Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Memory loss after surgery...

Is this a common thing? My friend had some major surgery in October and has been struggling to find words ever since. He needs to go to a doctor, right?

by Anonymousreply 1808/01/2013

I believe anesthesia can impact memory, and the effects can take some time to diminish.

by Anonymousreply 105/07/2012

He should be checked for any lingering infections. Urinary tract infections often mimic the signs of dementia -- confusion, paranoia, etc. If your friend was catheterized in the hospital, that is the main cause of urinary tract infections. Some UTIs are resistant to many antibiotics and a "cocktail" must sometimes be arranged to treat it.

by Anonymousreply 205/07/2012

Could he have a UTI and not know it though?

by Anonymousreply 305/07/2012

[quote]Could he have a UTI and not know it though?

Well, usually with a catheterization there will be blood in the urine at a certain point. I'm speaking from recent experience with my Dad. He wasn't himself, Couldn't talk properly, and he knew something was wrong. He seemed to be losing it.

There are some "walking around" infections that just slowly wear you down until you get a diagnosis. Like a Sinus Infection, something like that.

by Anonymousreply 405/07/2012

It could also be drug reactions to meds he received in the hosiptal, OP. Be sure and have all of his meds reviewed. Sometimes hospital doctors refill other hospital doctors' prescriptions without reviewing them, even after the drugs should have been stopped. It could also be dehydration from multiple drugs with diuretic tendencies, even if they're not all prescribed for that reason.

Get his drugs checked out right away, this could cause long term problems, like dehydration or kidney damage, if not addressed. Just bring the prescription bottles in when he goes to the doctor.

Also, if you or a relative can attend his doctor visit, that would be a big help, because people who have recently had anethesia are not the sharpest. It can take months for it to completely wear off, depending on the person. If everything checks out ok, make sure he drinks lots of water, it will help flush out remaining traces of anesthesia.

by Anonymousreply 505/07/2012

what kind of surgery? how old was patient?

I knew a woman who had all kinds of wacky symptoms post-surgery; turns out they left a sponge inside her before closing her up.

You need to really be a squeaky wheel.

by Anonymousreply 605/07/2012

He could have picked up any manner of infection from hospital. People are also suffer clinical depression after a GA.

by Anonymousreply 705/07/2012

Was it heart surgery? That can release debris into the blood stream which lodges in the brain.

by Anonymousreply 805/08/2012

No, stomach surgery. A pretty major one. He's not on any meds these days but we both noticed a difference in him after the surgery. Kind of a "fog"

by Anonymousreply 905/08/2012

R9, that's exactly what I still have after almost 3 years.

I had minor surgery the surgeon fucked up. I was under GA longer than anticipated, and the doctor didn't really care. No follow up until several days later when he decided I needed a blood transfusion. (After I was released he told me, so I had to go back when I was mobile enough.)

My memory is shot, and I have the mind fog.

by Anonymousreply 1005/08/2012

I had that after my surgery. I think.

by Anonymousreply 1105/08/2012

No, OP, your friend shouldn't see a doctor.

He should post all the details of his condition here on DL, and let the highly qualified medical and diagnostic personnel of the Datalounge Medical Group cure all his ills.

by Anonymousreply 1205/08/2012

Heart surgery? He might have "pump head."

by Anonymousreply 1305/08/2012

He's 72, almost 73. He's going to see his doctor next week. Hopefully he won't cover up for the surgeon. This is a pretty common problem.

by Anonymousreply 1405/08/2012

I had this same problem with my memory after gallbladder surgery. I couldn't remember the names of simple items like fork, knife, glass, plate, spoon, etc.

I finally did some research and took a nutritional supplement known to increase blood flow to the brain and to increase the ability of brain cells to produce ATP (cellular energy). Within one week I had my memory back just as good as it was before surgery. The supplement was called Vinpocetine.

by Anonymousreply 1508/01/2013

This probably is not applicable to you, but my father developed dementia very rapidly after hip replacement surgery. A cousin who is a physician told us there is evidence that sometimes the surgery can be responsible, one theory being the little bits of bone marrow and bone enter the blood stream as the bone is being sawed and cause mini strokes. Another theory is brain hormones released during major injury (as the body senses surgery) accelerate an unrecognized early stage dementia. Google "Peter Falk jaw surgery dementia" for a discussion of the actor's extremely rapid deterioration after minor surgery.

by Anonymousreply 1608/01/2013

I don't remember.

by Anonymousreply 1708/01/2013

Sometimes it is better to forget....

by Anonymousreply 1808/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.