Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Adam Lambert's new gay anthem--gorgeous!

Outlaws of Love, from his new album, Trespassing, out next week.

The album is getting great reviews so far. Four stars from Rolling Stone. So happy for him.

by Anonymousreply 18905/25/2013

Honey, you really need to learn the difference between an "anthem" and an over-sentimental soft rock ballad.

by Anonymousreply 105/11/2012

Why would a straight guy be writing a gay anthem?

by Anonymousreply 205/11/2012

[r1] Get over yourself. Anthem can also mean a song that has a theme.

by Anonymousreply 305/11/2012

I love his voice. Always have. He takes a mediocre song and lifts it into something better.

by Anonymousreply 405/11/2012

I don't like his music.

by Anonymousreply 505/11/2012

Ahem, prisspot @ R1.

by Anonymousreply 605/11/2012

I honestly don't understand the piling on of Adam Lambert by the gay community. And I also honestly don't understand why it's okay for writers in the mainstream press to insult him because of sexual orientation, a la this review by Melissa Maerz in Entertainment Weekly?

"Adam Lambert might be the only American Idol alum who considers purple eyeliner a daytime look. So it's hard to understand why it took him so long to make his big gay dance-club album. Even after he came out in 2009, the eighth-season runner-up didn't stop flirting with the straight crowd, indulging in classic-rock guitars and gender-neutral pronouns on his debut, For Your Entertainment. But on Trespassing, he's left the closet far behind — defending gay marriage ("Outlaws of Love") and celebrating what happens when two consenting adults love each other enough to share their safe words ("Chokehold"). He's also officially coming out as a superfan of funk, '80s-night house, and Studio 54 grooves, tapping Chic's Nile Rodgers to produce, along with Pharrell Williams and Dr. Luke. Thanks to these pop vets, Trespassing's first half is a study in fabulosity: "Kickin' In" is stripper-heel disco at its finest, and the rousing "Shady" plants its freak flag in the uncharted territory between Nine Inch Nails and Michael Jackson. Too bad the ballad-heavy second half is so laughably over-the-top. By the end, our hero is wailing about fallen Towers of Babel and ripping away his flesh and bone to a "red river of screams." Cheer up, Glammy. It's nothing a little makeup remover can't fix. B-

"Big gay dance club album"? The ballads in the second half are about the difficulties of being gay. One song in particular features the lyrics, "Everybody wants to talk about a freak. No one wants to dig that deep. Let me take you underneath." To that, the writer says "Cheer up, Glammy. It's nothing a little makeup remover can't fix."

The hell?

The gay slurs notwithstanding, there are also at least five factual errors in the article.

by Anonymousreply 705/11/2012

Meh.

by Anonymousreply 805/11/2012

He's the perfect example of gay stereotype that we can do without

Add that to the pathetic immature behaviour he's displayed for all to see and surely, you can understand why we don't care for him

He's a talent though and i wish him all the best but he has to start putting out good music and growing up.

by Anonymousreply 905/11/2012

I don't care much for his music, but I'm happy to hear a song going to radio that has real instruments on it. Almost everything these days is programmed. And those even sounded like real drums, which are unheard of in this age of drum machines.

by Anonymousreply 1005/11/2012

I didn't like the CD at first but the more I play it the more I love it. And I don't understand the hate for Adam on this site. He seems like a good guy with a great voice.

by Anonymousreply 1105/11/2012

I heard a couple of the dance tracks and thought they were really good. I'll probably download the CD. I liked his first one alot.

by Anonymousreply 1205/11/2012

Can't he just fuck some fraus to get his cd to sell?

by Anonymousreply 1305/11/2012

Yes [r13] that will do it.

by Anonymousreply 1405/11/2012

Love "Shady" (with Sam Sparrow). It should be the next single. They really don't pick the best ones to be singles though IMO.

by Anonymousreply 1505/11/2012

[quote]The gay slurs notwithstanding, there are also at least five factual errors in the article.

First of all, you need to loosen your girdle. EW is one of the most gay-friendly magazines around and has been its entire run.

Second, it's not an "article" it's a review.

Third, what are these five factual errors? I'm already going to guess that you don't undertand the meaning of the word "factual."

by Anonymousreply 1605/11/2012

"Shady" sure sounds like George Michael (and that's a good thing by me...)

And I second this question: "Third, what are these five factual errors? I'm already going to guess that you don't undertand the meaning of the word "factual."

"

by Anonymousreply 1705/11/2012

I love adam, but you can't "release" a gay anthem. An Anthem has to be claimed, adopted and nurtured over a period of time, and take on it's own life.

by Anonymousreply 1805/11/2012

I like looking at Adam when he's sans makeup. He such a good looking male. I'm too old to understand the makeup thing, but if it makes him happy, then I'm for it too.

But, Adam is one handsome tall man.

by Anonymousreply 1905/11/2012

Broken English

by Anonymousreply 2005/11/2012

Can't stand him. He and Rufus Wainwright are shitstains.

by Anonymousreply 2105/11/2012

So what out gay entertainers do you respect, R21? Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 2205/11/2012

I like Adam for his talent alone. I don't watch or read his interviews, I don't keep up with all the news on him but I think his music is glorious. I couldn't get enough of his last album especially "Broken Open" and "Soaked".

by Anonymousreply 2305/11/2012

I love Adam, but he is never without make-up. Were he so, he would have reddish-blonde eyelashes and eyebrows! (Nit-pickers will argue the point and say "dyed".)

Don't get the music criticism, though. His new CD is as au courant as it gets.

And EW itself might be "gay-friendly," but the dame who wrote that "review" isn't evidence. It's like she used a Gay-Cliche Thesaurus.

On his first CD, Adam sang "There he goes, my baby walks so slow."

Whataya want from him?

by Anonymousreply 2405/11/2012

It is a glorious voice and he is a glorious artist, imo.

by Anonymousreply 2505/11/2012

I like Neil Patrick Harris, Cheyenne Jackson, Ellen and Rosie, and several others. I DON'T like pretentious poseurs who think they are pushing some sort of "gay envelope." "Gender bending" dorks who couldn't even shine David Bowie's glitter rock heels. They are embarrassing themselves. And their caterwalling makes my ears bleed.

by Anonymousreply 2605/11/2012

That's not his image, R26.

I think it's time for your nap, Grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 2705/11/2012

I have never understood those who think that he howls or screams. I have never heard that in his sound. But to each his/her own.

by Anonymousreply 2805/11/2012

Not to put down a family member, but that song can't be any anthem because it is barely a melody. Anthems have to be easy to sing by solo without any background instruments.

Think "row row row your boat" and and you will get the easy to sing without any instruments melody.

Adam is a good guy but his music quality sucks eggs.

by Anonymousreply 2905/11/2012

1. Adam came out in 2000, not in 2009.

2. "Chokehold" is about a dysfunctional relationship (emotional chokeholds), not about safe words in BSDM.

3. Nile Rogers performed on"Shady." He didn't produce it.

4."Flirting with the straight crowd" by "using gender-neutral pronouns": what's gender-neutral about "there he goes, my baby walks so slow", the opening lines to his song "Fever"?

5. In "Underneath," Adam does not sing about ripping his own flesh and bones, he is asking haters to "Strip away the flesh and bones. Look beyond the lies you've known."

6. "Outlaws of Love" is about forbidden love, not gay marriage.

Factual enough?, R16?

by Anonymousreply 3005/11/2012

Call me when he does a Show Tune Album.

by Anonymousreply 3105/11/2012

ow, this clever bit of marketing might have helped MDNA.

by Anonymousreply 3205/11/2012

And I wish he would go stop dyeing his hair black and go back to his natural reddish blonde.

by Anonymousreply 3305/11/2012

"I honestly don't understand the piling on of Adam Lambert by the gay community."

LOL. Give me a break. Not liking his music is hardly "piling on".

Try going on a Rosie thread here and then get back to me about gays ripping one of our own to shreds.

by Anonymousreply 3405/11/2012

"I love adam, but you can't "release" a gay anthem. An Anthem has to be claimed, adopted and nurtured over a period of time, and take on it's own life."

It's a gay anthem if I say it's a fucking gay anthem! And you will like it!!!

by Anonymousreply 3505/11/2012

Um, isn't this the 3rd single to be released?

And the CD isn't out yet?

by Anonymousreply 3605/11/2012

I want him to do well. I thought he handled himself very well on Idol.

by Anonymousreply 3705/11/2012

r36, Outlaws of Love isn't a single.

by Anonymousreply 3805/11/2012

No third single has been announced yet.

by Anonymousreply 3905/11/2012

I have a feeling his new album will flop considering the two singles that have been released have both flopped. The first single only went to #76 and the second one didn't even chart.

by Anonymousreply 4005/11/2012

I just heard a sampler of all the tracks and the songs are terrible. I want to support him, but I'm not wasting money on shit.

by Anonymousreply 4105/11/2012

I'm listening to his album - soooo derivative. Sounds like George Michael's rejected songs.

by Anonymousreply 4205/11/2012

In a similar vein, whose songs are good right now? I'm asking for real -- who is out there writing and/or singing great songs?

by Anonymousreply 4305/11/2012

Muse

by Anonymousreply 4405/11/2012

Someone will rock out on this song and make it much better.

Outlaws have a harder edge than the mellow mewling of this version.

by Anonymousreply 4505/11/2012

[quote]1. Adam came out in 2000, not in 2009.

Bitch please. Maybe he was out in his personal life in 2000, but he didn't come out publicly until after "Idol" wrapped.

by Anonymousreply 4605/11/2012

The new album is fantastic and it gets glowing reviews too.

So deserving.

by Anonymousreply 4705/11/2012

r40, his second single hasn't been released to radio yet!!! It will be released at the enf od the month. He has a GMA performce coming and an Idol performance if it on the 17th. Why this uncontrollable need to put him down?

by Anonymousreply 4805/11/2012

R46, bitch please, yourself. Did you come out to any hiring managers while you were interviewing for jobs? Did you arrive at the office on your first day and announce to coworkers you were gay?

Yes? Good for you.

No? Shut up.

by Anonymousreply 4905/11/2012

Meh, He nds bttr mtrl. Cnt Dnce to it.

by Anonymousreply 5005/11/2012

His material is meh.

by Anonymousreply 5105/11/2012

It sucks ass. And not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 5205/11/2012

As long as we continue to eat our own, the big guns will never come out.

by Anonymousreply 5305/11/2012

Adam Lambert can be cheezy, corny, too TOO for his own sake. I wish he had better taste in music. He pushes things too far. Sometimes he looks like Liza Minelli.

But I still am a huge fan. It's the voice. Amazing fucking voice. I don't know how many times I've listened to Broken Open or Sleepwalker and still get a thrill every single time from those notes he hits. No one else sings like Adam. Maybe not every one can appreciate the power and range of his voice - maybe it just doesn't appeal - but those of us who get it are hooked. And I never understand people who say he's a screamer. If that's screaming it's pretty damn well modulated and pitch perfect.

His live performances are amazing and I think this is why Lambert engenders such devotion. He's a showman pure and simple. A born entertainer to pile on the cliches. And if you haven't seen him live you're not getting the true him. His albums are overproduced and kinda tacky. Unleash him on a stage to burst out, play and improvise and it's a stunning experience.

Plus. He's fucking good looking when he isn't dressing funny or growing beards. He's well-spoken, charitable, laughs at himself in interviews, is kind to whacko fans, not a diva yet and UNASHAMEDLY OUT. WTF do people want?

by Anonymousreply 5405/12/2012

He's nicely built and very handsome. I hope the make-up isn't a precursor to Adam becoming an Eve. He's a really damn good looking up close, and that's a rarity with most entertainers. I hope the lad is working out too.

by Anonymousreply 5505/12/2012

R49, I've never been closeted in any job situation. And, yes, it's on my resume, via membership in an LGBT group specific to my field of work.

The point is, pre-fame Adam Lambert may have been out to everyone in his life, and he probably was. But once Adam Lambert became famous to the public at large, he did not officially come out and publicly affirm that he was gay until after "Idol" wrapped.

That you can't see the distinction suggests you can't understand normal thinking.

by Anonymousreply 5605/12/2012

[quote]He's nicely built

You're confusing nicely built with pudgy. Even he knows this, which is why he's almost always wearing long sleeves and jackets.

by Anonymousreply 5705/12/2012

So fucking what r56? They never would have given him a chance had he said "I'm gay!!!" while on the show. I do have to say, he also never denied being gay, not even when his pictures kissing his boyfriend came out a few weeks after the start of the show. That's more than most would do. Funny you should criticize him for it when so many gay actors and singers either never came out or only came out after decades of being in the closet and only after they had many millions of dollars in the bank or when they wanted a comeback.

He came out a very short time after the end of idol, before starting a career and risked having all his dreams and big break go down the drain. So please, drop that petty argument.

Radio has been giving him hell these past three years. He's managed to almost reach platinum with his first album in spite of it but had they played him like they do with all the losers in music today, he would have been double platinum easy.

Don't say he hasn't paid for his candidness because he's shown more balls and more integrity than 99% of the people in entertainment (or sports or politics).

by Anonymousreply 5805/12/2012

Go fuck yourself r59 whether you're some right wing piece of shit or just a troll trying to yank our chains.

by Anonymousreply 6005/12/2012

Good thing this album is a lot better than his last, because his last album got some really shitty reviews. A Norwegian newspaper said it was a huge mess, and gave it 2 out of 6. I agree.. it really was.. there was no running theme on the album.. just a bunch of songs put together, and the songs weren't even good. I only liked two songs on his last album, Whataya Want From Me and For Your Entertainment.

But anyway.. I know Adam has an amazing voice, so what bothers me the most about some of his songs is the amount of autotune he uses... I don't get it, like why would he use so much auto tune? I wish he would just use his voice more.. that's all.

by Anonymousreply 6105/12/2012

God, what a bunch of bitter, hissing queens.

by Anonymousreply 6205/12/2012

R58, I think you need to take a deep breath.

R46/R56 was taking issue with someone upthread calling this a factual error: [quote]1. Adam came out in 2000, not in 2009.

by Anonymousreply 6305/12/2012

AUTOTUNE, R61?

You are insane. Competely.

And also not a fan, or you would bother to go to a concert or two.

by Anonymousreply 6405/12/2012

It's too bad he hasn't had that huge hit. A huge #1 to surprise everyone while at the same time exclaiming without having to say it..

"F$&@ you all!"

by Anonymousreply 6505/12/2012

I went into the listening booth as a doubter but this song could well redefine the word gay for the next generation for we really are outlaws of love.

by Anonymousreply 6605/12/2012

Our gay pride parade is coming up next month and this song would make an ideal theme. I wonder if we could organize a brass band version in time for pride, or at least a glee club arrangement we can sing through megaphones.

by Anonymousreply 6705/12/2012

r65 in order to have a #1 hit radio needs to play you enough or at all, unless by some miracle, word of mouth pushes a song to sell millions of singles.

r61 obviously has no idea what autotune is.

by Anonymousreply 6805/12/2012

Ya. He'll be the next one dropped. Everyone knows it but his stans.

by Anonymousreply 6905/12/2012

[quote]in order to have a #1 hit radio needs to play you enough or at all, unless by some miracle, word of mouth pushes a song to sell millions of singles.

This is not true. Radio is really irrelevant these days. The Dixie Chicks song "Not Ready To Make Nice" went to #4 on sales alone with NO radio airplay. So it is possible to have a hit with no radio airplay.

by Anonymousreply 7005/12/2012

[quote]Ya. He'll be the next one dropped. Everyone knows it but his stans.

Yep. He'll be dropped just like the other 70% of people from Idol.

If he wanted people to stay interested, he should have changed his image with his second album. Instead it's the same old clown make up, rooster hair, and cheesy outfits as before.

by Anonymousreply 7105/12/2012

The Dixie Chicks were banned from Country Radio for speaking out against GW Bush. It was pure Country Music politics. Outside of Country Music such a thing would not have happened.

by Anonymousreply 7205/12/2012

r70 an anecdote here and there isn't a trend. It can work for established artists with a big fanbase but for new artists radio exposure is crucial.

LOL at all those waiting for him label to drop him. Keep waiting.

by Anonymousreply 7305/12/2012

Should be a done deal by Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 7405/12/2012

I really try to tell myself the Adam haters are just trolling repug hicks and not some twisted gay men who can't see an out, proud gay brother being successful but unfortunately, the hate towards him here started long before the right wing invasion.

by Anonymousreply 7505/12/2012

What the Fraus don't get is that we don't support some freak just because he's gay. Do the straights all love Sting? No. Eminem? No. Now get lost.

by Anonymousreply 7605/12/2012

I bought the first album the day it came out not because I think American Idol has been a good thing for the state of popular music in the country or because I particularly liked the guy, but I did it for all the supportive out gay man reasons. Listened to it twice and sold it back to the store the very next day. It's shit. And there was a TON of auto-tune on it.

Fool me once....

by Anonymousreply 7705/12/2012

[quote]he should have changed his image with his second album. Instead it's the same old clown make up, rooster hair, and cheesy outfits as before.

Link please?

He looks damn good (and normal) to me these days.

by Anonymousreply 7805/12/2012

He looks like hell.

by Anonymousreply 7905/12/2012

Omg sistah still fat.

by Anonymousreply 8005/12/2012

r76 not supporting him is one thing, trashing him in the ugliest ways is another.

by Anonymousreply 8105/12/2012

Hi bf is cute.

by Anonymousreply 8205/12/2012

Don't try to shove him up my ass and I won't react with horror.

by Anonymousreply 8305/12/2012

Did he get the bf at one of those Russian mail order bride places?

by Anonymousreply 8405/12/2012

[quote]the hate towards him here started long before the right wing invasion.

Instigated by a few fugly trolls he rejected back in his club days.

by Anonymousreply 8505/12/2012

You'd give your left nut to have him up your ass, R83.

by Anonymousreply 8605/12/2012

I loved him in Idol, so much so that I went and saw him on his solo tour.

His post-Idol music is pretty sad. I wish that wasn't the case, but it is.

by Anonymousreply 8705/12/2012

Guess all you rancid trolls know better than Brian May, huh?

by Anonymousreply 8805/12/2012

He's just a dancing queen throwback to the disco era. I'm way over it.

by Anonymousreply 8905/12/2012

R88, is he still alive?

by Anonymousreply 9005/12/2012

I really like both CDs - the first one and the new one. The new one is a great dance CD.

But when I heard Adam sing "Show Must Go On" with Queen, it left me in total awe of him. And I realized he really is a ROCK singer. This generation has no really great rock singers like Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, Freddie Mercury, etc. Adam really needs to make a rock CD. I can't wait to see him do full shows with Queen. I read Elton John is going to join them for one show. Ought to be amazing.

by Anonymousreply 9105/12/2012

I'm a huge Rock fan and Adam fan and Adam singing rock is the most incredible experience but the problem is rock radio won't give him the time of day! It's very difficult to gain acceptance into their club and a million times harder for an out gay man. He has enough of a nightmare with mainstream radio.

Maybe when he's much more successful and has a bigger fanbase he can do more rock and be successful without radio.

Just as an aside, live in concert everything he sings sounds way more rock oriented than pop, compared to the recordings.

by Anonymousreply 9205/12/2012

I'm an old fart and I've seen alot of great singers in concert but I have to say this kid is one of the most powerful male singers I've ever heard in person. I saw his last tour and that voice just amazed me even more than hearing him on TV.

by Anonymousreply 9305/12/2012

He really sucks. So fucking boring.

by Anonymousreply 9405/12/2012

Adam would sound great on a rock track like "Better" from Axl's last GNR album. The verses to this song are awesome, would love to hear Adam sing it. Skip the stupid intro to 0:27.

by Anonymousreply 9505/12/2012

r94, are you THAT lazy that you can't muster up a better insult than that?

by Anonymousreply 9605/13/2012

Gay Anthems:

Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Clang Clang Clang Went The Trolley

My Man

{Love Is Like A) Heatwave

Dancing In The Streets

You Don't Have To Say you Love Me

Breakfast In Bed

This Is My Life

Up The Ladder To The Roof

United We Stand

Midnight Love Affair

Dancing Queen

Macho Man

YMCA

Heaven Must Have Sent You

The Boss

Loving Is Really My Game

I Feel Love

Last Dance

We Are Family

The Rose

I'm Coming Out

It's Raining Men

So Many Men, So Little Time

You Think You're A Man

I Am What I Am

That's What Friends Are For

The Visitors

Love Shack

Groove Is In The Heart

Vogue

Pride (A Deeper Love)

In The Name Of Love

Finally

Nobody's Supposed To Be Here

If You Could Read My Mind

When Love Takes Over

Bad Romance

Born This Way

Do you think this song has the legs to stand with the above?

by Anonymousreply 9705/13/2012

Actually here's a more comprehensive list (I wasn't that far off on my own)

by Anonymousreply 9805/13/2012

Funny, no Country Music songs on that list.

(finger down throat)

by Anonymousreply 9905/13/2012

R98's link includes some extremely questionable choices. Come on, since when is "Hero" by Mariah Carey a gay anthem?

by Anonymousreply 10005/13/2012

Crazy! (twirling the hoop skirt while you sing it)

by Anonymousreply 10105/13/2012

He shtoll my look!

by Anonymousreply 10205/13/2012

R96, are you THAT lazy that you can't find better music to listen to?

by Anonymousreply 10305/13/2012

R97 How in the hell is Bad Romance a "gay anthem"?

by Anonymousreply 10405/13/2012

[quote] And it was unforgivable that this obviously flaming, acne-scarred, bottom prisspot did not come out while on Idol.

Oh, if he could "pass", it'd be acceptable?

by Anonymousreply 10605/13/2012

No, r103, my garage already has two cars in it.

by Anonymousreply 10705/13/2012

How brave you must be, r105!

Did you speak your honest-to-God mind in YOUR job interview(s)?

More to the point, did you have to reveal your sexual orientation then? What? Illegal question, you say?

APPARENTLY NOT, in Show-Business.

Hope you have "High Horse" insurance.

by Anonymousreply 10805/13/2012

r108 don't bother with him. He sounds like a complete psycho.

by Anonymousreply 10905/13/2012

We don't need him any more, we've got Clay.

by Anonymousreply 11005/13/2012

Separated at birth...

by Anonymousreply 11105/14/2012

Stunt Queen extraordinaire.

by Anonymousreply 11205/14/2012

Another great review from afterelton

by Anonymousreply 11305/14/2012

Tresspassing is #1 on ITunes today. Go Adam!

by Anonymousreply 11405/15/2012

Rolling Stone recently reviewed his new album & awarded it 4 stars....

And the new Beach House 3 & 1/2....

by Anonymousreply 11505/15/2012

The new album is gonna be a HUGE hit at Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 11605/15/2012

And...R116? What artist would be unhappy about selling millions of albums at WalMart?

by Anonymousreply 11705/15/2012

I haven't stopped listening to this CD all day. Great dance CD.

by Anonymousreply 11805/15/2012

The new album, Trespassing, is still holding the #1 spot on Itunes. #2 at Amazon and gunning for Adele.

by Anonymousreply 11905/17/2012

Christ, I am listening to this piece of shit on Spotify right now. That Outlaws of Love thing is just unlistenable.

by Anonymousreply 12005/17/2012

R120 I agree - I think it sounds like shit too. I wish him luck though.

by Anonymousreply 12105/17/2012

I refuse to listen. I hear it is worse that the first one and that nasal screaming was enough the first time around.

by Anonymousreply 12205/17/2012

It's a FANTASTIC album. It's also getting RAVE reviews everywhere.

Keep hatin' haters.

by Anonymousreply 12305/17/2012

Meh

by Anonymousreply 12405/17/2012

I gotta say it's a great CD. And the more I've listened to it, the more I like it.

Will watch him on Idol tonight. It's funny Lisa Marie Pressley is supposed to be on also. I always thought Adam resembled Elvis alot in certain pictures.

by Anonymousreply 12505/17/2012

I actually like Lisa Marie Presley's new album better. Her single "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" is actually really good. Better than Adam's screaming and wailing.

by Anonymousreply 12605/17/2012

R126 = Kris Allen

by Anonymousreply 12705/17/2012

R127 = Adam

by Anonymousreply 12805/17/2012

Adam is extraordinarily talented, a gifted singer and born entertainer. He should be topping the charts, and as much as I wish he were, he likely will never reach the level of popularity he deserves.

There is too much hatred out there for him. Straights hate him for being gay. Gays hate him for being too flamboyant, or for not announcing his orientation soon enough.

It takes a lot of courage to be out and proud. He deserves our support, not scorn.

There is a reason the closet is full of celebrities and politicians.

by Anonymousreply 12905/21/2012

Adam isn't the only out gay. You fraus need to be reminded.

by Anonymousreply 13005/21/2012

It was the closing hymn at transvestite graduation last Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 13105/21/2012

R129 There have been in the past musicians that were openly gay (or at the least not trying very hard to hide their sexuality) and they enjoyed success from both straight and gay audiences. Maybe Adam is not as talented as you'd like to think. Sure, he has a good voice, but I find his music is not very challenging. It sounds like a million other pop songs.

by Anonymousreply 13205/21/2012

Can you name some of those musicians?

by Anonymousreply 13305/21/2012

Adam was on an red eye flight to Chicago on Thursday night. The plane was almost fully loaded when he came in with a couple of others.

He was wearing a cap and glasses and what appeared to have a dark tan. He sat beside some friend or body guard in first class, a couple of seats behind me.

From what I saw, he was a gentleman on the flight and was thanked by the crew when we arrived in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 13405/21/2012

Can't stand his nasal whiney voice. Hate that he screams in every song. Hate his big white whale tongue always sticking out. Can't stand him.

by Anonymousreply 13505/22/2012

Still waiting for R130 to name all the "out" musicians who have had mainstream success.

by Anonymousreply 13605/22/2012

r135 only someone who hates can say he has a "nasal whiney voice".

by Anonymousreply 13705/22/2012

Adam Lambert is currently on track to debut at #1 on Billboard's album chart. If this happens, he'd be the first OPENLY gay artist to do so.

by Anonymousreply 13805/22/2012

R136 Geeeze are you that dense? Boy George comes to mind. It was never a secret what side of the plate Frankie Goes to Hollywood ate at. RuPaul. Anyone that can put two and two together knew what Morrissey's story was. The same goes for Freddie Mercury. Bronski Beat made it very clear. Tracey Chapman. KD Lang. And Im pretty sure a queen like you has heard of Sylvester.

by Anonymousreply 13905/22/2012

r139 you're full of shit. EVEN Boy George pretended at one point to be "bi-sexual". Freddie did the same. Freddie never said "I'm Gay" no matter how flaming you think he was.

BTW, almost all your examples are British, not American.

by Anonymousreply 14005/22/2012

R140 Boy George was out when the Crying Game was a hit. And so what if many of them are British? The original statement didn't specify British versus American. And since when is 5 out of 9 considered "almost all"?

You're just grasping at straws, and looking mighty foolish in the process.

by Anonymousreply 14105/22/2012

Good lord, I know it's a given that if BWW take your picture at a premiere you'll end up looking awful, but some of these take the cake. Julie Halston looks like a waxwork.

by Anonymousreply 14205/22/2012

R36, are you that dense? Boy George, Tracy Chapman, KD Lang, and Sylvester did not come out before starting their careers. Freddie never came out.

And by what standard is RuPaul considered a musician?

by Anonymousreply 14305/22/2012

R143 So now the goal post has been moved back. Instead of it being people that had success while being out, its people that had success and were out from day one? Well, using that logic, I guess I should remind you that Adam Lambert does not qualify as he wasnt out when he started his career.

The premise is Lambert is not a big hit because people are rejecting him for being gay, not because he really is not all that. This is bullshit. There are entertainers that have been successful with both and straight audiences and their being gay has not caused a problem for them. By the time KD Lang had a big cross-over hit, everyone and their mother knew she was gay. Same with Tracy Chapman. Tons of people bought their records and went to their shows knowing full well they are gay. Being known as gay has not hurt Elton Johns career, nor has it diminished the adoration of Freddy Mercury fans. If being gay and out kills one's career, how come Ellen is still on TV. Or Jane Lynch?

by Anonymousreply 14405/22/2012

Uh oh...I'm sensing this thread may harbor quite a few meltdowns along the lines of the infamous MDNA Madonna threads!!!

by Anonymousreply 14505/22/2012

Oh, and I never said RuPaul is a musician.

Before you go around asking if one is dense, you should brush up on your reading skills.

by Anonymousreply 14605/22/2012

r144 you really are dense.

Adam has been out since he was 18. On the show he never said he wasn't gay when faced with speculation and right out the gate after the show he declared his gayness before ever selling one cd.

KD and Tracy are 1)women 2)they were never any kind of sex symbols so it didn't matter.

All the other examples are laughable at best. Elton denied he was gay for DECADES to the point of marrying a woman, you ass!

Freddie NEVER admitted he was gay and I believe he even said a few times he was "bi".

Ellen is not a singer or an actress really (not to take anything from he courage and coming out). Also, she "came out" late in life.

JL is an actress and she's 51 years old. Don't know when she came out.

How much more ridiculous will you become trying to prove how "nothing special" Adam is???

by Anonymousreply 14705/22/2012

R147 Wow, you not only moved the goal posts back, you moved them right out of the stadium, down the street and left them in 7-11 parking lot. KD and Chapman dont count as out gay entertainers because they are women and not sexy enough? Really? Thats what you are going with?

Again, for like the I dont know how many times, it makes no difference when they came out or when it became known they are gay. The fact remains that those people that came out have not seen their careers or reputation damaged in any real way. (I make no distinction between musicians or other entertainers, never have. That classification is your invention, not mine) As far as Lambert being out the whole time. He came out the same way other entertainers who have long suspected of being gay came out. He gave an interview with a magazine and made it official. He was not out during his time on AI, which was the start of his career and the start of him being in the public eye.

I am not trying to prove that Adam is nothing special. What I am trying to show is the idea that his career has suffered because he is gay is a load of nonsense. Quite honestly, I cant help but wonder why someone would want to promote the idea that being out is career suicide. Not a very reaffirming message, is it?

by Anonymousreply 14805/22/2012

Adam will be performing at the Jersey Shore on Friday morning on WPLJ.

by Anonymousreply 14905/22/2012

r148 You misunderstand. What I meant about KD and Tracy is that they had less obstacles in their way because of the reasons I mentioned.

"It doesn't matter when they came out"??? The hell it doesn't! When so many actors/singer/athletes and such have a whole career, make truckloads of $$$ while being in the closet and come out only when they are middleaged or old/their career is gone it does matter because they didn't have careers as open gay people! They had careers while pretending to be straight or giving the impression they were and only came out when there was nothing to lose.

Adam was on idol for three freaking months! Not years, not decades and that's given as proof of what? That he pretended in order to gain something?

As for him suffering for his gayness, you have no idea what a hard time radio has been giving him these last few years. No idea....

by Anonymousreply 15005/22/2012

[quote]the idea that his career has suffered because he is gay is a load of nonsense

He lost Idol because of it. He wasn't officially out, but everyone knew he was gay, and there was a strong lobby of fundies who only voted for Kris Allen as a vote AGAINST Adam.

No straight man will be caught dead at one of Adam's concerts or buy his music. It's all women. I'd say, yes, being gay does affect his ability to succeed when so many people are too homophobic to even give him a chance.

by Anonymousreply 15105/22/2012

You want to hear what Adam Lambert is capable of? Only the finest version of the song I've ever heard...

by Anonymousreply 15205/22/2012

Here are two versions of Whole Lotta Love he did.

I really don't know how anybody can deny his incredible voice and his musical creativity.

by Anonymousreply 15305/22/2012

Re R151: The voting block is primarily tween and teen girls who are going to vote for the cute boys as was apparent last year when the Scotty Whatever won. Kris Allen was total girl bait and he won as a result. This is also why so few women have won in the past few years on the show.

by Anonymousreply 15405/22/2012

Adam singing WLL at Foxwoods

by Anonymousreply 15505/22/2012

[quote]What I meant about KD and Tracy is that they had less obstacles in their way because of the reasons I mentioned.

The reasons you mentioned were because they are women, and not really attractive ones at that. Being a woman not being considered sexy is NOT an obstacle? You're joking, right? Yea, tell that to Debora Iyall.

While I agree with much of what you are saying in your second paragraph, the fact remains that there are performers who are out, have been out a long time and people are still paying to see them preform. As far as the ones that come out when they have nothing to lose, Ellen had TONS to lose when she came out. Rosie had tons to lose when she came out. (but they dont really count because they are women and not really good looking and according to you, for unattractive women in the entertainment industry, the world is their oyster. Right?)

I dont know if Lambert was pretending to gain something or not. I dont know him and have no clue as to his motivations, but it is a fact that when he fist entered the public eye, he was not out. I do suspect he didnt come out while he was on AI because of pressure from the producers, not because of his own fears. If thats the case, then yes, once could say he did pretend to some extent in order to stay on the show.

You are right, I have no idea about the hard time radio has given Lambert because I dont listen to terrestrial radio.

Maybe this will help put things in perspective: my nephew is 14 and loves Queen and Freddie Mercury (and no, hes not gay. In fact, hes turning into a pussy hound) Any way, both he and his friends all admire Mercury's talent and the fact he was gay is meaningless to them. As far as they know, Mercury has always been gay. But it doesn't matter to them. The talent is what counts. They dont care that Adam Lambert is gay. But his music doesnt appeal to them. They dont dislike him because he's gay, they dislike him because...well...because they think his music is lame.

by Anonymousreply 15605/22/2012

What I meant about looks not mattering is that with the kind of music KD and Tracy make, it doesn't matter. Also, lesbians still seem to have it easier than gay men in this business. They are not perceived as "threatening".

It's nice to hear that your nephew likes great music. The fact that he doesn't care Adam's gay is great and encouraging but still doesn't represent the country as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 15705/22/2012

Today Adam Lambert became the first openly gay musician to debut at #1 on the US album chart!!

by Anonymousreply 15805/22/2012

idk why he gets so much hate, cuz you're not attracted to him and he's feminine? I hope he can find success.

by Anonymousreply 15905/22/2012

Adam made history today. Congrats baby:)

by Anonymousreply 16005/22/2012

Go Adam! Those radio stations can't ignore you now.

by Anonymousreply 16105/22/2012

It gets better. Well, unless you read DL. Then you feel like slitting your wrists.

by Anonymousreply 16205/22/2012

How the hell could he afford Pharrell and Dr Luke? Wasn't he a flop last time round? But fair play if he got to #1 this time I suppose.

And speaking of Dr Luke, someone should start a topic on him. There's like no info on him at all.

He's one of the most fascinating people in the biz - not just cause his good looks mean he shouldn't be behind the scenes, but also how noone knows anything about him, a true enigma.

I read that he had a wife and 4 kids or something, that bitch will be lucky in the pre-nup deal.

He has a laidback chilled hippy vibe in person, yet writes all these hedonistic teen party anthems. He's sure to burn out soon, but there's not many songs from him I've not liked.

by Anonymousreply 16305/28/2012

Elton John and Queen + Adam Lambert will be performing at an anti-AIDs show in Kiev on June. Some of the greats seem to like him.

by Anonymousreply 16406/07/2012

Neither Elton John, Queen or Adam Lambert have relevant careers in America.

by Anonymousreply 16506/08/2012

r163 HOW is he a "flop" after selling almost a million copies of his 1st album in the US and millions of singles, One Grammy nomination, and almost double platinum world wide, a sold out tour that was very successful and all that with very little radio play in the US because radio are being cunts just like you and some others here????

Not to mention being The First out gay male in the US to open at #1 on the Billboard 200 with his album?

Hundreds of great artists/singers/producers/songwriters in the music industry are his supporters, some of them are legends.

by Anonymousreply 16606/08/2012

#1 at 77k is Nothing to brag about. Runner up on idol, nominated but not a winner on Grammy, no hits on radio, falls off the chart like a dead weight, another flop album with 2 flop singles, and nothing on iTunes.

He's a loser.

by Anonymousreply 16706/08/2012

I am so sick of this fucking queen with all the eye makeup on....ugh.

by Anonymousreply 16806/08/2012

R166, everything you said applies to Taylor Hicks, except he may not be gay. Taylor is a certifiable flop.

by Anonymousreply 16906/08/2012

Everything he has achieved is in spite of the gay community and in spite of the homophobes out there.

Reactions like the ones here are proof of that and also proof why apparently so many gay artists stay closeted. They get shat upon when they do come out.

by Anonymousreply 17006/08/2012

R167, what did you get for that comment? Douche chills? Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 17106/08/2012

R170, listen to yourself. David Cook got dropped from his record label and is on the skids like Adam Lambert is.

Everything Cook has achieved is in spite of the straight community and in spite of the heterophobes out there.

We don't have to support some queen just because he's gay any more than the hets have to support Cook just because he's straight.

by Anonymousreply 17206/08/2012

"Everything he has achieved is in spite of the gay community."

Honey, the gay community helped get him to runner up status on AI. Don't be a thoughtless bitch. Wasn't the show accused of homophobia when he didn't win?

"They get shat upon when they do come out."

Aside from a few obvious trolls, most people here respect him as a person and as an out gay man. They just aren't fans of his music .

Maybe people like you shouldn't automatically equate that to homophobia. It tends to negate the outrage when you're screaming and carrying on over every single slight.

by Anonymousreply 17306/08/2012

I saw his Watch What Happens Live with Beth Ditto. As before, he impressed me with his poise and sense of humour.

I checked out his new music video... Didn't like it.

I want him to do well but if I don't like what he's selling...

by Anonymousreply 17406/08/2012

Good thing he doesn't need your support, R172. Gay men are irrelevant to the equation @ only 2% of the population.

Our impact is HUGE!

by Anonymousreply 17506/08/2012

I don't think he's much interested in eldergays as a fan base anyway.

by Anonymousreply 17606/08/2012

r169 A lot of those things don't apply to Taylor Hicks or most other "flops" from American Idol. Get real.

by Anonymousreply 17706/08/2012

R176 Because middle aged housewives are SO much better....

by Anonymousreply 17806/08/2012

[quote]Honey, the gay community helped get him to runner up status on AI

Please, don't make me laugh. The gay community/gay support was almost inconsequential in him getting to be runnerup and in everything he's achieved since (which is a lot no matter how many and how much people here try to belittle it). It was the legions of women who voted for him and became his fans who did almost all the work.

And yes, he didn't win because he's gay and because the conservatives and haters rallied behind Kris and basically voted "against the gay". The show itself wasn't accused of being homophobic because it isn't, their voting system is skewed and not only against gays.

by Anonymousreply 17906/08/2012

"And yes, he didn't win because he's gay"

That's an arrogant and presumptuous statement.

There was no denying that some were bound to vote against him because he was gay. But what hubris to say that everyone who didn't vote for Adam were all bigots. Or that they voted for Kris simply because they didn't want to let a gay man win.

In reality the guy got a lot of mileage out of appearing on the show. The cries of homophobia that circulated around that time were appalling, in that they could have been focused on cases of true hateful acts towards gays. Don't use it to mask sour grape feelings from fans who thought he was entitled to win. The man made it very far, you should have been celebrating, not pouting.

by Anonymousreply 18006/08/2012

Adam Lambert is a AWESOME artist IMO! Like or Loath him, people can't stop talking about him. Even without his music  been  heavily overplay on radio at the moment, he still managed to have a #1 second studio album on the Billboard album charts with Trespassing.  I think that in itself say a lot!

by Anonymousreply 18106/08/2012

r180 I never said that anyone who didn't vote for him was a homophobe. Maybe you weren't following at the time, hordes of people were calling for "vote against the gay" by voting for Kris. Of course they ditched him immediately after.

Yeah, I was pissed at the time but I actually think it's better for him that he ended up as runner up and not as the winner and I thought so soon after. That said, fact remains that had he not been gay or had he been deeply closeted, he would have won.

by Anonymousreply 18206/08/2012

"That said, fact remains that had he not been gay or had he been deeply closeted, he would have won."

You can't make statements like that, because you don't know. And you certainly can't say it's a fact.

Yes, I remember the bigots. But there were just as many people out there calling for Adam to win to simply counteract the bigots plan. In the end, no one knows how many voted for which reasons. And the guy made it to runner up. There should have been enough celebration for that. But to dump all over Kris Allen and go out of their way to shit all over his victory was tastleless and uncalled for. He was a huge supporter of Lambert and didn't deserve the nasty remarks he got from Lambert's fans.

I know people who were turned off by Lambert in large part because of the way his fans acted that season.

by Anonymousreply 18306/08/2012

Oh please, Adam got WAY more hate from Kris (and Gokey) fans than Kris ever got from Adam supporters and it continues to this day so please don't give me that "poor Kris, he's so hated" shit.

by Anonymousreply 18406/08/2012

The anti-fans were very obnoxious, whine & bitched about everything. Evev ZKatie Perry wearing his name on her back became a huge "scandal". The pro-adam fans were just kinda lost in giddy excitement because they were confident he'd win. It wasn't until he lost that some of them became more zealous. Adam lost AI because people voted against him, not for the winner Kris, whose career is barely eeking along.

by Anonymousreply 18506/09/2012

WEHT Adam Lambert?

Why wasn't he a bigger star?

by Anonymousreply 18605/25/2013

Wasn't his album a big underperformer that cost a lot of $$ to make? I know he had Dr. Luke do some tracks and that guy expects to get PAID. I think that "Dr. Luke" sound is losing popularity...Adam's CD flopped, Kesha's album flopped, etc.

by Anonymousreply 18705/25/2013

He has no appeal to the main stream, gays love him but no one else r186.

by Anonymousreply 18805/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.