Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Big C on Showtime - This show is gonna be cancelled, right?

I just got to the halfway point of this season's 4th episode and turned it off. I think I'm done.

It's gone from being pretty silly to outright stupid, and I totally love Laura Linney.

Anybody else here watch it? Who the hell is writing this dumb shit? I might be able to stick with it if they matured the writing a little and killed off the stupid brother and fat chick characters but I don't think that's gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 9105/24/2013

Couldn't agree more. The ancillary characters have nothing to do with anything, and the Linney character never really does anything that deals with her cancer except make ridiculous life choices. Pretending to be a flight attendant? Trying to adopt a baby? Please.

by Anonymousreply 105/01/2012

I gave up after watching the first episode of the new season. I agree completely about the brother and Precious--uninteresting and painfully unfunny. Laura Linney deserves better.

by Anonymousreply 205/01/2012

The brother living in the trash the first season grossed me out. I stopped watching then.

by Anonymousreply 305/01/2012

Why did Linney agree to this? She had a pretty good film and theatre career going.

by Anonymousreply 405/01/2012

Linney must have seen red flags, and yet if you listen to her interviews about the show, she acts like it was such gold.

Some of the Sex & the City writers have written episodes for this show, and I think that is the problem. The tone is everywhere. I think it would have been better suited as a Drama instead of a forced comedy.

by Anonymousreply 505/01/2012

"stupid" is the perfect word for this. They need tonletbit die. It's embarrassing everyone involved.

by Anonymousreply 605/02/2012

It's as though someone suddenly had the idea of making a show about a dying woman go for fifteen seasons. The writing was always shit, but now the whole concept and tone has gone completely overboard, grasping at anything and everything.

A husband back from the dead having seen "the white light"; the charlatan feel-good seminar circuit; our lead character taking up a separate persona at her local drinking hole (where everyone knows her fake name); a live-in 600-lb. Gabourey Sidibe whose huge fucking head is wider than my waist and whose presence gets stranger by the moment; a revolving door of characters introduced and killed off or abruptly ejected; and now adopting a baby as some sort of preventative against death by cancer? What's next, a cute, tousle-haired "cousin" who mysteriously comes to live with the family when the adopted baby becomes a pimply pre-adolescent in Season 12?

Did they get one of those crazy bitches from the Cancer Treatment Centers of America to write this shit?

The only hope now is to kill this whole enterprise and for everyone involved to lie low for a while and change their names.

by Anonymousreply 705/02/2012

I gave up after the second season.

There was really only one thing in the second season that was worth watching, and that was when her son found the garage full of presents for him for all the birthdays and christmases after she's gone. I lost it on that scene. It was played perfectly.

But dear god, the whole show is so ridiculously contrived. And I ended up just really not caring any more about any of the rest of it. I think I might have watched the first show of the third season before giving up, I'm not sure. I don't even remember.

by Anonymousreply 805/02/2012

I watch it for John Benjamin Hickey, whom I find really hot in spite of the way they grunge him up for the show.

At least one of the writers must read DataLounge. Did anyone catch that line of Victor Garber's in the last episode?

by Anonymousreply 905/02/2012

[quote]I gave up after watching the first episode of the new season.

EXACTLY my situation. I love Laura Linney and really tried but simply couldn't watch beyond the first episode.

Sorry Laura.

by Anonymousreply 1005/02/2012

This could be bad for Linney's career.

by Anonymousreply 1105/02/2012

Wasn't U.S. of Tara also on Showtime?

I think the two shows must have the exact same writers.

by Anonymousreply 1205/02/2012

R13, I'm wondering if she's locked in to the contract for as long as they produce the series.

I would think she has an out at some point, but she may have locked-in for five years so yeah, that would suck to be on a failing, panned program and HAVE to shoot it for 2-3 years after you've given up on it.

by Anonymousreply 1405/02/2012

..I'll also add that I didn't have much of an opinion of Gabby Sidibe's character other than she isn't a very good actress, but the character has become loathsome and obnoxious. And I find her new afro-empowerment shtick, which I know we're all supposed to applaud her, but it's racist and tiresome, especially when she referred to another major character as "whitey". *cue laughter* FAIL

by Anonymousreply 1505/02/2012

Cathy's initial diagnosis gave her a year to live and each season of the show is set in a different season of the year (fall, winter, etc.) My guess is it'll come back for one more season after this and that'll be it. They already decreased the episode order from 12 to 10 for this season, so it won't be a very big commitment to see the show through to its conclusion.

by Anonymousreply 1605/02/2012

I'm guessing that Linney's paycheck has been one motivation for her. She doesn't work all that much in movies and hasn't been on Broadway for quite a while.

by Anonymousreply 1705/02/2012

Actually R16, most, if not all of last season was filmed in the winter. I think maybe they had a Thanksgiving episode but still.

And this season has been all wintry as well. I think the series began in late summer because I remember she wanted a pool and she wanted it soon, before the cold set in.

If they closed out the series with four weather seasons, I suppose that would be the most artistic, classiest thing about the series so far. And if I knew there were a set number of seasons, I'd stick it out.

The way it's going though, I'm just not interested in sticking around. She's fresh faced and perky and doing something "wacky" in every scene. She's NEVER sick or sitting around or anything.

And that fucking gross ass guy who plays her brother. KILL that guy off already. We've had to suffer some of the most disgusting moments I've ever seen on television with this guy and I still haven't gotten over him showing his puss filled ingrown toenail. It's just STUPID all around and Linney is so undeserving of it all.

by Anonymousreply 1805/02/2012

What was she nominated for Oscars for? I don't know much about her movie career.

by Anonymousreply 2005/02/2012

I tuned out after I saw Cynthia Nixon's tits and Hickey's aging ass (yet again) in an episode. The show is one of the crudest on television.

by Anonymousreply 2105/02/2012

But R21, you missed all of Hickey's scenes on infected toes and dirty asses and his making love to the hair on Cynthia Nixons titt and....

Yeah, it's disgusting. I know they're trying to make him out to be some crude naturalist free-spirit, but it's just nasty, something even frat boys wouldn't find funny.

The guy looks like he'd have disgusting body odor and he chews every scene he's in like a fucking human VitaMix.

by Anonymousreply 2205/02/2012

It is a truly terrible show. Loved Victor Garber last ep though. And yes, r9, I caught that DL ref.

That girl from Precious is an aggressively bad actor and the storyline just compounds her limited talent.

The secret bar identity could be interesting but I feel it will just peter out unresolved.

I really like Laura Linney but this is such a missed opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 2305/02/2012

For that matter, John Benjamin Hickey deserves better, too. Something about this show forces good actors to overact, perhaps to compensate for the terrible writing.

But he and Victor must have enjoyed working together. They used to date back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 2405/03/2012

R24, that Hickey guy is an awful actor. Why must every line and scene be played by a scream or yell?

He's hands down the worst male actor on television.

by Anonymousreply 2505/03/2012

The writing is wildly uneven, the situations contrived, and the acting mostly bad ... yet I like it in spite of itself.

I suspected Victor Garber and JBH had a history, R24.

by Anonymousreply 2605/03/2012

Nice glimpse of Gabriel Basso nude in last night's episode.

by Anonymousreply 2705/14/2012

I'll still TRY to watch, but I do agree, what was once promising is now dull.

Gabby's character could have been decent had they followed the Russian needs a passport line...but now she's just fucking annoying and entitled.

The brother? The frozen toilet? Frozen pipes ... jumping the shark way too soon esp with a stranger giving cc #s over the phone and the guy's voice doesn't even sound like VG.

Her writing FUCK and BITCH on her walls? Unnecessary and not funny.

Her getting drunk, flipping off her teacher, embarrassing the hot son (where he could NEVER recover)...all like Fonzie putting on his pleather jacket and water skiing over the shark.

by Anonymousreply 2805/14/2012

Again, I find John Benjamin Hickey hot, but it stretches credibility more than a little for crazy, disheveled Sean to be the fucktoy of an upscale bi swinger couple.

by Anonymousreply 2905/14/2012

I'm watching the 4th episode of the current season. Just heard the, "Corn? When did I eat corn?" line.

by Anonymousreply 3005/17/2012

I watched the show for a few seconds and stopped watching. Laura Linney is so wondrtful no way in hell would see be married to Oliver Pratt. That actor can only be tolerated in very small doses...

by Anonymousreply 3105/17/2012

[quote]At least one of the writers must read DataLounge. Did anyone catch that line of Victor Garber's in the last episode?

The corn thing isn't a DataLounge exclusive, it's a bit of ancient theater lore. To that end, I wondered if it may have even been an ad-lib by Garber.

by Anonymousreply 3205/17/2012

Was that really Gabriel Basso's ass in the last episode? The edit was very strange. He face was turned away when you see the ass, and then it goes into the close face shot for his line.

by Anonymousreply 3305/20/2012

So now Linney's character is driving cars through tents and brandishing pistols at people who piss her off? She must HATE these scripts.

by Anonymousreply 3406/04/2012

John Benjamin Hickey is, like Brian F. O'Byrne, a really good stage actor yet extremely uninteresting on film.

by Anonymousreply 3506/04/2012

Having Susan Sarandon get hit by a bus was some of the worst writing I've seen in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 3606/04/2012

Erm, people, Laura Linney has been a producer on this show since the very beginning. It has always been rubbish and you could tell in the first season, regardless of what their intentions were, they were trivialising cancer.

by Anonymousreply 3706/04/2012

There's a show called "The Big Cunt" on TV now? Amazing..... Why wasn't I asked to be on it?

by Anonymousreply 3806/04/2012

[quote]Was that really Gabriel Basso's ass in the last episode? The edit was very strange. He face was turned away when you see the ass, and then it goes into the close face shot for his line.

by Anonymousreply 3906/04/2012

[quote]Having Susan Sarandon get hit by a bus was some of the worst writing I've seen in a long time.

The joyologist gets hit by a bus? Now I wanna see the show.

by Anonymousreply 4006/05/2012

This season has jumped the shark. I wish the husband would've stayed dead. He's the most annoying character...

by Anonymousreply 4106/06/2012

So now, with no money or means of support, she's going to live with an impoverished Latino fisherman and his wife? Terrific writing!

by Anonymousreply 4206/18/2012

As I said in another thread, a friend of mine on the crew said a fourth season is very much up in the air and they're not very optimistic now, especially since Showtime has announced a fifth season of NURSE JACKIE as well as two new series.

by Anonymousreply 4306/18/2012

Why not just a subtle, honest view of what it's like to live with cancer?

Oh, right. It's Showtime.

by Anonymousreply 4506/18/2012

I could be wrong, but I THINK the 4th season is already shot and in the can.

by Anonymousreply 4606/18/2012

No, R46, it hasn't. The third season wrapped two months ago with the shoot in Puerto Rico. My crew friend said the fourth (and final) season was supposed to start shooting in September.

by Anonymousreply 4706/18/2012

I've really been rooting for this show to get better, but last night confirmed they've thrown in the towel.

Can I just say how lame the "Ababu" storyline for poor Gabby Sidibe has been? What is this, 1973?

by Anonymousreply 4806/18/2012

Someone on the show must have agreed with you, r48, since now the Ababu heritage is in her heart.

by Anonymousreply 4906/18/2012

Has the show been renewed?

by Anonymousreply 5006/19/2012

No announcement yet, R50.

by Anonymousreply 5106/19/2012

I found this season just so offensive, the brother is just gross, the son having anal sex was gross and the show is just off the wall and jarring. It feels so cobbled together and the finale?? WTH was that?? Spoiler alert here if anyone cares... she goes off on the boat with the non english speaking guy named Angel? She said her son was the best thing in her life, and she just left her entire family thinking she is dead. I basically hate everyone on this show. They all are annoying now. I too am a huge Laura Linney fan, but this show is awful. They could of done so much with it.

by Anonymousreply 5207/01/2012

At least one of the writers responsible for this dreck is Cusi Cram, who originated the role of Cassie Callison (Dorian's daughter) on OLTL.

by Anonymousreply 5307/01/2012

I think they are going to go for a Shirley Valentine type scenario, where she tries to escape from her life by running away to a remote island. Maybe next season will be the last, if at all. The whole cancer thing makes it finite, anyway. Whether she dies or is cured, either way, premise gone.

by Anonymousreply 5407/01/2012

Still no announcement. It ain't looking good.

by Anonymousreply 5507/01/2012

I just caught up from the fake pregancy reveal to the finale. That is some of the absolutely worst writing I've ever witnessed and, although I enjoy JB Hickey as an actor, there is really not a single likable character on the show. It's amazing that they've managed to make everyone detestable. There's no way to fix it, just cancel it.

by Anonymousreply 5607/09/2012

It's sad this show became so horrible in the third season. It's completely absurd. I wish Paul had died. He is so annoying. I don't understand why Adam is such a jerk. LMAO @ the slutty Christian runs through traffic and takes it in the ass cuz she's saving herself. So ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 5712/30/2012

I hung in there for the first 2 seasons but the third season was the topper. I stopped after the first 2 episodes. I love Laura Linney but hate her character and every other character on this show. It had a good premise but it became a mess.

by Anonymousreply 5812/30/2012

The Big C will end with four one-hour episodes. No air date yet.

by Anonymousreply 5912/30/2012

The Big C will return as a four part, 1-hour long each mini-series on Monday, April 29.

Some of the details in the article at link.

I'm going to tough it out and watch till the end, but they should have realized they made this show and its cast a laughing stock over a year ago and ended it.

It's beyond absurd. The final episodes will include fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi as himself, (apparently he's playing a mentor to the obnoxious 'Precious' chick whose character is into fashion design. Nevermind that she's still in high school.. she still lands a famous designer as a "mentor") and Kathy Najimy as some sort of therapist.

Show's producers refuses to say if Cathy, the lead character, is dead now or will die in the end.

At this point, I'd be surprised if I'm not the only DLer still talking about the car wreck of a show.

by Anonymousreply 6001/16/2013

"Precious" better save her money.

by Anonymousreply 6101/17/2013

I've really tried to cheer for Gabby Sibede but both from this show and watching her in interviews, I just can't find a lot to like about her.

by Anonymousreply 6201/17/2013

The entire cast is just painful to watch, even LL, who I generally adore.

Her gross brother is even more insufferable than the Precious chick.

by Anonymousreply 6301/17/2013

Yes, they all deserve better. Except Oliver Platt. He makes me ill.

by Anonymousreply 6401/17/2013

How much food in a day do you think Precious has to eat to maintain that weight?

I bet her shits are huge.

by Anonymousreply 6501/17/2013

Did anyone see the premier of the final "season", which will actually only be four 1 hour long episodes?

What did you think? I haven't seen it yet. Here's a review from EW. It's not pretty.

by Anonymousreply 6604/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 6704/30/2013

I'll watch the last four hours although they probably screwed up by calling it The Big C: The Hereafter. My program manager on my DVR didn't pick it up and thus didn't record it. My guess is a good number of others didn't get it recorded either. Thanks to this thread, I recorded the new series. Agree that it jumped he shark but I'll see how it ends up...

by Anonymousreply 6804/30/2013

I gave up last season in spite of my adoration for Susan Sarandon. I hated the direction they took and found Oliver Platt to be incredibly annoying. I wish they'd have killed him off in the second season...

by Anonymousreply 6904/30/2013

R69, they should have killed him off along with Precious and the gross, irritating, scene chewing brother.

by Anonymousreply 7004/30/2013

Is Gabby Sidebe gone from this season?

In the review it mentions Paul's new assistant. I take that to mean Precious is gone?? Did they explain where/why?

Also, it's amazing that we're STILL supposed to be buying that fat Oliver Platt wrote two blogs entries and somehow got immediately noticed and then picked-up by an international inspirational speaking star and is, somehow, mind-blowingly, famous in his won rite?

WOW. Do you think any of the writers are scratching their heads and wondering why they're out of jobs??

by Anonymousreply 7104/30/2013

Everyone chews the scenery in this show. The new season is even more cutesy and overbearing. And Linney is the worst.

by Anonymousreply 7205/01/2013

Gabriel Basso has grown up quite nicely.

by Anonymousreply 7305/01/2013

R73, he is getting really sexy, isn't he?

And yes, this show is Linney's worst acting in her career. Everyone on the show is absolutely horrible and Alan Alda seems embarrassed to be a part of it.

The disgusting brother character is the most awful and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 7405/01/2013

I just watch it to see John Benjamin Hickey play an overt heterosexual. At least he's not the homeless bipolar from season one.

by Anonymousreply 7505/01/2013

Anybody still watching this crunchy mess?

There are two episodes left to the series. It's slightly, SLIGHTLY better as far as acting but still absolutely ridiculous as far a believability.

by Anonymousreply 7605/09/2013

Oliver Platt looks like utter hell -- like a heart attack waiting to happen.

by Anonymousreply 7705/14/2013

[quote]As horribly, embarrassingly bad as this show has been, I've been watching these last four episodes and it's made me very, very sad.

[quote]I suppose it was always a given she'd die, but it's still heartbreaking.

Totally agree. It's been so frustrating to watch, but I'll probably cry like a sissy-Mary next week.

by Anonymousreply 7905/16/2013

Time for we DL The Big C fans to anticipate the ending of tonight's series finale... All three of us!

Oh, wait. She's gonna die. Oh well.

Will we see Marlene? Will Oliver Platt have gained another 30lbs this episode? Will we get to see Adam nude as he gets dressed for the funeral? Will Gabby Sidibe have gained another 30lbs this episode? Will the horrible actor/character of her Cathy's brother finally put a gun to his head?

I wanna see snow and a depressing city!

by Anonymousreply 8105/20/2013

Whatever, whatever but the lovely Laura Linney gave an Emmy award winning performance last week, she was brilliant, her best work and she has Oscar nominations. I will watch tonight but I know she will break my heart.

by Anonymousreply 8205/20/2013

I love LL also R82 but not sure I'd go as far as saying last week's performance was "Emmy winning".

She's an incredibly fine actor but she's only as good as the material she has to work with.

I fail to see how the character walking down a runway with a walker or deciding to drive wackily through town makes for Emmy potential. Some of the lines she delivered were good, but still cheesy and blatantly set-up. This series could have been so much better I think. Then again, I'm no writer so I suppose it's a lot more difficult than it looks.

(and for the last time... OLIVER FUCKING PLATT as Laura Linney's HUSBAND?! WTF?!?)

by Anonymousreply 8305/20/2013

[quote]I fail to see how the character walking down a runway with a walker or deciding to drive wackily through town makes for Emmy potential.

Well sorry if that's all you took from her in the entire 60 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 8405/20/2013

While this show disappointed me many times during the run, I have to say I LOVE LL and think she is an incredible actress, even with so-so material.

I never understood the character of Andrea in this scenario or the casting of Oliver Platt as her husband. **SPOILER** However, the young man Gabriel Basso (Adam) really blossomed in the role and the most touching part of tonight's finale for me was his graduating. Having a close loved one die this past year of cancer, I can say that it portrayed some things incredibly accurately while taking some far fetched scenarios a bit to far for my taste.

All in all, I feel this show opened up dialogue about terminal cancer and made it ok to joke about it while taking still dealing with it very seriously. I can't say enough about Laura Linney, she is just incredible and very deserving of an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 8505/20/2013

Haven't seen it yet R85 but nice post.

Yes, it was a horrible show, with the exception of these final two episodes.

I think Linney did a very good job, particularly lately, with what she had to work with. The character was undeniably unbelievable most of the time but the message they were trying to push across still came through in Linney's character.

As for Platt, I could have done without him. As for Precious, I still don't understand her character and as much as I try to love Gabby Sibide, I find her irritating and just not cut out for acting.

I don't mind spoilers so, can anyone elaborate a little on the finale for me? Apparently Adam graduated. Was anything resolved on Paul's "career" as a 'suddenly famous' motivational speaker?

Did Cathy die at home or at the hospice and did Marlene make any appearances?

I'm glad Linney's now out of this show and able to move on to bigger and better things; she deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 8605/21/2013

Brian Dennehy really hit the wall. I know everybody gets old, but he had a daddy-bear thing going on for quite a long time.

by Anonymousreply 8705/21/2013

In the minority, I guess, but I thought LL overacted badly, as did everyone in the show. Director's fault, I guess. Mugging was rampant.

Only thing about the finale that surprised/impressed me was the death of the Alan Alda character.

Also surprised that they didn't show the brother surviving the operation.

by Anonymousreply 8805/21/2013

I loved the first season. I admit that season 2 and 3 weren't good. Oliver Platt is dreadful.

This last season has made me sad.

by Anonymousreply 8905/21/2013

r86 *SPOILER* Cathy did die at home with no one around her except her Hospice caretaker. She basically said her "last words" of "Lucky me" in front of her family earlier that morning. Adam took accelerated classes on the sly so that his mom could see him graduate (cap & gown and all). That scene really got to me..Basically, the previous shows just led up to Cathy making sure all things were in their place when she died and they were. She made peace with her father. Marlene was in the final scene in a built in pool along with the dog....I think what they were going for was despite love and devotion of family, ultimately, we all die alone. I think they wrapped it up nicely after many bumpy roads along the way.

by Anonymousreply 9005/21/2013

I just this minute finished watching the finale, and of course I am in tears. I was my mother's sole caregiver for many years until she died (at home, with me sitting next to her bed), and my best friend's wife died two years ago of brain cancer after several months of agony; my friend even tried to take his own life.

I recognize the series' weaknesses, but there was something compelling about how flawed all of the characters were. The final two episodes were really quite beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 9105/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!