Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Brandon Routh gay sitcom gets picked up by CBS!

BJ will play Michael Urie's partner in the new series "Partners" from the creators of "Will & Grace."

by Anonymousreply 7411/27/2012

Impressed that this is a CBS show, they are usually not a very gay-friendly network, we are making progress.

by Anonymousreply 105/16/2012

Could Michael Urie really pull someone of Brandon's calibre?

by Anonymousreply 205/16/2012

That depends R2.

Is Michael Urie playing a high-powered publicist?

by Anonymousreply 305/16/2012

r2 - of course not. Us gays only go for partners who are completely identical to ourselves in every way.

r2 - you're a big silly.

by Anonymousreply 405/16/2012

I'll be curious as to how "gay" they will be. Will they be able to touch? Show emotions? Kiss? That'll be the true test of how gay friendly CBS is...

by Anonymousreply 505/16/2012

I haven't watched NCIS in years, but aren't they introducing a gay character onto that show as well?

by Anonymousreply 605/16/2012

Cute, OP. The actors will play work partners not romantic partners. Like CBS would put on a show that centers on a gay romantic relationship. Ha!

by Anonymousreply 705/16/2012

The four major networks now all have shows featuring gay leads. (Perhaps CW does too but i don't know). ABC--Modern Family, CBS--Partners, NBC--The New Normal and Fox--Glee.

I can hear the heads exploding.

The characters in Partners are best friends and business partners. One is gay and the other is straight. The straight one gets engaged to his girlfriend in the pilot.

by Anonymousreply 805/16/2012

Well, that is a little disappointing but I'll watch it. I was watching old UB episodes and forgot how much I liked Michael Urie...

by Anonymousreply 905/16/2012

LOL r8... I'm curious, has there ever been a time when the big four each had a show with black or Hispanic characters in the lead?

I guess the gay Jews do control Hollywood.

Another thing... all four of the shows you cite have gay couples that are played by one gay actor (JTF, Chris Colfer, Andrew Rannells and Michael Urie) and one straight actor (Eric Stonestreet, Darrin Criss - nominally, Justin Bartha and BJ). I wonder if this is done on purpose? Maybe the nets would have a problem casting two gay actors as a couple.

by Anonymousreply 1005/16/2012

ABC has Scandal with Kerry Washington. NBC has a new show called Infamous with Meagan Goode in the lead. Fox just ordered a show with Mindy Kaling in the lead. And CBS has NCIS LA with LL Cool J as a co lead.

Next season will be a better one than most in terms of diversity.

by Anonymousreply 1105/16/2012

[quote]The actors will play work partners not romantic partners.

The premise of the series is based on the long-standing partnership of the show's creators, Kohan and Mutchnick, and will portray their personal relationships as well as their professional one. David Krumholtz is the straight one, Michael Urie the gay one, with Sophia Bush as Krumholtz's fiancee and Brandon Routh as Urie's boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 1205/16/2012

B.R. is gonna be here in my hometown on Friday to talk about his show! YAY!!

by Anonymousreply 1305/16/2012

You're correct, r12. My error. Good for CBS. Kudos to them.

I predict the show won't for work for that audience though.

by Anonymousreply 1405/16/2012

Brandon Routh is so hot.

by Anonymousreply 1505/16/2012

If you have problems with Brandon being out of Michael Urie's league... David Krumholtz, the other partner, is paired with Sophia Bush!

And get this... Michael Urie's character is EMBARRASSED because BJ's character is a nurse!

If I looked like Michael and BJ was my boyfriend, I wouldn't care if he cleaned toilets for a living!

by Anonymousreply 1605/16/2012

ABC is very gay-friendly

Modern family,Happy Endings,Suburgatory,GCB,Reba"s new show ect

by Anonymousreply 1705/16/2012

I wish Brandon Routh would pick ME up!

"You've got me! Whose got you?!"

by Anonymousreply 1805/16/2012

He's going to be a proud papa soon. Courtney is seven months preggers.

by Anonymousreply 1905/16/2012

Love Michael U

by Anonymousreply 2005/16/2012

Will be glad to see Michael Urie on TV again. Also, the show has MOLLY FUCKING SHANNON!!! I LOVE MOLLY FUCKING SHANNON!!!

by Anonymousreply 2105/16/2012

I love Michael Urie and his little cupid's bow mouth. I just wanna kiss him.

by Anonymousreply 2205/16/2012

I normally dislike sitcoms but this looks good.

by Anonymousreply 2305/16/2012

This one looks pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 2405/16/2012

R8, CW has L.A. Complex

by Anonymousreply 2505/16/2012

@10-Anti semitic much, bitch?

by Anonymousreply 2605/16/2012

Based on the shows that have filled their schedule, if CBS thinks this is a funny sitcom, odds are high that I won't.

by Anonymousreply 2705/16/2012

R19...Enough cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2805/16/2012

by Anonymousreply 2905/17/2012

The "jokes" in the show preview are really pathetic. This show is going to fail quickly, not from the premise, but the bad casting and poor writing.

by Anonymousreply 3005/17/2012

The gay guy is rather annoying. Could he be a little less flambouyant without all the twirling and bowing when delivering a line. You can be gay and funny without spinning all over the set.

by Anonymousreply 3105/17/2012

This thread will end in queers.

by Anonymousreply 3205/17/2012

Michael Urie isn't an actor, he's a personality. Same character in every production.

by Anonymousreply 3405/17/2012

When I first heard about this, the article said it was going to star Brandon Routh and Justin Bartha. Now THAT'S a hot couple! The idea that Michael Urie could land Brandon Routh is hysterically funny. But it continues the 'Modern Family' pattern of having gay men portrayed as a 'husband and wife'.

by Anonymousreply 3505/17/2012

R34, I disagree. His character on UB was very different than what he appears to be in R16's link.

I never watch sitcoms, but I'll probably do with this one what I did with Will & Grace. I watched the first few episodes, wished it well, and then never saw it again.

I'm not saying sitcoms are bad, they just aren't my thing. But I hope it succeeds, anyway. My god, if Whitney can be picked up for a second season, this one (based on the clip at 16) ought to run for 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 3605/17/2012

What is this UB people are referring too?

by Anonymousreply 3705/17/2012

Ugly Betty.

Yeah, when are we going to get a gay couple that's equally attractive and both are masculine? All four of those shows mentioned earlier have "butch/femme" gay couples.

I'm wondering if maybe this is a kind of "wish fulfillment" on the part of the show's creators (Max Mutchnik and Ryan Murphy) imagining their surrogates being able to land - and dominate - these hot, masculine guys.

by Anonymousreply 3805/17/2012

She's dropped the "Fucking" and now just goes by Molly Shannon.

by Anonymousreply 3905/17/2012

It doesn't look funny, plus I refuse to watch anything on CBS - even with Sophia Bush and Brandon Routh.

by Anonymousreply 4005/17/2012

R38, which one is the butch in the Michael Urie/Brandon Routh couple?

Seriously, did you see the clip? Brandon is not butch.

by Anonymousreply 4105/17/2012

Thanks, R39. I was worried her middle name might limit her ability to get work.

Looking at the promo - oy! A little painful. And the whole 'do you need the girls' thing with the big boobs is SOOOO Jack and Karen. And yeah, in no universe would Michael Urie, as cute as he is, land a Brandon Routh.

by Anonymousreply 4205/17/2012

For perspective,here is Michael's real life boyfriend,Ryan:

by Anonymousreply 4305/17/2012

Now that guy is much more in line with what Michael Urie should be able to pull.

by Anonymousreply 4505/17/2012

Matching wide hips, R43.

"Do you have anything that could make my hips look bigger?"

"Why, yes; low-waisted pants in plaid. Plaid has been around for twelve billion years, you know."

by Anonymousreply 4605/17/2012

Why do TV writers think creating doppelgangers for themselves and writing about their neurotic, whiny lives is remotely interesting? Narcissism x 2.

by Anonymousreply 4705/17/2012

Actually there are lots of relationships between butch hot guys and pretty femme guys, but the butch one is the dominant one in the relationship, and the femme one doesn't go around emasculating his partner like it looks like Urie's character will be doing.

I wonder what Max Mutchnick's problem is with gay relationships, between this and Will & Grace his protagonists are always embarrassed by the guys they're dating, and there are always class and masculinity issues. I thought maybe he would have matured as a result of his own marriage (to Herb Ritts's widower, a very handsome and successful lawyer) but it looks like he still has issues.

by Anonymousreply 4805/17/2012

r48, shows need conflicts. Conflicts that people relate to and want to laugh about (instead of being concerned about them).

by Anonymousreply 4905/17/2012

Justin Bartha is in the OTHER gay show with the guy from The Book of Mormon, The New Normal.

by Anonymousreply 5005/17/2012

OMM will rally to have it taken off the air.

by Anonymousreply 5105/17/2012

[quote]Yeah, when are we going to get a gay couple that's equally attractive and both are masculine? All four of those shows mentioned earlier have "butch/femme" gay couples.

I'd hardly call Mitchell butch. Though I guess he's more butch than Cam.

by Anonymousreply 5205/17/2012

Just from watching the preview I would say that Michael Urie has better chemistry with Sophia Bush than with Brandon Routh. As for Brandon he seems a bit out of place with the other actors.

by Anonymousreply 5305/17/2012

I'm all about gay representation on TV, but I'm getting bored by the gay characters on TV all being vaguely effiminate upper middle class white males who are supported by some kind of sassy black surrogate (Mercedes on Glee, Nene on New Normal).

Like I said, all about gay representation but it's getting to the point where there really isn't anything groundbreaking about these portrayals.

However, I do think they're paving the way for more interesting shades of gay life on TV, particularly the Santana/Brittany relationship on Glee, the gay interracial relationship on Smash, and the black gay storyline on LA Complex.

by Anonymousreply 5405/17/2012

Totally agree with r54.

Unfortunately it looks like Hwood just wants to continue knocking off "Modern Family"'s formula of safe, neutered comic relief gays (Look how sassy they are! Everybody laugh!).

by Anonymousreply 5505/17/2012

Are we going to start a betting pool for how many episodes it lasts?

I'm thinking four episodes.

by Anonymousreply 5605/17/2012

[quote] That's what happens when execs hire their untalented family members to wrap shit shows

I don't think that Max Mutchnick and David Kohan are related to anyone at CBS.

by Anonymousreply 5705/17/2012

R54 missed Six Feet Under, The Wire and even Happy Endings.

by Anonymousreply 5805/17/2012

How can you consider the guy from HAPPY ENDING gay when he does nothing gay at all. He was as gay as Christian Slater in the last Broadway production of THE GLASS MENAGERIE. Barney Rubble maybe, gay no.

by Anonymousreply 5905/17/2012

Christ, bitching and moaning from two minutes of clips. Bunch of lonely sad people here. The producers have a good track record. I'll at least give them a chance for a few episodes, and leave all you doom and gloomers to laugh your asses off to that "Whitney" yuckfest.

by Anonymousreply 6105/18/2012

I wonder if Routh will get replaced before this hits the air. Critics have been noting his flat performance.

by Anonymousreply 6205/18/2012

It's going to fail big for three reasons:

1. The guy who plays the straight guy has a fem muffin face that no straight woman or gay man would find appealing. Your casting needs to ensure that, while your leads may not be sexy, they need to be appealing.

2. It's unfunny and try-hard.

3. It's easy to be too Jewy McJew for mainstream audiences, and this rams it down the audience's throat solely to make a point, till you want to start a pogram.

by Anonymousreply 6305/18/2012

And reply 63 your expertise in writing, directing, producing AND casting a situation comedy, beside watching re-runs of "Three's Company" on Nick @ Nite is exactly, what?

by Anonymousreply 6405/18/2012

The uber-queeny uptight label queen stereotype really needs to die. On TV and in real life. So... ugh

I know a dozen gay male couples, and most of them have at least one non-queeny-label-queen-judgy-ponce, if not two.

But then, I don't live in NYC or LA, where apparently all gays have to pick their stereotype and then conform rigidly.

by Anonymousreply 6505/18/2012

Sounds like gay version of The Big Bang Theory with the straight one being Leonard and Urie playing the high maintainance and snippy Sheldon especially with the punchline joke of the straight calling his best gay friend giggling about him having sex for the first time with his girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 6605/18/2012

It's really, really, really Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 6705/26/2012

by Anonymousreply 6809/26/2012

I hear this one is close to being cancelled. After one airing. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 6909/30/2012

The casting couch goddess is about to have his show yanked.

by Anonymousreply 7009/30/2012

[quote]why do tv shows have to have the "gay" character? No offense to homosexuals or even minorites but it feels as though the networks try too hard to bring in characters just to say they are a diverse network. Gets old quick.

And yet, not as quick as you.

by Anonymousreply 7210/08/2012

I'm more interested why the troll at R71 put gay in quotes. I bet he's the same asshole who's been stinking up the political threads the last few days.

by Anonymousreply 7310/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!