Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ricky Martin To Host Obama Fundraiser!

Taking a cue from actor George Clooney, singer Ricky Martin has just announced his plans to support the re-election of President Barack Obama with a special fundraising event this May.

The music icon dropped by Univision's Primer Impacto newscast Tuesday night to reveal that he, along with the LGBT Leadership Council and the Futuro Fund, would be hosting a benefit for the President in New York City.

"I am proud to support our President," said the openly gay singer on the Spanish language news program. "I believe Barack Obama has shown a deep conviction to help those most in need, even if their voices are not always the ones heard the loudest in Washington. He has also been an exceptionally strong advocate for the Latino and LGBT communities, leading us to precedent setting milestones such as the appointment of the first Hispanic Supreme Court Justice and the repeal of DADT. With his actions, I believe the President has put the United States back on the right path and has earned the opportunity to finish the critical work that he has started."

Ricky Martin's fundraising event will take place at Rubin Museum of Art in New York City on May 14.

by Anonymousreply 3906/08/2012

Remember when he performed at Bush's first inauguration in 2001? It was a WTF moment. I remember he got a lot of flack for it.

by Anonymousreply 104/25/2012

Ricky Martin flips off George W. Bush during Puerto Rican concert (2007)

Ricky Martin, who was a headliner at the 2001 inauguration ball for President George W. Bush, has a message for the American commander in chief about war.

At a recent concert, the 35-year-old singer stuck up his middle finger when he sang the president's name in his song "Asignatura Pendiente," which includes the words, "a photo with Bush." The gesture last Friday prompted cheers from thousands of fans in the San Juan stadium.

On Thursday, the Puerto Rican heartthrob repeated his criticism of the Iraq war and explained his changed position on Bush.

"My convictions of peace and life go beyond any government and political agenda and as long as I have a voice onstage and offstage, I will always condemn war and those who promulgate it," Martin said about his action in an e-mail statement sent to The Associated Press via a spokesman.

Martin, like other artists, has been highly critical of the war in Iraq.

by Anonymousreply 204/25/2012

So, just so I understand....

He's a republican when it's popular, but an Obama-supporting Democrat when the tide turns, right?

Okay, got it.

by Anonymousreply 304/25/2012

Fuck off R3

and take your homophobia with you.

by Anonymousreply 404/25/2012

The event will be limited to around 200 people, and tickets start at $5,000, with $15,000 to co-host, and the full $35,800, split between the campaign and the Democratic National Committee, to serve as a co-chair.

by Anonymousreply 504/25/2012

R3 Pretty much. He was more than happy to support Bush when Bush was popular, then as Bush became unpopular, Miss Martin jumped ship and jumped on the anti-Bush bandwagon. Now that Obama is popular, he's on the Obama bandwagon. Just like his career and being in the closet, he's always been a follower, not a leader.

by Anonymousreply 604/25/2012

He was never a Bush supporter. Just because you are asked by the President of the United States to play at the White House does not mean you support him. And at the time Bush was claiming to be pro-Latino.

Martin was already speaking out against Bush by the time of the Iraq War and was a Hillary supporter in 2008.

by Anonymousreply 704/25/2012

"He was never a Bush supporter."

Of course he wasn't, even R3 and R6 know that, but they hate him too much to care about FACTS.

by Anonymousreply 804/26/2012

Does he like big bush?

by Anonymousreply 904/26/2012

Hell, plenty of famous gays have weird actions before coming out. Ellen, Rosie, Lily and now Anderson to name a few past and present. Give them slack before they come out and be gentle with their past once they do. Never forget that being closeted is one big compromise after another.

Coming out is very much like being born again for Evangelicals. It's a new life being born again in the gay. Jesus forgives and so should we:)

by Anonymousreply 1004/26/2012

I don't blame Ricky. I think he's a little dim, plus this was sort of at the height of his popularity. It only makes sense that he would have played at was arguably a top political event (for the time... before people knew better).

by Anonymousreply 1104/26/2012

"Does he like big bush?"

by Anonymousreply 1204/30/2012

Great, another fundraiser in NYC to tie up the city traffic and events. He's probably done more fundraising in NYC than any other city.

by Anonymousreply 1304/30/2012

Dear R13,

Attend the Fundraiser and avoid traffic jams!

by Anonymousreply 1404/30/2012

So what, R13? Republicans have their biggest fundraisers in Texas and Florida - you go where your wealthy supporters are.

by Anonymousreply 1504/30/2012

[quote]"My convictions of peace and life go beyond any government and political agenda and as long as I have a voice onstage and offstage, I will always condemn war and those who promulgate it," Martin said about his action in an e-mail statement sent to The Associated Press via a spokesman.

Shouldn't this mean he's against Obama, then?

by Anonymousreply 1604/30/2012

President Barack Obama will be making one of his final appearances in NYC on May 14th 2012 at the Rubin Museum of Art, before the campaign starts in earnest in the fall and

You're invited!

Co-chairs of the reception will attend a private cocktail reception with the President, featuring food inspired by the Himalayas and exclusively prepared by world renowned Chef Vikas Khanna (Junoon), offering a candid opportunity to interact with the President.

Hosts will be guaranteed a personal photo with the President and all guests will hear directly from the President and special guest, Ricky Martin.

by Anonymousreply 1705/09/2012

Ricky, if you are ever in the area and need a rim job, call me!

by Anonymousreply 1805/09/2012

Ricky's Tweet today:

I applaud President @barackobama for affirming that ALL Americans should enjoy equal rights. Historic! I will be a very proud host on Monday

by Anonymousreply 1905/09/2012

Don't be cheap tonight!

by Anonymousreply 2005/14/2012

Are any of you bitches attending?

by Anonymousreply 2105/14/2012

No. I don't care about Dicky Fartin.

by Anonymousreply 2205/14/2012

FUCK YOU, R4. You can't stand the truth. And people like you who try and browbeat everyone with improper allegations of racism, homophobia, sexism and all that far left crap do more disservice to the rest of us than anyone on the right. There is real homophobia in the world. People die from it. Everyday. But calling out some latia hypocrite for her political opportunism has NOTHING to do with homophobia. you asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2305/14/2012

Ricky and Obama - short video:

by Anonymousreply 2405/14/2012

you are homophobic asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2505/14/2012

He's such an opportunist. I suppose as long as Obama benefits financially, there's no reason in getting too upset.

by Anonymousreply 2605/14/2012

Maybe Clooney will take a cue from Martin and come out!

by Anonymousreply 2705/14/2012

[quote]He's such an opportunist.

by Anonymousreply 2805/14/2012

Fuck Ricky Martin.

by Anonymousreply 2905/15/2012

Go to hell, R29

by Anonymousreply 3005/15/2012

I'm sure someone is.

by Anonymousreply 3105/15/2012

This will only hurt Obama!!! this gay shit is backfiring on Obama!!

by Anonymousreply 3205/15/2012

Ricky Martin is dumb as a fucking box of rocks. He's a fan of that Filipino homophobic asshole boxer Manny Pacquiao and has raved before on Twitter how great he is, yet Pacquiao just went on a rant about how Obama is wrong for allowing gay marriage and said that being gay is a sin. What gay person with common sense is a fan of an asshole boxer like that?

Ricky doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. Same thing when he performed for well-known homophobic George W. Bush. Dumb as a box of fucking rocks.

by Anonymousreply 3305/15/2012

Give it up, R33, and move on. Ricky is on the side of justice and has never been a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 3405/15/2012

R34 He's on the side of justice, yet he was happy to perform for a homophobic asshole? Oh, okay.

by Anonymousreply 3505/15/2012

You don't get it, R35. Ricky Martin was asked by the President of the United States to perform at the White House - that's an invitation most performers are expected to accept.

He did it ONE time, and within a few years he was already denouncing Bush for the Iraq War invasion. He was a Hillary supporter and then went on to be an Obama supporter.

by Anonymousreply 3605/15/2012

R36 Hi Dicky stan!

by Anonymousreply 3705/15/2012

R25 needs to shut the fuck up!

by Anonymousreply 3806/07/2012

Ricky is Puerto Rican, he is only an American by a fluke. Puerto Ricans are like sponges. They refuse to accept the responsibility of independence and they don't want to be part of America as a state.

They want to soak the USA for what it's worth.

I say get off the pot and be a state or go independent.

by Anonymousreply 3906/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!