Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Texas: All Gay All the Time`

Everyone knows that Stephen Austin and Sam Houston were gay, but the oil millionaire were all pervs (or worse) too.

"The parties usually kicked off on Friday evenings when a dusty maroon Chrysler pulled up the long gravel drive, heralding Sid Richardson's arrival from West Texas. The gambling and drinking lasted late into the night, when the guests would wobble into the bunkhouse Murchison had erected just for his friends, a dozen beds arrayed in one large room, cowboy style.

"He (Murchison) adored the boys (his sons) and paid tuition for them to attend public schools in University Park; most days they arrived at school in a chauffeur driven Pierce Arrow. Weeknights they all piled into one bed together with their father. Murchison swore he wouldn't marry until they were grown."

from Burrough's "Big Rich"

"The master suite alone had eight full sized beds for Murchison, his two sons, and whatever pals were staying over - 'so we can stay up all night talkin' oil,' he explained to his decorator."

"It was a man's world, the days spent hunting and fishing, the nights playing cards. Richardson never married, and no one can remember a single woman who anyone considered his companion, leading to rumors about his sexual proclivities." Followed by the obligatory anonymous rumor of (female) prostitutes flown in.

by Anonymousreply 4406/21/2013

say what???

by Anonymousreply 105/22/2012

And the tradition continues....

Rick Perry (governor) is rumored to be gay. David Dewhurst (Lt. Gov. currently running for senator) married only a few years ago (he's 66 - married first time when he was 50 just before becoming lt. gov) is rumored to be gay. Dan Patrick - waiting in the wings to run for Lt. Gov if Dewhurst wins is currently denying the gay rumors about him (but the gayface on him is undeniable).

by Anonymousreply 205/22/2012

I need a map to follow this thread.

by Anonymousreply 305/22/2012

[quote]Everyone knows that Stephen Austin and Sam Houston were gay,

by Anonymousreply 405/22/2012

I thought it was just me, R3.

by Anonymousreply 505/22/2012

What aboout Phillip Glass Dallas, a.k.a. "Lip Gloss" Dallas? He married Marrietta Pradaqueen but everyone knew she was a beard.

by Anonymousreply 605/22/2012

Yeah tell yourself that R7. We know a fruit when we see one.

by Anonymousreply 805/22/2012

Sure R7, that's why he lived most of his life with a male roommate, a doctor, in a one room cabin.

by Anonymousreply 905/22/2012

Sounds like Murchison not only liked to diddle his boys, but when they got older, he liked to watch as well!

by Anonymousreply 1005/22/2012

"Austin never married but that doesn't mean he was gay"

In the 1830s that was like taking an ad in the newspaper.

by Anonymousreply 1105/22/2012

Sam Houston's wife left him on his wedding night because he couldn't perform. He was the sitting Governor of Tennesse and he took off for Indian territory.

by Anonymousreply 1205/22/2012

Just FYI, OP and R8-R12 are the same person.

by Anonymousreply 1305/22/2012

LINK, please, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1505/22/2012

Is there something about Texas that makes it "more gay" than the other states?

by Anonymousreply 1605/22/2012

I did make it clear. Although Burrough would never be so bold as to say they were all gay, it's clear they were.

by Anonymousreply 1805/22/2012

Steers and queers.

by Anonymousreply 1905/22/2012

Cowboys are secretly fond of each other.

by Anonymousreply 2005/22/2012

It makes sense. What kind of man would strike out for the frontier, which was almost entirely devoid of avaiable women? What kind of man would leave his obligatory wife and kiddies behind for years and years, living entirely in the company of other men?

Now that I think about it, WAS the American west entirely settled by homos?

by Anonymousreply 2105/22/2012

You know, not only the Greeks had their little butt buddies whenever they went to war or some exploring mission.

Of course these kind of things aren't as documented since you didn't exactly include that in 'modern day' folk tales back then.

by Anonymousreply 2205/22/2012

[quote]paid tuition for them to attend public schools in University Park

This part makes no sense whatsoever. University Park is in the Highland Park ISD (independent school district), and the whole point of moving there is so you *don't* have to pay tuition to send your kids to school. (And since this is America, not the UK, public school means public school.) Btw for Dallas's rich, the only two schooling options are Highland Park schools or prep school, as DISD is abominable to the point of farce.

Aside from that, it's an amusing tidbit. Not sure of its veracity, but I can buy it. R2 is dead on, too.

by Anonymousreply 2305/22/2012

Dewhurst hosts all-male pool parties out at his ranch. He used to workout at the predominately gay gym in downtown Austin and cruise young guys.

by Anonymousreply 2405/22/2012

Work out is two words when it's used that way.

Sorry, it's just one of my pet peeves.

He had a good workout though. And it's never hyphenated.

Back to Texas...

by Anonymousreply 2505/22/2012

The Spanish brought their wives along to ride the trails.

The Spanish did write about the gay Indians though.

by Anonymousreply 2605/22/2012

[quote]He used to workout at the predominately gay gym in downtown Austin and cruise young guys.

Haven't heard that one. I assume you mean Gold's at Sixth and Congress.

by Anonymousreply 2705/22/2012

Nothing would surprise or shock me when it comes to the Texas Rich. Cheating on your spouse is as much an everyday occurrence in the Park Cities as shopping at Northpark.

Their values are really fucked up, and that's why you'll find a church and a liquor store on every corner in Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 2805/22/2012

No, Pure Austin on 5th. It used to heavily gay several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3005/22/2012

He hasn't posted in forever.

by Anonymousreply 3105/22/2012

Most of this is old news. kirker called most of this years ago and typically, few paid attention.

One of these days, DL'ers will listen to my pretend boyfriend when he shares "the latest!"

I'm sorta from Texas, I grew up in College Station, Bryan and Big Spring. Virtually all of my West Texas friends who turned out to be gay were oil brats. I was just an ordinary military mo.

Texans are pretty neat people. Gay or straight, most are as big as their hearts. Their may be a few haters, but by and large, there are more good people in Texas as a percentage than just about any other state.

by Anonymousreply 3205/22/2012

I have liked most Texans I have met. Pretty much straight-foward and fun except for one horrible old woman who I think was kicked out of the state.

by Anonymousreply 3305/22/2012

Yeah -

by Anonymousreply 3405/22/2012

[quote]Their values are really fucked up, and that's why you'll find a church and a liquor store on every corner in Dallas.

You'd be surprised how many parts of Dallas, particularly the northern suburbs, are 100% dry. Most of the northern region of town only allows beer & wine sales, no hard stuff.

[quote]Pure Austin on 5th. It used to heavily gay several years ago.

They're both pretty gay, but Gold's is cruisier (and Pure Austin is much nicer).

by Anonymousreply 3505/22/2012

I prefer Texans 1000 x over nasty Arizonans (now those are some real cunts).

by Anonymousreply 3605/22/2012

by Anonymousreply 3705/22/2012

Kirker, he had to pay tuition because he lived on a 200 acre spread that was nowhere near the Park Cities.

Still, I think a grown multimillionaire who shares a bed with his teenage sons is what one might call an incest freak.

by Anonymousreply 3805/23/2012

When I was in Texas I fucked a few terribly tall, very married men. It was hot.

by Anonymousreply 3905/23/2012

Montrose rollerblade dancer -

by Anonymousreply 4006/20/2013

WEHT kirker (authenticated)?

by Anonymousreply 4106/21/2013

And let's not even mention William Marsh Rice and his valet.

by Anonymousreply 4206/21/2013

[quote]Everyone knows that Stephen Austin and Sam Houston were gay

I've never seen this mentioned outside this thread but I always wondered about Davy Crockett.

by Anonymousreply 4306/21/2013

Sid Richardson, perpetual bachelor who lived on an island where women were not allowed.

by Anonymousreply 4406/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!