Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Brewer signs bill to help debt collectors

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer has approved legislation making it easier for debt collectors to go after defaulting consumers and small businesses.

Brewer signed House Bill 2664 into law today. The measure allows collection agencies to use final billing statements as a basis to show amounts owed and interest rates as they seek court judgments and wage garnishments.

The bill was favored by debt collectors, which buy delinquent accounts from banks and credit card companies for pennies on the dollar, but receive only minimal information from those sources. It can be difficult and expensive for the collection companies to get additional information on the defaulting consumers and business owners.

Debt collectors’ business model depends on them collecting money from the account holders whose information they buy. The new state law makes it easier on them if they can obtain final billing statements from the banks and credit card issuers.

Consumer attorneys and Democrats opposed the bill, worrying about the accuracy of credit card statements and fees.

by Anonymousreply 3212/09/2012

She is a monster. Why would anyone want to live in Arizona?

by Anonymousreply 105/14/2012

what a fucking cunt.

by Anonymousreply 205/14/2012

Will somebody PLEASE throw a pan of hot grease in this hag's face already?

by Anonymousreply 305/14/2012

What R1 and R2 and R3 said.

by Anonymousreply 405/14/2012

[quote]Will somebody PLEASE throw a pan of hot grease in this hag's face already?

Are we sure someone hasn't already done that?

by Anonymousreply 605/14/2012

It's not unusual for debt collectors to try to collect money that is not in fact owed.

by Anonymousreply 705/14/2012

What a bitch! Many consumers have lost jobs, and can't pay their bills...WTF?

by Anonymousreply 805/14/2012

She looks like a mean bitch.

by Anonymousreply 905/14/2012

I had never heard of this thing before the abortion bill and now this, I refuse to dehumanize my gender by calling it a woman, she is a fucking monster, off with her head!!!

by Anonymousreply 1005/14/2012

Ha ha ha ha!!! And that goes for your little doggy too!

by Anonymousreply 1105/14/2012

Her son is incarcerated in an asylum for the criminally insane.

by Anonymousreply 1205/14/2012

It might improve her looks R3.

by Anonymousreply 1305/15/2012

Is the state of Arizona full of retards? Why do they have this mean ass bitch for governor?

by Anonymousreply 1405/15/2012

Hopefully she will continue to anger a lot of voters in Arizona between now and November with more actions like this. The angrier voters in Arizona become at the Republicans, the more likely Obama has a shot at making Arizona close in the General Election.

by Anonymousreply 1505/15/2012

Good god, the people in Arizona are breathtakingly stupid and ignorant. They are quickly taking the place of Texas and Florida as most widely loathed.

by Anonymousreply 1705/15/2012

What a hateful cunt. She is the Pete Wilson of the Arizona GOP. I can't wait for 10 to 20 years down the line when these hateful old bigoted seniors die out and the GOP will burn, burn, burn into oblivion (like California).

by Anonymousreply 1805/15/2012

Rich people are rich because they so often neglect their bills, or bitch slap merchants to take pennies on the dollar of their bills.

Poor people are not given that option.

by Anonymousreply 2005/15/2012

I thought in addition to one son in an asylum, she had another who committed suicide.

by Anonymousreply 2105/15/2012

Totally preempted by the FDCPA. Another unconstitutional AZ law. What a fucking surprise.

by Anonymousreply 2205/15/2012

Since we can't trust our government to be fair, I think we should just take the law into our own hands. We know who the bad guys are, they should be dead. We can always say, they came into our neighborhood, wearing a hoodie. It works in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 2305/15/2012

[quote]Why don't people pay their debts?

Why do taxpayers have to bail out banks that pay their top execs multi-million dollar bonuses in spite of their failure?

by Anonymousreply 2405/15/2012

She is a monster. Are all the people who live in Arizona monsters? Why would they elect her? They must approve of monsters.

by Anonymousreply 2505/15/2012

I thought in addition to one son in an asylum, she had another who committed suicide.

My error: The son in the asylum is there as the result of the 1989 rape of a Phoenix woman. The other son died of cancer in 2007. My apologies.

by Anonymousreply 2605/15/2012

I live in Arizona...born here...and it's increasingly regrettable.

The state has many good people, of course, but there is a huge bloc of conservative, religious and racist crazies who've mostly come from out of state. We're up to our ears in them in the northern part if the state.

The thug-like GOP wants it known far and wide that it leans on minorities, the poor, the liberal, the queer...and it results in 'self-deportation' of those undesirables and an open door policy for their fellow crazies. Joe Arpaio! I rest my case.

Jan also signed a bill increasing the statute of limitations on old debt to 6 years, which reactivated collection activity on an old account of mine...and disqualified single males from AHCCCS, which resulted in me losing medical care. She will be responsible for the deaths of some, but it's clearly collateral damage in this dark social experiment of hers.

by Anonymousreply 2705/15/2012

Anyone ever got a call from PORTFOLIO RECOVERY AGENCY? I have no debt, and these assholes keep calling and hanging up. I never pick up the phone (agency's name appears on my Caller ID), but it bothers me that I get phone calls at all.

You can't block them, because they have gazillion numbers. I did some research on line; they're possibly fishing for people's personal info, even if you do not have any past debts. What can I do to stop them from calling me?

by Anonymousreply 2812/09/2012

That old witch should be boiled in oil.

by Anonymousreply 2912/09/2012

R28, I think those are the people who started calling me after my Dad died to collect on a debt that went back at least 15 years. I told them I didn't handle the estate and then they started using a recording to call me every few days. It's real long message so it's hard to erase from your answering machine. It went on for about 2 years before they lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 3012/09/2012

Too bad federal regulates this.

by Anonymousreply 3112/09/2012

Don't you love how people automatically assume anyone who is in debt is some horrible stereotype of a lazy person who just spends money like water?

In their world, it's OK when billionaires gamble with other people's money because the American taxpayer ends up paying for their irresponsible behavior, but don't you dare be a hardworking person who suddenly loses their job or gets cancer and ends up in debt because that's "your fault."

by Anonymousreply 3212/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!