Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Red Beans and Rice

I made my first ever batch and it's pretty good but it lacks that real Cajun flavor, despite the seasoning, and it won't cream up the way it's supposed to and maybe it's too smokey tasting from the sausage. I couldn't find Andouille so I used regular Chappell Hill sausage.

Anyone ever successfully made this dish? Please give tips.

by Anonymousreply 5110/07/2012

I'm not too sure what to tell you about the seasoning, but the way you make it creamy is to smash 1/2 the beans.

by Anonymousreply 105/01/2012

Or you just open up a box of me!

by Anonymousreply 205/01/2012

1. You used the wrong sausage. 2. You forgot to smash your beans.

by Anonymousreply 305/01/2012

Zatarans is terrible and totally overseasoned and the salt will kill you. I've never tried making it but it's delicious when done right (not from that awful box)

by Anonymousreply 405/01/2012

People now smash the beans to get the creamy texture, but in real red beans, you don't let the beans sit in the pantry and get old, you use them right away. You use a ham hock or bone, and some kind of grease, bacon or butter. Then slow cook the beans for several hours. You don't have to smash them if you do that.

by Anonymousreply 505/01/2012

My family goes back generations in Louisiana and we have always used the potato masher on part of the beans. AND we use fresh beans, so R5 don't know nothing.

We cook with a hock and then add the sausage near the end.

by Anonymousreply 605/01/2012

My family does too, R6. People do it different ways and no reason to be a little bitch about it. I think OP can handle more than one opinion.

by Anonymousreply 705/01/2012

Sounds like you're the little bitch, R5/7. You defined your own way as "real red beans" and denigrated others.

by Anonymousreply 805/01/2012

My family's opinion. Quoting my great grandmother. No denigration intended. I smash my beans too because I don't want to use a bunch of grease. But older recipes use much more fat and that creams the beans without smashing. Restaurants do this too.

by Anonymousreply 905/01/2012

I ony eat rice and beans if I'm poor. Other than that it's punishment food.

Do you guys crave beans and rice? Is it the salt you are craving?

by Anonymousreply 1005/01/2012

Rice and beans can be a relatively healthy and delicious meal made for for little money when done well.

by Anonymousreply 1105/01/2012

Protein, R10. And it gets better the next day, & the next, etc -- so cook it when you've got time & then enjoy it daily thereafter with no effort. And it's filling, real comfort food -- & the sausage tastes great, so flavorful.

by Anonymousreply 1205/01/2012

Monday is Beans and Rice day. I make them and don't smash the beans, but I cook them quite a long time to get the consistency I want. You've got to get the right ratio of thyme, cayenne, which varies for each cook. I use cubed ham and a couple of ham hocks. I also like it with basmati rice instead of regular long grain. Don't for get the celery, chopped peppers and bay leaves, chopped garlic and onion too. I usually start this at about 9 in the morning and it's ready around noon to 1pm. I don't like any kind of sausage, so I leave that out. Sausage is just too greasy.

by Anonymousreply 1305/01/2012

Red beans and rice with cornbread on the side is delicious R10. It's like comfort food to me. Don't be such a snob and loosen up.

by Anonymousreply 1405/01/2012

And don't forget the Beano.

by Anonymousreply 1505/01/2012

R14, I am not a snob! I've lived off of some crappy food in my day. What I'm thinking is that you must dress up beans and rice because it's so bland. So it's the sodium you're craving. I don't like bland food but I'm hesitant to eat overly salty...

by Anonymousreply 1605/01/2012

You dress it up with herbs plus onions, peppers, garlic. Salt is up to the individual I have to watch my salt intake because of high blood pressure and you can make the vegetarian version without sausage or meat.

by Anonymousreply 1705/01/2012

The distinguishing flavor in red beans and rice is the thyme, all the other ingredients are used in most other bean dishes.

by Anonymousreply 1805/01/2012

I can't think of red beans and rice without thinking about Cliff Cozzy's in San Francisco. The restaurant is long gone, but it was on Union St. The first time I had red beans and rice was at his restaurant in 1963. I'd give anything for him to be alive with his restaurant. I rare missed Mondays for lunch while he was in business. He and his cook were from NOLA. When he retired he returned to NO and I presume he must have died by now or he's well over 100.

by Anonymousreply 1905/01/2012

by Anonymousreply 2005/01/2012

What is bluerunner? I don't think we have that here.

by Anonymousreply 2105/01/2012

If you can get hands on three cans of Blue Runner New Orleans Style Creamy Red Beans, two cans of regular small red beans, some meat of your choice (browned), one diced onion, one bell pepper, and other spices to taste, people will be thinking you've been cooking your Red Beans and Rice all day the old fashioned way.

This method was taught to me by a black woman from N.O. who now lives here in Houston.

I've been "cheating" this way ever since and people rave over my Red Beans 'n' Rice.

by Anonymousreply 2205/01/2012

I'm in Houston R22. Where can I get these Blue Runner beans?

by Anonymousreply 2305/01/2012

Try Randalls. If not, try some other grocery stores. Plenty of N.O,. people in H'town and Blue Runner products are sold all over.

by Anonymousreply 2405/01/2012

What the cans look like.

by Anonymousreply 2505/01/2012

There is arsenic in rice.

by Anonymousreply 2610/02/2012

The ham hock is the best part!

by Anonymousreply 2710/02/2012

Uranium in brazil nuts!

by Anonymousreply 2810/02/2012

This thread is about Condi and her luvah, right?!

by Anonymousreply 2910/02/2012

Yes, R31. It is.

by Anonymousreply 3010/03/2012

PPSM, you should eat all the almonds you possibly can, and then eat a whole bunch more.

by Anonymousreply 3110/03/2012

OP: quick and easy.

In a Dutch oven, cook diced celery, bell pepper, and onion in a little oil until vegetables are soft. Maybe half a cup of each or a little more. Exact proportions aren't important.

Add 3 cans of red beans (or white beans) with liquid. Simmer.

If you don't have a ham hock, cook a few slices of bacon till crispy and crumble them in.

While it simmers slowly, chop a couple of green onions and a handful of flat-leaf parsley, and chunk up a pound of sausage.

After about half an hour, when the mixture is coming together, add the parsley, green onions and sausage. It will get thick very quickly. Mush up some beans with the back of a spoon to give it a creamy texture.

Toward the very end, add a small palmful of Creole seasoning, let absorb, taste, and repeat until it's spicy/salty enough. (You shouldn't need to add any salt by itself -- the meat will provide the salt.)

Serve over white or brown rice with Louisiana hot sauce on the side.

OP, what did you use for seasoning? The flavor has as much to do with the slow-cooked vegetables as it does the spices. It may be better tomorrow - it often improves as it sits overnight. And you can freeze the leftover beans.

Try it again. By the second or third try you should have it down. However you do it, it will be better than Zatarain's mix!

by Anonymousreply 3210/03/2012

She just doesn't getit.

by Anonymousreply 3310/03/2012

[quote]I ony eat rice and beans if I'm poor. Other than that it's punishment food. Do you guys crave beans and rice? Is it the salt you are craving?

Bitch, please. Red beans are one of the most healthy foods out there, and if you're a vegetarian or vegan (which I'm admittedly not), they're one of the few natural sources of large amounts of protein. And no, you don't need to dump a ton of salt in red beans & rice; there are literally hundreds of ways to spice it up minus the sodium. Hell, I'll even eat a bowl of red beans alone seasoned only with Tabasco.

As for the "real" beans vs. canned debate, I think it's stupid, personally, and can barely tell a difference in taste, particularly since most red beans recipes involve heavy seasoning and/or sausage -- and the whole process of soaking beans is way too much of a pain in the ass to merit the effort.

by Anonymousreply 3410/03/2012

Yes, R37. It's true.

Dumping a bag of beans into a bowl and covering them with water is a huge pain in the ass. It is complicated, confusing, time consuming, and energy draining.

I don't know why people bother.

Oh, maybe because dried beans are far far cheaper, canned beans instantly turn to mush before absorbing any flavoring, and canned beans are loaded with preservatives in the canning process.

It's no contest. Dried beans are better.

by Anonymousreply 3510/03/2012

There's a Popeye's drive-thru near me, and please nodoby tell me any nutritional information about their red beans and rice!

It's not the best, of course, but it IS fast.

by Anonymousreply 3610/03/2012

Best dried beans, linked.

Site has recipes too.

Go Camellia!

by Anonymousreply 3710/03/2012

I wonder how Mama June prepares her red beans and rice when slops her hogs.

by Anonymousreply 3810/03/2012

Made some today - soaked the red beans overnight.

Onion, g pepper, garlic, celery, dried sage, dried parsley, dried thyme, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, andouille sausage. Very creamy but not a lot of flavor.

by Anonymousreply 3910/04/2012

Here's Louis Armstrong's favorite recipe for his all-time favorite food, red beans and rice.

by Anonymousreply 4010/04/2012

As a vegetarian I have tried a few pretty good vegetarian versions of red beans and rice but am wondering if anyone has any they can share. I read that the Cajuns are largely Catholic and that during Lent they have to find ways of making their food largely without meat and before Vatican II, if they had red beans and rice on Friday (which, being a Monday dish, they probably wouldn't have) then it had to be meatless. I have read that there are some very good Lenten recipes (meatless) for red beans and rice as well as other New Orleans foods.

by Anonymousreply 4110/05/2012

Daniel Boulud has an awesome red beans recipe in his Braise cookbook. He uses a roux = that's the key.

by Anonymousreply 4210/05/2012

Try slow cooking the red beans.

by Anonymousreply 4310/05/2012

This is a fabulous recipe for red beans. I've made it several times; as the poster upthread mentioned, you have to make sure your beans aren't old, and you also need to soak them overnight. If you soak them in cold water with some baking soda in it, and rinse them off and boil them in stock, it cuts down on the gas factor. Either way, it results in an extremely authentic recipe.

Or you can just go to Popeye's, which has really good red beans and rice.

Vegetarians need to buy a bottle of liquid smoke and experiment - probably with the addition of more vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 4410/05/2012

[quote]Try slow cooking the red beans.

Red beans are poisonous and when you slow cook them you increase the poison.

You need to rapidly boil the red beans in 100ºC for 10 to 15 minutes to detoxify them. You can get very ill fast if not done correctly. They have been known to kill cows.

by Anonymousreply 4510/05/2012

My family makes them the same way as [5] and has for generations. But like most dishes, there are 100 ways to make it. This is just one.

by Anonymousreply 4610/07/2012

Food is poisonous!

by Anonymousreply 4710/07/2012

OP uses Old Bay or some other kind of Yankee "seasoning."

by Anonymousreply 4810/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!