Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Baking emergency!

I was baking banana bread and accidentally used a teaspoon of bakin powder instead of a teaspoon of soda.

How bad will it be fucked up?

by No, not fat/frau. Just bake on Sundays for fun.reply 1604/29/2012

It should be fine. Baking powder is activated in the presence of a liquid, whereas baking soda requires the presence of an acid. If the recipe called for baking soda, the baking powder should work just fine, especially given the small amount.

by No, not fat/frau. Just bake on Sundays for fun.reply 104/29/2012

Let us know when it comes out of the oven. Pictures a plus.

by No, not fat/frau. Just bake on Sundays for fun.reply 204/29/2012

I agree with R1. It may rise a little more with the powder than it would have with the soda, but that's OK -- especially with fruit breads, which tend to be a little heavy, a bit of extra rising is a good thing. Soda does contribute a little saltiness, so yours might taste slightly flat but nothing horrible -- just spread it with salted butter if you feel the need.

Now I'm hungry for banana bread....

by No, not fat/frau. Just bake on Sundays for fun.reply 304/29/2012

It's just possibly going to taste a little of/metallic, but the banana taste may mask it, as will the spices if it is one of "those" banana breads.

You may have a bit of an extra lift.

by No, not fat/frau. Just bake on Sundays for fun.reply 404/29/2012

I hope you have a hazmat suit handy. You're going to have to wait until it cools completely (and for heaven's sake do NOT drop it). Open all the windows and keep the dog outside on a leash. While breathing as little as possible, put it in a triple strength trash bag and seal it securely. God bless, OP.

by No, not fat/frau. Just bake on Sundays for fun.reply 504/29/2012

Baking is the most forgiving of the culinary arts, the right amounts and ingredients, within reason, are hardly ever vital to the final result.

by No, not fat/frau. Just bake on Sundays for fun.reply 604/29/2012

It might be salty, OP, and that is about it.

Spread unsalted butter on it when you take it out of the oven and sprinkle a bit of brown sugar mixed with cinnamon on it.

by No, not fat/frau. Just bake on Sundays for fun.reply 704/29/2012

APOCALYPSE!!!

by No, not fat/frau. Just bake on Sundays for fun.reply 804/29/2012

R6 = Pillsbury Crescent Rolls Baker

[quote] R7: Spread unsalted butter on it when you take it out of the oven and sprinkle a bit of brown sugar mixed with cinnamon on it.

What she meant to say was:

[quote] Spread two sticks of unsalted butter on it and insert one stick of salted butter, rolled in brown sugar, sliced almonds and nonpareils into the long end of the loaf when you take it out of the oven, and sprinkle a bit of brown sugar mixed with cinnamon, nutmeg, powdered arroyo contaminado peppers and myrrh on it. Shake with cocoa powder and turbinado sugar and roll in fondant. Dollop whipped cream mixed with a tiny bit of amaretto onto the tasteful loaf. Voila. R7's NO-TELL EMBALMED AND COFFINED "POISONED" BANANA LOAF! Perfect for your next mystery theater party.

Was it baking powder? Or.... something else???

by No, not fat/frau. Just bake on Sundays for fun.reply 904/29/2012

I once baked a chocolate cake for 4-H. My stepmother made me use baking soda instead of baking powder. That fucking cake was like a door stop, it was so dense. If you spread a little butter on it, it tasted ok. You should have seen those poor 4-H judges.

My stepmother was evil.

by No, not fat/frau. Just bake on Sundays for fun.reply 1004/29/2012

I made cake doughnuts one time and forgot to put in any leavening. Hockey pucks. I swear they bounced like rubber.

by No, not fat/frau. Just bake on Sundays for fun.reply 1104/29/2012

They're opposites, so I would think you'll end up with some flat, dense break. Should taste OK though.

by No, not fat/frau. Just bake on Sundays for fun.reply 1204/29/2012

There seem to be 2 distinct schools of thought here:

#1: the error will cause the bread to rise more & be a little less salty;

or

#2: the error will cause the bread to rise less & be a little more salty.

I believe #1 (& am pretty sure I'm right), but I'd like to know what OP's actual experience is.

by No, not fat/frau. Just bake on Sundays for fun.reply 1304/29/2012

They're not opposites. Baking powder contains baking soda, but it also contains acid so no need to add buttermilk or whatever.

Know the Difference Between Baking Powder & Baking Soda

Baking powder and baking soda make baked goods rise. Learn the difference between them and how to make ingredient substitutions.

by No, not fat/frau. Just bake on Sundays for fun.reply 1404/29/2012

I agree with you, R13. I think it will be #1. My guess is it will rise higher, almost a puffy kind of rise. It won't affect the flavor of the bread because banana bread is very forgiving.

by No, not fat/frau. Just bake on Sundays for fun.reply 1504/29/2012

Op, add some hashish and no one will care.

by No, not fat/frau. Just bake on Sundays for fun.reply 1604/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!