Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Former Rep. Artur Davis, ex-Obama backer, leaves Democratic Party for GOP

May 30, 2012

Artur Davis, one of President Obama’s earliest supporters and a former co-chairman for his presidential campaign, announced Tuesday that he was leaving the Democratic Party for good.

In a post published Tuesday on his website, Davis was vague about his future political endeavors, but declared: “If I were to run, it would be as a Republican. And I am in the process of changing my voter registration from Alabama to Virginia, a development which likely does represent a closing of one chapter and perhaps the opening of another.”

Davis, who represented Alabama’s 7th Congressional District from 2003 to 2011, was notably the first member of Congress outside of Illinois to endorse then-Sen. Obama’s 2008 presidential bid. And it was Davis who seconded the official nomination of Obama at the 2008 Democratic National Convention.

Along with making hints at the future, Davis reflected on his experiences as a Democrat, and condemned the path he believes the party is taking.

Renouncing the party “is no light decision on my part,” he wrote. “Cutting ties with an Alabama Democratic Party that has weakened and lost faith with more and more Alabamians every year is one thing; leaving a national party that has been the home for my political values for two decades is quite another.”

But “wearing a Democratic label no longer matches what I know about my country and its possibilities,” he said.

“On the specifics, I have regularly criticized an agenda that would punish businesses and job creators with more taxes just as they are trying to thrive again,” he said. “I have taken issue with an administration that has lapsed into a bloc by bloc appeal to group grievances when the country is already too fractured: frankly, the symbolism of Barack Obama winning has not given us the substance of a united country.”

Given Davis’ previous stances on pivotal Obama policies, his departure from the party can’t be too much of a surprise. Davis was the sole member of the Congressional Black Caucus to vote against Obama’s healthcare reform legislation in 2010. He also ran a relatively conservative campaign for the governorship of Alabama in 2010, but failed to win a primary battle against then-Agriculture Commissioner Ron Sparks, losing by a margin of 25 percentage points. After the loss, Davis declared he would no longer seek public office.

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s campaign has heralded Davis’ retreat from the Democratic Party as evidence of “mounting opposition among Democrats to President Obama’s campaign message and tactics,” in a release sent out Wednesday.

by Anonymousreply 2612/05/2012

Uncle Artur, you make us happy!

by Anonymousreply 105/31/2012

[quote]“On the specifics, I have regularly criticized an agenda that would punish businesses and job creators with more taxes just as they are trying to thrive again,” he said. “I have taken issue with an administration that has lapsed into a bloc by bloc appeal to group grievances when the country is already too fractured: frankly, the symbolism of Barack Obama winning has not given us the substance of a united country.”

How exactly does that differ from Limbaugh or Karl Rove, exactly? I have no idea how he came to be an Obama supporter, but it's crystal clear: the President has never been where Davis is.

Job creators are doing just fine, thank you, and should both hire and pay their taxes like good Americans should.

by Anonymousreply 205/31/2012

[quote]Job creators are doing just fine, thank you, and should both hire and pay their taxes like good Americans should.

Especially when most of them are creating jobs in places like Bangladesh.

by Anonymousreply 305/31/2012

Perhaps he wants to compete with Herman Cain for most-high profile Black Republican.

It sounds like he thinks the GOP's disastrous fiscal policy is just fine with him.

by Anonymousreply 405/31/2012

Some people will do anything for money. I think African Americans need to take a cold hard look at why, while the people remain fixed in solidarity, so many "leaders" sell their opinions for pocket change.

by Anonymousreply 505/31/2012

He's gay. Married to a beard.

by Anonymousreply 605/31/2012

"“Cutting ties with an Alabama Democratic Party that has weakened and lost faith with more and more Alabamians every year is one thing"

Because Alabamians become more and more batshit ignorant every year. And how many federal dollars go to that Redest of Red states.

But, by all means, keep fucking that chicken.

by Anonymousreply 705/31/2012

He just wants to be re-elected.

Alabama is red, red, RED and he's just going along to get along.

A desperate ploy for political survival, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 805/31/2012

I knew Artur in law school. He would never shut up, and always thought he should have the last word, even over established scholars.

Classic incident in Kathleen Sullivan's class: The discussion had been raging on for far too long and class had to move on. Sullivan told everyone to put their hands down unless they had something brilliant to say. One person left his hand up. Guess whose it was? (And no, his comment was not brilliant.)

Artur is desperate to run for office, or at least run his mouth on television. I'm sure he thinks black Republicans are now in vogue since Obama has won the Presidency, the easiest way to be asked to be on television is to be a black Republican.

Good riddance as a Democrat, but I fear this means he will be given far too many audiences, more than he deserves.

by Anonymousreply 905/31/2012

Thanks for the info, R9

by Anonymousreply 1005/31/2012

Romney's people will put this clown on every station that will have him, as proof that it's ok to be black and not argee with Obama.

by Anonymousreply 1105/31/2012

[quote]He's gay. Married to a beard.

When I was in seventh grade I competed against him in the Alabama state spelling bee, and I remember my pre-gay self thinking he was a little queen.

by Anonymousreply 1205/31/2012

Why do idiots like this think 'unifying' means being like the straight, white establishment? And the Dems are Nazis?

by Anonymousreply 1305/31/2012

House Negro

by Anonymousreply 1405/31/2012

Davis seemed the likely choice to win the Democratic nomination for governor in Alabama. And then he ran what I thought was one of the worst campaigns I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 1505/31/2012

What an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1605/31/2012

"Perhaps he wants to compete with Herman Cain for most-high profile Black Republican."

I beg your pardon?

by Anonymousreply 1705/31/2012

Don't forget about me, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 1805/31/2012

$$ BOUGHT $$

Every four years, the Republicans find a Southern Democrat that they bribe with money and/or power to switch parties. The list of turncoat shitbags is lengthy...you could even start with Strom Thurmond in the late 1950's.

Phil Gramm, Richard Shelby, Ben Nighthorse Campbell, Zell Miller...they all have some breast-beating tale about how difficult it was to make the decision, but they finally felt they had no choice. They never mention the fact that being a Republican just happened to be much more lucrative for them personally. There's a special circle of hell for these creeps.

Watch a demographic tilt in some southern states, especially Texas and Florida, and guys like this will become harder to buy off.

by Anonymousreply 1905/31/2012

You make a good point with the Zell Miller comparison.

It's an interesting coincidence that just around election time there is often a Democrat who goes through a soul-searching process and decides that he can no longer bring himself to be a Democrat and decides to embrace the GOP.

Zell Miller did that during the Bush years - right before one of the Republican Conventions (and was even a speaker at one if I recall correctly). And now we have another Democrat doing it just as another Presidential Election begins.

by Anonymousreply 2005/31/2012

what does this uncle tom have to say now?

by Anonymousreply 2112/04/2012

None of these people are sincere. None of them.

by Anonymousreply 2212/04/2012

Some nobody no one's ever heard of is cementing his obscurity. Lovely!

by Anonymousreply 2312/04/2012

[quote]Along with making hints at the future, Davis reflected on his experiences as a Democrat, and condemned the path he believes the party is taking.

His opinion is rendered null and void given the party he's moving to, and the path IT'S been on for the last decade or three.

by Anonymousreply 2412/05/2012

I bet Mr. Davis is having 2nd thoughts about hitching his wagon to Romney & Company, now.

by Anonymousreply 2512/05/2012

[quote]Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s campaign has heralded Davis’ retreat from the Democratic Party as evidence of [bold]“mounting opposition[/bold] among Democrats to President Obama’s campaign message and tactics,” in a release sent out Wednesday.

Apparently, that turned out to be more like a molehill.

by Anonymousreply 2612/05/2012
Need more help? Click Here.