Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Let's talk about Yale

It really is the current hot Ivy. Is Harvard worried? What do the UVA grads think about this?

by Anonymousreply 6410/07/2012

We will take back New Haven and execute the oppressors! Mostly Yale Graduates!

by Anonymousreply 104/13/2012

Yale: School of choice for the Manhattan private school crowd.

Harvard: School of choice for New England boarding schoolers.

Princeton: School of choice for wealthy Middle Atlantic suburbanites.

Brown: School of choice for the angry stoner pre-lesbian who kills at slam poetry.

Dartmouth: School of choice for spoiled, bratty Young Republicans of America assholes.

Penn: School of choice for teenagers who masturbate to forbes and think bernie madoff's only crime was getting caught.

Columbia: School of choice for when you really wanted to go to NYU's Tisch School, but needed to appease your parents' desire for pseudo- Ivy League pedigree.

Cornell: School of choice for no one. Takes disappointed kids toting seven rejection letters and places them in a remote, gray location with lots of high bridges.

by Anonymousreply 204/13/2012

What? Do the UVA grads think about this?

by Anonymousreply 304/13/2012

Cornell is also in a curious penumbra 'twixt public and private status.

by Anonymousreply 404/13/2012

I meant Cornell. Did I say Columbia?

by Anonymousreply 504/13/2012

[quote]Dartmouth: School of choice for spoiled, bratty Young Republicans of America assholes.

I always wondered how the actress who played Kelly Kapoor ended up there.

by Anonymousreply 604/13/2012

No, R5, you said "Cornell." How is it that I know that and you don't?

R3, Columbia is not "pseudo-Ivy," it is Ivy. That's ALL it is. And that is all Ivy is. I speak as an alumnus, but of Penn (while Franklin was still there, as it happens).

by Anonymousreply 704/13/2012

I want to blow and swallow R2. What are you packing r2? A mouthful?

by Anonymousreply 804/13/2012

Harvard: $32 Billion.

Yale: $19 Billion.

UVA: $5 Billion.

Harvard is not worried.

by Anonymousreply 904/13/2012

Harvard's endowment is in risky derivatives. Don't count its always being there.

by Anonymousreply 1004/13/2012

Harvard ranks around 4th among the Ivies in alumni giving.

by Anonymousreply 1104/13/2012

So I think we can conclude that Harvard is not necessarily the wealth generator the unwashed masses imagine it to be.

by Anonymousreply 1204/13/2012

A Harvard Grad, a Yale Grad and a UVA grad walk into a gay bar. Which one has the biggest cock?

by Anonymousreply 1304/13/2012

Harvard has always regarded Yale and Princeton as peer schools, all teasing aside. I don't think any of the three is particularly worried about the others. Harvard has the larger graduate schools and more of an international reputation so it gets more media attention. It has the advantage of a fabulous location vs. Yale's inner city and Princeton's suburbia so people with a choice choose Harvard most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 1404/13/2012

We's saving ourselves for Yale!

by Anonymousreply 1504/13/2012

R13, it's a trick question, and the answer is none, Morehouse College, right?

by Anonymousreply 1604/13/2012

What makes Yale "hot"? Hasn't there always been tons of prospective students beating down the doors to get in? Aren't the Ivies, especially Harvard and Yale, always hot?

by Anonymousreply 1704/13/2012

New Haven is not a slum, children.

by Anonymousreply 1804/13/2012

What's with all the snooty Ivy League threads lately? Let's start a new one for the rest of us, like what is the best community college in the nation or is Devry better than University of Phoenix.

by Anonymousreply 1904/13/2012

Yale doesn't impress me. When I moved to central Connecticut several decades ago, about 25 miles from New Haven, I met more than a few Yale grads. They always let you know within five minutes that they had been to Yale and none of them were all that bright or competent.

by Anonymousreply 2004/13/2012

George W. Bush went to Yale, absolute proof that admission is no guarantee of intellectual adequacy.

by Anonymousreply 2104/13/2012

re: r9...

Why is Harvard's endowment so much huger than Yale's? Doesn't seem like Yale's pool of alumni would be any less rich than Harvard's. What's Harvard's secret?

by Anonymousreply 2204/13/2012

It's older. Yale and Stanford have similar returns on their endowment but got a later start.

by Anonymousreply 2304/13/2012

Sorry r2, but Brown is for rich kids who want an "ivy league" but don't have the brains for it.

by Anonymousreply 2404/13/2012

Where's Juilliard bitches?

by Anonymousreply 2504/13/2012

R23--I doubt the extra few decades back in the 17th century when both schools trained ministers are what makes Harvard richer. Harvard has more wealth because of better management, more valuable real estate holdings and much larger graduate schools.

by Anonymousreply 2604/13/2012

The reference to UVA reminds me of that silly erstwhile troll who used to post here.

Apparently, he went to UVA and inserted references UVA in threads in which it was wildly inappropriate, such as one discussing the Ivy League or, really, any top-notch school.

by Anonymousreply 2804/13/2012

Harvard may have had a head start in endowment in the 1970s, but it was not because Harvard was older.

by Anonymousreply 2904/13/2012

You're not really looking at endowment properly when you reduce it to "whose is the biggest?" A better indicator is: "whose endowment is the biggest... relative to the size of the school."

Harvard is much, much larger than Yale or Princeton and it is for THAT reason that it needs / should have a larger endowment, not because of its slightly longer existence. Yale and Princeton both have higher endowments per student than Harvard. And for all three, the endowment per student is enormous. They are all financially extraordinarily healthy.

Of course, it also matters what is in the endowment. Is it cash, or is it land in Mongolia to be passed into the endowment in fifteen years? A lot of what is in an endowment is extremely difficult to value: anything from real estate to art to derivatives to patents, etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 3104/13/2012

Aight, I understand from the Yale alumni magazine that New Haven has experienced a real renaissance. It really WAS a pit when I was there. I considered myself lucky NOT to have been mugged while I was there. My college bf was mugged, twice.

Can anyone corroborate, has it improved?

by Anonymousreply 3204/13/2012

Columbia seems like a great place to go to school. Is it? Great education in NYC. What sorts of people go there? I mean, what's the specific attraction for those who choose it other than that it's an Ivy. What are the renowned departments?

by Anonymousreply 3304/13/2012

Everyone I know who went to Brown is just wonderful. Very social and giving.

by Anonymousreply 3404/14/2012

Is it true that getting into an Ivy is the hardest part and staying in doesn't take a hell of a lot of effort?

—Love, Swarthmore, aka Sweat more, and the University of Chicago, Where Fun Goes to Die

by Anonymousreply 3504/14/2012

Um no R31, no it isn't. Princeton is smaller but Yale is very comparable.

by Anonymousreply 3604/14/2012

R20, that's funny. I work at a federal agency and just started working online with a guy from another office. He's a bit of a doofus, but made sure the other day that I got an email from his Yale email account. I was not impressed.

by Anonymousreply 3704/14/2012

misshelenbedd's phd is from columbia.

by Anonymousreply 3804/14/2012

Yale, home of the Skull and Bones secret society.

by Anonymousreply 3904/14/2012

Let's compare each of the ivy's locations. Which is best? Cambridge?

by Anonymousreply 4004/14/2012

Yale is for all the rejects who didn't get accepted into Harvard!

by Anonymousreply 4104/16/2012

r32 New haven has great dining & ok shopping/theater but it's still edgy crimewise - good luck walking in the peripheral streets by yourself.

by Anonymousreply 4204/16/2012

Columbia is just a subway ride from everything fun.

by Anonymousreply 4304/16/2012

Cordelia Chase went to Harvard??

by Anonymousreply 4404/17/2012

R44, no, she didn't, but that was her retort against Willow when she learned that Willow had been accepted into Yale, accept Willow was also accepted into Harvard as well.

by Anonymousreply 4504/26/2012

The art of social climbing and subtle snobbery is very much alive in Princeton. Whereas Columbia and Yale are favored by many artsy gays from affluent homes. At Columbia, these gays usually form the formidably fast Pretty and Privileged set. Dartmouth is all about hot crazy frat boys and their work-hard-party-harder attitude.

by Anonymousreply 4610/04/2012

r21 Anderson Cooper also went to Yale, more proof that you do not need to be smart to go there. The only reason Anderson was accepted to Yale is because he's a Vanderbilt.

by Anonymousreply 4710/04/2012

Yale's art museums are free and open to the public while Harvard with a bigger endowment charges the public to gain entrance to their art galleries. So Yale can say that they offer better opportunities for the community at large. Also Yale is one of the largest if not the largest employer of people in the New Haven area. Harvard is far from the largest employer in Cambridge, MA where most are employed in bio-research and medicine. Nearly all of the new construction projects around New Haven are connected with the University. Yale's architecture dept also partners with Habitat for Humanity to build a student designed and constructed home for needy families every year. Harvard's architecture dept remains ensconced in their ivory tower spouting theory.

by Anonymousreply 4810/04/2012

New Haven is trying, but still has a long, long way to go to overcome urban blight and decay. I have a friend who is a physician affiliated with Yale New Haven Hospital. She's in and out of the hospital at all hours of the night. A police officer told her not to stay stopped at red lights very late at night/early in the morning. Stop, make sure no one is coming, and go. She was too much of a target to be carjacked, robbed, raped, abducted, etc.

by Anonymousreply 4910/04/2012

Love R2's Cornell summary.

by Anonymousreply 5010/04/2012

Ah, the old DL chestnut: let's take an elite school and shit all over it! Usually it's Duke or UVA that gets this treatment (see R28), but hell, why not Yale this time? Reality: Yale is the most elite of a very elite crowd, if only because it's the most difficult to enter. Yale Law is the undisputed world-leader law school. New Haven is no Cambridge or Princeton, but it's certainly not the crime-ridden shithole it was 20 years ago.

Still, Princeton or UVA wins for prettiest campus, and social life at Yale pales in comparison to Columbia or NYU, for obvious reasons, or to UVA, recently picked by "Playboy" as the top party school in the country. (Yes, really.) OTOH Dartmouth is still a partying institution, and Princeton's eating clubs are legendary. Stanford, however, remains the ne plus ultra if you want a career in technology, Mark Zuckerberg aside (he quit Harvard and moved to Palo Alto for a *reason*, kiddos).

Evaluating a university by endowment size is faulty in the extreme. I mean, please: the University of Texas has the second-largest endowment, and Texas A&M -- alma mater of the utterly embarrassing Rick Perry -- isn't far behind. Even Emory, easily inferior to any Ivy, has a huge endowment.

by Anonymousreply 5110/04/2012

When it comes to Things That Matter, Harvard obsesses about how it compares to Princeton, Stanford and Penn, and sometimes Yale.

by Anonymousreply 5210/04/2012

[quote]Harvard obsesses about how it compares to Princeton, Stanford and Penn

Ha! I can assure you that no one at Harvard gives Penn a second fucking thought. Or even a first one. The *only* two universities at Harvard's level are Stanford and Yale. PERIOD.

by Anonymousreply 5310/04/2012

And she stepped on the ball

by Anonymousreply 5410/04/2012

Switch Penn and Harvard in that sentence, and you've got it right.

by Anonymousreply 5510/04/2012

How can I learn the endowments of various universities?

by Anonymousreply 5610/04/2012

R56, Google is your friend.

by Anonymousreply 5710/04/2012

Not American, so tell me why are all the best US unis situated in the north east?

Are there any good unis in the mid-west or west coast?

by Anonymousreply 5810/04/2012

R58, most of our elite universities are in the Northeast simply because the area was colonized far earlier. Harvard was founded 150 years before America *itself* was founded, for instance (in the 1630s). That said, there are plenty of elite universities outside of the Northeast: Stanford is on the West Coast outside of San Francisco, as are Berkeley (the best public university in the country) and Caltech (#2 technology-focused uni in the U.S.); Northwestern and the University of Chicago are in the Midwest (in Chicago); and Duke and UVA are in the South.

by Anonymousreply 5910/04/2012

They have the history of higher education R58, I mean obviously the country started on the east coast.

And yes, Stanford is equivalent to the elite Ivys and it is on the West Coast.

Schools like University of Chicago and Rice University are elite institutions comparable to the lesser ivies and are not located on either of the coasts.

by Anonymousreply 6010/04/2012

[quote]Schools like University of Chicago and Rice University are elite institutions comparable to the lesser ivies and are not located on either of the coasts.

Rice is NOT comparable to any Ivy. Sorry. I say that as a Houstonian who lives a mile away from the university btw.

by Anonymousreply 6110/04/2012

Yale- One in four maybe more.

The Gay Ivy

by Anonymousreply 6210/04/2012

[quote]Columbia: School of choice for when you really wanted to go to NYU's Tisch School, but needed to appease your parents' desire for pseudo- Ivy League pedigree.

I don't necessarily agree with this, but the wording made me laugh.

School status threads always bring out the claws on DL.

by Anonymousreply 6310/07/2012

I imagine a lot of the competition between the top Ivies is of the "wink wink" variety, all parties knowing that they're elite, no matter the arguments for which school should be at the top.

by Anonymousreply 6410/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!