Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Priscilla or To Wong Foo?

Since some batshit crazy OP is bombing the site with all of these "A or B" topics, I figured I'll play.

WHAT SAY YOU??!!!????!!!! Which do you prefer?

(And didn't this same OP drunkenly post about 100 of these in the middle of the night a few months back? All asking, "discuss?")

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 5106/16/2013

Priscilla for me. If only for "a cock, on a rock, in a frock."

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 105/29/2012

Priscilla, it came out first

But I would love to see a mashup of these two one day

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 205/29/2012

Priscilla is by far the superior film.

To Wong Foo, while enjoyable in its own way, is just silly and stupid.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 305/29/2012

Priscilla all theway - best cast, best story, best costumes.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 405/29/2012

Wong Foo seemed phony to me -- they were in drag all the time, never out of costume?

Priscilla was nuanced and seemed like it was about actual people.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 505/29/2012

R5, you hit one the nail. Priscilla knew who they were whereas Wong Foo just thought they knew who they were and thus lived in a different reality...

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 605/29/2012

To Wong Foo's depiction of a small town always irritated me. They made it seem like some 1930s dustbowl full of half-wits who were totally unaware of the world outside.

And yeah, the fact that they were never out of drag was weird. In fact they got "drag" totally wrong. The actors played it like they were women, not drag queens. There was no camp or irony or anything gay about it.

Priscilla, on the other hand, was ironic, smart, funny, campy, and gay as all get out.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 705/29/2012

How can you even ask? Priscilla!!

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 805/29/2012

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 905/29/2012

Priscilla, by far, for the reasons already listed.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 1005/29/2012

r6 writes like mlop.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 1105/29/2012

"you might as well put some dynamite in your box, 'cause that's the only bang you're ever gonna get!"

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 1205/29/2012

Priscilla Q of the D was the movie I first saw Guy Pierce and I fell in love. The man was exquisite in the portrayal of vicious damaged queen. He had peculiar teeth, but over all he was beautiful.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 1305/29/2012

Both of those movies are very very old.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 1405/29/2012

R14 = complaining about the "eldergay" troll.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 1505/29/2012

"To Wong Fu" is more fun to me.

But I truly love both of them.

I prefer "To Wong Fu" for the message it sends: that every wretched little homophobic town on earth could be VASTLY improved if a group of drag queens took them over. That is what Steven Spielberg said he hoped to show with "To Wong Fu." "Priscilla" is fun, too, but it has less edge since there's no real political message to it.

However, the scene with the Aborigines in "Priscilla" was classic.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 1605/29/2012

PQotD is only about 18 years old. I have slightly used condoms older than that.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 1705/29/2012

I have underwear older than that.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 1805/29/2012

I'd give any of the "girls" in either of these movies a ride in my van.

Although I think the prettiest is Guy Pearce. XOXOXOXOX!

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 1905/29/2012

Priscilla, though I love the name "Noxeema Jackson" (the drag queen Wesley Snipes played).

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 2005/29/2012

Priscilla is a better movie, but Leguizamo as Chi Chi Rodriguez is hilarious.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 2105/29/2012

Priscilla is brilliant, weird, and infused with wit and wisdom. Wong Foo is derivative and, while Snipes and Leguizamo have their moments, the thing feels like the commercial, homogenized, phony, faux-gay thing it is.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 2205/29/2012

Wong Foo is made for mainstream American audience. It's simple. Fun and full of zingers. Like r22, it is commercial.

Priscilla is made for indie audience with a discerning taste for transforming a niche subculture into something that can be relateble and entertaining for outsiders.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 2305/29/2012

I love TWF.... I am a big fan of Swayze and Leguizamo.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 2405/29/2012

They were both entertaining, but Priscilla was definitely better. Agree with the poster above who noted they were never out of drag in To Wong Foo. That would have technically made them transexuals, no?

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 2505/29/2012

[quote]Priscilla is made for indie audience with a discerning taste for transforming a niche subculture into something that can be relateble and entertaining for outsiders.

That's the American perception of it. In Australia it was just another enjoyable comedy film. It wasn't perceived as edgy or gay there.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 2605/29/2012

[quote]That would have technically made them transexuals

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 2705/29/2012

I thought the depiction of a typical American small town in To Wong Foo, was right on the money.

Priscilla is a considerably better film, with real emotion and adventure.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 2805/29/2012

Priscilla by 100 kilometers

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 2905/29/2012

Loretta? You better check yourself before you wreck yourself.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 3005/30/2012

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 3106/15/2013

The Wire or The Tammy Grimes Show?

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 3206/15/2013

Muriel, you're terrible!

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 3306/16/2013

Whatsamatta, OP? Ain't you know how to makes a poll?

(P.S. Priscilla.)

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 3406/16/2013

And OP couldn't provide a poll??

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 3506/16/2013

See, I can see that PRISCILLA is the better-written film and what-have-you, but I enjoyed TO WONG FOO more. I could watch it over and over, especially if I catch it on TV I stop and finish it. It's great escapism. But PRISCILLA was boring in parts and one viewing was enough. I mean, I appreciated it, but I didn't really enjoy it.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 3606/16/2013

I'm more fond of To Wong Foo.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 3706/16/2013

"Wong Foo is made for mainstream American audience. It's simple."

Let me put it this way, Mitzi Del Bra sold cosmetics to put ON your skin. But I sold you a big 'ol dish of Noxema to get all UNDER your skin.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 3806/16/2013

Priscilla was the better of the two, but I still r emember Patrick Swayze stepping out of that shower in the beginning of To Wong Foo!

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 3906/16/2013

I think they were neck and neck, Adam's apples to Adam's apples.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 4006/16/2013

I'm partly annoyed by Priscilla, I was a fan of it when I was younger & wilder but now I just leave it to the hipsters.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 4106/16/2013

"I'm partly annoyed by Priscilla, I was a fan of it when I was younger & wilder but now I just leave it to the hipsters"

Given the age of Priscilla's original fans, by 'hipsters' I assume you mean hip dysplasia.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 4206/16/2013

Priscilla- better writing, wit and very strong performances.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 4306/16/2013

To Wong Foo- I can watch it countless times before getting bored, although I do admit some scenes were a bit silly. Just loved Noxeema Jackson!

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 4406/16/2013

Priscilla is the better movie in every way, script, acting, photography, whatever, but To Wong Foo is also fun to watch.

They both have their place, for some people who prefer a straight-up sitcom Priscilla might be a bit too involved, for others Wong Foo might be too simplistic.

I really like Just Like A Woman though - that's from a couple of years before Priscilla and has Julie Walters with Adrian Pasdar as her trannie bf. It's funny and nuanced and a little dark in places.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 4506/16/2013

I can't think of any drag queen movies since those two.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 4606/16/2013

R46, thank your lucky stars you didn't have to sit through Connie and Carla. That Greek wedding woman should be shot and never allowed anywhere near a movie ever again.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 4706/16/2013

That was my thought exactly r47. I could only take 10 minutes of Connie and Carla. Even Toni Collette couldn't make it watchable.

I liked Priscilla though I never felt like watching it in its entirety a second time. To Wong Foo was just a blatant example of Hollywood jumping on the drag queen bandwagon without knowing why. Not surprised to learn that Spielberg was behind it. The man has a history of stealing other people's ideas (In Memorium, an indie horror movie that got raves at every festival it was shown, was blocked from distribution so that Spielberg could do Paranormal Activity which was a blatant rip-off.)

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 4806/16/2013

CONNIE AND CARLA was a rip-off of SOME LIKE IT HOT, but with two women (pretending to be drag queens) hiding out from the mob.

There was also the mid-1990s movie STONEWALL, which focused mainly on transgendered people in late 1960s NYC. Twentysomething Frederick Weller was such a cutiepie as the newly-arrived midwest farmboy.

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 4906/16/2013

Priscilla, hands down....

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 5006/16/2013

Let me get this straight (no pun intended)?

'To Wong' was supposed to be a comedy?

by Trolly McTrollersonreply 5106/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!