Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Documentary "The Hollywood Complex"

Sweet Jesus, I just watched this on Showtime. If any of you guys liked Showbiz Moms and Dads on Bravo, this one is for you. It is like that series but without the semi talented kids (Well, with the exception of that godawful Shane Kligensmith!) combined with Day of The Locust.

It is about the hundreds (thousands) of kids and their idiot parents who come to LA for pilot season to find their children stardom. This doc takes place at the Oakwood Apartments which is a Melrose Place of Child Actors.

I have never seen so many delusional pathetic adults in my life. It was extremely depressing to watch.

The neurotic overweight mother and her equally neurotic and eccentric daughter are the showstopppers of this bio. You have a parent lured into Scientology, you get to see these scumbag child agents putting the hard sell on these moronic parents.

The last 30 minutes really sheds some light on Hollywood and would probably prevent anyone from taking their kids out there. You realize you are watching adults with serious issues and it is a shame that the kids pay the price.

I can only imagine how these horrific casting agents must laugh hysterically at some of these desperate people behind their backs. Really sad piece. Highly recommended.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 16812/09/2014

[quote]If any of you guys liked Showbiz Moms and Dads on Bravo, this one is for you.

That's all I needed to hear. I'm IN!

Thanks, OP.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 104/29/2012

Well get On Demand and see when it is on next #1! And report back to teacher!

Remember, these kids generally have not a lick of talent, but there are a few exceptions.

It is the parents and agents/industry types who take the cake. Its like a living breathing array of personality disorders.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 204/29/2012

Netflix has it, and on instant view!

Thank you, OP, I hope.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 304/29/2012

Thanks for the heads up, I am going to love this!!

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 504/30/2012

Report back guys let me know what you think!

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 604/30/2012

I weep for humanity.

"Presley Ca$h" and her mother were...imagine Gypsy Rose Lee if Rose Hovick didn't have the sense God gave a goat.

I mean, I didn't think anything could top her confession that she'd spent $18,000 on rental cars before having her own family vehicle shipped to LA, but then she was breaking down weeping after her daughter won a $25 gift card to Best Buy.

Or the fundamentalist mother who forced her kids to go dumpster diving for recyclables.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 704/30/2012

[QUOTE]a got a brand new Honda for that

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 804/30/2012

I caught this last week but while watching, I remembered that there was either a short-lived tv show or another documentary that covered the same ground--and also at Oakwood. Does anyone have any idea what that was?

Back to this thread, though: LOVED this. I was really rooting for the girl from Colorado; both she and her mom seemed so genuinely nice. And when the agent sends parents down to the photographer (who uses garages as "studios") and who happens to be ***SPOILER ALERT** the agents' husband. . .do you not feel for how desperate these parents are to believe that their child is going to be a star? I was shocked that the crazy mother was the one who realized what a scam it all was.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 904/30/2012

This doc just made me sad. Yes, there were some horrific and delusional stage parents, but the hollywood scam artist vultures who preyed on the naivety of them made me sick. There were parents who were fine, but just not smart, experienced, or cynical enough to know what bullshit this all is.

That said, Presley Ca$h? WTF?

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 1004/30/2012

there was an episode of 20.20 that covered the Oakwood and kid performers r9

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 1104/30/2012

As i remember it the daughter, of the mom sucked into scientology, had an extremely thick Russian accent and could barely pronounce basic English correctly. Why wouldn't someone give them a clue? Oh wait....then the predators couldn't suck $$$ from them for headshots & acting lessons.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 1204/30/2012

I'm watching this on Netflix. I know it won't mean much to DL, but it's heartbreaking.

A good novelist would be interested in the point where the child actor starts to lose interest, to the parent's dismay (and anger). And you know that happens eventually for most of these kids.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 1304/30/2012

Russians got scammed. Wow.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 1404/30/2012

These are people who WANT TO BE LIKE COREY FELDMAN.

My smelling salts!

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 1505/01/2012

When I first came to LA back in 2005 I lived at the Oakwood because I needed a month-to-month rental since I didn't know how long I'd be in LA for. I haven't seen this documentary, but I probably don't need to after seeing all the nonsense all the time in person. The stage parents were awful and they basically turned their kids into circus monkeys and would make them bust into song and dance on command. I remember one time being in the parking lot and some mother was yelling at her kid for forgetting words to her monologue. It was pathetic.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 1605/01/2012

Some of the parents looked like they were living a hand to mouth existence. Dad's back home working himself to an early death paying for two households...hoping to be reimbursed via the kid's big break.

Interesting how the Russian mom instantly kicked Scientology to the curb when there was nothing in it for her.....those Ruskies learn very quickly.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 1705/01/2012

There was an adult version of this documentary about an apartment complex very near the Hollywood Bowl. Can't remem name of it but it showcased the peeps living there, some for decades, waiting to get a break into showbiz.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 1805/01/2012

[quote]I haven't seen this documentary, but I probably don't need to after seeing all the nonsense all the time in person.

I don't know, I think a lot of the parents would have still been shocking even having been exposed to it first hand.

The fundie mother who doesn't want her son to be cast in anything that glorifies Satan, and makes her daughter sleep under a table. She also was feeding the family mostly hot dogs and mac and cheese, by her own admission.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 1905/01/2012

That's the apartment complex where Jay Leno used to go to surprise people.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 2005/01/2012

Now I know what Ethel Gumm must have been like.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 2105/01/2012

#20. If that apartment complex was a throwback to the early 60s, swinging singles, hawaiian motif & a kidney-shaped pool, then yeah that's the one. Very retro & i loved it.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 2205/01/2012

I loved it. But I was able to laugh through it. A lifetime achievement award for Corey Feldman? LOL. It was worth the whole movie for just the ending. I was thinking holy shit she got a part. But she just won a $25 gift card. That was some funny shit.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 2305/01/2012

LOL at the little black kid "what are your goals?" "Not to ever lay hands on a woman".

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 2505/01/2012

The little black boy was definitely "born this way".

How do the siblings who are left at home feel about all this? Worse than the spouse who's supporting two households?

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 2605/01/2012

The sensitive black child said that one of his personal goals was to stay out of jail and never lay a hand on a woman. Though I know what he meant, I don’t think he’ll have a problem with the latter. The kid is gay gay gay.

The fundamentalist, home-schooling, garbage hunting, anti-Satan-casting mom of 4 (trying to get them all in the biz) creeps the fuck out of me. Her older 14 yr old, who’s been witnessing this for too long, is adorable but clearly has issues brewing.

Interestingly enough, the fatty girl-Mom combo’s eternal optimism in a results-free environment endeared me. Mom has baggage and is trying to make up for it. There’s still hope. The girl's an interesting character.

All the agents, crash course teachers (“Crying On Cue”- give me a fucking break), and people they meet with who build false hopes (deciding to “represent” a cute middle eastern type with serious speech impediments, telling a child he was great when he obviously sucked, holding seminars where you visualize the Oscar you’re gonna win, etc) are exploitative Hollywood money grubbers, who cash in on brainwashing kids with empty dreams. With obvious ties to the Apartment Complex, they all stand to gain the longer the kids and their families stay residing in that cesspool with a pool.

At an audition:

“It was great meeting you!” = Kiss of Death

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 2705/02/2012

Agree about the fat, blonde fundie mom being creepy. He can use curse words if need be but no Satan-glorifying roles? What roles glorify Satan and isn't cursing bad too? I wonder if she realizes her oldest might be gay. Many of those boys seemed a little fey.

Scary to think her husband is an AF pilot.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 2805/02/2012

I'm surprised no one has hated on the two sisters with obviously wealthy parents. The little sister got an audition for Rob Reiner and then ended up taunting big sis about it.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 2905/02/2012

[quote]He can use curse words if need be but no Satan-glorifying roles?

He could use "age-appropriate" curse words, whatever those are.

[quote]Scary to think her husband is an AF pilot.

He wasn't a real pilot.

I actually their asking God to help their dad fly Predators and kill "the bad terrorists" was the creepiest thing in the entire doc.

Plus, didn't they have their real residence in Vegas? I know that's a bastion of upstanding Christian values...

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 3005/02/2012

Vegas is actually a pretty conservative place once you get away from the tourist areas. Most households are military, Mormon, retirees, or some combination of the three. It became more liberal in recent years with the population boom and the influx of younger working professionals, but the further you get away from the center of town, the more conservative it gets, reaching Crazy Libertarian levels by the time you reach the ranches on the outskirts of town. [/ TheMoreYouKnow]

Anyway, this documentary was so sad. The only one I have any hope for is James. His mother seemed determined to at least make sure that he gets an education, plus he had more raw talent (that we saw) than the others.

The Russian family was completely delusional, to the point that I didn't even feel badly for them. Did they really think their ethnic-looking ten year old, who still had a noticeable Russian accent, really had a shot at cereal commercials?

I wish we had heard more from the disgruntled former child star who found the camera crew to complain about the crazy parents. What was she doing there?

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 3105/02/2012

That woman who played Pippi Longstocking was pitiful. Still calling herself a movie star as if one movie years ago makes you a star.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 3205/02/2012

YOU DIDN'T GET TO MEET ROB REINER IIIIII DID.

LOL. The look on her sister's face.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 3305/02/2012

That's Tami Erin to you, R32. Here's a photo montage of Presley Ca$h from youtube. There are several more of her performing at the Oakwood complex, but I love this one for the lone comment.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 3405/02/2012

[quote]The little sister got an audition for Rob Reiner and then ended up taunting big sis about it.

"Nyah nyah nyah nya nya nya - you didn't meet Rob Reiner!"

Anticipating the caption that inevitably followed, I found myself already singing "Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah, you didn't get the part..." to that little bitch just as the caption flashed that she hadn't.

Felt bad about my cruelty, but better when at the end I saw she was probably the most successful out of the bunch (and she did attempt a half-assed hug at her pathetic older sister after she realized how mean she had been).

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 3505/02/2012

It's funny though while watching I said to myself the only one that has a shot, and a distant one, is the bitchy Rob Reiner girl. Turned out she was the only who got a part.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 3605/02/2012

I thought the kid with the goals of staying out of jail and not hitting women also got a part. Some TV show, I think.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 3705/02/2012

James got a guest spot too - a blink-and-miss probably, but it got him a SAG card I'm sure

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 3805/02/2012

James'guet spot was in Cold Case, playing a hoodlum in a flashback scene (judging from the afros).

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 3905/02/2012

Here's Tami Erin's IMDb page.

I daresay she wrote her own biography page.

Also, her CV is even thinner than some of those kids.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 4005/02/2012

TVotN - did you flip through her photos on imdb? Hysterical. I LOVE the bustier shots.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 4105/02/2012

Gives new meaning to "Would attend the opening of an envelope."

Just out of curiosity, I know these are not exactly upscale events, but how does a Z-list celeb manage to score so many invites?

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 4205/02/2012

Maybe people think she is Sarah Chalke of Scrubs and let her in. She looks like her in some of those shots.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 4305/02/2012

Tami should see about a sequel to Pippi Longstocking. They can call it Pippi Longinthetoothstocking.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 4405/02/2012

R40: Love how she appeared as 'self' in "Straight from the Horses Mouth".

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 4505/02/2012

"She's too Jewish-looking to play Pippi."

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 4605/02/2012

Why are people so desperate to be famous? Is it the money? Is it desperation fo attention? Better yet, why don't these people realize that the majority of the actors that try to get in the entertainment industry live below the poverty line? I guess everyone thinks THEY'RE the ones that will beat the odds *roll eyes*.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 4705/02/2012

I'm rooting for James. Sweet kid and his Mom seems to actually live in reality. He's a cute kid too, and will still be good looking as he gets older. Great smile. It would be nice to have more good black actors to watch, instead of the same half dozen ovver and over again.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 4805/02/2012

[quote]Why are people so desperate to be famous?

One of the girls basically said she wanted to be famous and then an agent said that is the death knell for a career. Merely craving fame will most likely not get the parts. You have to have a love of acting.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 4905/03/2012

All I can say is none of you bitches are loved in 18 languages as "Pippi Longstocking."

Oh...and I fucking killed as "Flower Girl" in "The Little Rose."

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 5005/03/2012

OP thanks. Just watched it. Interesting and sad. I have a friend who is a manager in NY and she said this was right on the money.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 5105/03/2012

"exploitative Hollywood money grubbers"

I believe that covers everybody in the business.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 5205/03/2012

The funniest (and saddest part) that I am just realizing is probably the crying on cue class. Poor James breaks down over his still born sister.. the class has NO reaction and the teacher is like "Thank you!" like he just handed her an ice cream cone. A terribly sad moment that becomes hilariously campy based on this teacher's (very southern California/acting teacher) response. This film has some delicious "The Comeback" like moments..

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 5305/04/2012

R53 I thought that was one of the most ridiculous, disingenuous moments in the movie. This kid was the one I couldn't stand the most. Everything he said sounded and looked like he and his mother sat up at night practicing the response.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 5405/04/2012

People who act like Cattle, should go to slaughter.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 5505/05/2012

Sadly none of these people will become "stars". They'll be lucky to get a bit role here and there...IF they're lucky.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 5605/05/2012

Does she have breasts?

Does she have breasts?

Does she have BREASTS?

Maybe little ones...

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 5705/05/2012

i wanna watch this again!

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 5805/06/2012

OMG did anyone catch Anderson on Thursday!? Presley Ca$h was on with her mother! And Anderson was surprisingly quite mean to the both of them...I actually felt bad for them.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 5905/13/2012

Holy crap, they totally were!

"Presley" looks like Cyndi Lauper circa "She's So Unusual" now.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 6005/13/2012

Mom spent $160,000 on "Presley"'s "career." That's a goddamn house, or college, or a nice starting point for a a retirement fund....

I don't feel bad for her. That kind of thing is criminally stupid. Even assuming they only have a studio, the rent for a month at the Oakwood Toluca Hills is $2250. Surely, that's more than a mortgage on a second home.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 6105/13/2012

Why would anyone pay $2250 for a studio, ANYWHERE? That can't be right!

And it appears miss Ca$h is indeed channeling Cyndi...

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 6205/13/2012

A studio at the Oakwood Toluca Hills is listed at starting at $75/night for a 30 day lease. That's $2250. Maybe they pay less because they're not short-term tenants, but the entire Oakwood company which has properties all over the country looks like it's geared towards stuff like corporate leases and insurance leases.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 6305/13/2012

Article in current issue of Entertainment Weekly about the Oakwood Apts.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 6405/13/2012

The EW article says that rent for a studio at Oakwood is between $2000-3000/month with a "child-actor discount."

The article was slightly more positive than the documentary was, although they did seem to go into the "Mommy Mafia" that haunts the place.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 6505/13/2012

[quote]Mom spent $160,000 on "Presley"'s "career." That's a goddamn house, or college, or a nice starting point for a a retirement fund....

How the hell did they spend that much money on a "career" that went nowhere?

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 6605/13/2012

The apartment alone would be over $100K for seven years. In the documentary, we see that Mom had had her car shipped to LA (after she'd been there three years) because she'd paid $18K for rental cars--which, by the way, are rented through Oakwood, according to the EW article. Then add in food, clothing, and all the stuff that an aspiring actor needs, like headshots, acting lessons, etc.

Mom was the one who supplied the $160K figure, and if anything, I bet she's lowballing it.

She doesn't seem to have that great a grasp on reality anyway. In one of the Anderson clips, she claimed that 85% of the actors who were nominated for Oscars this year where child actors, which is a load of crap. I mean, just looking at Best Actress, the only one you could really make that claim about is Michelle Williams. Rooney Mara was 20 when she started. Meryl, Glenn, and Viola Davis all started after they graduated from college.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 6705/13/2012

[quote]The apartment alone would be over $100K for seven years. In the documentary, we see that Mom had had her car shipped to LA (after she'd been there three years) because she'd paid $18K for rental cars--which, by the way, are rented through Oakwood, according to the EW article. Then add in food, clothing, and all the stuff that an aspiring actor needs, like headshots, acting lessons, etc.

They were there for SEVEN years? Why the fuck didn't they just rent a regular apartment then? It wouldn've been a hell of a lot cheaper. Also, why did she have their car "shipped" to L.A.? Why didn't she just fly back to where it was and drive it out to L.A. or sell it and buy a different car in L.A.? It would've been a hell of a lot cheaper.

Wow, that lady really wasn't living in reality.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 6805/13/2012

Well, some people spend that money on drugs and alcohol, so it could be worse.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 6905/13/2012

[quote]They were there for SEVEN years?

Seven years and counting, at least according to what she told Anderson.

I don't think she was playing with a full deck to begin with. In the doc, she kind of intimates that she'd been an alcoholic, and maybe she replaced one addiction with another. And also Haagen-Daz, something else she said.

I could maybe work up a smidge of sympathy for Presley, because she's a kid and probably shouldn't know any better, but you can also see her wheels turning when Anderson is questioning her, and acting (badly) at points where she's supposed to be emotional.

Someone, I think the Oakwood's manager (who actually seems like a relatively nice woman, once you strip away the fact that she's enabling this kind of behavior) said point-blank in the article that the mothers shouldn't become difficult, because if the mom is difficult, no one will ever hire the kid. I think Presley's mom missed that one.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 7005/13/2012

Oh, Mama Ca$h has spent quite a bit of money on alcohol, believe you me. Didn't you watch the documentary? She even alluded to alcohol consumption.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 7105/13/2012

[quote]Well, some people spend that money on drugs and alcohol, so it could be worse

Would the kid be any less broken?

She doesn't go to regular school, she really didn't seem to socialize with the other kids at the Oakwood, and she told Anderson that she didn't want to go to college and had no plans beyond acting.

Mom suggested that she could become an acting coach, and Kelly Cutrone, who I think was there to be a judgmental bitch surrogate for Anderson, said no one would want to take lessons from a failed actor.

I guarantee those two saw the appearance on Anderson as a good thing. I bet you they think someone is going to offer them a reality show. Maybe Presley could take comportment lessons from Courtney Stodden.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 7205/13/2012

Where does she get all the money that she is spending?

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 7305/13/2012

The unseen father Ca$h, who still lives in Missouri. I shudder to think what his life must be like.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 7405/13/2012

[quote]the Oakwood's manager (who actually seems like a relatively nice woman, once you strip away the fact that she's enabling this kind of behavior)

Oh please! She's not enabling this behavior because she's kind or sympathetic. She's actually fomenting the behavior out of entrepeneurship.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 7505/13/2012

[quote]Oh please! She's not enabling this behavior because she's kind or sympathetic. She's actually fomenting the behavior out of entrepeneurship.

The impression that I got from the article, which is a little different that what was in the documentary, was that she was basically very fond of most of the kids, tried to give good advice to the parents, steered the talented kids away from falling in with the ones with the crazy moms, and rarely, very rarely intervened directly on behalf of the kids.

I don't exactly think she's a saint, but she wasn't as bad as most of the bottom-feeders in the documentary.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 7605/13/2012

[quote]The unseen father Ca$h, who still lives in Missouri. I shudder to think what his life must be like.

He's a sitcom formula - the unseen character.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 7705/13/2012

[quote]The unseen father Ca$h, who still lives in Missouri. I shudder to think what his life must be like.

Hookers. Lots of hookers.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 7805/13/2012

$2000/mo rent x 7 years = $168k. That's just rent. Doesn't include food, utilities, car, acting classes, head shots, entertainment, booze, blah blah blah. They could have paid cash for a house in Missouri with that kind of money. But it is a free country, and they're entitled to do as they like with their money and their lives. I wish Anderson would have lightened up a bit.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 7905/13/2012

The Hollywood Complex... nice use of double entendre!

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 8005/13/2012

[quote]Hookers. Lots of hookers.

How would he pay them if he must work like three jobs to support his crazy wife and daughter?

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 8105/13/2012

***BREAKING NEWS***

Presley Ca$h spotted in Taylor Swift's "Mean" video at 1:20....

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 8205/13/2012

I was down by Union Square yesterday afternoon, and saw something I found really disturbing. There was a little Asian boy (about six or seven years, I’d say) sitting in front of the Warhol statue playing an electronic keyboard. His skill at playing was rather impressive for someone at that age, and had attracted a crowd that seemed to be enjoying watching him. I noticed, though, that his father was there carefully watching over him and the collection plate nearby. My impression of the father was that he viewed his son mainly as a trained source of income.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 8305/13/2012

R82 Woo-hoo! She earned $100 for the day as an extra! Only $159,900 to go to earn back all the money spent on her "career".

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 8405/13/2012

OP, I love, love, love this documentary. I teach voice and acting to kids from about age 10 to 18. I have told SO many parents about this doc but they do not want to see it because they do not want their illusions destroyed, the whole "my baby's gonna be a STAR" nonsense. I know of a 12-year-old male who is in LA right now. His mom is with him along with a brother who is not in show-biz. Funny thing is, he is doing everything this documentary advises against -- student films, etc. He has gotten a few nibbles but nothing real quite yet except for a Disney music video. I guess, based upon that success, the family thinks he should take heart and keep at it. After seeing this documentary and learning about the odds of this EVER happening, I now myself realize he could stay there for years and never get anything else.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 8505/13/2012

She was more than an extra, r84, an essential part of the storyline, especially when she gets to sign off on important documents at the end of the video, as a successful 14-yr. old career woman with a COLLEGE diploma on the wall.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 8605/13/2012

[quote]Funny thing is, he is doing everything this documentary advises against -- student films, etc.

Out of curiosity, why does the documentary advise against doing student films? I thought that was supposed to be a way to get experience.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 8705/13/2012

Because the student films, most of them, don't pay....another argument on the side of the huckster hack agents.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 8805/13/2012

Anyone know where I can see this online? The usuals don't seem to have it (1channel, etc).

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 8905/13/2012

R88 But if they've got nothing else scheduled, how can doing a student film be bad when it's helping give them experience and add to their reel? Doesn't make sense.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 9005/13/2012

I agree...this is greed on the agent's side, discouraging unpaid work. The scene is an agent (if I remember correctly) doing a "seminar" at the complex, to the kids. Money, money, money!

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 9105/13/2012

I'm now obsessed with Tami Erin. Do you think she was cater waitering at Cuba Gooding Jr.'s house?

A recent interview below where she discusses her upcoming film and television roles and clothing line (!)

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 9205/13/2012

"Tami Erin" sounds like a cheap stripper name. She seems like a vapid L.A. soul.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 9305/14/2012

[quote]That's Tami Erin to you, [R32]. Here's a photo montage of Presley Ca$h from youtube. There are several more of her performing at the Oakwood complex, but I love this one for the lone comment.

This Presley Cash kid has soul-less eyes.

And I haven't seen this "Hollywood Complex" doc yet, but does this girl want to be an actress, or a singer? What does she want to do? Because if it's acting, she has to give up the fucking Cyndi Lauper shit. Acting is about being a chameleon; it's not about having a contrived persona. A casting director will look at her headshots and laugh.

And if it's singing she wants to do, she needs to find her own schtick.

Her mom's an idiot.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 9405/14/2012

Yeah tell that to s Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jennifer Biel, Jason Richter, Zachary Ty Brian, Countess Vaughn, and Neil Patrick Harris and a host of other kids that lived at the Oakwood and spent sums of money to make it famous and did.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 9505/14/2012

No-one's mentioned the creepy photographer who lives at the Oakwood Apartments who was shown early in the doc. A bit suss.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 9605/14/2012

[quote]Yeah tell that to s Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jennifer Biel, Jason Richter, Zachary Ty Brian, Countess Vaughn, and Neil Patrick Harris and a host of other kids that lived at the Oakwood and spent sums of money to make it famous and did.

Okay, but how many kids would have made it (also, I think calling all of those amazingly famous celebrities is pushing it) if they hadn't been staying at an incredibly-expensive apartment complex that treated them like an all-you-can-eat buffet for the industry's worst aspects?

And how many more kids didn't make it, while spending huge sums of money to do so?

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 9705/14/2012

Holy Shit. Am I the first one to notice that Tami Erin looks almost identical to DL fav Brendad Ickson??!!

The physical resemblance is uncanny but the same self-possessed delusion is equally scary!

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 9805/14/2012

No, r98. Tami started a thread where Brenda chimed in.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 9905/14/2012

Who the fuck are Jason Richter and Countess Vaughn?

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 10005/14/2012

Countess Vaughn is a former child actress who got her break by winning Star Search in the late 80s. She then landed a part on 227, and a few years after that, Moesha and its spin-off The Parkers (with Mo'Nique).

I'm honestly not sure if she still acts.

Jason James Richter was the star of the Free Willy movies. I'm not sure if he still acts either.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 10105/14/2012

Where the fuck can I see this!! I just checked the Showtime OnDemand and couldn't find it?

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 10205/14/2012

Netflix (as stated previously on this same thread).

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 10305/14/2012

Speaking of delusional child actresses, anyone remember Joanna Pacitti? She was the original actress cast for the revival of Annie. She was quickly let go and did a few embarrassing interview saying she would always be "the only true Annie".

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 10405/14/2012

Which revival of Annie, r104? There have been a few, plus the one coming up.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 10505/15/2012

Where can I watch it?

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 10605/15/2012

Rent it on Netflix! Or watch it if you have a membership.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 10705/15/2012

R104-- the one that Nell Carter did. Pacitti did get to do the role a few years later at the St. Louis Muny. She is also featured in the documentary about the girls and what happened to them called Life After Annie I believe.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 10805/15/2012

Presley Cash looks like a young Laura Hope Crewes.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 10905/15/2012

R109, you're wicked.

Presley's performance on ANDERSON was so calculated and awful. She was just hitting all of the standard talk show beats.

So does Anderson Cooper troll DL for ideas for his talk show? That documentary has been out for two years and he's doing an episode about it now? Hmmm...

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 11005/15/2012

Thank you, DL, for turning me on to this!

- Did anyone else get the feeling that the multitalented Tami Erin (Paris Hilton has watched "Pippi" 100 times, you know) turns tricks on the side?

- What was that audition that Megan went on where she seemed to be reading a flashback scene in a horror movie where the casting director kept saying he was going to cut off her dick??? And why was she dressed like a Dollar Store St. Patrick's Day Cyndi Lauper for it?

- Loved that girl with the Russian mom who had to read the breakfast cereal commercial as an audition. After rehearsing non-stop, they only realized the product was cereal when they were sitting in the agent's waiting room.

- And why in God's name had Megan and her homunculus mother painted their apartment in splotches of tempera like a 5-year-old's art project?

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 11105/17/2012

Joanna pacitti was a finalist on American idol a season or two ago. However, the public learned that she had had a previous business relationship with Kara, is that her name? - the other female judge, not Paula. She was dropped with no explanation to the audience. One week she was there the next she was gone. Poof. Never mentioned.

She won an undisclosed amount of money when she settled her lawsuit with Macy's.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 11205/17/2012

R112, was Joanna Pacitti in the doc?

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 11305/17/2012

[quote]- What was that audition that Megan went on where she seemed to be reading a flashback scene in a horror movie where the casting director kept saying he was going to cut off her dick??? And why was she dressed like a Dollar Store St. Patrick's Day Cyndi Lauper for it?

She was playing a pre-teen...the mom said "hermaphrodite," but I suspect was thinking transgender.

So, some sort of Hedwig for the Bieber set, I suppose?

As to her choice of dress...yeah, I got nothing.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 11405/17/2012

No,113, she was mentioned unpthread.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 11505/17/2012

R113- not in Hollywood Complex documentary but she is in Life After Tomorrow, the doc about the girls who were in ANNIE.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 11605/17/2012

[quote]- Did anyone else get the feeling that the multitalented Tami Erin (Paris Hilton has watched "Pippi" 100 times, you know) turns tricks on the side?

I got that impression as well.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 11705/17/2012

Just watched this. Wow!!

I have no sympathy whatsoever. These people are desperate idiots who deserve to be taken for a ride.

I can't believe no one mentioned the scene where the mom and nanny are trying to prep the girl auditioning for a dying girl. With no irony at all, they all think it's a brilliant idea to jump on youtube and have her watch videos of dying children.

I would LOVE to be there when these freaks watch the doc. Can you imagine the reaction when they see the casting agents looking over pix and trying to figure out if the girl has breasts or not. Or Presley Cash and mom's reaction when they hear the agent give the exact same verbatim advice to another girl.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 11805/20/2012

Are you kidding? They're probably ecstatic over the fact that they "starred" in this documentary! It puts them on IMDB!!!

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 11905/20/2012

OMG after watching r60'slink it looks like Presley is growing up to be splitting image of her mama

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 12005/20/2012

If you were married to Presley's mom wouldn't you prefer she and your demon spawn were 2000 miles away, no matter what the cost?

Actually, I felt like the mom would have better luck getting parts as a character actress. I could see her playing the cranky waitress or comic-relief neighbor in something.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 12106/06/2012

r121 I thought the same thing. I knew exactly why the husbands were happy to pay.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 12206/06/2012

That advice for the kids not to do student films was really stupid. Besides getting good experience in front of the camera they'd work on something with people who could possibly cast them in the future. Spielberg went to film school and directed student films.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 12306/07/2012

I just watched it, and if you haven't seen it yet, it's worth a look.

That said, couldn't you make an equally horrifying documentary about people in their 20's (or 30's or 40's) chasing the same dream, and having the same chance of success?

Escort services and churro stands at Disneyland don't man themselves.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 12406/16/2012

Hah, R124, good point.

There hasn't been a good documentary on teen models in a long time. I remember one in the 1980's on HBO about a couple of 14 year old models. Her hair was being teased into a frenzy and they were caking on the make-up. When asked whether she was being sexualized too early by such extensive hair/make-up the despicable queen said "I don't know, I think she rather likes it." Uggh.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 12506/16/2012

r124, the difference is the parents. 20-, 30-, 40-somethings are free to to get suckered in to their own delusions. These kids often don't have a choice since the parents have so much invested in the process. Same with the child beauty pageant parents. It's the parents that are the real freak show.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 12606/16/2012

"I thought you did it for me, Mama."

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 12706/16/2012

r34 Presley Ca$h from youtube. That child looks like a porn star. Has the name of 1.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 12806/17/2012

This is on Showtime family right now. The fundie family with the floor sleepers and the boy who prays for "my daddy having stwentgth to kiw tewwowists" is about to be up, followed by the laughable insincere gay black kid telling about how he hopes he never hit a woman. After that is Miss Tami "Pippi Longstocking is Paris' favorite movie" Erin.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 12903/18/2013

That whole I hope never to hit a woman was such a WTF? Moment

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 13003/18/2013

Lol r130 I know. He could have just said he hoped to never hit anyone he loves the way he has seen happen in his family but the I think he actually said, "I don't ever wanna lay hands on a woman." or something like that, to which I am thinking, don't worry, you probably never will lay hands on a woman, in any way. And the crying about his stillborn baby sister and what she would like today..the whole class just went awkwardly silent..even the cheesy shill acting "coach".

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 13103/18/2013

Everything that kid says is insincere and you can tell he was coached by his mom, not that they all aren't but his is clearly all her influence. The kids are asked what their goals are and most of them just say being famous, buying my parents a new car/house, etc. But he is explicit about having goals both in his personal and professional life. His career goals are to win five oscars and a grammy. His life goals are to never put his hands on a woman, never go to jail and never do drugs. HIs mom had to have told him to say that because it's not organic at all. It makes him sound phony though and doesn't help him.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 13203/18/2013

Oh and this is going to be on again tonight, 3/18 at 12:30 am PST. Please watch it if you haven't, everyone. It is so crazy on so many levels and you will understand and laugh at the Tami Erin threads if you didn't before.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 13303/18/2013

Did anyone watch it?

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 13403/19/2013

R93

When I was on holiday in Cornwall, I saw this kid who must have been maybe 8, certainly no older than 12, who started to do this street routine (I think he was dancing hip hop). Sort of in the style of Justin Bieber or that young Dane Benjamin Lasnier. People were watching, possibly giving money. What shocked me was how un-kid-like this kid was, basically hustling for money. He was acting like Tom Cruise in the Color of Money or Brad Pitt in his hustling days.

Lots of kids are buskers in England. I found that shocking, you would never see that in France except those kids from Romania, it would basically be considered child labour and no one wants to raise street kids.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 13503/19/2013

I meant R83

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 13603/19/2013

[quote]Couldn't you make an equally horrifying documentary about people in their 20's (or 30's or 40's) chasing the same dream, and having the same chance of success? Escort services and churro stands at Disneyland don't man themselves.

That documentary exists! It's called The Reinactors. A fucking train wreck if I've ever seen one. Funny story, too--literally the day after I watched the documentary, one of the characters from the movie hit me up on Adam4Adam!

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 13703/19/2013

Strictly Background is another good one...

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 13803/19/2013

As to models Netflix has America the Beautiful 1, which includes an arc on Gerren Taylor which s fascinating: how within a year she went from 12 year old fashion world phenom to unhirable 13 year old with 33-inch hips and the deluded momager from hell.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 13903/19/2013

Presley Ca$h is on a new TLC show!

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 14008/14/2013

:-(

Don't see this released on DVD or streaming yet .....

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 14108/14/2013

DOH --- I'm a jackass. Just found it on ITunes .... Sorry.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 14208/14/2013

Just watched it. What a sham. Sad way to live, pipe dream that one in a million achieve. Something none of those photographers, acting coaches or agents tell them

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 14308/14/2013

Oh dear ... Soon Presley is going to be big ... Not as in famous but as in her momma

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 14408/14/2013

[quote]That documentary exists! It's called The Reinactors

Not even close. That film is about the freaks that dress up and walk around Hollywwod Blvd as Batman, Marilyn Monroe, etc.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 14508/14/2013

Tami Erin, who appears briefly and played Pippi Longstockings, is making or has already made a hardcore porn. I could tell in her appearance that she thought she would have a bigger career after Pippi and seemed rather wistful.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 14609/07/2013

Pippi's a whore, darlings.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 14709/07/2013

Set your DVRs, bitches--Tami Erin will be on Dr. Phil tomorrow (Friday) discussing her sex tape!

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 14810/10/2013

Thanks for the alert R148. Did anyone see Pre$ley Cash on Raising Fame? I forgot to record it.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 14910/10/2013

THE Tami Erin?

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 15010/10/2013

I've not been able to find Raising Fame anywhere in my DVR listings, and TLC's website conveniently never listed what time/dates the show aired. Was it supposed to be a full series? Because if so, it's apparently been canceled.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 15110/10/2013

(Earnest black boy to camera): "I was told, that because of my color, I could get a role as a thug."

This had me falling off my couch in laughter!

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 15210/10/2013

TMZ says Erin has 240 Twitter followers. Isn't that pathetic for a self-described "movie star"?

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 15310/10/2013

Wasn't she arrested for fraud or something? Anyway - that woman is CLEARLY batshit fucking crazy. I mean, like DANGEROUS crazy.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 15410/10/2013

R87, R88, Legit student film roles showcase your on camera appearance and voice; crucial credits for the beginning actor.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 15510/10/2013

Erin has a sex tape currently leaking, like the Kardashians. Go google it!

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 15610/11/2013

What a sad appearance. Tami Erin barely got five minutes with Dr. Phil. She's none too bright when it comes to men. Looks like she's had some eye work done.

R151, it was supposed to be a series but it didn't get picked up so they aired it as a special.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 15710/11/2013

Yea, Tami came off as a complete loon on Dr. Phil--loved it! She really needs to brush up on her acting skills before she tries to convince us she's not behind the "sex tape SCANDAL!!!!" And the poor thing has to live with a roommate. Bless her heart. I just looked over the 80 comments on Dr. Phil's discussion board to see what people were saying about yesterday's show and not ONE commenter even mentioned Tami's segment. She's irrelevant!

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 15810/12/2013

I'm not a slut, I just tweet like one!

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 15910/12/2013

Does she wear the Pippi braids in her porno?

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 16010/12/2013

@TamiErinReal? This niqqa is concerned with having imposters? What diagnosis would that fall under? NPD? Paranoid schizo? Someone diagnose her, please.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 16110/12/2013

R146, MORE of a career after the Pippi movie? Tami didn't have any career, before or after Pippi. Not a single credit on imdb before or after the movie, unless you count a sprinkling of bit parts in ultra-obscure shit starting 10 yrs later. The movie was a complete critical and commercial failure. The Norma Desmond comparison fits, but actually Norma was quite different since she was a huge silent movie star, who just wasn't able to successfully transition to talkies. Tami was never a star, except in her own mind.

Tami's imdb

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 16210/12/2013

Girl has got to be escorting to pay the rent.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 16310/14/2013

All the interviewers are queens.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 16410/15/2013

Finally got a chance to see this. What a freaking racket.

All these fake "agents" are just shills for fake acting coaches, photographers and classes that these people are gullible enough to believe they NEED to succeed. The complex manager is pretty shady herself bringing in all these "free" seminars which are just another way to shill for the rest of them.

Even when the marks seem to get it for a nanosecond they still don't get it. They still seem to believe the next scammer will be different from the last one.

Did anyone recognize the former kid actor who appeared very briefly at The Kiddie Star Expo (speaking of scams) who compared the whole kid star thing to slavery? She looked so familiar but I couldn't place her. Going by her looks I'd guess she was on a show that ran around the mid 60s to mid 70s.

No wonder so many of kid stars who actually made it at all end up going off the rails.

I feel sorry for them. The pushy, deluded parents? Not so much.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 16510/16/2013

The black boy said his momma told him to stay away from women. LOL... no problem there.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 16610/16/2013

OMG and the Russian girls accent was such a detractor...why any agent worth his salt wouldn't tell her to take diction lessons is beyond me. Plus, she had no idea what the product was she was auditioning for. And lastly, let's not forget her ugly ass mother, Fiona's (Shrek's wife) long lost twin, complete with the Miss Piggy nostrils, who got sucked in to Dianetics.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 16710/16/2013

This is only kind of tangentially related, but here's link to a fascinating Reddit AMA from a (now openly gay) member of a failed late-90s boy band who was put up in a two-bedroom apartment at the Oakwood with the other five members of his band Youth Asylum. Never heard of them? Me either.

by Adore from Day of The Locustreply 16812/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.