Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

46 Percent Americans Believe In Creationism According To Latest Gallup Poll

Forty six percent Americans believed in creationism, 32 percent believed in theistic evolution and 15 percent believed in evolution without any divine intervention.

by Anonymousreply 7212/31/2013

And you think these whackos are going to buy into climate change, same-sex marriage and the individual healthcare mandate?!

by Anonymousreply 106/05/2012

Americans who believe in creationism are more likely to be Republican than Democrat or Independent, whereas those who believe in evolution are more likely to be Democrat or Independent, than Republican.

Interestingly, nearly an equal proportion of Republicans, Democrats and Independents believe in theistic evolution--meaning, we evolved but had some help and guidance from God.

by Anonymousreply 206/05/2012

by Anonymousreply 306/05/2012

This just in:

46% of Americans are fucking idiots.

by Anonymousreply 406/05/2012

This explains why the right wing is opposed to funding for education. Lambs to the slaughter.

by Anonymousreply 506/05/2012

46% have no understanding of logic or objectivity.

by Anonymousreply 606/05/2012

The US has some of the stupidest people on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 706/05/2012

It isn't 46% of Americans. It's 46% of the people they interviewed. Those are two VERY, VERY different things

by Anonymousreply 806/05/2012

Yes, and the poll was held at churches.

by Anonymousreply 906/05/2012

We're fucked aren't we?

by Anonymousreply 1006/05/2012

And THIS is why the Republicans continue to win elections. As long as you have a certain percentage of the population that is THIS ignorant compared to people in other Western countries, right-wing parties will continue to prey upon them.

Bill Maher was right when he said it years ago - a certain percentage of the population is just STUPID.

by Anonymousreply 1106/05/2012

This country is so doomed.

I find it unfathomable that there are that many people that are that ignorant... that uneducated... that willfully stupid...

(just shaking head)

by Anonymousreply 1206/05/2012

Poll results reflect who paid for the poll.

by Anonymousreply 1306/06/2012

No, R13, it's not that simple. It's a FACT that Americans are the most susceptible people in the Western world when it comes to the Bible No other Western country would allow someone like Rick Santorum to win so much support in an election, or allow major politicians to quote Biblical prophecies on the campaign trail.

These poll results may be too high in favor of creationism, but you act like they are totally far out. They are not. The day after Obama came out in favor of gay marriage, Mike Huckabee's radio show was full of talk about how history began with ADAM & EVE and goes though SODOM & GOMMORAH. Where else in the Western world do you think this sort of thing would go on?

Until the older, more ignorant generation dies off and is replaced with the younger, less religious one, we will continue to see large numbers of Biblical adherents in polls like this.

by Anonymousreply 1406/06/2012

Just change the USAs name to JESUSLAND.

by Anonymousreply 1506/06/2012

How the fuck does someone who thinks God created humans as they are now within the last 10,000 years get a postgraduate degree?

by Anonymousreply 1606/06/2012

Business majors, R16. You don't have to know anything about real life for that degree.

by Anonymousreply 1706/06/2012

This is a nation, not a religion. We need to get back on track here in the USA. Believe what you want, worship what you want, but damn it, this is a NATION.

by Anonymousreply 1806/06/2012

Just petulance.

Funny how much people act like baboons though. Saw a doc on social interactions in baboon tribe. Creationist teaching strictures would fit very well in that social group.

by Anonymousreply 1906/06/2012

The scariest part is not that Republicans believe this in a greater proportion than Democrats. The scary thing is that 41% of Democrats, 39% of Independents, and 58% of Republicans think God created man in the present form 10,000 years ago. Huh? And 25% of those with a post-graduate degree agree...

I can accept the belief that God guided evolution - it's not provable but it acknowledges evolution as a fundamental mechanism of life.

But why is this such an issue now? People have believed these same things in the same proportions for 30 years. But it says little for our ability as a country to make rational decisions. And I find that easy to believe.

by Anonymousreply 2006/12/2012

Is it wrong to believe in both Evolution and Creationism?

by Anonymousreply 2106/12/2012

by Anonymousreply 2206/12/2012

[quote]Is it wrong to believe in both Evolution and Creationism?

Um, YES!

by Anonymousreply 2306/12/2012

Considering how many nukes America has, that is TERRIFYING OP!

by Anonymousreply 2406/12/2012

Actually, all of these questions are quite valid!

by Anonymousreply 2506/12/2012

R21 you clearly have no idea what creationism means or espouses, which happens, but yes they are very much at odds.

And dear god that poll is not surprisingly but truly depressing. The state of education, especially science education, in this country is heart-breaking.

by Anonymousreply 2606/12/2012

Here Is What Louisiana Schoolchildren Learn About Evolution - Photos of science textbook at link

by Anonymousreply 2711/21/2012

See, I told you my pandering would pay off.

by Anonymousreply 2811/21/2012

It's Gallup, consider the source.

by Anonymousreply 2911/21/2012

Anyone who believes polls is too fucking stupid to live and likely a creationist.

by Anonymousreply 3011/21/2012

It's really something like 15%

by Anonymousreply 3111/21/2012

You have got to be fucking kidding me. That "textbook" from Louisiana is nothing but utter nonsense. "Fossils are probably the result of the great Flood recorded in the Bible." Probably? This is what passes for science in Louisiana?

And then there is this gem: "God's word is always accurate. We can trust it to be true even in areas of science." It is not possible that they are teaching kids this utter bullshit. For starters, if God's word as conveyed in the Bible is so damn accurate, then why does the Bible contain so many contradictory statements?

Finally, the authors of that tripe claim that Noah took the dinosaurs on the Ark along with all the other animals. Pure, unmitigated fantasy unsupported by even a shred of evidence.

by Anonymousreply 3211/21/2012

Pat Robertson has law degree from Yale. That should tell you that, at least for some, earning academic credentials is a ticket to being a carnival barker.

My favorite idiotic rhetoric is when one of these morons says "Evolution is just a theory." Of course it's a theory, Einstein; it's a theory which explains a fact.

Evolution, like the existence of gravity, is a fact. Newton's theory explains the fact of the existence of gravity. Darwin's theory explains the fact of evolution.

Quiz tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 3311/21/2012

Oh my god. R27 and R33 (Della), oh my god.

That "textbook" is just unbelievable. Literally unbelievable, of course, scientifically unsound and just incredibly fucking insane.

How could anyone with a college education (I presume this is required even in Louisiana) teach that crazy shit? Do they all get their degrees from those unaccredited bible colleges?

by Anonymousreply 3411/21/2012

Bullshit, R17. Believe in creationism is strongly negatively related to education level.

by Anonymousreply 3511/21/2012

This is the reason why only people who live in the coastal states should be allowed to vote.

by Anonymousreply 3611/21/2012

Marco Rubio knew what he was doing.

by Anonymousreply 3711/21/2012

Add about 5,000 active nuclear missiles to OPs title and it makes your spine crawl.

by Anonymousreply 3811/22/2012

[quote]coastal states should be allowed to vote.

like Mississippi and Louisiana?

by Anonymousreply 3911/22/2012

As long as American schools teach that the Sky Fairies are real, this will continue.

by Anonymousreply 4011/22/2012

Considering that our grandparents were generally much shorter and smaller than the current generation, and that Pygmys look very different from Swedes, how could someone not believe in Evolution, at least to some degree?

by Anonymousreply 4111/22/2012

The US is on the verge of a theocracy, with much of this country on the same level as the Taliban.

by Anonymousreply 4211/22/2012

When all US Presidents have to say they believe in God, the USA is already a Theocracy.

by Anonymousreply 4311/23/2012

It's a Gallup poll - their methods have been discredited. Ignore them. Next!

by Anonymousreply 4411/23/2012

Exactly, R44.

by Anonymousreply 4511/23/2012

A discussion in Chemistry class a typical American school.

Q: When sodium bicarbonate is mixed with water, why does is make the water bubble?

A: Because it reacts with the Oxygen in the water creating HCO3?

B: Because Jesus makes the water bubble?

by Anonymousreply 4711/23/2012

Living in an urban city, I sometimes forget that there are people in other parts of the country who are totally backward. I could not live in the midwest or south due to this; I am way too confrontational over politics and organized religion and prefer being around like-minded people. I used to respect other peoples' religious beliefs but I don't anymore because so much of those core beliefs are based on bigotry and hate.

by Anonymousreply 4811/23/2012

I live in a rural city, R48, much nicer.

by Anonymousreply 4911/23/2012

There is a billboard down the road from me that says "What does the bible say about the US and Egypt?" Well, these rightwing whackaloons have co-opted the "Eagle" that means Rome into the United States. These stupid prophecies about Rome never came true and now they're going to shoehorn a country that didn't even exist for thousands of years into it? Ben Franklin was right, we should've used the turkey for our official bird.

by Anonymousreply 5011/23/2012

You can't believe in God (at least not the Christian God) and evolution without completely reinterpreting one or the other.

If you accept that the only way you can know the God of Christianity is through the Bible (after all, there is no other source) then nothing in the Bible would suggest that God played any role in evolution.

Notwithstanding the lack of any biblical references, how would it work in practice? Where along the evolutionary spectrum did God hand out souls? When did sin kick in? Evolution is so unbelievably slow that there would be no particular point in time when religious law would suddenly apply.

What we see are people desperately trying to force contemporary scientific knowledge to connect with a first Century CE understanding of the world. It really is much easier to recognize the improbability of Christianity, and, no matter how painful it may be, just let it go.

It may be fair enough to think that some higher power played a role in evolution, so you can still find some level of spiritual comfort in the supernatural if you need it. Personally, I find the world interesting enough without it.

by Anonymousreply 5111/23/2012

God believes in you!

by Anonymousreply 5211/23/2012

Creations have creators.

by Anonymousreply 5311/23/2012

48% of Republicans believe that humans have always existed in their present form.

by Anonymousreply 5412/30/2013

It's hard to believe nearly half of all Americans are that fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 5512/30/2013

[quote]15 percent believed in evolution without any divine intervention

I can't tell you how very good it feels to be in the top 15% smartest people in the whole country!

by Anonymousreply 5612/30/2013

In the Beginning Man created God......

The Abrahamic traditions are a pox on humanity.

by Anonymousreply 5712/30/2013

[quote]Living in an urban city, I sometimes forget that there are people in other parts of the country who are totally backward. I could not live in the midwest or south due to this; I am way too confrontational over politics and organized religion and prefer being around like-minded people. I used to respect other peoples' religious beliefs but I don't anymore because so much of those core beliefs are based on bigotry and hate.

Oh for God's sake R48, plenty of those in the midwest are atheists or tolerant Christians who have no problem accepting you as you are.

by Anonymousreply 5812/30/2013

The US aristocracy plans to create a slave class. This has been on the books since the days of Reagan. They are having much success in keeping the masses uneducated and superstitious. This makes for a good crop of Walmart workers.

by Anonymousreply 5912/30/2013

In other words, the US is among the most uneducated countries around the world.

by Anonymousreply 6012/30/2013

There is a large billboard above the highway with a photo of our downtown and the caption "Until Jesus runs this town". I shit you not. I find that so offensive and embarrassing, I mean what kind of fool do you have to be to find something like that profound?

by Anonymousreply 6112/30/2013

I went through a lot of religious schooling and Bible Study.

We were always taught that you don't read the Bible for science and history. The point of Bible Study is to learn what in the Bible is specific to the cultures in which is was written so you could separate out the spiritual message.

Don't they do Bible study in Louisiana? Or is that just a northern thing.

by Anonymousreply 6212/30/2013

[quote]So they believe in their religious beliefs over science, so what?!

Are you kidding me??

Just how fucking stupid are you?!?

by Anonymousreply 6412/30/2013

You can believe in both science and divine intervention. Great theory about the 6 'days' in the Bible being 6 epochs, because a day couldn't have meant how we defined it anyway since there was no earth to rotate around its axis. So the Bible closely defines the order of events over millions of years: first there was light, then the heavens took form, etc. This creation took place over roughly 6 equal time periods if you take into account time slowing down as the universe expands. The difference from pure evolutionists is that God oversaw the creation instead of it happening randomly. Look it up, really compelling theory.

by Anonymousreply 6512/30/2013

R63 So religious believe is more complex than science?

by Anonymousreply 6612/30/2013

Sure they do, R62. And it is almost always done by uneducated white men using it to show their superiority.

by Anonymousreply 6712/30/2013

R63, for years I was around many educated people who could combine religion and science. They did just fine until the crazy bible-thumpers took over.

by Anonymousreply 6812/30/2013

Does this include the young, retarded, and elderly?

by Anonymousreply 6912/30/2013

R65 = Andrew Sullivan

by Anonymousreply 7012/31/2013

[quote]So the Bible closely defines the order of events over millions of years

Except that according you your theory and what appears in Genesis, plants appeared long before the sun was created despite the fact that plants need sunlight in order to survive.

by Anonymousreply 7112/31/2013

This is why we hate them.

by Anonymousreply 7212/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!