Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Stained toilet...

We bought a house and the toilets are stained. It seriously looks like an algae ring and and fresh skidmarks. I guess it could be rust. I've tried a few products but the only thing that's faded them even a little is letting Liquid Plumber sit in the bowl for awhile. Any other suggestions? If I'd known these stains would be permanent, I wouldn't have gotten this house.

by Anonymousreply 6002/12/2013

Try CLR (calcium, lime, and rust remover)

by Anonymousreply 105/28/2012

Your house will not fall down if you replace the existing toilet.

by Anonymousreply 205/28/2012

Cheap and easy -- soak thick paper towels with white vinegar, then plaster them against the side of the bowl until all the stains are covered. Occasionally re-wet the paper towels (with a squirt bottle -- no need to remove the paper towels.)

Leave on several hours or overnight. A stiff brush should remove the rust residue, calcium deposits, etc.

by Anonymousreply 305/28/2012

Good grief OP - Toilets are like $79 or even less at Best Buy. Just buy one and replace it (and STFU) already.

by Anonymousreply 405/28/2012

OP you should really let the angry lesbians at r2 and r4 replace the toilets. They will have it done before tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 505/28/2012

I have replaced the toilets in every house I've ever bought. It grosses me out to think of someone NOT doing that. EWWWWWWW.

by Anonymousreply 605/28/2012

And don't bother with any of those magic eraser products.

by Anonymousreply 705/28/2012

What a fragile little hothouse orchid r6 is.

by Anonymousreply 805/28/2012

We changed the seats. I guess I'll try the vinegar thing and failing that the CLR altho I used a knockoff type product and it didn't do much.

Why replace 3 perfectly working toilets? Americans are such pigs about throwing stuff away that still works. I run my stuff into the ground and then I recycle it.

by Anonymousreply 905/28/2012

How old is the toilet? My first thought was CLR, but if it's a relatively new toilet I'd just replace it. If it's an old toilet, I'd say keep it because it's better constructed with better material. I've had two new toilets die out on me (broken assembly on the whole flushing mechanism in one and a leak in the other), but my parents have 50 year old toilets in their home that are seemingly indestructible. Same with the ones in the old rentals I've had.

by Anonymousreply 1005/28/2012

[quote]If I'd known these stains would be permanent, I wouldn't have gotten this house.

And that isn't more extreme than simply replacing the toilet bowls? Whatevs.

by Anonymousreply 1105/28/2012

HAHA! I'm gonna call OP SHITSTAIN!

What a shit stained HOTHOUSE Flower you are!

"There are DOODY stains in my TURLET!"

Why don't you serve some bread with FARM FRESH butter while you are at it!

What a stunad!

by Anonymousreply 1205/28/2012

A pumice stone works great. Use gloves if you are all squeamish. Pumie is a brand at most grocery stores. They are good for many things and they will not scratch porcelain. I have gotten out years of rust stains.

by Anonymousreply 1305/28/2012

Try LimeAway

by Anonymousreply 1405/28/2012

OP, forget about every thing you've read so far on this thread. Here's what you do. Go to the hardware store or any of the big home center stores (Home Depot/Lowes, etc). Buy a gallon jug of Hydrochloric acid, aka Muriatic acid. It's the active ingredient in these tile whitening sprays, but they only contain a very small amount of it.

Pour 2 cups of the acid into the toilet bowl and close the tank quickly as you'll notice something that looks like smoke rising from the bowl. Don't worry, it's not going to catch fire. It's just the acid interacting with the water. Let it sit for an hour or so. you can use a toilet brush every once in a while if needed to get the solution high up on the sides of the bowl. After an hour, use the scrub brush all over the bowl and the flush. You toilet bowl will look brand new.

by Anonymousreply 1505/28/2012

We had apartment buildings and tenants left toilets in this condition at times. Go to Home Depot or a good hardware store and buy a gallon of muriatic acid. Pour a quart or more into the toilet (carefully) and stir with a toilet brush and let sit for an hour. Takes off stains and won't damage toilet.

by Anonymousreply 1605/28/2012

That's pretty harsh stuff r15 -- and it is not necessary as OP does not need to pass an admiral's inspection in an hour.

Nice gentle vinegar, given over night, maybe a little help from a pumice bar, is all OP needs.

by Anonymousreply 1705/28/2012

[quote] Buy a gallon jug of Hydrochloric acid

Isn't that what's in stomach acid? Just invite some fratboys over, give them lots of booze, fuck them, and let them throw up later.

by Anonymousreply 1805/28/2012

You will inadvertently destroy some of your plumbing if you do not settle on just the one remedy. What R15 offered up is your best bet, but dilute the Muriatic acid with one part water, it would be 2:1 on that.

by Anonymousreply 1905/28/2012

Pay no attention to R17 OP. As you can see R16 agrees with me. We've both obviously been through this process enough times to know what the fuck we're doing.

by Anonymousreply 2005/28/2012

A brush won't do it. Use a fresh scrubber sponge (that you will then throw away) scrubber side down, and use Softscrub for the toilet except the bowl, and Lysol toilet bowl cleaner for the bowl. If it looks like some of the paint is chipped there are epoxy repair kits that work fine.

by Anonymousreply 2205/28/2012

Get the Clorox angled squirt bottle. Squirt in your toilet and leave overnight. It says to leave on for only 10 minutes and flush but you should leave it on overnight. Then flush. The toilet will be sparkling new. No need to brush.

by Anonymousreply 2305/28/2012

R6 I completely agree. Apparently we have some seriously trashy folks here who want to rest their ass and taint on places others have been. I couldn't imagine.

by Anonymousreply 2405/28/2012

So R4, R6, Let me get this straight you never sit on a strange toilet seat? You guys define anal retention.

by Anonymousreply 2506/02/2012

What r13 said, a pumice stone.

by Anonymousreply 2606/02/2012

R13 has the magic answer. I have tried everything and a pumice stone does the trick. You'll find it down the cleanser aisle.

by Anonymousreply 2706/02/2012

One more vote for the pumice stone. It works, it's cheap, it's non-toxic and one stone will last a long time.

by Anonymousreply 2806/02/2012

Acid will eat the surface. Bleach or new toilets.

by Anonymousreply 2906/02/2012

r29 didn't read r13's memo.

by Anonymousreply 3006/02/2012

Jesus Christ. Get some CLR, a brush, or buy a new toilet. Actually, just buy a new fucking toilet, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 3106/02/2012

Lysol toilet gel in the BLACK bottle. Probably cheaper than all of the above options. I had tried a lot of other cleaners, but only this worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 3206/02/2012

Coca-cola. That shit will burn through the Earth's crust.

by Anonymousreply 3306/02/2012

Ew that's just perverted. Throw the damn thing out.

Why do you want to live in a house with a perverted toilet?

I hate that.

by Anonymousreply 3406/02/2012

by a fucking toilet. geez.

by Anonymousreply 3506/02/2012

I just did the Hydrochloric acid, aka Muriatic acid suggestion. It worked great!! I put two cups of it in the toilet, walked away, came back in an hour and scrubbed the bowl with the brush. I repeated the process because the toilet hadn't been cleaned for over a year (long story) and it looks like new! I'm telling you the calcium build up was huge and "thick", the colors were green to black! Some things to remember: * When you add the acid to the water you'll see vapor come up. It's the fumes from the acid, BEWARE don't breath them in. * Be careful not to spill the acid. * Rinse the brush off thoroughly I hope this helps someone and puts to rest the bashers saying just buy a new toilet or other unhelpful comments.

by Anonymousreply 3602/11/2013

I want to know how to use on my tile grout?

by Anonymousreply 3702/11/2013

I blame it all on Shitty Little Anne.

by Anonymousreply 3802/11/2013

[quote]Pay no attention to [R17] OP. As you can see [R16] agrees with me.

No, no! Don't listen to any of them! Listen to ME!

by Anonymousreply 3902/11/2013

How did the muriatic acid cost? I don't want to google it.

I've seen too much ID channel and avoid random searches for weird things in case my computer is ever seized by a goverment agency. I'm still freaking out over clicking the man/horse sex link yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 4002/11/2013

I vote, new toilet. Easy easy easy.

by Anonymousreply 4102/11/2013

Deck cleaner . Oxy something acid works when Ajax & scrubber fails

by Anonymousreply 4202/11/2013

Another in support of R13. Then use C.L.R.

by Anonymousreply 4302/11/2013

I second the CLR. Read the instructions and follow them precisely.

Let it soak. It will work.

by Anonymousreply 4402/11/2013

Why would anyone want to revive this thread?

by Anonymousreply 4502/11/2013

Dump. Whoops. I meant bump.

by Anonymousreply 4602/11/2013

Just replace the damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 4702/11/2013

Let coca cola soak in there for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 4802/11/2013

I don't know, r45. Probably because a lot of these threads have really useful hints along with some funny snark that doesn't devolve into viciousness like some of the other snarky threads do.

I was LMFAO at this one. Who knew bitches could be so snarkily cunty over a fucking toilet bowl?

by Anonymousreply 4902/11/2013

Spray paint the whole thing dark brown.

by Anonymousreply 5002/11/2013

I've cleaned stains off of toilets by adding a couple of jars of cheap, processed lemon juice to the water.

What you need to do is change the pH of the water, and any moderately strong acid will do.

by Anonymousreply 5102/11/2013

You're so cheap you can't buy new commodes for your shack?

by Anonymousreply 5202/12/2013

My bf has scratched all of our toilet bowls by over scrubbing. I repeatedly showed him that all he has to do is squirt some Clorox spray around the inside of the toilet, swish ONCE with a brush and close the lid. Leave for at least 20 minutes. Voila, clean toilet bowl. Flush.

by Anonymousreply 5302/12/2013

OP, you need a water filtration system. If you already have one, you need to call the company and have them replace the chemicals.

by Anonymousreply 5402/12/2013

"My bf has scratched all of our toilet bowls by over scrubbing."

Tina! Bring me the steel wool!

by Anonymousreply 5502/12/2013

I'm sure advice so far has been good, but here's my two cents.

There's a product called The Works. It's sold at Walmart and Dollar Tree. Other places too, I'm sure, it's cheap and amazing! It will make any caked on calcium, rust, whatever come off so easy.

I've recommended this to many friends and coworkers and they've been thrilled with the results.

It's one of my favorite products.

by Anonymousreply 5602/12/2013

I used the pumice stone. Worked great, no chemicals. 8 bucks. The toilets are amazing. My kid has flushed toys and stacks of kleenex down them and they've never clogged. These vintage toilets are superior and actually made of porcelain. No plastic.

by Anonymousreply 5702/12/2013

Any sane person who isn't cheap will go buy a fucking new toilet and o-ring.

by Anonymousreply 5802/12/2013

Another vote for pumice. I have never seen them for $8 though. Usually around $2 where I am.

by Anonymousreply 5902/12/2013

They have them at the 99 Cents Only stores.

by Anonymousreply 6002/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!