Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg - Is this guy the biggest, unreported fail in American politics?

Crime in New York has gone up, the scandal of the NYPD under-reporting extremely high numbers of crime has also gone under-reported as well. The NYC education system is in shambles, literally, taxes the highest they've been, rampant development at the cost of small parks, public space and classic buildings, his "iron web" or whatever he calls it of cameras all over the city, higher rates of police abuse, etc. etc. etc.

Why hasn't the fact this fool has been a disaster been reported more often?

by Anonymousreply 6507/25/2013

That's another thing R1.

The subway system increases constantly in cost but is going to hell again. I have relatives who live in the UK and I'm embarrassed everytime the come to visit. The trains will just fucking stop in the middle of the tunnel, they're delayed constantly, stations are shut with little or no notice.

The city is in awful fucking shape and I hear absolutely zero crticism of Bloomberg. Why?

by Anonymousreply 205/03/2012

Because like most other politicians, he's paid off the press, R2. The mass media is nothing but a propaganda machine.

by Anonymousreply 305/03/2012

Because he's wealthy. Once a person enters the public consciousness as a financial success, they're never really thought of as anything else anymore. Look at Donald Trump--looked up to as a capitalist god despite his business failings.

Bloomberg, like Giuliani, has gotten a lot of mileage out of bitching down anyone who has the nerve to begin saying anything less than complimentary to his administration, and counters arguments about the direction the city's moving in with fear-mongering allusions to critics wanting things to be the way they were in the bad old days. Dangle crackheads and hookers in front of the new New Yorker, and you'll get every permission to package and sell the city out from under them.

by Anonymousreply 405/03/2012

Antonio Villaraigosa is a much bigger failure as mayor of Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 505/03/2012

I am not crazy about Bloomberg but can live with him. Ready for him to move on. Curious to see who his successor will be and how well he/she will do.

by Anonymousreply 605/03/2012

I can no longer AFFORD to live in Brooklyn. I blame Bloomberg & all his greedy landlord friends.NYC is turning into the East Coast Beverly Hills, which is just what they wanted all along.

by Anonymousreply 705/03/2012

Gentrification and class segregation has become a phenomenon in Paris, London, and even dumps like Athens and Bucharest. Bloomberg is a proponent of it, but it's a worldwide development.

by Anonymousreply 805/03/2012

He's king of the Indepenndents. The presidential candidates are vying for his endorsement.

by Anonymousreply 905/03/2012

He's built a lot of parkland on West 23rd Street, in the West 50s, and on the East River, which was an eyesore. The Highline was conceived of before his term, but it opened on his watch. He blocked traffic in Times Sq (which I don't really agree with) which is now kinda-sorta green space. He even wanted to turn 34th St into a pedestrian area. So I don't get the "He destroyed green space" charge, although there are other things about his terms I have not liked. The police get away with murder and the buildings department is corrupt.

by Anonymousreply 1005/03/2012

Put out that goddamned cigarette!

by Anonymousreply 1105/03/2012

[quote]Antonio Villaraigosa is a much bigger failure as mayor of Los Angeles.

And yet, he will be giving this year'sNC keynote address.

Most Latinos do not like Israel and the way they treat Palestinians, but he does.

by Anonymousreply 1205/03/2012

NC = DNC

by Anonymousreply 1305/03/2012

Crime is not up, at least not in a major way, in New York.

I don't like Bloomberg for his loyalty to Wall Street over Main Street and for him allowing the NYPD to ride over civil liberties, but let's get the facts right.

by Anonymousreply 1405/03/2012

As of 2012, Bloomberg is the 11th richest person in the U.S.

He owns 88 percent of and has his name on one of the largest media empires in the U.S., particularly in the area of financial media (which are the real opinionmakers that matter to politicians while the political reporters are just like sports columnists at this point).

He is the mayor of the largest city in the United States.

Bloomberg donates hundreds of millions of dollars in charity annually also.

He can make a lot of positive things happen for people in the media and political worlds if they are nice to him, and he has a lot of resources to punish them if they do not bow down to the Bloomberg myth.

by Anonymousreply 1605/03/2012

[quote] Antonio Villaraigosa is a much bigger failure as mayor of Los Angeles.

[quote] And yet, he will be giving this year'sNC keynote address.

[quote] Most Latinos do not like Israel and the way they treat Palestinians, but he does.

Here's a great interview with Debbie Wasserman Schultz regarding Antonio Villaraigosa and the DNC this year.

by Anonymousreply 1905/04/2012

Why do you idiotic cunts keep re-electing him?

Since it's New York, I assume you'll blame the tourists, right?

by Anonymousreply 2005/04/2012

He's pompous and imperious and has turned the NYPD into a paramilitary force.

by Anonymousreply 2105/04/2012

R15, your as big a jerk as R15. Why do you assume that the antisemite is from a flyover area? He's probably your neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 2205/04/2012

He has done a great job cleaning up New York and making it beautiful again, but ultimately I have to agree with r21. He acts like a King. And the way he dealt with the Occupy crowd was detestable. They also had their homes raided before the May Day march, on flimsy pretexts. The NYPD is now acting like the Gestapo.

by Anonymousreply 2405/04/2012

He wants Romney to win over Obama. The guy is a loser!

I hope he drops dead soon. He's ruined New York.

by Anonymousreply 2507/10/2012

One of the few things I give him credit for is increasing green space in the city.

by Anonymousreply 2607/10/2012

That soda better not be more than 16 ounces!

by Anonymousreply 2707/10/2012

If he's so charitable, why doesn't he build lots of affordable housing with his own money?

by Anonymousreply 2807/10/2012

Re: the 300 sq ft apartments --- 10 feet is too narrow. Instead of 30 ft by 10 ft, it should be 28 ft by 12 ft.

by Anonymousreply 2907/10/2012

R17, believe me. Absolutely no one outside of New York gives a shit about your problems or your mayor. Face the facts.

by Anonymousreply 3007/10/2012

I like Bloomberg's small apartment idea. Though they should probably require immunizations to live there. It's going to be like a big college dorm.

by Anonymousreply 3107/10/2012

He's like most New Yorkers: corrupt, stupid, unimaginative, overpaid, closeted, and racist. They keep re-electing him because they don't have to think about what the city should do or should be. They can easily predict it will slide into oblivion, and that's okay with them as long as the whites keep their privileged positions.

by Anonymousreply 3207/10/2012

He's such a failure, NYC's population went up past eight million and still climbing. More and more people are still clamoring to move into the city limits.

Yeah he's a failure, that's why everyone wants to move to NYC

by Anonymousreply 3307/11/2012

[quote]He's like most New Yorkers: corrupt, stupid, unimaginative, overpaid, closeted, and racist

Propositioned Bloomberg in they gym and was turned down because he was too fat

by Anonymousreply 3407/11/2012

Once again, Bloomberg has proved to be a massive failure at handling a disaster.

I honestly thing he may go down as the worst, most destructive mayor in NYC history.

by Anonymousreply 3511/02/2012

I think he'd win a 4th term if he could run again. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 3611/02/2012

He definitely - deliberately - played a hand in killing NYC's polygot cultural mix with his grotesque greed and elitism. No more Basquiats, Ramones, CBGBs, etc. And now his piss poor Sandy response. RIP NYC - Live again. Some day.

by Anonymousreply 3711/02/2012

[quote]Gentrification and class segregation has become a phenomenon in Paris, London, and even dumps like Athens and Bucharest. Bloomberg is a proponent of it, but it's a worldwide development.

This goes hand-in-hand with the under-reporting of crime, an unreported scandal in the US.

As for the mayor of LA, with unemployment in the double digits and tax revenue at all time lows, he's recently given yet another city contract to Israelis -- this time, via the DASH bus system.

by Anonymousreply 3811/02/2012

The NYPD has been proven, not accused, but PROVEN to have lied about crime statistics under Bloomcunt.

Crime has risen steadily.

He's changed the law just to stay in power, with the help of his uncle Tom dyke who plans to run for mayor herself.

He's passed ordinances in order to control the personal, insignificant choices of private citizens.

He was M.I.A. and FAILED during the freak snowstorm two years ago.

He's proven to be an out of touch elitist money lord and has encouraged the transformation of the Manhattan skyline into the next Tokyo, void of any character and oversees the continued destruction of any pre-war structure in Manhattan.

He ignores anything outside of Manhattan.

He has proven to be a complete, moronic diaster in the wake of this hurricane.

He should be hanged in the middle of Central Park.

by Anonymousreply 3911/02/2012

He spends more time on utterly idiotic crap such as banning certain sized soda's and hiding formula in hospitals than he does on pressing issues.

As for "cleaning up" the city, all he did was chase middle and lower classes out and beefed up security. Hardly anything to rave about.

His endorsement of Obama is because he knows NYC needs all the help it can get right now. He wasn't even trying to hide it by saying that Sandy "changed his mind".

I always thought Dinkins got a raw deal. The man couldn't win no matter how hard he fought. Nevermind that he was a democrat. They chased him out and gave the city two of the biggest Freepers ever.

by Anonymousreply 4011/02/2012

Actually, he has been a great mayor for those of you who do not live in NYC. I have all my life. It has never been safer than his terms, the management of the Parks and traffic has never been better- NYC was rated by FEMA as being the best disaster prepared city in the nation- he was integral in passing gay marriage rights in Albany last year, and he has kept unemployment in check despite the recession, and his budgets have been the most responsible of almost any mayor in the history of the city.

As for his money- in his case no one owns him so he does what he wants. He gives gobs of it away, a large part anonymously. Lincoln Center recently completed its renovations and rebuilding. Many have been recognized- of course the major benefactor was the mayor, and his name is nowhere to be found among all the patrons and benefactors, except if you count anonymous.

I think Cristine Quinn (sp?) is a star coming down the pike- otherwise, I see no one to come close to him. We have a pretty good governor too in NY State.

by Anonymousreply 4111/02/2012

[quote]He ignores anything outside of Manhattan.

Agreed. He blatantly now, more than ever, is showing complete disregard for the boroughs.

by Anonymousreply 4211/02/2012

Charlie, I could say the same things for Rudy Giuliani with respect to making the city a safer place to live. He knew how to handle disasters. He showed leadership to all NYC's residents. Rudy didn't ignore the outer boroughs like Bloomberg has.

When I lived in NYC, I only ever lived in Manhattan - so I am not saying this as someone who has lived in the boroughs . However it's obvious by Bloomberg's actions that he doesn't give a shit about the outer boroughs. And that is where the majority of the middle class/working class and even the poor live in Manhattan. This is going to get ugly.

by Anonymousreply 4311/02/2012

[quote]And that is where the majority of the middle class/working class and even the poor live in Manhattan.

Correction:And that is where the majority of the middle class/working class and even the poor live in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 4411/02/2012

Crack down on soda, not on crime. Go to hot dog eating contest. The guy is a hypocritical bastard, who sees himself as a king. He changed the election rules to run again. The guy's dangerous. Watch him try to run again.

by Anonymousreply 4511/02/2012

Oh god, charlie is back.

by Anonymousreply 4611/02/2012

The soda thing he did was just embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 4711/02/2012

How are all of the maids, baristas, wait staff, non-live in domestics, etc. getting to work to serve the riche? Wont someone think of the UES Mommies who cannot get their skinny lattes on the way to get their nails done?!?!!? They will have to spend time with their own children, poor things.

by Anonymousreply 4811/02/2012

[quote]Correction:And that is where the majority of the middle class/working class and even the poor live in NYC.

Second correction: It's where the majority lives (80%) of EVERYONE who lives in NYC. Except of course, for the beautiful people, the rich people, the well-connected people, the media types, the moguls, the celebrities, the young and hip and trendy people...you know, the people that really MATTER.

by Anonymousreply 4911/02/2012

Sorry, but the biggest failure is the electorate that sent him into office and kept him there. You got what you asked for.

by Anonymousreply 5011/02/2012

I'm a staunch democrat. I just can't rationalize voting for a Republican ever.

People who vote Democratic Presidents and Senate but Republicans when it comes to their own neighborhoods amuse me (And there are a few of them). Kind of self defeating. And I can't imagine how they rationalize such ridiculous behavior.

Bloomberg to me isn't great. He hasn't done anything remotely phenomenal. Gillibrand was the driving force in the state on gay rights, and she was very helpful in terms of pushing the repeal of DADT.

True change is working with the citizens you have, not pushing a certain segment of the population out and catering to the elite.

by Anonymousreply 5111/02/2012

Tell the truth, Charlie - you get your paycheck from Bloomberg, right?

by Anonymousreply 5211/02/2012

Thank you, r40. I thought David Dinkins was a good mayor and never got the credit or thanks he deserved from the people of New York.

by Anonymousreply 5311/03/2012

R53, I'd be quite interested to read a few examples of what Dinkins did that would justify the opinion that he was a good mayor. I can think of several things right off the bat that have earned him his place, in a tie with John Lindsay, as the worst mayor of NYC in my lifetime. I'm willing to compare the reasons for my assessment of him with yours, if you like.

However, I will concede that with this most recent disaster as the final clincher, Bloomberg has decidedly pushed those other two contenders down a big notch to a shared second place.

by Anonymousreply 5411/03/2012

[quote]Once again, Bloomberg has proved to be a massive failure at handling a disaster.

On the contrary, he's been brilliant and NYC's handling of this crisis will be a case study in doing it right.

by Anonymousreply 5511/03/2012

Bloomberg has been an outstanding Mayor.

Does anybody recall how racially divided the city was, thanks to years of Giuliani purposefully fanning the flames of bigotry and exploiting differences for political gain? Bloomberg has done a lot to mellow the city out in that regard.

Cigarettes, bike lines, planyc, 2nd Ave Subway and water tunnel no. 3 are a few more examples.

And yes, the "soda ban" is an excellent and enlightened initiative.

by Anonymousreply 5611/03/2012

Not sure if New Yorkers know that the borough president of Brooklyn begged Bloomberg to let in the New York National Guard on Wednesday, and Bloomberg said no, saying he didn't want to use "federal resources."

He's a winner, that Bloomberg!

by Anonymousreply 5711/03/2012

NYC has a 47,000 member police force (including auxiliaries) while many small towns in the surrounding areas needed the federal help. That's why he said no.

by Anonymousreply 5811/03/2012

Why can't we have a Mayor like Cory Booker? Can he be cloned?

Excerpt [quote]Newark Mayor Cory Booker opened his home yesterday to over a dozen of his neighbors who were left without power by Hurricane Sandy. Alice Bell, who took refuge after the storm at the mayor’s house, talked to Politicker this morning and described the slumber party-like scene inside Mr. Booker’s home and what it meant to the people who stayed there.

by Anonymousreply 5911/03/2012

Bloomberg should open his NYC mansionSSS to people, seriously.

by Anonymousreply 6011/03/2012

And yet the population of NYC keeps going up, despite all the problems as it's the best city to live in.

I love how places like San Francisco, San Jose and NYC are declared unaffordable yet the population keeps going up and up.

by Anonymousreply 6111/03/2012

More homeless, R61

by Anonymousreply 6211/03/2012

More homeless due to all the immigrants pouring in to take the jobs and housing.

by Anonymousreply 6311/03/2012

Bloomberg has no heart and can't connect to people. In some ways he's been a very good mayor but in many other ways he's been a disaster. I think his neglect of the "other" boroughs is pretty shameful. In that respect Rudy was much, much better.

Only a tone deaf billionaire would think running a marathon tomorrow was a good idea. The gulf between rich and poor has never been bigger in history than under Bloomberg.

by Anonymousreply 6411/03/2012

I was over Bloomberg but now I'm starting to worry about who will replace him. The current crop of mayoral candidates is really underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 6507/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.