Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

California is fast becoming the new Greece

California Governor Jerry Brown has proposed a four-day work week to reduce pay for state employees and  other cuts, mostly in welfare and medical care for the poor.

Trimming the standard week would be the equivalent of a 5 percent pay cut, according to the Governor,  saving $400 million a year for the desperate government of California. (20% fewer days equals a 5% cut...count me in!)

Health care for the poor would also be cut back. It would take the biggest reduction, about $1.2 billion, with $1.1 billion sliced from welfare and care for the disabled. (so, don't cut the cops, or bureaucrats, just the things people actually WANT from their taxes---nice)

The cuts though significant will not come close to closing the budget gap. The proposed cuts will amount $8.7 billion in total, but the estimated budget deficit is $15.7 billion for the coming fiscal year.Â

The reality-

We're in a Currency Union we can't leave. We depend on massive loans from other to stay afloat. The answer to a level of taxation that has caused the economy to collapse over the last decade (we were headed down well before the Real Estate Bubble burst) is MORE taxes.

"Tax beating will continue until business morale improves" seems to be the philosophy.

The level of Government provided "goodies" are so high as to attract great consumption, and the taxes are so high as to drive away production.

We also have our own version of "Cap and Tax" on carbon dioxide, so our electric rates are much higher than most in the USA. Or grid is rapidly headed for instability and on the radio was a warning to expect rolling blackouts and brownouts when summer heat kicks in.

People and companies can avoid a 9.75% sales tax and an 11% income tax (not to mention gas taxes, Diesel taxes, property taxes, and a variety of "user fees" if you actually do use a service and are not on welfare...) just by moving a couple of hundred miles to a different state.

One local company made cast lead products. They moved to Nevada simply because it was nearly impossible to comply with the environmental mandates on handling lead.

My mechanic repairs transmissions. He can not get a solvent that works (to clean the parts of the transmission so it can be repaired) that meets the California Air Resources Board volatile organics regulations. It is readily sold in Nevada. Guess where transmission repair will be moving?

by Anonymousreply 7701/29/2013

That was brought to you by Freeper Daily News.

by Anonymousreply 105/15/2012

OP = Jennifer Rubin of The Washington Post, Romney supporter

by Anonymousreply 405/15/2012

If I squeeze a gay Republican's balls, does he squeal "TAX CUTS"?

by Anonymousreply 705/15/2012

Why dont they ever talk about Texas's 30 billion debt problem? Never brought up when Rick Perry was about to run.One thing both states have in common is Republican Governors drove them to the cliff.

by Anonymousreply 805/15/2012

[quote]The only person offering an alternative is Ron Paul.

Lord, what a bunch of kooks.

Tell me, asshole, do Ron and Rand have my tax dollars paying for THEIR healthcare or do they stand by their ideology and refuse socialized medicine?

by Anonymousreply 905/15/2012

[quote]The only person offering an alternative is Ron Paul.

Whew. Thanks, Libertarian Dipshit, I needed that.

by Anonymousreply 1105/15/2012

Do you still spell it "rascist," R14?

You wouldn't know "sense" even if it ass-raped you.

by Anonymousreply 1505/15/2012

"fags", R14?

Romney must have his paid minions working overtime.

R8, TX will soon be in the same boat as CA. You cannot spend more than you earn for long without eventually going bankrupt. MA, IL, MI and FL will go before TX, though.

by Anonymousreply 1605/15/2012

He does have his paid minions working overtime. Note to Governor Brown: you could easily save all the money you need by simply letting the drug convicted out of the prisons. Of course there would be an immediate GOP fear campaign but it would work and not much would really happen in a negative sense. Indeed it might set off a virtuous elimination of the prison guards' union as controlling Sacramento! But wait until after the federal election in fall.

by Anonymousreply 1805/15/2012

Michigan isn't bankrupt.

by Anonymousreply 1905/15/2012

Just cancel the debt. Let the 1% suck it up.

Done and done.

While we're at it, cancel all Studen Loan debt too.

by Anonymousreply 2005/15/2012

TX is more reliant on federal monies (subsidies for oil industry, cap on liability), military complex for jobs. Not to mention nearly half the population is on the federal teat for healthcare. Education is abysmal. TX is going down before MA which has a far more diversified private sector economy, better education system.

by Anonymousreply 2205/15/2012

Amen, R20- the banksters haved raped us long enough.

by Anonymousreply 2405/15/2012

R23, that you are delusional enough to think that Ron Paul has any chance of winning the Presidency, is enough to completely discredit yourself.

Or that he's really any sort of Republican (yes, there's an R after his name, and yes, he's an anti-gay racist bigot like Republicans, but... he's a libertarian).

by Anonymousreply 2605/15/2012

Don't feed the Ron Paul troll. You won't win.

by Anonymousreply 3005/15/2012

California needs to pay up. It's big enough to make it three states. So why not form three states.

North Part San Francisco and Sacramento and up.

Central Part San Jose through Bakersfield

South Part South of Bakersfield to border

by Anonymousreply 3105/15/2012

I thought that California would be cured of all its problems if they kicked all the brown people out. Now I'm confused...

by Anonymousreply 3205/15/2012

I see a Ron Paul bumpersticker and just run from the person. Yes, he's right about the war but he's batshit crazy otherwise and so are most of his followers.

by Anonymousreply 3405/15/2012

Can Webmaster please ban the weirdo homophobic creep pointed out by R28?

Loons like that are driving the rest of us away.

by Anonymousreply 3505/15/2012

R18 is on to something.

by Anonymousreply 3605/15/2012

r6, speaking of illegals ....

Over objections from Gov. Cuomo and city officials, the feds will begin using fingerprints from NYPD arrests next week to round up illegal immigrants, the New York Daily News has learned.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials told the NYPD and other local police departments in New York that the controversial Secure Communities program will be activated Tuesday across the state.

The program is already running — feeding fingerprint information from local police to Homeland Security through the FBI — in Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk counties.

Last June, Cuomo unsuccessfully tried to pull New York from the program, which the feds initially characterized as voluntary.

Homeland Security officials now say it is mandatory. ................................................. BTW, Obama has deported more illegals than any president. Mayor Bloomberg won't be able to claim a "Sanctuary City" anymore.

by Anonymousreply 3705/15/2012

Could we take all the Libertarians and banish them to that man-made island powered completely by The Invisible Hand of the Market(TM)? Pretty please?

by Anonymousreply 3805/15/2012

Seize assets of the 1% Nationally and eliminate most Government debt in one shot. Consider it payment for the Corporate rape and pillaging of America.

by Anonymousreply 4005/15/2012

I share people's frustrations about illegals in California but I would imagein all the rich (or not-that-rich; takes years for a new winery owner to be making real bucks, I have been told) winery owners would shriek if illegals were sent back; do you think there are many white people wliling to pick grapes?

Or: clean house?

Or work at a lot of low wage jobs? I lived in San Francisco 24 years (on and off); maybe saw 5, total white people working at, for example, a McDonald's. Mainly Hispanics.

I realize a lot of them were/are legal. McDonald's not a good example, sorry, but the "underground" economy is.

I used to like Jerry Brown! Wonder if he inhereited most of these problems from Schwarzenneger?

by Anonymousreply 4205/15/2012

r40 is a commie!

by Anonymousreply 4305/16/2012

Is California going to throw another Democratic Governor out of office again, and put in a Republican?

by Anonymousreply 4405/16/2012

i hope a real conservative this time!

by Anonymousreply 4505/16/2012

Use trolldar on R46 for a good chuckle. Don't forget to leave it on when you return to the front page to see how many of these threads he's started.

by Anonymousreply 4707/27/2012

How many times are you going to post that, r46?

by Anonymousreply 4807/27/2012

Illegal aliens do NOT take low paying jobs that Americans do not want.

This is a myth.

Illegal aliens take "illegal jobs." Those are the ones that pay less than minimum wage, the ones that violate OSHA standards, the ones that don't violate labor laws. and so forth.

This is why giving illegals the right to work doesn't do any good. Because all the formerly illegals just quit these illegal jobs and take legal jobs.

Now the "illegal jobs" are unfilled and more illegals come in to take their place.

It's ludicrous that I see business importing people from Canada and the UK to do jobs Americans could easily do. I am talking management jobs that are paying over 50K.

But both the Democrats and Republicans think this is great.

Like there isn't a single New Yorker that couldn't be a front office manager for $86,000/year. Yet in my company they imported a guy from Canada for that. And he brought over two people from the UK to be on his staff. That is three jobs, lost to immigrants while millions of people in America are underemployed.

It's not the ILLEGALS that are the problem. It is the LEGAL ALIENS, that are taking the good jobs.

And why should this even be an issue. It should be simple. If a company has a job opening and gives it to an immigrant they should have to prove, NO AMERICAN wanted it.

by Anonymousreply 4907/27/2012

And the Repugs were grooming him for POTUS (after they got that pesky 'foreign-born' thing out of the way)!

Maybe he really was The Terminator- sent to destroy the U.S. California was just practice.

by Anonymousreply 5007/28/2012

[quote]And the Repugs were grooming him for POTUS (after they got that pesky 'foreign-born' thing out of the way)!

Obama seems to have eliminated that "problem".

by Anonymousreply 5107/28/2012

Lucky California.

by Anonymousreply 5207/28/2012

$5/gal gas? Not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 5310/09/2012

California voters did this to themselves by voting away so many property taxes and still demanding services.

by Anonymousreply 5410/09/2012

I'd pick grapes for minimum wage, if they paid minimum wage.

by Anonymousreply 5510/09/2012

gold standard! uncertainty! too many regulations! ruin the environment! ron paul! blah, blah, blah. spare us your broekn record of lies and obfuscation, freeperella.

the solution is to tax the rich at 90% like the good old days, and if they don't like that, well, there is always the guillotines.

by Anonymousreply 5610/09/2012

OP = Libertarian on meth binge

Step away from the computer and go finger your ass or something.

by Anonymousreply 5710/09/2012

Are you going to call everyone a meth addict r57? .....BTW op posted this last May

by Anonymousreply 5810/09/2012

They had meth back in May too.

by Anonymousreply 5910/09/2012

If California could print money, it would be okay. It's the stingy and conservative Federal Reserve that is killing our economy!

by Anonymousreply 6001/12/2013

I assumed someone was bumping this thread to say that California has now eliminated its deficit and is projecting surpluses within the next few years.

by Anonymousreply 6101/12/2013

[bold] Jerry Brown predicts California budget surplus by end of next year [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 6201/12/2013

So did Greece in 2009, and in 2010, and in 2011, and in 2012...and look how that worked!

by Anonymousreply 6301/12/2013

Credit expansion is the governments foremost tool in their struggle against the market economy. In their hands it is the magic wand designed to conjure away the scarcity of capital goods, to lower the rate of interest or to abolish it altogether, to finance lavish government spending, to expropriate the capitalists, to contrive everlasting booms, and to make everybody prosperous.

"There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved."

This first stage of the inflationary process may last for many years. While it lasts, the prices of many goods and services are not yet adjusted to the altered money relation. There are still people in the country who have not yet become aware of the fact that they are confronted with a price revolution which will finally result in a considerable rise of all prices, although the extent of this rise will not be the same in the various commodities and services. These people still believe that prices one day will drop. Waiting for this day, they restrict their purchases and concomitantly increase their cash holdings. As long as such ideas are still held by public opinion, it is not yet too late for the government to abandon its inflationary policy.

But then, finally, the masses wake up. They become suddenly aware of the fact that inflation is a deliberate policy and will go on endlessly. A breakdown occurs. The crack-up boom appears. Everybody is anxious to swap his money against 'real' goods, no matter whether he needs them or not, no matter how much money he has to pay for them. Within a very short time, within a few weeks or even days, the things which were used as money are no longer used as media of exchange. They become scrap paper. Nobody wants to give away anything against them.

It was this that happened with the Continental currency in America in 1781, with the French mandats territoriaux in 1796, and with the German mark in 1923. It will happen again whenever the same conditions appear. If a thing has to be used as a medium of exchange, public opinion must not believe that the quantity of this thing will increase beyond all bounds. Inflation is a policy that cannot last.

by Anonymousreply 6401/12/2013

The surplus Jerry is predicting is based on too much magical thinking.

When Meg Whitman was running against him and they had their first debate, I grew concerned. While Meg set forth horrible, anti-social plans and goals, she did so in a clean and clear fashion. We didn't much like what she said, but we understood it.

Jerry just prattled and really couldn't set forth clear goals and articulate them in a meaningful way. It was clear at that point, he is now doddering.

We gave the state some money to keep the schools open, etc, but we really should be grooming a younger progressive to take his place so he can go home and sing with his dog.

by Anonymousreply 6501/13/2013

Brovo R20!

by Anonymousreply 6701/13/2013

Brovo is a great name for a rottweiler

by Anonymousreply 6901/13/2013

Bill Clinton, Jerry Brown, why is it the Dems can turn a sinking ship around and bring a surplus and all the Repubs can do is start war?

California is back bitches!

by Anonymousreply 7001/13/2013

I wish the 'mo troll would die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 7201/13/2013

All of the Libertarian trolls friends are moving away. Why am I not surprised?

by Anonymousreply 7401/29/2013

[quote] They all own small companies, and all of them are relocating. All of them.

They mostly come out at night. Mostly.

by Anonymousreply 7501/29/2013

The Idiot Libertarian Freaks come out at night.

by Anonymousreply 7701/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!