Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

New Book Claims Zodiac Killer Alive, Living in California

A new book claims that the infamous Zodiac killer is still alive and living in Northern California.

"The Zodiac Killer Cover Up" was written by a former California Highway Patrol officer, Lyndon Lafferty, and adds another theory to the much-discussed serial killer case in Northern California.

The Zodiac killer is blamed for at least five slayings in 1968 and 1969. There was never an arrest in the case.

Three killings occurred in Vallejo. Teenagers David Farraday and Betty Lou Jensen were shot to death in December 1968.

Darlene Ferrin, 22, was shot and killed seven months later at Blue Rock Springs Golf Club. Her companion, Michael Mageau, 19, survived.

In "The Zodiac Killer Cover Up," Lafferty claims the killer is now a 91-year-old man living in Solano County.

The book uses aliases and does not identify the alleged killer by name.

Lafferty claims he and other lawmen investigated the suspect in the early 1970s but were stymied by "power brokers" in Solano County.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the book has stirred new debate among those who have followed the famous killings.

The San Francisco police formally closed the case in 2004.

The Zodiac killer got his name by taunting newspapers and the police with letters and puzzles.

"The police shall never catch me, because I have been too clever for them," he wrote in a letter sent to the San Francisco Chronicle.

"I enjoy needling the blue pigs," he wrote. Detectives thought they might have had a break two years ago, when a partial DNA profile was taken from envelopes containing the letters.

The genetic evidence seemed to clear the only suspect ever named by police -- Arthur Leigh Allen of Vallejo.

Allen, who was never charged, died of a heart attack in 1992.

by Anonymousreply 6904/13/2014

One of the best films in the last 20 years and it gets no awards. What bullshit!

by Anonymousreply 105/15/2012

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. I can watch it every time it's on and not get tired of it.

by Anonymousreply 205/15/2012

What exactly did this guy do to cover up the killings by county leaders? This case has always fascinated me due to the macabre nature of the murders. Allen was the best suspect but just like the jfk murder we will probably never learn the full truth. Unless someone comes forward. Somehow i doubt this is him. That would have made him around 50 at the time of the killings. Witnesses i believe stated he sounded and appeared in his twenties or thirties.

by Anonymousreply 305/15/2012

Do you think the killer is East Asian? I think there is a possibility given the person's strange behavior.

by Anonymousreply 405/15/2012

I heard it sucked, R1.

by Anonymousreply 505/15/2012

If so, by all means leave him alone. Those killings happened years ago, and he's clearly had a lot to contribute to society since then.

by Anonymousreply 605/15/2012

It neglects to mention him and his buddies are a bunch of retired old duffers, who get together for breakfast once a week to talk about this case. The book is a real turdpile,full of innaccuracies and conjecture

by Anonymousreply 705/15/2012

You heard wrong, R5.

by Anonymousreply 805/15/2012

[quote]he's clearly had a lot to contribute to society since then

Like what, R6?

by Anonymousreply 905/15/2012

Terry Richardson? He matches the composite.

by Anonymousreply 1005/15/2012

"Zodiac" is a horrible film! They took a fascinating story and made it completely boring. And they indicted a guy who's presumed to be innocent. Don't bother with it. Only a moron would find it entertaining. Jakey's 'performance' is cringe-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 1105/15/2012

For those of you who lived in the Bay Area during the 60s and 70s, how scared were you of the Zodiac? Did you change your behavior at all during this time? I would have been scared to death to go home with a stranger that I just met at a bar.

by Anonymousreply 1205/15/2012

R12 I was a young kid in Vallejo at the time.

It was a scary time, but I was a little too young to comprehend just how scary. We had family friends in the Vallejo Police Department but my mom tried to shelter us and didn't discuss it and I was too young to read the paper or watch the news.

But every kid in Vallejo to greater or lesser extent just grew up with the fact that there was this crazed lunatic out there. But I really don't remember being scared all the time. Maybe my parents were.

I do remember Zodiac ruined Halloween--this was in the days when kids went out Trick-or- Treating without their parents. No more Trick- or-Treat. The fuck.

Later, when I was a teen, my BF used to scare me by driving to one of the remote killing locations and parking. Not a smart thing to do since Z was never caught. Not funny to me, either.

by Anonymousreply 1405/15/2012

[quote]If so, by all means leave him alone. Those killings happened years ago, and he's clearly had a lot to contribute to society since then.

First, you have no idea what he's done or hasn't done.

Second, you're insane.

by Anonymousreply 1505/15/2012

[quote] him and his buddies

Oh , dear

by Anonymousreply 1605/15/2012

R14, thanks for sharing. Awesome fright your boyfriend must've given you. I'd have been scared, too.

The David Fincher movie is awesome. Anyone who doesn't like it is a moron. It's visually stunning, a fantastically accurate period piece, and a real thrill for any fan of the case, even those who dismiss ALA as a suspect.

The special edition Blu Ray is even better. The documentaries included, featuring interviews with the surviving victims and the police officers who were at the crime scenes, are scary as hell and thoroughly compelling.

Saw the movie 4 times in the theater when it was out. You know what took the #1 spot the weekend it opened? Wild Hogs with John Travolta. Was that more up your alley, R11?

by Anonymousreply 1705/15/2012

If this is true then I'm positive he didn't have a sex change and create a new identity which allowed him to win the world over as a bubbly young actress by the name of Kristin Chenowith. Nope, I'm sure that didn't happen at all. And don't even bother checking her panties, which are packed full with an nice dick and heavy balls.

by Anonymousreply 1805/15/2012

Brilliant film. If you don't get it you don't get it - there are plenty of other movies made for you.

by Anonymousreply 1905/15/2012

Wonderful movie, not boring in the least. One of the few serial killer movies that is truly disturbing because there is no resolution. Like the ending of Silence of the Lambs without the campiness.

by Anonymousreply 2005/15/2012

OK I've never seen 'Zodiac' but now I'm going to watch it. Jake G. turned me off from watching it (not a fan of his) but I guess it's good in spite of him?

by Anonymousreply 2105/15/2012

Jake was good in it, R21. I knew the case well from the Robert Graysmith book and the film captures the creepy ambiance and sense of dread. I think it's Fincher's best film.

by Anonymousreply 2205/15/2012

I enjoyed the movie but thought Gyllenhall was a weak link. RDJ, Mark Ruffalo and the supporting cast are all outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 2305/16/2012

I'm sure he posts on DL.

by Anonymousreply 2405/16/2012

Both Iron Man and The Hulk was in it? It must be good.

by Anonymousreply 2505/16/2012

Totally agree, R11. The movie was snoozeworthy, and about 1 1/2 hours too long.

by Anonymousreply 2605/16/2012

Iron Man in the Hulk were great, but the Prince of Persia almost ruined it.

by Anonymousreply 2705/16/2012

As any such thread on any remotely lurid story illustrates the market for such a book which draws from two camps: 1.) those who must have every story neatly resolved and wrapped up with a bow and a Cliff's Notes edition; and 2.) those must side against all evident logic with some crackpot theory that Ari Onassis, LBJ, Jewish bankers, and the Masons were behind a massively intricate and orchestrated cover-up.

by Anonymousreply 2805/16/2012

R28 - you seem to know something about 9/11 that 'we' don't...

by Anonymousreply 2905/16/2012

Anyone who thinks that movie was a great film is bonkers. It's incredibly boring, which is really saying something given the story they had to work with. They changed some of the facts for some inexplicable reason, and the ending is fake. Jake is terrible in it, but he's generally pretty bad so no big surprise there. Reading about the case is much scarier than watching that movie.

by Anonymousreply 3005/16/2012

It's a terrible movie. Slow as hell, no suspense, no scare, terrible acting, etc. The murder tv cookie cutter crime shows on the case are more riveting.

by Anonymousreply 3105/16/2012

This book costs nearly $50 on Amazon. It's ghetto as hell, and the reviews say that the factual inaccuracies are unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 3205/16/2012

It was an excellent movie. And I'm someone who thinks Graysmith was full of shit. The murders were so well done that I simply could not watch them a second time - when I rewatched the movie I had to skip scenes to get past them. Even without gore those scenes were completely chilling.

I did watch one of the extras on the DVD that showed them filming the Lake Berryessa attack. Seeing that and watching the knife used with no blade turned it back into a make believe scene for me and helped me get through a rewatching of that scene.

This crime has had all kinds of law enforcement agencies trying to solve it including the FBI. I doubt one county in California had the wherewithal to forestall an investigation.

by Anonymousreply 3305/16/2012

The scariest thing was how the killer would call Graysmith on the phone and breathe. I wonder why he never killed Graysmith? He had to know where he lived.

The scariest scene was with Charles Fleischer in the basement. I wonder if it really happened as depicted? This plot point was left dangling in the movie. I guess they wanted to leave it to the viewer to decide whether or not the projectionist knew the killer. It's very likely the killer saw "The Most Dangerous Game" at that theater, since it was before the time of VCRs.

by Anonymousreply 3405/16/2012

Serial murderers don't just stop killing on their own.

by Anonymousreply 3505/16/2012

R34...no, the scene changed the details. The actual incident was much scarier. I thought they filmed that scene really badly. But the whole movie was so banal.

by Anonymousreply 3605/16/2012

R36, what really happened?

by Anonymousreply 3705/16/2012

it's Bruce Davis of the manson family! google it

by Anonymousreply 3805/16/2012

[bold] 92-Year-Old Alleged To Be Zodiac Killer Has Died [/bold]

SAN FRANCISCO -- The man alleged to be the Zodiac Killer in a new book written by a former California Highway Patrol officer has died.

The book, "The Zodiac Killer Cover-Up" by Lyndon Lafferty, suggested that the infamous serial killer was now 91 years old and living in Northern California. But a report in the San Francisco Chronicle says that man died of a heart attack in February. He was 92.

"I can't say my suspect is absolutely the Zodiac, but I am 98% sure we have the right man, and he's been our suspect for 40 years," Lafferty told the Chronicle. "His having died really doesn't change anything in my book."

The Zodiac Killer is blamed for at least five slayings in 1968 and 1969. There was never an arrest in the case.

Three killings occurred in Vallejo. Teenagers David Farraday and Betty Lou Jensen were shot to death in December 1968. Darlene Ferrin, 22, was shot and killed seven months later at Blue Rock Springs Golf Club. Her companion, Michael Mageau, 19, survived.

In "The Zodiac Killer Cover-Up" Lafferty claims the killer was living in Solano County. The book uses aliases and does not identify the alleged killer by name. Lafferty claims he and other lawmen investigated the suspect in the early 1970s but were stymied by "power brokers" in Solano County.

Although the man Lafferty named is in the Napa County sheriff's database of people of interest in the case, authorities told the Chronicle he was not a suspect.

One neighbor who lived near the man for 40 years said there is no way he could have been the Zodiac Killer.

"It's utterly ridiculous," Nora Del Ross said.

The San Francisco police formally closed the case in 2004.

The Zodiac Killer got his name from his taunts of newspapers and police in letters and puzzles.

"The police shall never catch me, because I have been too clever for them," he wrote in a letter to the Chronicle.

"I enjoy needling the blue pigs," he wrote.

Detectives thought they might have had a break two years ago, when a partial DNA profile was taken from envelopes containing the letters.

The genetic evidence seemed to clear the only suspect ever named by police -- Arthur Leigh Allen of Vallejo. Allen, who was never charged, died of a heart attack in 1992.

by Anonymousreply 3905/17/2012

Unfortunately, he won.

What makes you say something like that, R4?

by Anonymousreply 4005/17/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 4105/22/2012

Because she's a racist, r40.

by Anonymousreply 4205/22/2012

Loved the movie! The scene with the couple by the lake is so chilling.

by Anonymousreply 4305/22/2012

R43...no it isn't. Not compared to just reading about the actual account.

by Anonymousreply 4405/22/2012

Bruce Davis seems unlikely to me because he was a "joiner" whereas Zodiac was an organized loner.

by Anonymousreply 4505/22/2012

Who walked into the exclusive row house after the cabbie murder?

That's probably the killer.

I saw the movie, but not the blu-ray/DVD extras. Did anyone ever find out who owned the house?

That was the only odd part of that case for me, that the lead was never pursued.

I know this sounds like I'm being a snob, but I just don't see Allen making a Mikado reference in one of the letters.

Zodiac would not necessarily fit the traditional profile categories.

Is Bruce Davis the name in the book r45? I'm off to google.

by Anonymousreply 4605/22/2012

Law enforcement would have *loved* to pin this on a Manson Family associate, r45.

They eliminated them all early on, and I believe it.

by Anonymousreply 4705/22/2012

I totally agree with the poster who said the drawings of the Zodiac Killer in that weird hood with the sunglasses freaked the shit out of him. Me too. Can you IMAGINE seeing that in person? Terrifying!

by Anonymousreply 4805/22/2012

Partly right. I don't live in California.

See you later, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 4905/22/2012

r48, it's even scarier when you consider the context.

There was a lot of crazy shit going on then, but it seemed to be a generation in flux, not the alienated loner killings we're used to now (child shoot shootings, serial killers, etc.).

I've been following mysteries like this for a long, long time and this one both creeps me out and drives me crazy more than any other case.

There is no bloody reason why this shouldn't be solved by now. For me, that's one of the reasons that the upper-class killer theory holds traction.

I also believe that the ciphers will be solved.

Avery also knew a lot more than he said publicly. One of his drinking buddies may yet come out of the woodwork with old papers or usable statements Avery made about the case. While I thought Fincher's movie was uneven, he smartly alluded to that point.

by Anonymousreply 5005/22/2012

r35, anyone who tries to murder cereal should see a psychiatrist.

by Anonymousreply 5105/25/2012

The rumor I find most credible is that it was a university professor who's still teaching and is a math brainiac. They know who he is. Supposedly he did it just to see if he could get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 5205/25/2012

R45 , Bruce Davis was one of the Manson family killers who has been suggested as a possible Zodiac by true crime buffs.

by Anonymousreply 5305/25/2012

It was Allen.

by Anonymousreply 5406/23/2012

No, it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 5506/25/2012

I watched it up to the point where the girl was being stabbed to death in broad daylight - and that was enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 5606/25/2012

Yes it was.

by Anonymousreply 5706/25/2012

r57

Why do you say that?

The DNA didn't match. Although it wasn't a full profile, it still sounded persuasive.

by Anonymousreply 5806/25/2012

I thought we had determined that the Zodiac killer is alive and running for president.

by Anonymousreply 5906/25/2012

Where does Mitt Romney live again?

by Anonymousreply 6006/25/2012

California, but also Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Michigan, and Ontario.

by Anonymousreply 6106/26/2012

and?

by Anonymousreply 6207/18/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 6310/13/2012

Heh heh heh -- Romney

by Anonymousreply 6410/13/2012

Yea, serial killers like to move around.

by Anonymousreply 6510/13/2012

@r14 and r12, I grew up in the East Bay in the 60's and still can't bring myself to see this movie. My parents banned me from watching TV news. All of my gradeschool friends and I believed we'd be killed.

Years later, I would have a near encounter with another lovely person, David Carpenter, aka "The Trailside Killer". Thankfully, he was caught and locked up for good.

r12, being raised in the Bay Area was a freaky experience in general. But I'd rather live here than anywhere else on this continent.

by Anonymousreply 6610/13/2012

R66 The movie will definitely take you back, so if you do decide to see it, be prepared. Interestingly, in a bit part in the film, I saw who I think was supposed to be my father (a few seconds shot of a cop but with identical job duties at the same time and place as my dad who worked for the Vallejo PD), and that was a trip.

Yes, it was sometimes freaky growing up in the Bay Area, but the laid-back lifestyle, along with the easy trips from Trinidad to Joshua Tree and everything in between more than made up for it.

If I could afford the same lifestyle I have here on the East Coast, I'd move back. If I won the lottery, I'd have at least one house in Marin.

by Anonymousreply 6710/13/2012

I went to a Zodiac forum and there's this POI named Ross Sullivan who looks exactly like the Zodiac, and can very easily be connected to one of his possible murders.

by Anonymousreply 6804/13/2014
Need more help? Click Here.