Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hidden racism from people that shocked you

Last night I had dinner with an older couple (one is hardcore fiscal republican but socially liberal, the other one votes both ways and is actually more socially conservative) and they, as usual, got on the subject of politics. They don't like Obama but I had never realized before how much so. They both got angry and agitated when I said that while I wasn't crazy about Obama I would not vote for Romney. One of them lost their temper and basically said "we have to get the black man out of the White House". Shocked silence from me before I told them that skin color should not matter when voting to which they then tried to recover and say they like SOME black people.

I really was shocked because I'd never realized they really were that racist. Maybe it's just their age but now I don't want to talk to them. Anyone else known people and then realized their true feelings? Did you punch and delete?

by Anonymousreply 1706/23/2013

I work in a DC Government Affairs office. The company I work for is actually a liberal foreign owned entity but they hired mostly Republicans because the Hill is dominated by them these days. Anyway, a couple of black kids walked in front of our car showing no respect for traffic signals bouncing a basketball, and the guy I was with just kind of laughed and said something like I should hit them, theyre just going to grow up to be monsters anyway. I couldn't believe it. The girl I was with who is more liberal and younger said nothing but kind of agreed. Gross!

by Anonymousreply 106/05/2012

There is no such thing as a fiscal republican socially liberal. One pays for the other. You can be independent and vote with your conscience and not for a party or platform, but you can't claim to be both.

by Anonymousreply 206/05/2012

R2 he is hardcore republican and votes straight ticket but supports a woman's right to choose and equal benefits for gay spouses but doesn't seem to believe that his party is focusing on these issues. Don't ask me how justifies it in his head.

by Anonymousreply 306/05/2012

Bullshit R2, you can claim to be anything.

by Anonymousreply 406/05/2012

Yes, OP - Punch and Delete.

My brother actually said "I ain't voting for no n*****" What a fucking tool.

by Anonymousreply 506/05/2012

If he votes straight ticket Republican, he is a Republican, OP. And apparently married to a racist.

by Anonymousreply 606/05/2012

...and my mother said..."I would rather vote for a black man than a Mormon."

by Anonymousreply 706/05/2012

[quote][R2] he is hardcore republican and votes straight ticket but supports a woman's right to choose and equal benefits for gay spouses

Forgive me, but that's complete horseshit.

It's like Elisabeth Hasselbeck going on about how she's in favor of marriage equality when she openly supports only politicians who want it banned via amendment.

by Anonymousreply 806/05/2012

thank you Votn.

by Anonymousreply 906/05/2012

I think many more of us are having this experience since Obama was elected. I know that people who are smarter and better than I would continue a relationship with this couple and never miss an opportunity to explain politely why you disagree with them. That does more good than anything. I usually punch and delete because I'm not big enough to handle it. I welcome any advice on how to do better. I recently started having my mother's mail forwarded to me because she has dementia. The "political" stuff she receives from her Republican buddies is as evil and racist as anything I could imagine. I didn't think I could be shocked any more, but I am shocked.

by Anonymousreply 1006/05/2012

If I do R10 it will be hard. Their favorite topic is politics and one of them gets very angry and nasty, and will start shouting, if you disagree with him. The other half isn't so bad and is more reasonable to debate.

by Anonymousreply 1106/05/2012

You must like it, OP.

I wouldn't have anything to do with this couple.

Especially since one of them starts yelling if you don't agree with him.

That is fucking crazy!

by Anonymousreply 1206/05/2012

Of course I am disgusted by the "old people" the OP cites. I loathe the pretended friends of civil rights who in fact support haters.

And when ANYONE attempts to draw a comparison between those statements and my complete refusal to vote for a Mormon leader or an evangelical Christian, I remind them that race, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin and the like are very different from being members of anti-equal-rights organizations.

When a presumptive nominee has declared that businesses are people, too, I can picture all sorts of insanity arising concerning the civil rights of these right-wing and craven corporations. But we're already there - look at the language of the Catholics' (I was raised as one) suits against provision of equal health services as they suck billions of free federal dollars for the "care" they are "providing."

by Anonymousreply 1306/05/2012

It sucks OP but remember, those people think every black, Mexican, Chinese person is the exact same. Should we be shocked that these assholes think every white person is the same too? Racist? I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 1406/05/2012

Two pieces of advice, R10 and OP:

1) Try really hard to not take it personally and get irate. I know it's really tough when you read/hear the evil ignorant rants, but try to imagine those idiots as, well, idiots (in the original sense of the word). Or pretend they're children who don't know any better.

OP, that way you can engage them like an elementary schoolteacher would, quietly and calmly. "Geezer 1, why, exactly, does a black man in the White House anger you so? What, specifically has he done that offends you in a way other Democratic Presidents haven't? I never heard you speak that way about President Clinton. Do you honestly believe black people are inferior to other races? Why do you think so--I believe Obama is one of the most intelligent Presidents we've had, even if I detest some of his decisions. I'm not baiting you; I just want to understand your POV."

R10: "Strom, why did you say that the way you did? We didn't use that type of language growing up. I can understand your being partisan, but not bigoted. Do you also consider Michael Steele, Justice Thomas, Jr Watts, Herman Cain and Colin Powell "niggers," too? They all are Republicans, and better-educated and more accomplished than either you or me, so what gives, Brother?"

2) Laugh in their faces as if you think they're pulling your leg. "*guffaws* Come on, Geezer1/Brother Strom--you've gotta be KIDDING me! It's 2012, not 1912! That's the funniest thing I've heard all week! Seriously, though--what gives? Of blacks can vote for a white candidate who is imperfect and often ignores their issues, why are you above doing the same with a black candidate?"

Reach one, teach one, y'know? Even if their minds don't change, you won't feel so impotent.

by Anonymousreply 1506/05/2012

>>There is no such thing as a fiscal republican socially liberal.

There's no such thing. In the 1970's there might have been. But it's 2012. The repugs got us into this fiscal mess. They are all for corporate welfare, but they are against any type of help for people in emergency situations. They're all for military spending and wars, but they're against food stamps and health care for poor children. Shit, they're actually against health care for all poor people.

And lets not forget that the republican party is against gay rights. They are. It's legal in 35 states to fire someone just because they are gay. If the repugs had their way, it would be legal in all 50 states. They want to ban abortions and birth control. They do. That's the fucking republican party for you. The fact that's how they are about social issues makes me forget about any supposed fiscal issues they claim to be for. And as I've said above, they are NOT fiscally conservative and they haven't been for many, many decades

by Anonymousreply 1606/05/2012

Hey y'all!

by Anonymousreply 1706/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.