Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Robert Downey Jr. chewing every. single. line. in the Avengers

ENOUGH with this old douche already. Isn't he too old to be playing a superhero anyway?

His personal self entitled attitude comes across even when he's in character. Why was this asshole ever beloved and considered a great actor? I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 7702/10/2014

The role is below me.

by Anonymousreply 105/07/2012

[quote]His personal self entitled attitude

Was this supposed to make sense?

by Anonymousreply 205/07/2012

He's laughing all the way to the bank.

by Anonymousreply 305/07/2012

Downey is known as the velvet asshole and Doney Soft in several correctional institutions and he can make one phone call and have a hit placed on you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 405/07/2012

I realize he has some rabid fanbois, but I don't understand the appeal of him. And he's a hammey, bad actor.

by Anonymousreply 505/07/2012

I guess, knowingly or not, he is playing into the camp tradition for superhero movies. I would say knowingly, but he is definitely overdoing it. Would hate to sound like a comic dork (not my crowd) but Tony Stark was a more haunted kind of drunk in the comics. Timothy Dalton would have been perfect. Downey looked a bit buzzed in a few closeups.

by Anonymousreply 605/07/2012

In all of his career, there are only two or three roles in which he hasn't chewed "every. single. line." and even then, he's at best serviceably good, not great.

The only film in which I have any affection for him is "Wonder Boys" (2000) where a combination of controlled direction and a good role ratcheted down the Downey Schtick and worked to his advantage (not the other way around.)

by Anonymousreply 705/07/2012

He's always been horrible. I don't know why the public at large has such a huge boner for him. I guess because he's fairly good looking, and male drug addicts seems to be loved.

by Anonymousreply 805/07/2012

I can;t stand him. He's like Jack Nicholson Jr.: even though he actually CAN act, he coasts and plays the same part (the alcoholic lovable fuck-up) in nearly every film.

Nicholson every so often comes through with a real performance (as in ABOUT SCHMIDT), but he's not been consistently a real actor since about 1976. Downey is going the same route. The only real acting I've seen from him in twenty years was in GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK. Otherwise he's done the same shtick over and over again, even in WONDER BOYS when he was just doing a particularly funny version of the same shtick.

by Anonymousreply 905/07/2012

once you get in and you play some schticky version of yourself you can laugh all the way to the bank.

by Anonymousreply 1005/07/2012

Definitely not star quality. I don't get it either. Anything he's in he seems smug and smarmy. he also looks ill to me. Maybe it's the drugs.

by Anonymousreply 1105/07/2012

Don't forget that horrible version of Sherlock Holmes.

by Anonymousreply 1205/07/2012

[quote]once you get in and you play some schticky version of yourself you can laugh all the way to the bank

by Anonymousreply 1305/07/2012

It simply proves that actors who have lost their humanity no longer are able to play human beings convincingly.

by Anonymousreply 1405/07/2012

I agree, OP. He has to be one of the luckiest untalented people in the business and that is saying a lot.

by Anonymousreply 1505/07/2012

He seems angry and irritable like a dry drunk. Not entertaining to experience.

by Anonymousreply 1605/07/2012

I think he's very talented, but he's one of those people who believes he's far more clever than he really is. Which is why you get these somewhat eccentric, egocentric performances in pop films.

I'd say the last quasi-interesting performance from him was in A GUIDE TO RECOGNIZING YOUR SAINTS. He was amusing enough in the first IRON MAN, but the act got old quickly.

by Anonymousreply 1705/07/2012

I wish he would OD once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 1805/07/2012

I don't think he's a dry drunk. I think he's a drunk drunk.

by Anonymousreply 1905/07/2012

The act has been going on for years, r17.

He totally fucking ruined Zodiac; his was in some ways the pivotal character, but you wouldn't know it from the swishy excess he gave Avery.

The scene in the houseboat was ridiculous. I blame Fincher, too, because he didn't push him past the lazy choices. Fincher is an over-rated paedophile.

I'd love to see Downey channel some of his daemons into a memorable character. The right director might push him into it.

I think he's capable of great acting.

by Anonymousreply 2005/07/2012

I love RDJ, but yeah, the posters are right about him doing the same schtick over and over again. He really is a talented actor, and is wasting his talent in most of his projects. But can't blame the guy for taking all that well-paid, easy work.

by Anonymousreply 2205/07/2012

Im sure hes just taking the money and running at this point. He has been talking about retiring for awhile. When or if he ever does you will just keep seeing him as iron man and sherlock holmes for the next 1125 sequels. I enjoyed him for awhile but now he is just another sell out.

by Anonymousreply 2305/07/2012

r22, It's not the paycheque jobs, per se, but the lack of quality projects in between.

Also, he has a ridiculous amount of money now.

At what point do you ease off on the shiny tights roles?

Whoever thought of that genre for him though was spot-on.

by Anonymousreply 2505/07/2012

R20,

I actually liked him in Zodiac. I thought he played the role with a lot neuroticism and self-destruction (probably drawing on personal experience).

I agree, however, with most of the posters here who find him a scenery chewer.

by Anonymousreply 2605/07/2012

[quote] Fincher is an over-rated paedophile

WTF?

R4, is Downey a witch as well?

by Anonymousreply 2705/07/2012

Speaking of, can we get a David Fincher thread going? With all this shit I read on DL about his 'S&M kinks', 'strange marriage', 'dom' relationship with Rooney Mara (or is it just PR hype for the Dragon Tattoo movies?), bad attitude...it's time.

by Anonymousreply 2805/07/2012

I agree, OP. And I'm glad you said something about the age thing. I've seen thirty-something actresses on this site get trashed as "too old" for even playing *supporting* roles in superhero films, but usually no one says a damn thing about the 50-year-old dude playing the actual superhero.

by Anonymousreply 3008/27/2012

Today's Downey Jr trivia: His dad, Downey Sr., played William Petersen & John Pankow's cynical secret service supervisor in "To Live And Die In L.A." ...a fantastic film!

by Anonymousreply 3108/27/2012

Sadly, for whatever reason, like Charlie Sheen, this guy just keeps getting work and still has a lot of fans...so annoying

by Anonymousreply 3208/27/2012

[quote]Speaking of, can we get a David Fincher thread going? With all this shit I read on DL about his 'S&M kinks', 'strange marriage', 'dom' relationship with Rooney Mara (or is it just PR hype for the Dragon Tattoo movies?), bad attitude...it's time.

I second this. Could some kind soul pls start one? We might get some decent gossip since the PR campaign for the movies is over.

by Anonymousreply 3308/27/2012

At least he'll manage to kill himself some time in the next five years, and then we'll be done with him.

Such a huge hypocrite - too smart to dry out and smug about "getting away with it."

by Anonymousreply 3408/27/2012

If he *allegedly* survived with HIV and a heroin habit so far, I doubt he'll be dead in 5 years, r34.

He's only "getting away with it" because TPTB find him useful. When he's not a box office draw, or his popularity sinks below the level of a niche filling character actor, the stories will probably start to come out. If he is a total diva, it will out eventually.

He's one of the few actors who has a charismatic persona that translates well on the screen and in public appearances. That's a rare thing in Hollywood. They still haven't found that in a younger (35 or under) actor.

I third the Fincher thread request, too. The last one we had on him was quite interesting, but it doesn't come up in a search.

by Anonymousreply 3508/31/2012

Add the fact that Downey is a born-again social conservative and a Republican, and you can see why he's so fucked up. And the pretend sobriety is hysterically funny. He's high in every appearance he makes.

by Anonymousreply 3608/31/2012

Is he still bisexual, or has he gladly given up the man2man side of his life with the love of a good woman?

by Anonymousreply 3708/31/2012

R37...he denies ever having been bisexual now, which is ironic since he was once pretty much out. He's right-wing now.

by Anonymousreply 3808/31/2012

So he was never really out? I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 3908/31/2012

He said a few years ago that his peers thought he was an eccentric bisexual and that he was okay with that b/c being relaxed about sexuality is something you're born with. He didn't actually say that he his bisexuality was a complete lie. In that RollingStone article RDJ was rambling on and on, some sentences related, others didn't. They quoted him as if everything he said related to the question of orientation. Reading all the pieces to that article he didn't saying anything homophobic or claimed that he'd never ever been with a guy. He said that in his youth he didn't have an identity and that he played around (that's acknowledging something). He also mentioned that he was surrounded by pansexual types, that even his butch friends were androgynous.

by Anonymousreply 4008/31/2012

I remember a print interview from the 90s where out of nowhere, he started talking about following a male friend up some stairs and wanting to stick his fingers up the guy's ass.

by Anonymousreply 4108/31/2012

Really, r43?

How many other 50 year old actors played movie superheroes?

OK he's almost 50-but his lifestyle has aged him to the point he looks more than his age, even when put through the industry PR machine.

Oh, and I add to the request list for a separate David Fincher thread. I haven't seen any new project news, either (as well as any more Mara gossip, so I assume that was for the film. Although I don't think it was decided whether or not he was gay.)

by Anonymousreply 4409/06/2012

How shocking! Doesn't he realize how lucky he is to be uttering the deathless prose of Joss Whedon?

by Anonymousreply 4509/06/2012

evening gossip bump

by Anonymousreply 4609/12/2012

Don't knock it, r45.

Would you rather have Ehren Kruger, or Orci and Kurtzmann?

Genre writing has really gone for the shits lately.

by Anonymousreply 4709/12/2012

Interesting how the most scandalous of stars can easily get a family friendly makeover, like Drew Barrymore or RDJ. Nobody in the mainstream even remembers their past.

by Anonymousreply 4809/13/2012

The sticking the fingers up the guys' ass line was in Movieline which used to be great, not even sure it's around anymore. I think he's way overrated, not that good, looks like shit and probably still hits the pipe and sucks dick occasionally.

by Anonymousreply 4909/13/2012

Here's a link to a David Fincher thread that got a few responses in January.

Let's see some dirt!

by Anonymousreply 5209/13/2012

[quote]How many other 50 year old actors played movie superheroes?

There's Mark Ruffalo.

by Anonymousreply 5409/26/2012

IMHO he was right to chew the scenery the way he did. I finally saw the film, and the first half did drag a bit. And as Downey played the one character with a sense of humor, it was up to him to keep things watchable during all the squabbling and exposition. He did his job, camping it up and getting laughs when things were too slow or serious.

And IMHO Chris Evans was the hottest thing in the movie, even if Hiddleston was also terrific. But Evans played a man who's beautiful, noble, strong, gentle... squeee!!

by Anonymousreply 5510/07/2012

I hate that son of a bicth! He can't act to save his life and he's so damn ugly after taking all those drugs when he was loser in the 90's. I hate that asshole and I refuse to waste my money on his shitty movies like that Iron Man garbage.

Fuck you Robert "Crackhead" DOWN-ey Jr!

by Anonymousreply 5705/12/2013

Lots of rumors Downey is back on the stuff. His latest "candid" photo...

by Anonymousreply 5805/20/2013

He isn't old at all! What is he, 49? Harrison Ford was how old when he played Indy? What a lot of people don't get is that your 30s stretch out into your 50s if you use the latest anti aging "jailbreaks".

by Anonymousreply 5905/20/2013

I think he's been off the wagon at least since the first Iron Man hit big. He is an untouchable now because the studio will cover up his bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 6005/20/2013

That said, I ALSO think that like Charlie Sheen his drugging doesn't affect his ability to show up on time and prepared and that he treats his coworkers with respect.

Now whether he has the ability to still give a knock out, REAL performance like he did in Chaplin, instead of mugging and snarking, is the question.

by Anonymousreply 6105/20/2013

Sorry, I meant R60.

by Anonymousreply 6205/20/2013

He's one of the Triumvirate of Greatest Actors Ever To Draw Breath, an honor he shares with Messrs. Depp and diCaprio.

Never before has the world known such breadth and depth of nuanced talent, nor will the stars ever again align in such a happy coincidence. We live in the most fortunate of all times to have these treasures churning out masterful performances at every turn.

Those who contend otherwise must be put to death.

by Anonymousreply 6305/20/2013

Ha! I love what the OP said and couldn't agree more.

I've always cheered for RDJ and his comeback, but he really has become smug and full of himself the last few years.

And while I still find him fun to watch, he's a massive scene chewer on the scale of Pacino and, Lord God King of the Chewing of the Scenes, Bobby Cannavale.

by Anonymousreply 6505/20/2013

After the work Pacino did in the 1970s, he can chew as much scenery as he wants.

by Anonymousreply 6605/20/2013

R64 = Fan frau.

by Anonymousreply 6705/20/2013

Last movie I saw w/RDJ in it was Robert Altman's Shortcuts in the early 90s, r67. (He wasn't bad, though). It just cracks me up how exorcised people get about his unexpected superstardom of late.

by Anonymousreply 6805/20/2013

He was BLASTED in "Short Cuts". Robert Altman sets (at least in the 1970s) were drug-heavy, so I imagine RDJ was coked to the tits during filming.

by Anonymousreply 6905/20/2013

He's a loser and fuck his fanbots.

by Anonymousreply 7005/21/2013

If it weren't for RDJ's daddy he wouldn't be in the acting business, he and Charlie Sheen are a couple of assholes who can't act and their only talent is getting high and drunk.

Nepotism is destroying Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 7105/22/2013

Fuck you [R63]. Downey is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 7205/28/2013

So bloody true it hurts.

by Anonymousreply 7302/10/2014

RDJ and George Clooney make a perfect pair - smug and smug, little talent and little talent, nepotism and nepotism.

by Anonymousreply 7402/10/2014

I never knew DL hated RDJ so much.

by Anonymousreply 7502/10/2014

He really surprised me in Tropic Thunder -- great performance. But other than that, I don't like his movies or his acting.

by Anonymousreply 7602/10/2014

anther reason to hate mel gibson!

by Anonymousreply 7702/10/2014
Need more help? Click Here.