Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Completely reinventing your body over your late 30s...

Not just some weight loss, but a big weight loss and completely making over your body, over 38, or even over 40.

Is it possible? Of all the body makeovers I see on television or in magazines, including Men's Health, I never see any men (or women) who've made over their bodies.

I don't want information about Weight Watchers or Jenny, etc. etc., I'm talking a complete body makeover, without surgery.

Is it common? Can you do it? I've failed myself.

by Anonymousreply 10103/13/2015

No, it is not common. Yes it can be done but it requires changing everything. Eating, drinking exercising, sleeping. Every aspect of your life will be work.

Is it worth it?

It is if you want to get laid by other hot guys.

by Anonymousreply 104/12/2012

As R1 said, of course it can be done. But it requires tons of motivation and a complete change in how you live your life.

It is worth it if you care about your health. You only have one body, one life. You should make yourself feel the best you can. You'll have more energy, feel happier, be sick less often.

by Anonymousreply 304/12/2012

It is always possible. Don't expect the results to be quick as when you were a teen.

by Anonymousreply 404/12/2012

Yes. You will have to be dedicated enough to workout A LOT.

by Anonymousreply 504/12/2012

Goddamn this makes me hopeful. Kadooz. op!

by Anonymousreply 604/12/2012

I'm thinking of taking two weeks off from work to jump start myself, but don't have a plan yet. I've considered this for two years, I think I'm ready but it's a mountain I'm not sure I'll be able to climb. If I can't do it, I suppose I'll give up on it all but, we'll see.

Would appreciate any first hand experiences from anyone.

by Anonymousreply 804/12/2012

1200 calories/day, OP.

It works.

by Anonymousreply 904/12/2012

Its not impossible. I am 47 and I have a very thick and beefy body, thick legs, big ass, etc. Always have been muscular and worked out a lot, but with that kind of body comes the thick waist that you just cant get rid of..I used to play rugby so that thick body always helped(doesnt help that I love my beer and my food and Im not going to give that up.)

This last year I changed my workout a bit just to see what it would produce...started eating a lot more protein (shakes, etc) and upped the cardio (Which I freakin hate.)I also found in the past the more cardio I would loose muscle mass and get "skinnier," but my gut stayed the same. The thing that really changed my body is when I started doing high intensity cardio (short bursts of speed, longer period of down, cycle it over and over) only two times a week for 20 minutes. Amazing, I didnt loose muscle, but got more"cut," and have started to actually have my abs show (probably for the first time since I was three.)

I know it wont last, (secret is to change the routine up) but what the hell, it is nice to know you can do at this age.

by Anonymousreply 1004/12/2012

In general terms it does take a lot more commitment to physically reinvent yourself in your late 30s and early 40s (and older).

Most importantly drink a lot of water and moistorize. Avoid too much sun exposure. A good physician and trainer will be of great help. Appropiate dress sense (no, you are no longer able to pull off Abercrombie and Fitch wear). Don't underestimate the attraction power of dogs and their owners in parks.

by Anonymousreply 1204/12/2012

Lipo

by Anonymousreply 1304/12/2012

You can do it. If you are dedicated and write your progress down you will see it's not as difficult as you thought. Getting the proper nutrition will actually be your hardest task.

OP, you are taking the wrong approach. You have the idea NOW so you need to start NOW. Whatever excercise you can do now you should. Write it down and appreciate that you started. Tomorrow do a little more. Do your research on work outs and proper diets day by day. Slowly do more and eventually you will be able to handle a full work out and diet regime.

Weighttrainer.net has a couple calculators you can use to see what your natural potential is. Go to the link below for a large resource on training.

by Anonymousreply 1404/12/2012

Oh, poor deluded OP.

Of course it might be possible. But after 35, no one is looking at you anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1504/12/2012

"Most importantly drink a lot of water and moistorize"

LOL.... don't forget the cucumber slices.

by Anonymousreply 1604/12/2012

I know several women (all of them have kids and wanted to get back in shape) who have had great changes to their bodies using the Body for Life system.

I think it's 20 minutes interval cardio three times a week, lifting weights three times a week and eating small portions of protein and carbs every 2-3 hours.

by Anonymousreply 1704/12/2012

According to health magazines and the cosmetic industry there are differences between male and female fitness and beauty regimens.

by Anonymousreply 1804/12/2012

OP, I'm 58, and I have re-invented my body to look 19 - or at least, so I've told countless times.

This is my regime:

I work out 6-7 days a week - 2hrs I drink lots of water I eat very healthy I do not drink liquor or alchohol I do not smoke I use Advanced Wrinkly Repair by Neutrogena I use fake tanner: Medium/Tan "Sublime Bronze" by LO'Real I use SPF 70 everyday - twice a day

This is all I do, and I get confused for 19, or a hot frat guy non-stop. Just last night at the gym for example, this kid asked if I played hockey for a rival high school team. I blushed and said, "Nah, brah. Wasn't me."

Good luck, bro.

by Anonymousreply 2004/12/2012

LOL R20!

by Anonymousreply 2104/12/2012

"I think it's 20 minutes interval cardio three times a week, lifting weights three times a week and eating small portions of protein and carbs every 2-3 hours."

That's the regime I was talking about.. you do the intervals at the very top of your heart rate, and then bring it back down to normal, etc Three times a week is a bit much if you really kick ass when you are doing it, but maybe that's just me. I really haven't changed my diet that much (except for more protein) and still drink like a fish and still it works. I think its hard for people as you don't really loose pounds as much as you tighten up and your clothes fit better and you look good. Some people need the scale to tell them what they want to hear.

by Anonymousreply 2204/12/2012

[quote]Yes I speak from experience, but not in my late 30's my early 30's.

Then you don't speak from experience, since your experience doesn't match the OP's question.

by Anonymousreply 2304/12/2012

Yes, it is at any age, but results may vary.

If you want to do it, find reliable coaching and reliable trainers. Take up at least one active sport that you actually enjoy doing. Use peer reviewed science and university or better quality coaching to guide your training instead of relying the nonsense available on-line. Eat only healthy foods. Enjoy a little wine, not a lot, with meals.

Don't worry about whatever wrinkles that you earned. They aren't going away.

by Anonymousreply 2404/12/2012

I've been thinking about this today and I don't think it's possible for all WOMEN. Men have a better shot of acheiving this than women due to titties, pregnancy etc. U just can't reshape some of that shit.

by Anonymousreply 2504/13/2012

R20, have we met?

by Anonymousreply 2604/13/2012

Found this thread during a Google search and remember it from many months back. Not the OP but hoping someone would have chimed in on OP's question, someone who really reinvented his/her body over the age of 40 without surgery.

Still wondering how possible and easily achievable this might me.

by Anonymousreply 2710/01/2012

OP, lookup Body For Life.

by Anonymousreply 2810/01/2012

Call Dr. Victor Frankenstein

by Anonymousreply 2910/01/2012

Of course you can do it. Our bodies are simple machines, when you break it down. Calories in, calories out. Work out to help with that process as well as to keep your body toned (or muscular if that's what you want). It will take time, discipline, and tons of sweat and a few tears. But do it. Why not?

by Anonymousreply 3010/01/2012

I don'think that the intern that was murdered--Chandra Levy--was a random event by a rapist.

I could be wrong, though. Never jog at night, or in isolated areas. And don't go out running in other countries--some cultures DO regard a single woman running as a rape game.

Overall, I think guys just appreciate athletic women and want to talk with them. It's not an insult if a guy wants to get to know you, the woman jogger.

Anywhoo, the latest news is that jogging is TERRIBLE for women and extremely aging to the face and bones. Women aren't meant to run long distances. Throughout history, women stayed home and tended to the fields and children. They never ran anywhere. women's bodies are built for strength, not for speed.

by Anonymousreply 3110/01/2012

Op, you need to have a goal to reach. Pick a sport to add to your new lifestyle. Say a triathlon/marathon. Then you are changing your lifestyle to excel in that area. Then you will eat and train like a professional athlete. Changes your mindset and once you succeed you will want to do another and another.

It's not to late.

by Anonymousreply 3210/01/2012

Several years ago, a 40-years old woman I worked with lost 80 lbs and went from being a couch potato to a runner/yoga enthusiast. She really didn't start working out until halfway through her weight loss (which took less than a year). She started walking on a treadmill for an hour a day, eventually led up to running.

I saw her recently and her body is completely different from how it used to be. Not just thinner, she has very ropey looking, defined muscles. Her chest bones (ribs?) are sticking out through her skin where her cleavage used to be. Her throat even looks ropey and kind of boney.

I think she's replaced baking and eating with running and doing yoga. She is planning to run the NYC marathon this year.

She's healthy now but I think she looked nicer a bit softer.

by Anonymousreply 3310/01/2012

I did it at age 47, dropping a significant amount of weight by eating right, regular cardio, and weight training. I've struggled a couple of times since to maintain but I'm still doing well today, regularly jogging five miles to work.

The key is to not think of this as a temporary program. The only way to make this work is to think of this as a permanent lifestyle change. With anything you think of trying, if you can't envision yourself doing it for 30 years, just don't do it (e.g., a 1200-calorie diet).

Think small changes rather than large ones; long timeframes rather than short ones.

by Anonymousreply 3410/01/2012

Is R20 just joking or extremely delusional?

by Anonymousreply 3510/01/2012

I waited too long OP. It was always easy to lose 30 or 50 pounds back in the day. But this last years, now that I'm in my fifties, I've struggled all year and still barely lost 20. And this morning I woke up with leathery hands and an age spot on my baby soft face.

by Anonymousreply 3610/01/2012

The diet is more expensive than it was in my 30s. It really doesn't require more time to cook vs. carry-out, but there is more clean-up. Money-wise, the price of lean food has sky rocketed.

It also takes planning. I sometimes have to eat chicken twice in one day just to get it out of the fucking refrigerator. I put my microwave in jail so I wouldn't waste money on frozen food.

In my teens, I went from 210 to 140. Zero definition, btw.

I kept a 140-145 range for ten years. Then I began drinking and ballooned up to 175 which is heavy for a 5'6" guy.

At 34, I began working out and eating my own cooking; I went from 175 to 158. My waist was a real 29 and my suit size was 42 short. I dropped all carbs and people began asking if I was on meth. I didn't give a fuck because I had abs and visible groin veins for the first time in my life.

At 42, I ballooned back to 170 - suburban living and driving everywhere. I decided to try synthetic weed. That lasted about two months. When I stopped, I freaked out and dropped 25 pounds over the course of a month. I did a shitload of cardio and dropped most of the resistance training.

Now, I weigh 167 again. My stumpy legs no longer have the tone they once possessed. I've had to go back to P90. Tony Horton can kiss my hairy hole. My arms are good and the pecs are on their way. My gut isn't bad, but the back and hip fat annoy me.

by Anonymousreply 3710/01/2012

R10 did you actually have loose muscle mass or did you lose muscle mass?

Learn the difference between the two words please.

by Anonymousreply 3810/01/2012

The Body for Life guy got his body from steroids.

by Anonymousreply 3910/01/2012

From R33:

[quote]I saw her recently and her body is completely different from how it used to be. Not just thinner, she has very ropey looking, defined muscles. Her chest bones (ribs?) are sticking out through her skin where her cleavage used to be. Her throat even looks ropey and kind of boney. I think she's replaced baking and eating with running and doing yoga. She is planning to run the NYC marathon this year. She's healthy now but I think she looked nicer a bit softer.

Not too surprising, because it becomes very difficult to lose weight and keep the right proportion of fat to help make up for the loss of collagen and skin elasticity as we age. And, it is probably harder for women than men. Tricky, but not impossible. And some of that depends on your genetic and environmental factors as well.

I know a woman in her early 60s who exercises daily; she runs and does yoga and pilates. She eats a very healthy diet (lean protein, lots of vegetables and fruit). She never smoked and she doesn't drink more than an occasional glass of wine. And she too has a very "bony" look to her with wrinkles that are more pronounced than they should be for her age.

by Anonymousreply 4010/02/2012

Yes, it's possible. I'm 57 and lost 20 lbs. since May 1. Lots of exxercise and careful eating.

by Anonymousreply 4110/02/2012

I did it at 57....I was about 50 lbs overweight....I went on Weight Watchers...lost it. I always went to the gym but actually lessened my routine because I knew I'd do it and be consistent...my muscles firmed up and I was more cut than I ever was....but now it is still an over 60 body but my weight has been maintained because I haven permanently changed my eating habits.

Muscles are still better than before and I look great for my age. I put a little weight back on because as many friends said I looked gaunt...with 10 lbs my face filled out a little and I look a lot better.

It can be done with dedication...and the results are a healthier you.

by Anonymousreply 4210/02/2012

It shouldn't surprise me but it's kind of shocking what bad attitudes most of you have in regards to your ability to effect change. You can do anything you want. It seems Americans are not only affected by the urge to binge and eat poorly (I guess as comfort for their unsatisfying lives) but have also internalised the idea that it's far too hard to change, be healthy and get fit.

I mean, pretending that your life is over without any possibility of change in your late 30's is ridiculous. You have to accept who you are in terms of body type, your ability to gain or loss weight, etc., but you can absolutely become your best self, the absolute best you can be.

The biggest challenge, aside from all this negative naysaying, is this idea that the only weight loss pursuing is rapid weight loss. That's probably the worst plan to pursue in any circumstance. Why does it have to be so fast? What's the hurry? The way to effect long-lasting change in your life is lay the groundwork, lose weight properly, really change your habits and body composition, as you claim you wish to do. I can't understand why, if that is what you want to accomplish, you're sitting on the fence wondering whether it's a worthwhile pursuit. It's your life, your health, your body. Why wouldn't you want to do it? Every day you exercise and eat right you're better off than you were the day before and that's the only progress that should concern you.

Taking two weeks off work to get started? These changes would be for life, mate. You think you're going to make sufficient progress in two weeks? Get over yourself and realise that isolating this goal is...I don't even understand what you're on about. This is your life, these efforts and activities should be integrated into your daily life. Sounds like you're just trying to make it harder than it ever would be so you can keep talking yourself out of it.

There are several components required here for success: exercise, nutrition that supports your training and your goals, supplemental nutrition (not fat burners and other nonsense), sorting out your digestion which is probably fucked, recovery and getting enough sleep and guidance in the form of a trainer. Don't even focus on the results - focus on doing the work.

Yes, you can change your body but more importantly you can change your health, both physical and mental, and realise that you're capable of so much more than you think. You can build confidence, how you present yourself and how you interact with the world. And yes, all of that will change what you're capable of and what you perceive your future to be. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 4310/02/2012

As others have written, of course it is possible. Up the cardio intensity. Cut the junk food, refined sugars and alcohol out of your diet! And whenever possible...walk.

If you're a couch potato, cut the cable, and go out. Enjoy the great outdoors. Believe me, you're not going to regret having missed an episode of whatever show on your deathbed. You will regret not taking better care of yourself at 40.

by Anonymousreply 4410/02/2012

Is this possible when you're 44? Can you lose 90-100 lbs??

by Anonymousreply 4501/02/2013

Yes!

by Anonymousreply 4601/02/2013

That's interesting, R33. I'm 46 and have 30 pounds to lose. I'm 5'4 and weighed about 120 in my 20s, but my guess is I'm going to need 10 extra pounds to keep my face from looking gaunt. Catherine Deneuve was right, and I'm fine with my butt being a little big. I'm going to try Callanetics, because it tends to make you look a bit thinner than you are, so I can keep a softer look. I'm hoping that and eating low carb with quite a bit of fat will keep me from looking bony. I don't care about being buff or having Madonna ropey arms. I just want to look good.

by Anonymousreply 4701/02/2013

This is inspiring

by Anonymousreply 4801/02/2013

I will be 40 this month. My body has looked bad since 33 and I've tried a lot of things. Four months ago i started interval training and I've seen results and lost 20 pounds, but my body I getting more straight up and down. I want less waist and more ass and I really don't know if it's possible at this point.

by Anonymousreply 4901/02/2013

You can do it through changes in your eating, exercise, and driving habits.

Eating:

Decrease all meal portions by 1/3. Do not eat in front of TV or computer. Give FULL concentration to the food you are eating. Learn to enjoy every single bite of food and don't let your mind wander after you've eaten three or four bites.

Exercise:

Learn to push away from the dining table before reaching for additional food. Walk, but NEVER walk into a fast food restaurant.

Driving:

Never drive your car to a drive-up window that dispenses food.

Using the above rules, I lost 60 lbs. with ease several years ago. After maintaining the weight loss for three years, I donated all my fat clothes. For excercise, I walk, swim, and sometimes jog on the beach to keep in shape.

by Anonymousreply 5001/02/2013

R49, training is not like ordering something off a menu. You need to work every muscle group in order to develop good proportion. Ignoring one muscle group over others does not build a physique.

You want more ass? Do they have watt bikes at your gym or some other proper cycling equipment? Start cycling. You can do 10 or 15 minutes after weight training - great way to end a workout. Or do a full-on interval training of high resistance, high intensity sets of your fastest 500m, then rest for 2 minutes, then another interval, etc. Start with 8 sets, work up to 10 - 12, then back down to 8 sets, just keep the intensity up. If you don't have an ass after that, you're never going to have one. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 5101/02/2013

I was in great shape my whole life until I hit 42, then I put on a ton of weight due to just being lazy. Is it over for me? Can I snap back or have I dug myself a hole?

by Anonymousreply 5201/02/2013

TRX type training is really good too. There are so many things you can do, it's silly/not right to say that you've tried everything. Commit. Work with a trainer for a while, really push yourself. You'll learn so much about your physique and well being and what you can do to further your goals. Even if you only work with someone for 6 - 8 weeks, it's worth it. Someone who can take you through the process of not just effecting change in one body part but activating all of your muscle groups so they work together for optimal strength and form. That's a life changer.

There's so much more to exercise/training than bicep curls and running in place.

by Anonymousreply 5301/02/2013

Yes you cantotally change your body n your forties. Even you ladies can do it as well--so don't give up!

No alcohol + walking + less sugar + weight training + lots and lots of healthy food = gorgeous new you!

Also, water with a little lemon juice in it works wonders.

by Anonymousreply 5401/02/2013

R52, it's never over. Every day you exercise and take better care of yourself is an improvement. Every day you exercise, you're making progress.

by Anonymousreply 5501/02/2013

Hi, yes it is possible and yes there is proof - Tosca Reno. She is the author of the Eat Clean Diet. She went through a nasty divorce after 20 years of marriage. She was over weight, frumpy and unhappy (and nearing 40 at the time). She started dedicating herself and applying herself to lifting weights and eating clean. Within a year she was on a stage competing as a fitness model and she married a wonderful man, Robert Kennedy (creator if Musclemag and Oxygen Magazines).

So yes - it is possible. She is in her 50s now I believe and still competing.

by Anonymousreply 5602/01/2013

It's not impossible. I am 47 and I have a very thick and beefy body, thick legs, big ass, etc. Always have been muscular and worked out a lot, but with that kind of body comes the thick waist that you just can't get rid of... I used to play rugby so that thick body always helped (doesn't help that I love my beer and my food and I'm not going to give that up.)

This last year, it all changed when I read an article about Bears. It was as if a light bulb had gone off over my head...

by Anonymousreply 5702/02/2013

I'm trying right now. I'm 41 and am going to the gym for the first time in my life, albeit with a trainer.

It's only been five weeks, but so far so good. No major change in my body, although I have gained weight. That makes me nervous, but the trainer is fine with it. The good news is that I actually enjoy going. I never thought that was possible.

by Anonymousreply 5802/02/2013

I've been going to the gym for ages and I see the same thing happen over and over again. Tubby middle aged man/woman gets personal trainer. They go at it for a couple of months. Weight starts to drop off. Client looks better. Then they go and fuck it all up and put the weight back on, then come in for a few more random sessions only to never be seen again.

Seriously DON'T get all exited and stop training an eating right just because your pants fit again and you're feeling all fun and sexy. Stay with it for at least 4 months before going on a crazy binge for no more than a weekend.

by Anonymousreply 5903/08/2015

DHEA.

Everyone who's in the know takes it.

by Anonymousreply 6003/08/2015

NO ITS IMPOSSIBLE LIFE ENDS AT 17 UNLESS YOU BUY CENGENICS AND STEROIDS!!!

Totally kidding op, just being the fatalistic queen that populates this site :).

by Anonymousreply 6103/08/2015

I am female, 37, and stand to lose 20 pounds. Well, maybe 15 should suffice. I used to lose easily 3-4 pounds in a week or two with very little effort, back when I was in my twenties. Now I can simply see it would take a huge amoung of effort I'm not willing to make, including probably getting single again. I'm not going to break up with my girlfriend just because I want to lose 15 pounds! So, I'm stuck with being slightly heavier than I wanted.

We'll see how it goes in 10-15 years.

I'm 5'8" and I weigh 155 pounds. I should weigh 140 pounds, at least that's how much I did weigh when I felt good about the way I appeared. Still, my life was a mess and I was unhappier, so I may well stick to being a bit less attractive and having a more mellow existence.

by Anonymousreply 6203/08/2015

I know someone at the gym who did it at 48, he had a goal to be fit at 50.

He worked so hard, weights, pushups, pull ups...I watched him go from struggling to pull himself up the first time to doing sets of 15.

Total transformation.

After his 50th birthday I did not see him for about 3 years and then ran into him on the subway. He was a fat schlub again. He preferred massive food and tv to being in shape it seems.

by Anonymousreply 6303/08/2015

That's the thing, R63, it takes a lot of hard work, and sustained lifestyle that is not necessarily what one wants after 40. I'll probably be heavier for the rest of my life, but I also don't want to be 20 again. In fact, I'm looking forward to 40.

by Anonymousreply 6403/08/2015

I am 54, male. Last summer I decided to make lasting changes to my lifestyle. Better eating habits, gym, and stand up paddle boarding. I started out at 6'1", 190 lbs with body fat of 23%

Today ( just came in from a sunrise paddle boarding ) my weight is 165 with a 9% body fat. I've never felt better, more alive and happier in my life. I feel better than I did in my twenties.

I didn't expect changes over night, but they came very, very rapidly with interval training and weights. I have reduced that to once a week and put on a little more muscle mass as it was keeping me from adding muscle. Instead, my walks with the dog have been longer and more productive and I still paddle about 3 times a week.

I look incredibly different. I feel fucking awesome. My doctor is thrilled. All I wanted was to feel better and have some lasting change come about. I didn't have a time frame, just good changes for life.

I am by no means unique. Anyone can do this. But as has been said many times, take it slow, stick to you healthy changes and make it for life. I have gained so much and sacrificed nothing but some time, and that "time " is now the most cherished part of it. It is much like meditation - it clears my head, my heart and my soul. It is very powerful to have that kind of feeling daily. You'll never want to lose it.

Good luck to everyone wanting to make lasting changes. You can do it, it's not that hard.

by Anonymousreply 6503/08/2015

Very inspiring post, R65. If I may: are you single? Because one of the essential resources for all this is time, and it's something I simply don't have. No doubt, if I were single I would make those changes.

by Anonymousreply 6603/08/2015

No,r66. Partnered for 20 years. I began this by gettin up one hour earlier each day, which I hated but quickly learned to love. It's my time, whether I catch up with things or begin excercizing, its time I cherish. I should add my partner has been wonderfully supportive of my changes.

by Anonymousreply 6703/08/2015

i need some advice, im really concerned. where are the male nurses in the house?

by Anonymousreply 6803/08/2015

Great info, thanks for sharing R65. Having a supportive partner will make all the difference I think.

This has been my major hurdle over the years, but obviously being partnered is what I want, too, so I'll just let it go and keep adding weight (about 5 pounds a year) until I become overweight in about 3 years. We'll see what happens then!

Thanks again for posting.

by Anonymousreply 6903/08/2015

I'm not heavy ( could lose 5 lbs?) but have minimal muscle tone. Don't want to bulk up but just gain some definition esp around my abs and ass - any suggestions?

Cardio & weights? Pilates?

by Anonymousreply 7003/08/2015

ok so here goes, i took two massive dumps, one just now and one friday. and i read all on here about corn being in your filth, but i looked and don't see any. It would'nt be such a big deal but i ate two corn dogs thursday for dinner and had corn bread friday at dinner. where is the corn? why is my body not eliminating it. what should i do. i took a bunch of metamucil and a laxative to get it out. i heard about corn kernal cancer as a child so i never eat popcorn or corncobs

by Anonymousreply 7103/08/2015

r65 notice you didnt try to get your partner involved cause you only thought of yourself, you shitass.

by Anonymousreply 7203/08/2015

[quote]Cardio & weights? Pilates?

Yes, all three.

by Anonymousreply 7303/08/2015

R65 here and I have considered my partner, of course. It's just we have very different ways of working out. Basically, I like to exercise outdoors and she likes to exercise indoors. I go for bicycle rides and enjoy table tennis, she likes to do exercises at home from a TV telling you what to do. It's just very different.

We also eat differently - I eat when I'm hungry, she eats at regular intervals. I can skip a meal no problem, she can't. But, if the meal's there (and she fixes them), I'll eat it. So, it's just different life patterns. Overall, I was in better shape before I met her, but my life was miserable. So, if this is the price to pay, what the hell. At the rate that this is going, I still have 3 years to go before I become overweight.

I don't know if I should reply to the insult you wrote. Maybe that's just the way you were raised.

by Anonymousreply 7403/08/2015

Its always possible.

by Anonymousreply 7503/08/2015

Baby steps, OP. Setting distant, unrealistic goals is a great way to defeat yourself. Set modest goals, and when you reach them move the bar.

by Anonymousreply 7603/08/2015

R62, why would losing weight involve breaking up with your partner?

by Anonymousreply 7703/08/2015

r65. are you cheating on ur spouse., trying to get a younger man. she. dont you mean he? your a guy right.

by Anonymousreply 7803/08/2015

im sorryfor the shitass. i just got the feeling u were thinking of urself or u were cheating

by Anonymousreply 7903/08/2015

It's infinitely easier if you've got a lean body, walk at least 2 kilometres daily and DON'T OVER EAT!!!

I'd guess that 90% of Americans could get by with HALF their daily intake.

How many times can it be said: the key problem is too much FOOD.

Stay lean throughout your life and everything is easier. I've seen 70 yr old guys who are still sexually attractive because they've clearly had tight lean bodies throught their lives and have kept them that way. So there's no sag anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 8003/08/2015

r65. That never happened !!! your delay in responding revealed you to be a troll. thanks for playing

by Anonymousreply 8103/08/2015

1200 calories a day is concentration camp rations. I feel lightheaded and physically ill by the end of the day. It's not for everyone and it's NOT a lifestyle that you can live with forever.

by Anonymousreply 8203/08/2015

So R65 is a straight male? (based on the references to a female partner)

by Anonymousreply 8303/08/2015

It's 80% diet, 20% gym. You need to eliminate wheat and all those "healthy grains" from your diet. I'm 39 and have been wheat free for 3 years after reading Wheat Belly. I dropped 40 pounds and have never felt better. Kiss diabetes, constant hunger, colitis, joint pain, fatigue, mental health issues goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 8403/08/2015

Yes. I did it at 40. Still going strong at 44. Cut sugar and unnecessary carbs. Fitness routine. Fruit and veggies. Lean protein. Etc. had to buy all new clothes. They still fit. I enjoy my 40s.

by Anonymousreply 8503/08/2015

nah r65 is a troll. yhere never was any weight loss. hes fat living in basement

by Anonymousreply 8603/08/2015

Don't look now, but I think there are lesbians posting on this board. And 5'8" for 155 pounds sounds about right for a lesbian. Hide!

by Anonymousreply 8703/08/2015

The real r65 here. Just hit trollrar at r62 and see the rest.

My partner is very fit. He's blessed with amazing genes. 60 years old, has always taken care of himself, great shape. He paddleboards with me once or twice a week and hits the gym on his own.

Really, just be consistent, find something you enjoy doing. It doesn't have to be drudgery.

by Anonymousreply 8803/08/2015

R66 here. I signed R65 a couple times getting confused with the fucking numbers, because I wrote TO R65 because I found his post interesting. Anyway... Hit trolldar and you'll see my fascinating posts. My first post was R62.

If only people didn't start escalating with the insults over a simple mistake... but then it wouldn't be Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 8903/08/2015

Like R65/R88 said, I posted at R62 and then incorrectly identified as R65 - simply because I had typed his number before.

Anyway, staying fit is really difficult when you've settled into life patterns that mean you are NOT fit. It's always a change in lifestyle, and those are difficult.

by Anonymousreply 9003/08/2015

This might sound like stupid question, but I can't seem to find an answer: when people cut out grains from their diet, do they cut out oatmeal too? I have cut out so much - no bread, pasta, white sugar - but I still eat oatmeal. I know it boils down to calories, but is oatmeal considered a grain?

by Anonymousreply 9103/08/2015

People who cut grain - where did you get carbs and how much carbs do you eat?

by Anonymousreply 9203/08/2015

I try to make fruit be my source of carbs. I've tried to eliminate all refined sugar and starches as much as is practical.

I think swimming every day, walking every day and cycling will help keep the weight off.

This shouldn't really be done with the goal of getting laid, but with the goal of being as healthy as possible.

by Anonymousreply 9303/08/2015

Agree with R93. Starches and sugar are to stay away from.

Cycling, walking are great ways of staying fit. At least 1 hour a day.

by Anonymousreply 9403/08/2015

Intermittent fasting - the new trick of fitness freaks - does work.

by Anonymousreply 9503/08/2015

How about low carb? You think it's sustainable? I never felt better than when I cut carbs from my ration, leaving only vegetables. I felt energetic and healthy. But all studies say you have to eat mostly carbs, less protein and fats. But when I start to eat even complex carbs, I immediately start to crave simple carbs, and feel like shit.

by Anonymousreply 9603/08/2015

r62, r65, r88, r89, r90. huh sound lie you need to work on our mind. you're getting confused honey

by Anonymousreply 9703/08/2015

Hit trolldar, R97. You'll see there are two different posters, R65 and R62.

by Anonymousreply 9803/08/2015

I can't read the whole thread but yes it's possible. Especially if you can do two a days. I do my cardio at lunch then three times a week I do weights after work. I have a tight control on the nutrition.

Just be warned. At this age the minute you let your guard down and slide for a week or two you go downhill. Fast.

by Anonymousreply 9903/08/2015

Cutting out food groups is such faddish nonsense. Who in their right mind would deny themselves the pure pleasures of fresh pasta, crusty bread and ice cream? God: our time on earth is so limited, save me from the food taliban! As I said upthread: I think the key issue is just too much food. As the old wisdom says: eat what you like, but in moderation. That's all. Visit some countries where you'll see people with the most appalling diets but they're lean and fit because their lives are hard. Food allergies and restrictions are a First World prancing pony pampered fantasy. And Americans are simply the worst!

by Anonymousreply 10003/13/2015

I packed on muscle and bulked up in my mid 30s. I turned from being a skinny twink type by the time I was 40.

by Anonymousreply 10103/13/2015
Need more help? Click Here.