Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Happy Birthday Janet Jackson!

Happy birthday Janet- Miss Jackson if you're nasty….

(Janbot is having a fabulous day today. A bottle of wine and "Twentyfourplay" on loop.)

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 4409/21/2014

Pop music, bitches!

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 105/16/2012

She looks great for 46!

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 205/16/2012

DAMN YOU FOR STARTING THIS THREAD BEFORE I COULD, OP!

But yes, Happy Birthday to the baddest bitch EVAH!

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 305/16/2012

Around the world...

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 405/16/2012

Happy Birthday Ms Jackson!

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 505/16/2012

Ms. Disingenuous, if you're nasty.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 605/16/2012

Haterade tastes bitter, R6.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 705/16/2012

Great. You woke it. Now we'll get 400 consecutive posts about how she changed world history.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 805/16/2012

Starting with yours, R8

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 905/16/2012

R8 I'm just hoping the Janet troll aka Janbot shows up. She's a hoot and a half.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 1005/16/2012

LOL I'm the "Janbot" in question, R10. And thanks for your compliment.

BTW, I'm a guy.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 1105/16/2012

Janet and boyfriend Wissam Al Mana jetted out to Paris for a romantic birthday celebration! Jackson–who turned 46 today–posted the photo to her Facebook page with the caption “Spending my bday w/my baby!”

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 1205/16/2012

R10 isn't laughing with you, Janbot. He's laughing at you.

And we're not laughing.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 1305/16/2012

I'm sorry R13, did you say something? Oh, didn't think so.

Janet, Alec Baldwin and Kylie Minogue will be co-chairing the amfAR benefit gala in Cannes on the 24th. It will be Janet's second time co-chairing the benefit.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 1405/16/2012

Glad Janet has a man she is happy with.

(Im hoping that she steps in J.Lo's vacant spot on American Idol)

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 1505/16/2012

she has no musical talent whatsoever and could've spared us all her crappy vocals and lived off the Jackson family but nooooo, she had to become a "singer"...not a fan.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 1605/16/2012

Agreed, r16.

Needless to say, none of her hits have become classics. They're all forgotten these days.

The sole exception being 'Nasty' - not because it's a good song (it's not), but because of the attitude.

The song is hardly as classic as 'Billie Jean', 'Like a Virgin' or 'Purple Rain'.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 1705/16/2012

But who asked you, R16?

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 1805/16/2012

Miss Jackson is a NATIONAL TREASURE!

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 1905/16/2012

R17, either you're completely stupid or have been living under a rock for the last couple of decades, (and I'm guessing it's the former). Janet Jackson doesn't have any classic songs? Delusional much?

All of your taste must be in your mouth. I can see that you need a reality check, so let me give you one:

NASTY is not only a good song, it's a great dance/pop track that ushered in many a copycat in the mid-late '80s (Vanessa Williams's "The Right Stuff", Nia Peeples's "Trouble", etc.), and its catchphrase (Miss Jackson if you're nasty) is STILL used today

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY is not only instantly recognizable with its bassline, hook and chorus, but it is often sampled and has been covered by artists such as Prince in concert

RHYTHM NATION was recently remade by P!nk for the Happy Feet 2 movie. Its mantra of hope and world unity is just as relevant today as it was when the song was released. The music video alone is a classic

THAT'S THE WAY LOVE GOES is an R&B classic, and was her biggest hit as it stayed atop the Billboard Hot 100 for 8 weeks

COME BACK TO ME is consistantly sampled, and is one of her most recognizable ballads

AGAIN was not only nominated for an Oscar, but it, too, has been sampled many times

IF was recently covered by Kelly Clarkson in concert

BLACK CAT, a purely hard rock track and Janet's 4th Hot 100 #1, was covered by Britney Spears in concert

CONTROL is another instantly recognizable track. Whitney Houston even briefly covered it in concert in the late '80s

p.s., of the three tracks you named at the end of your post, guess which one wasn't written by the artist who sang it?

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 2005/16/2012

Miss Jackson is a NATIONAL HAS-BEEN!

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 2105/16/2012

R21, put the Haterade down, darlin'.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 2205/16/2012

r20, those songs were hits in the past. No-one is doubting that.

But they are FORGOTTEN TODAY.

There are only so many songs from the past that can become part of the national consciousness, and Janet hasn't managed to get her songs into that territory.

I already said that 'Nasty' is the one exception, it is remembered for the sassy line 'Miss Jackson, if you're nasty'. But musically, the song isn't very much.

And it's immaterial who penned 'Like a Virgin' - Madonna made it a timeless hit, and it will remain a timeless hit.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 2305/16/2012

Can you guys please pause this never ending argument on Janet's birthday? Geez.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 2405/16/2012

Madonna who?

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 2505/16/2012

Forgotten, R23? Did you not read anything I said at R20? If any of those songs were "forgotten", then artists wouldn't still be covering them. People wouldn't still be referencing them.

"Nasty" was unlike anything released before it. The production for that track was an amalgamation of pop, R&B and industrial-strength dance beats that helped change the sound of dance music at the time. It also had a TV show and a WWE wrestling duo named after it.

"...Lately" inspired a pre-set that was once used on a version of the Yamaha synthesizer, and it was also covered in the film Sister Act 2. Etc, etc, etc.

Perhaps you don't know what national consciousness is. A song that is consistantly referenced, sampled, remade and covered over the years IS national consciousness.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 2605/16/2012

Ms Jackson has an excuse to stuff her face with cake!

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 2705/16/2012

LMAO R25!

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 2905/16/2012

She has a big fat ass here but Queen wants eat it and her pussy. Yum!

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 3005/16/2012

R31 is MANdonna--jealous that Janet doesn't have to wear arm-socks to cover her veiny, grizzled arms.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 3205/16/2012

Janet's IF dance break has yet to be equalled by anyone.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 3305/16/2012

Pow!

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 3405/16/2012

Yes indeed, R33. They're playing all her videos now on cable. Lovin' it.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 3505/16/2012

R34, The Knowledge was one of MJ's favorite songs by his baby sister. The video for the song (taken from the Rhythm Nation mini-movie) is all kinds of fierce.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 3605/16/2012

Lets have some more Janet birthday celebrations!

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 3705/18/2013

Not even herself r33. Once her BFF was kicked to the curve (The actual talent behind that dance).

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 3805/18/2013

Funny you mention that r38. I think Janet latched on Jermaine Dupri because she was very lonely after she broke up with Rene and Tina.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 3905/18/2013

Her break up Tina was an idiotic move. It's never been the same.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 4005/18/2013

Platinum records for Control, 1986, Rhythm Nation 1814, 1989, and janet., 1993; MTV Video Music Awards, 1987 and 1991; Grammy Award for Best Music Video, 1990; three Soul Train Awards, 1990; awarded star on Hollywood "Walk of Fame" during "Janet Jackson Week," Los Angeles, 1990; Billboard-Tanqueray Sterling Artist of Achievement, 1990; BMI Pop Awards, Songwriter of the Year, 1990; National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Chairman's Award, 1992; Sammy Davis Jr. Award for Entertainer of the Year, 1992; American Music Awards, Award of Merit, 2001; Radio Music Awards, Legend Award, 2004; NCAA Image Award, Best Supporting Actress, 2008; Human Rights Campaign, Humanitarian Award, 2005; Gay & Lesbian Alliance against Defamation, Vanguard Award, 2008.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 4105/18/2013

lol

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 4205/18/2013

[quote]Her break up Tina was an idiotic move. It's never been the same.

All For You is my favorite choreography Janet performed, and that post Tina. All For You was Shawnette's work I think. She was with Janet for a long time too. I wonder if Gil has stopped working for Janet since she is not performing for the time being.

by Florida Evans and Penny reply 4305/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.