Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mitt Romney: Teenage Gay Basher

Mitt Romney’s prep school classmates recall pranks, but also troubling incidents

By Jason Horowitz, Updated: Thursday, May 10, 8:02 AM

BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Mich. — Mitt Romney returned from a three-week spring break in 1965 to resume his studies as a high school senior at the prestigious Cranbrook School. Back on the handsome campus, studded with Tudor brick buildings and manicured fields, he spotted something he thought did not belong at a school where the boys wore ties and carried briefcases. John Lauber, a soft-spoken new student one year behind Romney, was perpetually teased for his nonconformity and presumed homosexuality. Now he was walking around the all-boys school with bleached-blond hair that draped over one eye, and Romney wasn’t having it.

“He can’t look like that. That’s wrong. Just look at him!” an incensed Romney told Matthew Friedemann, his close friend in the Stevens Hall dorm, according to Friedemann’s recollection. Mitt, the teenaged son of Michigan Gov. George Romney, kept complaining about Lauber’s look, Friedemann recalled.

A few days later, Friedemann entered Stevens Hall off the school’s collegiate quad to find Romney marching out of his own room ahead of a prep school posse shouting about their plan to cut Lauber’s hair. Friedemann followed them to a nearby room where they came upon Lauber, tackled him and pinned him to the ground. As Lauber, his eyes filling with tears, screamed for help, Romney repeatedly clipped his hair with a pair of scissors.

The incident was recalled similarly by five students, who gave their accounts independently of one another. Four of them — Friedemann, now a dentist; Phillip Maxwell, a lawyer; Thomas Buford, a retired prosecutor; and David Seed, a retired principal — spoke on the record. Another former student who witnessed the incident asked not to be named. The men have differing political affiliations, although they mostly lean Democratic. Buford volunteered for Barack Obama’s campaign in 2008. Seed, a registered independent, has served as a Republican county chairman in Michigan. All of them said that politics in no way colored their recollections.

“It happened very quickly, and to this day it troubles me,” said Buford, the school’s wrestling champion, who said he joined Romney in restraining Lauber. Buford subsequently apologized to Lauber, who was “terrified,” he said. “What a senseless, stupid, idiotic thing to do.”

“It was a hack job,” recalled Maxwell, a childhood friend of Romney who was in the dorm room when the incident occurred. “It was vicious.”

“He was just easy pickins,” said Friedemann, then the student prefect, or student authority leader of Stevens Hall, expressing remorse about his failure to stop it.

The incident transpired in a flash, and Friedemann said Romney then led his cheering schoolmates back to his bay-windowed room in Stevens Hall.

Friedemann, guilt ridden, made a point of not talking about it with his friend and waited to see what form of discipline would befall Romney at the famously strict institution. Nothing happened.

[more at link]

by Anonymousreply 54804/24/2013

Romney is now the presumed Republican presidential nominee. His campaign spokeswoman said the former Massachusetts governor has no recollection of the incident.

“Anyone who knows Mitt Romney knows that he doesn’t have a mean-spirited bone in his body,” Andrea Saul said in a statement. “The stories of fifty years ago seem exaggerated and off base and Governor Romney has no memory of participating in these incidents.”

Campaign officials denied a request for an interview with Romney. They also declined to comment further about his years at Cranbrook.

After the incident, Lauber seemed to disappear. He returned days later with his shortened hair back to its natural brown. He finished the year, but ultimately left the school before graduation — thrown out for smoking a cigarette.

Sometime in the mid-1990s, David Seed noticed a familiar face at the end of a bar at Chicago O’Hare International Airport.

“Hey, you’re John Lauber,” Seed recalled saying at the start of a brief conversation. Seed, also among those who witnessed the Romney-led incident, had gone on to a career as a teacher and principal. Now he had something to get off his chest.

“I’m sorry that I didn’t do more to help in the situation,” he said.

Lauber paused, then responded, “It was horrible.” He went on to explain how frightened he was during the incident, and acknowledged to Seed, “It’s something I have thought about a lot since then.”

Lauber died in 2004, according to his three sisters.

by Anonymousreply 105/10/2012

It says a lot about who Romney is at his core. If he had apologized to Lauber for the incident, I'd give him a pass. But the fact that he claims to not even remember it makes me think he's just a little bit of evil!

by Anonymousreply 205/10/2012

...even more of a douche than i had previously thought...

by Anonymousreply 305/10/2012

[quote]His campaign spokeswoman said the former Massachusetts governor has no recollection of the incident.

Dementia is another reason for not wanting him in the Oval Office.

by Anonymousreply 405/10/2012

Oh yeah, big surprise.

by Anonymousreply 505/10/2012

The campaign manager handled it poorly - 5 guys recall the incident and he "doesn't?"

Wonder what was the victim's cause of death in 2004.

by Anonymousreply 705/10/2012

I'm shocked, SHOCKED someone who pursued a career as a corporate raider was a bully in high school!

by Anonymousreply 805/10/2012

i loathe him.

by Anonymousreply 905/10/2012

I am not surprised, the man is less trustworthy than a used car salesman on a rolling vehicle carrier.

by Anonymousreply 1005/10/2012

Another reading: perhaps young Willard aspired to be a hairdresser and thought to save the young man from a poor style choice? No young man should emulate Edie Sedgwick

by Anonymousreply 1105/10/2012

Bully...he's toast.

by Anonymousreply 1205/10/2012

...i could have told you...

by Anonymousreply 1305/10/2012

The Romney campaign probably leaked to this media to shore up his popularity with gay bashing Americans.

by Anonymousreply 1405/10/2012

It's no big surprise that Mittens would have been a gay basher.

I'm glad that it's in the "Washington Post" so that every Pubbie in Congress knows that their candidate is a thug.

by Anonymousreply 1505/10/2012

AAARRRGH!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1805/10/2012

Uh, oh, you know what that means: closet case.

by Anonymousreply 1905/10/2012

He hasn't lost this notion of himself as the Moral Enforcer for the world.

by Anonymousreply 2005/10/2012

Nah. I think this means he's a douchebag, r19.

by Anonymousreply 2105/10/2012

Bad enough bullying the gay kids, but making a blind person walk into a glass door? Psychopathic behavior. I wonder how many animals he tortured.

by Anonymousreply 2205/10/2012

Shittens probably runs over squirrels and watches them die...power tripping.

by Anonymousreply 2305/10/2012

Sickening

by Anonymousreply 2405/10/2012

Ugh. That's really sad.

by Anonymousreply 2505/10/2012

An all round good guy, provided you are not weaker, poorer or less healthy than him.

by Anonymousreply 2605/10/2012

Forty years on, Mitt Romney accepted the school’s 2005 Distinguished Alumni Award.

A year earlier, John Joseph Lauber died at a Seattle hospital.

The boy few at Cranbrook knew or remember was born in Chicago, grew up in South Bend, Ind., and had a hard time fitting in. He liked to wander and “had a glorious sense of the absurd,” according to his sister Betsy. When the chance to get out of Indiana presented itself, he jumped at it, and enrolled at Cranbrook. He never uttered a word about Mitt Romney or the haircut incident to his sisters. After Cranbrook asked him to leave, he finished high school, attended the University of the Seven Seas for two semesters, then graduated in 1970 from Vanderbilt, where he majored in English.

He came out as gay to his family and close friends and led a vagabond life, taking dressage lessons in England and touring with the Royal Lipizzaner Stallion riders. After an extreme fit of temper in front of his mother and sister at home in South Bend, he checked into the Menninger Clinic psychiatric hospital in Topeka, Kan. Later he received his embalmer’s license, worked as a chef aboard big freighters and fishing trawlers, and cooked for civilian contractors during the war in Bosnia and then, a decade later, in Iraq. His hair thinned as he aged, and in the winter of 2004 he returned to Seattle, the closest thing he had to a base. He died there of liver cancer that December.

He kept his hair blond until he died, said his sister Chris. “He never stopped bleaching it.”

by Anonymousreply 2705/10/2012

I especially liked the part about lurking in the dark to spy on couples making out.

We all did bad things in high school but Mitt Romney sure sounds like a nasty, snobbish young man.

by Anonymousreply 2805/10/2012

This is the same guy who terrorized his dog, right?

by Anonymousreply 2905/10/2012

anyone who is not part of his social class is a joke to him....

he loves kicking the vulnerable.

by Anonymousreply 3005/10/2012

Hope more things Romnasty doesn't remember come out. (I find his face very strange, quite athwart)

by Anonymousreply 3105/10/2012

He may not remember the event because to him it was no big deal. Everyone else remembers because it haunted their consciences.

by Anonymousreply 3205/10/2012

So he ordered the use of force because he objected to a HAIRSTYLE?

Yeah, he'd make a good commander-in-chief.

by Anonymousreply 3305/10/2012

"liver cancer" was always a euphemism. Did he die of AIDS?

[quote]He may not remember the event because to him it was no big deal. Everyone else remembers because it haunted their consciences.

He has no conscience.

by Anonymousreply 3405/10/2012

He remembers, R32. He would deny it ever happened if there weren't at least five other people who remember it clearly.

He's just not man enough to acknowledge he did it.

by Anonymousreply 3505/10/2012

It is hard for me to read this.

I was mercilessly tortured in junior and senior high by ruthless and entitled snobs like Romney.

Every now and then, a vivd memory jumps out of no where and I break out in a cold sweat of fear for just a brief moment. You never can leave it behind.

by Anonymousreply 3605/10/2012

Romney was EIGHTEEN YEARS OLD WHEN HE DID THIS.

He was an adult.

He was born March 12, 1947 and this took place after spring break his senior year in 1965 per article.

So he wasn't some 13 year old.

by Anonymousreply 3705/10/2012

[quote]He finished the year, but ultimately left the school before graduation — thrown out for smoking a cigarette.

Since they'd have had to close the school if they threw out every teenage student who smoked a cigarette in 1965, I wonder if the school's displeasure with him wasn't more related to the administration's knowledge of the governor's son's antipathy for him and the resultant violent incident.

by Anonymousreply 3805/10/2012

Think about it. It's worse if he does not remember it. That suggests it was no big deal to him which means he has no conscience, he did this sort of thing all the time, or both.

by Anonymousreply 3905/10/2012

I'm shocked that a reputable place like Cranbrook would print student work with so many spelling errors. Romney didn't know how to spell "blatantly" or "limousine"? Terrible!

by Anonymousreply 4005/10/2012

He didn't break up with his girlfriend. He just stopped calling and started calling someone else.

by Anonymousreply 4105/10/2012

Mitt was 18 when he did this.

by Anonymousreply 4205/10/2012

Of course he remembers it.

by Anonymousreply 4305/10/2012

I think we can safely assume Lauber didn't have health insurance.

by Anonymousreply 4405/10/2012

I would think they haven't if he can't admit to doing it.

by Anonymousreply 4605/10/2012

Shit has hit the fan -- the Romney campaign just threw Mittens on Fox and Friends to offer an 'apology.' They know this is big.

by Anonymousreply 4705/10/2012

Not many people would forceably cut someone's hair just to impress their troglodyte friends, r45. The ones who do are not pranksters, they're bullies. The friends have apologized. Their ringleader hasn't, except for a mealy-mouthed PR statement.

People here are focusing on the gay-bashing and leaving out the incident where he led a blind teacher into a glass door. In my school, he'd be expelled for something so disrespectful and cruel.

How do you explain and dismiss that r45? Was the blind guy also not a white hetero christian? Apparently Willard was trained from a young age to think humiliation of defenseless human beings is fun.

by Anonymousreply 4805/10/2012

Kudos to the Washington Post for the timing of this. Perfect.

by Anonymousreply 4905/10/2012

Romney's just another white American bully. Bleh, blah, blaine.

by Anonymousreply 5205/10/2012

He was 18, R51 -- legally an adult.

And you think he's evolved? He's STILL bullying gay people -- threatening them with an anti-gay constitutional amendment? In some ways worse than the assault described in the news report.

by Anonymousreply 5305/10/2012

More Sharing ServicesShare Share on facebook_likeEmail 5 Comments Print Text Size-/+ By Dylan Stableford May 10, 2012

Mitt Romney has apologized for incidents described in a Washington Post story about his prep school years in Michigan.

"Back in high school I did some dumb things," Romney said in an interview on the Kilmeade and Friends talk show on Fox News radio Thursday. "And if anybody was hurt by that or offended by that I apologize." He added: "There is no question I became a very different person since then."

Romney emphasized that he had no idea the boy was gay. "I certainly don't believe that I thought the fellow was homosexual," said Romney in the radio interview. "That was the furthest thing from our minds back in the 1960s."Â

According to the Washington Post, which conducted interviews with the presidential candidate's former classmates at the Cranbrook School in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., Romney forcibly cut the "bleached-blond hair that draped over one eye" of a "soft-spoken" new kid because he felt the boy didn't belong. The story is a 5,400-word profile of Romney's formative years; the incident occurred in 1965.

"He can't look like that," an "incensed" Romney told one of his friends upon seeing John Lauber's hair, according to the friend's account. "That's wrong. Just look at him!"

A few days later in a dorm room, several other students pinned down Lauber--who was "perpetually teased for his nonconformity and presumed homosexuality"--while the presumptive Republican nominee "clipped his hair with a pair of scissors." A "terrified" Lauber was crying and screaming, according to the paper.

"It was a hack job," Phillip Maxwell, a student who witnessed the incident, told the Post. "It was vicious." Lauber died in 2004.

Romney also chided another student presumed to be gay, wrote the Post:

In an English class, Gary Hummel, who was a closeted gay student at the time, recalled that his efforts to speak out in class were punctuated with Romney shouting, "Atta girl!" In the culture of that time and place, that was not entirely out of the norm. Hummel recalled some teachers using similar language.

According to his campaign, Romney doesn't recall the incidents.

"Anyone who knows Mitt Romney knows that he doesn't have a mean-spirited bone in his body," Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul said in a statement to the Post. "The stories of fifty years ago seem exaggerated and off base and Governor Romney has no memory of participating in these incidents."

It's worth noting that the Romney campaign, itself, is notorious for its pranks.

On April 1, Romney's campaign staff scheduled a speech for the former Massachusetts governor in a completely empty room.

"I think they're much funnier when I do them on other people than when they do them on me," Romney later said of the prank, captured by a campaign staffer on video. "But this was very good. This was classic."

Eric Fehrnstrom, a senior adviser to the Romney campaign, recently told the Hill that Romney is a "closet prankster." When Romney was governor, a state trooper on his security detail "short-sheeted" the bed in his hotel room, Fehrnstrom said. Romney retaliated by composing a fake letter from the hotel that said the maid staff had been fired.

More popular Yahoo! News stories:

• Gay marriage: How Americans, like Obama, are 'evolving' on the issue

• North Carolina bans gay marriage, civil unions

• Marco Rubio reminds supporters he's still paying off student loans

Want more of our best political stories? Visit The Ticket or connect with us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or add us on Tumblr. Handy with a camera? Join our Election 2012 Flickr group to submit your photos of the campaign in action.

by Anonymousreply 5405/10/2012

There's a difference between 'stupid' and 'cruel', r45.

Stupid: drinking until you puke, posting naked pics of yourself, going on cam4, doing meth, wearing crocs.

Cruel: ganging up on the class fag and cutting off his hair, leading blind elders to smash into glass doors, tying dogs to the roof of cars so they shit then run away.

See the difference?

by Anonymousreply 5505/10/2012

[quote]He's STILL bullying gay people -- threatening them with an anti-gay constitutional amendment? In some ways worse than the assault described in the news report.

Don't forget his threats to gays in the military to put DADT into force again.

by Anonymousreply 5605/10/2012

What Romney should say is, "I was a spoiled rich kid with an inflated sense of entitlement because my dad was powerful and famous. Many people were my friends or enemies strictly on that basis. I can't drive through Detroit, which made my Dad successful, without feeling sad about how he and other businessmen and politicians left it. But having to work long hours and meet payrolls, I learned and matured."

But he won't, because he hasn't. And he still thinks his dad was God.

by Anonymousreply 5705/10/2012

OK, R51, most of us did stupid things when we were young.

Were most of us bullies? Did most of us lead a gang attack on a powerless outsider kid?

Do most of us, as adults, when called on our stupid youthful behavior, deny any memory of it?

Does this tell us anything about his character?

Does it align with other anecdotes about his "insensitive" behavior -- to the family dog, to the blind teacher? What about the famous photo of him and his Bain cronies with $100 bills stuffed in their pockets?

Does it align with his recent remarks, including "I like to fire people" and "I'm not concerned about the very poor"?

His behavior as an 18-year-old privileged son of a state governor cannot be simply dismissed as stupid and young.

By itself, it doesn't necessary define his character, but in context with many other incidents, it reflects long-standing attitudes and habits that reveals his inner core.

by Anonymousreply 5805/10/2012

Sounds like Romney was deeply disturbed by the boner he had for this guy.

by Anonymousreply 5905/10/2012

I can forgive people (including myself) for stupid things done when they were actually children. But by 18, normal people have developed enough of a moral compass to know that what Mitt did was evil. A man is fully accountable for things he did at age 18.

by Anonymousreply 6005/10/2012

I should say "cruel," not "stupid."

by Anonymousreply 6105/10/2012

I read somewhere that when he was on his 'mission" ringing doorbells in France, the French would often challenge Romney about the church's policy on blacks.

Romney's standard answer was "we think of them the same way you think of your Arabs."

by Anonymousreply 6205/10/2012

Call Dick Wolf. He can do a ripped from the headlines episode about a gay bashing by the 18-year-old son of a governor.

by Anonymousreply 6305/10/2012

The man is a psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 6405/10/2012

R45, you're ignoring the fact that he received no apparent disciplinary action for his behaviour. Why do you think that was?

Don't be an apologist for a bully, mate.

by Anonymousreply 6505/10/2012

"Andrea Saul, a spokeswoman for Mr. Romney, told The Post that “anyone who knows Mitt Romney knows that he doesn’t have a meanspirited bone in his body."

Not sure dogs would agree with that.

by Anonymousreply 6605/10/2012

"“Back in high school, I did some dumb things and if anybody was hurt by that or offended, obviously I apologize for that,” Mr. Romney told Brian Kilmeade, a radio host. Mr. Romney added that: “I participated in a lot of high jinks and pranks during high school and some might have gone too far and for that, I apologize.”

That's the worst kind of apology - the non-apology. IF anybody was hurt. MIGHT have gone too far. Ugh. You can't genuinely apologise for behaviour you don't even acknowledge.

by Anonymousreply 6705/10/2012

But do bullies really change? George HW Bush was a bully, but to all appearances became a "compassionate conservative" and well-behaved adult....until he hired Karl Rove because of his bad behavior and set him to work developing win at any cost strategies.

by Anonymousreply 6805/10/2012

However, r69, he did do these things.

by Anonymousreply 7005/10/2012

Blah, blah, blah. He still has my vote.

by Anonymousreply 7105/10/2012

[quote]but it's not as though he did these things yesterday.

Agreed, he has clearly stopped shitting on people who are not like him... that's why he's a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 7205/10/2012

You do mean to defend him, R69, and it's unconscionable. Assaulting a gay student for being different is NOT something a young man with a huge ego does. It's what a bully does.

We DO know many things about Obama as a young man. His favorite professor at Occidental was gay. He hung around with him a lot because he felt he could learn from him. The comparison to Romney could not be more stark.

by Anonymousreply 7305/10/2012

R45, I think you should just be quiet now. You're apologising for Romney and then turning and tarring Obama with the same brush, based on no evidence whatsoever.

You may have bullied people or been bullied yourself which might account for your dim view of humanity but, believe me, despite your efforts, there is no excuse for this behaviour. And what is most disturbing to mainstream voters is the claim not to have any recollection of it at all. Most mature people would be pained to have perpetrated such an act. Romney has no memory of it. That speaks to a lifetime of entitlement without consequence.

by Anonymousreply 7405/10/2012

R69 is using the "Obama ate dog" defense.

by Anonymousreply 7505/10/2012

If he does recall and is personally ashamed to the point he lies about remembering, that would be a little better.

If he really doesn't recall, then he's a psychopath. You cannot deny it.

by Anonymousreply 7605/10/2012

I don't see the big deal.

by Anonymousreply 7705/10/2012

Sorry, meant sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 7805/10/2012

Just more information on his character. And it's not good news.

by Anonymousreply 7905/10/2012

AND this part of his "apology" is utter bullshit.

But Mr. Romney added that he did not recall the episode described in the paper and said that whatever happened was not fueled by antipathy toward the student because of his sexual orientation.

" “I don’t remember that incident. I certainly don’t believe that I thought the fellow was homosexual,” Mr. Romney said. “That was the furthest thing from our minds back in the 1960s so that was not the case.”

The Post article also describes another episode in which Mr. Romney was accused of mistreating a mostly blind teacher at the prestigious Michigan institution called Cranbrook School. In that episode, students recalled that Mr. Romney purposely guided the blind teacher, known affectionately as “the Bat,” into a closed door. “Romney giggled hysterically as the teacher shrugged it off as another of life’s indignities,” The Post wrote. "

As if gays were unheard of in the 1960s!!!

by Anonymousreply 8005/10/2012

So he doesn't remember the incident but he does remember that the incident wasn't fueled by homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 8105/10/2012

He's a creepy cunt

by Anonymousreply 8205/10/2012

I wonder if Obama knew this article was coming out and moved up his interview because of it?

by Anonymousreply 8305/10/2012

This makes me sick. I truly hope his jet flies into a mountain.

by Anonymousreply 8405/10/2012

In general I do not hold people responsible for foolish acts from the past- particularly distant past. But this one is violent. It is not good at all. I do not remotely identify with people who do this sort of thing, and never have my entire life. Do I view such people with caution, absolutely.

He's a strange man. Putting the dog crate on the car roof? His wife's reponse was just as baffling (the dog loved it she said- she apparently does not know that a dog will risk death rather than be left behind by the alpha or owner??!! She and he seem totally clueless.)

by Anonymousreply 8505/10/2012

The Mitt Romney of 1994 could say he's changed as based on his record of supporting gay rights, but he can't say that now because he's changed again. He's got to have one killer ulcer with all of the knots he's tied himself into to win the presidency.

by Anonymousreply 8605/10/2012

I think most of us have at least one thing from our teens that we are ashamed of. Except I'm pretty sure Mitt is never ashamed of anything.

by Anonymousreply 8705/10/2012

[quote]He's got to have one killer ulcer with all of the knots he's tied himself into to win the presidency.

I think there's more than enough evidence to show he has no conscience, therefore, no ulcer.

by Anonymousreply 8805/10/2012

What is wrong with this man?

by Anonymousreply 8905/10/2012

He either doesn't remember because he doesn't give a shit about anything he does, or he does remember and he is lying about it.

by Anonymousreply 9005/10/2012

Either way, not someone I want in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 9105/10/2012

Dogs shit themselves when they're happy!

by Anonymousreply 9205/10/2012

The fact that he says he does not remember an incident where he ordered a bunch of fellow goons to hold a guy while he cut his hair is as disturbing as the act itself.

He's a sociopath, a liar, a homophobe, a cultist, a rich-boy creep and unworthy of the presidency. Terrible.

by Anonymousreply 9305/10/2012

I'm burning on this one. In high school a group of guys cut the hair of a fellow whose hair they didn't like. I stood there appalled but with my mouth shut. I have felt shame for it and years later when I ran into the guy (he left the school after that year) I told him so. I still am ashamed of myself. I also remember a "prank" in college involving some harsh words towards someone that I regret, many years later. If I knew how to reach the person I would apologize now. I'm not a worrying nut - I feel accountable for my hurtful actions, even through omission and even when I was young. I knew better then. High school is not an age of moral or ethical imbecility.

SO - fuck you, Mittens. You are a disgrace, a slippery, dishonest, tell-the-lie-and-move-on disgrace.

And your ass is NOT going to park itself in our White House.

by Anonymousreply 9405/10/2012

Cutting someone's is pretty out of bounds. What R90 said - he doesn't remember because he's a total asshole or he does and he's lying. Either way this guy is more of an asshole than I thought he was.

He's clearly lying in this Fox interview. You can hear him sort of get flustered and try pathetically to downplay it and brush it off like he does in every interview where's he called out on something. The man is a liar. Really obviously a total liar. No way this guy is our next president.

by Anonymousreply 9505/10/2012

Well Mr. Lauber did get a free haircut. So I think things worked out rather well for him.

by Anonymousreply 9605/10/2012

In today's world, they would have called the police and Mitt would have been expelled.

by Anonymousreply 9705/10/2012

I remember thinking in 2000 that Bush was so obviously an idiot that there was no way he could get elected. Romney's base thinks all politicians lie.

by Anonymousreply 9805/10/2012

R92, will you marry me? I can't stop laughing now.

R89, I think he's a sociopath. Seriously. Look at his long history of being completely unconcerned with other people's needs and feelings, and look at how easily he lies about every little thing that comes up.

He lies when the truth would serve him better.

by Anonymousreply 9905/10/2012

Shorter, natural-colored hair is easier to maintain and care for, so it all worked out for the best.

by Anonymousreply 10005/10/2012

Can a sociopath be a successful husband and father?

by Anonymousreply 10105/10/2012

Of course we can!

by Anonymousreply 10205/10/2012

The guy is just, plain and simple, the WORST. He is as bad as you ever imagined--the personification of just exactly the worst thing that ever occurs in the mind of a bullied victim. Yes, you are so small and insignificant that he is not even going to remember having humiliated you. He is never going to feel guilt or shame about humiliating you. A moment in your life that is unforgettably painful is not going to cost this animal even a moment of sleep.

There is something wrong with him.

Does anyone know WEHT Lauber?

by Anonymousreply 10405/10/2012

Can he be a successful president?

by Anonymousreply 10505/10/2012

The article said dead in 2004.

by Anonymousreply 10605/10/2012

"Two Clueless Bullies are Better Than One!"

Vote Mittens and Chris Crisco 2012

by Anonymousreply 10705/10/2012

Lauber died in 2004.

by Anonymousreply 10805/10/2012

So another beautiful gay person bites the dust because of lifelong torture form assholes. Assholes who can't keep their personal issues to themselves. This man never forgot his abuse from Romney, and probably drank/used drugs to cover up his pain, especially as an older gay man. This may have led to his liver cancer, all of these unfair memories. Assholes sometimes win in life. But that doesn't mean we ever give in to them without a fight.

by Anonymousreply 10905/10/2012

R71, hard to find a sense of humor today. Bullied mercilessly myself. Never get over the feeling it was deserved. The shame is pounded in.

The poor, of course, deserve their suffering, the sick their illnesses, the women their gender, the weak and alone their beatings.

God loves the elect, and punishes the unworthy His packs of well-appointed human wolves.

by Anonymousreply 11005/10/2012

I think we all feel Lauber's pain, so that's the story we focus on, but guiding a blind man into a closed door for laughs is actually more indicative of just how callous the man is.

I wonder if maybe he is telling the truth about not remembering though? I've always suspected that his robot-like personality is because the brain damage from that car wreck in France was much more severe than they've ever admitted.

by Anonymousreply 11105/10/2012

[quote] "That (someone being gay) was the furthest thing from our minds back in the 1960s."

Bull. Shit. I was born in 1961 and distinctly remember being ganged up on and taunted with words like "fem" and "pussy" at 8 and 9 years old (still hate those words today as a result). That would have been 1969 or '70, not long after Romney's 1965 incident.

He should have never put up this excuse, because I'm quite sure there are tens of thousands of fellow eldergays who have similar stories to share, which date back even earlier than mine.

I also agree that anyone who claims not to remember orchestrating a mean-spirited physical assault on someone else is either a rotten liar or a soulless sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 11205/10/2012

r104, there is an article out now that describes Lauber's remaining life as a study in disconnected wandering. He finished college after dropping out of several at Vanderbilt majoring in English. He did a stint at teaching, being a cook, a riding instructor and showman, world traveler. He came out to his family when relatively young, but I get that he was not or did not feel accepted. He died of liver cancer.

by Anonymousreply 11405/10/2012

well-played r96!!

by Anonymousreply 11505/10/2012

[quote]...even more of a douche than i had previously thought...

Yup, you couldn't have said it any better.

by Anonymousreply 11605/10/2012

Do you think Mittens got an unexpected hard on and soiled his Brooks Brothers slacks as he mounted the blond boy?

by Anonymousreply 11705/10/2012

r113, wha?

by Anonymousreply 11805/10/2012

I was in a Catholic high school in Detroit at the same time. We hated the Cranbrook boys. A bunch of spoiled, entitled assholes. Romney fit right it.

by Anonymousreply 11905/10/2012

Isn't that Rutgers kid looking at 10 years for taping his roommate? Same age as mitt when he jumped the kid scissors in hand.

by Anonymousreply 12005/10/2012

Republicans are really creepy.

There was still a draft when Romney was 18. Does anyone know what his draft status was?

by Anonymousreply 12105/10/2012

[quote]Are Mormon people really Christian?

Well, it is the Church of *Jesus Christ* of Latter Day Saints.

by Anonymousreply 12205/10/2012

They went straight to college and got student deferments. The status was 2S I believe. None of the rich kids ever got drafted.

by Anonymousreply 12405/10/2012

The thing I find interesting about this is that his claim to not remember the incident, and his remark it had nothing to do with the guy being perceived as gay and "that was the furthest thing from our minds in the '60's" is just an obvious, outright, pathological lie, as should be obvious to all - his supporters and his detractors.

Which makes one think, if he would so blatantly lie about this incident, what else would he lie about to protect himself?

by Anonymousreply 12505/10/2012

[quote]Does anyone know what his draft status was?

Mormon.

by Anonymousreply 12605/10/2012

I didn't bully him because he was GAY. I didnt know what gay was! I simply bullied him because he was a sissy queer effeminate nancy boy faggot! You know, a feminine boy! Thats totally different!

by Anonymousreply 12705/10/2012

Barney Frank did claim several months ago that most people don't understand that Romney has a meanness at his core.

Tell me; how does one not remember an incident but is sure that very same incident did not include gay bashing.

by Anonymousreply 12805/10/2012

When Romney thought he was going to get a nice supportive soundbite at the New Hampshire breakfast stop after he spied the man in the Viet Nam vet hat, and it turned out he picked a guy with a husband across the table from him, the guy asked him about his military service and Mittens told him he "chose to do mission work for" his church. He implied that that was an equally important choice.

by Anonymousreply 12905/10/2012

[quote] Are Mormon people really Christian?

No, they are not.

by Anonymousreply 13005/10/2012

[quote]Are Mormon people really Christian?

According to Mormons, they are. According to just about every other Christian sect they are not because they don't believe in the divinity of Christ.

by Anonymousreply 13105/10/2012

I thought the story was sickening, though it didn't surprise me that shit like that goes on a some snooty boys prep school and that Mitt was some self appointed enforcer of morality. But here's the thing - if you're a Mitt supporter, you think it's some overblown kid incident. If you already hated Mitt, it's just confirmation of what an a-hole he is. In the big picture, I doubt this story means much to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 13205/10/2012

They believe in the divinity of Christ. They also believe in the divinity of themselves (men only).

by Anonymousreply 13305/10/2012

Let's lynch Romeany, the moron bastard.

Now that's a good election pin to wear.

by Anonymousreply 13405/10/2012

I remembered when I was either 8 or 9 and stamped on a friend's feet, laughed at her and dropped her as a friend. I remember her tears and how hurt she looked. I've written about it here in a thread about awful behavior. That was over 30 years ago. I moved to another country soon after the incident. I remember everything about it to this day. My biggest regret is never having apologized.

Eighteen year olds are certainly capable of stupidity and cruelty. That can be forgiven and you can see how the other participants have felt remorse. I'm much more disturbed Romney's denial of even remembering the incident. It doesn't say much about him as an 18 year old, it says a lot about him as the man he became.

by Anonymousreply 13505/10/2012

[quote]Does anyone know what his draft status was?

Mittens told the draft board:

Hey, I'm only eighteen, I've got a ruptured spleen and I always carry a purse.

I've got eyes like a bat, and my feet are flat, and my asthma's getting worse.

Consider my career, my sweetheart dear, my poor old invalid aunt.

Besides, I ain't no fool, I'm a-goin' to school and I'm working in a defense plant

I've got a dislocated disc and a wracked up back and I'm allergic to flowers and bugs.

And when a bombshell hits, I get epileptic fits and I'm addicted to a thousand drugs.

I got the weakness woes, and I can't touch my toes. I can hardly reach my knees.

And if the enemy ever came close to me, well I'd probably start to sneeze.

by Anonymousreply 13605/10/2012

Heh! This story just made the NPR newsbreak. Pubbie heads are exploding all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 13705/10/2012

Someone should put together a list of conservative assholes who are dismissing this report as harmless kid stuff but were a month ago railing about how Trayvon Martin was a thug menace who had it coming.

by Anonymousreply 13805/10/2012

Hey, GOP You know you still have time to change your mind. I'm just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 13905/10/2012

r135, you were 8 or 9, and you feel guilty, and apologetic.

He was 18! EIGHTEEN! Old enough to vote and serve in the military (or as a missionary in paris). and he claims to have forgotten it.

Huge difference between 8 and 18.

by Anonymousreply 14005/10/2012

I grew up in the 1960s (b. 1953). We sure did know what gay was then- if you were taunted, you were usually called a "mo." Straight guys did it all the time. Girls too.

Romney is lying.

by Anonymousreply 14105/10/2012

Romney is ALWAYS lying.

by Anonymousreply 14205/10/2012

At the very LEAST, it shows that Mitt likes to single out those that are different for ridicule, and will force them to conform to his ideals if necessary.

by Anonymousreply 14305/10/2012

What is he excuse for calling out 'atta gurl' to a known gay student at the school.

by Anonymousreply 14405/10/2012

He's a racist too.

by Anonymousreply 14505/10/2012

He didn't know.

by Anonymousreply 14605/10/2012

R122 (you dolt), if you shout "Jesus Christ" when your ass is being pounded it doesn't make you a Christian.

Mormons are American pastiche quasi-Masonic proto-Spiritualist post-Christian self-aggrandizer fabulists. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as any religion with origins within the purview of history is going to look very peculiar.

However, the determined dishonesty, secrecy, double-dealing, and multi-tiered, need-to-know, don't-tell-the-converts-the-truth falseness of the sect, is what places it among the cults. And its absurd and anti-Christian tenets are what removes it from Christian orthodoxy. It does not even approach the fringe of Christianity. It posits a completely different notion of godhead, a different definition of Jesus' message and being, and a polydeistic cosmology that sets it quite apart from anything anyone would call "Christian." (And I'm not a Christian, for the record.) It now calls itself "Christian" as a P.R. ploy to obtain acceptance and seem mainstream, which it is not.

The only thing it shares with some Christian orthodoxy is a non-scriptural stance against LGBT people. Fuck the LDS.

by Anonymousreply 14705/10/2012

The perfect candidate for the despicable Republican Party. Perfect.

by Anonymousreply 14805/10/2012

[quote]American pastiche quasi-Masonic proto-Spiritualist post-Christian self-aggrandizer fabulists

[quote]a completely different notion of godhead, a different definition of Jesus' message and being, and a polydeistic cosmology

by Anonymousreply 14905/10/2012

[quote]Mormons are American pastiche quasi-Masonic proto-Spiritualist post-Christian self-aggrandizer fabulists. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as any religion with origins within the purview of history is going to look very peculiar.

[quote]However, the determined dishonesty, secrecy, double-dealing, and multi-tiered, need-to-know, don't-tell-the-converts-the-truth falseness of the sect, is what places it among the cults. And its absurd and anti-Christian tenets are what removes it from Christian orthodoxy. It does not even approach the fringe of Christianity. It posits a completely different notion of godhead, a different definition of Jesus' message and being, and a polydeistic cosmology that sets it quite apart from anything anyone would call "Christian." (And I'm not a Christian, for the record.) It now calls itself "Christian" as a P.R. ploy to obtain acceptance and seem mainstream, which it is not.

Best distillation of this whackdoodle outfit I've yet read. W&W.

by Anonymousreply 15005/10/2012

[quote]It now calls itself "Christian" as a P.R. ploy to obtain acceptance and seem mainstream, which it is not.

And the Mormon temples across the nation have huge exhibitions of manger scenes every December as part of the P.R. campaign to paint themselves as Christians.

by Anonymousreply 15105/10/2012

R152, WTF are you talking about? You've clearly not completed your coursework at the Rove Institute of Misdirection.

Call us when you're going to make a reasonable attempt.

by Anonymousreply 15405/10/2012

Romney seems to think this doesn't matter since he was only in High School. Yet just a few weeks ago his campaign basically said Obama was an equal dog abuser because he ate dog meat as a child.

by Anonymousreply 15605/10/2012

R152, I'm not a Christian, but if I had the opportunity to attend Rev. Jeremiah Wright's church and listen to him preach, I would be there every Sunday.

I'm a white gay man, but imo, there is more truth and inspiration in black liberation theology than in all the white protestant and Catholic churches in the nation, combined.

The right-wing's problem with Rev. Wright wasn't that he was incorrect, it was that he didn't whitewash the facts and pretend the US is a beacon of light for people of color and other minorities.

Republicans can't handle the truth, as we know from the revisionism they do to every aspect of American history, beginning with the genocide Christopher Columbus promulgated and continuing through the Republican fantasy of the founding fathers as Christians.

by Anonymousreply 15705/10/2012

Reverend Wright was/is not a racist. He has never espoused that blacks are superior because of race, or that whites are inherently inferior or evil because of race. In fact, his belief systems are based on the very opposite of those statements.

by Anonymousreply 15905/10/2012

r157 is the very opposite of self-hating, r158. I suspect you, on the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 16005/10/2012

[quote]What is he excuse for calling out 'atta gurl' to a known gay student at the school.

This NOT a defense, he's an asshole regardless of his motive, but in the 1960's, that could easily have been a comment abut the length of the guy's hair and not a statement abut his sexuality.

I was there, and "You look like a goddamned girl with that hair" was a pretty common line, especially from crewcut wearing WWII vintage fathers.

Which brings up another question: Was Mitt's father a real prick? Anyone heard anything interesting about him?

by Anonymousreply 16105/10/2012

This guy really is a douche.

Really.

by Anonymousreply 16205/10/2012

Shirley Phelps thinks this news is tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 16305/10/2012

At least 5 people remember the incident vividly, with 4 of them willing to go on the record.

I have a bad memory in general, but I still remember vividly the couple of times I helped gang up on this weird kid at school -- and all we did was corner him at his locker and made him say "I'm a weirdo." It's one of those things where you feel ashamed afterwards if you are a normal person.

By the way, you can bet those 4 witnessing are getting death threats from angry right wingers.

by Anonymousreply 16405/10/2012

....my question about idiot r152/155/157 is whether as well as being an idiot rightwing troll, it is a GAY idiot rightwing troll.

Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 16505/10/2012

[quote]rascist

FART, you mean you still haven't learned to spell it?

WTF is wrong with you, dumbass? You keep using the word over and over again. Don't you at least have the red squiggly line under the word to keep telling your stupid ass you're misspelling it?

by Anonymousreply 16605/10/2012

Even a paid gop pac troll can't defend this.

by Anonymousreply 16705/10/2012

It was just on NPR again with Mitt's pathetic voice saying he doesn't remember it.

by Anonymousreply 16805/10/2012

Wanna bet, R167?

Watch the gay Republicans defend it.

Is anyone else watching ABC News?

Did anyone else see the douchebag who was a classmate of Mitt, didn't witness it, but defended Mitt? He laughingly said (paraphrasing) "It's like threatening to throw someone in the pool at a party. All you really hear are the 'snip, snip' sounds of the scissors."

by Anonymousreply 16905/10/2012

Republicans do not care about gay bashing and vote against laws that try to protect gays from creeps like Romney.

by Anonymousreply 17105/10/2012

He's a mean, entitled shit like Dubya was. Wouldn't surprise me if Dubya did something similar.

by Anonymousreply 17205/10/2012

Independents care. Combine this with the dog story and Romney's image is just about set in stone.

by Anonymousreply 17305/10/2012

F&F for R170.

I loathe Mitt, but cut the shit.

by Anonymousreply 17405/10/2012

[quote]Reverend Wright was/is not a racist. He has never espoused that blacks are superior because of race, or that whites are inherently inferior or evil because of race. In fact, his belief systems are based on the very opposite of those statements.

R159, you might want to rethink your post. When you say "...his belief systems are based on the very opposite of those statements..." you're saying Wright is espousing that blacks are inferior and whites are inherently superior or evil because of race.

Your heart and mind may be in the right place, but your words aren't.

by Anonymousreply 17505/10/2012

Mitt's campaign can die already.

by Anonymousreply 17605/10/2012

Hardly R175. Rev. Wright was not a black nationalist preacher, as anyone familiar with the United Church of Christ would have known. On the other hand, Obama's preacher at Ebenezer Baptist is altogether more of a radical.

by Anonymousreply 17705/10/2012

R177, read my post again and this time try to think about what it means before you knee-jerk.

I made no claim about Rev. Wright's beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 17805/10/2012

We know what you meant r175.

by Anonymousreply 17905/10/2012

You know why I laugh whenever Wright is brought up?

The idiots who bring him up cannot point to a single piece of legislation proposed by Obama that in any way reflects whatever hyperbolic bullshit the rightwing claims he heard at that church. Point to a "Fuck whitey" bill. Something. Anything that is a reflection of his time in that church.

We cannot say the same about the GOP. They take their marching orders DIRECTLY from the batshit crazy religious kooks.

by Anonymousreply 18005/10/2012

Quit hijacking this thread talking about Rev. Wright.

by Anonymousreply 18105/10/2012

Can someone who went to school in the 1960s comment on what was considered permissible prankster behavior back then?

I have absolutely no doubt that any teenager that holds down another student and uses a scissor cut off hair would be summarily expelled from school today. It would considered a serious assault -- a "one strike and you're out" offense.

Would this be viewed as seriously back then? Or would it have been viewed as less serious back then because the victim was a boy?

by Anonymousreply 18205/10/2012

This must be why he refused to fund LGBT bullying programs while Governor. The Mass Leg. overrode his veto.

by Anonymousreply 18305/10/2012

Stick a fork in Romney, he's done!

by Anonymousreply 18405/10/2012

Yeah, well you're a fuckwit R164. It never would have occurred to me to do something like that ever to anyone. FUCK YOU AND THE BULLY TRAIN YOU RODE IN ON.

by Anonymousreply 18505/10/2012

Well I went to school in the 70s and anybody who did that would have been expelled in the 70s.

I think the reality here is that Cranbrook was not a public school but a private school where Romney's dad being rich and governor was enough to ensure that everything he did was supported by the staff. Indeed, they may have instigated it. You know, pulled him aside and said, we can't allow him to get away with this, but we don't want to do anything directly ourselves because his family could cause trouble for us. Why don't you and a few of the fellows teach him a lesson....

by Anonymousreply 18605/10/2012

Judy Shepherd comments:

Judy Shepard, whose son Matthew was murdered in an anti-gay hate crime in 1998 said: “While this may seem like an innocent prank to some, it was an act of torment against a child for being different. We expect the people we elect to be leaders in the charge against bullying so that all students are afforded the right to learn and grow in an environment free of fear. This incident calls into question whether Mitt Romney can be an advocate for the nation’s most vulnerable children.”

by Anonymousreply 18705/10/2012

r182, there was that Rebel Without a Cause movie in the 50s that made it seem like kids were pretty violent back then. It's hard to say if kids are worse now or then.

by Anonymousreply 18805/10/2012

Romney has to be the most homophobic politician that ever homophobed!

by Anonymousreply 18905/10/2012

Thanks, r187.

by Anonymousreply 19005/10/2012

This is one of the best and most insightful threads I have seen here in awhile. I hit the W&W many times. This is real talk.

by Anonymousreply 19105/10/2012

I just remembered that School Ties movie also. It was during the 50s. I don't remember the story, but I think there was violence among the students.

by Anonymousreply 19205/10/2012

[quote]Romney has to be the most homophobic politician that ever homophobed!

Forgotten me already?

by Anonymousreply 19305/10/2012

Yes

by Anonymousreply 19405/10/2012

I love how the Right has taken 90 seconds of videotape on Rev Wright and spun it into this great conspiracy.

Don't you think Elder Romney has heard some equally unflattering things in Temple?

Sadly we'll never know because Elder Romney's church believes in secret ceremonies and don't allow cameras in their services. Wright, on the other hand, is on radio and TV every week.

by Anonymousreply 19505/10/2012

Romney is way more homophobic than Santorum, always was, always will be.

Exhibit a) Santorum had an office next to a gay bar;

Exhibit b) Santorum had openly gay black man Robert Traynham on his staff for years and years.

Romney has never gotten that close to an actual homosexual - that he was aware of - except to cut their hair.

As for bullying, that's the Mormon way. That is what they are about. That is not incidental to their culture, it is their meat and potatoes. They are a GANG.

by Anonymousreply 19605/10/2012

Silly R195. Romney was the one giving speeches in the Temple. He was a bishop. He had a bigger spiritual responsibility than Rev. Wright ever did. And he used it to tell women not to get abortions and to bash gays.

by Anonymousreply 19705/10/2012

Romney claims he doesn't remember the incident, such a Douchbag liar!

by Anonymousreply 19805/10/2012

This has nothing to do with Rev. Wright. Nothing. Listening to someone say something is not the same as actively badgering and bullying vulnerable people.

As much as I loathed GWB I gave to say Romney seems worse. He comes across as truly without humanity.

by Anonymousreply 19905/10/2012

The poster who wrote about the true Mormon religion nailed it. They are not--repeat, not--Christian in any way. They simply adopt a Christian pose that is completely false.

What truly astonishes me is that not one media commentator has asked Romney "Do you fully accept the Book of Mormon?" Has anyone ever read it? Oy vey. If you thought the Bible was odd...

by Anonymousreply 20005/10/2012

i love r180.

by Anonymousreply 20105/10/2012

More than hiding its theology makes the Mormons a cult. Insistence on strict involuntary financial contributions, lack of financial accounting to the members, designing and scheduling daily activities - every day the church tells you what to do, pressuring and harrassing people who leave or who fall behind in their contributions, discriminating for or against people in their job based on their standing in the church, trying to isolate the members from outside influences, encouraging enmity and hate against outsiders, threatening violence against those who question the hierarchy -- the Mormons aren't just a cult, they are THE MOST CULTIC practitioners in the land and they make Scientology and Seventh-day Adventists look like weekend warriors and dilettantes.

by Anonymousreply 20205/10/2012

I know, r199. Romney makes me feel *almost* warm and cuddly about GWB (who I loathe!). Romney seem like a psychopath, while Bush seemed like an idiot surrounded by psychopaths (((cough d.cheney cough))....

by Anonymousreply 20305/10/2012

Bush was a psychopath, period, but lazy for all that.

Romney is a psychopath who also operates in an antisocial tradition.

by Anonymousreply 20405/10/2012

What a crock of shit. I guess timing IS everything.

by Anonymousreply 20505/10/2012

Psychopaths are people, too my friend!

by Anonymousreply 20605/10/2012

damn. we're scared!

by Anonymousreply 20705/10/2012

I'm gonna laugh my way right into the White House, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 20805/10/2012

nice try r208

by Anonymousreply 20905/10/2012

The victim probably never complained to school officials.

by Anonymousreply 21005/10/2012

This is unprecedented for a current politician running for President, knowing he's been outed as a homophobe.

I'm actually "shocked" that we are at this current level in the Presidential running game.

by Anonymousreply 21105/10/2012

It's fucked up how the campaIgn was like IT WAS 50 YEARS AGO to imply he was a little kid or at max 15 when it happened.

He was a adult.

Dharun Ravi is looking at 10 years for what he did at 18.

by Anonymousreply 21205/10/2012

He bullied and assaulted a gay student at 18. He strapped the terrified family dog to the roof of the car at 35. He was an enthusiastic member of a church that openly discriminated against black people until he was 31.

The content of Romney's character is clear.

by Anonymousreply 21305/10/2012

[quote]It's fucked up how the campaIgn was like IT WAS 50 YEARS AGO to imply he was a little kid or at max 15 when it happened. He was a adult.

Ah, Rethuglican memories of not too long ago.

G.W. Bush went AWOL from his duties as a member of the Texas Air National Guard and, aftr a specific amount of time, became a military deserter.

Years later, still a military deserter, he donned a pilot's costume and as Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, landed on an aircraft carrier and proclaimed "Mission Accomplished" in Iraq. It was amazing to see how the Bush War in Iraq ended immediately -- at the word of a military deserter - typical of a Rethuglican operative.

by Anonymousreply 21405/10/2012

[quote]He bullied and assaulted a gay student at 18. He strapped the terrified family dog to the roof of the car at 35. He was an enthusiastic member of a church that openly discriminated against black people until he was 31

And, republicans call this "family values"? WTF do they want to elect this guy?

It's scarey that he could be the next President. It would be like electing a dictator, not a President.

by Anonymousreply 21505/10/2012

"Pranks"

Some of what Mitt Romney did as a schoolboy definitely falls into that category. My high school classmates tormented various teachers routinely. Leading a blind teacher into a door is cruel, but it's still within the category of prank, in part because it targets authority. Bart Simpson pranks. But Nelson Muntz bullies. And the story of the attack on the young nonconformist gay boy is a particularly ugly piece of bullying. It was a vicious and violent assault by a mob organized by Romney, who held him down on the floor, and cut his hair with a pair of scissors.

I do not believe Romney has no memory of this. I believe he is lying. His absurd statement that he has no memory of the event but that he didn't target the boy for being gay is hilarious for its self-contradiction. A boy who routinely snickered "Atta girl!" when one young gay kid in his class spoke up is not just bashing hippies. I went to an all boys high school in the 1970s. What Romney did was a gay-bashing.

Should we judge a man today by what he did all those years ago?

Not entirely. He has apologized. But there is surely something here: the notion that being privileged and conformist requires actual punishment of the marginalized and under-privileged; that you pick on younger, weaker boys, not older ones; and that you psychologically traumatize the victim by permanently marking his body.

And this matters because today these attacks on gay kids drive many to suicide, others to despair; they wreck lives and self-esteem. It matters that we know that one candidate for president was an anti-gay bully in high school, targeting a weak and defenseless kid and humiliating and traumatizing him. Today, he does the same thing in a larger, more abstract way: targeting a small minority as a way to advance his own power. It gives me the chills.

by Anonymousreply 21605/10/2012

R210. Wha?

by Anonymousreply 21705/10/2012

Did Anderson discuss this tonight?

by Anonymousreply 21805/10/2012

When I was 18 I knew enough to feel guilty and sorry for the cruel things I did as a 9-10 year old. Mittens thinks this shit is character-building, that those who are different NEED to be harassed into conformity. It's a shame credibility doesn't actually matter to red voters because he has none now.

by Anonymousreply 21905/10/2012

Never saw any pranks all through grade school and high school except one time. Benny C. put a tack on Sr. Blanche Marie's chair. Until that moment she had never raised her voice. It was like an explosion. Maybe it was the beach climate where all the beach and surfing time used up everyone's energy so everyone behaved in school.

What Romney did to that kid would be impossible to forget and that's why the others involved all remembered. As usual, Romney proves he's a liar. It must have been terrifying for that kid because he didn't know how much more they planned to do to him.

When I cast my vote in November, I'll remember John Lauber as I vote against that Mormon pig.

by Anonymousreply 22005/10/2012

When I was 8 years old, I told Brenda K. her clothes were cheap and worn out. It made her cry. I wake up in the middle of the night regretting that.

Romney remembers what he did. Either that or he's a complete sociopath.

I will work as hard as I can and give as much money as I can to make sure this man does not become President.

by Anonymousreply 22105/10/2012

That entitled son-of-a-bitch douchebag Romney remembers.

You cut of someone's hair. You remember. You were a bully in high school. You remember. It's always the way: The religious, church-going assholes are nothing but--assholes. They never change.

And Ann Romney was attracted to an asshole, which makes her an asshole. Her five boys are probably assholes too.

by Anonymousreply 22205/10/2012

Let's give Romney the benefit of the doubt.

So he's mentally retarded. Is that so horrible?

by Anonymousreply 22305/10/2012

We need to have campaign buttons that read: Remember John Lauber

It needs to be a big part of the campaign against that Mormon moron.

by Anonymousreply 22405/10/2012

Spoken like a true Democrat r225. Let the Pubbies walk all over us. Lie down and let them kick us while we're down. It gave us 8 years of Bush. It gave us the past few years of a Republicn House.

Let's pretend that Mittens is a darling candidate and we can all get together for a wonderful consensus.

by Anonymousreply 22605/10/2012

LOL -- if you go to Google search and start typing "Romney," the first three entries are

Romney dog roof Romney bully Romney dog

by Anonymousreply 22705/10/2012

Luv u, Log Cabinette troll(s). Of course this mini-scandal only plays into the GOProuder high school locker room sex fantasy of being pissed on by a square-jawed guy who looks like your dad.

by Anonymousreply 22905/10/2012

Romney lies again. He shades the truth by calling his bullying "pranks" or "practical jokes."

Romney is a fraud.

by Anonymousreply 23005/10/2012

I guess we can just assume that John Lauber has been baptized by them.

by Anonymousreply 23105/10/2012

[quote]And I guess I hurt your feelings,

No, r228, you disgust me. It's morons like you who applauded Nancy's "Impeachment is off the table" that enabled a final two years of Bush and Cheney-Halliburton overseeing the millions of dollars going into their bank accounts while our men and women were being killed in the Bush War in Iraq.

Jackasses like you, R228, will ensure that Romney buys his way to the Oval Office while you make sure there's nothing "counterproductive" to mar a lovely campaign. Up yours along with all the other chicken-shit DINOs who put Republicans in office. I dispise Romeney, but, even more, I dispise fools like you who will pave his way to the White House.

by Anonymousreply 23205/10/2012

Romney is type of blowhard douchebag who probably beat up, taunted and bullied the same guys who grew up and became Log Cabins assholes.

Strange bedfellows now.

by Anonymousreply 23305/10/2012

New name:

Mitt the Barber

by Anonymousreply 23405/10/2012

Anyone who has ever been bullied knows exactly what kind of human being Romney is. I lived it, survived it, and there's not a chance in hell I'd ever vote for someone like this.

by Anonymousreply 23605/11/2012

It's interesting that the second half of the story, the part about walking the blind teacher face first into a closed door, has been dropped in the most of the stories posted on the internet.

I suppose that's spin control since it's harder to dismiss cruelly picking on a blind adult as a "prank" but I think we need to do whatever we can to keep that part of the story alive.

Surely even the republicans and the fundies consider fucking with the blind to be out of bounds.

by Anonymousreply 23705/11/2012

[quote]YOU make the mistake of equating my criticisms with support of Romney.

Absolutely not. It would be great if you were on Romney's team. It would help him lose for sure as you caution them not to do anything "counterproductive."

Washington is broken because of the DINOs who roll over and wait to be kicked by Rethuglicunts. It's DINOs like you who need to be cleaned out of the House and Senate. You and your ilk can skip merrily down the Mall and admire the cherry blossoms while Romney and Company take over the government. It won't matter to you as long as it's not "counterproductive"!!!!

by Anonymousreply 23805/11/2012

As a young guy, Romney liked to bully people.

As an older guy, Romney likes to fire people, which is just bullyng without holding them down and cutting their hair.

by Anonymousreply 23905/11/2012

R68, I think you meant George W. Bush was a bully, not H. W.

by Anonymousreply 24005/11/2012

hump

by Anonymousreply 24105/11/2012

As a young guy, Romney liked to bully people.

As an older guy, Romney likes to fire people, which is just bullyng without holding them down and cutting their hair.

by Anonymousreply 24205/11/2012

"I like to cut hair"

by Anonymousreply 24305/11/2012

[quote]Let's give Romney the benefit of the doubt. So he's mentally retarded. Is that so horrible?

WTF? Is that supposed to be humorous? I've known a lot of mentally retarded people, and very, very few of them are cruel and or bullies.

Most people who are retarded have a genuine sweetness and kindness that comes from the deepest part of their personalities.

The very few mentally retarded people I've known who had a habit of being unkind had, almost without exception, a history of being bullied and abused, and they acted not with innate mean-spiritedness, but with hostility learned as a defense mechanism.

by Anonymousreply 24405/11/2012

It seems that Romney is a real bastard who should never be President.

by Anonymousreply 24505/11/2012

R245. Romney won't ever be president. But he won't ever be president without a fight. So do what you can to prevent him from ever being president.

by Anonymousreply 24605/11/2012

If I saw a button that said, "Remember John Lauber," I would wonder why that name sounded vaguely familiar. That's why it wouldn't be effective. The name is not that well known.

by Anonymousreply 24705/11/2012

[quote]New name: Mitt the Barber

You mean "Sweeney Mitt: the Demon Barber of Cranbrook".

by Anonymousreply 24905/11/2012

[quote]If I saw a button that said, "Remember John Lauber," I would wonder why that name sounded vaguely familiar. That's why it wouldn't be effective. The name is not that well known.

Exactly. That's how it would be today or tomorrow or next week.

Just as that day five months ago when a car appeared at a Romney rally with a dog cage on top of the car. People didn't know what it was about. They do now. Both sides know that in EVERY city where there's a Romney rally that there will be a dog cage caravan. Dog lovers won't let him forget Seamus and dog lovers are making sure other dog lovers know about Seamus.

That's why people "wonder" when you start out and that's how the wondering turns into a campaign strategy. The DINO upthread probably thinks the dog crate caravans are "counterproductive." His methods gave us George W. Bush.

by Anonymousreply 25005/11/2012

damn

by Anonymousreply 25105/11/2012

I think what Sweeney Mitt the Demon Barber did to the teacher was fucked up, but arguably, like Andrew Sullivan said, not bullying - the teacher was an authority figure who could punish back.

by Anonymousreply 25205/11/2012

The thing that also makes this fucked up is that he went around terrorizing people like he knew no one would stop him as the governor's son.

He was like a goddamn joffrey baratheon.

by Anonymousreply 25305/11/2012

I just can hear my Fundie relatives justifying this now around the dinner table at the next family holiday dinner. This will be my bombastic Uncle giving a general lecture for the youngsters as he shovels mashed potatoes onto his plate....

"See, that's how it works - you can get caught up in things when you're young that you shouldn't. Maybe Romney wouldn't have done it if he were a real Christian instead of a Mormon and had the Holy Spirit to guide him. Good thing God has promised to give our leaders special guidance, even when they're not Saved.

But keep in mind how he was tempted into it. It's just another clever way Satan sets his traps. Being Gay is a sad life. Giving in to sin exposes you to all kinds of consequences from the world, including being subject to beatings and bullying. There wouldn't be so much gay-bashing if those people weren't trying to rub everyone's noses in it all the time."

by Anonymousreply 25505/11/2012

r254 you're either really really young and naive, or a complete idiot or both. this story has been vetted and there are at least 5 people who were there (and bullied the kid too) who remember it in detail. the difference is, THEY have empathy and remorse.

by Anonymousreply 25605/11/2012

At last we'll have a president who knows hair styles should be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 25705/11/2012

My co-worker just announced his "resignation" from LCR. He said Obama's statement gave him real pause. And that the Romney Hair-Bear flack was the last straw. I bet he's not the only one.

by Anonymousreply 25805/11/2012

Do your hands get tired typing that on every internet forum you can find, R260, or do you just cut and paste it to save time?

Fuck off, Freeper.

by Anonymousreply 26105/11/2012

[quote]One of the sources who claims to have been traumatized by it admits now he wasn't even there.

Link please. I smell a FART.

by Anonymousreply 26205/11/2012

Just who the fuck did the little turd think he was that he could be the arbiter of what is and isn't right! Maybe we should turn it around and have the majority of the U.S. invade Utah and slaughter the Nazi Mormans because they "aren't right". There is precedent you know. The Mormans slaughtered pioneers bound for California killing men, women and children because they had the nerve to cross Utah to get to their goal. I used to think the Mormans were relatively harmless but the more I read about them the crazier and meaner they become.

by Anonymousreply 26305/11/2012

You seem very upset R259 that your terminology gets tossed back at you. No doubt "counterproductive" is your excuse for doing nothing while Republicans shit all over you.

Many of us are not content to sit back like a DINO waiting for a consensus. We intend to take aim at the history and policies of Republicans with every bit of information that's available.

Just as the dog crates on cars have made a visual impact on the Romney campaign, the John Lauber story needs to be put out there with a visual so that it's not forgotten.

No doubt, r259, the FARTs will love your "counterproductive" meme to be tacked on to anything that would take votes away from Romney. One has to wonder if that's why you emanate the odor of a FART.

by Anonymousreply 26405/11/2012

It seems that Mitt Romney has serious issues.

by Anonymousreply 26605/11/2012

Romney is going to Charlotte today to try to corral all the gay bashers into his camp.

by Anonymousreply 26705/11/2012

[quote]Romney is going to Charlotte today to try to corral all the gay bashers into his camp.

Meanwhile R265 will pass legislation in Congress to stop Romney from going to Charlotte.

by Anonymousreply 26905/11/2012

Lies R258. Stu White was not the primary source for the WaPo article. There were five sources for the article.

by Anonymousreply 27105/11/2012

It seems that Romney was a major jerk in High School.

by Anonymousreply 27205/11/2012

[quote]Has anyone heard from John Lauber? Curious that the man who was the victim of this event hasn't spoken.

Uhm, he died in 2004.

Keep throwing shit against the wall, though. Some of it is sure to stick.

by Anonymousreply 27305/11/2012

Trolldar exposes a fart from R260 on.

by Anonymousreply 27405/11/2012

[quote]Has anyone heard from John Lauber? Curious that the man who was the victim of this event hasn't spoken.

Perhaps you could stand over Lauber's grave to see if you get a message.

by Anonymousreply 27505/11/2012

Lauber's dead r270.

The story is hardly unraveling r268. Nice try. If anything, it's giving people something to think about and discuss. The way you behave at 18 is a pretty good indicator of character.

Your redstate.com link says "This story has obviously been in the works for a while but the news value of it is questionable."

That's hilarious, given the obsession the right has with birth certificates, muslim surnames, Rev Wright, etc. Only none of them stuck, in the same way that bullying fags and dog abuse has.

by Anonymousreply 27605/11/2012

The name John Lauber is not the right way to remind people. A giant pair of scissors or a pile of blond hair would work.

by Anonymousreply 27705/11/2012

[quote]Romney's subsequent actions and statements show he is not homophobic or a bully.

Denying marriage equality to gay people qualifies as homophobic bullying to me.

by Anonymousreply 27805/11/2012

He's a bully, case closed.

by Anonymousreply 27905/11/2012

This explains fully on why he enjoys firing people. This horrible little man should not even be considered as a Presidential front runner.

by Anonymousreply 28005/11/2012

I can't believe you cited fucking redstate as authority for anything.

by Anonymousreply 28105/11/2012

Typical freeper ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 28205/11/2012

The Lauber incident was just mentioned on NPR again. They said Romney is ill prepared to have the media shine an intense light on his past.

by Anonymousreply 28305/11/2012

r270 et al is SUCH a moron!!! "redstate" as a source?

Not aware that Lauber's been dead for years??

What an asshat!!

by Anonymousreply 28405/11/2012

Holding someone down and cutting his hair off against his will is just so cruel -- almost mind-boggling. How could you forget something like like, either the victim of the perpetrators.

I'm sure it was an assault as well.

by Anonymousreply 28505/11/2012

It was discussed by newsmakers on NPR and then it was on the newsbreak on NPR. The newsbreak featured Romeny's voice saying he didn't know the guy was gay. He really sounds totally insincere and that comes across wonderfully.

by Anonymousreply 28605/11/2012

Good heavens! I didn't know the fellow was a homosexual! I thought he was just a sissy boy.

by Anonymousreply 28705/11/2012

As others have confessed on this thread, I was a perpetrator of bullying in the past. I was probably 7 or 8, it was after a Little League game and two older kids were making fun of this kid my age. I joined in -- I can't remember what I said, but it was probably something about his dirty clothes and dirty face -- he seemed poor. I didn't know him, I never saw him again, but I think of that incident all the time, and I am disgusted, and embarrassed, and terribly, terribly sorry for my actions.

If that man now came forward and related that incident -- or to make it more relevant to Romney's situation, the other two guys came forward and related it -- I would fall all over myself apologizing and talking about what a horrible thing it was.

What does Romney say? "I don't remember it. But if anyone was offended, I apologize."

It's not so much what he did back then, it's what he did yesterday, with his non-apology apology and his refusal to acknowledge the gravity of the situation. The man is a full-blown narcissist, if not a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 28805/11/2012

He actually said "we" didn't "know about" homosexuality in the 1960s.

SUCH bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 28905/11/2012

and, r288, you were 8 or 9!

When you are 18, your character is pretty well formed. Not fully mature, but 'there'.

To assault someone who's defenseless, as Romney did, is the definition of bullying. He did this at the end of his senior year. What grade was Lauber in at the time?

At 18 this behavior is borderline sociopathic. In some states I'm sure it would land you in juvenile detention. it's ASSAULT.

Romney is like a clone of GWB. Spoiled, reckless, protected. His father seemed much more mature, reasonable, and statesmanlike.

by Anonymousreply 29005/11/2012

...actually GWB, in retrospect and comparison to Romney, seems like a mensch!

by Anonymousreply 29105/11/2012

I think what Romney did was unusually cruel, but still within the bounds of teenage foolishness. It is the lack of genuine remorse and refusal to admit responsibility that is deeply unsettling.

by Anonymousreply 29205/11/2012

[quote]Holding someone down and cutting his hair off against his will is just so cruel -- almost mind-boggling. How could you forget something like like, either the victim of the perpetrators.

Does anyone remember in Topchef when Cliff held Marcel down, in attempt to shave his hair off? Well, that was assault, and Cliff was quickly taken out of the show.

by Anonymousreply 29305/11/2012

R290 I read a story yesterday that related a story of W Bush standing up for a gay classmate at Yale in the 1960s. As opposed to dear ol Mitts...

by Anonymousreply 29405/11/2012

Lulz

by Anonymousreply 29505/11/2012

I recently went to a 35 year grammar school reunion and made a blanket apology because, although I had been the victim of abuse (thrown in trash cans), I had used my "wit" to say things that were cruel about some of my classmates. As I saw them, I immediately thought of those things (nothing like what Romney did) and felt guilty. Weirdly enough some of my "victims" didn't even remember them.

by Anonymousreply 29605/11/2012

so the victim got kicked out of school for smoking, yet nothing happened to Romney for attacking and assaulting the kid?

wow.

by Anonymousreply 29705/11/2012

And now he's on the republican ticket.

by Anonymousreply 29805/11/2012

"smoking" is the official story only

by Anonymousreply 29905/11/2012

I told you Romney was like GWB only worse.

by Anonymousreply 30005/11/2012

Yes, but Bush had some type of epiphany in his life and became a much more gracious human being as an older man. Romney keeps coming across as mean spirited at best; a sociopath at worse. Remember, he recently allows an openly gay man on his staff to be drummed out, not because of poor performance but because of his sexual orientation. This shows no growth at all.

by Anonymousreply 30105/11/2012

Romney claims he doesn't remember the incident. According to CNN, bullies tend to never remember any incidents.

by Anonymousreply 30205/11/2012

Nonsense, GWB has not gotten better, he just is better at hiding it than he used to be. He is still a bad man, it's just that Romney is worse.

by Anonymousreply 30305/11/2012

If he can't remember something as despicable as that, you know it was just another day at the office for him.

by Anonymousreply 30405/11/2012

[quote]so the victim got kicked out of school for smoking, yet nothing happened to Romney for attacking and assaulting the kid?

Probably because of Romney's damn classy looks that allowed him to get away with the bullying.

by Anonymousreply 30505/11/2012

So, Mitt Romney has short term memory?

by Anonymousreply 30605/11/2012

I believe the victim of Romney's abuse is dead (presumably not because of Romney).

His family doesn't want him used as a political pawn.

by Anonymousreply 30705/11/2012

R307, who knows what his relationship was with his family?

by Anonymousreply 30805/11/2012

A Straight guy weighs in:

Posted by Ted Rall on Friday, May 11, 2012 at 12:44 pm

A few random thoughts about the Romney bullying story:

First, this story probably has legs. It frames an unpleasant narrative about Mitt Romney’s personality: Not only do his politics suck, he’s an asshole. Personally. The kind of asshole who abuses his pets. Who takes over profitable companies and bleeds them dry, leaving people jobless for no good reason. Who mutilates someone because he’s different. Faggy. In the same way that the story about George H.W. Bush being surprised about a supermarket scanner made him seem out-of-touch during a recession, the Romney bullying story has the potential to make him seem unlikeable in a way that he will have a very hard counteracting.

And we’re not just talking about bullying: shoving, punching, etc. This sounds almost rape-y: a long-haired boy held down to the ground by several boys as one hacks off his hair. Primal.

It doesn’t matter whether the story is even true: the image fits. It works. That’s the problem. And Romney didn’t help with his response: calling the victim a “fellow.” Who uses the word “fellow” in 2012? A “homosexual”? Who uses that word, either? He should have either denied the story entirely, or said something like this:

[quote]I did lots of stupid shit when I was a kid. I was kind of wild. Man, I sure wish I could take most of it back. If I could go back in time, I would catch myself being an asshole and beat the shit out of myself. All I can say now is, I am a fervent defender of the oppressed, including gays, and even though I don’t think marriage is a good idea for gays and lesbians, I view them as absolute equals in all ways and will always fight for them and every other American.

Obama has got to be laughing his ass off.

On another note, it’s very cool that bullying has become so uncool. When I was a kid, often victimized by bullies, no one gave a shit. This is progress.

by Anonymousreply 30905/11/2012

I simply thought of this

by Anonymousreply 31005/11/2012

Anyone who doesn't believe in karma needs to give pause.

by Anonymousreply 31105/11/2012

I love how the very people saying "Why don't we talk about real issues? Why are we talking about Mitt during his HS days" are the very people who are O B S E S S E D with the very birth of the current president.

by Anonymousreply 31205/11/2012

[quote]Yes, but Bush had some type of epiphany in his life and became a much more gracious human being as an older man.

Agreed.

You know when he really showed grave? When he did that bit where he was looking for WMDs under his desk because that PNAC war which took the lives of hundreds of thousands of innocent people and maimed thousands more was hilarious!

Apathetic idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 31305/11/2012

I still can't believe more isn't being made about an 18-year old Romney leading a blind teacher to smack himself into a door.

I have a friend who is blind, and he has shown me how, in order to just get by, he is literally dependent on the kindess of strangers, in a way that the rest of us sighted people really can't imagine.

I can think of few examples of such loathsome behavior as humiliating and degrading a blind person. A teacher no less, who had to face this pampered, sociopathic jackass on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 31405/11/2012

For anyone saying that Shitt Romney should just have some sort of mea culpa moment "admit" that he bullied--and that he's sorry...That is NEVER going to happen.

Romney is a scummy, lying fraud. He will never own up to his cruelty. As far as he'll go is to call them "pranks" and say he's sorry "if they hurt anyone." In other words, sorry I got caught.

The only reason that Romney admitted to the Seamus the dog/roof of car incident is that Romney's son is the one who originally told the story, and Romney cannot dispute his sons's story and say it didn't happen or that he doesn't remember.

by Anonymousreply 31505/11/2012

poor seamus.

poor lauber.

by Anonymousreply 31605/11/2012

It's back on NPR right now. Three people discussing it on All Things Considered.

by Anonymousreply 31805/11/2012

The 'didn't know he was gay' stuff I take in historical context. Not to excuse any of this, but what I think Mitt was hinting at is that back then people like him in high school might not have even had the conceptual category of gay as minority. A very 'don't know about, don't want to see it' broader culture. I think Mitt singled this person out because he was different and presented himself differently. He was a queer, a freak, a weirdo. That was a completely socially acceptable box to throw people in. Still is?

It's not essential to me if John Lauber was gay or not. We're talking about assault. Forcibly cutting anyone's hair (and doing it at any age) is way past pranks or schoolyard antics.

by Anonymousreply 31905/11/2012

he was gay, though. it is totally relevant.

by Anonymousreply 32005/11/2012

R314 - that's a new one on me. You bet I'd like to see that pushed harder.

by Anonymousreply 32105/11/2012

It was a hate crime.

by Anonymousreply 32205/11/2012

I'm not saying it's not relevant. I just think it's a terrible thing for anyone to go through.

Not trying to complicate this. I think we all agree the man is a complete asshole.

by Anonymousreply 32305/11/2012

we're not talking about the 20s or 30s.

It was the 1960s and EVERYONE knew what 'queer' meant.

by Anonymousreply 32405/11/2012

Especially at an all-boy's school.

by Anonymousreply 32505/11/2012

R260,

Take your head out of your ass and read this month's Vanity Fair.

For a start.

by Anonymousreply 32605/11/2012

Well, after reading R270 I'm sure that the Republican social media paid trolls are on the case and will infect the entire thread.

It's obvious they haven't read the story or thread - see R270 - they've just used a keyword search to find this site / thread to post in an effort to do damage control and chaos.

by Anonymousreply 32705/11/2012

R280,

Actually, holding a person down and cutting their hair against their will is Battery.

Assault would be telling him what you're going to do just before or while you're doing it.

by Anonymousreply 32805/11/2012

sorry - previous post defining Battery was in response to R285, not R280.

by Anonymousreply 32905/11/2012

Mitt playing dumb about whether or not his classmate was gay because "it was the '60s and we weren't thinking about those things" is another fucking Romney lie.

I'm younger than Mitt, but I grew up in the '60s too. For the bullys of that era, targeting the "lesser" among us and the more vulnerable gay kids was very much on the minds of the straight asshole bullies--Mitt being one. Mitt knew exactly what he was doing.

by Anonymousreply 33005/11/2012

r321, from OP's Washington Post link. I heard the teacher described as blind elsewhere, could be he was losing his eyesight at the time:

Teachers were also the butt of Romney’s brand of humor.

One venerable English teacher, Carl G. Wonn­berger, nicknamed “the Bat” for his diminished eyesight, was known to walk into the trophy case and apologize, step into wastepaper baskets and stare blindly as students slipped out the back of the room to smoke by the open windows. Once, several students remembered the time pranksters propped up the back axle of Wonnberger’s Volkswagen Beetle with two-by-fours and watched, laughing from the windows, as the unwitting teacher slammed the gas pedal with his wheels spinning in the air.

As an underclassman, Romney accompanied Wonnberger and Pierce Getsinger, another student, from the second floor of the main academic building to the library to retrieve a book the two boys needed. According to Getsinger, Romney opened a first set of doors for Wonnberger, but then at the next set, with other students around, he swept his hand forward, bidding the teacher into a closed door. Wonnberger walked right into it and Getsinger said Romney giggled hysterically as the teacher shrugged it off as another of life’s indignities.

by Anonymousreply 33105/11/2012

I agree with a previous post...move from the gay bullying aspect of this story and focus on pushing a blind teacher into a door.

You want to imagine cold, heartless cruelty, think about Mitt mistreating someone who is blind. If you had a blind teacher in high school, you'd remember it.

Yeah, that practical joker, Mitt. Can't get much funnier than a prank on a blind guy.

by Anonymousreply 33205/11/2012

"And who didn't do stupid things in high school?"

This is not stupid. This is cruel. Especially at 18 when one should have matured a bit.

Drinking too much and barfing at Prom is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 33305/11/2012

I know I'm going to hell, but that story in R331 made me giggle.

And totally on a tangent, --

How could that guy drive if he was blind as a bat?

by Anonymousreply 33405/11/2012

If this story focussed on the blind or semi-blind teacher being pushed through the doors by Mitt, not even Fox News would be able to defend this asshole.

So Mitt, you didn't know if your classmate were gay. Well, did you know that the teacher was blind? Or are you blind too? Do you recall that?

by Anonymousreply 33505/11/2012

David Letterman hasn't let his audience forget the dog on the roof.

It would be nice to have someone who is a big draw on TV to make sure Romney's hate crime/gay bashing doesn't go away.

by Anonymousreply 33605/11/2012

I think he was going blind. They don't really provide a timeline, but i'm guessing the car prank happened years before they made him walk into a door. If he couldn't see a door in front of him, i doubt he was in any condition to drive, by that point.

It's hard to imagine the strength of character that man must have had, to endure what he did, knowing he could be subject to these curel indignities at any time. That, in addition to the heartbreak of losing his eyesight.

Romney's behavior is just unthinkable.

by Anonymousreply 33705/11/2012

Richard Wolfe on Rev. Al emphasizing the mistreatment of the blind teacher...

by Anonymousreply 33805/11/2012

Good point, R328. Putting aside the moral & ethical issue involved for a moment, what Romney and the others did was battery and against the law.

People should be reminded of that.

by Anonymousreply 33905/11/2012

R339. But, but, but, I don't recall. Hehehehehe. Hahahahaha. If I laugh nervously, it doesn't really seem so bad, now does it?

by Anonymousreply 34005/11/2012

[quote]the victim of Romney's abuse is dead (presumably not because of Romney).

Liver cancer.

His life synopsis is in one of the links in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 34105/11/2012

R319, I've been hearing that all my life. Then I find an old diary where they talk about gays. Or I meet a friend that they stopped talking to when they found out they were gay. Or an old friend brings up some issue regarding gay sexuality regarding someone they both knew. I've never known the claim "I didn't know what a homosexual was" to be true. I think it was a very big part of defining the acceptable limits of "normal" culture in the 1940s and 1950s and 1960s. Indeed the army made recruits all watch films describing the homosexual as mentally ill during World War II. All of them saw it, and so none of the veterans can plead ignorance on this subject. I'd wager they still did this in Korea and possibly Vietnam as well.

by Anonymousreply 34205/11/2012

[quote] And who didn't do stupid things in high school?

If the things Mittens did were examples of "stupid things" then I didn't, neither did anyone I know. Doing anything like that would at the very least have gotten you suspended. These days you'd be facing expulsion and criminal charges.

by Anonymousreply 34305/11/2012

And he doesn't remember straddling a student and cutting his hair, but everyone else there does? So what we have is a man with no conscience, no soul.

by Anonymousreply 34405/11/2012

"Stupid things" "practical jokes" "pranks" "hijinks"

Wow, all the euphemisms for bullying, cruelty, assualt and battery and verbal assualt.

Romney pushed a blind or partially blind teacher into a door or through door so as to disorient or ridicule him? He cut off a suspected gay classmate's hair?

These aren't stupid things or pranks. They are are heartless cruelty, abusive behavorial problems and potentially petty crimes--all by the rich fratboy on campus.

by Anonymousreply 34505/11/2012

[quote]all by the rich fratboy on campus

Not a fratboy quite yet. This was boarding school. And they were all rich.

by Anonymousreply 34605/11/2012

R346. You overlook the larger point of R345. Romney appears to have been the ringleader of this abusive bullying, even if he weren't quite a fratboy yet.

But nice try defending this asshole.

by Anonymousreply 34705/11/2012

Oh sorry wasn't defending him by any means of the imagination.

by Anonymousreply 34805/11/2012

This incident should make Willard Scissorhands unelectable.

by Anonymousreply 34905/11/2012

I did some stupid things at that age including some bullying (shit rolls downhill), though most of it was verbal.

As an adult, I am embarassed and ashamed of my behavior. And I am sorry to those I hurt.

That is really all Mittens had to say about this. He could have made this go away by saying:

"Yes, I remember the incident. I did a lot of stupid things as a young man. Looking back, I am embarassed and ashamed of my actions. I am sorry and apologize to all whom my actions hurt."

Instead, he lies about remembering it, diminishes it by calling it a "prank" and gives the infamous "non-apology" apology (which I have also used when I wasn't really sorry about something).

He really is a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 35005/11/2012

R350. Romney will NEVER admit that he did this. He has no character; he has no conscience. Lying comes much more easily to him. It's easier to say "I don't recall" "I engaged in pranks" than to admit anything and risk losing even one vote should one of his supporters wake up and realize that this guy is nothing but a cruel, heartless fraud.

There will be no contrition--not even in the slightest. He's a mean, cold bastard.

Of course he remembers what he did. His nondenial denial gave him away.

by Anonymousreply 35105/11/2012

Matthew Shepard's mother was just on MSNBC talking about this.

She doesn't think it's a good thing that Mitt seems to have forgotten about it.

by Anonymousreply 35205/11/2012

For a guy supposedly devoted to his religion, Romney sure does lie almost every time he opens his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 35305/11/2012

[quote]She (Matthew Shepard's mother) doesn't think it's a good thing that Mitt seems to have forgotten about it.

He hasn't forgotten. He lied.

by Anonymousreply 35405/11/2012

[quote]For a guy supposedly devoted to his religion, Romney sure does lie almost every time he opens his mouth.

Mormons lie. That's what they do to get to their #1 goal --- wealth. Never trust anyone in the Mormon cult.

by Anonymousreply 35505/11/2012

I liked him better when he was just a robot-cypher in a business suit. Now he's a real person, and it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 35605/11/2012

As Andrew Sullivan said, he's either a liar or extraordinarily callous.

by Anonymousreply 35705/11/2012

word

by Anonymousreply 35805/11/2012

Why wasn't he prosecuted?

by Anonymousreply 35905/11/2012

Fuck Mitt Romney! Hell. My late grandmother was blind as in white cane using, Ray Ban sunglasses wearing, braille reading, mother fucking blind. If someone lead her into a closed door on purpose and she so much as told me I would have beat the hell out of the person who did it.

My God. And he gathered up some of his classmates in order to track down, pin down, and cut the hair back of a young gay man? Shit! And the young gay man was the student who got kicked out of the school for smoking!?

That happened to me as well. The one time I (a Lesbian) stood up to the gals who bullied me in high school I was suspended for a week and the bullies were not disciplined at all. It is the out of sight out of mind mentality is what it is.

A vote for Romney is a vote for what? That is what I want to know. This man hasn't any empathy. No empathy at all. He cannot relate to anyone or anything past his own limited and I would dare say pampered narrow world view.

by Anonymousreply 36005/11/2012

When I was in 8th grad my parents sent me and my sisters to a Baptist school supposedly with a good reputation. We lasted a year there and then back to public school.

But while there I was partially indoctrinated in the born-again mindset, and carried a little bit over back to 9th grade.

Just to be mean, I told a Jewish friend of mine (who had shown me my first porno movie -- a b/w masterpiece cslled His Tool, Her Tool Box) that because he was Jewish and not Christian, he was going to hell.

I regretted it the moment I said it, and regret it to this day, decades later.

I don't know how it affected him, but we were never really friends again after that. It's one of a small handful of things I regret saying or doing.

by Anonymousreply 36105/11/2012

[quote]A vote for Romney is a vote for what?

Wall Street, the Likud Party and every other asset-grubbing bully on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 36205/11/2012

The legal analysts in the media should be pointing out that Mitt Romney should have been prosecuted for criminal battery for holding someone down and cutting his hair off.

by Anonymousreply 36305/11/2012

Five of Romney's classmates interviewed by The Washington Post remember this bullying incident and Romney doesn't remember?

Bullies hardly ever remember. Or do they?

by Anonymousreply 36405/11/2012

I don't remember worked for Reagan when he was questioned about Iran-Contra. I'm sure Romney's people are hoping it will work as well for him.

by Anonymousreply 36505/11/2012

The other bit of insight into his character is that his daddy was governor at the time of the same state the school was in, right?

So he could swagger around like Joffrey baratheon with no fear of consequences and no one taught him any better. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 36605/11/2012

[quote]The 'didn't know he was gay' stuff I take in historical context. Not to excuse any of this, but what I think Mitt was hinting at is that back then people like him in high school might not have even had the conceptual category of gay as minority. A very 'don't know about, don't want to see it' broader culture. I think Mitt singled this person out because he was different and presented himself differently. He was a queer, a freak, a weirdo. That was a completely socially acceptable box to throw people in. Still is?

Sorry, but Romney's purported defense -- no one even thought about gays back then -- is complete and utter bullshit. I went to grade school and high school on Long Island in the 1960s and early 1970s. They knew. I was bullied and called "pansy," "queer," "limp-wrist," and "fag." If those fuckers who bullied me knew about gays -- regardless of whether they used that term -- you can bet that Shitt Romney and his band of thugs knew precisely that was why they were deriding and assaulting Lauber.

by Anonymousreply 36705/11/2012

R366, they should also tie this into the fact that Romney just happened to be allowed to hide out in France for several years and dodge the Vietnam draft when thousands of Romney's generation were being sent overseas.

by Anonymousreply 36805/11/2012

I still feel guilty for laughing at somebody when they told me they were majoring in photography.

I truly believe Romney is a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 36905/12/2012

Link please, r370.

by Anonymousreply 37105/12/2012

If it's not true why would all these other guys say it is?

by Anonymousreply 37205/12/2012

Freepers feigning to be idiots never provide links, R370. You should know that by now.

by Anonymousreply 37305/12/2012

Why would some of the other guys involved have sought out the victim to apologize to him? I don't believe it isn't true.

by Anonymousreply 37405/12/2012

I truly hope R370 dies in a grease fire. Tonight.

That is not what Dauber's family, i.e., his sister, said. And there's no reason to believe that a teenaged boy would tell his older sister about such a humiliating experience.

Die, you sick fuck.

by Anonymousreply 37505/12/2012

R370. The family may be protecting their dead relative's memory--for whatever reason.

Romney nearly admitted to it by saying he participated in "pranks" and "hijinks that might have gone too far." Romney is just covering himself by saying he "doesn't recall."

Also, The Washington Post interviewed the five other guys independently, and they all say it happened.

Who do you believe? You believe the five guys who were there. The dead guy's family was not there.

by Anonymousreply 37605/12/2012

It's unfortunate the guy isn't here. Wish he had taken better care of himself and hadn't died of liver cancer. That may sound critical, but that's the way it is. It would have helped to take Romney down.

by Anonymousreply 37705/12/2012

Yeah well Poppy Bush doesn't recall where he was when JFK was shot.

by Anonymousreply 37805/12/2012

While I wish Lauber were still alive for his sake, that would make the story worse. The media would be focusing on him, i.e., is he a liar? Does he have AIDS? Since he never said a word and is dead, there's no way to spin this into an attack on Lauber. Rove must be fucking furious that itsullying the memory of the dead can't help him here.

by Anonymousreply 37905/12/2012

I've been thinking the same thing, R379. If they thought they could gain anything by posthumously dragging his name through the mud, they would do it. Surprisingly, they seem to realize it would only make them look worse.

by Anonymousreply 38005/12/2012

That's because he may have had peripheral connections to the assassination, R378.

Check out Russ Baker's "Family of Secrets".

by Anonymousreply 38105/12/2012

r370?

Link???

by Anonymousreply 38205/12/2012

Gems seen on Twitter: "The Demon Barber of Cranbrook" and "Willard Scissorhands"

by Anonymousreply 38305/12/2012

This is the Washington Post's Ombudsman response to alleged factual inaccuracies of the Mitt Romney Young Prankster Profile:

“Mr. Lauber’s (the involuntary hair-cut victim's) family said in a statement that they were ‘aggrieved that John would be used to further a political agenda,’ Parker wrote in her story. In a tweet she also wrote that the family said “ ‘The portrayal of John is factually incorrect,’ but they would not elaborate on how it was inaccurate.”

Jason Horowitz talked to all three of John Lauber’s sisters for the story and carefully explained to them what the story was about, Merida said.

The Post has received no specific complaint of inaccuracy from the Lauber family, Merida said. “We stand by the story. It’s a full portrait. It’s the story of Mitt Romney’s years at Cranbrook.”

“Our intention with this story and future stories about both Mitt Romney and President Obama is to give people the fullest possible portrait of the men who are running for president. We will continue to explore their biographies, their decision-making, and their full lives.”

by Anonymousreply 38405/12/2012

That's different. It means they don't want the memory of their obviously troubled, wandering, sad gay brother tarnished in death. NOT that what Romney did to him didn't happen.

In other words they did not say it was untrue. Lying sack of crap 370.

by Anonymousreply 38505/12/2012

Dear Washington Post:

Barack Obama IS President. He is running for re-election.

Mitt Romney. Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 38605/12/2012

The sisters may be upset because

(1) Their dead brother is now being used as a cudgel in a national political discussion/fight;

(2) The story gives you a portrait of their brother as a gayish outsider-victim from 50 years ago, and they may see his life as so much more than that. (The article is not about the entire life of the victim, but they may hate that snapshot portrayal of him anyway.)

(3) Summary Paraphrase: Keep my dead brother and our family out of this.

by Anonymousreply 38705/12/2012

R385, it doesn't even mean "they." If Horowitz spoke to all three sisters as contributors, it probably means it's the parents.

Fuck, my Catholic, conservative, homophobic parents would do the same to me. Parents don't always know their children as well as or even better than everybody else.

by Anonymousreply 38805/12/2012

exactly r388. they want to protect his memory, but again, what romney did to their brother is not in dispute.

by Anonymousreply 38905/12/2012

Ann Romney provides information on this story (prior to it being released). She was anxious for America to see her husband as the "fun guy" she knew when they were young:

"He's stiff? He's not," Ann said smiling, grabbing a laughing Mitt by the shoulders. "It's an interesting thing that again, people like to keep him in that narrative. So it's nice for me as a wife to say 'no, look, this is the person that's really there, this is the boy that I knew.'

"I still look at him as the boy I met in high school when he was playing all the jokes and really just being crazy," Ann said with Mitt by her side in an interview on "CBS This Morning" Tuesday. "There's a wild and crazy man inside there."

by Anonymousreply 39005/12/2012

Maybe the sisters support Romney as a candidate and don't want to do anything to hurt his chances. Their family are probably also 1 percenters.

by Anonymousreply 39105/12/2012

Jesus H. Christ. The story is as well-sourced and researched as news stories get. 5 different people confirmed it.

by Anonymousreply 39505/12/2012

[quote]There's really no other way to take this other than the story is false.

[bold]They did NOT say the incident is false.[/bold] They said information about the portrayal of their brother is factually incorrect. They did not deny the incident.

Since you choose to lie about it, R394, no doubt we can figure that you're either a Mormon or a Rethuglicunt -- liars, all of them!!!!

by Anonymousreply 39605/12/2012

[quote]There's really no other way to take this other than the story is false. They better come out and elaborate.

I think we can take this as the family being upset about their son/brother being portrayed as a sad, lonely, marginalised man who never amounted to very much and died relatively young.

I agree that, if they were sending their son to an elite private school, they are probably 1%ers and most likely republicans. I wonder how long it took the rethugs to find them and persuade them to spin it in that direction?

by Anonymousreply 39705/12/2012

Yeah, I mean who's in a better position to know what happened that day:

- five independent eyewitnesses who actually saw the event, OR

- family members such as sisters who would never have been at the all-male boarding school in question?

by Anonymousreply 39805/12/2012

As earlier posters said, the family did not debunk the incident. I can imagine they don't want their brother remembered as a victim, but as someone who led a full life.

by Anonymousreply 39905/12/2012

I'm surprised the "blind person into a wall" story isn't getting as much coverage. What a cruel asshole.

These things speak to his character. His age is not a defense because look at what he has done as an adult. Look at the profession he chose. Look at what he did to his dog.

This is a man who grew up privileged and instead of using it to help others, he has chosen to treat anyone and everyone who is in some way vulnerable with ridicule, disdain or apathy.

The rightwing attacked Obama for what school he went to as a child, so they need to STFU about pretending they haven't dissected every single thing about Obama from the moment he was born.

I have the urge to have the word "Hypocrisy" tattooed onto my fists just so I can punch these assholes in the face.

by Anonymousreply 40005/12/2012

R319, Romney's high school friends who participated in or witnessed the incident said John Lauber was perpetually teased for his "nonconformity and presumed homosexuality."

If the four other people who went on record about the incident said Lauber was perceived to be a homosexual, it defies credibility for Romney to say people didn't think in those terms then.

BTW, to the several people in this thread who have asked why Romney wasn't held to account for his actions: he was the governor's son. Duh.

And as to John Lauber being thrown out "because someone saw him smoking a cigarette," the story about the blind teacher includes the information that students smoked outside the blind teacher's classroom, apparently believing a blind man couldn't smell.

Thus the notion that John Lauber was the only teenage boy who smoked at the school has no credibility.

Every student, teacher and administrator at the school must have known all about Romney's attack on Lauber, and thus those in power wanted to get rid of a kid who was perceived to be gay and who was the victim of the governor's son's rage and hate.

by Anonymousreply 40105/12/2012

[quote]BTW, to the several people in this thread who have asked why Romney wasn't held to account for his actions: he was the governor's son. Duh.

it is unlikely that anyone told the school authorities about the incident. Ratting on fellow students would have just made Lauber's life worse.

by Anonymousreply 40205/12/2012

[quote]The man who Romney reportedly bashed, his family says that this story is not true, and that he'd be livid about it.

R370, John Lauber's surviving family consists of two sisters.

So we're to assume that because he didn't come home from a boarding school where he'd been humiliated, bullied, and ultimated expelled and tell his sisters about the time the governor's son, the wrestling champion and their friends attacked him, held him down, and butchered his hair off, it didn't happen?

I was bullied, harassed, threatened, sneered at, and made fun of a thousand times in junior high and high school, and no one in my family has ever heard one word about it.

My mother knows about the time I was suspended from school for a week and in seventh grade for acknowledging to a friend I was indeed a queer, but my sister and brother and other family members don't know a thing about it.

So despite his family's assertion he'd be livid about it, the man who spoke to him in an airport and apologized for not doing something to stop the attack had a very different account of Lauber's reaction.

by Anonymousreply 40305/12/2012

Anecdotes of blind teacher Carl G. Wonn­berger by an alum at link.

"Late spring, Bermuda shorts had just been permitted by our keepers. Albeit with long socks. So we looked like modern-day post office deliverers, or more romantically, some sort of proper British desert explorer or military types. Anyway, Carl thought we had all become completely gay. He waved his handkerchief our way. Chided us. The word 'pansy' crossed his lips as I recall. It got more intense each day. One day, he decided to join us and dropped his trousers and continued teaching in his boxers, shirt-tails flying with the garters for his socks so glaringly evident. More amazement, hilarity, even a kind of joy I think at the reality of this obviously gifted, while very weird, and gentle, man. "

So this indicates that 1) of course they knew about gays then, and 2) even the blind teacher enjoyed mocking gays.

I still think that even though this teacher apparently had a few screws loose, he didn't deserve to be humiliated. As my mom would say: Two wrongs don't make a right.

The teacher actually sounds (and looks) like he might've been a closet case himself.

by Anonymousreply 40405/12/2012

Another pic of teacher. Hmmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 40505/12/2012

[quote]it is unlikely that anyone told the school authorities about the incident. Ratting on fellow students would have just made Lauber's life worse.

Oh, come on. The outsider gay kid with bleached hair at a boarding school gets attacked by the governor's son and his friends and has to go around with hacked-up hair until he can go away and come back with a buzz cut and brown hair, and the faculty, staff, and administrators didn't know about it?

Besides, the article states about one of Romney's friends: "Friedemann, guilt ridden, made a point of not talking about it with his friend and waited to see what form of discipline would befall Romney at the famously strict institution. Nothing happened."

School administrators knew every detail of what happened, but they weren't going to discipline the governor's son for attacking a homo kid who didn't fit in. Instead, they got rid of the queer.

There are countless stories just like it even today, where school officials turn a blind eye to bullying. That's why the anti-bullying campaign exists, after all, because school officials so often refuse to take action on behalf of kids who are gay or perceived to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 40605/12/2012

From ABC News:

The victim, John Lauber, is dead now, but The Washington Post reported when it broke the story that he was "perpetually teased for his nonconformity and presumed homosexuality" and screamed for help. Though he eventually left the school — kicked out for smoking a cigarette while Romney was not punished — indications are Lauber simply endured, as many of today's victims are forced to do despite the flood of anti-bullying campaigns in schools and out, advocates said.

by Anonymousreply 40705/12/2012

R406, I think it is probably worse than that. I think the school officials were behind it.

by Anonymousreply 40805/12/2012

401: Thank you. I read your post and thought "ah, someone else feels the same way."

Let's use our logic here. The boys smoked at the school. Please--I went to an all boy's Catholic high school, and half of us smoked for the simple reason that it was "cool" and "rebellious." Lauber was not expelled for smoking. What nonsense. 401 is right: The school found a reason to get rid of him.

I find the sisters very suspect. They think that (a)the story is false (despite more than one source who can confirm it), and feel their brother would be "livid" if he was alive. I would be very curious to learn about the relationship between Lauber and his sisters.

Also, is there anyone on the planet who would believe that this behavior happened only to Lauber? Is there anyone here, there, on a Mormon planet, who thinks that Romney targeted Lauber only once? No way. It went on all the time, and finally went out of control that one day.

Romney was that fucking thug in high school who always bothered you. If you walked by him, he would wave a limp wrist at you. He was the guy who blew kisses at you from across the classroom while other guys laughed. He was the guy who told the teacher in gym class that you were not in uniform since "he's not in a dress." The constant pain in the ass, and please pay attention to word "constant." He never left you alone. You got on his radar and you stayed there. All year.

If you think that he will not bully gay and lesbian people if he gets elected you are as fucking sick as he is.

by Anonymousreply 40905/12/2012

Romney is a liar. He reduced his high school behavior as "pranks" and "hijinks." Who the hell even talks like that or uses those words anymore? No one--except someone trying to cover up the fact that he tormented, abused and bullied a weaker, more vulnerable classmate.

And no, chances are that the abused student didn't tell his family, but instead, quietly endured this humiliation until he left entitled Mitt and his band of bullies.

by Anonymousreply 41005/12/2012

Let's go over this one more time.

The sisters are NOT saying this didn't happen. In fact they agree it did.

They are saying their brother is being remembered incorrectly. Maybe they are homophobes and simply trying to keep him in the closet even in death.

by Anonymousreply 41105/12/2012

R409. Great point. Romney's abuse was constant. You don't just tackle someone down and cut their hair out of the blue. That act was the culmination of daily, constant abuse. Life must have been sheer hell for the abused kid.

And yet Romney remembers none of it except to call his behavior a "prank." But curiously, the other five guys involved in this abuse remember it well enough to go on the record with The Washington Post.

Romney knows exactly what he did and the entitled, dismissive, bully now with money that he became today.

by Anonymousreply 41205/12/2012

The sisters are only saying their brother would not have like being portrayed as a loser because he drifted around the world doing different jobs - because apparently he was good at everything he did and he was smart enough to get into a good college despite his wandering ways. Nonetheless he died young, probably because he had no health insurance.

by Anonymousreply 41305/12/2012

r399, I'd say Lauber led a fuller and certainly far more interesting life than Mitt Romney has.

by Anonymousreply 41405/12/2012

[quote]Is there anyone here, there, on a Mormon planet, who thinks that Romney targeted Lauber only once? No way. It went on all the time, and finally went out of control that one day.

Yes, there's also an account, in one of the related stories in the Wash Post's spread about Romney's Cranbook years, that says another student, who is alive and eventually came out, said every time he opened his mouth in class to answer a question or participate in the discussion, Romney would say, "Attagirl."

Because the public response has focused almost exclusively on the John Lauber incident, no one has pointed out that in context with this other gay student, Romney had a habit of harrassing boys he thought were gay, as well as anyway he perceived to be weak (the blind teacher).

Jesus fucking Christ, can you imagine what a prick he was, saying "Attagirl," every time the kid answered a question in class?

It sounds like John Lauber and the other kid and the blind teacher are only three of his victims. It wouldn't surprise me if more people don't come out of the woodwork to tell what a smug belittling jerk he was.

by Anonymousreply 41505/12/2012

he still is a smug belittling jerk

by Anonymousreply 41605/12/2012

[quote] It wouldn't surprise me if more people don't come out of the woodwork to tell what a smug belittling jerk he was.

It would surprise me because Cranbrook sounds like the typical incubator for growing rethug 1%ers. Most of them wouldn't say anything that would cripple the republican chances for gaining the White House.

by Anonymousreply 41705/12/2012

[quote]Jesus fucking Christ, can you imagine what a prick he was, saying "Attagirl," every time the kid answered a question in class?

Imagine handing that entitled prick the presidency.

Imagine the shitheads who claim they believe in old-fashioned hard work defending Dubya and THIS guy.

by Anonymousreply 41805/12/2012

"Attagirl." And that's why Romney seems never to have developed a personality or sense of humor.

Romney's personality appears to consist of tormenting others, feeling superior and getting laughs at others' expense.

Even Romney's friends after a while must have thought, "Jesus Christ, what have we created; this guy is a fucking asshole."

by Anonymousreply 41905/12/2012

Exactly, R416: "Did you get these cookies at 7-11?"

by Anonymousreply 42005/12/2012

The more I know about Mitt, the more I hate his cowardly, self-entitled self. Total asshole!

by Anonymousreply 42105/12/2012

He's a shitstain on the pages of U.S. history, not unlike G.W. Bush. He's got the money behind him to buy his way into the Oval Office.

by Anonymousreply 42205/12/2012

It's completely laughable that anyone would find him suitable for the presidency.

by Anonymousreply 42305/12/2012

[quote]It's completely laughable that anyone would find him suitable for the presidency.

Same thinking that people had about George W. Bush. Still think it's laughable?

by Anonymousreply 42405/12/2012

Yes, I think it's laughable.

What's not so laughable is that GWB was handed the presidency by the supreme court in 2000. Also that he squeaked in again in 2004 probably due to vote-counting chicanery in OH and FL.

So, it's laughable, but i'm crying as i type.

by Anonymousreply 42505/12/2012

[quote]he squeaked in again in 2004 probably due to vote-counting chicanery in OH and FL.

Diebold voting machines, not just in OH and FL.

by Anonymousreply 42605/12/2012

I'm late catching up on this thread after a couple of days. This has me in fits:

[quote]LOL -- if you go to Google search and start typing "Romney," the first three entries are Romney dog roof Romney bully Romney dog

by Anonymousreply 42705/12/2012

Happily, Dave Letterman keeps the dog story going.

by Anonymousreply 42805/12/2012

[quote]"I still look at him as the boy I met in high school when he was playing all the jokes and really just being crazy," Ann said with Mitt by her side in an interview on "CBS This Morning" Tuesday. "There's a wild and crazy man inside there."

Thanks for confirming that Mitt's crazy, Ann.

by Anonymousreply 42905/12/2012

[quote]Thanks for confirming that Mitt's crazy, Ann

Mitt's not crazy. He's calculating and cruel. Mean, out-of-touch douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 43005/13/2012

DAMN

by Anonymousreply 43105/13/2012

So smart, R432! Indeed, in all these years Obama has successfully hidden his entire life from the press. So smart of you to have figured that out! And yes, abusing and bullying gays is nothing more than "boys being boys." So smart again!!

The real question is: is R432 a troll, or an idiot.

I suspect he really is a genuine rightwing idiot, who thinks that somehow by posting insanely, he'll influence others.

by Anonymousreply 43305/13/2012

r432 if you were any more transparent I would start believing in ghosts.

Meanwhile, begone, troll!

by Anonymousreply 43405/13/2012

What do you think would have happened if young Mittens was held down and had his perfectly groomed locks clipped off by an ugly bully?

by Anonymousreply 43505/13/2012

Mr. Mitt is a vacuous snob of the highest order. That's all you need to know. Now how will the repulsive repugs reverse their elitist-snob attack on the Democrats this election?

Anyone who votes Republican should be brought up on treason.

by Anonymousreply 43605/13/2012

The fact that these troll posts are popping up here (and everywhere else on the internet), all with the same theme of defending Romney and attempting to shift the blame to Obama, is very interesting.

It shows that they're worried, and it's proof that this thing hit home. If nothing else they've kept the story alive a good 48 hours longer than it would have survived on its own.

by Anonymousreply 43705/13/2012

Thanks for posting that, r437. It is astonishing the contortions that the Right will undergo to defend their candidate. I really hope this story will stick. But if this country elected GWB TWICE I am worried.

by Anonymousreply 43805/13/2012

That childish old conservative reprobate Chris Matthews just played an Archie Bunker clip about gays from the 70s to "prove" gays weren't on the radar screen in the 60s. What horse manure. The subject was TABOO, but therefore every teenage boy in the land, including ROMNEY, was obsessed with it.

by Anonymousreply 43905/13/2012

[quote]if this country elected GWB TWICE I am worried.

That didn't happen. Stealing an election is quite different from someone who has been elected.

The question is: Do the Pubbies still have Diebold in their pocket?

by Anonymousreply 44005/13/2012

r439, somebody should tell Chris Matthews that All in the Family premiered in 1971, almost two years after Stonewall.

by Anonymousreply 44105/13/2012

ES&S tried to buy Diebold and Sequoia, and was forced by the Justice Dept. to let them go to Dominion Voting Systems of Canada. They also sold their internet voting arm to SCYTL of Spain. So we have three main "counters" of elections. However, that may be more apparent than real. ES&S is now openly employing Senator Hagel (R-Neb) their former owner as a consultant. SCYTL, partly financed by Nauta Capital from BOSTON still employs one of the Urosevich brothers; and Dominion Voting may not what it seems, having just moved its hq to Denver.

by Anonymousreply 44205/13/2012

Yesterday, a Prairie Home Companion skit had a Romney-like character making an "if I did anything wrong" non-apology. The audience obviously caught it.

When comedy writers start putting out scripts that display the idiocy of a candidate, it's bad news for the candidate. SNL did that very well with Sarah Palin four years ago.

by Anonymousreply 44305/13/2012

Which All in the Family was used to prove gays were unknown? I remember several gay characters and references to gay people. Even a drag queen showed up a few times. All were portrayed sympathetically, without being preachy/claptrappy as Glee tends to be.

by Anonymousreply 44405/13/2012

They're already trying to spin this as the kid didn't fit the norm, not that he was gay.

Regardless of how they try to spin it, it does show that Willard Mitt Romney was and IS a bully.

by Anonymousreply 44505/13/2012

Yes, LtLB, Romney's biographer was on Melissa Harris Perry's show this morning insisting Lauber was not effeminate, just that he didn't fit in, because he had long hair.

Apparently MHP and her other guests didn't have the Post article in front of them to contradict him and point out the article said the five people who were there, four of whom were willing to use their names, including at least one person who has worked in Republican Party politics, said the guy was "perceived to be homosexual" and that his hair was bleached blond, something no straight boy would have done in 1965.

Further, no one mentioned the other student, the openly gay man, who said every time he answered a question in class, Romney would say, "Atta girl!"

And no one on the panel mentioned the trick on the blind teacher, either, though one woman did point out his apparent lack of conscience, concern or awareness of other people's needs or feelings.

She stopped short of calling him a sociopath, but it almost sounded as if she has been reading this thread, because she outlined the case for sociopathy exactly as it has been done here, upthread.

by Anonymousreply 44605/13/2012

STILL a bully, no matter how they spin this story. And, people are going to remember this on election day...this will be his downfall.

by Anonymousreply 44705/13/2012

Nobody wants a bully in office, especially if he's trying to lead the people...and, getting off on firing people.

Mitt Romney is a tool.

by Anonymousreply 44805/13/2012

I hope you're correct, 447. I can't help remember the Republican audiences that booed a gay soldier and cheered the notion of a man without insurance dying.

I know there are supposed to be mainstream Republicans who are repelled by the far right wing, but I don't see or hear them arguing with Tea Party principles, and I live in a red state where they are my neighbors, my co-workers, the people I overhear in the supermarket line, the library and everywhere else I go in public.

by Anonymousreply 44905/13/2012

[quote]Yes, LtLB, Romney's biographer was on Melissa Harris Perry's show this morning insisting Lauber was not [childish epithet posted by a bigoted tool], just that he didn't fit in, because he had long hair.

It's really pathetic that people like r446, who want to have a serious discussion, are hit with the label of being a "bigoted tool." It's time to rethink this failed attempt to limit intelligent discourse.

The word e-f-f-e-m-i-n-ate is an important part of discussions about the bullying character of Mitt Romney. People using the word in the proper context should not be called a "bigoted tool."

by Anonymousreply 45005/13/2012

oh really?

by Anonymousreply 45105/13/2012

Yes, really. Romney targeted students that he viewed as e-f-f-e-m-i-n-ate and that should not be ignored.

by Anonymousreply 45205/13/2012

Next: Mitt Romney fucked baby in the ass!

"Gee, I'm sorry if anyone's offended," Romney said this morning on "Fox and Friends. "It screamed a little, but babies are always screaming. It's probably forgotten all about it by now."

by Anonymousreply 45305/13/2012

R453. When I fucked the baby in the ass, it was just a prank--just some "hijinks," if you will, that may have gone too far.

I apologize IF I offended anyone. Besides, I was in high school, and I thought the baby might be gay.

by Anonymousreply 45405/13/2012

ATTA-GIRL!

by Anonymousreply 45505/13/2012

Mitt is a big closet case. I've been saying it for months. This bullying story only confirms it.

His son, the one with the curly hair and the deer-in-the-headlights stare, is a closet case, too.

by Anonymousreply 45605/13/2012

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

by Anonymousreply 45705/13/2012

Don't be too sure Americans don't want a bully in the White House. Isn't that why some of them liked Bush?

by Anonymousreply 45805/13/2012

I could be dreaming this, but wasn't there a movie in the 60's where some tough guys did exactly the same thing to a high school or college kid who was considered "girly"?

I think it happened in a H.S. locker room?

Am I ringing any bells with anyone? I remember they threatened to do it to Rambo, but that's not the one I'm talking about.

by Anonymousreply 45905/13/2012

That's one of the first things I thought of too, that Mitt was outraged, as is every closet case at the sight of someone not "man enough" to pretend to be straight! With five sons, one of them must be gay, and I picked the same one as the poster above did.

by Anonymousreply 46005/13/2012

R458, I've been reading Republican comments across the internet and many are actually saying that we need a bully in the Whitehouse. They like Romney even more because of it.

by Anonymousreply 46105/13/2012

Gay or straight, and I do believe that Romney is straight, regardless, Romney is a mean, cruel person.

As Chris Matthews said on Meet The Press this morning, "Who doesn't remember things that happened in high school?" Especially this.

by Anonymousreply 46205/13/2012

[quote] I've been reading Republican comments across the internet and many are actually saying that we need a bully in the Whitehouse. They like Romney even more because of it.

Well, Duh! Of course that's what they would be saying. Do you think they're stupid? Do you think KKKarl Rove is a moron? Who didn't expect them to spin the bullying into something they could claim is good?

No matter how much the Rethugs spin in print, intelligent people will be turned off by any bullying. No matter what they say in print, the only thing that matters is what they do in the voting booth.

by Anonymousreply 46305/13/2012

Aside from cutting his classmates hair, the other part part of this report states that Romney pushed a blind (or semi-blind) teacher into a closed door after guiding him through an open door (lulling the blind teacher into a false sense that someone was helping him).

And then Romney pushed the teacher into the closed door, and Romney thought that was hysterically funny. Again, the other students remember this. But oh no, Romney has no recollection of any of it.

Except perhaps this vague notion of "hijinks that went to far." Fucking cruel douchebag. And now he likes to fire people...which is just a ruthless, adult version of bullying and "hijinks that went too far."

by Anonymousreply 46405/13/2012

Bullying, however, is what they usually do in the voting booth R463.

by Anonymousreply 46505/13/2012

Romney is a bad seed for sure.

Even as a teenager he showed signs of being a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 46605/13/2012

[quote]And now he likes to fire people...which is just a ruthless, adult version of bullying and "hijinks that went too far."

Don't forget "I don't care about the very poor."

by Anonymousreply 46705/13/2012

r459, are you thinking of "The Strange One" (1957) with Ben Gazzara?

by Anonymousreply 46805/13/2012

It was not a false claim. Ter is a Republican plant?

by Anonymousreply 47005/14/2012

False how?? Be specific.

by Anonymousreply 47105/14/2012

R472, your post started off as reasonable, and then it degenerated into nonsense.

Romney is not a decent & compassionate man - he just allowed his foreign policy adviser to be fired because he was gay. And that's just one of many vile things he has done.

And you also fail to acknowledge that even if it's the case that this was a long time ago, he had a chance to make it up by giving a heartfelt apology - he failed to do that. As many articles have pointed out this week, the way he responded to this event through a non-denial denial and made light of it, shows he hasn't learned anything.

by Anonymousreply 47305/14/2012

False Claim:

A claim about a republican is false if any details of the story are in dispute. ( Romney's victim's sisters say the depiction of their brother is not accurate, therefore, Romney isnt a bully.)

A claim about a Democrat is false if and only if there is no one in the world who will say it is true. A repub nitwit says Obama is an alien from another planet and the media pick up on the story:what is the space-invader up to?

by Anonymousreply 47405/14/2012

No sense reasoning with a farting freeper, R473.

by Anonymousreply 47505/14/2012

[quote]But what has he done since? He has a very long record of personal kindness to friends and strangers that overshadows anything done 50 years ago.

Really? And you know this how, exactly? And you can easily enumerate this "very long record of personal kindness to friends and strangers," right? Oh, you can't? Oh, dear.

[quote]What acts of PRIVATE generosity or kindness has Obama done?

See the word "PRIVATE," dear? You do remember what Jesus said about public vs. private, right?

[quote]Oh, we don't know because he's cloaked his high school and college days in secrecy.

ROFL... So you can't list anything that Obama and Romney did in high school and college and yet it's Obama you criticize as having "cloaked his high school and college days in secrecy." Right. Oh, heavens no, you're not a partisan moron. Where would we get an idea like that?

And I haven't even gotten into the rather embarrassing fact that Obama can't possibly "cloak his high school and college days in secrecy," as he has no more control over the recollections of his friends, neighbors, teachers, and so on than Romney does, which makes your whole point moot.

by Anonymousreply 47605/14/2012

[quote]intelligent people will be turned off by any bullying

We're talking about Republican voters, remember?

by Anonymousreply 47705/14/2012

It's funny how the republican spin machine has been desperately trying to find examples of how decent and compassionate Willard is, since most of the public found the haircut assault disturbing, and his forgetting and non-apology even worse.

The best they've come up with is when his Bain colleague's daughter was missing, and Mitt shut down the company and forced everyone to go to NYC to look for her. Turns out she went to a rave, did a little too much E, and ended up in some kid's basement.

Apparenlty to Mitt, when a 1%-er has a kid go missing, the little people who work in your company are yours to enlist. I doubt if the janitor's kid were missing he'd have done the same.

by Anonymousreply 47805/14/2012

Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 47905/14/2012

Most Republican voters are motivated by fear and insecurity. The "get [fill-in-the-blank] before they get us" pervades most thoughts. So yes, this will fit nicely into the schemata of many Republican voters.

by Anonymousreply 48005/14/2012

[quote]intelligent people will be turned off by any bullying" --- We're talking about Republican voters, remember?

Yes, I know we're talking about Republican voters and I'll repeat: "intelligent people will be turned off by any bullying." Try to comprehend R477. Don't make us draw a picture.

by Anonymousreply 48105/14/2012

r481 Do you include Mitt Romney and his wife as Republicans who are turned off by bullying?

by Anonymousreply 48205/14/2012

[quote]Yes, I know we're talking about Republican voters and I'll repeat: "intelligent people will be turned off by any bullying."

And I repeat: we're talking about Republican voters. Anyone who votes for the current Republican Party is already demonstrating their lack of intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 48305/14/2012

[quote]Do you include Mitt Romney and his wife as Republicans who are turned off by bullying?

Once more, "[bold]intelligent[/bold] people will be turned off by any bullying."

I don't expect Republicans to by turned off by bullying.

by Anonymousreply 48405/14/2012

Romney the Bully

Start with the classic schoolbully, Flashman, of Hughes’s Tom Brown’s Schooldays:

Flashman, be it said, was about seventeen years old, and big and strong of his age. He played well at all games where pluck wasn’t much wanted, and managed generally to keep up appearances where it was; and having a bluff, off-hand manner, which passed for heartiness, and considerable powers of being pleasant when he liked, went down with the school in general for a good fellow enough. Even in the School-house, by dint of his command of money, the constant supply of good things which he kept up, and his adroit toadyism, he had managed to make himself not only tolerated, but rather popular amongst his own contemporaries; …Flashman was a formidable enemy for small boys. This soon became plain enough. Flashman left no slander unspoken, and no deed undone, which could in any way hurt his victims, or isolate them from the rest of the house.

So now we find that while at Cranbrook, an elite prep school in Bloomfield Hills, Romney recruited a small gang to ambush a schoolboy called John Lauber who had died his hair bleached-blond. Led by Romney they threw him to the ground, and Romney forcibly trimmed his hair. Then, after this assault, they swaggered off in triumph to Romney’s room. Four of the ambushers contacted by the Washington Post remembered the episode with shame. Lauber died in 2004. In a chance encounter with another Cranbrook alumnuswho had witnessed the ambush Lauber said, “It was horrible….It’s something I have thought about a lot since then.”

Romney’s campaign initially said that the Gov hadn’t a mean bone in his body and it didn’t sound like him. Later Romney said he didn’t remember the incident but apologized for pranks he helped orchestrate that he said “might have gone too far.” By bullying standards of the early 1960s in some British schools, the Lauber episode was par for the course. Romney seems to have had a thing about hair. Later he organized another prank at Stanford which involved kidnapping some U.C. students, shaving their heads and painting their skulls red. There is a nasty streak in the man.I’m not surprised one of his kids ratted him out on the dog episode, which won’t go away because it symbolizes so much about the Mormon millionaire.

by Anonymousreply 48505/14/2012

Romney made a career of bullying when he was head of private equity firm Bain Capital. Bain would invest in companies, load them up with debt, and then sell them for huge profits. The companies often had to lay off workers and sometimes were forced into bankruptcy.

The Wall Street Journal found that of the 77 companies in which Bain invested while Romney headed it from 1984 to 1999, 22 percent filed for bankruptcy or went out of business. In addition, Bain hid its profits in tax havens.

William D. Cohan, a Wall Street deal-adviser for 17 years, wrote in the Washington Post: “Seemingly alone among private-equity firms,” Bain Capital under Romney’s leadership “was a master at bait-and-switching Wall Street bankers to get its hands on the companies that provided the raw material for its financial alchemy.” Cohan said Bain “did all that it could to game the system.”

For 28 years, Joe Soptic was a steelworker at Worldwide Grinding Systems. Soptic told Amy Goodman that after the company was bought out in 1993, his wife had to quit working, she didn’t have health insurance, and he couldn’t afford to buy it after his salary was reduced from $59,000 to $24,800 annually. When his wife became ill with cancer, she went to a county hospital. When she died, he said, “I had this big bill.” Soptic was forced to liquidate his 401(k)s, which are now gone. He lost his job after the company declared bankruptcy under the control of Bain. While 750 workers lost their jobs, Bain made billions of dollars in profit. Bain denied workers the severance pay and health insurance they had been promised, and their retirement benefits were reduced by as much as $400 a month.

Randy Johnson had worked for nine years at an office supply factory in Marion, Indiana, when American Pad and Paper, which had been acquired by Bain, bought out the factory in 1994. Johnson was hired back, but without a union contract. He lost his pension plan, and his wages and benefits were reduced. After an unsuccessful effort to negotiate a contract, the plant closed. Johnson and more than 250 of his fellow workers were fired. Johnson, who had tried to get Romney’s attention during the labor dispute, said, “I really think [Romney] didn’t care about the workers. It was all about profit over people.”

A bully does not care whom he may hurt by his tormenting behavior. He intimidates the vulnerable for his own benefit, or amusement. He lacks compassion. Romney fits this profile.

by Anonymousreply 48605/14/2012

[quote]Romney seems to have had a thing about hair

There was also an altercation aboard a commercial plane several years ago, where Mitt claimed the other guy broke his hair.

by Anonymousreply 48705/14/2012

hmmm

by Anonymousreply 48805/14/2012

[quote]That childish old conservative reprobate Chris Matthews just played an Archie Bunker clip about gays from the 70s to "prove" gays weren't on the radar screen in the 60s.

I'm not sure exactly what the clip was about, but I do know that Matthews has made more of a point about what the incident says about Romney's (largely undefined) character than a lot of hosts. He even kept pressing it on Morning Joe when both Joe and darling Mika wanted to dismiss it as a silly ancient scuffle.

Ron Reagan is a frequent guest on Hardball, and he and Chris have been all over Romney's caving to the fundies when Romney's gay foreign-policy guy was dumped, and then both hailed the president's coming out finally for gay marriage equality (Matthews found it particularly brave because the politics are dicey in states like Ohio and PA).

Years ago I used to cringe when Chris Matthews raised issues of gay rights on his show ("but what about the gays!?"). But for whatever reasons (and we've speculated) he has become a real champion for equality. Evolution is real. Someone forgot to tell Mittens.

by Anonymousreply 48905/15/2012

[quote]Years ago I used to cringe when Chris Matthews raised issues of gay rights on his show ("but what about the gays!?"). But for whatever reasons (and we've speculated) he has become a real champion for equality. Evolution is real.

I totally agree. I wonder if his wife has been working on his attitude until the light bulb finally came on.

Or maybe someone he knows and trusts, like a relative or a longtime staffer, came out or got married to someone of the same gender, or maybe he just watched someone in action long enough to finally get it.

He still gets the terminology wrong sometimes, like he will occasionally say "sexual preference," and it has taken him far too long to realize it's a mistake for him to give Tony Perkins credibility by inviting him on the show.

But his conversion is not only genuine, it appears to be something he cares deeply about, almost making me think maybe it was one of his children or a beloved niece or nephew who came out to him and helped him across the finish line.

by Anonymousreply 49005/15/2012

[quote]But for whatever reasons (and we've speculated) he has become a real champion for equality.

He has a gay son.

by Anonymousreply 49105/15/2012

I kind of wonder, though. Have there been any reports of Romney assaulting Gays who are not teenagers? It seems to me that, at least, physically, he's left Gay adults alone.

by Anonymousreply 49205/15/2012

Aren't verbal assaults enough when he wants to deny civil rights to gays?

by Anonymousreply 49305/15/2012

R492, is this the GOProud and Log Cabin Republican rallying cry? "Vote for Romney, he hasn't beaten up a gay adult!"

by Anonymousreply 49405/16/2012

damn

by Anonymousreply 49505/16/2012

It seems that Mitt has a bad temper and always gets his way.

In February 2010, Romney was on a flight from Vancouver to Los Angeles when he had his "most unusual altercation," says Alec MacGillis at The New Republic.

Romney and wife Ann were seated behind Sky Blu (Skyler Gordy) of the party-rock duo LMFAO. Gordy leaned back before takeoff, Romney told him to return his seat to an upright position, and Gordy wound up being escorted off the plane.

As Romney tells it, after he politely asked Gordy to sit up, then "tapped him on the shoulder," Gordy "gave me a good swat and [bold]he broke my hair[/bold]."

In Gordy's version, told on YouTube, Romney yelled, "Sir, sir put your seat up!" then reached up and "put a condor grip on me. ... It was pretty hostile."

by Anonymousreply 49605/16/2012

From the Boston Globe, July 15, 1994:

Speaking last fall to a Mormon Church gathering, Mitt Romney, then on the verge of launching a bid for a US Senate seat, expressed dismay at reports of homosexual behavior in the group and denounced homosexuality as “perverse,” according to several people present at the meeting.

Romney’s alleged comments on homosexual practices were part of a 20-minute address he delivered on November 14 to the Cambridge University Ward, which numbers about 250 to 300 single Mormons.

“He said he was appalled at the incidence of homosexuals in the congregation,” said Rick Rawlins, a 32-year-old Mormon who had previously served as a counselor to the ward’s bishop. “He went on to say that he found homosexuality both perverse and reprehensible.”

Romney denied the veracity of the comments but, as the Globe noted, the account was confirmed by three other attendees.

by Anonymousreply 49705/16/2012

damn

by Anonymousreply 49805/16/2012

[quote]It seems that Mitt has a bad temper and always gets his way.

This is pretty typical for people from his class, who've basically had a golden path handed to them.

by Anonymousreply 49905/17/2012

Shitt Romney douchebag hump for R500.

by Anonymousreply 50005/17/2012

To borrow from one of the most brilliant political wits America ever had, Ann Richards,

"Poor Mitt. He was born with a silver foot in his mouth."

by Anonymousreply 50105/17/2012

Willard probably uses extra-hold hair gel followed by extra-hold hairspray to create his hairstyle, r502. The guy probably put a dent in the Dippity-Do hair helmet.

by Anonymousreply 50305/20/2012

Surely you jest R503. You think that is real hair?

by Anonymousreply 50405/21/2012

Surely you jest R504. You've never heard of a beauty parlor? Any beautician can dye and lacquer your hair to make you look just like Romney.

by Anonymousreply 50505/21/2012

Let's keep Mitt's gay bashing story going.

by Anonymousreply 50605/22/2012

Met a former Cranbrooker last week. Said very very tightly controlled school. Nothing goes unnoticed, nor unpunished if not approved.

by Anonymousreply 50705/22/2012

After listening to Ann Romney and her speech about Mitt and her she met him in high school and he always could make her laugh.

When I was in grade school one of the schools bullies could be easiely made to go off on someone after school and the size of a whole class would follow to see the fire, so most everyone in my grade knew that the bully would take out the kid that day; so was this one of the things that Ann loved about Mitt?

She had to have hear about it around school sometime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 50808/29/2012

Mitt Romney is going back to dust, and, or to hell; do not know, although I am a Christian, many believe in a hell, many do not. I try not to think about what happens after we die. When I pray when in need of help from God, may not be blessed right then, but down the road my prayer gets answered...this tells me there must be a supreme being, or a God. ROMNEY is a LDS, and their history is quite blemished. I would say he has done many things that God objects to. I do not believe Romney can do anything better than Obama as I believe Obama is the best choice because afterall, he has been president for four years now. Personally, if Romney does win, he will only be a one term only too. He will not make things any better; however, truly believe Obama can.

by Anonymousreply 50909/18/2012

Contrast Romney's non-existant punishment with similar incidents in Ohio where the perpetrators are facing life in prison for hate crimes.

by Anonymousreply 51009/20/2012

Conservative trolling asshole fails at trolling.

by Anonymousreply 51210/08/2012

Let's keep this thread active through the election.

by Anonymousreply 51310/10/2012

Pass this story to your gay friends.

by Anonymousreply 51410/13/2012

Do our currently lurking cabbies have anything to say about this?

What about the Romney poll troll--care to comment?

by Anonymousreply 51510/13/2012

Mitt Romney Fires Homosexual Landscapers over Political Concerns

by Walid

Mitt Romney Battles Homosexual Landscapers

Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney on Tuesday fired a landscaping company that worked at his home in Boston, Massachusetts, after he said he learned it employs Homosexual Landscapers.

"So we went to the company, and we said, 'Look, you can't have any Homosexual Landscapers working on our property. I'm running for office, for Pete's sake! I can't have Homosexual Landscapers!' " "I am disappointed that our relationship must end on this note," Romney wrote in a letter to the company that was released by his campaign.

"But we simply cannot tolerate your inability to ensure that your employees are not homosexual."

With the former Massachusetts governor locked in a tight race with President Barack Obama, the company -- which Romney said he gave a "second chance" after similar concerns arose last year -- had become an easy target for his political opponents.

"The company's failure to comply with my personal policy of discrimination is disappointing and inexcusable, and I believe it is important I take this action," Romney said in a written statement.

Romney said he met with the owner of the Community Lawn Service last year and agreed to keep using it after the owner guaranteed him he would only hire non-homosexual or straight landscaper workers.

Tuesday's announcement came after the Boston Globe approached the campaign with what an official called "credible information" that the company continued to employ homosexual workers -- including some at the Romney home.

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani attacked Romney for living in a "sanctuary mansion" where homosexual landscapers were allowed to work.

Romney clarified that it was the company, not him, that hired the homosexual workers and called it "offensive" to suggest he should have checked their LGBT status.

"Are you suggesting ... that if you have a company that you hired to provide a service that you are now responsible for going out and checking the employees of that company, particularly those that might look different or don't have an accent like yours?" Romney said during the debate. "I don't think that's American."

by Anonymousreply 51610/13/2012

A more correct title:

Mitt Romney: Closeted Self-Hating Gay Basher

by Anonymousreply 51710/23/2012

Check this pic out. Romney posing as a fag.

by Anonymousreply 51810/23/2012

What an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 51910/23/2012

this might explain his mincing walk.

by Anonymousreply 52010/23/2012

The gay-basher is a closeted gay man.

by Anonymousreply 52110/24/2012

usually

by Anonymousreply 52210/24/2012

Mitt: Liar and gay-basher.

by Anonymousreply 52310/24/2012

Charming.

by Anonymousreply 52410/24/2012

I believe R518's photo is a known fake.

by Anonymousreply 52510/24/2012

Not a fake

by Anonymousreply 52610/25/2012

The photo looks real to me.

by Anonymousreply 52710/25/2012

If it is a fake, it sure as hell is believable.

by Anonymousreply 52810/25/2012

Let's keep this thread going. Push these stories at him while he's down so that he stays down.

by Anonymousreply 52911/09/2012

What a beautiful vindication Obama's win is for this poor gay man. Screw you, Mitt.

by Anonymousreply 53011/09/2012

RIP John Lauber

by Anonymousreply 53111/11/2012

Yup. We forget all the vile things this man has done in his life.

by Anonymousreply 53211/12/2012

Let's not forget.

by Anonymousreply 53301/21/2013

That guy is way too pretty to be Mitt Romney.

by Anonymousreply 53401/21/2013

I fully expect Mitt will soon have some sort of public scene, or tantrum which will indicate not only his moral decrepitude, but his crumbling mental health. I can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 53501/21/2013

I don't think he'll be appearing in public very much.

by Anonymousreply 53601/21/2013

He sat at home all day with the television off.

by Anonymousreply 53701/21/2013

Remembering Seamus!

by Anonymousreply 53801/22/2013

Who is Mitt bullying now?

by Anonymousreply 53901/26/2013

Hopefully nobody. Nobody deserves to be bullied and humiliated....

Well....Tagg could use a good whipping.

by Anonymousreply 54001/26/2013

[quote]The incident was recalled similarly by five students, who gave their accounts independently of one another.

I like to make sure the hair cutting/gay bashing incident isn't forgotten. I wonder if Mitt's son, Turd, has a similar history.

by Anonymousreply 54103/04/2013

Why the fuck is someone bumping up all these Mitt Romney threads?

by Anonymousreply 54203/04/2013

Oh, the rich are so much better than the rest of us...(eye roll)

by Anonymousreply 54303/04/2013

[quote]Liberalism is mental disease.

Straight out of the freeper handbook. At least try and come up with something original.

by Anonymousreply 54403/04/2013

[quote]Why the fuck is someone bumping up all these Mitt Romney threads?

It's a reminder of what we escaped. It also serves as a warning in case of any further attempts by a Romney to run for office.

by Anonymousreply 54504/24/2013

r545 the popular vote doesn't decide the election, r545. No need to "warn".

by Anonymousreply 54604/24/2013

It's being a REPUBLICAN that is a mental illness. Well, if you're a 'people are basically good' kind of attitude person.

by Anonymousreply 54704/24/2013

[quote] At least try and come up with something original.

That would require brain power on the right's part and as far as they're concerned, education is a "fag" thing.

by Anonymousreply 54804/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.