Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Middle

What Hollywood Jews think the Midwest is like. Not even the accent is right. And where are all the blonde bitches? The Midwest is so much more complex than what the Hollywood Jews think we are.

by Anonymousreply 8610/23/2014

The actors are too skinny. Midwesterners are much fatter.

by Anonymousreply 105/17/2012

TV commercial actors. Who's the Simon Cowell lookalike?

by Anonymousreply 505/17/2012

The younger son has some sort of weird disease. (The actor, I mean, not the character.)

The fraus on imdb have discussed it, saying they could tell by his twisted back and intensely blue eyes.

What the hell kind of disease gives someone blue eyes?

by Anonymousreply 605/17/2012

I watched one episode and found it incredibly dull. Haven't watched since. Has it gotten better?

by Anonymousreply 705/17/2012

The best part of the show is the kids.

by Anonymousreply 805/17/2012

Brick has Osteogenesis Imperfecta.

by Anonymousreply 1105/17/2012

Haven't watched the show since Patty's tweets over that slut.

by Anonymousreply 1205/17/2012

It's a wretched show. Only if son Axl stuck three fingers up his hole and blew six loads every episode would it be worth watching.

The father is a decent sitcom actor, but looks embarrassed, and rightly so (and he appeared on Scrubs on for umpteen years, so probably knows a thing or two about embarrassment.)

The daughter is so painfully stupid and naive and loud that any other family would have left her in a roadside ditch.

The mother (Heaton) is written and played to such fever-pitch shrillness that the whole already ridiculous show is spoiled like sour milk. The character explodes with near rage on every fucking little picky ass thing.

It's another of those sitcoms where the economic status of the family is a mystery. Both parents work regularly, they live in a filthy shithole of a house (worth nothing) where nothing works or is remotely presentable, they drive shit cars, have no evident medical expenses, are not taking care of aged parents, have no hobbies or vices other than sloth, have no visible expenses except bags of snack chips, and yet they never have two thin dimes to rub together. Why? Paying off those expensive college loans? Saving for Harvard for the dimwit children? The actor/parents are in their 50s, the children have been around a while, the dishwasher is 40something years old, and yet having to cough up $5 for some school project represents an immense, almost insurmountable hardship.

I know it's a Hollywood depiction of how "middle Americans" are supposed to live, but with no expenses to speak of, who have both worked every day since high school have managed to save or accumulate fucking nothing, not so much as pocket lint, and every tiny expense is painfully extracted.

And personal politics aside, Patricia Heaton is a no-necked monster.

by Anonymousreply 1605/17/2012

What's with Hollywood and kid actors with odd diseases? (Starting with Gary Coleman) ABC Wednesday Night has a lock on them right now, with the little kid on The Middle and the older sister with the bum kidneys in Modern Family.

by Anonymousreply 1705/17/2012

Pretty awful. But Indiana deserves whatever abuse gets, and more.

by Anonymousreply 2005/17/2012

Who is in the middle?

by Anonymousreply 2505/17/2012

I heard so much praise for this show. It was ok, better than most crap on TV. But it's still predictable and formulaic and way too ironic. I hate the way most of TV seems to be an injoke, where the audience is supposed to laugh at the characters because you're really making fun of them. It's too facile.

Modern Family is horrible. Another one i was told i had to watch, I guess because of the gay characters. The gay couple is the worst, not believable, and too stepin-fetchit, even more so than Jack on Will and Grace. His character hasn't held up well, and neither will they.

by Anonymousreply 2705/17/2012

The exteriors really bug me because it is so obviously not the Midwest. I wanted to like it because of a vague personal connection to the creators, but it does nothing for me...and I hate Patty Heaton.

by Anonymousreply 3005/17/2012

Isn't this just like Malcolm in the Middle?

by Anonymousreply 3205/17/2012

I don't like Patricia Heaton but damn if she doesn't star in projects I love and sell the hell out of her characters. Last night on TV Land was the episode of Raymond where she has her manic monologue about the freak show across the street. Brilliantly delivered.

And if you think The Middle portrays Indiana as unbelievable- "Suburgatory" is set outside NYC and is far, far more unbelievable than The Middle's Midwest on its worst day.

by Anonymousreply 3305/17/2012

Suburgatory is Connecticut I think, maybe Westchester County, NY. Not that far off in its portrayal.

by Anonymousreply 3605/17/2012

The co-creator of The Middle grew up in Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 3705/17/2012

As [R30} points out, the exteriors in The Middle are definitely not Indiana. But that fault can be found in almost every television program, most of which have hard, bright southern California lightning no matter where they're supposed to be taking place. Suburgatory, a show I can't abide, is probably the worst offender at the moment. Last night, my partner and I were watching the new James Van Der Beek sitcom and he asked me, "Where is this show supposed to take place? San Diego?" The correct answer is: Brooklyn

by Anonymousreply 4005/17/2012

If "The Middle" wanted to do realistic comedy, they should include a motorized wheelchair traffic jam of morbidly obese patrons at a Wal-Mart.

by Anonymousreply 4105/17/2012

Last episode of House House and Wilson were supposed to be driving from New Jersey to Ohio but the scenery was Western. Why even bother to film on location if the location is wrong?

by Anonymousreply 4305/17/2012

It's a tv show? 'Nuff said

by Anonymousreply 4705/17/2012

I don't find Axl attractive at all, even in boxers. Give me the dad any day. Neil Flynn is HOT! Or Axl's friend Sean (the hunky one in the letter jacket.)

by Anonymousreply 4905/17/2012

[quote]It's called reality - that's why the family with 3 children, a morgage and taxes, the mom working a commission job that is possibly part-time and a dad working in a dying industry with frequent work stoppages have trouble coming up with $5.00 school expenses - which probably crop up without advance notice from the kids a couple times a week.

It's not called reality.

It's called "Roseanne."

by Anonymousreply 5005/17/2012

R49, I agree. Neil Flynn is sexy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 5805/17/2012

A close friend of mine dated Neil for a couple years, R49 and R58. Other friends who met him said he was a great guy. (And my friend is female, so guys, back down!)

by Anonymousreply 6005/18/2012

r60=insufferable, irritating frau

by Anonymousreply 6105/18/2012

Sorry, R60, If Neil glances at me sideways I'm going to climb him like Mt. Kilimanjaro.

by Anonymousreply 6305/18/2012

Mindy Cohn was on last night's Disney World-set season finale.

by Anonymousreply 8005/22/2014

I have worked in public schools grades K--12 and I am here to tell you the portrayals by ALL kids on this show is spot on. The writers REALLY know kids. I loved the ep where Mike had to coach the vapid girls who were texting each other standing next to each other.

This show is superior to both Malcolm and Roseanne. It is realistic, while they both were cartoonish and in Malcom's case, also surreal. Neither one had exceptional acting. I got tired of Roseanne's sister's patented tv sitcom sidekick schtick. I DID like Reese and Mom's heavy set drug store friend on Malcolm.

It's a struggling middle class family, very realistic, except maybe to arrogant NYC queens who only worry about what trendy restaurant they will go to.

The kids are the real stars, and from rare TV interviews, are all really nice people too.

Dad and Axl are both hot (did you catch the one where Brick couldn't sleep b/c Axl's bed was squeaking.) Sue is priceless, her refusal to give up and her niceness, Brad, Darren and Axl's other friend are also cute, enjoyable comedians.

A realistic slice of life. And why don't you think this looks like the Midwest? I do.

by Anonymousreply 8105/23/2014

Mike and Axl are the only ones on that show I can stand. Frankie is the textbook definition of "cuntfrau," completely clueless to the misery she inflicts on anyone around her. Sue is clueless on another level. In real life, a girl like her ends up either nude and dead in a culvert or being held in a basement as a sex slave. Brick has gone from quirky but endearing oddball to annoying little Aspie freak who needs to be in a circus sideshow. Seriously, Mike and Axl should just bolt and live out west somewhere as ranchers.

At least on MitM, the boys were remarkably talented: Francis turned out to be a fine leader; Reese was a culinary prodigy; Malcolm, of course, had the brain the size of a planet; and Dewey turned out to be a musical prodigy. Once they got away from Lois, they flourished.

by Anonymousreply 8205/24/2014

I don't see the need for anti-Semitic comments. Sue's character is remarkable and she is a great actor. Axl is so hot, I miss him being in underwear in the later seasons. The actor, Charlie, is just as cool as Axl.

Love the show, used to live in Indiana. Know some of the places they talk about, like Brown County.

by Anonymousreply 8310/23/2014

Someone mentioned they have no old relatives to take care of. What about the great ants? They are old and senile. One even died, in real life and on the show.

by Anonymousreply 8410/23/2014

Condoms, Sue, condoms, condoms!

by Anonymousreply 8510/23/2014

OP, are you the Middle Troll?

by Anonymousreply 8610/23/2014
Need more help? Click Here.