Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mitt Romney in 1966 protesting in support of the Vietnam War draft

And then he dodged the draft and went to France to hide out for several years while thousands of other guys were sent overseas to their deaths.

Good guy to be Commander-in-Chief, right?

by Anonymousreply 2110/10/2012

Wasn't his dad against the war.

On August 31, 1967, in a taped interview with talk show host Lou Gordon of WKBD-TV in Detroit, Romney stated: "When I came back from Viet Nam [in November 1965], I'd just had the greatest brainwashing that anybody can get." He then shifted to opposing the war: "I no longer believe that it was necessary for us to get involved in South Vietnam to stop Communist aggression in Southeast Asia." Decrying the "tragic" conflict, he urged "a sound peace in South Vietnam at an early time." Thus Romney disavowed the war and reversed himself from his earlier stated belief that the war was "morally right and necessary".

by Anonymousreply 105/14/2012

He has BDF in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 205/14/2012

Unlike the son, the father was genuine in his reversal on the subject of the war. It was also his undoing.

The father was accused of "flip flopping" (sound familiar?)and the Rethugs were all over him. On balance, the father would be a blue dog Democrat today. How did Nixon win in 1968? Well, Romney made himself look bad, which was to Nixon's advantage. Then Rockefeller waited too long to get into the race. Reagan also delayed entering, and Nixon cleaned up. Remember that there were moderates who trusted Nixon, and conservatives who actually thought the maybe that governor from California was a bit too lightweight.

Of course no one will bring up Romney avoiding the draft. Pleae, lol. Did you think there was a "liberal" media to do it?

by Anonymousreply 305/14/2012

R3, the issue IS going to be brought up, and it already has been, although you may be right that it won't appear often on CNN, ABC, CBS etc.

But it has already been talked about on MSNBC by Rachel Maddow, and it has appeared on The Huffington Post.

I'm also glad we have the internet because many people are searching for things like "Mitt Romney draft dodger" in Google.

by Anonymousreply 405/14/2012

He's worse than Adolf Hitler and Satan combined.

by Anonymousreply 505/14/2012

Not quite. R5, but apparently he has done everything but tie Little Nell to the railroad tracks. Everything we learn about him is despicable.

by Anonymousreply 605/14/2012

Dodged the draft for a ""mission" in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 705/14/2012

His Wiki page claims that after returning to the U.S. he got a high lottery number and thus wasn't drafted.

by Anonymousreply 805/14/2012

We'll need more evidence than his "Wiki page", R8.

by Anonymousreply 905/14/2012

When Romney was asked in 2008 why none of his five sons had served in the military, he responded by saying "there were many ways to serve your country...and that they were serving the country by driving him around on his campaign for the presidency."

Yes, that's what he said. Another Romney douchebag moment.

by Anonymousreply 1005/14/2012

There were a lot of people who simply weren't drafted without doing any dodge at all. I was one. I wonder if his "mission" has some sort of deferral status. Never heard of it if it did. Otherwise he was 1A and prime like the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 1105/14/2012

Was Bill Clinton pro-Vietnam War? Was he out encouraging people to go to Vietnam?

Was he over in France for several years during the War?

Was he the son of a Governor?

by Anonymousreply 1305/14/2012

I'm not an American, so I don't have a stake in the outcome of the election. But I have noticed that the Wall Street Journal, which leads the anti-Obama crusade for the establishment, has been very quiet about Romney. I would have expected them to be running a lot more about him, which I would read just to get some balance. But they have stayed remarkably silent about the Republican candidate, and the man who they would want to beat Obama.

by Anonymousreply 1405/14/2012

I did say "claim," R9. Birth certificates are kept, but are Selective Service records from that era?

by Anonymousreply 1505/14/2012

R15, it still doesn't explain why he just happened to be in FRANCE for several years during the War, and why he didn't VOLUNTARILY enlist if he was so much in favor of the War.

by Anonymousreply 1605/14/2012

So what do you think it means, R14?

by Anonymousreply 1705/14/2012

Isabel Sanford was against the Vietnam War.

by Anonymousreply 1805/14/2012

I'm not remotely pro Romney, but why all of a sudden this stuff about him is coming out now? Why didn't this negative stuff come out when he ran for Governor in the very liberal state of Massachusetts by his opponent at that time? To me this would be loaded AMO if it is true. All these so called, "revelations" that are coming out by the various outlets of the media by the day, is very questionable.BTW, France was the remotest place for an American would want to be during the late 60's.

My dad immigrated to the United States in the 50's by himself when he was just a kid. He loved, and still loves, the United States immensely.In the late 60's he had to travel for a short time to Europe, and one of the countries he had to go to was France. My father has famliy all over Europe ,and he has some relatives in Paris. He came across a huge crowd of protestors in Paris who were protesting America being in Vietnam. He said they were extremely vile, and they were expressing how shitty American was and American people. My dad was 100% against the Vietnam War, but my dad was floored that the French were spewing venom about America when America had to bale the French out of Vietnam. My dad went up to the protestors and confronted them speaking up how America was in a state of a social upheaval ,and thousands of men and women were dying in the war because France couldn't handle their own mess!

by Anonymousreply 1905/14/2012

I think it means that the Republican establishment are not terribly excited by Romney's cammpaign. Either they don't like him, or they simply figure he has no way of beating Obama. They will take him if he wins, but they are not seeing as 'their guy'.

by Anonymousreply 2005/14/2012

Yes, as with most war mongering presdential candidates, he dodged the Vietnam War, but like both Chaney(who had 6 deferements to avoid serving his country in the time of need, and Bush ( who had no overseas duty posted in his military records) he can't wait to ask other young americans to risk their lives by serving in the military in other wasted wars. He's some choice isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 2110/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!