Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Michele Bachmann claims Swiss citizenship

Rep. Michelle Bachmann is now officially a Swiss miss.

Bachmann (R-Minn.) recently became a citizen of Switzerland, making her eligible to run for office in the tiny European nation, according to a Swiss TV report Tuesday.

Arthur Honegger, a reporter for public broadcaster Schweizer Fernsehen, told POLITICO the Swiss consulate in Chicago has confirmed that the former Republican presidential candidate became a citizen March 19.

The Swiss consulate in Chicago covers the state of Minnesota, which Bachmann represents.

Marcus Bachmann, the congresswoman’s husband since 1978, reportedly was eligible for Swiss citizenship due to his parents’ nationality — but only registered it with the Swiss government Feb. 15. Once the process was finalized on March 19, Michele automatically became a citizen as well, according to Honegger.

Bachmann’s three youngest children are also now Swiss citizens, and her two older children are eligible to apply for a fast-track citizenship process, according to an email from the consulate provided and translated by Honegger.

Bachmann’s office confirmed that the congresswoman had received Swiss citizenship, and attributed the decision to her children.

“Congresswoman Bachmann’s husband is of Swiss descent, so she has been eligible for dual-citizenship since they got married in 1978. However, recently some of their children wanted to exercise their eligibility for dual-citizenship so they went through the process as a family,” said Bachmann spokesperson Becky Rogness.

The Minnesota congresswoman was interviewed by Swiss national public television in D.C. on Tuesday while with a group of Swiss parliamentarians.

“My husband is a 100 percent Swiss, and his parents were raised in Switzerland, they were married there, they came to the United States, they bought a farm in Wisconsin and raised their three sons there,” said Bachmann.

Asked if she would run for office in Switzerland — as she is now eligible to do — Bachmann joked that the competition “would be very stiff because they are very good,” referring to the parliamentarians behind her.

Each Swiss citizen belongs specifically to a canton, and Bachmann’s is the canton of Thurgau in Northeast Switzerland.

“It’s tough to find a place not to like in Switzerland,” said Bachmann.

The Minnesota congresswoman ran for president this election cycle, and won the Ames straw poll last year, but a sixth-place showing in the Iowa caucuses led to her dropping out.

Bachmann’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The Swiss consulate in Chicago was closed when contacted by POLITICO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6405/10/2012

What???

by Anonymousreply 105/08/2012

I knew it. She hates America.

by Anonymousreply 205/08/2012

Barf

by Anonymousreply 305/08/2012

Good.

They can have this crazy bitch, and her asshole hubby, too!

by Anonymousreply 405/08/2012

Can you IMAGINE what Michele would have to say if Barack Obama became a dual citizen of the US and Kenya?

by Anonymousreply 505/08/2012

Seriously!

by Anonymousreply 605/08/2012

Anyone know who the Democrats are running against her in November?

Her approval numbers have fallen in her Minnesota district since she spent most of the last year running for President (Hah-Hah!) instead of representing them.

I'd like to see her taken down this year.

by Anonymousreply 705/08/2012

But how drastically have they fallen, r7? I would think any district crazy enough to have elected that bitch three times already would probably only turn her out in a landslide year for Democrats (which this does NOT look set to be).

by Anonymousreply 805/08/2012

How can a Swiss citizen serve in the U.S. House of Representatives? It's time for her to punch out and join her 100% gay husband in the canton of Thurgau.

by Anonymousreply 905/08/2012

She's doing it to hide money, plain and simple. Too bad her district is so conservative.

by Anonymousreply 1005/08/2012

I don't know, R8, but the Dems have come close to beating her in the past.

by Anonymousreply 1105/08/2012

[quote]She's doing it to hide money

Any time her name comes up, be sure to mention her Swiss bank accounts until they become as famous as Richard Gere's gerbil.

by Anonymousreply 1205/08/2012

I can't wait to see Marcus wearing his Swiss peasant costume and yodeling.You just know that boy is a yodeler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1305/08/2012

Name your price to take her back.

Cash, chocolate, cuckoo clocks--please, just name it.

by Anonymousreply 1405/08/2012

Why aren't the tea party idiots going bat shit over their darling hating America. Proof that she is not right for the country.

by Anonymousreply 1505/08/2012

Somebody's going to learn how to yodel.

by Anonymousreply 1605/08/2012

Marcus is an excellent yodeler, thanks to the mouth exercises he has done religiously since he was a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 1705/08/2012

Well I'm waiting for November, if by some chance Romney gets in I'm just going to spend the 10K and get my Italian citizenship.

by Anonymousreply 1805/08/2012

Why does she hate America?

by Anonymousreply 1905/08/2012

Piss off, we don't care about you

by Anonymousreply 2005/08/2012

As if the Swiss would tolerate that lunatic Bachmann. She would get no love from them at all.

by Anonymousreply 2105/09/2012

A brilliant comment from the ABC site:

[italic]Welcome to Switzerland, Michelle. We were the first to give free heroin to addicts 18 yrs. ago. We speak four languages from four different cultures, and no big problems. We don't have problems with gays and lesbians. We haven't been in any wars (well, that's down to luck) for more than 150 years. Freedom of worship is in the constitution, and enforced. Separation of state and religion is complete: No non-science in our schools. We have mandatory healthcare for everyone, and at the highest standards. But as they say, and that does not exclude us: the percentage of idiots is the same all the world over. In this sense: Welcome again. [/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2205/09/2012

She only won by 3% in 2008:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2305/09/2012

I would give my eye teeth to be a Swiss citizen.

Somewhere in my family paperwork, it says I have an ancestor on my mother's side (late 1600's) by the name of Simon Bachman from Switzerland. But it has to be a recent relative in order to get citizenship.

So -- Swiss chick? Will you marry me?

by Anonymousreply 2405/09/2012

News from Switzerland:

- she isn't officially Swiss yet.

- the local community (Wigoltingen, Thurgau) doesn't even know anything about Bachmann being "Swiss".

- the mayor is waiting for any official word from the government and is checking if they can file a complaint.

by Anonymousreply 2505/09/2012

[quote]So -- Swiss chick? Will you marry me?

Important things first: do you like AbFab?

by Anonymousreply 2605/09/2012

Where has she stashed the money she stole?

by Anonymousreply 2705/09/2012

One think is certain- her "politics" wouldn't last a second in Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 2805/09/2012

I suppose she wants us to call her Heidi now too.

by Anonymousreply 2905/09/2012

I'm thinking this has something to do with money for sure. There was an article today in my paper about a rise in rich Americans giving up their passports and citizenship because the US is cracking down on tax evaders and hidden offshore accounts.

by Anonymousreply 3005/09/2012

R30 - link please. I'd be interested in reading that article.

by Anonymousreply 3105/09/2012

Here ya go R31.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3205/09/2012

Well, she never really believed anything anyway. Parvenu.

by Anonymousreply 3305/09/2012

Wouldn't it be wonderful if she was staching cash in Swiss bank accounts?

Doesn't Romney have some Swiss bank accounts as well. I recall reading about that somewhere a few months ago.

by Anonymousreply 3405/09/2012

Why would she have to become a Swiss citizen in order to stash some money into an offshore account?

by Anonymousreply 3505/09/2012

It provides an excuse to be stashing her money over there. Claiming dual-citizenship lets her say, "Of course I have a bank account in Switzerland since I'm a Swiss citizen."

It also lets her stash money in Swiss accounts in the names of her closeted husband and her children.

by Anonymousreply 3605/09/2012

Hahaha, she must have that sinking feeling many, many Republicans have that President Obama is going to clean Romney's clock.

by Anonymousreply 3705/09/2012

I read recently that American citizens can no longer open Swiss bank accounts. If Romney is doing it, either he had it before they made this law, or he's maybe got a dual Mexican/American citizenship? He's eligible, his dad was born in Mexico. If so, a dual citzen probably wouldn't be eligible to be President. He would have to renounce it.

Bachmann wasn't looking for Swiss citizenship necessarily, her husband had that background so that's where they went. She got *dual* citizenship. Americans duals living abroad have to pay American taxes, even if they don't live here for decades. The IRS is really after them now.

Many Americans are looking for dual citizenship now. You can work, live long-term and travel more freely if you have a passport to that country, or one that has an agreement with it. Canadian passports can emmigrate to any country in the the UK, EU passports can emmigrate to the EU. Lots of Americans have an Canadian or EU grandparent.

My concern here is that Bachmann may come across nuttier than a fruitcake, but for a Repub she is smarter than some. From Wikipedia:

Bachmann was selected by House Speaker John Boehner for a position on the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, giving her a new role as overseer of the CIA, the National Security Agency and the rest of the U.S. intelligence community." Bachmann, who had "not served on any committee that deals with foreign policy issues" requested the position..."

Bachmann comes form a state with a high number of survivalists. A guy famous in survivalist circles, "Ferfal," recently announced on his blog that he used a dual Argentinian/Spanish passport to leave Argentina and emmigrate to Ireland. He recommended everyone get a dual passport that can, in case they needed to emmigrate for emergency reasons someday, even decades in the future. He covered it at great length, did many interviews about it on survivalist radio shows and other media.

Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Oregon, recently became involved with the issue of fallout from Fukushima hitting the Western US. From enenews:

[...] Alarmed by the precarious nature of spent fuel storage during his recent tour of the Fukushima Daiichi site, Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Oregon [wrote] Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Secretary of Energy Steven Chu, NRC Chairman Gregory Jaczko...

Wyden, a senior member of the U.S. Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources who is highly experienced with nuclear waste storage issues, believes the situation is “worse than reported,” with “spent fuel rods currently being stored in unsound structures immediately adjacent to the ocean.” ...[with] high susceptibility to earthquakes... [with hardly any defense against a new tsunami.]

In a statement released by his office, Wyden replied, “The radiation caused by the failure of the spent fuel pools in the event of another earthquake could reach the West Coast within days. That absolutely makes the safe containment and protection of this spent fuel a security issue for the United States.” [...]

Which means Bachmann probably saw his report.

by Anonymousreply 3805/09/2012

"Marcus Bachmann, the congresswoman’s husband since 1978, reportedly was eligible for Swiss citizenship due to his parents’ nationality"

A real Swiss Miss if there ever was one!

by Anonymousreply 3905/09/2012

I read somewhere that she could have claimed Swiss citizenship when she got married to him in 1978. The question is why she only claimed it now.

by Anonymousreply 4005/09/2012

"personal reasons"

by Anonymousreply 4105/09/2012

Sorry about the crappy editing above. Here's the link to stories about Wyden's trip to Fukushima, apparently he really freaked out, and tried to get publicity for his findings:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4205/09/2012

Please someone needs to get put together a photo of Marcus in the little swiss miss box girl costume.

by Anonymousreply 4305/09/2012

They take people who belong in a nuthouse? Wonder if they would take me?

by Anonymousreply 4405/09/2012

She probably needs some new account where she can store all the money she got from the Koch bros. for being such a good Tea Party employee.

by Anonymousreply 4505/09/2012

Maybe they want to be Swiss citizens, so they can get government funded healthcare?

by Anonymousreply 4605/09/2012

If you come by her new home, she'll come out and say "Hi"...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4705/09/2012

[quote] Please someone needs to get put together a photo of Marcus in the little swiss miss box girl costume.

... with mini-marshmallows

by Anonymousreply 4805/09/2012

Our loss is Switzerland's loss.

by Anonymousreply 4905/09/2012

[quote]“It’s tough to find a place not to like in Switzerland,” said Bachmann.

Bitch has clearly never ventured into Geneva.

by Anonymousreply 5005/09/2012

Does Switzerland still make it next to impossible for Swiss-born children of immigrants to get Swiss citizenship?

by Anonymousreply 5105/09/2012

It is a VERY expensive place to live.

by Anonymousreply 5205/09/2012

Uhm....

Can she produce her birth certificate?

Was she born in this country?

by Anonymousreply 5305/09/2012

Poor Switzerland. What did they ever do to deserve this?

by Anonymousreply 5405/09/2012

[quote]Maybe they want to be Swiss citizens, so they can get government funded healthcare?

I'm sure their children would want the option of European citizenship (nice to keep your options open); it could all go to hell here especially if mom's policies were ever to take hold.

Is Swiss citizenship effectively EU citizenship? That is worth a lot in terms of future mobility.

My mother would have been eligible for dual citizenship with Ireland, I've heard. And then possibly I and my siblings would have been, too. I wish someone had made this happen.

by Anonymousreply 5505/09/2012

She had a GREEN CARD marriage. Ah, well.

by Anonymousreply 5605/09/2012

[quote] Is Swiss citizenship effectively EU citizenship? That is worth a lot in terms of future mobility.

No, it's not.

by Anonymousreply 5705/09/2012

[quote]Canadian passports can emmigrate to any country in the the UK

No, they can't.

by Anonymousreply 5805/10/2012

well, her husband is Swish

by Anonymousreply 5905/10/2012

It's got to be a first that someone runs for president, and then months later claims citizenship for a European country. And someone who ran around pretending to be so patriotic.

from Rachel Maddow's blog: Doug Mataconis noted, "Perhaps it has happened before, and I don't necessarily have a problem with it, but one has to wonder how Bachmann and her fellow Republicans would react if a Democrat did something like this.

but the Republicans can get away with anything!

by Anonymousreply 6005/10/2012

[quote]one has to wonder how Bachmann and her fellow Republicans would react if a Democrat did something like this.

Did you not read the article? It's very clear--She did it for the children!

Family values, Motherhood, self-sacrifice, and obedience to the wishes of her husband-- the woman is a saint.

by Anonymousreply 6105/10/2012

[quote]Family values, Motherhood, self-sacrifice, and obedience to the wishes of her husband-- the woman is a saint.

Hades saint of the Styx.

by Anonymousreply 6205/10/2012

Rep. Michele Bachmann, a Minnesota Republican and former presidential candidate, announced Thursday that she was withdrawing her dual Swiss citizenship, which Politico first disclosed earlier this week.

In a statement, Bachmann said she did not want to leave the impression that she was uncommitted to the United States.

Today I sent a letter to the Swiss Consulate requesting withdrawal of my dual Swiss citizenship, which was conferred upon me by operation of Swiss law when I married my husband in 1978.

by Anonymousreply 6305/10/2012

While Bachmann says she automatically became a Swiss citizen when she married her husband, Marcus, in 1978, Politico's Tim Mak reports that the marriage was only disclosed to Swiss authorities this year when the couple registered their children for dual citizenship.

Bachmann is currently running for re-election in Minnesota's 6th Congressional District.

by Anonymousreply 6405/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!