Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Someone please explain how illegal immigrants get free healthcare in California.

Free OB/GYN to have their babies, free ER, free Dr appts. Who pays for this? Do they just walk in and get free care?

by Anonymousreply 7604/04/2015

[quote]Who pays for this?

Taxpayers do. But because the economy is so shitty, they're all returning to their home countries. So there's that.

by Anonymousreply 105/01/2012

taxpayers. as the economy gets better they will be back.

by Anonymousreply 205/01/2012

Free obstetric appointments -- that's easy. Pushed for by the right-to-life movement. But it's that way for all pregnant women in this country -- citizen or not. Any pregnant woman can apply for Medicaid for pregnancy and post-partum care involving any issues related to the pregnancy itself (for instance, post-partum depression).

Free ER: Well, for the illegal immigrant it's "free" in practice. They go to the ER and by law they cannot be turned away. But many give phony addresses and/or phone numbers to the hospital when they are registered. This means that when the hospital sends the bill, the hospital will never collect and absorbs/passes on the cost. Granted -- MANY American citizens use this ruse as well.

Free regular appointments: haven't heard of that one. If anyone goes to an underserved clinic, they'll pay a small fee to be seen, usually.

by Anonymousreply 305/01/2012

Grenell? Is that you?

by Anonymousreply 405/01/2012

It's not just the illegals getting free health care, it's anyone without medical insurance. Working poor, young freelancers who don't think they'll get sick, misers who don't want to pay premiums. If they get really sick, they come to the hospital and never pay a cent, and Medicare and Medicaid won't cover them either. Nobody ever pays, it comes out of the hosptial's budget, and the costs get passed around to everyone else.

This is why I'm for universal healthcare, just so all medical treatment gets paid for. Yes, I know some of you hate the idea of paying for other people's health care, but the fact is you're already paying for it indirectly.

by Anonymousreply 505/01/2012

R5 is 100 percent correct.

by Anonymousreply 805/02/2012

R7, WTF? Not OP, but I don't see that in his post.

by Anonymousreply 905/02/2012

r13, wow. We need to nuke this system and start all over. With insurance companies raking in so much money, I don't see how we will ever get universal health care in place.

by Anonymousreply 1405/02/2012

I don't understand why they aren't sent back to whatever country they come from after they get treated at hospitals. Don't hospitals require identification, especially a social security number? When these people can't provide it, doesn't that raise flags?

by Anonymousreply 1505/02/2012

Reply13 is full of shit. I work in healthcare. No one with chronic illnesses just goes home and dies. All drug companies offer free chemo for the poor and the hospital in out town treats poor cancer patients daily.

by Anonymousreply 1605/02/2012

R13 is full of shit. When I worked for a oncology drug company, we gave millions of dollars worth of free drug away. You just had to live here, not be a citizen. No one is going o be denied cancer care because of their ability to pay. If you say that's not true...you're not asking for help.

by Anonymousreply 1906/04/2012

Bahahaha, that's funny. Citizens deserve it for being so close-minded. This is the country you recite so much allegiance to. Where's your pride now?

by Anonymousreply 2007/30/2012

Yeah, keep telling those right wing lies about how the poor with no insurance get treated for cancer in this country.

Warning, the video I linked to is graphic.

by Anonymousreply 2207/30/2012

r13 is right on target.

by Anonymousreply 2507/30/2012

I just ask the doctor to check on Consuela if he wouldn't mind, when he's checking Rafalca.

by Anonymousreply 2607/30/2012

ICE should set up operations at all ER's and Home Depots throughout CA, NV, TX, AZ and NM.

by Anonymousreply 2807/30/2012

Free ER care for a true emergency is guaranteed in all states due to Emtala.

by Anonymousreply 2907/30/2012

R5, doesn't know what the fuck she/he's talking about. Hospitals will hound for their money. You can set up a payment plan, make all your payments on time and the hospital will still send your account to a collection agency. 75% of most bankruptcies are because of unexpected medical expenses

[quote] Free ER: Well, for the illegal immigrant it's "free" in practice. They go to the ER and by law they cannot be turned away. But many give phony addresses and/or phone numbers to the hospital when they are registered. This means that when the hospital sends the bill, the hospital will never collect and absorbs/passes on the cost. Granted -- MANY American citizens use this ruse as well.

They do that with immigrants (let them in w/o ID), but American citizens have to show two forms of I.D in the ER. If you walk in to the ER you have to show I.D and you have to sign a statement saying you will pay them back or they send you to a collection agency. If you come into the ER in an ambulance, they aren't going to hound you for ID. And for all the unpaid cases that the hospital does absorb the costs, they pass it on to cash paying patients (because they can). Insurance companies have contracted to pay certain rates with the hospital. But patients who don't have insurance pay outrageous fees for services that insurance companies only pay a percentage of

[quote] Free regular appointments: haven't heard of that one. If anyone goes to an underserved clinic, they'll pay a small fee to be seen, usually.

If they have medicaid they can have their own general practitioner and get all the free regular appointments they want

by Anonymousreply 3007/30/2012

So R19 I could go in and claim to be poor to get free cancer treatment? Why aren't thousands doing this instead of being ruined financially?

by Anonymousreply 3107/30/2012

R19 was saying you CANNOT get free cancer treatment. Only emergency services.

by Anonymousreply 3207/30/2012

Sorry, I read the wrong reply...ignore my above post!

by Anonymousreply 3307/30/2012

Go get professional help, r33.

by Anonymousreply 3407/30/2012

I'm right on top of that, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 3507/30/2012

Let Them Die!!!

by Anonymousreply 3707/30/2012

DROWN THEM AT BIRTH!

by Anonymousreply 3807/30/2012

I was a nurse in the local county hospital (ICU, then follow-up care with discharged patients) and we allowed all undocumented (and all uninsured paatients) one "free" post-discharge clinic visit, but after that we referred them to La Clinica de la Raza.

We didn't just leave them floundering.

by Anonymousreply 3907/30/2012

It's not just California Sweetie. Most of the other states are doing the same.

by Anonymousreply 4007/30/2012

And do they come in expecting the medical staff to speak to them in Spanish as well?

by Anonymousreply 4107/30/2012

[quote]an illegal immigrant with no means who is in serious need of healthcare is allowed to die?

Used to be that way before TPTB declared them to be Special Beings and above the law instead of outside of it.

Back before all that, illegals understood they were illegal and if they were sick, they went home, they went to get medical care and after treatment were subsequently deported, or they died.

by Anonymousreply 4207/30/2012

[quote]Working poor, young freelancers who don't think they'll get sick, misers who don't want to pay premiums. If they get really sick, they come to the hospital and never pay a cent, and Medicare and Medicaid won't cover them either.

But how do they not pay a cent? Do they all give phony addresses? Or do they just ignore bills and go into debt and have bad credit.

by Anonymousreply 4307/30/2012

I was unemployed for several months and couldn't afford to buy health insurance, and it was scary. The whole time I wondered what would happen if I got sick or got into an accident. Nobody should have to worry about things like that. If something had happened to me in those months with no insurance, I would have thousands of dollars in medical bills. It is terrible that this is allowed to happen in the US.

by Anonymousreply 4407/30/2012

Are you loons this insane or just woefully uneducated and under thinking everything? The game being played is from the extreme left, which is pulling in all of the left and creating a divide of unheard proportions in this country that will ultimately tear our fabric apart and ruin us. That is their end game.

Healthcare is not the issue, it's the rule of law so that politicians or government cannot begin to pick winners and losers to earn a vote. It's always been about that.

We must...must...must follow the law. If the law is bad, change it legally. Otherwise, those who justify breaking the rules because it has to do with one's health, had better prepare themselves for government deciding to lay unheard of regulations or taxes on each of you without having to go through the constitutional provision of a vote by our legally appointed representatives.

I do not work in the healthcare industry. I am now a small business owner, who has actually worked in Fortune 200 companies for my entire life. I have seen the encroachment of government and I don't like it a bit. Not a bit. For my children, and their children, I am afraid. We are taking the greatest country in the history of the world and trying to rewrite history and make people on the side of changing it. Even our worst treated citizens, those previously spoken of in this blog, have had it infinitely better than even the best citizens of most countries. Yet if you listen to the left, the hate mongers and the criminally gifted verbal manipulators, they will have you believe America has been this this mean spirited country who has trodden on many people. Baloney....horse hockey....nothing could be more misrepresented. We have been a country of self liberties, where you benefit from personal effort, individual education and self improvement, which in turn creates a citizenry of talented people who kick butt against any and all other countries who would eventually try to take what we have; either by force or economically. They will WIN if we continue to allow this message from the left to penetrate into our thinking and change our country.

by Anonymousreply 4509/13/2012

A country that doesn't defend its borders is an oxymoron.

by Anonymousreply 4609/13/2012

In my state it's easy. You simply say you're pregnant and you go automatically on medicaid. They don't want to risk a fetus's health.

The thing is it's FULL medicaid as run by the state, not just pre-natal stuff. The problem is that they do a pregnancy test and the results take about two weeks.

I've known women to do this just to get the doctor's appointment. They go in, say they are pregnant, get what they need done quickly, then go home and call back a day or two later and say they got their period.

Even if they throw you off in a couple of weeks it's easy to claim you're knocked up. They are not allowed to check, in my state, whether or not you're illegal, so it's easy to abuse the system.

And even if they find out you're illegal, they can't tell anyone.

And even if you know try reporting an illegal. I tried to report someone I know is illegal at my workplace. It's like jumping through hoops to get anyone to listen, especially now that the INS doesn't handle illegals anymore, it goes through the department that handles national security.

by Anonymousreply 4709/13/2012

*rolls eyes*

by Anonymousreply 4809/13/2012

r48 comes from a long line of people who exploit labor.

The illegals don't get free medical care -- they take it.

by Anonymousreply 4909/13/2012

[quote]And do they come in expecting the medical staff to speak to them in Spanish as well?

In my area, nearly every medical office is largely staffed by Hispanic women - the local medical assistant training schools churn them out with factory-like efficiency.

by Anonymousreply 5009/13/2012

[quote] We have been a country of self liberties, where you benefit from personal effort, individual education and self improvement, which in turn creates a citizenry of talented people who kick butt against any and all other countries who would eventually try to take what we have; either by force or economically.

Bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 5109/13/2012

This thread is another example of why it was a mistake to allow DL to be be searchable by Googlebots.

That is the cause of the freak fundie freeper invasion here.

by Anonymousreply 5509/13/2012

Everyone manages to pay for food and shelter (and cable tv) but god forbid they have to pay for their own health care.

by Anonymousreply 5609/13/2012

Whatever, let 'em die!

by Anonymousreply 5709/13/2012

We don't need universal healthcare after all. Most get free heal are like the illegals. Go to ER.

by Anonymousreply 5909/13/2012

A USA Universal Healthcare will only apply to US Citizens. Get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 6009/13/2012

So many FReeptards on this thread.

Wonder what this place will be like when Obama sails to an easy victory for his second term?

by Anonymousreply 6109/13/2012

Stupid fucks on DL, go ahead, call every hospital and specialty clinic in town and try to get your free endoscopy, free colonoscopy, free MRI, free CBC, free thyroid test, with the same vague symptoms any insured person can use. Then report back.

by Anonymousreply 6209/13/2012

I'm confused about the idea of "free." My sister-in-law died of cancer at 32, leaving my brother and her 3 year old daughter with over $200k of debt. Where is their "free"? Short of filing for bankruptcy, he's stuck. Don't even get me started about still having to pay her student loans.

by Anonymousreply 6309/13/2012

[quote]The bleeding heart liberal government of the people's republic of California have decided that nobody should EVER be turned away from an emergency room even if they can't pay or are illegal.

The policy of 'nobody turned away' is hardly unique to California, freeper.

by Anonymousreply 6409/14/2012

America do not make the same mistake we have in the UK. We have the NHS and we get Health Tourists coming here and getting everything which makes NHS waiting lists even longer. In some places in the UK you are waiting up to 6 months for an MRI Scan.

I hate people who say the NHS is free - it's not, not at least if you pay taxes. It's only free if you have never worked in your life.

I took out a private health insurance poilicy about 4 years and it was one of the best things I have ever done. I don't feel any guilt about it as the way I look at it whatever treatment I receive I have paid for it twice - once with my taxes and also my insurance premiums.

by Anonymousreply 6509/14/2012

Lies and fabrication @ r65. There are no benefits to non-UK persons. It's not the way the system works.

by Anonymousreply 6609/14/2012

Why do people say that others are getting too much medical care? Why don't they ask why medical care is not available free to everyone?

Medical care for everyone should be a right. We need single payer.

by Anonymousreply 6709/14/2012

[quote]I'm confused about the idea of "free." My sister-in-law died of cancer at 32, leaving my brother and her 3 year old daughter with over $200k of debt. Where is their "free"?

If she was an illegal Mexican, she'd still be alive. Sad, but true.

by Anonymousreply 7009/14/2012

what happened to the immigration law of 1920. Every one was checked out at ellis island and medical checked out until a relative came for them. there was no welfare for them. they had to have a medical document stating there health and medical shots. Then they had to stay with a relative till they could get a job. We have illegals here that are getting free medical that cost the taxpayers. Also they go to school and pay no school tax. but they want to raise the taxes. I dont think it is fare. Dont have so many children when you cant support them.

by Anonymousreply 7210/29/2014

The truth is Nobody gets free anything and illegal inmigrants are fucked.

by Anonymousreply 7310/29/2014

Well, you were there, R72.

You should know.

by Anonymousreply 7410/29/2014

That's awful, r63. I'm truly sorry to hear that. It's not fair.

by Anonymousreply 7510/29/2014

Obama sees to it, they they get it and then registers them to vote.

by Anonymousreply 7604/04/2015
Need more help? Click Here.