Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The films of Ridley Scott

Let's have an intelligent discussion. What are your favorites? What did you hate? What gets a bad rap? Should he have won the Oscar for "Gladiator"?

I was looking at his IMDB I was surprised that for such a proflific, well known director - arguably one of the few that the public knows by name - he hasn't made that many classic movies - basically Alien, Blade Runner and Thelma and Louise are his only iconic films. He's also made a lot of forgettable films (A Good Year, Body of Lies, Matchstick Men) and some better-if-forgotten ones (Hannibal, GI Jane, Kingdom of Heaven).

by Anonymousreply 5407/03/2013

Gladiator would have been better if Meg Ryan had been in it.

by Anonymousreply 104/13/2012

Love Thelma & Louise to death (I'm a gay male for what it's worth) but I have a feeling it's his "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" i.e. the odd "women" picture in their director's filmography. I liked Alien and Blade Runner and, as it happens Matchstick Men (the only film where I can stand Cage). Hated Hannibal. Could hardly care less about "Gladiator" either way but definitely not the best of his career.

by Anonymousreply 204/13/2012

His last strong film IMO was BLACK HAWK DOWN.

Other than that, I only like ALIEN (the best of the series still, I think) and THELMA & LOUISE. Never got the love for BLADE RUNNER - the look of the film was impressive, but I found the film rather dreary and dull.

by Anonymousreply 304/13/2012

I never miss his films, even when they are frightenly generic efforts like "Body of Lies" or "American Gangster". His sense of composition is flawless and he always has the best casts involved. Personally, I really enjoyed not only the classics like "Alien" and "Blade Runner", but I also have a soft spot for "Legend" and "Black Hawk Down".

by Anonymousreply 404/13/2012

I liked Kingdom of Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 504/13/2012

Blade Runner. My favorite movie

by Anonymousreply 604/13/2012

This thread is useless without a picture of Ryan Phillippe's ass in the air in soaking wet tighty-whities in White Squall.

by Anonymousreply 704/13/2012

"Blade Runner" and then "Alien." They're both in my top ten of all time, so Scott is also one of my favorite directors.

by Anonymousreply 804/13/2012

Having either a Blade Runner, Thelma and Louise, or the Alien franchise is an accomplishment. All three is a fabulous career.

by Anonymousreply 904/13/2012

Kingdom Of Heaven, directors cut!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1004/13/2012

Gladiator is my favorite. Love it and watch it everytime it's on.

by Anonymousreply 1104/13/2012

Alien and Gladiator are in my top 6 movies. Blade Runner is good, but I didn't get the hype. I'd put it in my top 20.

Thelma and Louise is for the lesbians so I bow out of that one.

I have Kingdom of Heaven and will have to watch it again. Apparently for me it was forgettable.

The rest, meh.

I'd like to thank R7 for showing me a pic of old man ass in granny bloomers. *SLAP*

by Anonymousreply 1204/13/2012

'Kingdom of Heaven' is a decent film, and Orlando Bloom does okay in the central role, despite the desire of some queens on DL to pretend otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 1304/13/2012

A personal favorite is The Duellists, even if the casting is a bit off-kilter. Alien and Thelma & Louise are masterful films; parts of Gladiator and Black Hawk Down are damn close. Never got the love for Blade Runner.

by Anonymousreply 1404/13/2012

'White Squall' cast in war paint

by Anonymousreply 1504/13/2012

Ryan P. & Scott W., 'White Squall'

by Anonymousreply 1604/13/2012

Another photo of the 'White Squall' twinks

by Anonymousreply 1704/13/2012

R2 Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore was directed by Martin Scorsese.

Alien has to be my favorite. Love Thelma and Louise. My guilty choice: I kinda liked Hannibal - It's was way over-the-top but fun.

Looking forward to Prometheus.

by Anonymousreply 1804/13/2012

I am very eager to see that Columbus film 1492: Conquest of Paradise.

So many of his films - even Legend - have re-emerged on updated dvd director cuts, but not that one. Sigourney Weaver always said they were sure they were making a masterpiece and were shocked by the reviews.

by Anonymousreply 1904/13/2012

[quote][R2] Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore was directed by Martin Scorsese.

What R2 meant is: "Thelma&Louise" is for Scott what "Alice doesn't live here anymore" is for Scorsese.

by Anonymousreply 2004/13/2012

His movies always look fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 2104/13/2012

[italic]Kingdom of Heaven[/italic] used siege machines in the battle scenes. I had heard descriptions of battle equipment for storming castles but I didn't get how it worked until I saw the movie. Orlando Bloom doesn't really have the charisma to carry the main role in something like that, but the supporting actors were good, especially the always excellent Brendan Gleeson.

by Anonymousreply 2204/13/2012

someone to watch over me is fabulous. forgotten little gem.

by Anonymousreply 2304/14/2012

R10, I thought he had final cut at that point?

by Anonymousreply 2404/14/2012

Oh and Black Rain. LOVE that movie.

by Anonymousreply 2504/14/2012

[quote] His last strong film IMO was BLACK HAWK DOWN

There are some of us who might say it was all downhill after The Duellists - simply an astounding debut film. Mining the same territory as Barry Lyndon, but even more beautiful, less self-conscious, and with at least some degree of dramatic tension.

And per R14, let's just say the casting is... eccentric. But what a cast!

by Anonymousreply 2604/14/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 2704/15/2012

[quote]There are some of us who might say it was all downhill after The Duellists - simply an astounding debut film.

Don't be pretentious. Yes, the Duellists is a great film (many of us has seen it too), but Scott has excelled in different genres; it would be unfair to dismiss that quality he has as a director.

by Anonymousreply 2804/15/2012

Absolutely love Thelma and Luise and Alien, also Legend.

He is pretty hit or miss. I couldn't stand Gladiator, not to mention The Good Year. Robin Hood was no masterpiece either. Basically he needs to stop making movies with Russel Crowe and I need to stop watching them.

by Anonymousreply 2904/15/2012

What about 'Blade Runner' ?

by Anonymousreply 3004/15/2012

I tend to agree with R3 on Blade Runner, but I'm not sure. Maybe I was just too tired when I watched it and should give it a second chance.

by Anonymousreply 3104/15/2012

Legend always gets a bad rap. It's a visually stunning film.

by Anonymousreply 3204/15/2012

If you're in the Dallas area, The Magnolia theater is having a Ridley Scott special in the lead-up to the release of "Prometheus"; already scheduled are "Legend" (5/22) and "Thelma & Louise" (5/29), with "Blade Runner" and "Alien" in the pipeline (they're hoping to show "Alien" the Tuesday before "Prometheus" opens).

(Also, before that, they're showing "Dr. No" (4/24), "Manhattan" (5/1), "Midnight Cowboy" (5/8) and "West Side Story" (5/15).)

by Anonymousreply 3304/17/2012

Agree, [R10], the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven is vastly superior to the cinema version. It allows it the grandeur it deserves. Even if Orlando Bloom still underwhelms.

by Anonymousreply 3404/17/2012

"Like the man he portrays, Bloom definitely carries his weight."

Leonard Maltin's review of 'Kingdom of Heaven'

by Anonymousreply 3504/18/2012

I couldnt watch much of Kingdom of Heaven, it was CGI's to death, as was Gladiator - no depth or substance at all, unlike those "real" epics of the 50s and 60s.

The Duellists was terrific as was Alien, but he is not really a director of substance and is only as good as his material, he has a good eye for images based on his advertising past. He is not a John Boorman or Richard Lester or a Losey or a Schlesinger.

by Anonymousreply 3604/18/2012

I remeber thinking when I saw Black Rain when it came that Kate Capshaw was miscast. She probably got the part through her Hollywood connections.

by Anonymousreply 3704/18/2012

Both 1492 and Legend are spectacular accomplishments. However, both could have used better scripts. Alien still stands as one of the scariest films ever made. If you have an attention span, that is.

by Anonymousreply 3804/18/2012

OP, I know I will be there on several days.

Hopefully you will enjoy some of these films as well.

by Anonymousreply 3904/26/2012

The Duelists: Solid if uninteresting.

Alien: Masterpiece, one of the greatest movies ever made. All of Scott's positives and none of his negatives.

Blade Runner: Still gets by as a classic despite being pretty flawed. The script and story are a mess, definitely some lost potential.

Legend: Interesting failure, far from terrible, but ultimately not good. Last thing worth watching he's done.

The rest: forget about it.

by Anonymousreply 4007/03/2013

One more rating while I'm at it:

Prometheus: A complete abomination. By far one of the worst movies ever made, no redeeming factors to it.

Ridley Scott was a great talent who sold out.

by Anonymousreply 4107/03/2013

Prometheus = POS. So disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 4207/03/2013

Prometheus wasn't that bad... the dialogue was laughable and Charlize Theron was completely off her game ; they should have cast a big name for the make dr, Moni rapair was annoying and unlikeable .... So yeah I guess it was pretty bad never mind

by Anonymousreply 4307/03/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 4407/03/2013

Worst movie: Prometheus by a million miles. Horrible script, plotting, dialog, acting (except from Michael Fassbender, who did an excellent job with the crap he was given)... worst characters, plot, etc.

It was beautiful, even gorgeous to look at, but insultingly stupid and awful.

"Prometheus" is to Alien, as "The Phantom Menace" is to the original Star Wars.

Legend isn't good, but I'm hard-pressed to explain WHY it fails. Still, it's a distant (way distant) second to the failure of Prometheus.

Alien, Thelma & Louise, White Squall, Gladiator, and Black Hawk Down are his best, imho.

The rest are lost in a sea of "good enough I guess, but ultimately not that memorable".

I think his record proves him to be rather wildly uneven.

by Anonymousreply 4507/03/2013

Prometheus in 15 Minutes. Way better than the film.

by Anonymousreply 4607/03/2013

I disagree that Prometheus looked good. No artistic value whatsoever. None of the moody grittiness of Alien. Just slick, facile, artificial, generic, and cliched. Scott's commercial background sucks all of the soul from most of his movies(after the first batch of good ones where it was an asset).

Prometheus is a horribly unimaginative looking movie with bad cinematography, typical of modern movies. Cinematography is in the pits these day. Just because it's slick and professional doesn't mean it's good. Scott hasn't made a good movie in 30 years, someone needs to stop him(and the rest of Hollywood while they're at it).

by Anonymousreply 4707/03/2013

Scott is planning on ruining Blade Runner too with a sequel. And his girlfriend is hideous too.

by Anonymousreply 4807/03/2013

GLADIATOR isn't an iconic film and a beloved classic?

Whatchoo smokin,' OP?

LEGEND is an iconic, beloved classic to my generation as well. So is BLADERUNNER, and it always will be for the visuals alone.

by Anonymousreply 4907/03/2013

Blade Runner has good music, too.

Gladiator is a big mainstream nothing if you ask me.

Legend was his last gasp before he decided to go totally mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 5007/03/2013

Um, 'Excalibur' anyone?

by Anonymousreply 5107/03/2013

His top movies have been mentioned and I agree with many of you. Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator - all are in the canon for good reason.

However, I'm also fascinated with his many failures. I loved Someone To Watch Over Me with Lorraine Bracco and Tom Berenger as a kid. It was on cable all the time and I remember fantasizing as a little homo about being protected by a hot cop.

And I think Hannibal had moments of pure brilliance, cinematically.

I still listen to the Legend soundtrack and rewatch the dance scene over and over. It is so beautiful and somewhat chilling. Legend also has really crazy stuff going on in the background in certain scenes if you look closely.

The Duellists is exquisitely shot. It almost consumes you.

And GI Jane is actually really entertaining with an almost unhinged Demi Moore chewing up the scenery. "Suck my dick!"

He is a brilliant gun for hire. But there is a coldness to his style. I still think Thelma and Louise is the only movie of his that had any true, effective emotional resonance to it. A total anomaly.

Anyway. I think overall his films are fascinating, as is his prodigious output. I look at him as a latter day Michael Curtiz or Raoul Walsh.

by Anonymousreply 5207/03/2013

The problem and the reason why his work seems cold is that it looks and feels too much like a fancy commercial for a product(surprise surprise). And he really doesn't seem to care much about story at all. Bad judge of scripts. The only time this wasn't a problem was in Alien, which felt very natural.

Some of the acting in Blade Runner is just weird and corny, including Rutger Hauer's overrated performance to some extent. I think that Scott is to blame mostly and didn't directed the actors much.

by Anonymousreply 5307/03/2013

Prometheus amounts to being a major human rights violation if you ask me. Ridley knows he is just a hack making trash, drop the pretense Ridley.

by Anonymousreply 5407/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.