Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Using Aerial Drones Domestically.

Does anyone else find this disturbing?

by Dustinreply 10301/29/2013

Very disturbing. Soon they'll be looking in our windows.

by Dustinreply 105/30/2012

The war companies still need to make money.

by Dustinreply 505/30/2012

If you really think Obama is behind this and its all his idea, you really ARE delusional.

Think how much worse it'd be with Republicans in power.

by Dustinreply 1005/30/2012

Yeah, right, the military industrial complex has nothing to say about this, and has NO influence, and just does whatever Obama says.

Wow.

You ARE delusional.

by Dustinreply 1305/30/2012

I do find it disturbing... don't they keep on accidently bombing people.

by Dustinreply 1405/30/2012

Is there anyone running for president that has opposed these drones, and called for them to be banned? That has sworn to end all domestic spying? That has called for an end to all the wars (including the drug war?) and tried to stop this madness???

Anyone!?!?

by Dustinreply 1505/30/2012

As Commander-in-Chief Obama is part of the Military Industrial Complex, R13.

by Dustinreply 1605/30/2012

The military-industrial complex took over the American government when they assassinated JFK.

Everyone from Dwight Eisenhower to Oliver Stone has tried to warn Americans about its danger.

Will they ever wake up?

by Dustinreply 1705/30/2012

"The US military has revealed that stronger and more powerful versions of the famed Predator drones, known as MQ-9 Reaper drones, are being fitted with missiles and other explosive ordinances as part of a deployment of 30,000 drones authorized to fly over the US by the NDAA and the armed drones will now be operating inside the United States."

by Dustinreply 1805/30/2012

Not anymore disturbing than Grinder.............

by Dustinreply 1905/31/2012

And who pushed the NDAA? Republicans.

(and blue-dogs)

And who had severe misgivings about it and issued signing statements? Obama.

by Dustinreply 2005/31/2012

There sure is, R15. The guy our corporate owned and operated media is doing everything they can to prevent from getting the nomination despite the enormous popular support he has.

by Dustinreply 2105/31/2012

[quote]Ron Paul is the best of the Republican candidates.

A very low bar indeed.

Of course, I appreciate Ron Paul being up there and making issues on those points you cited.

He is of course, as bad or worse than other GOP candidates on many other issues, and his "return to the gold standard" thing is just beyond ignorant and delusional.

by Dustinreply 2305/31/2012

Disturbing, but inevitable.

by Dustinreply 2405/31/2012

Nope, R20.

by Dustinreply 2505/31/2012

We truly live in a George Orwell society.

by Dustinreply 2605/31/2012

"Full-Body Scan Technology Deployed In Street-Roving Vans"

See Forbes link for full story. Quick summation: 2 years ago, the US government admitted it had backscatter x-ray VANS roving the streets. Just like at the airport, they can see through anything.

Far more effective if mounted onto 30,000 drones, IMO.

by Dustinreply 2705/31/2012

What are they good for? It's not like the police are going to start investigating burglaries and car break-ins because they have aerial drones.

I guess they'll be good for watching protesters, because they're the real crime threat (*rolls eyes*).

Incidentally, a Seattle protester was arrested and charged with “grabbing a police officer’s hand and twisting his arm,” on May 1st, but the charges have been dropped because video proves he didn't do it. The ONLY thing that saved this guy was the video evidence - had it not been taken it would have been the word of the police against one protester. The result, of course, would have been conviction and a criminal record. The police are lying scumbags.

by Dustinreply 2805/31/2012

I'll only accept this if they can create drones that look like the black Imperial probe droids with floating legs like in The Empire Strikes Back.

That would be cool. Otherwise it's creepy and invasive.

by Dustinreply 2905/31/2012

It's so sad, it's ALL about money.

The drone developers don't give a fuck about privacy OR if drones actually help law enforcement or not. They just want to sell a lot of drones and related technology, services, software.

by Dustinreply 3005/31/2012

It's about money AND the ability to conduct military operations without having to declare war and put US troops on the ground.

by Dustinreply 3105/31/2012

[quote]I'm not a Republican or a Ron Paul supporter

Liar.

by Dustinreply 3205/31/2012

It's amazing how prophetic Oliver Stone & Colonel Fletcher Prouty were when they put this scene together about the rise of the military-industrial complex, and it's sinister implications.

Donald Sutherland & Kevin Costner in the best scene in the history of film:

by Dustinreply 3305/31/2012

Occupy is really freaking the government out!

by Dustinreply 3405/31/2012

What I fear are the mini-drones and nano-drones. Little tiny robots that could literally be like flies on the wall invading the most personal of spaces.

by Dustinreply 3506/01/2012

R35, unless we stop this NOW (and like it or not, Ron Paul is the ONLY one who would even try) then every movement, every transaction, every conversation you have ANYWHERE will become a part of "your permanent record" as they used to say in school.

The wars- overseas, on drugs, on terror- are just a war on liberty. They want to control every action. They bailout the banks and big biz, and shit on the little guy. They pay generous lifetime pensions and benefits to anyone who can breathe (as long as they follow the rules) while the rest of us get nothing. They make every interaction with a government employee a frustrating and infuriating experience with their absolute control of one small aspect (building permits, drivers licenses, passports, etc.) and act smug when their incompetent behavior makes you angry. The laws are written to make big companies virtually immune from prosecution, but they can bankrupt you.

Does this sound like a healthy society?

by Dustinreply 3606/02/2012

All good points, R36. The problem is that too many people are caught up in the whole “bi-partison conflict” scenario to notice that BOTH parties have been bought out by the same “special interests” who are reaping huge profits by ripping off the working population of the US. Too many are concerned with more highly publicized issues that are ultimately of less importance when compared to the issues that continue to be swept under the rug by the corporate owned and run news media.

Yes, Obama might have deigned to finally say he’s come around to being for gay marriage at this point. But why now after all this time? Plus if you examine the rest of his record, it’s clear he doesn’t seem to care much about the individual rights and financial well-being of [italic]any[/italic] of the citizens of the United States outside of the select few who’ve basically bought Washington DC, and now call all the shots to their own advantage.

But as shitty as Obama is, what other viable alternative [italic]are we GIVEN?[/italic] Mitt Romney??!! This is democracy??!! BULLSHIT!

by Dustinreply 3706/03/2012

The military-industrial complex will never let Ron Paul near the levers of power.

by Dustinreply 3906/04/2012

Face it, this coming election, the only choice you're going to have is "Which candidate would you like to have as the next NeoCon spokesmodel?"

Republicans & Democrats = Smoke & Mirrors

by Dustinreply 4006/04/2012

Bumping so that when the first US citizens are killed by these drones (or covert spying lands them in jail) then people can read this thread and see how stupid the defenders of this policy are. Even the majority of Germans in the early 1940s thought they were free ---- well, until they got shipped to the gas chambers for speaking out against the government.

by Dustinreply 4106/20/2012

Who the hell is Alexander Higgins and why am I getting a feeling he's a paranoid conspiracy nut?

It bothers me a little but, quite frankly, if they want to peek in my windows and watch me sitting around in my underwear, watching tv and drinking wine they are going to be mighty bored.

by Dustinreply 4206/21/2012

You'd be amazed with the things that DARPA has made, and things that are in the final testing stages. These things make the drone that's the size of a golfball look absolutely huge by comparison.

by Dustinreply 4306/21/2012

The post about DARPA is 100% correct. They have come up with some scary shit.

If you ever feel like reading some stuff that will keep you up all night just start looking into what they admit to doing.

Drones the size of a moth capable of spraying neurotoxins that will kill up to 25 people in the room and then just sitting waiting for someone to unlock the door and fly back out.

by Dustinreply 4406/21/2012

Yes, R44, but they will only kill terrorists. And republicans.

by Dustinreply 4506/22/2012

well if you put it that way,R45, it might not be such a bad thing

by Dustinreply 4606/22/2012

Don't be daft, R46. Of course it will be expanded to include any sex offender, then anyone suspected of cheating on their taxes or dealing drugs, then anyone who lives in the country. If you dissent, you will be labeled a terrorist and eliminated.

by Dustinreply 4706/22/2012

Not at all. I don't do anything that I would have to be concerned about as far as the illegality of it. I have nothing to worry about.

I guess you want the terrorists to win, right?

by Dustinreply 4906/22/2012

R20, Obama signed it. He had to take responsibility for it.

by Dustinreply 5006/22/2012

I find it a way for the military contractors to keep sucking at the public teat in between unnecessary wars, is what I find it.

by Dustinreply 5106/22/2012

Robocop has come true.

Does OCP own all the police forces yet?

by Dustinreply 5206/23/2012

R49, have you ever disagreed with a government policy, or broken a law, or disagreed with an officer?

If so, then your position is bullshit, and you are too ignorant to breathe. Once government has the power to use misquitoe sized drones to spy on everyone (or can use your computer, your TV, your phone, etc.) then every "crime" becomes potentially fatal.

by Dustinreply 5306/24/2012

When the Republicans control these drones you will regret not calling for the impeachment of Obama for treason.

by Dustinreply 5408/21/2012

Word

by Dustinreply 5508/22/2012

The scariest thing to me is the privatization of prisons. Turning over almost-free labor to private industry... Need more slave workers? Just throw in some crooked judges and trumped up (or even completely false) charges and hey, here you go, more folks for your labor pool! It is terrifying. We need to STOP the privatization of prisons!

by Dustinreply 5708/22/2012

I feel sorry for the poor government worker paid to watch the footage the drones send back.

"Debbie's having cheesecake, third time this week. Oh, and she bought Eat Pray Love. Her friend Sandra called round with leftover casserole. If her wackjob boyfriend doesn't kill someone soon I'm going to shoot myself."

by Dustinreply 5808/22/2012

The point is , why are all these peOple flaming obama for using drones - flaming the VA Republican who wants to use it in the US?

[quote]Virginia [bold]Gov. Bob McDonnell, [/bold] a retired U.S. Army lieutenant colonel, says he is open to any technology that makes law enforcement more productive.

I have yet to see any of you Bitches claiming that Obama is behind this call out that actually man who wants to bring drones into the states to spy on his own constituents. WHY ARE YOU CALLING HIM OUT BY NAME OVER AND OVER AGAIN?

[bold]Gov. Bob McDonnell, [/bold]

[bold]Gov. Bob McDonnell, [/bold]

[bold]Gov. Bob McDonnell, [/bold]...

Also known as Governor ULTRASOUND- not only does he want to be in the air spying on you- he wants to be in woman's wombs - despite a doctor's orders.

by Dustinreply 5908/22/2012

Obama's vociferous and incessant calls for the program to be halted make him a hero.

Wait. Hasn't Obama actually supported this?

Bob:President Obama and Congress recently signaled their willingness to allow wider use of drones — the pilotless aircraft used in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia against Islamic terrorists — for domestic purposes. This is Big Brother at its worst. The ACLU and privacy groups have demanded that the Federal Aviation Administration address the "unique threat" posed by drones, as well they should.

Cal: Hold onto your ACLU card, Bob. I'm with you and civil liberties organizations that are deeply worried about government seizing this kind of intrusive and invasive power for itself.

Bob: Now there's a first, Cal agreeing with the American Civil Liberties Union.

Cal: Not really. I've sided with them on various issues, including the freedom of expression and even some religious matters. But back to the drones. While these planes have performed well in killing terrorists overseas, they are the last thing we need flying over America. The technology is so good that they can operate undetected and low enough to identify people attending your backyard barbecue.

Bob: I'm surprised how little we've heard from Congress, besides a letter of concern to the FAA from Reps. Ed Markey, D-Mass., and Joe Barton, R-Texas. Cal: Maybe that's because there's a congressional "drone caucus," which has 58 members. Many of them have received generous campaign contributions from defense contractors, including General Dynamics, Honeywell, Lockheed Martin (a major manufacturer of drones and missiles that can be attached to them) and Raytheon.

Bob: Once again, money wins out over an important principle: the right to privacy. The news media tend to report actions by drones when they bomb terrorists, but the planes have several other significant capabilities. They can also see and capture pictures in the smallest detail from thousands of feet in the sky. They can detect cellphone conversations and other means of communications.

by Dustinreply 6008/22/2012

When people like R60 realize that their beloved demorats are just as bad as the rethuglicans they shut up.

by Dustinreply 6108/22/2012

Lancaster to launch aerial radar surveillance over neighborhoods

August 24, 2012 | 8:59 am

The city of Lancaster plans to launch a new aerial surveillance system to monitor neighborhoods for crime.

The technology, called the Law Enforcement Aerial Platform System, will be attached to a piloted single-engine Cessna.

It's basically a radar system that will give deputies a bird's-eye view of what's happening on the ground.

The tool is similar to drones that are used by the military to survey war zones, with the difference that those are remote-controlled rather than attached to a plane.

Authorities say the technology will prove invaluable for the city because it's so large and spread out, and deputies can't be everywhere at once.

It could also help during natural disasters like fires or earthquakes by providing an aerial view of the situation.

Opponents have expressed concerns about government snooping, but city leaders insist that the surveillance will only be used to fight crime.

The Sheriff's Department plans to deploy LEAPS for 10 hours a day, at a coast of about $300 an hour. That adds up to about $90,000 per month and more than $1 million per year -- a hefty price tag in the cash-strapped city.

But city officials say that it's worth the investment to combat a recent spike in crime.

by Dustinreply 6208/24/2012

But government is good! It protects our rights!

by Dustinreply 6309/02/2012

Aerial drones are the new Police Helicopters.

by Dustinreply 6409/02/2012

What crimes are you all committing that makes you so paranoid?

by Dustinreply 6609/03/2012

Obama is of course partly to blame for this. But you are a fool if you think that the power behind the throne aren't pulling the strings here. The POTUS only has so much power. The puppet masters use the White House for their own gains. Republican or Democrat, they don't care. They always win.

by Dustinreply 6709/03/2012

That outfit is very becoming on you, R66.

by Dustinreply 6809/03/2012

If a democrat is doing the spying it's okay.

by Dustinreply 6909/26/2012

Since libertarians are the only ones who oppose this shit, I guess they are crazy.

by Dustinreply 7009/28/2012

What are you doing that you are ashamed of?

As the founder of Google said: "If you're afraid of getting caught doing something, than maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place."

by Dustinreply 7109/28/2012

If you don't want people to watch you taking a dump, just don't do it ever again.

by Dustinreply 7209/28/2012

Americans are too busy watching reality TV to care....about the massive Wall Street theft too.

by Dustinreply 7309/28/2012

Libertarian troll?

by Dustinreply 7410/09/2012

The Federal Aviation Administration is working towards putting the finishing touches on rules and regulations for widespread domestic drone use, and the agency expects as many as 30,000 UAVs will be in America’s airspace by the decade’s end. As Russia Today notes, given that the department has already addressed the issue of acquiring drones to give the DHS a better eye of domestic doings, though, those law enforcement operations in question could very well transcend away from legitimate uses and quickly cause civil liberty concerns from coast-to-coast. All drones will be equipped with Electro-Optical/Infra-Red sensors, as well as the technology to sniff out certain chemicals from thousands of feet above our heads. Have no fear though, since the "Robotic Aircraft for Public Safety" program is for your own protection, we are sure Janet Napolitano would suggest.

by Dustinreply 7510/10/2012

When is Obama going to come out against this?

Oh, right, he's not. He is just like the rest.

by Dustinreply 7612/13/2012

I don't really care if they want to peek in my windows. If they want to see me sitting in my underwear, watching movies and drinking wine, well, that's their problem. I'm more concerned with a plane getting fucked by one of these things. I read that they don't have any kind of built in avoidance system.

by Dustinreply 7712/13/2012

R77

Imagine that in 4, or 8, or 16 years these drones have become common, and some Republican asshole decides to make gays a target. Do you want them watching you get down with your boyfriend?

Stop it now, or it will become more evil.

by Dustinreply 7812/14/2012

A street artist who hung satirical posters criticising police surveillance activities has been arrested after an NYPD investigation tracked him to his doorstep. With the help of a small crew, the artist now identified as Essam Attia had placed the fake Big Brother-style adverts in locations throughout Manhattan, using a fake Van Wagner maintenance van and uniforms to avoid detection.

In a video interview with Animal New York prior to his arrest, a voice-scrambled and silhouetted Attia explained that he placed the provocative ads to "create a conversation" about disturbing trends in police surveillance, alluding to recent efforts by the Department of Homeland Security to "facilitate and accelerate the adoption" of unmanned aerial drones by local police departments. The posters also followed recent expansions in NYPD surveillance powers which allow officers to monitor citizens by creating fake identities on social networking sites.

The NYPD's response seems to have proven Attia's point: months after forensics teams and a "counter-terrorism" unit was spotted on the scene, the NYPD last Wednesday successfully tracked down and arrested the 29-year-old art school vandal, who identified himself in the video as a former "geo-spatial analyst" serving US military operations in Iraq.

It's not the first time the NYPD has overreacted to unsanctioned public art. Earlier this year, the department arrested 50-year-old Takeshi Miyakawa after he illuminated the streets of Williamsburg, Brooklyn with harmless LED lanterns made from plastic "I Heart NY" shopping bags. The crackdown in Attia's case, however, seems to have more to do with the public embarrassment faced by the department as a result of the mock ads.

Attia now faces 56 counts of criminal possession of a forged instrument and grand larceny possession of stolen property for his spree last September, with an additional charge of weapons possession after officers allegedly found an unloaded .22 caliber revolver under his bed during the raid. As for the drones themselves, the NYPD has still not revealed any plans to use aerial robotic enforcers. But if the expanding list of FAA authorizations and documented use of drones by local police in Texas and Miami, Florida are any indication, it may be only a matter of time.

by Dustinreply 7912/14/2012

So, do you see that this guy was HUNTED by squads from the NYPD for months for exposing them, while murders and rapsits get one overworked cop.

Is that right, or just a symptom of a dying empire?

by Dustinreply 8012/14/2012

Bumping for the US government apologist that seems to pop up on all these threads.

by Dustinreply 8112/15/2012

WASHINGTON -- A 16-year-old American boy killed in an Obama administration drone strike "should have [had] a far more responsible father," Obama campaign senior adviser Robert Gibbs says in a new video released by the group We Are Change.

Abdulrahman al-Awlaki was the son of Anwar al-Awlaki, an al Qaeda propagandist killed by a U.S. drone a year ago. But the child was killed in a separate strike some two weeks after his father was killed. Gibbs wasn't entirely familiar with the situation, and didn't know that al-Awlaki's son was killed two weeks after his father was killed, a person familiar with his thinking at the time he was interviewed told HuffPost. We Are Change bills itself as a non-partisan media organization "working to expose corruption."

"I would suggest that you should have a far more responsible father if they are truly concerned about the well being of their children. I don't think becoming an al Qaeda jihadist terrorist is the best way to go about doing your business," Gibbs, the former White House press secretary, told the interviewer from We Are Change, when asked to justify "an American citizen that is being targeted without due process, without trial -- and, he's underage, he's a minor."

by Dustinreply 8212/15/2012

[quote]Bumping for the US government apologist that seems to pop up on all these threads.

LOL... Aw, and here I thought you didn't care. I'm so touched.

by Dustinreply 8312/16/2012

[quote]"I would suggest that you should have a far more responsible father if they are truly concerned about the well being of their children. I don't think becoming an al Qaeda jihadist terrorist is the best way to go about doing your business," Gibbs, the former White House press secretary

Sanctimonious pussy

by Dustinreply 8412/16/2012

R84, he's just like Bush, or Obama- pushing the party line that we are "protectin' our freedoms by god" while ignoring the deaths of innocents.

Look at how sad our country is over 20 dead kids in Sandy Hook. We should be more ashamed that our government has killed THOUUSANDS of kids in Iraq and Agghanistan over the last month.

by Dustinreply 8512/19/2012

One of the scarier aspects of drone attacks is that the easily obtainable technology would make it simple for a private individual to launch a DIY drone attack as demonstrated in this video.

by Dustinreply 8612/19/2012

R86-

Why is that scary?

It's just like the argument against "assault weapons". If the government can have them, then the people NEED them!

by Dustinreply 8712/19/2012

Yes, a bump for the webcuntress.

by Dustinreply 8812/23/2012

You think they got these guys using drones?

[italic]Police arrested a graduate of one of Manhattan's most elite prep schools and her Harvard-educated boyfriend yesterday after allegedly finding explosive powder and a sawed-off shotgun in their Greenwich Village apartment. According to court documents, Morgan Gliedman, 27, who attended the Dalton School, and Aaron Greene, 31, are charged with felony possession of an explosive with intent to use, and felony criminal possession of a weapon. The criminal complaint also claims that a "collection of pages" entitled "The Terrorist Encyclopedia" was found in the apartment.

We spoke with a neighbor who resides in the couple's walk-up apartment at 8 West 9th Street: "They're hippie types," he said. "She's always very friendly, very nice. She looks like she's eight months pregnant. He's kind of cold, not the type of person who encouraged politeness. He never said a word to me."

The neighbor, who requested that his name be withheld because the seven-unit building is "very small, and we all respect each other's anonymity," said that recently the couple had refused to let the building's management into their apartment to perform repairs. "The super had been trying to put a new counter-top in for them, but all of a sudden two weeks ago, they wouldn't let him in the apartment, so it's just sitting outside their door."

Residents were roused by the police at around 7:30 a.m. on Saturday and relocated while police executed a search warrant. Gliedman, who is pregnant, is also charged with four counts of felony grand larceny for credit card theft that police say occurred in February of this year, and a warrant squad was making the arrest when they noticed "a white powdery substance" in a plastic container in the living room.

Investigators say that substance is Hexamethylene Triperoxide Diamine (HMTD), which was one of the components in the explosives to be used by Ahmed Ressam, the "millennium bomber" who planned to bomb LAX on New Year's Eve in 1999. HMTD was also likely to be used in the foiled bombings of transatlantic flights in 2005. Sergeant Michael DiMarfio of the NYPD's bomb squad tested the powder, and the results yielded a positive for HMTD, according to the complaint.

The second Google search result of "HMTD" (after its Wikipedia page) is a link entitled "Megalomania's Method of Making HMTD." The website notes the chemical's "extreme sensitivity to heat, shock, and friction" and describes it as "a poor choice for the lesser skilled home chemist…HMTD does not store well, so deal with it immediately." This video purports to demonstrate the chemical's volatility:

And a search for "The Terrorist Encyclopedia" yields this TextFiles document, penned by "Metamorphosis," which reads like an abridged Anarchist Cookbook.

Greene was arraigned on Sunday afternoon, and is being held without bail until his next hearing on January 4. Gliedman had yet to be arraigned as of Sunday night. According to court records Gliedman was charged with marijuana possession in February, but had taken an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal [ACD], and her next scheduled court appearance for those charges is on January 10.

According to Gliedman's Facebook page, she attended The Dalton School, NYU's Gallatin School, and received an MFA in creative writing at the Art Institute of Chicago. The Post reports that Greene "attended Harvard as an undergraduate and did his graduate work at the university’s Kennedy School of Government" and has "five prior run-ins with the police, with the charges including, assault, and weapons possession."[/italic]

by Dustinreply 8912/31/2012

No, but that is immaterial.

by Dustinreply 9001/02/2013

As long as they are classified as EVIL by our government it doesn't matter.

Nazi's would be proud!

by Dustinreply 9101/12/2013

Dear heart, are you off your meds again? Spamming the site with your ancient threads gets them deleted, dear.

by Dustinreply 9201/12/2013

Credit expansion is the governments foremost tool in their struggle against the market economy. In their hands it is the magic wand designed to conjure away the scarcity of capital goods, to lower the rate of interest or to abolish it altogether, to finance lavish government spending, to expropriate the capitalists, to contrive everlasting booms, and to make everybody prosperous.

"There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved."

This first stage of the inflationary process may last for many years. While it lasts, the prices of many goods and services are not yet adjusted to the altered money relation. There are still people in the country who have not yet become aware of the fact that they are confronted with a price revolution which will finally result in a considerable rise of all prices, although the extent of this rise will not be the same in the various commodities and services. These people still believe that prices one day will drop. Waiting for this day, they restrict their purchases and concomitantly increase their cash holdings. As long as such ideas are still held by public opinion, it is not yet too late for the government to abandon its inflationary policy.

But then, finally, the masses wake up. They become suddenly aware of the fact that inflation is a deliberate policy and will go on endlessly. A breakdown occurs. The crack-up boom appears. Everybody is anxious to swap his money against 'real' goods, no matter whether he needs them or not, no matter how much money he has to pay for them. Within a very short time, within a few weeks or even days, the things which were used as money are no longer used as media of exchange. They become scrap paper. Nobody wants to give away anything against them.

It was this that happened with the Continental currency in America in 1781, with the French mandats territoriaux in 1796, and with the German mark in 1923. It will happen again whenever the same conditions appear. If a thing has to be used as a medium of exchange, public opinion must not believe that the quantity of this thing will increase beyond all bounds. Inflation is a policy that cannot last.

by Dustinreply 9301/12/2013

ROFL.... And posting that drivel here is particularly ridiculous since it has nothing to do with this thread.

You really were drunk last night, dear, weren't you?

by Dustinreply 9401/13/2013

T

by Dustinreply 9501/13/2013

R94-

You are just too ignorant to understand why the post @ R93 is relevant.

Bush1, then Clinton, then Bush2 and now Obama have given unlimited power to the office of the president. Just like Hitler.

by Dustinreply 9601/13/2013

I don't like to judge, but it does seem to me a great shame to use a flying machine when so many sturdy Irish girls can't find work.

by Dustinreply 9701/13/2013

Who can defend this shit?

Killing brown people thousands of miles away from here is okay, but allowing them to fly these death machines over our houses...OUTRAGEOUS!

by Dustinreply 9801/29/2013

As soon as you make an analogy to Hitler, Nazis, the Gestapo, or thugs wearing jack boots, you have lost your audience and the argument.

by Dustinreply 9901/29/2013

R99, if the Brownshirt and Jackboot fits, then you wear it.

National Socialism is the de facto policy of both the republicans and democrats in the US.

That is why they must be destroyed, and the powers of DC devolved back to the states. They are evil.

Please read some history, especially the book "They Thought They Were Free" by Milton Mayer.

by Dustinreply 10001/29/2013

But Then It Was Too Late "What no one seemed to notice," said a colleague of mine, a philologist, "was the ever widening gap, after 1933, between the government and the people. Just think how very wide this gap was to begin with, here in Germany. And it became always wider. You know, it doesn’t make people close to their government to be told that this is a people’s government, a true democracy, or to be enrolled in civilian defense, or even to vote. All this has little, really nothing, to do with knowing one is governing.

"What happened here was the gradual habituation of the people, little by little, to being governed by surprise; to receiving decisions deliberated in secret; to believing that the situation was so complicated that the government had to act on information which the people could not understand, or so dangerous that, even if the people could not understand it, it could not be released because of national security. And their sense of identification with Hitler, their trust in him, made it easier to widen this gap and reassured those who would otherwise have worried about it.

"This separation of government from people, this widening of the gap, took place so gradually and so insensibly, each step disguised (perhaps not even intentionally) as a temporary emergency measure or associated with true patriotic allegiance or with real social purposes. And all the crises and reforms (real reforms, too) so occupied the people that they did not see the slow motion underneath, of the whole process of government growing remoter and remoter.

"You will understand me when I say that my Middle High German was my life. It was all I cared about. I was a scholar, a specialist. Then, suddenly, I was plunged into all the new activity, as the university was drawn into the new situation; meetings, conferences, interviews, ceremonies, and, above all, papers to be filled out, reports, bibliographies, lists, questionnaires. And on top of that were the demands in the community, the things in which one had to, was ‘expected to’ participate that had not been there or had not been important before. It was all rigmarole, of course, but it consumed all one’s energies, coming on top of the work one really wanted to do. You can see how easy it was, then, not to think about fundamental things. One had no time."

"Those," I said, "are the words of my friend the baker. ‘One had no time to think. There was so much going on.’"

"Your friend the baker was right," said my colleague. "The dictatorship, and the whole process of its coming into being, was above all diverting. It provided an excuse not to think for people who did not want to think anyway. I do not speak of your ‘little men,’ your baker and so on; I speak of my colleagues and myself, learned men, mind you. Most of us did not want to think about fundamental things and never had. There was no need to. Nazism gave us some dreadful, fundamental things to think about—we were decent people—and kept us so busy with continuous changes and ‘crises’ and so fascinated, yes, fascinated, by the machinations of the ‘national enemies,’ without and within, that we had no time to think about these dreadful things that were growing, little by little, all around us. Unconsciously, I suppose, we were grateful. Who wants to think?

"To live in this process is absolutely not to be able to notice it—please try to believe me—unless one has a much greater degree of political awareness, acuity, than most of us had ever had occasion to develop. Each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained or, on occasion, ‘regretted,’ that, unless one were detached from the whole process from the beginning, unless one understood what the whole thing was in principle, what all these ‘little measures’ that no ‘patriotic German’ could resent must some day lead to, one no more saw it developing from day to day than a farmer in his field sees the corn growing. One day it is over his head.

"How is this to be avoided, among ordinary men, even highly educated ordinary men? Frankly, I do not know. I do not see, even now. Many, many times since it all happened I have pondered that pair of great maxims, Principiis obsta and Finem respice—‘Resist the beginnings’ and ‘Consider the end.’ But one must foresee the end in order to resist, or even see, the beginnings. One must foresee the end clearly and certainly and how is this to be done, by ordinary men or even by extraordinary men? Things might have. And everyone counts on that might.

by Dustinreply 10101/29/2013

Milton Meyer, "They Though They Were Free", an examination of Germans prior to WW2

by Dustinreply 10201/29/2013

Given our recent discussion (here and here) of the rising importance of Africa in the world's power and money echelons, it is not entirely surprising that the NY Times reports that US military command in Africa is actively preparing to establish a drone base in northwest Africa to increase "unarmed surveillance missions on the local affiliate of Al Qaeda and other Islamist extremist groups" that American and other Western officials say pose a growing menace to the region. It would appear Niger will be the most likely place for the base - from which officials envision flying only unarmed surveillance drones though, of course, they have not ruled out conducting missile strikes at some point if the threat worsens. “This is directly related to the Mali mission, but it could also give Africom a more enduring presence for I.S.R.,” one American military official said Sunday, referring to intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance. Perhaps, actually scratch the "perhaps", what is really happening is the US now has a drone base with which to supervise Chinese expansion in Northweast Africa, anda drone fleet to use defensively and offensively as it sees fit.

by Dustinreply 10301/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.