Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jennifer Beals

Decent actress, looks have held up well. Why no career at all post "The L-Word"?

by Anonymousreply 9301/29/2013

She was in a show last year. It just didn't catch on.

by Anonymousreply 105/31/2012

She starred in 'The Chicago Code' last year, and frankly, was excellent. The show was one of my favorites, and it was a shame that it flopped in the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 205/31/2012

How about her for Amanda's mom on Revenge? Might be fun to see her and Madeline Stowe go toe to toe.

by Anonymousreply 305/31/2012

She can't act.

by Anonymousreply 405/31/2012

She was just in a CBS pilot that didn't get picked up. She's competing in a demographic with lots of great actresses starving for the very few parts.

by Anonymousreply 505/31/2012

She's been busy - had a pilot (didn't get picked up), appeared on Castle.

by Anonymousreply 605/31/2012

[R4], not exactly. Looking at her entire career, she's been uneven. Beginning about 10 years ago with Roger Dodger, she's been doing good work.

by Anonymousreply 705/31/2012

I love her. She was in Devil in a Blue Dress, with Denzel and Don Cheadle. Great movie. Cheadle steals the show though.

by Anonymousreply 805/31/2012

She had a recurring role in Lie to Me.

by Anonymousreply 905/31/2012

What R4 said, but then again, a lot of actors can't act and never stop appearing in TV shows and movies.

Beals looks incredible for her age. Isn't she nearing 50 or something? Based on her looks alone she should have had a better career. Maybe she is not all that ambitious...

by Anonymousreply 1005/31/2012

She doesn't look incredible for her age. She looks incredible, period.

Very sexy woman.

by Anonymousreply 1106/01/2012

Agreed R11

by Anonymousreply 1206/01/2012

It's always baffled me that she hasn't done better. She is incredibly HOT.

I agree she cannot act very well, but she is no less talented than an awful lot of more high profile actresses.

She's the most articulate gay-rights, female celebrity out there.

by Anonymousreply 1306/01/2012

She was brilliant in Last Days of Disco...a small part, but she was great!

by Anonymousreply 1406/01/2012

Beals is over 50 already, but still looks amazing.

by Anonymousreply 1506/01/2012

Half-black don't crack.

by Anonymousreply 1606/01/2012

She hit huge with 'Flashdance,' all those many years ago, and was supposed to be the next big thing. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 1806/01/2012

Isn't she an ironworker by trade?

by Anonymousreply 1906/01/2012

She's a skilled welder. That I know.

by Anonymousreply 2006/01/2012

Why do people always assume that actors just want to work, work, work? Sometimes actors take time off to tend to their families or have health concerns or hold down the fort while their creative spouse works, etc. They're not superheros. They have to manage their lives and careers like anybody else.

The question is always asked around here, "Why didn't so-and-so have a BIGGER career?" Maybe because they didn't want it. Maybe their career suits them just fine.

by Anonymousreply 2106/01/2012

So true r21, I remember there was a movement by her fan club to get her a star on the hollywood walk and fame, and she contacted them and said don't bother, she didn't want it.

I think she is doing exactly what she wants to do with her life and career.

by Anonymousreply 2206/01/2012

R4 hit the nail on the head.

by Anonymousreply 2306/01/2012

Agreed r21.

by Anonymousreply 2506/01/2012

[quote]It's been perfect. I can still ride a subway and work with great people. I can't imagine being Julia Roberts. I don't have the fortitude to withstand that kind of attention.

From her IMDb bio. She sounds pretty content where she is.

by Anonymousreply 2606/01/2012

Loved her in Twilight of the Golds, with Faye Dunaway chewing on the scenery as the Jewish mother.

by Anonymousreply 2806/01/2012

On Twitter as of Friday

by Anonymousreply 3006/26/2012

Awesome - thanks R30. I love her.

by Anonymousreply 3106/26/2012

She has the worst fashion sense!

by Anonymousreply 3206/26/2012

What about "The l word" she had an affair with Laurel Holloman?

by Anonymousreply 3308/15/2012

Jennifer Beals stars in new WIGS web series Lauren.

Lauren | Ep. 1 of 3 | Feat. Troian Bellisario & Jennifer Beals | WIGS

by Anonymousreply 3508/15/2012

She fucked most of the cast of The L Word and got herself a reputation. She was photographed adjusting her shirt coming out of Lish's trailer on more than one occasion.

by Anonymousreply 3608/15/2012

How do you know, r36?

by Anonymousreply 3708/15/2012

She and Vanessa Williams are always competing for the same roles.

by Anonymousreply 3808/15/2012

Well that proves it, r36.

by Anonymousreply 3908/15/2012

Thanks R35

by Anonymousreply 4008/15/2012

Sometimes she cries silent tears full of pride.

by Anonymousreply 4108/15/2012

I don't know anything about that R41. But she did take her passion and make it happen and now she appears to be dancing through her life.

by Anonymousreply 4208/15/2012

I'm just sad she doesn't do more vocal and dance work.

There is a fairly large contingent of women here in the Midwest who owe their entire 'look' to the Jennifer Beals of the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 4308/15/2012

Her performance in the Wigs series is really really good.

by Anonymousreply 4408/16/2012

Good one R43- I love you!

by Anonymousreply 4508/16/2012

True, R43. 'Flashdance' kicked off the (hideous) frizzy perm style that dominated the rest of the 80s, and it's a style that many a flyover gal still clings to to this very day.

by Anonymousreply 4608/16/2012

She needs to sell beauty products on qvc like Vanessa williams

by Anonymousreply 4708/16/2012

"It's always baffled me that she hasn't done better. She is incredibly HOT."

She's not that interesting or talented; those are the reasons why she never became a star. She was the star of "Flashdance", which was an unbelieveable hit (although widely considered to be one of the worst movies of all time) but she didn't get the role because of her talent. She got the role over other contenders (Demi Moore was one) because, after polling some male viewers, it was decided that she was the one that most men would want to fuck.

God, "Flashdance" was a piece of shit. Her character was a welder (by the looks of it she lives in a warehouse) by day and a stripper/dancer at night, but her dream was to become a BALLET dancer! Ballet dancing takes years of rigorous, demanding, punishing training that begins during childhood; her character is in her late teens or early twenties and knows nothing about ballet dancing but when she auditions for ballet school (her audition features no ballet dancing) her observers are bowled over by her leaping and writhing around.

The dance sequences are funny as hell. It's obviously NOT Jennifer Beals doing the dancing and leaping into the air; in fact, the break-dancing is done by a GUY! That got some flak I recall, that the dance sequences were fake.

by Anonymousreply 4808/16/2012

I don't understand her appeal.

by Anonymousreply 4908/17/2012

Aside from the fact that she is not a very good actress, she doesn't seem to be able to physically transform for a part. Not only that, but she looks the same off and on camera. It's bizarre for an actor to be so stubbornly "the same."

by Anonymousreply 5008/17/2012

The only thing people remember from Flashdance is the title song. Even the Charlie Brown spoof, "Flash Beagle" is better known

by Anonymousreply 5108/17/2012

"She was the star of "Flashdance", which was an unbelieveable hit (although widely considered to be one of the worst movies of all time) but she didn't get the role because of her talent. She got the role over other contenders (Demi Moore was one) because, after polling some male viewers, it was decided that she was the one that most men would want to fuck."

Hi, Demi! Sour grapes is not your color, hon.

Jennifer Beals is gorgeous. There is no denying that. She's talented enough to act more. For God's sake, Sarah Jessica Parker, Drew Barrymore and Jennifer Aniston continue to act, but they are no more talented, and you could argue they are less talented. Aside from that, however, I had read that J. Beals got married to a fairly successful director and lived a normal life, acting when she felt like it. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, the idea that she never wanted to be the center of the viewing public's attention is rather refreshing. Good for you, Ms. Beals. Still waiting for Flashdance 2, but would like to see you play a Mommie Dearest-type to an aspiring dancer daughter. You could tear that role up!

by Anonymousreply 5208/17/2012

She was good on The L Word and in Lie to Me.

by Anonymousreply 5308/17/2012

R52 here. If R48 isn't one of the actresses who lost out to Beals, it may be Roger Ebert. I never understood his hatred of this film. He really seemed to go out of his way to despise it, and he usually liked movies with women in various states of undress. (Although I always believed he was really a closet queen.) Maybe he felt HE should have played the role of Alex in "Flashdance"? That would have been something to behold!

by Anonymousreply 5408/17/2012

Dawn Steel from Paramount?

by Anonymousreply 5608/18/2012

She has no demographic (other than lesbians). She's (does not look) not 100% white, she does not recognize her black demographic to support her arse.....

by Anonymousreply 5708/18/2012

Why would anyone hire a decent actress whose looks have held up well when they could hire one of a slew of her contemporaries who are brilliant actresses whose looks have held up well?

by Anonymousreply 5808/19/2012

She is underrated. She is incredibly beautiful inside out and a very moving actress.

by Anonymousreply 5911/27/2012

She has joined the cast of the Mob Doctor playing a Carmela Soprano type mob wife.

TPTB hope the signing of Beals to stir up trouble will boost the ratings, like Heather Locklear did on Melrose Place.

They need a pot stirrer and hope Beals will be it.

by Anonymousreply 6011/27/2012

Lucy was originally offered the role of Alex Owens in Flashdance. Gary talked her out of it. He convinced her that wearing all those torn shirts would ruin her glamor girl image. It's too bad. Lucy started out as a hoofer and updating her onscreen dancing would have brought her a whole new generation of fans.

by Anonymousreply 6111/27/2012

Jennifer has a nice voice too... She's doing her own singing in 'They Shoot Divas, Don't They'

by Anonymousreply 6211/27/2012

The second song she sang for this movie is this one...

by Anonymousreply 6311/27/2012

I find her very underrated. After the L Word she should star in great movies. I wonder what happened? Maybe she has other priorities in her life, anyway. She seems a very caring and thoughtful woman. I like her and respect her a lot.

by Anonymousreply 6412/08/2012

A kind, understanding and clever woman. She is very right with a gentle way in her interviews. She seems to be a considerate and sincere person.

by Anonymousreply 6512/08/2012

Beautiful, talented, spiritual and a good person

Your face is light Jennifer Beals

Take care

by Anonymousreply 6612/08/2012

She makes the difference. I like a lot of actors and actresses and i feel that Jennifer is very special. Actually a lot of old actors are talented and gifted, but Jennifer Beals is also a person that seems to be genuine, humble, intelligent and with a wise good heart. She stands out.

by Anonymousreply 6712/08/2012

A lot of younger women who were babies when Flashdance came out are fans of hers because of the L Word (which was very popular with straight women).

by Anonymousreply 6812/08/2012

Actually, i'm not very impressed by 'Flashdance', although i think that Beals was great in it and i liked the soundtrack. However, the movie was not... enough. But i'm still glad i have seen it. You liked it?

by Anonymousreply 6912/08/2012

The L Word

Devil in a Blue Dress

The Book of Eli

In the Soup

The Anniversary Party

Mrs.Parker and the Vicious Circle

Vampire's Kiss

Jennifer has played in some really good movies. All the above are performances of hers that i appreciate a lot. She is really nice!

by Anonymousreply 7012/08/2012

I really liked her on the Chicago Code. Too bad it didn't get a full season pick-up.

I follow her on Twitter and I get the feeling she is really smart. She seems to have scientific curiosity.

And I can't believe she's almost 50! God did her up good!

by Anonymousreply 7112/08/2012

She twitters really? She contradicts herself then! However, i'm pretty sure than unlike most people who are on Twitter, she is meaningful and sincere.

by Anonymousreply 7212/09/2012

Give it a rest r72. No matter how 'gentle and sincere' she is, she ain't gonna fuck your dyke ass. Move on.

by Anonymousreply 7312/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 7412/09/2012

; )

by Anonymousreply 7512/09/2012

Jennifer Beals is deserving. I have no doubts about that. What do you think of her guys?

by Anonymousreply 7612/09/2012

From her twitter account

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.

Had to go find it after it was mentioned here. Love the humor.

by Anonymousreply 7712/09/2012

R48 is so right. Flashdance was a piece of shit with a ridiculous plot. it was, however, a marketing phenomenon. Decent soundtrack, for the times anyway. It was a hit mainly because it essentially spliced together music videos to the soundtrack. I was a teenager in the 80s and the soundtrack was a huge hit. It definitely made the movie more popular than it should have been. Quintessential 80s marketing idea attached to the movie. Jennifer Beals is beautiful and her images in the videos bolstered their popularity. Every girl in my school adopted the sweatshirt-sliding-off-the-shoulder look.

I always thought the movie sucked, even as a teenager, but I had a crush on Michael Nouri who played her boss. I had fantasized about him ever since he played Dracula in a flop TV series call Cliffhangers. Thanks to Flashdance, I had even more fantasies after that.

by Anonymousreply 7812/09/2012

I hope we'll get to see her in a brilliant movie. She has proved to us that she can be outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 7912/09/2012

She is beautiful and inside and it seems so, that's what makes her irresistible.

by Anonymousreply 8012/09/2012

Yikes, r59. You seriously have a crush in her.

by Anonymousreply 8112/09/2012

I know who you are R81...despite your hiding away.

You stalked me before, you think i didn't noticed that?

Don't be so creepy, ok? You scare me!

I love beautiful people who have offered their soul and their body to art. Get over your....whatever possessed you to stalk me.

by Anonymousreply 8212/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 8312/09/2012

I get the feeling she doesn't care about stardom. She is one of the most classy and beautiful actresses, maybe because she isn't overexposed. I think she would be a much bigger star if she was white.

by Anonymousreply 8412/09/2012

I know she is mixed and all, but she looks like a White woman to me. I don't think her being half-Black has anything at all to do with her low-key fame.

by Anonymousreply 8512/31/2012

I don't either, R85. She does look white, and often plays roles that are obviously written with white women in mind (only white actresses auditioned for "Flashdance"--including Demi Moore, and she played white in "Devil in a Blue Dress"). She is gorgeous and almost looks the same now as she did in "Flashdance".

by Anonymousreply 8601/01/2013

What gay men feel about Jennifer Beals? Seriously i want to know!

by Anonymousreply 8701/12/2013

She is awesome, can they see that?

by Anonymousreply 8801/12/2013

A thoughtful beauty. A cool breeze as well...

by Anonymousreply 8901/12/2013

She is the opposite of ugly.

by Anonymousreply 9001/12/2013

Her career needs a boost cause she is damn gorgeous.

She deserves to be in great movies, cause she is awesome!

by Anonymousreply 9101/29/2013

I love that she is a nerd always posting about science etc on her twitter.

by Anonymousreply 9201/29/2013

I like a lot Jennifer as you can guess but i don't have the patience to explore Twitter. So as it comes to Miss Beals, i prefer reading her interviews or seeing her movies. I don't find Twitter very handy but i recognize the fact that i belong to the minority. Most people find Twitter awesome.

Really, she loves posting about science?

Hehe, cute.

by Anonymousreply 9301/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!