Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why Do We Really Get Tattoos?

It is the first morning of our vacation. I wake up bright and early and trot down to the ocean where I make a shocking and bone-chilling discovery: I am the only personage on the beach whose epidermis is unadorned with tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 15404/24/2014

Getting a tatoo is a sign of poor decision-making abilities.

by Anonymousreply 104/30/2012

I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to ink their body for life. Yeah, yeah, I know they can be removed (but rarely ever are).

And this proliferation of sleeve tattoos, massive ink on someone's chest, neck tattoos, etc., is a complete and total turn-off and dealbreaker.

by Anonymousreply 204/30/2012

People are tacky these days. They got no class.

by Anonymousreply 304/30/2012

Clutch your pearls, girls! You'll be all over this thread.

by Anonymousreply 404/30/2012

Simon Doonan is the maryist Mary who ever mary-ied; however, to answer the original question: people with tattoos are usually suffering from low self esteem / some other form of mental illness. I'm even willing to bet that the suicide rate (successful and attempted) amongst those with tattoos is fairly high.

by Anonymousreply 504/30/2012

About 1 in 5 people in the USA have a tattoo. With the under 30 crowd, it is probably 5 in 1. I am sure that there are as many reasons as there are people. One is probably that "everyone does it". It also seems to be a sign of rebellion. Many you people get their first tattoo a few weeks after leaving for college. It is the ultimate, "you can't tell me what to do". (OK, maybe the ultimate is suicide.) However, I think that part of it is that you people today are so used to being the center of the universe: all film, TV, electronics, clothing, etc. is market to them as the ultimate consumers; that the young have very little sense of the future. It never really crosses their mind that they will still have the tattoo when they are 50. They have no sense that they will ever *be* 50.

by Anonymousreply 604/30/2012

R6, I have to disagree with you. Tattoos might be common amongst certain classes, but I'm in my late 20s and I can only think of a few friends with tattoos (both of the tats are small and as tasteful as tattoos can be I suppose). The people with sleeves and several tattoos are generally battling some serious demons (most are alcoholics...I know more than a few who've attempted suicide).

by Anonymousreply 704/30/2012

Listen when grannies are getting tattoos and soccer moms are piercing their nipples it has lost it's rebellious, underground alternative lifestyle status.

Yes, I know some of them personally.

by Anonymousreply 805/01/2012

R7, maybe you just have good taste.

Probably more have tattoos than you know. Many people have them in very inconspicuous places. That said, class certainly enters into it. You have hit on a very good point there are tattoos and then there are *tattoos*. There is a big difference between a butterfly on your butt and a sleeve tattoo or the Gettysburg address written across your flank.

by Anonymousreply 905/01/2012

Tattoos are trashy looking when someone is trying to pull off an evening gown.

Side eye at Angie and Megan Fox.

by Anonymousreply 1005/01/2012

I think all tattoos are awful. However, the craziest and most unappealing are the ones I see on this woman at the gym.

Her many, many tattoos are just one after the other all over her body completely unrelated to the next tattoo. She has tattoos of a woman, the roadrunner cartoon figure, a flower, a tree, a star, several stars, a dragon, a cat, an angel, a bottle of Coke-Cola, and on and on ad infinitum. She looks hideous.

by Anonymousreply 1105/01/2012

If you are trying to pull off an evening gown, whose the trashy one?

by Anonymousreply 1205/01/2012

R10, Oh yeah, I completely agree. Angelina Jolie is beautiful, but her beauty is so diminshed when she wears a sleeveless gown on the red carpet and that ugly ink is so visible all over her upper body.

by Anonymousreply 1305/01/2012

MARYS!

by Anonymousreply 1405/01/2012

[quote]Getting a tatoo is a sign of poor decision-making abilities.

Not knowing how to spell is a sign of an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1505/01/2012

Blow it out your ass, R15.

by Anonymousreply 1605/01/2012

I'm simply stating the obvious, R16. No need to get all your XXL-sized panties in a bunch.

by Anonymousreply 1705/01/2012

R17. Calm down. Don't get so full of yourself. R1's point went beyond a minor misspelling. It may also might have been a typo.

by Anonymousreply 1805/01/2012

When I see people with tats all over them I just think they're trashy.

It always amazes me when I go into a workplace and see someone with arm sleeves or other really obvious tattoos. To me it sends a symbol of trashiness or less intelligence.

Flame me, but fine. People who find the need to get their body inked have something wrong. Seems like they had one too many drunken nights where going out and getting inked seemed like a great idea.

by Anonymousreply 1905/01/2012

This girl who works at the Diesel store in Miami has a tattoo of a piece of shit on her shoulder. There were even flies circling around it. It was one of those cartoon swirly poops that look like soft serve. BTW, why do people always draw poop like that? I have never seen real life poop that look like that.

by Anonymousreply 2005/01/2012

It's the brand of the underclass.

by Anonymousreply 2105/01/2012

I have no tattoos and never got my ears pierced, so everyone things I'm Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 2205/01/2012

Only trashy people cover their bodies in ink.

by Anonymousreply 2305/01/2012

I've always thought it was a sign of immaturity mainly. Especially with the gays. They think getting a tat will make them look more manly. It just makes them look more sleazy, especially these fools who have them all over their bodies as if the tattoo artist puked the ink all over them from 5' away.

by Anonymousreply 2405/01/2012

Attention seeking for one. "Look at me, I'm different and so edgy!"

The worst case was a delivery guy who used to come by my office with tats all over and filed down vampire teeth. You could tell he loved the attention. What's sad is he will never be successful, and may end up unemployable, looking like that but didn't realize he was putting himself in that category merely by looks alone.

by Anonymousreply 2505/01/2012

If you want a steady stream of income in the next few decades, get into laser tattoo removal.

by Anonymousreply 2605/01/2012

WHO CARES?

I don't understand why people need to get so high and mighty about this sort of thing. One of you idiots even went so far as to claim that people with tattoos are mentally ill--wtf? Are you all Republican tightasses? Let people live their lives, and live yours with a little less self-righteousness. You'll need less botox and lifting that way.

by Anonymousreply 2705/01/2012

Lighten up R27. Okay you have tats but don't get so offended if some folks don't find them attractive.

by Anonymousreply 2805/01/2012

I hate to see women marr themselves, that's all. I wish women could understand that they are beautiful as they are, and that someone else's "artwork" is not a way to express yourself. All of the women I have know with tattoos feel ugly/less feminine/ and have low self-esteem issues. Most are very heavy and don't try to lose weight (I know its hard) and are heavy drinkers. Most smoke. I guess the repulsion to tattoos reflects our avoidance of "diseased" people, similar to the repulsion towards obesity. Because subconsciously, we know you have bad habits.

by Anonymousreply 2905/01/2012

I don't care what people find attractive. I'm talking about the pathological puritanism of this board of late. It's Log Cabin hell in here.

by Anonymousreply 3005/01/2012

I don't have any tattoos nor a desire to get any, but like R27, I don't see what the fuss is all about.

Just because I find them unattractive, especially when they cover way too much physical real estate, I don't necessarily think the person with them is some kind of idiot or low class.

I do think we're at the point where not having tattoos is as edgy as not, however, with all the people who do have them.

by Anonymousreply 3105/01/2012

R30, Puritanism is why I am alive and most of my generation is dead.

by Anonymousreply 3205/01/2012

I've wanted a tattoo for years but never can make up my mind on what I want. One of my best friends is a tattoo artist and when I think I know what I want he draws it up and gives me a temp tattoo that lasts about a week. By the time the week is done I'm glad I didn't get the tattoo.

Of all my friends with tatoos only a few have never said they regret getting them or getting what they got tattooed. One friend has that stupid lone wolf tattooed on his whole back and his bf has some Harry Potter thing on his ribs. I don't go to the beach with them.

by Anonymousreply 3305/01/2012

Plus, these inks contain heavy metals and sometimes arsenic, so these contaminants are polluting your blood stream. I have the same revulsion towards men with ugly-ass tattoos in that they look dirty. Equating tattoos with a dirty body is not out-of-line considering how you are polluting your system. Maybe this is why so many find them grotesque. For all of you defending your tattoos I dare you to tell me the ingredients of the inks that were used. I am sure you don't even know that, so you went ahead and had a stranger put foreign substances into your bloodstream. You don't know if this will cause cancer or other illnesses later on. The human body is not meant to be absorbing these toxic, inorganic substances into the bloodstream. Just think about how nauseaus you get when you accidently put the wrong end of a pen in your mouth. The ink makes you want to vomit, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 3405/01/2012

Harry Potter R33? How old are these people? That's just as bad as the Twilight tattoos all those fat, homely chicks get.

by Anonymousreply 3505/01/2012

I saw an obese woman in a low cut top. She had this beautiful butterfly tattoo. All I could think was that in 20 years, that butterfly is going to look like either a bat or a pteradactyl.

The human body is a work of art, not a blank canvas.

by Anonymousreply 3605/01/2012

R34, what I don't understand is all of the Neo-Nazis and skin heads with tattoos. Do they want to be lampshades when they grow up. Hitler would puke. They are polluting their bodies and adopting Afrocentric/ non-Aryan tribal decoration. Plus the money spent on the tattoos should have gone to the Reich. It is just wrong on so many levels.

by Anonymousreply 3705/01/2012

I'm starting to think that the reason we see so many obese women with loads of tattoos is because the contaminants in the inks are slowing their metabolism. It could be affecting their thyroid or possibly causing immunity issues. Again, if you don't want to eat ink, don't put it in your bloodstream. Same goes for shampoos, lotions, and makeup. Try to buy only healthy, organic products--I know they are more expensive, but do your best.

by Anonymousreply 3805/01/2012

No reasonable human being would mar their body with permanent ink. Desacration of the body.

by Anonymousreply 3905/01/2012

Oh goody, THIS subject again.

And don't be dense R28. This thread, and any tattoo thread, isn't just about tattoos. Calling people with tattoos poor, trashy, low-class mentally ill alcoholics is a bit beyond simply not liking tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 4005/01/2012

The SS had a ident. tattoo, r37

by Anonymousreply 4105/01/2012

Sorry r38, I think the reason is the same as why they were floral prints the size of dinner plates- they can.

by Anonymousreply 4205/01/2012

Actually, R37, tattooing in Northern European regions goes back thousands of years.

The rest of your post is just...weird.

by Anonymousreply 4305/01/2012

R42 and that tattoo was?...........

The soldiers blood type in case he needed a transfusion and was unconscious. It was not decorative. Please don't talk about something you know nothing about.

by Anonymousreply 4405/01/2012

I got flamed here several years ago when I posted a similar remark about goatees, but I don't give a shit.

When every other douchebag straight, white, paunchy, middle-aged accountant in the 'burbs in sporting a tattoo (or several), how edgy or hip can it be?

by Anonymousreply 4505/01/2012

Okay, which insufferable Mary here wrote that article. Oh, it's Simon Doonan. And people here complain about people with tattoos being self-obsessed attention whores...

He has no conception of why people want to get tattoos. A Night of the Hunter reference? That was 57 fucking years ago. He does get one thing right though. "Having a tattoo means that you have a tattoo." That's it. His freshman armchair psychoanalysis is embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 4605/01/2012

The teardrop tattoo is a real winner--advertising that you've killed someone and gone to prison really impresses potential employers! And for the true go-getters, there are the tattoos that reflect your interest in cartoon characters. Having Yosemite Sam staring from your forearm is commonplace amongst CEO's, I've heard. We Americans live in a state of arrested adolescence.

by Anonymousreply 4705/01/2012

R43, that has nothing to do with the NAZI party. In fact Hitler was very much against the archeological nostalgia of some of his party. He famously said something to the effect that it just showed that Aryans were living in mud huts when the Romans had running water and bathrooms.

by Anonymousreply 4905/01/2012

Actually, I know a CFO with a Gumby tattoo on his arm.

by Anonymousreply 5005/01/2012

I hope his company isn't publicly traded.

by Anonymousreply 5105/01/2012

R51, the tattoo is very much hidden at all times. I knew him for about five years before I saw it. He is the very last person I would expect to have a tattoo: devout Catholic, Log Cabin Republican. He said that he does not remember getting the tattoo. He was at Hedonism or a similar resort and woke up with a Gumby tattoo.

by Anonymousreply 5205/01/2012

R49 I was referring to your assertion that tattooing was "Afrocentric" and/or "Non-Aryan." The statement is false, regardless of the policies or opinions of the loony Nazi party.

by Anonymousreply 5305/01/2012

Sodium Laurel Sulfate, which is in most shampoos and hair conditioners, has been indicted in causing many health problems, including obesity. Since it's so hard for most of us to lose weight, isn't it plausible that what we are putting ON our bodies, not just in, is making us sick? Lipstick in particular, is now thought to cause hormonal imbalances and possibly cancer. Mascaras are something to be cautious about as well. We must search out organic products to put on our bodies. It makes sense that if the demand increases then companies will provide the products, and the costs will be reduced.

by Anonymousreply 5505/01/2012

Perhaps a little more clarity, next time, R54?

by Anonymousreply 5605/01/2012

Aw, for the love of fuck! Are you old fucks still obsessing over tattoos? Unbelievable. Who gives a good goddamned if someone has them or not? I confess I haven't even read this thread and I don't have to.

You old racist, idiotic, sexist, narrow-minded shitheels are predictable. I may as well just go to church with some of my redneck coworkers.

Isn't about time you assholes died off?

by Anonymousreply 5705/01/2012

You might feel better, but you still have a bunch of ugly-ass tattoos, r57.

by Anonymousreply 5805/01/2012

The funny thing is, R57, that I suspect a lot of the posters you deride are young, not old. So you just added ageist to your stack of "-ists".

I'm 57 and I posted upthread that I didn't see what the fuss was all about. To each their own.

by Anonymousreply 5905/01/2012

No tattoos, R58. I'm too chicken to get one and am afraid that if I did, I would regret the style, etc.

I'm just sick of some of the fools on this site and their out-dated ideals and their judgmental church-lady bullshit.

Nice try, though. That's a funny comeback in an alternate universe.

by Anonymousreply 6005/01/2012

My 40something friend has a tattoo of one of the Wild Things dancing. The tattoo is on his bikini line. He thinks it's so embarrassing and usually covers it with a big band aid if he thinks there's even the slightest chance another person can see it (beach, hook ups, doctor's office, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 6105/01/2012

Good point, 59. I suppose I should have pointed out that I am 45. What makes you think the anti-tat obsessives here are young? I'm just curious, not being snarky (believe it or not).

Sorry everyone else had to hear my rant but I am so gd sick of people these days.

by Anonymousreply 6205/01/2012

The best description of a tattoo: a permanent reminder of a temporary mood. I have one; a very small one on my ankle. I was a little depressed and bored when I got it, and just wanted to feel, I don't know...something. It gave me a rush having it, and I almost went out and got a million more. I'm glad I didn't though: I even regret having this tiny one that no would ever see or notice. But: I do understand the rush people get from getting them.

by Anonymousreply 6305/01/2012

What I think is interesting is the lack of critical thought or curiosity. "I just have a tattoo because... don't make me think about the reasons. How dare you even discuss this as a cultural trend. Don't analyze me!"

Sorry, the trend does have meaning... and it probably something that will not make you happy.

by Anonymousreply 6405/01/2012

"The human body is a work of art, not a blank canvas."

That's a beautiful sentence, R36!

by Anonymousreply 6505/01/2012

R57, because I've met at least as many pissy young people who haven't yet learned magnanimity as old people who never did.

by Anonymousreply 6605/01/2012

[quote]I was a little depressed and bored when I got it, and just wanted to feel, I don't know...something.

Exactly the kind of idiot who has no business with a tattoo. The people I know who have them spend months if not years thinking about exactly what they want.

by Anonymousreply 6705/01/2012

I guess, despite the following:

1: Excellent Education 2: Excellent Breeding 3: Fabulous career 4: Not an alcoholic nor drug addict

I am a low class suicidal alkie, because I have a tasteful tattoo, which I drew, in memory of my mentor, who died of AIDS. There was nothing temporary about the mood. He was cremated and I will never be able to visit his grave; I carry him with me.

Yep, this site is turning into pearl clutching freepers.

by Anonymousreply 6805/01/2012

David Beckham's nipples looks really weird in the pic at OP's link.

by Anonymousreply 6905/01/2012

Monkey see, monkey do.

by Anonymousreply 7005/01/2012

The current tattoo fashion, started it seems by sports stars and subsequently taken up by pop stars, is really crazy though. It's not just a discreet heart on the bum, it's entire designs all over the shoulders and arms, legs, chests.

I can't imagine what these people are going to think in a few years when the fashion dies out and they are a bit older and start to regret their daft youthful decision. And when the're quite a lot older and their body shape has totally changed and skin started to get saggy and wrinkly, they're going to look like shit.

Back in the 90s the trendy tattoo was the tribal armband which people who got thought were so cool. Now those tattoos just date people and they look kinda old-fashioned and not at all risque, as they supposedly did, in comparison with the super tatttos that are fashionable now.

by Anonymousreply 7105/01/2012

[quote]Why Do We Really Get Tattoos?

Because we like them. Period.

by Anonymousreply 7205/01/2012

Lesbian. I have a degree, don't smoke, barely drink. And I have one tattoo that I got when I turned 30 that has meaning for me. No one can tell I have it unless I wear something sans sleeves, which I rarely do. I don't see anything wrong with tattoos but I have seen my share of tacky ones, just like the people who go overboard with piercings or hair colors. My only question is, what is up with gay men and their Tigger tats? I've met SO many gays with that particular character as a tat that I find it very odd.

by Anonymousreply 7305/01/2012

Tattoos are for people who are insecure or stupid.

by Anonymousreply 7405/01/2012

[quote]Because we like them. Period.

But why do you like them? Do you enjoy the pain of getting one?

This is exactly what I mean by the lack of curiosity or critical thought. There is more to it than "we like them". That answer is only acceptable from a 3 year old asked why he likes DUPLO.

by Anonymousreply 7505/01/2012

I think you're missing the point, R75.

by Anonymousreply 7605/01/2012

OK, R76, enlighten me.

by Anonymousreply 7705/01/2012

The point is that for whatever reason, some people choose to get tattooed. Some may be bad reasons such as low self esteem/ worth, trying to be fashionable, a juvenile sense of rebellion, trying to be a tough looking guy. There are also plenty of people who do so for reasons such as marking a transition in their lives, decorating their body with something meaningful, commemorating a person or thing in their lives. Many reasons, and sometimes, just a matter of being because a person likes them. Fine if people don't like tattoo's, but this thread, in the prissy DL tradition seems to be turning it into pathological condition.

by Anonymousreply 7805/01/2012

That is fine, but the underlining intent of such posts is to squash discussion. Yes, there may be numerous reasons, but that does not mean that we cannot analyze the reasons good or bad. The fact that tattoos are so prevalent when they were so taboo not that long ago is an interesting trend that deserves discussion.

by Anonymousreply 7905/01/2012

But not in the simple, sanctimonious tone that so many adopt regarding tattoo's. There's plenty of crap tattoo's and/or crappy reasons why people get them, but there's plenty of stunning tattoo's with meaning behind them. It's a somewhat interesting discussion, but no more so than why people don't get tattoo's and why it used to be taboo. I don't often heat tattoo'd people getting so heated and judgemental about people who don't have them.

by Anonymousreply 8005/01/2012

[quote]There's plenty of crap tattoo's and/or crappy reasons why people get them, but there's plenty of stunning tattoo's with meaning behind them

Ah...no, dear.

by Anonymousreply 8105/01/2012

At least get good ink. The pastels are horrible.

by Anonymousreply 8205/02/2012

I have read somewhere that multiple tattoos and piercings interrupt the flow of chakras. Don't know anything about chakras, can someone here ponificate?

by Anonymousreply 8305/02/2012

The difference between me and non-inked people is that I'm not going to judge you for having naked skin. And my body can be a canvas if I say it is.

by Anonymousreply 8405/02/2012

Oh, lord . . .

by Anonymousreply 8505/02/2012

Um... Not for me - but gotta say: some guys do look kinda sexy with some well placed ink...

I know, I know - I'm gonna get pilloried by most on here! - but I can't help it!

Having said this -

Nothing sadder than seeing those beautiful young men who do porn (go and look at the waybig site blog) - who just have no clue and put all sorts of hideous tatts all over themselves - and get it so very, very wrong...

Seriously: it's heartbreaking. You wouldn't have asked those guys to decorate or even pick the color scheme of their bedrooms as teenagers - yet they're being allowed to let loose with permanent ink on their otherwise beautiful bodies?

They haven't got a clue. Damn shame

by Anonymousreply 8605/02/2012

Why do women get "tramp stamps", as they're called? A tramp stamp is a tattoo at the top of the ass crack. Tramp stamps are among the trashiest types of tats out there; why would any woman want to get one? I guess they think they're "sexy." They're not. They're just sleazy and nasty. I've noticed that a lot of female porn stars have them. I've never seen any "tramp stamps" on male porn stars.

by Anonymousreply 8705/03/2012

R87, you must not have watched much gay porn. There are a lot of gay male porn performers with tramp stamps.

I think it's interesting when people have a violently strong negative reaction to something. So many people on this thread simply HATING tattoos. I think when ever someone has a violently negative reaction to something, regardless of what it is, they need to step back and ask themselves why they are having such a strong reaction. Especially something that doesn't really impact them personally. That self reflection doesn't mean you'll change your view of what ever it is, but it won't hurt to understand why you feel so strongly.

I've seen some beautiful tattoos, and I'd even get one myself, but I don't like pain and I've never been able to settle on exactly the design I'd want. I'd like to try the week long temp tattoo thing though!

I do not understand the desire for a tattoo on the face / neck. I get that they argue it's self expression, but it's also career limiting self expression. Who you are today may not be who you are in a few years...and you might regret a tattoo that you can't conceal.

Some guys do look very hot with them though. Cory Jay anyone? Hot daddy!

by Anonymousreply 8805/03/2012

Ink. Depressing cliche.

by Anonymousreply 8905/03/2012

Hardcore removal:

by Anonymousreply 9005/03/2012

I think there's a big difference between the people of today who get tattoos and those of yesteryear. Navy tatts and 80's punk tatts are very far removed from today's trend of memetic tattooing. I can't tell you how many young people I know who get them just for the sake of having them.

by Anonymousreply 9105/03/2012

I got my first tattoo a today. No, I didn't get to prove I could handle the pain. It's on my rib cage, which is apparently one of the most painful spots yet didn't hurt too much. No, I didn't get it to be rebellious, or because "everyone else is doing it." And I didn't get it because I spend too much time on Facebook. I think most people get tattoos to commemorate an event in their life. Granted, there are some who just get them for looks. I got mine to commemorate a very memorable day seeing the Avengers marathon (15 hours in the theater, 6 movies), hence there is now a Captain America tattoo on my left rib cage. And my friend paid for it so it didn't break my bank.

by Anonymousreply 9205/04/2012

R92 proves that most people with tattoos suffer from mental illness!!!

by Anonymousreply 9405/04/2012

My favorite tatt was on a really hot young guy I met and went home with years and years ago (fifteen or so?) -

Dark hair, blue eyes, lean and fit - and a hungry little bottom. I was in seventh heaven!

Best part was his prison-style tattoo on his left ankle. Looked really amateur and home made - just two small words - 'fuck me' - scratched in upside down - but when you got him flat on his back with his legs in the air - it could be read quite clearly by any lucky man in a position to do just that.

Good times!

by Anonymousreply 9505/04/2012

It depends on the tattoo, and the guy. I know a guy who has these snakes wrapping around thorns inked on his arm, and I think it looks stupid. It doesn't suit him or his personality.

I considered getting one, and almost did, when I was about 25. Now that I'm 41, I'm glad I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 9605/04/2012

There have been times I have thought about getting a tattoo. But at those times I have also forced myself to think about what is motivating me to want one. As it turns out it's never a good, grown up reason so I've never done it. I'm not as good at rationalizing away my own silliness as some people seem to be.

by Anonymousreply 9705/04/2012

Me and my brother were talking to each other

'About what makes a man a man

Was it brain, or brawn, or the month you were born

We just couldn't understand

Our old man didn't like our appearance

He said that only women wear long hair

So me and my brother borrowed money from Mother

We knew what we had to do

We went downstairs, past the barber and gymnasium

And got our arms tattooed

Welcome to my life, tattoo

I'm a man now, thanks to you

I expect I'll regret you

But the skin graft man won't get you

You'll be there when I die

Tattoo

My dad beat me 'cause mine said "Mother"

But my mother naturally liked it, and beat my brother

'Cause his tattoo was of a lady in the nude

And my mother thought that was extremely rude

Welcome to my life, tattoo

We've a long time together, me and you

Now I'm older, I'm tattooed all over

My wife is tattooed too

A rooty-toot-toot, A rooty-tooty-toot-toot

Rooty-toot-toot tattoo too

To you

by Anonymousreply 9805/04/2012

Tattoos remind me of trendy names for kids. I don't know how mamy people I've known who agonized over finding the perfect name for their kid, a name that isn't overly popular, a real standout of a name.

As soon as they name the kid, the name becomes the trendoid name of the year. I've known people in the 80s who all named their sons Dylan. (there are 4 Dylan's on my block alone). Then came Emily, Olivia and the ubiquitous Caden. My neighbor's daughter named her kid Caden. My neighbor patiently explained to me (since I'd never heard the name before) that "Caden is a name from the Old West. Lisa lives in New Mexico now and she and her husband are really getting into the Old West."

Yeah, right. A year later, Caden/Kayden/Kadyn/Caidin was the most annoyingly common trendoid name in the country.

Tattoos are like that. Someone decides they are going to get a tattoo that really represents them and is very individual. Then you see 100 people with the same tattoo on the beach.

by Anonymousreply 9905/04/2012

[quote] There's plenty of crap tattoo's

Oh, dear

[quote] but there's plenty of stunning tattoo's

Oh dear, dear.

by Anonymousreply 10005/04/2012

This is for guys only. What one is your favorite?

NSFW

by Anonymousreply 10105/04/2012

I guess everyone likes to have their say in what other people are doing. Is anyone in here fat why dont you loose weight, I cant believe that Angela is wearing that britney spears perfume. Lets face it whatever reason they got a tattoo its really none of your business. If everyone was like everyone else this world would be a boring place. There has to be people that other people can look down on like the unintelligent, poor, "trashy", ugly without these people who would make your ego bigger than it already is.

by Anonymousreply 10206/12/2012

"There are a lot of gay male porn performers with tramp stamps."

They do? I've always associated tramp stamps with women. That type of tattoo seems very feminine to me, a female's way of saying "I'm so goddamned sexy! Look at my ass! It has a TATTOO right above my crack!" For a guy to be expressing himself in the same way seems unmanly. If a guy I was about to have sex with has an ass with a tramp stamp I'd probably start laughing.

by Anonymousreply 10306/12/2012

I broke up with a guy because he kept getting really bad tattoos. It took all my strength not to mock him about them, so it was easier just to stop seeing him.

by Anonymousreply 10406/12/2012

"WE"???????

by Anonymousreply 10506/12/2012

I think it depends on the kind of tattoo and the reasons behind it, and whether you have good work done.

I have four tattos and at some point in my life I think I'll get a fifth. They are all black/outline tattoos because I don't like the coloured ones, and fairly discreet - people very rarely notice them unless I show them.

My first tattoo was a "transitional" one - I had a phoenix tattooed on my left thigh to commemorate leaving behind the repressive, restrictive religious community I grew up in, and starting my new life. It;s my favourite one, because it has the deepest meaning for me, and represents how far I've come.

Later, I had a small daisy tattooed on the inside of my right ankle just because I liked it. While I was getting that done, I fell in love with a tribal cat design. I couldn't afford it at the time, but had it done several years later. Again, it's a design that has a personal meaning for me.

I also have a tiny swallow tattooed on the inside of my right wrist. It's mostly invisible because I wear lots of bracelets, but I like knowing it's there.

by Anonymousreply 10606/12/2012

R106, are you a boy or girl?

Glad to hear that the tattoo's meaning gives it staying power. I am a few weeks from getting a tattoo I've envisioned for two years and has a lot of meaning for me.

by Anonymousreply 10706/12/2012

I don't mind them so much on men as long as they aren't all over like Beckham. However, I have never seen one on a woman that doesn't make them look like trash.

by Anonymousreply 10806/12/2012

My daughter wanted a tattoo at age 15. I told her she was welcome to get any one she wanted, anywhere on her body. However, she had to pick a design, put it on her bathroom mirror and look at it every day for a year before she was allowed to get the work done. Needless to say she has no tattoos.

Personally, I have nothing against inking your body. Some of the posters here seem to be thoughtful individuals who carefully chose personally meaningful symbols. My biggest problem with tattoos is the godawful artwork of the vast majority I see on the street.

by Anonymousreply 10906/12/2012

We? We don't get tattooed.

We also don't get venereal diseases.

by Anonymousreply 11006/12/2012

I've had my tattoos for years and I don't regret one of them. I've never spent a lot of time in the sun so they're still sharp and well coloured. Each means something and relates to the time i got them, two were done by award-winning tattoo artists, and they usually get compliments (I don't really run in ink-phobic circles except on DL). It's somewhat amusing to read so many here pontificating so vehemently about something they know nothing about. The history of tattooing is fascinating and if you think they're a recent 'fad', then you don't really know enough about the subject to have an opinion worth reading. But keep clutching.

by Anonymousreply 11106/12/2012

You are not a personage, OP. You are a person.

by Anonymousreply 11206/13/2012

I'll never forget seeing the purple blotches on the shriveled old guys from the merchant marines who used to come into the OR to have their leg bypasses or ATK amputations. I was 19 and decided then that I would never get a tattoo.

Wait til some of you are in the nursing home and the staff is giggling about your deflated blotches. Especially you ladies.

by Anonymousreply 11306/13/2012

I think tatoos can be sexy and I would get one, but really I can't think of anything I want permanently tatooed on my skin. To me it's a fashion trend and it's like getting skinny jeans sewn into your skin forever. What happens when they fall out of fashion next year? Tatoos do run in season like clothing. You can tell approximate date of the tatoo. There was a time when tribal bands were it, a time when tramp stamps were it and now sleeves are it, but these fashions come and go.

My favorite one was at a leather bar that had a tatoo contest. The winner dropped his pants bent over and revealed a star inked over his starfish.

by Anonymousreply 11406/13/2012

I don't hate myself, so I wouldn't get a tattoo.

How many of you with tribal band tats still think you're cool?

by Anonymousreply 11506/13/2012

R113, I hear that all the time: eeww, why get a tattoo? When you're old it's going to look so gross, etc...

Like the rest of me is going to look that great when I'm 80! Or like I'm going to give a crap at that age!

by Anonymousreply 11606/13/2012

Oh, how I wish I could win the approval of the rotund, lavender-smelling, freshly washed and pressed prisstards who think tattoos are the mark of mental illness. I suppose if anyone can identify self-loathing it's the experts on this thread. I guess I'll just have to make do with getting trashed and having uninhibited sex with HOT inked up homopunks.

by Anonymousreply 11706/13/2012

My POV on this is that tats are okay so long as they are just off the shoulder and something classic like an anchor or a rose and thats's the extent of it. But you should be butch or it's ridiculous. I'm not butch so I don't have a tat.

I also think anthing novelty should be limited to temp status- since the tech exists. I also believe I read about a kind of removable tattoo ink a few years ago which I'm amazed hasn't taken off.

Every girl I know with tats has ruined their natural good looks with them. One of my friends whom I don't see that often is a tattooist. She's an accomplished artist but this doesn't detract from the fact that the end results are overwrought. In fact the better the art the more you think what a waste.

The memetic and comemorative nature of them strikes me as self-interested.

Last of all. That thrill you get from being tattooed? Doesn't last. I get the same joy from knowing my lack of tats makes me quite rare these days.

by Anonymousreply 11806/13/2012

If you have no tattoos, r18, just how do you know whether the thrill of getting one lasts or not? Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but that one makes no sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 11906/13/2012

R119 because I know people who have tats and agree with that statement. Of course I also know people who would never agree with that statement. But logically, it stands to reason- novelty fades.

by Anonymousreply 12006/13/2012

Well if you know tattooed people who'd disagree with you, it's not really an unequivocal fact that the thrill doesn't last, is it? Speaking for my own humble self, getting tattoos was never about novelty, and nor was it even really a 'thrill' (although the endorphins did make me a little giddy). It's about getting an image that I like, that means something to me, inked permanently onto my body.

by Anonymousreply 12106/13/2012

r107, I am female.

I do think it is important to think carefully about the tattoo you get - and most importantly WHERE you have it done and how you will feel about it when you get older. As a kid I watched an episode of Roseanne where one of her daughters (Becky, I think) wanted a tattoo and Roaseanne shows her the "little kitty" she had tattooed on her arse when she was young and which has now stretched into "a big ol' tiger). That stuck with me!!

r118, "thrills" are inherently short-lived, and that's not the point of getting a tattoo, although there is a short-term rush associated with it.

by Anonymousreply 12206/13/2012

I have no tattoos, but the idea that someone who does is mentally ill or has problems is the most ludicrous thing I've read on this site.

And that's saying something.

by Anonymousreply 12306/13/2012

And then what, OP? You turned into Truman Capote? "Betwixt and bothered, I sauntered amiably cross'd the sands of time...."

by Anonymousreply 12406/13/2012

For me, it's just a way to take ownership of your body. I was in a bad car wreck and my arms were covered with really nasty scars - decorated, they don't remind me of all the pain.

by Anonymousreply 12506/13/2012

Yesterday while going to work, a young man, probably late twenties was walking downt the sidewalk. He was blind and had the white cane counting his steps, short sleves and he had tatoos up both arms. Why?

by Anonymousreply 12606/13/2012

I don't really care if people like my tattoos or not. I didn't get them for other people. I am shocked at how judgmental people get about them, and to such a degree - "underclass" - what kind of bullshit is that? Except for certain kinds of them, they can be quite beautiful and an expression of belief. Of course they can also be stupid, misspelled, and trashy, but that's a reflection of the individual, not the "kind" of person. Many of you need to get way the fuck over yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 12706/13/2012

R127, I'm shocked too, I really couldn't give a fuck

by Anonymousreply 12907/01/2013

America has physically turned into an ugly nation since the tattoo craze.

by Anonymousreply 13007/01/2013

So, what does the Bible say about tattoos?

Leviticus 19:23-28 23

28 “Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the Lord.

by Anonymousreply 13107/01/2013

[quote]About 1 in 5 people in the USA have a tattoo. With the under 30 crowd, it is probably 5 in 1.

Huh?

I most enjoy well-muscled young men with crucifixes emblazoned across their tan backs, and the certainty that the time will come when those bodies will not be quite so firm, and our Lord will lower his arms significantly.

by Anonymousreply 13207/01/2013

[quote]This girl who works at the Diesel store in Miami has a tattoo of a piece of shit on her shoulder. There were even flies circling around it. It was one of those cartoon swirly poops that look like soft serve. BTW, why do people always draw poop like that? I have never seen real life poop that look like that.

LOL! This male clerk at a newsstand (at a College Campus) was covered with ugly tattoos all over his arms and neck, and he actually smelled like ink. Literally turned me off, I would never think of dating a tattooed guy. Tattooed people should only marry each other.

by Anonymousreply 13307/01/2013

[quote]BTW, why do people always draw poop like that? I have never seen real life poop that look like that

Odds are that you haven't seen that much human excrement resting on flat surfaces. Usually we see it floating. Some of us see it pressed into diapers.

[quote]Tattooed people should only marry each other.

Can you imagine their shock at the sight of their children?

by Anonymousreply 13407/01/2013

[quote]The teardrop tattoo is a real winner--advertising that you've killed someone and gone to prison really impresses potential employers!

Teardrops have a number of meanings. In some parts of the country it meant you were either a Blood or a Crip, depending upon which side it's on.

Now it can mean affiliation with any gang. If there's more than one it may mean the wearer killed more than one member of opposing gangs.

It can also mean the wearer was in prison, not necessarily for murder.

Where I live, it usually means the wearer was either raped or was someone's bitch (in which case he was held down while the tattoo was put on him) while he was in prison.

In some geographical areas it means a person the wearer loved has died or, more usually, been murdered.

It's a symbol that has many different meanings. I would not assume I knew its meaning unless I asked the person wearing it.

by Anonymousreply 13507/01/2013

R135...despite its many meanings, it's best to keep away from that person.

by Anonymousreply 13607/01/2013

Why, R138? My neighbor's son does yard work and other chores for me. He's got a teardrop. Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 13707/01/2013

Tattoos are often acquired by the very emotionally immature.

Rob Kardashian said last night that he acquired a huge tattoo across his stomach about his girlfriend Rita Orr who now of course is no longer his girlfriend.

How horrendously emotionally immature of him. And also horrendous judgment in getting a huge tattoo across his stomach in tribute to a woman he had no idea whether she would be in his life long term or not. Even if she was to be a long term association, it is still horrendous judgment. (they lasted 9 months or a year according to press)

by Anonymousreply 13807/01/2013

[quote] My neighbor's son does yard work and other chores for me.

PHOTOS you dizzy queen! Photos!

by Anonymousreply 13907/01/2013

Good idea, R139. I'm going to make him start posing. I can hear him laughing already.

by Anonymousreply 14007/01/2013

Because everybody's doing it.

by Anonymousreply 14107/01/2013

Tattoos are for insecure people who need attention. And, those who have anger management problems...a proven fact!

by Anonymousreply 14207/01/2013

[quote]Because everybody's doing it.

And, you're going to jump off the bridge too?

by Anonymousreply 14307/01/2013

Wow, R142. You have just described perfectly my only friend who is into tattoos. He got one on the head of his dick and then passed around pictures of it to everyone he encountered, most of whom were, shall we say, less than impressed.

And he has anger issues like no one else I know. There are times, in fact, when he kind of scares me. And there's no way to know what's going to set him off.

by Anonymousreply 14407/01/2013

OP, if that discovery is that shocking and bonechilling, I wanna be in the room when you actually do get a tat.

It'll kill you and I've never seen a prisspot die before.

by Anonymousreply 14507/01/2013

I took my 4 year old to water world and more people had tattoos than didn't. tattoos are for people that need attention and I just don't understand it they have no self esteem and no self control. tattoos are just a trend and in 10 years everyone that has one will be removing them because they will realize that they're losers

by Anonymousreply 14607/06/2013

Just got back from the 4th in Philadelphia and it seemed that most people under the age of 35? were tatted. I want to throw up when I see them. It seems so infantile. Saw lots of butterflies, crosses, skulls, clusters of cherries, wings on shoulder blades and their names on the sides of their foot. On the train coming back to NYC, saw a 60-something woman with Tinkerbelle on the side of her leg.

by Anonymousreply 14707/06/2013

Tattoos have become what garage sales once were in this country--ubiquitous displays of mostly caucasian tackiness and herd mentality.

Twenty years ago, everyone had garage sales. It was "the thing to do." Now, it looks odd, doesn't it? We've moved on, and people sell on ebay, craigslist, whatever.

Like the comic George Wallace once said about garage sales--"what drives white people to put all of their shit on their front lawns on Sundays?"

See, so others thought it looked weird back then but were hushed by the culture, which said " garage sales make you hip and cool."

Tattoos will go out of favor and seem goofy but that will take a good twenty years because the media still dictates that they are cool and sexy. No one really thinks they are attractive, they are hypnotized to think tattoos are attractive.

by Anonymousreply 14807/06/2013

[quote]Why do women get "tramp stamps", as they're called?... I guess they think they're "sexy." They're not. They're just sleazy and nasty.

I recently met a trashy bitch with HER OWN NAME on her tramp stamp. Wtf?

My only conclusion is that she did it so the guys who are fucking her doggy-style can learn her name!

by Anonymousreply 14904/24/2014

[quote]Plus, these inks contain heavy metals and sometimes arsenic, so these contaminants are polluting your blood stream... For all of you defending your tattoos I dare you to tell me the ingredients of the inks that were used. I am sure you don't even know that, so you went ahead and had a stranger put foreign substances into your bloodstream.

A friend of mine has several tattoos, and wants to be a tattoo artist. She has turned out to be allergic to one of her tats, so she constantly has an itchy rash in that spot and goes through lots of steroid creams.

I don't know of anyone who's ever considered the idea that they might be allergic to one of their tattoos, or even considered what the ink is made of. Scary thought!

by Anonymousreply 15004/24/2014

Attention seekers. Notice how they always manage to wear a specific type of clothing that will reveal the tattoos (tank tops, cut off tops, shorts)?

by Anonymousreply 15104/24/2014

Relevant:

by Anonymousreply 15204/24/2014

The worst thing about summer, and theme parks, all the horrible, horrible tattoos on display. I'm talking about you, Florida. And Anaheim.

The only worthwhile one I've ever seen was a little stick man man pushing a lawnmower. It was placed right above someone's public hair, and if they trimmed it right it looked like the man was mowing a lawn. But still, add 30-40 years, and the little man will look like he's walking a Chihuahua.

by Anonymousreply 15304/24/2014

If you're really a freak about tattoos and want to cover your body in ink and you're certain you'll always be that person, even when you're 88 years-old, then that's great.

A small fraction of all people who get tattoos fit the above description.

The vast majority of people getting tattoos nowadays are doing it because it's a mainstream fad. That's all. The tattoos they get are meaningless, ugly, stupid, and desperate -- as in, "I could not think of anything purposeful to have permanently inked on my skin, but I absolutely couldn't leave the Outer Banks without something retarded carved into me to forever remind me of how young and silly I once was." It's like, take a photo, for Christ's sake. Don't get a moronic tattoo.

Me, I could never come up with something that I am absolutely certain I would never get tired of looking at. A musical note? I've been obsessed with music my whole life, but I have no desire to get branded. Why would I? To remind myself that I like music? So that others would know instantly? (Why would I need total strangers to know?)

It all just seems so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 15404/24/2014
Need more help? Click Here.