Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Psychic, shaman and spooky stuff thread

started per request

by Anonymousreply 217Last Saturday at 11:58 PM

OK, I'm a shaman. Truly. Ask me anything.

by Anonymousreply 104/21/2012

Will anything major happen to the world in 2012, r1?

by Anonymousreply 204/21/2012

Sorry, R2, I'm not a fortuneteller. Some shamans are, of course, but mostly they are either healers, both physical and spiritual, or seers, which involves getting information from [insert term that fits your worldview: the spirit world, the collective unconscious, non-ordinary reality] about the individual's problem or concern.

by Anonymousreply 304/21/2012

Then what kind of questions were you referring to in your post, r1? Health issues?

by Anonymousreply 404/21/2012

I don't know. Maybe "What's it like to be a shaman?" But never mind, I didn't mean to derail the OP's question--I don't know what he or she had intended.

by Anonymousreply 504/21/2012

r1 - tell me will i meet the love of my life this tear??

by Anonymousreply 604/21/2012

What is it like to be a shaman? What do you do? How did you become a shaman?

I knew a man who claimed to be a shaman, but he was also an ex-druggie who was totally burned out, so I never knew whether to believe anything he said. He told me that he wanted to do my "chart," so I gave him my birth info and he came back the next day with a very detailed and lengthy handwritten report. I was shocked by the amount of work he'd put into it. I wish I knew where it was, all these years later. I do remember that he said I would become a teacher and a leader in my older years. I'm 47 now and neither of those things have proven to be true, so either I'm not old enough or he was a flake. *shrug*

by Anonymousreply 704/21/2012

My partner is a psychic medium and sees nothing significant happening in 2012.

by Anonymousreply 804/21/2012

[quote]What is it like to be a shaman? What do you do? How did you become a shaman?

There seem to be three types of shamans:

* Those who feel "called" to become shamans (that is, people who feel to have been marked out for this work since childhood; many of them have had significant childhood illnesses or other traumas, have heightened intuition, and tend to access non-ordinary states of consciousness fairly easily)

* Those who come from a tribal lineage of shamans (your parents or grandparents were shamans or medicine people, and you're ingrained to continue the same work)

* Those who study and take it up as a practitioner

I'm in the first group. I did shamanic things growing up -- could communicate with animals, had really disturbing but prophetic dreams, was able to fall into a trance state at the drop of a hat -- but had no language for it for many years. Once I encountered some people familiar with shamanism, I said, "Oh, so THAT's what been going on." It wasn't a change so much as a framing mechanism for my life.

I am rather good at energy work. I interpret dreams very well. I'm able to see medical problems occasionally -- it's a sporadic thing, can't do it all the time -- which have proved helpful for people to follow up with their medical professional. I have done some psychopomp work, that is, helping people die peacefully, kind of guiding them partway across the great gulf. That sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 904/21/2012

Thanks, r9! I'm glad you found your way and are able to help people.

by Anonymousreply 1004/21/2012

well in any psychics are reading this thread I wouldn't mind some help if possible. This has been a rough year for me. Have health issues I can't get a handle on and other issues. a break would be nice (as I'm sure many here also feel they need).

by Anonymousreply 1104/21/2012

I'm going to write as it comes in my head...

The only thing I see for 2012 is that people will become more psychic-y... in other words everybody, yes that means even YOU!, will have a more enhanced connection with the higher self. I really think the Maya were ahead of their time, and were dead on when they said 2012 would be the beginning of a new era of consciousness. Everybody at some level uses their intuition, how aware you're about it is another matter, but you'll see yourself using your intuition(and being aware of it)more and more. Think of it this way, your little radar is able to pick up signals more clearly and from further away.

This actually is a good year to try and play lottery. I mean like why not? Your intuition is peaking so go for it! All with moderation of course, nothing good comes in excess, set two or three dollars every week for lottery/scratchers and see if you win something.

I also think people will share dreams. Dreaming similar things.

I think as a whole people will receive messages from either the other side or other people in this planet through their dreams. I almost want to say telepathy, but in a way that is what it is. Especially mothers to their children. Don't forget your parents or those who raised you in some form or another. Sometimes when you dream about them it's because they are thinking about you. Always send a thought of gratitude and positivity towards them. Example: At least once every week, or month if your schedule is to hectic, set twenty minutes for meditation/prayer/whateveryoucallit and think about all the people you care about. Envision them smiling, happy, and healthy. Give them all your good intentions, all your kidness, and all your love. That is pretty much the best gift your could possibly give them.

I think most of us have seen a UFO already. That you might kid yourself because there is not enough information about it is another thing, but most of us have already seen one. Maybe you thought it was a plane or maybe the local government said they were just testing a new rocket or something similar. In the coming years, beginning now, we will see more strange things in the skies. People living in New York are bound to see quite a show.

I feel like Hollywood will have a mini-golden age starting this year. Also a lot of the new wave of stars are a bit more accessible(??), like many of them will help develop/or fund small scale projects from film students or common people. Which in itself is good because there are a lot of people out there with a lot of wonderful stories to tell. So why not give them a chance, even if it's on a small scale. Now I see DL rolling their eyes already... but oh well, I see someone like James Franco (especially LGBT projects for him) and Joseph Gordon Levitt doing this a lot. Now granted both are attention whores of the highest order, but at least they are attention whores with their hearts in the right place. I see a lot of people with money doing this too. Some great storytelling will come out of it, so it's pretty neat.

Now this is for someone in particular, but there is this poster that always thinks of the worse case scenario. Like omg it's the end of the world/overthrow the goverment! Hon, relax. The best thing you could do to change the world is by helping others.Be more selfless, because the truth is that you're quite selfish yourself. If you had a lot of wealth and power, you would be one of those people you complain about now. So why don't you give away some of that time you have in your hands. You'll be all the more happier because of it.

And this is for another poster, that in reality needs a lot of therapy (I'm pretty sure it's a man) you could actually do a lot of harm with all that rage. Some of the things you post about are things you say and really mean them, or have done already. But why give in to so much chaos? Why must you indulge in hate and negativity?You could gain so much from loving others.

by Anonymousreply 1204/21/2012

I started reading people on here and there are some dark individuals on here that have done evil things. UGH!

Forget it!

Um, if the world DID end in 2012, why do you care? You would not be here! ☺

Namaste

by Anonymousreply 1304/21/2012

I want a reading!

by Anonymousreply 1404/21/2012

I can't believe it. But I have seen one person do it and be quickly, complexly correct with total strangers--like lightning illuminating a maze. That was Peri Lyons--mentioned in New Yorker Talk of Town last week. It was very disconcerting. I know a bit about Korean shamans, and have known a couple. Very big there, from what I understand, and apparently a rigorous study in the mountains. Haven't been there, but had some explain their empathic abilities a bit. I am pretty much a materialist, but I would appreciate any stories of incontrovertible first person experience.

by Anonymousreply 1504/21/2012

My father is an energy healer, still doing it at 83. My mother was psychic but didn't find much use for it. But every prediction she made came true. I have had esp or "knowings" since I was young. I am into creative visualization and believe that we actually create the world around us by how we think and feel about things, especially ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 1604/21/2012

If anyone here can send some healing energy (or whatever the term would be) to some of the people on the Carbon Monoxide thread -- I think that would be a nice thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 1704/21/2012

[quote]believe that we actually create the world around us by how we think and feel about things, especially ourselves.

Why are you wasting this on DL? You should be out sharing this with burn victims, abused children, and people undergoing cancer treatment.

by Anonymousreply 1904/21/2012

I went to a voodoon-hoodoon healer and got completely creeped out. I could never do that again

by Anonymousreply 2004/22/2012

Who is going to win the presidential election - Obama or Romney?

by Anonymousreply 2104/22/2012

I just want to know that everything will be ok.

by Anonymousreply 2204/22/2012

Sense anything about me or my life?

by Anonymousreply 2304/22/2012

[quote]But what about the Mayan prediction about the end of the world in December?

The Mayans never predicted the end of the world on December 21, 2012. That is simply the date their calendar runs out.

When your wall calendar runs out every year on December 31, do you assume your world will end that night? No, you just buy another calendar.

by Anonymousreply 2404/22/2012

A very interesting topic. I envy people who can fall into trance 'just like that'. Breathing exercises give me a good night sleep, but meditation and self hypnosis tapes don't result in any trance state of mind. I once read that only a few people can visualize while the rest can only imagine (with is considered a less intense form of visualizing). In another thread I asked about drugs to use for meditation purposes and peyote was kindly suggested. I have not tried it out yet.

My question(s) to OP. Do you have any rituals you follow? Special holidays you celebrate?

by Anonymousreply 2504/22/2012

(which is considered ...) sorry for the typo.

by Anonymousreply 2604/22/2012

I have seen people say it's going to be close, but meh I say it's Obama who wins. But you must vote!! Vote Vote Vote!

R18 What nonsense are you talking about? The Mayans predicted the end of a cycle, not the end of the world. Live a little and enjoy your life. It's beautiful outside and you must bask in the sun.

R22 Be more specific, I can throw you a one card reading. But since I don't know exactly what the issues is... Is it about a child? Well whatever it is... you got "She of The Cruach" think of it as a nurturing/ motherly energy. If it's something more trivial I think it means it'll be alright.

R13 Yup, I once did a tarot reading for another poster and I felt so uncomfortable. My hands started shaking and felt a little dizzy. Whoever that was I think he/she was up to no good.

by Anonymousreply 2704/22/2012

Interesting thread

by Anonymousreply 2804/22/2012

Thank you for starting the thread, OP. Can I ask DLers about shocking co-incidences? Phenomena that relate back to my tiny bicameral mind I cannot avoid using my ego to judge. Howard's End and all. And in Manhattan, running into people on the grid, is always spooky.

by Anonymousreply 2904/22/2012

For shaman:

Do you have spirit guides? My friend had 7, one was his late brother. He spent a lot of time in prayer also--said it didn't matter what kind.

He was also able to place himself inside total strangers, even at a remove.

He tried to make a living at it, but was a terrible businessman. So much like an artist, able to do it but not monetize it.

by Anonymousreply 3004/22/2012

I will be 39 next week. I have a sweet, precious one year old daughter. Never thought I'd have a child. My parents died when I was very young and my 20s and 30s were filled with emotional pain. Sometimes just extreme melodrama, sometimes real anguish. Well, I'm a lot more stable and content at last. But feel an intense amount of fear for my daughter. Please tell me she will be ok in this cruel world. Please tell me she will be protected and surrounded by loving beings. Please tell me she will be kind, wise, strong and happy

by Anonymousreply 3104/22/2012

Shaman, is my current rut terminal?

by Anonymousreply 3204/22/2012

[quote]For shaman: Do you have spirit guides? My friend had 7, one was his late brother. He spent a lot of time in prayer also--said it didn't matter what kind. He was also able to place himself inside total strangers, even at a remove.

Yes, though I make a distinction between spirit guides -- who are basically with me all the time -- and my spiritual allies, some of whom are power animals, others are plant spirits, and others are teachers of one sort or another.

I have a spirit guide who only coaches me on healing, rather like having an experienced surgeon coaching a novice through a difficult procedure. Another spirit guide helps me with the huge blockages I (and others) encounter from time to time in life.

I can place myself inside people, but not at will. It's always when it's needed, to help them physically or to speak to a deeper part of the person when the normal route is closed (as when someone is ill or in a coma, or in the case of one dear friend, when he was going through a terrible period of his live emotionally and wasn't able to listen to anyone).

I agree with your friend on prayer, so long as we broaden the definition to include meditation, conversation with the spirit world, communion with one's higher self -- whatever metaphoric language works for you. Basically it means walking with one foot in two worlds, or being continually open to your spirital self.

by Anonymousreply 3304/22/2012

[quote]Why are you wasting this on DL? You should be out sharing this with burn victims, abused children, and people undergoing cancer treatment.

Maybe he is. Maybe he's just here to relax a bit from his healing practice.

We should ALL be more altruistic than we are, I think. Everyone has a way to be of service to people in need.

by Anonymousreply 3404/22/2012

[quote]My question(s) to OP. Do you have any rituals you follow? Special holidays you celebrate?

I think OP started the thread by request of someone else. Do you mean R1? If so, the answer is "sorta, kinda, but no." Shamanism is really distinct from any particular culture or religion; it's more a set of tools or techniques that can be used by anyone of any belief system. So there can be Christian shamans, Jewish shamans, atheist shamans, pagan shamans, etc.

Personally, the solstices, equinoxes, and cross-quarters resonate with me, and friends and I will usually mark them somehow with a meal, a small gift, an acknowledgement on Facebook, something like that. Once in a great while I might host a gathering with a focus on the holiday, but it's nothing regular and there is no specific ritual involved. I celebrate some Christian religious holidays with family, and I usually eat the seder with some Jewish friends at Passover or remember the High Holy Days with them. I am physically affected by the new moon (feel weak and tired) and the full moon (insomnia), but no rituals.

I'm of two minds about rituals. When they work, and everyone is invested in them, they're terrific. But if the mood isn't right, they can be terribly hokey and then they're certainly not effective. I am all about what works. "Magic," to use an overly laden word, is about aligning your mind, will, and emotions and investing your intentions with energy. But what creates that alignment and that energy is not a one-size-fits-all proposition. Creative visualization is not just about dreaming things up, it's about believing in those dreams enough to make them come into being -- and that belief is the key feature. If rituals help that along, go for it. If not, find other approaches that work better for you.

by Anonymousreply 3504/22/2012

I have two questions for you -

1) How do you protect yourself from all of the negative vibes? There is so much of it, it's scary.

2) are you the tree hugger from the other thread? I'm the one with the chatty oak.

by Anonymousreply 3604/22/2012

Shaman, are there exercises that one can do to develop abilities like yours?

R29, this isn't shocking but here goes. In the past year I've had different friends post pictures on Facebook of themselves in a specific location. Usually when people post pictures of themselves I don't wonder where they were taken. This was different. I wanted to know. I've been curious to find this place but didn't bother asking.

Yesterday I went to four stores looking for a specific item. The last store I went to was right where those pictures were taken. It was in a part of the city I never go to. To me it was a fascinating moment

by Anonymousreply 3704/22/2012

[quote]I have two questions for you - 1) How do you protect yourself from all of the negative vibes? There is so much of it, it's scary. 2) are you the tree hugger from the other thread? I'm the one with the chatty oak.

(1) That's easier than you think. Imagine a bubble or a force field or some kind of clear protective covering extending out from your body about a foot. This barrier is impenetrable. Nothing can get in -- or out. But that's not what you want. You want it to be semi-permeable, letting your stuff out, and only letting selected stuff to come in. So "soften" the barrier, and tell it what things you want to come in (or from whom), and what things you want to keep out. You decide. Once it's in place, test it. If it needs reinforcing, reinforce it. I know this sounds all New Agey, and I'm sorry about that, since I hate that stuff. But this is really all you do: imagine it exactly the way you want it, tell yourself you are putting it in place, and it happens.

(2) No, and apparently I missed that thread altogether, but it sounds interesting.

by Anonymousreply 3804/22/2012

[quote]I did shamanic things growing up -- could communicate with animals

I'm curious as to how that manifested itself -- and whether it's still true today?

by Anonymousreply 3904/22/2012

[quote]Shaman, are there exercises that one can do to develop abilities like yours?

Honestly, I don't know. I thought there were. For most of my life, I thought these were abilities that everyone had, only in some people they were simply dormant and with a little work and practice, they could be brought to the surface. Then I worked with people on developing their abilities, and some were able to develop and some were not, and some just got frustrated with me. Finally a friend took me aside and said, "Sorry, you're just wrong on this. Everyone does NOT have these abilities. That's why in a tribe, you'd generally only have one shaman or at the most two."

I'm certainly not willing to give up on the notion that everyone can get into closer contact with their spiritual selves, but outside of meditating or praying, I think maybe you should read a book on shamanism and see if something resonates inside you. (At the link is a list of some decent books on the subject, though this isn't my list and I can only vouch for about 3/4 of the titles on it.)

by Anonymousreply 4004/22/2012

R39, I had pets growing up, and talked to them as most humans do, except I thought I heard them talking back. Sometimes only in my head, sometimes they made a sound and I felt I knew what it meant. But it has come in handy over the years. I worked in a boarding kennel, and was so adept at working with difficult cats that they put me in charge of their cattery; honestly, I just talked with them, sometimes in English and sometimes in Cat, and they just melted.

I'm really more of a dog person. I had one dog, a half-Lab half-Golden Retriever whom I could hear clear as a bell. I've had other dogs whom I couldn't communicate with no matter how hard I try. I've been able to communicate with manatees (I live in Florida), and I seem to be able to understand birds from time to time, though not regularly, and I'm a total loser when it comes to insects.

So yes, it's still true today, but it's not a permanent ability, and when it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

That's what annoys me about some psychics. You know when they've scored a hit, and then there's all this cold reading stuff going on, or they start making things up. The most brilliant, articulate people I know have times when they are dumb and stumble over their words; why would I expect a psychic to be able to receive their vibes flawlessly on a continuing basis? The truth is, they don't, but they don't fess up to the times when they aren't truly hearing anything.

by Anonymousreply 4104/22/2012

Oh fuck off, shaman wannabe.

White people living in a modern world can't be shamans or medicine men/women.

Bunch of plastic, New Age twats, the lot of you.

Real shamans and medicine men/women DO NOT ever teach white men or women.

Any white man or woman claiming to be shamans are either liars or they were duped by a fake teacher.

by Anonymousreply 4204/22/2012

So... Real shamans and medicine men/women are racists?

by Anonymousreply 4304/22/2012

[quote]I really think the Maya were ahead of their time, and were dead on when they said 2012 would be the beginning of a new era of consciousness.

They didn't have leap days in their calendar. It's already 2013. Where's your new era now, shaman?

by Anonymousreply 4404/22/2012

Great thread. I am definitely going to get one of those books on the list. I have a very strong connection -psychic? - with my mother. Always have had though we don't really address it much. Just laugh it off when it is really obvious. I haven't lived at home since i was 15, and we live far apart. I'm male and have the same connection with my sister just not as intense. We mention it more. I surprise her sometimes. She thinks more of it. I usually go with "just a coincidence."

I can get random connections to some people in my life too. I have one client that always laughs when I call her because she was just about to dial me. Again, I tend to think coincidence but it happens all the time.

I am really affected by music. I will sing a random song, get in a car and it will be on the radio. Just a little example that I have been doing since I was a kid. People would notice that too so it wasn't just in my head. I ended up getting a degree in music yet I don't sing or play an instrument. Work in the music industry too.

So, Shaman. Do you get anything of of me? I would love to know about my spirit guide(s).

by Anonymousreply 4504/22/2012

[quote]They didn't have leap days in their calendar. It's already 2013. Where's your new era now, shaman?

I think you need to turn on your troll-dar to keep the speakers straight. Shaman didn't say anything about a new era.

by Anonymousreply 4604/22/2012

R45, I notice coincidences too. My favorites are when I'm reading, have the tv on, and I read a word just as it's being said on tv. That happens to me a lot. I don't mean words like "the" or "a" either.

by Anonymousreply 4704/22/2012

I'm sort of a combo of types mentioned above, but don't do much now.

First, I'm Native American, and we hate the word shaman related to us. I won't speak more about that, but it's a fact.

But I didn't grow up with that kind of medicine, beyond using plants and some traditional "granny" methods to treat illness like colds or flu.

But as an adult, I studied Chinese martial arts and discovered I could use my life-force energy in ways beyond what I expected from a fighting technique. It became a major focus of my life to heal people in need, and initially the results surprised me more than it did the people who were healed.

Sometimes people had spontaneous remissions of disease or other apparent miracles in their lives, and often the results were so immediate and dramatic it was hard not to attribute it to what I had done.

But as word got around, I started having a lot of people ask for help who didn't want to help themselves.

For example, if I tried to teach them exercises to boost their life force and increase their own healing and personal power, they weren't interested; they just wanted me to fix them. Or they would say anything they thought I wanted to hear in order to get what they wanted.

Also, when their life choices had obviously contributed to their dis-ease, they wanted me to fix them while they continued to do what caused the problem in the first place.

If they smoked or used drugs or drank or were obese, they didn't want to change their habits, or they would say they would change, but didn't.

Or if they lived with an abuser or a drug addict or alcoholic, they wanted me to make the relationship better, when they wouldn't stand up for themselves or their children, who were often the real victims of the poisonous life they had created.

That wasn't an issue with everyone, but it became more prevalent the longer I did it. And when I told people I couldn't help them if they didn't make changes themselves, they often got angry and made threats and acted as if I had a magic wand to fix their lives and was refusing to help them.

Also, I had some financial problems related to doing the work, because I didn't like charging money, but it took up so much of my time I lost a lot of income by not being able to do other work.

I didn't like making payment a condition of what I could do for them, but when I asked them to make a donation, almost everyone gave nothing, even people who had a lot of money.

Not surprisingly, the people who got the most benefit from what I did also were willing to make the changes I suggested or do the exercises I taught them, and they were also usually the ones who would make a donation, even when all they could afford was a few dollars.

About 10 years ago I had to move about a hundred miles, and I haven't done the work in any serious way since then. On a few rare occasions I have offered to work on people who needed it, but it hasn't been a big part of my life since I moved where I live now.

Sometimes I get a feeling or message that I need to refocus what my life and make it more about helping people in need, but I have mostly ignored those impulses, mainly because even after 10 years, I'm still burned out and disillusioned by the way I felt overwhelmed and disrespected and used in my practice before.

I garden s lot, though, which is healing to my spirit, and I'm becoming something of an artist, and have recently taken a job that also nurtures that part of my psyche, so maybe it's time to think seriously about creating a new healing practice that won't leave me as depleted and unhappy as I was before.

by Anonymousreply 4804/22/2012

Anyone who survives the coming apocalypse can rewrite history. If they still can write. And read

by Anonymousreply 4904/22/2012

I think that experiencing "psychic" phenomena myself has taken me from being an atheist, right through agnosticism and now I don't know where I am!

I started reading books (never the Bible). I read Freud's Future of an Illusion (about religion), Obedience to Authority by Milman (about how far people will go to appease authority), Divine Fire by Brad Steiger (a collection of experts talking about psychic phenomena), and On the Road by Jack Kerouac.

Then I read Seth Speaks and found myself embracing everything I had made fun of in the past. I used to laugh at people who were into religion, yet I was into astrology - which, when you think about it, is just another way to put people into boxes and judge them. My father cured me twice where the best specialists in NYC couldn't, and I still find myself skeptical because it doesn't work every time. But the point is it worked twice for me in the past.

I think the most important thing I've learned is that we are all multidimensional beings like OP says, yet some of us don't have the time or inclination to explore our inner selves.

by Anonymousreply 5004/22/2012

do you in any way connect same sex attraction with your powers or your powers with same sex attraction ?

by Anonymousreply 5204/22/2012

r42, the Benandanti of northern italy are an example of 'white people' shamanic traditions.

by Anonymousreply 5304/22/2012

There are also some in Russia which is where the word shaman comes from if I remember correctly r53.

by Anonymousreply 5504/22/2012

R53, every culture and people of every color have traditions like you're talking about.

At the risk of misinterpreting, I believe R42 is talking about the many white Americans who claim to be shamans and to have studied with Native American or who claim to have learned from their grandmother who learned it from her grandmother who was a Cherokee princess (there's no such thing, of course).

Also, one reason the word shaman is so offensive to us is that it's an anthropologist's term for someone they study like a zoo animal, and it implies the superiority of the observer, even when it is adopted by someone who claims to have studied with and learned from a "genuine" Native American shaman.

Because no real Native medicine doctor teaches white people. All those (often white-looking) Native Americans in Sedona are frauds, and the people who pay them are either willing or unwilling frauds, as well.

by Anonymousreply 5604/22/2012

and I guess you know the truth and all there is to know about reality

by Anonymousreply 5704/22/2012

R57 was for R54 who is so up for the adventure.

by Anonymousreply 5804/22/2012

Here's the thread with the tree-hugger. It's r46.

I'm chatty oak.

R48 - that happens to a lot of people. Users and losers seem to gravitate toward people they can leech off of. It's very common. They don't really want help. They want you to "wave your magic wand" like you said and make it all better.

Maybe "shaman" is being used as sort of a "catch all" phrase here. Not meant disrespectfully.

It's just a discussion.

by Anonymousreply 5904/22/2012

You believe in magical supernatural powers that have never EVER been evidenced or proven... and you want to lecture me about reality?

Really?

There are million dollar rewards out there for ANY evidence of actual psychic phenomena... which have gone uncollected for decade after decade.

Meanwhile, there is TONS of evidence of charlatans, con artists, and just basic "tricks" that can sure seem like psychic ability, but which are no more actual magic than magic tricks. Likewise there is TONS of evidence in how the human brain processes information, finding patterns where none exist, conflating coincidences, misunderstanding statistical frequencies, and the whole "semantic net/filter" phenomenon.

There are scientists out there trying to find evidence of psychic anything. But given that most claims would have to violate fundamental laws of nature and physics (that have stood the test of time) it's unlikely such claims will ever be proven.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and there exists not even a hint of "lame" proof.

Much of it is just jumping to conclusions based on ignorance (i.e. "We don't know what happened there and can't explain it... therefore ALIENS!!")

by Anonymousreply 6004/22/2012

[quote]do you in any way connect same sex attraction with your powers or your powers with same sex attraction?

I think there is a higher percentage of homosexuals in what one might call "spiritual" professions or callings (and always have been throughout history), which may stem from having felt "different" all one's life. But I don't think same-sex attraction confers "powers" at all.

by Anonymousreply 6104/22/2012

[quote]Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and there exists not even a hint of "lame" proof.

Untrue. You can tune into any one of those psychic shows and watch skeptics have public meltdowns on camera. If they're set up ahead of time, these people are good actors. They all cry and get choked up.

Then they say, "I have to admit, I didn't believe in this stuff. But now . . . there were definitely things he/she couldn't have known about."

by Anonymousreply 6204/22/2012

Thank you, R59. I had forgotten it was a thread about acorns. Duh.

BTW, when I posted that, I had also forgotten about an excellent book, The Secret Life of Plants, by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird, which details a series of scientific tests that conclusively prove plants have consciousness and can communicate with each other and with humans.

by Anonymousreply 6304/22/2012

You're pretty gullible, R62. I'm just saying.

by Anonymousreply 6404/22/2012

Thanks for the link, r48/r63. That sounds really interesting. I'm going to add it to my wish list.

I wonder how many other things on the planet are just chatting away and we're just too wrapped up in our own nonsense to hear or understand it?

by Anonymousreply 6504/22/2012

Healers = people who are too lazy to do the work and take the time to go to a school of health professions.

by Anonymousreply 6604/22/2012

R48/R63, I'm almost scared to look into the subject. Does that mean my plants are pissed at me for forgetting to water them? If one of my plants dies, will the others be forever pissed at me?

by Anonymousreply 6704/22/2012

I find this thread fascinating. I have recently become more in touch with my spiritual / greater conscious self. And funny enough it started with Jenna on 30 rock. She was going on about how she was " Secreting" since she was practicing the Secret. I read the book which lead me to Abraham, Jerry and Esther hicks. That lead me to a podcast which lead me to this technique called Flowdreaming started by a woman named Summer McStravick. Her and her mom both claim to be intuits and she created flow dreaming as a technique to help people creatively manifest their lives. I listen to her and her moms podcast.

One thing I have come to believe is that our conscious mind actually exists outside of our brain and our brain acts as an antenna or receptor. Just like a cell phone picking up waves our brain picks up our own personal energy wave or sometimes other people's energy or ideas. That's why you have coincidences of thinking of something then seeing it or hearing it. You and that person or object were on the same wave.

Certain people can easily access other people's minds and work with them to heal or move their life along. They can access deeper levels of that person this way than just merely talking with them.

Anyway r48, you should check her out because she has definitely found a way to monetize her talent.

I personally have never had a reading but would love one. I guess I am still on the fence emotionally with truly believing this actually works and have been unwilling to pay the hundreds of dollars readings can cost. R1 if you see or feel anything about me I am interested in hearing it. I fill stuck right now and feel as if Ive been waiting for my life to begin my entire adulthood.

by Anonymousreply 6804/22/2012

I wouldn't call myself a shaman or psychic but I am highly intuitive. I'm a therapist and that seems to be really helpful in terms of getting a sense of what people are going through and helping them towards solutions that might work better for them. I've always had a sense of knowing more about people than they're saying and it used to freak me out a bit before figuring out how to deal with it in a way that is healthy for both me and those around me.

by Anonymousreply 6904/22/2012

Aren't shamans really just people who want to use peyote legally?

by Anonymousreply 7004/22/2012

If you like Abraham Hicks you might want to check out Bashar channeled by Daryl Anka. Youtube it. I find his material a lot better and than Hicks' though his personality and Scottish accent in the earlier videos is distracting.

by Anonymousreply 7104/22/2012

[quote]Healers = people who are too lazy to do the work and take the time to go to a school of health professions.

Untrue. My Dad the healer has a PhD and has been in a clinical practice for 50 years. He uses the power of visualization sometimes and claims he is just the "facilitator" not the source.

by Anonymousreply 7204/22/2012

My favorite psychic: The Long Island Medium! Big hair, long nails, and spirits who won't stfu!

by Anonymousreply 7304/22/2012

Love the Long Island Medium! There's a lot of 'em out here.

by Anonymousreply 7404/22/2012

Thread suggester here. Amorphous stuff sure. New age goop a bore, and certainly charlatans abound, but I was hoping, DLers might get anectdotal. Specific odd events.

If I wanted silly myth, I could go listen to a Scientologist/Crowleyite schizophrenic. Korean friend shaman gave insights. Lyons can name unknowable specifics, weird to do with a stranger (family names, avocations, family illnesses, others).

Intuition would not be fact, would it? so any stories?

By the way: boo!!

by Anonymousreply 7504/22/2012

Can we get a real goddamn psychic in here to tell me who I'm going to marry?

by Anonymousreply 7604/22/2012

Long Island Medium seems like another hucksterish John Edwards type. I'm betting she checks the obits then hones in on places where loved ones of the recently deceased congregate.

by Anonymousreply 7704/22/2012

R75-

I posted earlier as an intuitive. I tend to get images in my head that relate to the person I'm talking to or even around people I just see out and about. I also find that I can tell when people are lying even if they're just on TV (I always seem to know when the "grieving husband" did it and when he didn't). I don't have the ability to see into the future although I'm not concerned about 2012 and I definitely think Obama is going to win (more common sense and the fact that the Rs have picked the weakest nominee since the Ds picked Mondale).

On a simple level you might want to go to Paris and when I'm talking to you I might get a picture of the Eiffel Tower in my head before you tell me what your plans are. With clients I get pictures of different people or situations in my head that then prompts me to ask about stuff ("What was elementary school like for you?" or something like that). I would never advertise myself as an intuitive and I don't think I'd even mention it if this wasn't an anonymous forum.

by Anonymousreply 7804/22/2012

R16 -To the person with the father healing people at 83 years of age....

YOU ARE A LOVE and so is your father.From "atheist to agnostic",your psychic gifts are taking you right on through to a very ancient secret about the physical world of reality and it's powers. Keep communicating from the ground up.The natural world is still just half-discovered territory, and these magical bodies of ours hold the key if we don't take them for granted as being merely earthbound. THEY are the connective link that will make sense of all else that, so far, hasn't. You just keep travelin through all your questioning.Your insight is keen and will grow cause YOU'RE A LOVE and I think you're in for one wonder-filled solution,this lifetime around. (and Seth was my friend too)

by Anonymousreply 7904/23/2012

The Secret Life of Plants is a really interesting book. Love it, although I feel guilty weeding my garden now!

R79 are you the NDE person who saw the magical power of trees and told us we just have to "be", in order to counteract dark evil energy?

Damn I used to be so bitter and cynnical. It feels better to be a goofy flake. :)

by Anonymousreply 8004/23/2012

R69 can you see anything for me? My bf is psychic and I love closet psychics. I always get a wonderful reading from them.

Craigmcmanus com

by Anonymousreply 8104/23/2012

I meant the last post for r78

by Anonymousreply 8204/23/2012

collective unconscious

by Anonymousreply 8304/23/2012

[quote]are you the NDE person who saw the magical power of trees and told us we just have to "be", in order to counteract dark evil energy?

where is this thread? I want to see the original post!

Or if the poster who had the NDE would kindly post to this thread for us!

by Anonymousreply 8404/23/2012

R84 it was called Do you ever think "why bother?" It wasba sad downer thread that became comforting and inspiring to me. I don't know why, but DL won't let me paste the link in this reply.

by Anonymousreply 8504/24/2012

I have experience "signposts" during trajectories of both wonderful and terrible events in my life. Strange coincidences that seem to collect to work for or against my interests.

by Anonymousreply 8604/24/2012

"sham an" says it all. "psych ick" says it all.

by Anonymousreply 8704/24/2012

Is this the thread, R85?

by Anonymousreply 8804/24/2012

Thanks, r88.

I missed that thread. The NDE person was very interesting. I can imagine the first words when you crashed back into your body would be swear words.

by Anonymousreply 8904/24/2012

r27 has seriously creeped me out. In the weird way of how in the hell . . .?

I googled "she of the cruach" and I'm seriously aghast.

The top hit was "chalice or bowl".

One of my recurring dreams revolves around The Grail (not the Monty Python version, either).

Very weird. And appropriate for the thread topic.

by Anonymousreply 9004/24/2012

Google "Two Spirit"

Native peoples used to honor those who could walk between and across genders. Families actually used to celebrate having a "two spirited" child and they would do everything to nurture that child to be two-spirited.

Two spirited people had important roles in the tribes: shaman's, counsellors, healers, raising orphaned children, teachers, etc.

It sure is a big difference from today.

by Anonymousreply 9104/24/2012

[quote]Example: At least once every week, or month if your schedule is to hectic, set twenty minutes for meditation/prayer/whateveryoucallit and think about all the people you care about. Envision them smiling, happy, and healthy. Give them all your good intentions, all your kidness, and all your love. That is pretty much the best gift your could possibly give them.

I have been practicing a LovingKindness meditation from a Jack Kornfeld cd.

This is so weird....

Last week I forced myself to do one for my boss. He has been cruel and sharp. Whatever drama is going on with his family he takes it out on me. Just a shit attitude.

So not last weekend but the weekend before, I repeated the LK for him for 5 min.

I swear to God sometime last week his mean streak stopped. Just strolled by my office in a chipper mood and has been since then.

I didn't even think about it until you said something.

Bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 9204/24/2012

Yes R88 Thanks :)

by Anonymousreply 9304/24/2012

i'm not saying it isn't real, but get real people, like someone can "read" you by just typing a sentence on a messageboard? clowns.

by Anonymousreply 9404/25/2012

[quote]And funny enough it started with Jenna on 30 rock. She was going on about how she was " Secreting" since she was practicing the Secret.

Oprah also used to talk about how much "The Secret" worked, but if it works so well, why is her network OWN a total failure?

by Anonymousreply 9504/25/2012

to the psychics/shamans on this thread, since you have a clearer/better view of our connection with the universe, doesn't the profundity of this POV un-synch with the state of living now?

i don't think i'm especially intuitive or gifted, but i've always felt there's something more, but i don't know what exactly, so you're constantly searching for an unknown, making your current state not make sense/jibe with you. an analogy to explain the feeling would be you're like a.. hmm.. fish who's never seen water swimming in air. you see everything around you, the flora and fauna, the clouds, you can appreciate them, but somehow, even if you can survive swimming in air, you know there's something/somewhere you should be and end up not making a real connection to the world you're swimming *through*. you have to be somewhere, but don't know where and everything else is just a pass through. does that make sense? sometimes, i feel it makes sense, like a gut-clue, but other times, i feel it's just self-indulgent, lazy navel-gazing of an idealist.

by Anonymousreply 9604/25/2012

R 96 After a certain age,if you have been playing the game right,life reveals to you it's true nature and your purpose in it and you feel finally home and ready to live 'monogamously' within a single focus rendering all else that came before a blur. So r96, it takes a lot of ego filled self indulgent navel gazing to grow beyond that self indulgent navel gazing ego. So.... Gaze away! And life will thank you for it.

by Anonymousreply 9704/27/2012

So study, then enter the world again

by Anonymousreply 9804/27/2012

I sense someone reading this thread with a first name which begins with the letter "B"...

by Anonymousreply 9904/27/2012

I'm obsessed with someone who's first name starts with a "B". Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 10004/28/2012

R12, I like you. You have a good heart.

R19, if only life were that simple. Life isn't about being happy all the time or being pain free, challenges and how we deal with them are how we grow as human beings. You'd be surprised at how finding beauty and positivity effects you. And if you can pass that along, that is one of the greatest gifts you can give.

by Anonymousreply 10104/28/2012

Threads that go bump in the night

by Anonymousreply 10205/01/2012

My nine year old is hearing voices. He thinks that it is the devil. I took him to a counselor, and he wants us to go to a psychiatrist to put him on medication. How do I know that he isn't having some sort of psychic visions or messages? I know it sounds crazy, but he really does perform well in school and does well 99 percent of the time.

by Anonymousreply 10305/01/2012

Not to trifle with, r103.

by Anonymousreply 10405/01/2012

[quote]My nine year old is hearing voices.

What are the voices saying? That is really a primary consideration.

The difference between mental illness and psychic phenomena is that with the former, the voices help you become MORE functional, while with the latter, they make you become LESS functional.

by Anonymousreply 10505/01/2012

r103 that's very sad. I think a psychiatrist's visit is in order too. Does he feel at the mercy of these voices? does he say they tell him what to do?

Could it possibly be that it is an overactive imagination?

by Anonymousreply 10605/01/2012

Sorry, hit "Save Post" too soon.

Assuming one grants the existence of spirits, guardian angels or spirit guides will only try to help and heal you. And they don't intrude unduly. You can stop hearing them if you want to.

So what has given him the idea that it's the Devil? From where does he get his concept of the Devil?

If the voices are disruptive, or confusing, or authoritative, that is more indicative of something wrong with the brain (a checmical imbalance, a tumor) than a true spiritual experience.

by Anonymousreply 10705/01/2012

R103 here. My son has always been different. We have always attended a gay friendly christian church, and he told me many times that he could remember being in heaven before he was born etc. He would sit at the kitchen table when he was two and say that he could feel and see god, while he waved his hands around. He told me about six months ago about the voice. It tells him that he is stupid, ugly, and should not bother trying when he is at school and trying to do new things. He also said that it is a deep voice, and he thinks it is the devil. It is all very disturbing, and the psychiatrist is $300 an hour! When he was having these visions as a younger child, everyone said that he had a special connection to god, and now everyone is saying that he needs to be medicated. My sister is bipolar, and I hate the thought of having to put a 9 year old on antipsychotic meds when he is doing well in school and socially. I guess that I would like to believe that there was just something from the spiritual realm going on here, instead of psychological issues.

by Anonymousreply 10805/01/2012

It's some sort of phenomena, R103/R108. Children can often see many things that adults can't.

by Anonymousreply 10905/01/2012

R103, that definitely sounds like schizophrenia. There is good medicine that can help schizophrenics quiet those disturbing voices ( which will only get worse as they get older, sadly)

by Anonymousreply 11005/01/2012

[quote] Oprah also used to talk about how much "The Secret" worked, but if it works so well, why is her network OWN a total failure?

1 - Oprah is worth over a BILLION dollars, so my guess is The Secret is working for her

2 - The Secret doesn't promise you won't still struggle.

by Anonymousreply 11105/01/2012

Should I go to Berlin in August?

Someone tell me, please.

by Anonymousreply 11205/01/2012

Will I sell a screenplay in the next year? Someone reach out and tell me.

by Anonymousreply 11305/01/2012

Free fortune telling is not what the thread is about.

by Anonymousreply 11405/02/2012

When I was a kid I didn't actually 'hear voices', I had visitors, usually when I took tests. There were two. One was a floozy, neurotic middle aged woman (probably derived from the movement instructor in 'Harriet The Spy') and a man, a white haired authority figure (not resembling any male role model in my family. More a banker). Arguably, they could be informed by my parents' personalities or something, but they don't really match. These two 'characters' would bicker while I tried to concentrate during tests. With my 'mental voice' I would order them to get lost so I could work. I told my brother about this. He was probably thirteen years old. He asked if they were violent or something. I said no, just distracting. He said, well, whatever you do, don't tell mom and dad. Eventually these 'characters' faded away, but not right away. I am sure that if I told any adult about this today I would be improperly medicated. You can make fun of me if you want, but I would transition this kid (without telling him) to a raw (if you can) vegetarian diet, supplementing with small doses of iodine, lots of water, and an additional hour of sleep. Make sure he gets morning sunlight, about twenty minutes. Encourage him to include this 'demon' character in stories, with more balanced, truly 'good' characters getting that world in order. Ask your child why the demon is sad and needs attention, why he makes himself unhappy. Gently remind your child people have incredible control over their mental state. Because they do. Most people just give up. Today I am, in 2012, considerably more content and balanced than others, with nascent psychic powers. I know if people are thieves, lying, and more. I believe pharma is used to shut this natural ability down. Like an earlier poster said, due to galactic phenomena, 'clean living' 'good' people will begin to experience psychic skills, to the betterment of human life. 'Bad' people will be as obvious as if they were covered in red paint. Perceptual rules are being rewritten and rebooted due to magnetic energy sweeping across the solar system.

by Anonymousreply 11505/02/2012

And: no fluoride.

by Anonymousreply 11605/02/2012

r108 I would seek out a cognitive therapist who's had experience with young children. Someone who can get him to see that the voice inside might be his own self-doubts, and he doesn't have to listen to it or obey it.

My understandings of antipsychotic meds (from people who've taken them) is they basically flatline you. So if he is otherwise functioning ok (he gets dressed, eats, moves around, does his schoolwork) it sounds like they're not required.

good luck. he sounds like a special kid.

by Anonymousreply 11705/02/2012

He may be just a very imaginative kid who likes attention. Unless he is violent with people or animals, try to hold off on the meds. And maybe put him in a different school where he is busier with creative projects and group activites. Is your child isolated or does he have friends?

by Anonymousreply 11805/02/2012

I've had half a dozen serious deja vu experiences where I realize that twenty years ago I dreamed of a day that just happened. And I wonder if my subconscious directed me to the situation that I experienced, or whether there was crack in time, or whether somehow my memory was altered to incorporate the new event. And I don't mean life changing days. Just ordinary situations.

by Anonymousreply 11905/02/2012

R115 was obviously never visited by the ghost of grammar past. Learn about paragraphs instead of the paranormal.

by Anonymousreply 12005/02/2012

actually R120, you energy-sucking lizard, I chose not to. I am a published writer. Now go back to tweezing your anus.

by Anonymousreply 12105/02/2012

Best grammar nazi rejoinder ever!

by Anonymousreply 12205/02/2012

I still need to know if I should go to Berlin in August.

I don't care if that's a cheezy question to ask of this very elevated thread.

by Anonymousreply 12305/02/2012

Go to Berlin.

by Anonymousreply 12405/02/2012

So posting messages on Datalounge is now considered being "published?"

by Anonymousreply 12505/02/2012

Go to Berlin.

Anybody who is seriously interested in shamanism should read SHAMANISM: ARCHAIC THECHNIQUES OF ECTASY by Mircea Eliade, which is considered the "textbook" on shamanism.

"real" shamans do not refer to themselves as shamans but as "Shamanic Practioners," and the first in depth post explaining Shamanism was excellent. I would like to clarify one thing - ALL cultures have rituals, rites, etc., that correspond with how we define shamanism today. It does NOT refer ONLY to Native Americans. The Foundation for Shamanic Studies has an excellent website. Renowned anthropologist Michael Harner has worked very hard to create a system of educating and making available the various practices from the shamanic world to the general public. If anybody here is really interested, I would suggest you read the book I recommended or go to the Foundation's website.

Believe me, it's very interesting and the more you learn, the more it seems as if the thread unravels to reveal to even more. (I felt the same way when I read Joseph Campbell's books.) i

by Anonymousreply 12605/03/2012

Hello - if anyone could answer my question I would be very grateful. I have just moved to a new city alone and for years I have wanted to become an actor. I am doing an acting course and I was wondering if I should keep pursuing acting. If so where should I go from here? I also have a creative writing degree but expressing myself and my creativity through acting makes me happy and fulfilled.

by Anonymousreply 12705/03/2012

You can be a camera. Go to Berlin.

by Anonymousreply 12805/03/2012

I've had similar types of experiences that R119 writes about. Since I was very small I've had deja vu dreams--nothing spectacular or life-altering, and often they don't come true until months or sometimes years later. I don't talk about them much because people think it sounds either insane or self-indulgent.

by Anonymousreply 12905/03/2012

Bitches, I know all about this shit.

by Anonymousreply 13005/03/2012

Thank you for your wonderful post, [R12] I appreciate it very much, and believe it entirely.

by Anonymousreply 13105/03/2012

Gosh, shaman, no answer to question about "terminal rut' is an answer

by Anonymousreply 13205/03/2012

[ R 127] Life's too short; do what makes you happy. My answer for you is to continue acting; connect with a good studio (classes/plays) and create a community of others who share your passion. Do not enter into this field with the intention of making money or becoming famous, but because you have something truly to offer the world. The more you work the better you will become. Keep journals and don't stop writing, but do it for yourself. I also got the following images for you and have no idea if these make sense: November, water, someone with the initial M who has passed and offers you support & encouragement - and finally, the color yellow. I have no idea what these all mean, the snold are for you to interpret (or not).

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 13305/04/2012

[quote]Gosh, shaman, no answer to question about "terminal rut' is an answer

Well, two things:

1. As I said before, I'm not a fortuneteller.

2. No rut is terminal if you climb out of it and walk a new path. There are hundreds of ways to break out of old patterns; most any self-help book will tell you how. But none of these will do anything for you until you're ready to leave the old, comfortable, well-worn ways in your life and do whatever it is your heart is actually yearning for.

And that's something you didn't need a shaman to tell you. You knew it already.

by Anonymousreply 13405/04/2012

Do we get the word Sham from Shaman?

by Anonymousreply 13505/04/2012

[quote]Do we get the word Sham from Shaman?

No.

"Shaman" is a Tungus/Siberian word meaning "priest" (which may, in turn, derive from the Chinese phrase "sha men" meaning "Buddhist monk").

"Sham," on the other hand, is a 17th century variant of "shame."

by Anonymousreply 13605/06/2012

Thanx for spanx, Shaman

by Anonymousreply 13705/08/2012

by Anonymousreply 13805/22/2012

Thanks, OP and everyone else. Needed a thread like tonight to keep my mind (in gear, on track)

by Anonymousreply 13905/22/2012

Not necessarily "spooky stuff" but a question to those who are sensitive - how do you protect yourself?

Seriously. When I am at work, I feel like I have to hide my true self or I will be torn to shreds.

When I can be with family & friends or doing something I enjoy, I don't feel like I have to hide.

How does one practice being a good person when you're afraid you're going to get your throat ripped out?

by Anonymousreply 14005/22/2012

I've been single for like a year and am getting sick of it. Can any of the psychics in here tell me if I'll meet someone soon? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 14105/22/2012

[quote]ALL cultures have rituals, rites, etc., that correspond with how we define shamanism today. It does NOT refer ONLY to Native Americans.

Native American spiritual leaders do not refer to themselves as "shamans". They are called medicine men or medicine women.

This is how you can tell someone who is for real from someone who is a member of the "wanabi" tribe (wanna-be). Anyone claiming to be a Native American shaman is full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 14205/24/2012

The following is from a family member's web page:

1. Offering anything religious for sale. Money is never accepted by authentic holy people in exchange for Indian religious ceremonies like sweat lodges or sun dances, nor for religious items like medicine bags or smudged items. (They might sell arts and crafts, of course. Use your common sense--a devout Catholic might sell you a hand-carved crucifix to hang on your wall, for example, but he wouldn't sell communion wafers over the Internet or charge you admission to bring you to his church! Selling dreamcatchers or fetish carvings online is one thing, but don't believe information provided by anyone who is trying to charge people for smudging or blessing anything, making medicine, or letting them take part in a sweat lodge or dance. They are not authentic sources of information.)

2. Inviting you into their religion on their webpage. Authentic Indians may seek to educate strangers online, but actually adopting an outsider as part of their culture is only done face-to-face and after knowing the person for some time.

3. Claiming to be American Indian shamans , talking about tarot cards and Wiccan/pagan things, or talking about crystals and New Age things. I've got nothing against shamanism, paganism, or the New Age, but a cow is not a horse: none of these things are traditionally Native American. Shamanism is a Russian mystic tradition, Wicca is a religion based in pre-Christian European traditions, Tarot readings are an Indo-European divination method, and the New Age is a syncretic belief system invented, as its name suggests, in the modern era. None of them have anything to do with authentic Indian traditions, and anyone who thinks they do is likely to be wrong about anything else he claims about Native American religions as well. Wiccans and New Agers don't have any more knowledge about actual American Indian beliefs than you do.

4. Identifying only as 'Native American' or 'American Indian' (an authentic person would list their actual tribal affiliation). Be a little wary, too, of people trying to speak with authority who identify as "mixed-blood" or "of Indian descent" or having a "Cherokee ancestor." There are certainly some mixed-blood people who were raised in their tribe's culture, but many more were not. A person who has rediscovered his Indian heritage as an adult is a seeker, not a teacher. He is not qualified to speak authoritatively about Native American religion or culture, for he wasn't raised that way and doesn't have any more knowledge about it than anyone else learning about it second-hand--including you.

by Anonymousreply 14305/24/2012

More:

If you're trying to learn about American Indian religion because you want to become a part of it, though, you not only face that problem, but another, much deeper one as well: American Indian spirituality is not evangelistic. It is private and entirely cultural. You cannot convert to 'Native American' any more than you can convert to being black. (In fact, many Indians--myself included--are Christians in addition to our traditional tribal beliefs, just like many black people are Christian in addition to being black.) The only way to 'join' a Native American spiritual tradition is to become a member of the cultural group, and it's impossible to do that over the Internet. No one who truly believed in American Indian spirituality would ever offer to tutor total strangers in religious matters online, much less charge anyone money for such a thing. So, by definition, the people who make these offers are those who either don't really believe in Native American spirituality, or don't know very much about it. Is that really who you want to be listening to?

On our site, we have generally given people the benefit of the doubt with our links, including websites unless we are sure there is a reason not to. Regarding Native American religion and spirituality, however, we have decided to err on the side of caution instead. Anyone who is looking for a new religion or seeking spiritual truth is a needy individual and I will not contribute to their being used by irresponsible people. If you are reading this page because you are a person in need of religious and spiritual guidance, I urge you strongly to seek out some religions that are evangelistic rather than cultural (one of the many Christian churches, Buddhism, Baha'i; there are many choices) and talk to spiritual leaders there until you find one that can help you. Falling under the influence of a false 'shaman' will only hurt you spiritually.

Since I have put this page up, I have received many anguished emails saying "But my grandmother was part Cherokee... are you telling me to just forget that part of myself? How can I honor my Native ancestors if you won't share your religion with me?" The answer is simple: honor them the way they would want to be honored. Don't pay some new-age guru $250 to perform fake "Native American" rituals that would have offended your ancestors, go physically to their tribe and re-connect with their other descendants. It will be hard work convincing the people there that you are genuine but if you go with humility and patience you will eventually be accepted, and that is the ONLY way you will ever become part of the spiritual tradition you desire. There is no shortcut to that. Native spirituality belongs only to the cultural group, and anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to make some money off of you and/or to take a power trip at your expense.

You've been warned. Good luck, with whatever it is you're looking for. You're probably going to need it.

by Anonymousreply 14405/24/2012

Plastic shamans.

by Anonymousreply 14505/24/2012

White Shamans and Plastic Medicine Men

by Anonymousreply 14605/24/2012

"Core shamanism"

My personal message to them would be that I hope they come to see three main points:

1) It is not only wildly inaccurate, it is also disrespectful to try to lump together literally tens of thousands of different tribal beliefs together under "shamanism". Not even most Siberian peoples use the term.

2) It is frankly wishful thinking to try and pretend: a. a haphazard bunch of practices stolen from tribal traditions... b. by an unrelated collection of lost people... c. usually led by those who often got their "advanced" training at a weekend seminar...

have any similarity whatsoever to tribal traditions that are: a. built up over many generations with great care b. by people with common lineage and culture c. led by tribal elders who are trained for DECADES, not over a weekend.

To me the "shamanism movement" is more accurately termed the would-be shaman movement, or in the case of many of its more exploitative leaders like Michael Harner, the pseudo-shamanism bunch.

3) In the end, "core shamanism" is wishful thinking, a way of justifying theft of tribal traditions and practices by falsely claiming they are "universal". Outside of incredibly broad things like belief in a deity or afterlife, that just isn't ever true.

by Anonymousreply 14705/24/2012

Love reading about stuff like this and looking forward to many more posts! Any psychics or shamans get a feeling for a CA earthquake this year? Perhaps 2 major quakes in the summer, maybe as soon as next month? Does anyone sense anything about 2012 in regards to a change or shift in thinking or rebirth for humanity? Also, does anyone see anything for me in terms of job/career (or school) this year? Lastly, anything on the radar in terms of meeting anyone special this year or next? Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 14805/24/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 14905/28/2012

For Native Americans and others, there is a difference between being a Shaman and a Medicine Man/Woman.

ALL SHAMANS are Medicine Men/Women, but not all Medicine Men/Women are Shamans.

And, this cannot be said enough: "real" Shamans DO NOT call or identify themselves as Shamans. The closest they get is: "Shamanic Practioners."

by Anonymousreply 15005/31/2012

I wish all the shamans could heal our sick society.

by Anonymousreply 15106/01/2012

I'm in a perfect storm of financial, employment,and mental collapse. I don't see any way out. Someone, anyone, tell me what to do.

by Anonymousreply 15206/01/2012

Don't panic, r152. That's the first thing.

Then take stock of where you are financially, emotionally and physically.

There are a lot of possibilities in chaos even though it sucks like hell.

by Anonymousreply 15306/01/2012

what's going on r152? Maybe people here can help.

r153 is right: Try not to freak out. Things usually aren't as hopeless as they seem. People bounce back from all kinds of stuff, even when it seems insurmountable.

by Anonymousreply 15406/01/2012

[R152] I have been harassed to death at work. It's always very subtle, but has had me in constant fear for 3 years now. I take Effexor, Zoloft, Seraquel, and an anti-anxiety drug that isn't working. The worst thing is that people don't believe it, but I have emails and saved instant messages to prove it. As of Wednesday, I am out on short term disability; it doesn't matter, my ex-boss has spread things about me to all the other agencies I work with. She told an insider in the Democratic Party that we mutually know something bad enough that the insider came up to me at a recent function and said (stressed) "Are you ok?" I replied I am fine. "But beyond fine, are you ok? Are you happy?" I don't know her well enough to come up to me at a function and say that.

At this point I feel like going to the EEOC with all my records or going the the top HR department, not our HR department, and show them what I have been put through. Honestly, she has ruined not just me, but anyone she feels like. Total sociopath and people know it. I almost have nothing to lose, professionally. My mind is already shot, I can't concentrate, my heart is racing, I sweat profusely in my air conditioned house. I wish I was dead all the time, can't commit suicide because I'm my mom's only living relative. But I feel dead already.

by Anonymousreply 15506/02/2012

Don't go to Berlin. You're going to be hurt, and you already know it.

by Anonymousreply 15606/02/2012

Don't do that to your mom, r152. She needs you. Are you afraid physically? Or just for your job/career?

It sounds to me like you've already taken steps to CYA which was very smart on your part. I would advise you to keep two separate hard copies of everything. One in a very safe place.

I have a feeling you already know what to do. You just want someone to confirm it.

Get outta there. It's not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 15706/02/2012

R152- Have you checked in with your doctor about what you're experiencing? Are you working with a therapist? Your Seraquel prescription makes me curious about the mental health issues you may be experiencing and whether the current feelings may be related to your underlying symptoms.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

by Anonymousreply 15806/02/2012

The Seraquel was prescribed for bipolar disorder in 2004, I don't really think I am/was bipolar. A series of life changes made me unstable, I wish I had never started taking it. I am now down to 150 mg per day at bedtime, I was up to 300 mg.

That's the most difficult aspect of my situation, people think it's paranoia and I swear it's not. For instance, my ex-boss sent me an email with the newspaper photo of the insider's wedding, 8 months after the fact. No written message, just the photo. We hadn't talked about the wedding, there was no reason to send it to me without any message.

Another example of her deviousness, all in writing: she told a colleague of mine (who she desperately wanted to fire) to reorganize her project, then took the project away from her and gave it to me under the guise of "she doesn't even know how to organize aproject." That's when I first started working in my office five years ago. She's very manipulative, she's a "girl girl" gone to seed.

by Anonymousreply 15906/02/2012

Wow. I was just thinking about this thread. lol

152 (I'm going to be straight forward with you)

A few months ago I was going though the same thing as you are. My manager went on a power trip and it was just devastating emotionally. They did everything to practically make my life a living hell.

One day I just got so tired of feeling the "victim" I went to a higher authority within the company. I told them I didn't feel safe working in such a "hostile" environment and that if I had to seek legal action to stop the "harassment" I would do so.

I'm telling you this because I think the thought of suing their asses has crossed your mind. And you would be well within your right to do so.

I do feel like you have fallen a bit into a "victims" mode. I really do advise you to remove yourself from that mindset (I know it's hard being in a situation like this) but you won't gain nothing from thinking that everyone is out there to get you.

This is the part were you hate me, but get a fucking backbone already! You haven't come this far only to get bitch-slapped by some hussy!

There is some lesson for you to learn here. It's more internal than anything that's going on in the outside world I feel. Like this is a lesson that has come up in your life before, but somehow it has been set aside. I think this is why this time around it has come in such a way that there is no way around it.

You'll come out a stronger(and wiser) person out of this. Understand this, sometime from now this will all be a distant memory. One experience of many that you will have in your lifetime. Yes some are bittersweet, but not everything is a loss. There is something for you to gain here. Faith. Faith in your abilities and strengths. Understand that you're quite capable of solving any problem that comes your way. Don't forget your confidence!It has always been there with you ever since you were born.

If you're dissatisfied with your job to the point that it's affecting your well being, then maybe it's time to start looking for a new one. This would be my advise to you. Being around so much negativity can't be healthy for anyone. There is nothing wrong with looking for other places to work.

Have you ever done yoga or meditation? I think you could benefit from it. It could help you get rid of some of the stress bottled up inside of you.

by Anonymousreply 16006/03/2012

DL Psychics: am I having a boy or girl?

by Anonymousreply 16106/03/2012

My father tragically committed suicide 10 days ago. The flood of emotion is never ending. DL psychics, please give me some thing to stop this pain.

by Anonymousreply 16206/03/2012

Damn, r162.

I'm very sorry to hear that.

Hopefully r12 or another person will be able to give some words of advice. All I can say is that I'm sorry and send you a hug.

by Anonymousreply 16306/03/2012

I`m at a really confusing hopeless time in my life and if anyone could tell me maybe which way to go I would be forever grateful.

by Anonymousreply 16406/04/2012

Kick

by Anonymousreply 16507/17/2012

by Anonymousreply 16607/18/2012

More interesting than bieber and glee

by Anonymousreply 16707/18/2012

How should I spend my year-long sabbatical?

Should I go to Santa Fe? Atlanta? Berlin? Philadelphia?

Should I write a novel?

Should I write a monologue and perform it?

Should I write a non-fiction book?

Should I give up my teaching career and leave NYC and to live in LA and be (happily) plastic?

Will my mother die soon?

by Anonymousreply 16807/18/2012

R168, you shouldn't write anything. And, if you need to travel, preferably go somewhere you don't know the language.

by Anonymousreply 16907/18/2012

R12: In April, I read your post and started doing this: "At least once every week, or month if your schedule is to hectic, set twenty minutes for meditation/prayer/whateveryoucallit and think about all the people you care about. Envision them smiling, happy, and healthy. Give them all your good intentions, all your kidness, and all your love. That is pretty much the best gift your could possibly give them."

Thanks

by Anonymousreply 17007/18/2012

r169, are you kidding?

Don't tease me.

by Anonymousreply 17107/18/2012

No, I'm not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 17207/18/2012

r172, you're just being mean. You're not a psychic! You're just a snarky beast. Don't think I'm fooled by you. . .

by Anonymousreply 17307/18/2012

You're a lousy writer. You should do something other thsn write.

by Anonymousreply 17407/18/2012

Should a tranny shaman be called sheman?

by Anonymousreply 17507/18/2012

I've been called a Shaman but I've never read the definition of what it is so I'll take them at their word.

I've participated in another thread a while ago so here goes. Sorry if it's a repeat to others.

I mostly have flashes. Little brief flashes of the future or something that needs attention. This is occurs about 95% of the time with family members and only family members. A lot of times they're just inane little flashes. Like "your going to get a phone call from so and so who you haven't heard from in years". And some are more serious.

The "flashes" for lack of a better word regarding strangers are always very dark and disturbing. Most of the time I can't pin them down or completely understand what they are all about. I can be in a grocery store or something will come, very dark, but how could you pin something like that down? So I tend to just ignore it or push it away.

I can find old houses or buildings very comforting as if I have a connection, or very disturbing by, again for lack of a better word, the "flow" in the building. I've been in older buildings were some things have spoken to me. It's overwhelmingly clear they don't mean you any good so I've learned to ignore them.

As I've gotten older I've only learned to control it one way and that is to shut it off or make it less frequent. It happened a lot more when I was younger. It seems to be a lot more stronger presence in my life in the Autumn/Winter time, November being the strongest month. I've always wondered why that is. I've plotted the occurrences before and it's almost nonexistent in June, July, and August.

It runs in my family on my mother's side. I don't discuss this with anyone but family and one friend. I would never bring it up with anyone. In fact it is almost a taboo subject even in the family. It's something we take for granted but really never discuss.

Well that's my experience.

by Anonymousreply 17607/18/2012

Well I should have read the thread first. I guess as a white person I can't be a shaman LOL. I'll have to find a different word.

by Anonymousreply 17707/18/2012

R176, so if you have a flash about somebody can you warn them of impending danger?

by Anonymousreply 17807/18/2012

Trying to learn how to do tarot reading, astrology, and psychic reading.

Can anyone recommend a program or a book or anything that helped them to learn.

by Anonymousreply 17908/16/2012

Wow. Thank you R79! I appreciate your kind words. You sound like a Love too! I've noticed that the skeptics flock to strings like this, but so do the spiritual types who have more of an open mind. (I believe to be a true skeptic you have to take into account both sides -- cognitive dissonance, the ability to hold two opposing thoughts in your head without judging either one.) More power to you!

by Anonymousreply 18108/21/2012

If you were blind, would you want to live somewhere really noisy or really quiet?

by Anonymousreply 18208/25/2012

For the moron

by Anonymousreply 18409/22/2012

bump bump

by Anonymousreply 18511/13/2012

I need a new job. Where should I look, psychics?

by Anonymousreply 18611/13/2012

I think a job with a company based in Illinois.

by Anonymousreply 18711/13/2012

What should I write?

by Anonymousreply 18811/13/2012

Should I go back to Spain?

by Anonymousreply 18911/13/2012

R176...you sound like you have fairly strong psychic ability. My partner is a medium and it also ran in his family. It is more common than you think and I hope you do good with it. Love to all on this thread who struggle with this.

by Anonymousreply 19011/13/2012

i want to win the lottery, not out of my own selfishness, but i want to help out my family as well (we could really use the money). What can I do to win the lottery? Is it only based on good luck? How can I get the good luck? Or what kind of energy can I exude to attract the winning ticket?

by Anonymousreply 19111/13/2012

Ha! At least my prediction about Obama came true! :P

Where's my million dollars?!

by Anonymousreply 19211/14/2012

R12 please read me

by Anonymousreply 19312/09/2012

Aww R191 let me give you a hug you big baby. ;)

I feel like being paternal to you. lol Don't ask me why, I don't know.

It's also alright to say "I want to win the lottery so I can spend all the money I want." It's not about selfishness, not at all, you should think about yourself."

I feel like it's not about the lottery, but having the right attitude. If you focus your energies in all the shortcoming in your life, then that's the energy you'll carry with you. If you ask me? When you feel poor, then that's what you'll attract. Poverty.

If you are in a rough spot, aspire to be in a better place. Trust that you have natural magic/smarts/resources/intuition/belief/determination that will guide you and take you to a better place.

Also, it's good that you have your family and love ones in mind, but also remember that we all have our own path to walk. Keep them in your mind and prayers, but don't burden yourself sick thinking you MUST turn everyone's life around. You won't be able to help them, you'll just acquire a new burden.

Tonight after taking a long shower go to bed and just let your mind wonder. Don't force yourself to come up with thoughts just let your mind wonder. Sooner or later an idea will sprout and you'll have something to work with. Did you all of the sudden think of a place to ask for a job application, or came up with a plan to make things easier at work? Maybe you can't do much about your love ones at this time, but maybe tomorrow you'll wake up and hug them and tell them you love them and make them feel a bit better. Lifting someone's spirits is a form of help as well.

Let's talk about the lottery then...

Meditate and let your mind form numbers, words, or pictures. If you come up with something that inspires you to play lottery, by all means go ahead and buy yourself a ticket. There is nothing wrong with having a little dream.

by Anonymousreply 19402/23/2013

i'm the 2nd type of Shaman, email me plz kenjix3x@yahoo

by Anonymousreply 19507/21/2013

Is satan real?

what about those people who believe in voodoo? that shit is real?

I mean I hear some crazy shit like, a women will use her blood (from her monthly) and put it into the food of a man she wishes to control or for him to love her, etc.

I hear stuff like that exists. it's scary.

by Anonymousreply 19607/21/2013

R9 : the names for these are charismatic shamanism for the first type: inherited shamanism for the second and third types.

by Anonymousreply 19707/21/2013

Yes r196, satan really is real.

by Anonymousreply 19807/21/2013

2nd sightseeing

by Anonymousreply 19907/21/2013

Locus pocus

by Anonymousreply 20007/22/2013

Satan is real and he'sadick.

by Anonymousreply 20108/01/2013

Ha! I find you once again thread!

I'm R12 ...I should be posting this in the 2015 predictions thread, but it always felt more comfortable posting here. Plus some of what I'm going to say is tied with earlier predictions, so it makes sense to post here.

*I read some of the initial posts in this thread, and I do feel like some of us were channeling a very perturbed individual. It was definitely a male and whoever he was he made a lot of harm. :( However, I don't think this man will ever be in a position to harm another person. He's either dead or confined in a form where he would never have interactions with the outside world. Either way, his energy is passing. He is done in this world.

*Someone here won a lot of money.I'll say somewhere around seven(ish) million, just on an emotional level this event has taken every ounce of energy and strength you had.It's a scary change, a HUGE change, but you need to just embrace it. It's a gift from the universe, so take this money and do good things with it!Don't let your insecurities get the best of you. Even if you feel like you don't need this "award", still claim it! Build a school, donate to cancer research, or pay someone's tuition.Accept your award and create great things with it.

I'll be posting more later...

by Anonymousreply 20202/06/2015

I don't know if anyone can help but I'm going to try to explaine this without making myself look like a total nut ball. I've never told anyone about this because it sounds so crazy

When I was a kid I had dreams that had my dad in them. They were a mix of kid dreams and adult ones. My dad and I would be together going thru the dreams. When I told my dad about my dreams he told me he had the exact same dreams. There were times when he would tell me what we had done in his dreams and it was what happened in my dreams. When I was 11 I had a trauma and started to have nightmares. Somehow in this dreams I was doing something like pulling in my dad to my dream to help me. He started getting freaked out about the dreams and I quit talking about them, the dreams never stopped. I didn't have them every night or anything like that but the dreams were all very differant than my other (normal) dreams in a way I can't explain.

When my mom got sick and was dieing her and I began to be in each others dreams. I never told her that we were dreaming the same things because of what happened with my dad, but when she would show up in dreams I'd ask her the next day if she slept well or had dreams and it was always the dream I'd had.

After she died she showed up in my dreams a few times. The last was when I was grieving so hard that my life was starting to fall apart and I couldn't see the grief ever ending because it hurt so bad. That night I dreamed of her talking with me and she said she knew I was hurting and it was so bad because of how much I loved her but my grief was getting to hard for me to carry. She hugged me for a long time and an I felt an enormous peace come over me. I woke up the next morning and the horrible pain of losing her was gone. I still missed her terribly but the pain was completely gone and never came back.

There have been other times when I've shared dreams with people. They'll tell me their dreams and again it was my dream.

Ok anyone know what this dreaming stuff was about? I can see the last dream of my mom being something my mind cooked up to stop the pain, but the dreaming the same dreams is very weird and I've never told anyone about it.

by Anonymousreply 20302/06/2015

No one?

by Anonymousreply 20402/18/2015

it's called astral travel. Your family must all know intuitively how to do it.

by Anonymousreply 20502/18/2015

R203 I relate to what you said. Your mom did come to you. I know my brother did.

by Anonymousreply 20602/18/2015

I'm a sheman.

by Anonymousreply 20702/18/2015

R203

There was definitely telepathy involved. Your parents were thinking about you and you intuitively picked up on it through your dreams. I may have talked about this subject back in 2011. I think my response is on the 1st page of this thread. I'm R12 I think

Your mother coming in your dream was definitely the work of an Angel. I took the liberty of throwing a card from one of my decks and the card "Healing" came up. She came to asure you that "both" of you would be alright. Your mother may have moved on from the physical plane, but it doesn't mean you have lost her forever. So enjoy the ride here because we are all making the same journey. lol

Below I'll leave an illustration of the card that came up for you so that you can "literally" get a better picture of its meaning.

by Anonymousreply 20803/15/2015

R12/R208, can I have a reading? Tonight I'm wearing shirt. I'm not sure why I'm telling you that but it seems like I should.

What about my love life?

I'm going to schedule a job interview this week. I have a feeling I'll get the job. The problem is it would be a lateral move monetarily and I'm not sure I want another office job. The plus side is I'd learn new skills and on my resume it would look better.

Anything else you come up with would be appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 20903/15/2015

I'm wearing a RED shirt.

by Anonymousreply 21003/15/2015

Can you pull a card for me R12? Things have been shit for years in every area of my life. Love, career, relationships, sex, health, family, nothing is remotely good and I struggle with suicidal thoughts a lot. It's just all beyond my control. I know I'm not supposed to commit suicide, and I'm probably too much of a coward, but if life is never going to be good again it just doesn't seem worth it.

I've had two patches of about two or three years where things went really well (at least not miserable) that I can remember, but other than that my entire life has not been great and I pray for God to kill me all the time.

by Anonymousreply 21103/15/2015

Whoopi winning an Oscar for playing a fake psychic is pretty spooky

by Anonymousreply 21203/15/2015

Am I FINALLY going to find a boyfriend? It feels like I'm the last single person I know and I just can't seem to understand why I can't find someone.

by Anonymousreply 21303/15/2015

" 'Mysterious Voice' Led Utah Cops to Discover Child Who Survived For 14 Hours in Submerged Car After Mom Drowned"

by Anonymousreply 21403/15/2015

North/South America-centric

Obama was the best president the American public could have hoped for. After the blind and greedy Bush we needed a mediator. Obama's legacy will be of social change.

Even though it may not seem so at first, the toxic conservatism of the Republican Party is on its last vow. It's like the analogy of the bad guy killed at the end of the movie. It wakes up to spook you, and he may by a second or two, but quickly falls back and dies again. This next 12 months will be that. The Republicans will throw everything and the kitchen sink, but they got nothing. They want to win through fear but it will no longer be effective. Beware of their tactics of "divide and conquer" pitting minority communities against minority communities. It may work in some cases, but people will eventually see the bigger picture.

The Pharmaceutical Industry will see a change as people & private parties will start to crowdfund research and development on a global scale. A lot of small governments will help too. It will bring a revolution in medicine and other fields that will copy that same model . Space exploration and archaeology will benefit from similar projects.

I see a growing conscience among people of wealth . I see it as them paying their dues. Social change resonates with everyone. Changes like the ones we witnessed this week have the ability to inspire and touch even those who we think already have everything.

The Americas will become more liberal. Unlike some other parts of the world (and I have said this before) where cultures are complete opposites, the Americas are more in harmony with each other. In the next ten years (2016-2026) drugs will be legalize little by little causing the war on drugs and corruption [especially in Latin America] to start fading.

Spain comes back to the Americas and it will cause more changes in the ethnic & social makeup of Latin America.

We will say goodbye to a lot of surviving (but fragile) native communities. : ( I keep thinking of Central America and Southern Mexico.

Definitely more migration from European countries.

It's the century of women. They will rise to the heights that men have always enjoyed. This next four generations are ones where men will take more of a back seat, at least more than usual. The acceptance of non-heterosexual communities will pave the way for women to assume roles where men have always lead. In part because heterosexual males will start losing some of that machismo and pride as they see themselves not always leading.

Bisexuality will be a majority or equal to a majority, especially in males. As gender/social roles change so will the exploration of sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 215Last Saturday at 11:11 PM

Interesting read, r12. I hope you're right.

Any thoughts on a mid-life career change for me?

by Anonymousreply 216Last Saturday at 11:33 PM

Fuck off Davida. Quit bumping your stupid ass threads from 2012 you pathetic attention whore.

by Anonymousreply 217Last Saturday at 11:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.