Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Things to do in Denver when you're gay...

...and a history buff.

I'm taking a road trip to Denver for Memorial Day to see the play "Red" at the Curious Theatre (see link; one of the actors is Ben Bonenfant, who was so terrific as the gay hustler in the movie "Strapped").

Haven't been to Denver since I was kid. I won't have much time there -- arrive probably Friday afternoon and leave Sunday. So what's there to do? What gay bars/clubs are good for 40-something slightly-bearish dudes? I love history -- is there a good history museum?

TIA

by Anonymousreply 4610/19/2013

The Wrangler is the bear bar in town and sometimes they have wet underwear night. If you like country music, Charlies is always happening too.

The new History Colorado Center just opened and it is supposed to be magnificent.

by Anonymousreply 105/13/2012

Is the character of Ken in "Red" supposed to be gay? When I saw the production in DC, he was played by a gay actor; which seems to be the case for the Denver production too (not the same actor either....and the jury's still out on Eddie Redmayne).

Anyway, Denver is a fun town, but it doesn't seem particularly gay.

by Anonymousreply 205/13/2012

Great places to hang out for meals in Uptown area ....Olivea, Steubens, Park & Co, D Bar ...lots of great places in town to hang out

Take a walk in Wash Park. Botanic Garden is nice. Shoppong in Cherry Crek North.

History Colorado is getting great press. New Clyfford Still museum is pretty interesting.

by Anonymousreply 305/13/2012

Forgot to mention ...if you have time on Saturday afternoon ....drive up to the Georgetown Loop train.

Also, in the city - Molly Brown House ....and stop for a drink in the Brown Palace lobby ...

by Anonymousreply 405/13/2012

The Brown Palace hosts a pretty wild party called "Scat/Freaks" the evening of every 3rd Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 505/13/2012

R5 is full of shit, no pun intended. The Brown Palace is one of poshest hotels in the country. They do not host shit parties.

The Museum of Natural History is a must-see on your itinerary.

by Anonymousreply 605/13/2012

LMAO...it was a crude joke. The Brown Palace is actually pretty swank. I've only seen it...en route to staying at the Crown Plaza :*( --never been inside though. I love Denver and travel there frequently, but sadly I've never really spent much time enjoying the sites. I might be going TDY there for a couple of months so hopefully that'll change.

by Anonymousreply 705/13/2012

r2, although Ben Bonenfant played a gay character in "Strapped," he's apparently straight -- his Facebook account has pics of him and his girlfriend; the Facebook profile of "Strapped" director Joseph Graham also has pics of Bonenfant with his girlfriend.

So, I really got to hand it to Bonenfant -- his performance in "Strapped" was incredibly convincing and effective.

Thanks for the suggestions; I definitely am intrigued by the History Colorado Center and as a Titanic buff, I guess the Molly Brown house is on the itinerary.

According to Google maps, the hotel I'm staying at is close to 2 gay bars, Broadways and Moe's. Either any good?

by Anonymousreply 805/14/2012

If you like history, Moe's is great. It's full of dinosaurs.

by Anonymousreply 905/14/2012

I'm shocked no one has mentioned the underground compound at the airport.

by Anonymousreply 1005/14/2012

R10, don't you dare mention the alternate capital in a public setting! What if Uncle Fritz hears!

by Anonymousreply 1105/14/2012

[quote]I'm shocked no one has mentioned the underground compound at the airport.

Don't worry, if OP is gay he'll see that soon enough. Maybe 2013, 2014 at the latest.

Say, here's a fun fact since OP is a history buff. Did you know that the very first settlers in what later became Denver were the S. M. Rooker family—a Mormon family from Utah. That was way back in 1848!

by Anonymousreply 1205/14/2012

Denver is very dull. Head up to Boulder where the boys are.

by Anonymousreply 1305/14/2012

I'm afraid I don't have the time, r13. I'm driving up from Dallas -- around 13/14 hours.

by Anonymousreply 1405/14/2012

Don't go to Charlie's. The lesbians took it over after they closed Her Bar.

For coffee go to the Daz Bog on 9th & Downing. Gay central and the coffee beats the hell out of Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 1505/14/2012

Daz Bog is a fun place to meet, but the coffee is really bad. Like Folgers bad.

by Anonymousreply 1605/14/2012

This Bonenfant sounds like a good kid.

by Anonymousreply 1705/14/2012

The No. 1 tourist attraction is the Mint. God knows why.

by Anonymousreply 1805/15/2012

There is the Molly Brown House, Buffalo Bill's Grave, the Coors Brewery in Golden....

by Anonymousreply 1905/15/2012

Red Rocks Amphitheater. LMFAO is playing on Memorial Day. It has a truly spectacular setting.

by Anonymousreply 2005/15/2012

Wrangler has a website

by Anonymousreply 2105/15/2012

Capitol Hill is the gayborhood.

by Anonymousreply 2205/15/2012

Watch the rock climbing hotties in Eldorado Canyon

by Anonymousreply 2305/15/2012

Get BanjoBilly to give you a JonBenet Ramsey tour of Boulder

by Anonymousreply 2405/15/2012

Example

by Anonymousreply 2505/15/2012

The Wrangler has Beer Bust on Sunday from 4 - 8 that's pretty rockin'.

by Anonymousreply 2605/15/2012

I have arrived. Have to leave Sunday, so the Beer Bust isn't an option. I hope Friday is a good night for Wrangler.

by Anonymousreply 2705/25/2012

Gay cruising at Cheeseman Park (AYOR of course)

by Anonymousreply 2805/25/2012

Pickings seem a little slender this weekend, unless this floats your boat

by Anonymousreply 2905/25/2012

The Midtowne Spa (batthhouse) has some kind of party going on this weekend but you will apparently miss Twink Night

by Anonymousreply 3005/25/2012

Admittedly, I'm torn between Midtowne and Wrangler. Decisions, decisions.

by Anonymousreply 3105/25/2012

Opted for Wrangler. VERY underwhelming. Ended up getting a late dinner at Steuben's and heading back to the hotel.

by Anonymousreply 3205/26/2012

OP, how long are you in Denver?

by Anonymousreply 3305/26/2012

Leaving tomorrow, r33. Debating whether to go the History Colorado Center, or drive up into the mountains, away from all the people. Just as long as I'm back in time for the play tonight at 8.

by Anonymousreply 3405/26/2012

I live in Denver, R34. I love museums but I think the HCC will probably be a zoo this weekend. I'd drive up in the mountains, maybe Mt. Evans. You can go all the way to the top there. Just google and check to make sure the road is open. I think it is by now.

The Denver Botanical Garden is nice if you want a local attraction. Also you might want to check out the Black Crown Lounge on South Broadway -- a bar set in an antique store. It always seems to have a nice crowd.

by Anonymousreply 3505/26/2012

Thank you, r35, I just checked online and Mt. Evans opened yesterday...I don't know if that means there will be lots of cars or not, but I'm going to do it!

by Anonymousreply 3605/26/2012

Oh gosh R36, I should have told you to bring a sweater. It is really cold up top! Hope you have a great time!

by Anonymousreply 3705/26/2012

Driving from Denver out to the mountains on a holiday weekend! You must love sitting in traffic because it will be bumper to bumper all the way. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 3805/26/2012

Am an average, plainspoken, unassuming kind of guy. My ass still feels worn out after visiting that Wrangler place. Those mountain men seem to have nothing better to do than cream up my bunghole.

by Anonymousreply 3905/26/2012

r35, yes, it was cold (about 40 degrees) and the wind was blowing so hard that I could barely get the car door open. But it was breathtaking! Thank you for the suggestion!

r38, it wasn't bad at all on the roads. In fact, I pulled off to get something to drink and my GPS re-routed me away from the interstate onto Old Squaw Pass Road, which was equally breathtaking.

by Anonymousreply 4005/26/2012

The Brown Palace staff historian does a Saturday tour that's great if you like history, old hotels or both. They take you into the presidential suites, etc. and even down into the kitchens, and they tell stories on famous guests (Prince trashed every surface in his suite with dozens of dripping candles, stuff like that.) It's free for guests and 10. for others, reservation required.

by Anonymousreply 4105/26/2012

Well you should have posted that yesterday numbnuts.

by Anonymousreply 4205/26/2012

That wasn't me at r42!

by Anonymousreply 4305/26/2012

Just got back from the play. EXCELLENT. If "Red" is playing in your area soon, definitely go to see it (it continues at the Curious Theater in Denver through June 16). The two actors had a meet and greet afterward, so I was able to speak to Ben Bonenfant, told him I'd driven up from Texas and had seen his movie "Strapped." He was very flattered and humbled. It must be true that film/TV adds pounds, or he lost weight for this role, since he appeared much more slender and slight than he did in the film, and is actually much more handsome in person. Hopefully, I can say I saw him before he became famous.

by Anonymousreply 4405/27/2012

The gay scene in Denver was the worst of any major US city. Horrible. 100% white, mainly pasty middle-aged men. No diversity from what I saw.

by Anonymousreply 4510/19/2013

Just work the glory hole at the interstate truck stop outside of Denver, OP. You'll fit right in..pun intended

by Anonymousreply 4610/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.