Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

P. Allen Smith, the Arkansas Martha...

what's the scoop?

by Anonymousreply 4412/22/2013

I hate the advice he gives people when they send him photos of their houses. He should do it less often and plan his response in advance to make a specific point. His drawing on their photos with a magic marker is illegible and his ideas are ill-considered, whimsical, and often contradictory.

by Anonymousreply 105/09/2012

She's too old for that hair

by Anonymousreply 205/09/2012

Why in the hell would a queen want to live in Arkansas?

And yes, that early 90's haircut needs to go.

by Anonymousreply 505/09/2012

I concur with all of the above.

He has a nice house, but Arkansas? (And I have a high tolerance for the backwoodsy.)

Even when he has a somewhat interesting segment on his show, it's inevitably ruined by his purse-lipped prissiness.

And yes, R1, those on the fly photo makeovers of suburban landscapes are bad to the core.

He seems to have a whole speaking circuit of charity antique shows, etc.

by Anonymousreply 605/09/2012

Is that his house? It's like a nightmare version of the plantation house in CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF with magenta roofs.

by Anonymousreply 705/09/2012

He has the weirdest hair in the whole world. It's like a gay male version of Society Woman Important Hair.

by Anonymousreply 805/09/2012

Is it a wig?

by Anonymousreply 905/09/2012

What in the WORLD are you people talking about?? The level of literacy on this board has taken a real nosedive lately.

by Anonymousreply 1105/09/2012

I can't believe some of you are so petty. His hair??? And his ass that you can't see??

I didn't realize he was still in Arkansas, but, apparently some like his work.

by Anonymousreply 1205/09/2012

Yes, how DARE we discuss his hair! That's something absolutely forbidden on a serious, issues-oriented site like Datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 1305/09/2012

I think his house is very nice if you like that sort of style.

Maybe he lives in Ark. because of friends,family and career. Not everyone wants to live in a city.

I do agree about the hair.

by Anonymousreply 1405/09/2012

She's even pretty for a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 1505/09/2012

P. Allen,

Why is everyone on this thread telling you to CUT your hair?

I think you should grow it longer, put on makeup, shave your legs, get into a pantyhose, a dress and heels.

And I'll drive you in my van all the way to Arkansas.

by Anonymousreply 1605/09/2012

His family owns a nursery plant company there, which I believe his brother runs. The house he built is quite nice and the gardens are spectacular. His career seems to be in decline, book publishing isn't what it used to be and there aren't many of his shows being produced anymore, if at all. His family company was footing the bill, since the recession perhaps things aren't going so well as they used to. one interesting things is they used to always film him in the same shirt, pants and hair style so they could mix in sections of the show from different years. It worked for a while, but then he got old and gained weight so it the age spread became very obvious. They seemed to have stopped that.

by Anonymousreply 1705/09/2012

Are those the former slave cabins in the R6 pic?

by Anonymousreply 1805/09/2012

The metal roof is actually a thrifty idea. It won't have to be replaced it until long after he's dead.

I think he knew this was a temporary gig and planned accordingly. Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 1905/09/2012

I don't see any trees by his house but he keeps telling all the fraus to plant them.

by Anonymousreply 2005/09/2012

"[italic]former[/italic] slave cabins"???

Honey, you've not been to the piss-elegant side of Arkansas before, have you?

by Anonymousreply 2105/09/2012

Obviously not R18, this house quite a bit younger than P. Allen Smith.

by Anonymousreply 2205/09/2012

Yes, it's a new house that he had built -- and new dependencies.

by Anonymousreply 2305/09/2012

She frequents the tubs in Memphis. I think she's a bottom. Trolls, I gave you enough to run with there, have at it.

by Anonymousreply 2405/09/2012

He's the epitome of a Log Cabin Republican.

by Anonymousreply 2505/09/2012

Anyone see his feets? A photo would be most appreciated. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 2605/10/2012

He's much more feminine than Martha,

by Anonymousreply 2705/10/2012

Drag name was Petunia Clark back in the day. I kid you not.

by Anonymousreply 2805/11/2012

Have the keys in the van now.

How many does can does it take to drive from LA to Arkansas?

by Anonymousreply 2905/11/2012

He's gotta have feets photos somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 3005/12/2012

It's kind of stupid his marketing people don't make him wear some kind of sandals.

by Anonymousreply 3105/12/2012

Or high heel pumps.

by Anonymousreply 3205/12/2012

whew- I thought it was just me. I find him nauseatingly tres gai- but that would be ok if he was good at anything. He's all over the place. The label says garden show but he tries to priss around over 100 topics like he's Martha Stewart. hardly ever is there anything on gardening other than the mundane vegetable kind- and it is so basic to be silly. America's expert gardeneer indeed- there are soooo many really qualified garden experts out there- he's just a tv wannabe. yuk yuk yuk. YUK.

by Anonymousreply 3309/21/2013

He can look cute, but that hairstyle needs to be updated.

by Anonymousreply 3412/21/2013

I always refer to him as "P. Allen Bottom."

by Anonymousreply 3512/22/2013

Well the P obviously stands for Prissy or more precisely.. Prissay

by Anonymousreply 3612/22/2013

[quote]He can look cute, but that hairstyle needs to be updated.

I agree. The hairstyle looks very dated. It also always looks dry.

I wonder if he has a boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 3712/22/2013

I like the guy's message. He talks a lot about native plants and he encourages and educates about heritage ducks, geese, goats and cattle. He also talks a lot about open pollinated seed and the need to keep the old varieties of non-hybrid food crops in production. With the current domination of industrialized farming and the use of patented hybrids, we could find ourselves in a similar situation as the Irish potato famine. He isn't the only voice in the wilderness but he does his part.

Also the house is built with some sophisticated green initiatives. Much like Martha he is conservative, they both want to conserve the quality foods, crops, recipes etc. I can't say that I like their taste in decor, but so much merchandise in America is dreadfully slipshod these days. It's beneficial to have voices who remind people to buy quality rather throw away junk. And both Martha and Smith push "buy American" which keeps manufacturing jobs here.

So all in all, he's a bit dull but he does his part.

by Anonymousreply 3812/22/2013

I am envious that he built a house as part of a TV production and got to deduct it as a business expense and then get to keep it and bill the production company back as a production location.

by Anonymousreply 4012/22/2013

Last Christmas I bought one of his original design Christmas wreaths. I have purchased wreaths from several companies over the years and his was by far the nicest, and considering the quality, looked like it cost a lot more than I paid for it. I was so impressed with it that I sent an e-mail to express how happy I was with the product and I never do that. He may be many things but he certainly has an eye for design and, like Martha, has great taste.

by Anonymousreply 4112/22/2013

He's married to a woman supposedly but the gay rumors are strong with this one. What's the "low down" on him?

by Anonymousreply 4212/22/2013

You mean he IS a gay woman!

by Anonymousreply 4312/22/2013

Funny, my mother was from Eastern Arkansas. I went back there several years ago and everyone tried to get me to move there. I was even offered a house for free. I declined saying that I doubt that I would fit in. Later a friend of my mother's took me aside and said basically that as long as you were married and went to church, nobody cared what you did. (wink, wink) That kinda sounds like P.A.S. If you see the behind the scenes videos, he is about a nelly as nelly can be.

by Anonymousreply 4412/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!