Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Best written comedy on TV, though in a weird way it could be funnier.

The interplay between Selina and her poor neglected unloved daughter tonight was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 9304/17/2015

This was the best episode yet.

I thought the first two were a bit rough, but this one really fired on all cylindars.

by Anonymousreply 105/07/2012

Like all of Julia Louis-Dreyfus's comedies, all the characters are pretty despicable, but despite that they're fun to spend time with.

I felt so sorry for her daughter. The best laugh was the scene where Selina tries to counter her daughter's claims it's always about her, and took her into the side room where they had put all the giant cutouts of her and her appearances on magazine covers.

by Anonymousreply 205/07/2012

You really should see the original BBC series (by Armando Iannucci) The Thick of It, and the movie they made (also with Anna Chlumsky, with a UK-US connection) In The Loop.

actually I noticed that most of the seemingly-out-of-place interactions between the Veep characters in the early episodes were easily explained if you knew which Thick of It characters they corresponded to. Mike is Glenn, which explained the premiere episode hate and his apparent uselessness. Dan is obviously Dan Miller, the savvy climber.

by Anonymousreply 305/07/2012

Okay, tonight's episode wasn't as good as last week's, but it had some great bits.

by Anonymousreply 405/20/2012

This is the funniest show on television. Can't believe it doesn't get more attention here.

by Anonymousreply 506/02/2012

It isn't funny at all.

by Anonymousreply 606/02/2012

I love Matt Walsh on this show! He was kind of my least favorite on the Upright Citizens Brigade TV show back in the day but he's killing me every episode.

by Anonymousreply 706/03/2012

Just discovered it on HBO GO. It's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 806/03/2012

I am catching up on all of the episodes aired so far on Demand. I think its hilarious. I think it has some of the funniest ensemble interplay not seen in awhile. I had no idea the little girl from My Girl was in it ! Nice to see her again..

by Anonymousreply 907/04/2012

""Not good, admitedly." Not good, admitedly will be the title of my fucking memoir!"

Love this show. I just wish they'd make Tony Hale's character a little less Buster-ish.

by Anonymousreply 1007/04/2012

I really like Anna Chlumsky

by Anonymousreply 1103/20/2013

I love this show. The crying episode is hilarious especially when the reporter gets her to cry when she asks her about her daughter. It does suck that they didn't renew Enlightened though while the heinous Girls carries on.

by Anonymousreply 1303/20/2013

Reid Scott as Dan Egan steals every scene he is in. Watch him, because he IS the next Clooney, only taller!

by Anonymousreply 1403/20/2013

Love this show and the ensemble is great. Really looking forward to the new season.

by Anonymousreply 1603/20/2013

I love this show. It's like dirty version of West Wing.

by Anonymousreply 1805/04/2013

The second season is pretty weak so far. I'm a little disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 1905/04/2013

The first two episodes were tough to watch.

The 3rd one was much better, however, the Jonah and Mike scenes continue to be a challenge to watch.

JLD was great on Seinfeld, but everyone knows Jason Alexander, was the funniest on that show.

Christine wasn't funny, couldn't watch it.

by Anonymousreply 2005/04/2013

I tried. I loved Arrested Development and I loved West Wing, so I figured this would be great.

I watched the whole first season and had to force myself to make it through the last few eps. I won't be back for more. The wit has left the building.

"Did the president call? No? Okay."

There, see, now this post is just as funny as the show.

by Anonymousreply 2105/05/2013

I love watching Amy, Anna Chlumsky.

by Anonymousreply 2205/05/2013

Anna Chlumsky was great this week on Hannibal in a Clarice Starling inspired role.

by Anonymousreply 2305/05/2013

Anna has done quite well in her second career.

by Anonymousreply 2405/05/2013

The characters spend most of their time looking at text messages. The manic energy and people who mask their real feelings with forced, fake behavior reminds me too much of work.

I want to relax on a Sunday night, not be reminded of the jerks I have to see on Monday morning. It's why I enjoy watching reruns of Murder, She Wrote.

by Anonymousreply 2505/06/2013

R25 is 60 years old.

by Anonymousreply 2605/06/2013

Anna Chlumsky interview

by Anonymousreply 2707/10/2013

What's better than an Emmy nomination? How about becoming a mom?

Anna Chlumsky has experienced both life-changing events in the past few days. The 32-year-old actress not only received an Emmy nomination for her work on the HBO series "Veep," but she also gave birth to her first baby.

Chlumsky, who rose to fame as a child star in the 1991 movie "My Girl," told People today that she and her husband, Shaun So, welcomed daughter Penelope Joan So on July 11.

"She's a really good mix between my husband and me," the actress said. "When she's with him, you see him, and when she's with me, you see me. She's a perfect mix."

by Anonymousreply 2807/25/2013

Veep reminds me more of Spin City than the West Wing.

by Anonymousreply 2908/04/2013

Flop show. It has one more season at best.

by Anonymousreply 3108/05/2013

Spin City was more gentle, but it highlighted the incompetence of a political staff.

by Anonymousreply 3208/05/2013

R31 has no idea what he's talking about.

by Anonymousreply 3308/05/2013

Reid Scott is the breakout star from this show.

by Anonymousreply 3408/05/2013

"You're a meme, ma'am"

by Anonymousreply 3508/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 3608/05/2013

They want Arnold to be POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 3703/29/2014

Reid Scott is hot. But straight. Other than here, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3803/29/2014

I don't get the show. Shouldn't there be at least one character I should root for? I get that I don't necessarily have to like or "identify" with a character. But there isn't even an antagonist I would root for. Everybody is simply mean to everybody else and that's it. What are Selena's redeeming qualities? When she is not mean she is still incompetent. So what's to like?

by Anonymousreply 3904/13/2014

I get bored by all the heavy cynicism in "Veep" -- no character has a redeeming quality. It reminds me of the old British sitcom "Yes, Minister," which was just as biting. But I liked it much better than "Veep" because Paul Eddington played a character that was likable, even if he was an incompetent ass.

by Anonymousreply 4104/13/2014

this thread really takes pointless bitchery to a whole new level

by Anonymousreply 4204/13/2014

I love it. God help me I'm going to miss Jonah. You can always root for Sue and the character played by Nora Dunn's brother.

by Anonymousreply 4304/13/2014

I did summer children's theatre with Reid Scott back in the days when he was Reid Weiner. He was the Tinman in The Wiz back in 1993. Nice guy, couldn't sing to save his life.

by Anonymousreply 4404/13/2014

r44, DL only cares if you sucked his suck.

by Anonymousreply 4504/13/2014

Anna Chlumsky's character Amy is the most likeable.

by Anonymousreply 4604/13/2014

Explain explain, R45.

by Anonymousreply 4704/13/2014

Do any of you really think that Julia has any depth as an actress?

She plays Elaine in everything she does--from that short lived NBC show with the time or a clock in the title, to Old Christine, to this.

She's OK, but no great shakes. This is definitely NOT the best written show on TV.

by Anonymousreply 4804/13/2014

No it isn't the best. It's just very funny.

by Anonymousreply 4904/13/2014

R48 - Selina is a bit different from Elaine.

by Anonymousreply 5004/13/2014

JLD was very good and not Elaine at all in Enough Said

by Anonymousreply 5104/13/2014

Joanne is right on this one.

She channels Elaine in every role.

I don't dislike her; I just don't think she is award winning caliber.

by Anonymousreply 5204/13/2014

[quote]Do any of you really think that Julia [Louis-Dreyfuss] has any depth as an actress?

Yes, R48.

by Anonymousreply 5304/13/2014

The final episode this season was pretty funny--the president resigned to care for her his crazy wife, so Selina actually became President of the United States. But even so, she came in third the next week in the New Hampshire primary!

by Anonymousreply 5406/09/2014

Wow, Selina really went on an ego trip after she became Pres. She was insufferable. I know she was self-centered but she went off the scale; she was almost unlikable.

by Anonymousreply 5506/09/2014

R55, almost unlikable? When has she been likable?

Reid is so fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 5606/09/2014

The scene with Selina and Gary in the bathroom right after Selina learns that she is about to become POTUS was the best scene of the series thus far. I was dying.

I thought that the third season got off to a rough start after the stellar second season, but it really got back on track. Eagerly awaiting Season 4.

by Anonymousreply 5706/09/2014

I love VEEP but all of the characters speak with the same voice.

by Anonymousreply 5806/10/2014

Love Amy.

by Anonymousreply 5906/10/2014

The best comedy on TV. Iannucci is a genius.

by Anonymousreply 6006/10/2014

I can't believe more people don't watch this. Excellent show.

by Anonymousreply 6106/10/2014

The episode in England was the best - Dan cracking up, the hat, Jonah listing out Dan's ailments.

by Anonymousreply 6206/10/2014

Selina is nothing like Elaine. Neither was Christine.

Elaine was sensible but snarky. Christine was a kind person but pretty immature. Selina is ambitious and kinda mean. I think JLD is such a good comedic actress that the differences are pretty subtle.

Selina was much more likable first season. Not so much this season. I am assuming making her more ambitious and unlikable because she wants to be president, but she was nicer to people last season.

by Anonymousreply 6306/10/2014

I love VEEP, but I go back and forth between VEEP and Episodes as to which one is the better comedy. Episodes may be a little too inside baseball, but both are flawless.

by Anonymousreply 6406/10/2014

The supporting cast is good, but I especially like two of the older characters Kevin Dunn as Ben Caffrey and Phil Reeves as Andrew Doyle.

by Anonymousreply 6506/10/2014

For me, Veep is an acquired taste. I saw some of the season one episodes and had a lukewarm reaction to it. However, I caught some of this season's episodes--including the season finale--and thought they were very funny and really well done.

by Anonymousreply 6606/10/2014

I love that she's such a nasty bitch and has a filthy fucking mouth on her.. and the fact she cares nothing for people at all, she simply has to perform for the cameras.

She's like the Datalounge Party's presidential candidate.

by Anonymousreply 6706/10/2014

I want to tap Gary's hairy hole, is that so bad? He seems like he'd be a total bottom pig.

Also, whatta you think Jonah's like naked? I'm guessing big dick but hairless, and flab.

Serious question: How are they gonna roll this back without having to rename the show? I figure it's a given she can't stay president for long (The show is "VEEP" after all.) What absurd, unbelievable scenario will they come up with to both remove her from office and make her the veep again?

Will the insufferable Chung win and convince Selina to be his VP?

Any guesses by anyone on how that might work? There's no way she's the president for the remainder of the series. there?

by Anonymousreply 6806/10/2014

I liked the core group of Selina, Dan, Amy, Mike and Gary from the earlier seasons. Kevin Dunn and Gary Cole are good actors but they don't add much to the show, IMO.

The actress who plays Katherine is untalented and very homely but since she's Keifer Sutherland's daughter, she gets the role.

by Anonymousreply 6906/10/2014

I wish the show wasn't so enamoured with Jonah. I find him just as tedious as the Veep characters do. And it feels like his role keeps getting larger, even with all the hoops they have to jump through to keep him part of the action.

by Anonymousreply 7006/10/2014

R68 nice fantasy about the actor who plays Jonah, his name is Timothy Simons and he does have a soft flabby body but he shaves it head to toe and has a very tiny penis. The shaving does not make it look larger.

by Anonymousreply 7106/10/2014

They need to be careful on the direction they're taking the main character. She's really turning into a foul cunt. Snarky is one thing (and funny) - just downright nasty, however, makes me want to turn off the television.

by Anonymousreply 7206/10/2014

Dan is so hot; they should have a pool party episode just so the audience can see him in trunks.

by Anonymousreply 7306/10/2014

Loved Dan with his beard. Wish he could have had it longer. And yes, would love to see him getting caught having sex with someone, preferably a male intern.

by Anonymousreply 7406/10/2014

R70 - Jonah should be in small doses.

by Anonymousreply 7506/10/2014

Watching season 3. The SNL skit with Princess Selina was classic, even if you did not know JLD's relationship with the show.

Anna C. Is brilliant as ever as Amy.

by Anonymousreply 7607/22/2014

R65, totally agree. I'll also throw in Dan Bakkedahl (as Roger Furlong) who was just hilarious.

My favorite episode was "Debate."

[quote]The actress who plays Katherine is untalented and very homely but since she's Keifer Sutherland's daughter, she gets the role.

Learn something new every day on DL. Didn't know that was his kid.

by Anonymousreply 7707/22/2014

Mike groveling for Jonah was very funny.

by Anonymousreply 7807/22/2014

The Clovis episode was a gem.

by Anonymousreply 7907/25/2014

When does the next season start?

by Anonymousreply 8011/26/2014

I didn't have HBO when this show started and I want to catch up before it returns, but for some reason it seems to be the only HBO series that's not available on demand (at least through my cable provider.) Is there another way to catch up?

by Anonymousreply 8103/14/2015

next season starts April 12. Same date as final season of Nurse Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 8203/14/2015

Love this show.

by Anonymousreply 8303/14/2015

R81 here again. So no one can answer my question?

by Anonymousreply 8503/14/2015

No great shakes as an actress as she plays very slight variances on Elaine in EVERYTHING she does. On Old Christine I kept waiting for Jerry to walk in.

She's certainly no Lena Dunham. Or Honey Boo Boo. Or Tracee Ross. Or Jenifer Anacin. Or Grace/Mysteries of Laura. What an actress!

Or any of the other fantastic actresses out there today.

by Anonymousreply 8603/14/2015

Are you retarded, R85?

by Anonymousreply 8703/14/2015

R87 NO, but I don't think I have any kind of device that will let me watch HBOGO on my TV. I don't want to watch on my computer.

I have the Amazon Fire Stick, and a couple of Sony BluRay players with Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc., but neither has HBOGO.

by Anonymousreply 8803/15/2015

They're REALLY starting to fuck this show up with the unnecessary cameos and stunt castings like Patton Oswald, who has basically become a universally disliked troll (both figuratively and literally) among those who know who he is. He's not just weird on screen, he's irritating in everything he's in and it's hard to dismiss his non-stop sanctimonious, self righteous Twitter trolling when watching him in anything.

The big moose headed guy from the Drew Carey Show was on last season but, again, why is he or his character suddenly necessary?

I realize this show was slow to grow in popularity and they feel they have to keep expanding for whatever reason, but it had an excellent ensemble cast before. Why stretch that out to the size of Game of Thrones, and with washed-up TV actors nobody knows or cares about??

by Anonymousreply 8904/17/2015

I thought the Season 4 premiere was great. JLD is still at the top of her game and carries the show. Her reading of every line is just flat-out brilliant. "Obsolete metal. Giant dildos."

I like that everything has been shaken up with her ascension to POTUS. No one's job is safe, and it keeps things exciting. I'm interested to see where they take things with Gary. That relationship could get tired, but I trust the writers to do something fresh and unexpected.

R89: I too was annoyed to see the trollish Patton Oswalt, but he seems to be playing a troll on the show so I'll wait and see where it goes. I found it interesting how the office of the VP has a completely new vibe now that it's under new management. It was dark and musky and looked like it smelled of old gym socks.

It makes sense that the cast grows, since Selina has a much larger staff now, but it seems like the core all still get their screen time. I want more of Sue and Kent.

by Anonymousreply 9004/17/2015

[quote]The big moose headed guy from the Drew Carey Show was on last season but, again, why is he or his character suddenly necessary?

I think he's going to end up replacing Amy as campaign manager, which would be great since it would get Amy back to DC and into Selina's orbit. Her character will run our of steam if she's stuck running the campaign all over the country and never with Selina for more than a day.

by Anonymousreply 9104/17/2015

So NOT the best written comedy on TV.

It would be better without Elaine.5.

Tired of JLD and her one note acting, she and her Matthew Perry should both go away.

Who keeps giving these people sitcoms?

My opinion, shared by many, so lovers of VEEP don't bother to knock it.

You would be entertained watching a shopping channel.

by Anonymousreply 9204/17/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!