Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Best episodes of "Agatha Christie's Poirot" with David Suchet?

Sometimes the novels that aren't very good make quite good episodes/features for Suchet's Poirot series. For example, I thought they did a marvelous job with "Hallowe'en Party," one of the weakest of all Christie's books.

My favorites, though, have been the ones with the craziest Art Deco sets and costumes, like "Death in the Clouds."

by Anonymousreply 3012/09/2012

The re-makes of "Death on the Nile" and "Murder on the Orient Express" are surprisingly good, and very different from the earlier films.

by Anonymousreply 105/30/2012

Still waiting for one. The one-note treatment of the first couple of decades, followed by the inscrutably and inappropriately pinched characterization changes in the more recent episodes, leave one wishing for something better. But most of us realized the mistake when he was first hired.

by Anonymousreply 205/30/2012

I think he's a great Poirot, R2. Any lack of depth can be attributed to Christie's poor characterizations. She was a pretty terrible writer, who just happened to have a good brain for puzzles.

by Anonymousreply 305/30/2012

"...leave one wishing for something better."

"one"? Ooh, we [italic]are[/italic] grand, Lady Mary, aren't we?

by Anonymousreply 405/30/2012

The one where he solves the murder!

by Anonymousreply 505/30/2012

I recently saw "The Mystery of the Blue Train" and I was surprised at how much fin the great Lindsay Duncan had in it as a blowsy society parasite.

Even more surprising was Elliot Gould, who played the murdered girl's millionaire father--he just cannot act at all! I mean, he is so stilted and wooden he always sounds exactly like he's reciting lines. But wasn't he a huge Hollywood leading man in the early 1970s, playing starring roles for Robert Altman? how did he get parts like that? Certainly not on his looks.

by Anonymousreply 605/30/2012

Christie considered "Blue Train" her worst novel.

by Anonymousreply 705/30/2012

Although critics have not shared that opinion, r7. And it's no wonder she hated it: it's the one she was working on when she had found out about her husband's infidelity and when she then disappeared for several days.

by Anonymousreply 805/30/2012

I love the fact that Christie wrote an autobiography - and blithely omitted any reference to her famous disappearance!

Rather refreshing in these days of - as Patsy Stone would say - "two-a-penny tarts of recent times, you know, kiss-and-tell, blurt it all out for the promise of a quick buck and instant fame."

by Anonymousreply 905/30/2012

In no particular order:

Hercule Poirot's Christmas Cat among the pigeons Evil under the sun Death on the Nile Murder on the links Dumb witness Death in the clouds

Three of the saddest episodes, but still very well done

Appointment with death Five little pigs Sad cypress

by Anonymousreply 1112/08/2012

Murder in Mesopotamia, Sad Cypress, and The Hollow are all good.

Of the most recent ones, Hallowe'en Party is brilliantly done - very stylish (Mark Gatiss wrote it). Five Little Pigs, Cat Among the Pigeons and Appointment with Death are good.

by Anonymousreply 1212/08/2012

I have to say, though, that I think with "Orient Express" (a big disappointment), "Death on the NIle," and especially "Evil Under the Sun," the big screen versions are better. The TV versions may be more accurate to the book, but none of the films is as good as the earlier features.

by Anonymousreply 1312/08/2012

"After the Funeral" episode, just because Michael Fassbender is in it.

by Anonymousreply 1412/08/2012

I liked the gay angle they added to Five Little Pigs.

by Anonymousreply 1512/08/2012

Yea, I do agree that the earlier versions of Death on the Nile and Evil under the sun were perhaps stronger as they had a larger budgets, I still do like both the David Suchet versions, you are correct in saying that they follow closely to the originals, but still there are some changes! Re the saddest episodes I mentioned, to this day I cannot watch them without weeping as the credits roll. I know they are only works of fiction, but I do find the three very emotive.

by Anonymousreply 1612/08/2012

The Plymouth Express.

by Anonymousreply 1712/08/2012

I don't get why Appointment with Death is so sad? I perfectly understand with Five Little Pigs and Sad Cypress, but what is so sad about Appointment with Death? The murder victim is a horrible person.

by Anonymousreply 1812/08/2012

There's also a big-screen Appointment With Death, with Lauren Bacall (and Ustinov) but it's the only one of the big-screen Poirots that disappoints.

by Anonymousreply 1912/08/2012

Mrs McGinty's Dead and Cards on the Table are my favorites, but I'll throw in Murder at the Vicarage with the lovely Janet McTeer as note-perfect, too.

Beautiful and sad, that would be Five Little Pigs.

by Anonymousreply 2012/08/2012

Are there new Suchets? The ones on Netflix are just 50 minute episodes, not full novels...where are you finding these?

by Anonymousreply 2112/08/2012

In the Suchet episodes, it's plainly clear that he and Hastings are lovers, which is interesting ... in the novels, they're more like old chums.

by Anonymousreply 2212/08/2012

It is because of the way she treated her children - that is why I find it so sad, yes she was a horrible person and I am not sad because she was the victim

by Anonymousreply 2312/08/2012

On App't with Death being sad--

Isn't the motive for the murder that she abused a little girl? And I think the murderers were the two parents of their now-grown daughter?

(Or am I thinking of another one?)

by Anonymousreply 2412/08/2012

R22, you are fantasizing. They are not a couple.

by Anonymousreply 2512/08/2012

R21, where have you been? There are dozens of full-novel, 90 minute to two hour Poirots. Everything for the last several years has been 90 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 2612/09/2012

Hastings was fucking both Miss Lemon and Poirot. Christie said so herself.

by Anonymousreply 2712/09/2012

R 27. Really? In which novel or story does it say that? I have read every one of her novels and short stories at least twice and never found a reference to any of that carry on!

by Anonymousreply 2812/09/2012

Has anybody else noticed that there is always some derision from other characters because Poirot is a "foreigner" or just badmouthing of foreigners in general? It happens at least once per episode. Why is this so prominent?

by Anonymousreply 2912/09/2012

Typical of the era Christie herself grew up in and started writing in, r29. Those kinds of references don't happen really (in the books) by the time Christie got to the 1960s.

But she kept her books "modern" - ie, they were happening in whatever time it was when she wrote. The TV movies, of course, can't do that, so the producers stuck with 1930s. And that "foreigner" attitude was still around then.

by Anonymousreply 3012/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!