Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rental Car insurance

I need to rent a car for an extended period of time. The price of car insurance will kill me. Of the ones offered, damage waver, personal accident, supplemental, roadside assist, which can I omit.

And, before someone suggests it, I do not have an AMEX card.

by Anonymousreply 35April 14, 2012 3:22 PM

Rent the car via priceline and get insurance for 11 per day OR call up insurance companies and tell them what period you will be renting the car for and ask them for a bid on that period of time for full coverage.

Just don't get the insurance from the car rental company, the is the rip off.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2012 5:51 PM

OP- I rent cars quite a bit and for an economy size car the LDW (Liability Damage Waiver) is $11.00 per day through Hertz. What company are you renting from?

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2012 5:54 PM

I ma renting through Enterprise. I have a great weekly rate, but the insurance is high.

Damage waiver $8.99 per day

Personal Accident $3.00 per day

Supplemental Liability $12.44 per day

Roadside assist $ 3.99 per day

I got the deal through Hotwire. The also offer an insurance option.

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2012 6:05 PM

R2, when was the last time you rented from Hertz?

I did a two week rental with them last October, and their LDW was $20 per day for a standard car (one notch above economy). I declined.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2012 6:05 PM

The way I see it, you're better off not getting the insurance.

For a 2 week rental, at $20 per day, that's $280.00 you're paying so that you don't have to pay for any damages that YOU cause by your bad driving. How much damage do you think you're going to do?

Before you say "what about break-ins?", I can tell you that broken windows, etc., are already covered by the rental agency's OWN insurance, and you don't have to pay for that.

Before you say "what about damages to the other car?", well the LDW does NOT cover any of that anyway.

So, either decline the insurance, use your own insurance if needed, or buy the full coverage at the agency if you are a bad driver.

The LDW is really stupid, unless you are the type to leave cigarette burns in the upholstery or you have rowdy children playing with food in the back seat, etc. If you're just an average gay couple renting the car, who likely doesn't smoke and is probably on the tidy side of things anyhow...don't bother with insurance.

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2012 6:55 PM

Hi R4, I just rented from them this week. This time I actually paid 11.00 plus $5.95 since I had a more expensive car. But all the other times it was $11.00 per day.

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2012 7:16 PM

I use my American Express or Visa, which ever provides insurance for using their card. It varies by country, but one or the other cards have this benefit. Many who do not travel often, forget to check with their credit card company. In some countries it is wise to confirm with your car insurance company too.

American Express has a onetime charge per rental of 17.95 for up to 30 days coverage, but you have to activate that on you Amex account.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2012 7:21 PM

R5 is wrong.

I rent often and stupid things happen.

Once I was parked and a woman rammed her grocery cart into the car while I was shopping. Left a nice pattern on the paint. I was happy I had the insurance. However I got it via priceline and it was a deal.

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2012 7:23 PM

[quote]And, before someone suggests it, I do not have an AMEX card.

R7's reading comprehension skills should be brought up in the Dumbing Down of America thread.

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2012 7:24 PM

I've been rear-ended in a rental and I was happy to have the insurance.

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2012 7:27 PM

Generally, credit card companies only offer collision. You need to check, because I mistakenly assumed I was getting liability too - for years. It makes me shudder to think what would have happened if I'd hurt someone.

OP, if you have car insurance, ask your agent about a rider for a rental vehicle. It's WAY cheaper than anything the rental agencies can offer. When my dad needed a car for a month, I went through my insurance agent and paid about $50 for liability. I had collision with credit card so I didn't need it, but I'm guessing you could get that too.

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2012 8:34 PM

your regular car insurance is enough, I was always told.....

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2012 8:45 PM

OP, if you can't afford to buy the car rental insurance, then you can't afford to rent the car. Don't try to impress people or live beyond your means. Rent it only for the length of time you can afford.

by Anonymousreply 13April 13, 2012 4:21 AM

[quote]Don't try to impress people or live beyond your means. Rent it only for the length of time you can afford.

Not trying to impress anyone. I am in So. California with two very sick parents and no car. A one week trip ballooned into two,and now it looks as if I must stay until early May.

by Anonymousreply 14April 13, 2012 4:28 AM

Whoops! Sorry OP : c

What you could do is rent the car and use your own car insurance to cover the rental.

by Anonymousreply 15April 13, 2012 4:35 AM

Good luck with Enterprise. They try to claim damage on nearly every rental. A big money maker for them.

by Anonymousreply 16April 13, 2012 2:43 PM

R16, I have never had a problem with Enterprise. Indeed, I have normally had exceptional service.

by Anonymousreply 17April 13, 2012 3:16 PM

R16, Though as a PS, I always get full insurance with them; so, finding damage would be pointless.

by Anonymousreply 18April 13, 2012 3:21 PM

Please clarify: Isn't it perfectly fine, and recommended even, to decline all the add on insurance thingies that the car rental place tries to get you to take, if you have your own car insurance (as we all do)??

by Anonymousreply 19April 13, 2012 3:25 PM

[quote]Good luck with Enterprise. They try to claim damage on nearly every rental. A big money maker for them.

Yup. Never again. There was a crack in the windshield of a car I rented. I didn't notice it until I hit the highway and the sun was glaring. Called them up immediately. They still mad me pay for it (well, a $100 deductible because I was using my own insurance).

by Anonymousreply 20April 13, 2012 3:32 PM

R19, the truth is that I am not that familiar with renting a car. When I have rented, I have taken the full insurance, and it has made my life much easier. However, I usually rent for a weekend, not weeks on end. My partner is checking our policy to see what is and is not covered.

Right now the question is does anyone have any ideas for long term rentals? I probably need to rent by the month. Oddly, it is cheaper to rent by the week at Enterprise than by the month.

by Anonymousreply 21April 13, 2012 4:10 PM

Apologies for not having the name but I was recently renting a car in Florida and overheard two women talking about using some service that provided rental car insurance for $9 a day or something like that. Might be worth a google search or two.

by Anonymousreply 22April 13, 2012 4:25 PM

Why isn't your credit card or your personal auto insurance enought?

by Anonymousreply 23April 13, 2012 4:31 PM

It is! That is my point.

by Anonymousreply 24April 13, 2012 4:34 PM

Just decline the insurance and go without. Your credit card almost certainly provides insurance anyway, that is a fairly standard offering at this point. Besides, if you have no assets, what the hell do you care if someone wants to sue you for nothing?

For what it's worth, I travel a lot and find Southern California to be one of the cheapest places to rent a car. LAX has the best deals. If you put a bid in on priceline I bet you could go in for as little as $8 per day.

by Anonymousreply 25April 13, 2012 4:37 PM

See OP?

Why do you feel compelled to fall for the rental company's pushy sales pitch?

Buying that extra insurance coverage is akin to buying a "service contract" at Best Buy. A waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 26April 13, 2012 6:34 PM

OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 13, 2012 9:23 PM

R25 you should not be advising people to depend on getting their insurance covered on their credit card. If anything happens to that car, it is not covered bumper to bumper. The best thing is to get the full bumper to bumper car rental insurance that covers every single thing. If the insurance is too expensive, then maybe downgrade to an economy car with unlimited mileage to help offset the costs.

by Anonymousreply 28April 14, 2012 1:35 AM

Just take a cab already. You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 29April 14, 2012 2:17 AM

Please. All insurance is a rip-off.

by Anonymousreply 30April 14, 2012 2:30 AM

Op do you own a car? Call your insurance company and ask how to cover a rental. Don't own a car? Call geico for rental car insurance

by Anonymousreply 31April 14, 2012 2:37 AM

I guess I don't understand why there are so many answers.

by Anonymousreply 32April 14, 2012 3:32 AM

[quote]The best thing is to get the full bumper to bumper car rental insurance that covers every single thing.

That would be really stupid, not to mention a ripoff. There are far cheaper alternatives.

by Anonymousreply 33April 14, 2012 3:41 AM

The people who are telling you to buy the insurance from the rental agencies work for the rental agencies or an affiliated insurance company. They get commissions for scaring people into buying a worthless product. The truth, as noted by many multiple legitimate sources if you do a cursory internet search, is that you're likely covered in full by your own insurance. You should absolutely double-check that information and not assume it to be the case, but 9 times out of 10, you only need to buy the insurance from the agency if 1) you are uninsured or 2) you're a dope.

by Anonymousreply 34April 14, 2012 3:42 AM

exactly

by Anonymousreply 35April 14, 2012 3:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!