Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Elvis!

There was a suggestion in the "A Star Is Born" thread that maybe Elvis would make a good topic of chat.

Personally, I was never a big fan of the whole thing surrounding him at the beginning of his career back in the 50's. He was handsome and made some nice rocking music, but he was just ok with me. I was more into Buddy Holly and Jerry lee Lewis and Roy Orbison and Brenda Lee. (Yes, I'm an eldergay.)

I did not appreciate how good he was until years after the bloom was off his rose. Even then, I preferred to listen to him rather than see him. There was a phoniness about his performances that irked me.

Anyhow, I was skeeved out by his "romance" with 14 year old Priscilla. It just seemed very odd to me that her family would allow her to live with him at such a young age. Of course, Gladys and Vernon were around to watch over the couple, but the whole thing was strange. They apparently had Lisa Marie exactly 9 months after their wedding day (or close to it) and the story was that Elvis rarely if ever again had sex with Pris once she became a Mama.

There were also later stories about him having a fetish for very young girls wearing white cotton panties. It was said that he liked to watch them wrestle through a 1 way mirror. I have never read any bios of Elvis so some of this stuff may be from them. You will have to enlighten me. Someone mentioned repressed homosexuality in that other thread. That's a new one to me.

Col Parker certainly had a hold on this guy for all of his career and it's a shame that Elvis was such a naive kid when he was first starting out in the biz. Who knows what he could have accomplished with a better manager at his side?

by Anonymousreply 47204/26/2013

He would have been considered a pedophile by today's standards.

by Anonymousreply 104/09/2012

She was most likely pregnant when Elvis married her. A normal pregnancy is 36 to 40 weeks. I always thought this was a little strange too. Elvis had promised her mom and dad that he would marry her when she became of age.

by Anonymousreply 204/09/2012

Elvis looked good, had a nice deep voice, & could strum (but not really play) a guitar -- he didn't write or arrange music. His big contribution was as a bridge between "race music" & white audiences, for which we all should be grateful. Overall, he was a mediocre talent aside from rockabilly, though he could have been a superstar in that genre if Col. Parker had managed his career differently.

The less said about his movies & his personal life, the better.

by Anonymousreply 304/09/2012

Gladys was dead when Elvis started shacking up with his Lolita. She never knew Priscilla. In fact, Elvis probably would have never married that skank had Gladys been around.

At the time Priscilla wiggled her pussy into Graceland, Vernon was remarried to a gold-digging skank named Dee. She walked out on her Army colonel husband for fathead Vernon, bringing her three brats with her.

by Anonymousreply 404/09/2012

Did Elvis and Priscilla look alike even in their youth?

by Anonymousreply 504/09/2012

Elvis was beautiful....and my favorite velvet painting.

by Anonymousreply 604/09/2012

OP, since you weren't around in he 1950s, you are not going to have any understanding of Elvis at the beginning of his career or later Priscilla or any of it. So why don't you just shut he fuck up?

by Anonymousreply 704/09/2012

Er, um.

by Anonymousreply 804/09/2012

Well, we're all so very sorry you were skeeved out, OP.

Was there a point to any of this, really?

by Anonymousreply 904/10/2012

Only 9 posts about Elivs?

by Anonymousreply 1004/10/2012

As I said in the other thread, I don't think he was gay, I think he was straight and his momma fucked up his re lations with women. She may even have sexually abused him, when he was young and his father was in jail.

by Anonymousreply 1104/10/2012

I don't believe he was sexually abused by his mother, but his attitude about women was certainly shaped by his father's womanizing.

There's also a hilarious story about the origin of his white panties fetish. When Elvis was about three, his mother and an aunt were dancing in the living room, and the aunt was flipping her skirt and flashing her panties. Elvis got aroused and yelled, "Oh, my peter!" Gladys got angry at her sister for what she had "done" to Elvis, lol.

by Anonymousreply 1204/10/2012

Looks like the Widow Presley at r9 and r7 and her daughter or their $cieno pals have been Googling his name and found DL.

by Anonymousreply 1404/10/2012

Elvis fell in love with Ann-Margaret. He married Priscilla because he had given his word to her father that he would marry her. He was a southern gentleman and of course would not back down from his promise.

by Anonymousreply 1504/10/2012

"Before Elvis, there was nothing..." - John Lennon

Nobody had really looked like that before...

How many "Oh Dear"s do you think were uttered during his television performances by parents or Mothers?

by Anonymousreply 1604/10/2012

I grew up in a trashy little redneck town in the deep south. There were LOTS of guys like him, minus the talent and the polish he acquired on the way up. The fact that his background was always evident was undoubtedly part of the reason his fans found him attractive--he was one of them.

by Anonymousreply 1704/10/2012

He would not date a woman who had given birth.

by Anonymousreply 1804/10/2012

To Elvis, women were either saints or whores. He was once quoted as saying "I'll never break a virgin. There's already too many prostitutes walking around."

by Anonymousreply 1904/10/2012

What about the rumors that the real reason he had such a big male posse around is because he was gay or at least bi?

by Anonymousreply 2004/11/2012

"Overall, he was a mediocre talent aside from rockabilly, though he could have been a superstar in that genre if Col. Parker had managed his career differently."

He was most definitely NOT a "mediocre talent." He was electrifying in performance and was incredibly sexy. The thing that really fucked up his career was the advice of his awful manager; think of what Elvis Presley could have accomplished if he'd had a GOOD manager. All Tom Parker cared about was making money, not artistry. Elvis did as he was told and eventually became a joke. It's hard to believe that bloated, drug-addled blob in a white jumpsuit used to be the vital, juicy young man who'd been the "King of Rock and Roll." What a tragedy, what a waste.

by Anonymousreply 2104/11/2012

Albert Goldman tried to claim that Elvis was a latent homosexual, hence the circle of men that he surrounded himself with. But over the years not ONE man, anywhere, has ever stepped forward with a claim that they got it on with Elvis. And no, I'm not an Elvis fan, nor am I Cheryl.

by Anonymousreply 2209/21/2012

Elvis liked to be fucked

by Anonymousreply 2309/21/2012

Great bios of Elvis are "Last Train to Memphis" (birth through entering the army) and "Careless Love" (army days through death).

by Anonymousreply 2409/21/2012

[quote]What about the rumors that the real reason he had such a big male posse around is because he was gay or at least bi?

Baseless...other than the sad, lonely queens on DL who want every man to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 2509/21/2012

Yeah, Pricilla was just a little girl when he started a relationship with her. Big deal. Rock stars love REALLY young girls. Jimmy Page pounced on Lori Maddox when she was 14 years old (he was 29). Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones started screwing around with a 13 year old when he was in his forties, I think (he eventually married her). For an adult male to mess around with girls that age is immoral and illegal. But it's standard behavior for rock stars, actors, people like that.

by Anonymousreply 2609/21/2012

James Dean and then Elvis were the 2 most stunning iconic guys of the 50s - both had a new look for teenagers. You had to be there to experience it. Young guys didn't have to look like their fathers anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2709/21/2012

Never a fan of his, but must admit he is smoking hot in the 1968 "comeback" special, and performs as if his life depended on it.

by Anonymousreply 2809/21/2012

I don't believe he was gay or bi, but I do believe he had sex with his mother.

by Anonymousreply 2909/21/2012

Tom Jones told me that he and Elvis spit roasted a girl once.

by Anonymousreply 3009/21/2012

"I don't believe he was gay or bi, but I do believe he had sex with his mother."

Nah. He was just a mama's boy. That's pretty emotionally crippling. His closeness to his mother really fucked him up. But if she had lived, he probably would not married Pricilla, probably would not have become a hopeless drug addict. She was his anchor. She would have kept him in line.

by Anonymousreply 3109/21/2012

Yeah, r30 - then Elvis ate her...

by Anonymousreply 3209/21/2012

Whomever said he was mediocre is an idiot. His singing was superlative, he had star quality

by Anonymousreply 3309/21/2012

Elvis's drug use escalated after his mother's death, and he was never the same.

by Anonymousreply 3409/21/2012

Made some excellent records.

by Anonymousreply 3509/21/2012

R31 is being obtuse. Elvis's closeness with his mother fucked him up because he was fucking her. He would not have married had she lived because, again, he was fucking her.

It is not an unusual phenomenon among "Mama's boys," but it is grossly under-reported.

by Anonymousreply 3609/21/2012

"But over the years not ONE man, anywhere, has ever stepped forward with a claim that they got it on with Elvis."

I doubt he was gay, but you are delusional if you think everyone who has sex with a celebrity is going to "come forward." No one has come forward saying they got it on with Kevin Spacey, either....

"but it is grossly under-reported."

Maybe in your imagination. Some of you must have some weird incest fantasies or something. There is no evidence he had sex with his mom.

"Yeah, Pricilla was just a little girl when he started a relationship with her. Big deal. Rock stars love REALLY young girls"

Don't forget about Jerry Lee Lewis. Seriously, though, if these guys had been messing with young BOYS they would have been lynched. Heterosexuals are so hypocritical about that kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 3709/21/2012

"Elvis's closeness with his mother fucked him up because he was fucking her. He would not have married had she lived because, again, he was fucking her."

And you know this how? From gossip? Albert Goldman's biography was filled with every piece of dirt on Elvis Presley he could find, but even he didn't say Elvis fucked his mother.

I seem to recall that the "Elvis had sex with his mother" slur was made by Verson Presley's second wife Dee. The money train was gone by then and I guess she thought she could make some money by coming out with the allegation he fucked his mother. I remember her being on some talk show, Geraldo maybe, and one of the other guests who had known the Presleys ripped her a new asshole for spreading nasty lies.

by Anonymousreply 3809/21/2012

[quote]And you know this how? From gossip?

Yes. Which often has a ring of truth.

by Anonymousreply 3909/21/2012

[quote]I seem to recall that the "Elvis had sex with his mother" slur was made by Verson Presley's second wife Dee

Then it's definitely true. Why would she lie?

by Anonymousreply 4009/21/2012

He was a beautiful looking Man in 20'2 and 30's. Maybe the best looking man ever born.

by Anonymousreply 4109/21/2012

I agree that you had to be young in the fifties to truly appreciate Elvis. I was young in the seventies, and ick! To me, he was this horrible actor who appeared in the worst movies ever to be re-run, and the occasional glimpses of his rock-and-roll days weren't enough to overturn the bad impression from his films.

And it doesn't matter where the "mother-son incest" rumors started, I'd come to that conclusion on my own before I ever heard rumors from anyone else. Just from reading about Elvis's background and adult sexuality - he was a heterosexual who hated women and had major sexual issues, and who'd spent much of his childhood alone with his mother. Anyeone with a clue can do the math.

by Anonymousreply 4209/21/2012

Long before Elvis became a recording star, he and his band at the time played for a dance at my high school and were a total hit. Being a river town 90 miles south of Memphis, many of the greats before they became great visited Helena, AR. Conway Twitty also grew up there.

by Anonymousreply 4309/21/2012

"And it doesn't matter where the "mother-son incest" rumors started, I'd come to that conclusion on my own before I ever heard rumors from anyone else. Just from reading about Elvis's background and adult sexuality - he was a heterosexual who hated women and had major sexual issues, and who'd spent much of his childhood alone with his mother. Anyeone with a clue can do the math."

Oh, please. He didn't "hate" women. And being a mama's boy doesn't mean that sex was involved. I get the impression you don't know one thing about Elvis Presley. I think your "math" is incorrect. You just want to believe the worst.

If anyone is interested there are two very good books about the life of Elvis Presley: "Last Train To Memphis: the rise of Elvis Presley" and "Careless Love: the unmaking of Elvis Presley, both by Peter Guralnick. The former is chronicle of his rise to fame and the latter relates how that fame destroyed him. They're both very well-written, both very accurate, and both are very non-sensational and objective. I'd say if you want to learn about Elvis, those are the biographies to read.

by Anonymousreply 4409/21/2012

"Yes. Which often has a ring of truth."

And often is utter bullshit.

"Then it's definitely true. Why would she lie?"

For MONEY, you poor naive thing. The Presley gravy train was over; she needed cash. So she sold her "Elvis had sex with his mother" story to the tabloids. That is why. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 4509/21/2012

Elvis was a brilliant performer, and I regret I was too young (about 9 or 10) to appreciate him, his voice, and his charisma.

So he was sexually whacked. So were lots of celebrated people.

Moreover, 'Cilla aparently had whacked PARENTS, because that story of Elvis's "waiting for" her to become of age is BUNKUM!

They were climbers just like Nicole Brown Simpson's were (and the Lohans, Kardashians, Simpsons, Middletons,...).

by Anonymousreply 4609/21/2012

+1 with r44. I've read both. I'll admit skimming a few parts because Guralnick almost is too exhaustive in his detail.

What struck me the most is how young Elvis was when he started on drugs-his commanding officer in the Army gave him "pep" pills. Elvis was 21.

Also, surprisingly, throughout his life, Elvis read hundreds of books on spirituality and was on this endless search for meaning. Who knows what he was reading on that last toilet call.

I wish I could remember his take on Colonel Parker but I do recall in his prologue that Guralnick, probably anticipating that readers expect him to conclude that Parker was to blame for Elvis' demise, wrote, "There are no villains here."

by Anonymousreply 4709/21/2012

Elvis couldn't tour Europe or Asia because of Parker's concealed visa problems. Parker was definitely manipulative.

by Anonymousreply 4812/27/2012

"It just seemed very odd to me that her family would allow her to live with him at such a young age. Of course, Gladys and Vernon were around to watch over the couple, but the whole thing was strange."

Apparently Elvis was a very smooth talker. He told Pricilla's parents that his intentions towards her were entirely honorable, and that she would finish her education while living with him (she graduated from high school) and eventually they would be married. Even so, what kind of parents would let their underage daughter live with a twenty-something man who was a notorious sex symbol? According to Albert Goldman Pricilla's parents thought that her alliance with Elvis would constitute "a once in a lifetime opportunity." They had dollar signs in their eyes. I guess they thought if their little girl married the rich and famous Elvis Presley she would be set for life. And she was.

Gladys was dead when Elvis became infatuated with Pricilla. And Vernon never had any influence on Elvis at all. If Gladys had lived, Elvis's life would have been very different.

by Anonymousreply 4912/27/2012

HE IS STILL THE KING!

by Anonymousreply 5012/27/2012

Half-naked Elvis

by Anonymousreply 5112/30/2012

Elvis as a kid

by Anonymousreply 5212/30/2012

Elvis with his doggie.

by Anonymousreply 5312/30/2012

A rare photo of Elvis

by Anonymousreply 5412/30/2012

Here he is again

by Anonymousreply 5512/30/2012

His talent was being pretty and having oodles of charisma.

by Anonymousreply 5612/30/2012

Elvis Presley with his mother, Gladys, at home in Memphis, Tennessee, on July 4, 1956.

Gladys Love Presley died on August 14, 1958, not long before Elvis was due to be shipped to Germany.

August 15, Gladys funeral is held at 3:30pm.

Elvis sobbed hysterically while Gladys' favourite gospel group, the Blackwood Brothers, performed at the service in the Memphis Funeral Home, and he was equally inconsolable at her Forest Hill Cemetery grave site, crying out, 'Oh God, everything I have is gone'. Elvis leans over the grave, crying out, inconsolably, 'Goodbye, darling, goodbye. I love you so much. You know how much I lived my whole life just for you'.

by Anonymousreply 5712/30/2012

Sexy, sexy man. Great voice. Great arranger and interpreter of songs. He was the total package. Truly "THE Artist of the 20th Century"

by Anonymousreply 5812/30/2012

Elvis i don't think i've been so moved by a singer's voice as much as i've been moved by yours and i'm a music buff.

by Anonymousreply 5912/30/2012

[quote] Who knows what he could have accomplished with a better manager at his side?

It's a more complicated question that that. Parker helped turn Presley into one of the most successful, popular, and profitable entertainers of all time, and Presley's legend and fame persist (and continue to make money) to this day....

So it's a bit hard to say, "If only he had a decent manager!!" You can contemplate the might-have-beens all you want. Another manager might just have easily steered Elvis' career in a WORSE direction. It's too easy to cast Parker as the Svengali figure, leeching off Elvis and dragging his career down with bad get-rich-quick advice. A more complicated picture emerges if you read the Guralnick bios.

by Anonymousreply 6012/30/2012

R58 i totally agree with you. Totally!

by Anonymousreply 6112/30/2012

[quote]I seem to recall that the "Elvis had sex with his mother" slur was made by Verson Presley's second wife Dee.

Yeah. Dee didn't even meet the Presleys until after Gladys was dead, so there's no way she could know something like this. Elvis never really liked Dee--Vernon married her soon after Gladys died, and they'd begun having an affair when Dee was still married to husband #1. They did this right under Dee's first husband's nose. She was not high-class, as Elvis might have put it in a song.

Elvis would avoid Graceland when she was there (which is saying quite a lot). Lots of animosity between them, so this would certainly go a long way in explaining why she might spread a nasty rumor like that. Why someone would believe it is another matter.

by Anonymousreply 6212/30/2012

That Dee seems to me like a total asshole.

She can't harm Elvis' status with her unbelievable trashing.

Elvis was not a saint but ffs he didn't sleep with his mother. He adored his mother in a pure way. That's vulgar of that Dee cunt to say such a thing.

by Anonymousreply 6312/30/2012

And you can look at pictures of the Elvis' close circle of male friends and tell he wasn't gay. This isn't what a wealthy, successful, idolized gay man's fuck buddies look like.

Not that there's anything wrong with being gay. He just wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 6412/30/2012

Singing probably one of the innumerable love songs that he sung during his career with such emotional power and self-absorption

by Anonymousreply 6512/30/2012

[quote]OP, since you weren't around in he 1950s, you are not going to have any understanding of Elvis at the beginning of his career or later Priscilla or any of it. So why don't you just shut he fuck up?

Not only are you a creepy freak, R7, but you also can't read. The OP clearly states he was around during this time. Just not a fan.

by Anonymousreply 6612/30/2012

R64 Elvis was definitely not gay but i don't exclude the fact that he was a closeted...bisexual!

by Anonymousreply 6812/30/2012

It's possible, r68, but there's really nothing to suggest he had strong attractions to the same sex, and there's certainly nothing substantive to suggest he ever acted on such impulses.

It's not hard for me to accept that he was primarily a heterosexual person, though what secret desires someone may be harboring is, by nature, unknown, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 6912/30/2012

R69, i agree with what you say. :)

Elvis with Priscilla and Lisa

by Anonymousreply 7012/30/2012

Anyone who doubts the power of Elvis needs to listen to Surrender, An American Trilogy, Wearing That Loved On Look, or his version of Bridge Over Troubled Water. Doubts will be instantly dismissed. What a talent!

by Anonymousreply 7112/30/2012

Elvis Presley, 1935-1977: He Was the King of Rock and Roll

by Anonymousreply 7212/30/2012

He affected as all emotionally with his singing. People who say that they don't like him as a singer are fake people.

by Anonymousreply 7312/30/2012

*us

by Anonymousreply 7412/30/2012

You can see Vernon "Fathead" Presley in the background in R64's link.

And Colonel Lardass's mismanagement went a LONG way towards Elvis's final decline. That pig even sold Elvis's back catalog (without Elvis's knowledge!) circa 1974-75 in order to make money to cover his (Lardass's) gambling debts.

by Anonymousreply 7512/30/2012

"Of course, Gladys and Vernon were around to watch over the couple, but the whole thing was strange."

They were watching over the couple in bed? I'll say it was strange!

by Anonymousreply 7612/30/2012

"Gladys and Vernon were around to watch over the couple"

The couple as in Elvis and Priscilla? Gladys was dead by the time Elvis met Priscilla.

by Anonymousreply 7712/30/2012

I had always heard of Elvis but was not that familiar with his work. I grew up on my parents music (they were children of the 70s and 80s) and they had no Elvis stuff. I've been checking out songs on YouTube. This guy was epic.

by Anonymousreply 7912/30/2012

Caden yes!

:)

by Anonymousreply 8012/31/2012

Dee claimed that Vernon had told her that he suspected that Gladys had molested the very young Elvis while he was in prison. That is a long way from claiming that Elvis was a mother-fucker. I am 58, and I have known many mothers who seem to have sexual attraction to their sons, and they raise them to be Mama's boys, and try to keep the sons from having relations with girls their own ages. I don't know of any of them molesting the boys, but I have witnessed what I consider inappropriate touching, kissing on the neck and that sort of thing.

I've always figured that Elvis was bisexual, but it is clear that men were not the primary objects of his attraction. I am bisexual myself and it seems likely to me that most people are probably bisexual, except the gays who think pussy is gross.

by Anonymousreply 8112/31/2012

'It's Different Now'

by Anonymousreply 8212/31/2012

Elvis liked to suck big black boys dicks and get fucked

by Anonymousreply 8312/31/2012

“Without Elvis, none of us would have made it.

(Buddy Holly)

In the link down below see what other famous people thought of Elvis.

by Anonymousreply 8412/31/2012

" he could have been a superstar"

r3, WHAT?! whether "Rockabilly" or Rock and Roll, NOBODY was or has been a super-star to beat Elvis!

Can you say "ICON"?!

(You must be another idiot who judges singers by whether or not they are also composers.)

by Anonymousreply 8512/31/2012

I will never understand his popularity...not good looking, not sexy, not talented.

by Anonymousreply 8612/31/2012

I disagree with Frank Sinatra. I think that Frank was jealous of Elvis popularity...

Anyway they were both divine. Frank shouldn't make that derogatory remark about the King.

by Anonymousreply 8712/31/2012

R86 then you are deaf and blind.

by Anonymousreply 8812/31/2012

Well, r86, you are simply a moron.

by Anonymousreply 8912/31/2012

Elvis High School photo

by Anonymousreply 9012/31/2012

We get rocked in a gentle, powerful, gospel, bluesy and sexy way by him

by Anonymousreply 9112/31/2012

R86 - If you don't think he was attractive, you have never seen his 1968 "comeback" special. The man was the embodiment of sex. I have never seen a man more beautiful than he was on that show. As a teen back then, I was like every other boy, a total Beatles fanatic. I never thought about Elvis... until that night in December of '68. I watched with my parents and was floored by his talent and sex-appeal. From that night on, I was as big an Elvis fan as I was a Beatles fan. Now that I'm older, even more so. I finally got to see him live in concert in 1973. The greatest experience of my life. Elvis' voice got stronger and stronger as he got older (almost operatic). The greatest showman that ever existed. Give him another try, my friend.

by Anonymousreply 9212/31/2012

I'm reading the Guralnick bio right now, and it's seldom pointed out but I think the "Memphis Mafia" (the nickname for the entourage of good ol' boys around him) had a lot to do with his decline. They were nasty and difficult if Elvis tried to develop relationships or interests beyond them, beyond their boyish sports, partying, and games. Elvis tried to develop his interest in classical music, tried to develop spiritually through meditation and yoga, etc all of which they mocked ruthlessly (and they were always around). He was very weak-willed in his personal life and also very loyal to people from his past. They just seem like really annoying enablers.

by Anonymousreply 9312/31/2012

Well, it's one for the money,

Two for the show,

Three to get ready,

Now go, cat, go

by Anonymousreply 9412/31/2012

Beautiful photo of Elvis

by Anonymousreply 9512/31/2012

Fuckin' A! Now that's what I'm talkin' about, R94. I would have licked that from head to bloody toe. Mmmmmmmmm!

by Anonymousreply 9612/31/2012

One more...

by Anonymousreply 9712/31/2012

Lol Joey J!

Fine!

by Anonymousreply 9812/31/2012

by Anonymousreply 9912/31/2012

A 1956 photo of Elvis

by Anonymousreply 10012/31/2012

Get me some smelling salts. I'm gonna faint.

by Anonymousreply 10112/31/2012

Joey J. one more sexy photo of the King!

by Anonymousreply 10212/31/2012

Looool Ann-Margret!

Elvis with...you in Viva Las Vegas!

by Anonymousreply 10312/31/2012

R102: Scorching hot. Thanks. I liked that one.

by Anonymousreply 10412/31/2012

You welcome Joey J ~~~

Elvis Australia club member, Ian A. Fraser-Thomson meets Elvis Presley

by Anonymousreply 10512/31/2012

He seems touched by the love of his fans in this photo. Of course someone might say that his gaze is the result of cocaine use but i believe is the combination of the two.

by Anonymousreply 10612/31/2012

Elvis '56

by Anonymousreply 10712/31/2012

Whoa, beautiful photo of Elvis R107

by Anonymousreply 10812/31/2012

I could be wrong, but I don't believe Elvis used cocaine, r106. It was a strange quirk of his personality. He was very "anti-drug," as in street drugs, but addicted to prescription drugs.

by Anonymousreply 10912/31/2012

There is a lot of speculation about Elvis and drugs R109, but i'm afraid only the people who were really close to Elvis knew the truth. I don't know if he only was taking prescription drugs, i know that at the beginning he was very anti-drug as you said and he didn't even smoke or drink. However later, he took to drinking... Anyway, i don't know either precisely about it.

In the photo below: Elvis Australia club member, Mickie M. Malbrough being kissed by Elvis, after she thanked him for the photo(s) This photo was taken in Mobile, Alabama the last night of Elvis' come back tour in September 1970.

by Anonymousreply 11012/31/2012

Preferred receiving blowjobs over vag. intercourse.

Allegedly climaxed in his black leather at some point during the taping of the '68 Comeback Special. (I always chose to believe this eruption happened during one of the rhythmic writhes in the 'unplugged' segment. See link below).

Dated Tura Satana when she was stripping in Biloxi.

Affectionately referred to his manhood as Little Elvis.

Uncut.

by Anonymousreply 11112/31/2012

Ok, now i'm going to watch your link Dallas Winston

Kisses~ :)

by Anonymousreply 11212/31/2012

" i know that at the beginning he was very anti-drug "

Even later. The reason he visited Nixon at the White House was so that he could get an FBI badge to help in the fight against drugs, as in street drugs. All while on some pretty hardcore prescription narcotics!

He occasionally drank and even experimented once or twice with street drugs, but his thing was definitely prescription drugs. He was very miffed by people who used street drugs. It was an odd quirk of personality/part of the times: He grew up in the "better living through chemistry" era when it was seldom considered that the innovative drugs that doctors prescribed to "help" you might be addictive and end up doing more harm than good.

by Anonymousreply 11312/31/2012

Elvis could take a song that someone else recorded and make it his own. As far as an interpreter of songs, I think that only Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Billie Holiday and even Rod Stewart are Elvis' equals.

That being said, young Elvis just oozed sexy. The 1968 "comeback" performance is Elvis at the top of his game--and when he was at his peak, he was almost untouchable.

by Anonymousreply 11412/31/2012

I've been commenting on this thread a bunch... I can't believe I forgot to share this cool net radio station I've been enjoying lately.

Elvis Presley Express is a 24 hour radio station that plays nothing but Elvis. Lots of cool outtakes, interviews, rare tracks, classics, etc, and NO ADS.

(btw: It's more evidence that he's a great artist imho: almost any other singer you'd get outrageously bored listening to them so much, but it's really fascinating, great listening even for extended periods of time. Give it a shot if you've been curious about Elvis. )

I especially love the early Sun recordings which pop up every now and then. He did great Dylan covers, and I've heard lots of fun gems I didn't know about or forgot: "Daddy, Don't Cry" "Memphis, Tennessee" and on and on!

So glad there are other Elvis fans on DL. Who knew!?!?

by Anonymousreply 11512/31/2012

Yes R115 Elvis was simply a GENIOUS singer!

by Anonymousreply 11612/31/2012

AMAZING AND DIRECT!

by Anonymousreply 11712/31/2012

Nashville Studio B, June 1958

by Anonymousreply 11812/31/2012

Can't be wrong...yes.

by Anonymousreply 11912/31/2012

Gorgeous, r116...

For you....

by Anonymousreply 12012/31/2012

R120...THE BEST PHOTO BY FAR!

Thanks for sharing!

by Anonymousreply 12112/31/2012

Never remade a song that wasn't done better by the original.

by Anonymousreply 12212/31/2012

Enough, Photo Troll!

by Anonymousreply 12312/31/2012

Elvis and Johnny Mathis. They look like they're about to go off and bang the shit out of each other.

by Anonymousreply 12412/31/2012

Piss off r123, the pics are great and I thank the poster for taking the trouble to post them.

That pic at r120 shows a very Marlon Brando like vibe coming from Elvis. I like it.

by Anonymousreply 12512/31/2012

R12, I never read that story before but, if it's true, it makes perfect psycho-sexual sense. Where did you hear that?

by Anonymousreply 12612/31/2012

I would love to see a cooperation between Elvis and Roy Orbison. They would make a fantastic duet with their beautiful voices.

I guess it's too late now, but it's nice to think about it.

by Anonymousreply 12701/01/2013

Mischievous Elvis

by Anonymousreply 12801/01/2013

How many love songs you sung Elvis? I lost the number. How powerful and pure also was the way you sung the gospel. You could be lustful or religious. A walking contradiction.

Elvis Presley you were a gorgeous, charismatic performer.

by Anonymousreply 12901/01/2013

Unsurpassable

by Anonymousreply 13001/01/2013

Agree with your concise summary, R93.

Have heard that opinion before, R122, but never from anyone familiar with Presley's work.

R110 you have that backwards. He took to smoking, not to drinking.

by Anonymousreply 13101/02/2013

i am on the elvis diet percodan and jelly donuts

by Anonymousreply 13201/02/2013

The best cover of this beautiful song was Elvis Presley's by far

It gives you goosebumps

by Anonymousreply 13301/04/2013

R133 Yes, that is flawless and spine-tingling.

by Anonymousreply 13401/04/2013

High five Elvis fan! :)

by Anonymousreply 13501/05/2013

His daughter has sung a couple of good songs. She is not as grand as her father as a singer but i like some of her songs a lot. For example this one is a song that Elvis could have sung.

by Anonymousreply 13601/06/2013

[quote]Who knows what he could have accomplished with a better manager at his side?

I don't know your expectations, but - strictly speaking professionally - the guy is still the King of Rock N Roll and had the most chart hits for decades until the internet changed the industry and a new charting system took over. He was the inspiration of many to come and no one has combined looks, talent, and raw sex like he has. In my book, he accomplished quite a bit for a poor farm boy.

by Anonymousreply 13701/06/2013

Elvis was highly accomplished. What are we talking about? Gee!

by Anonymousreply 13801/06/2013

I wonder if he would have become "ELVIS!" if his twin brother, Jesse, hadn't died at birth. Gladys would have had to share the love between both of them and that might have changed the whole family dynamic.

Ordinary people.

by Anonymousreply 13901/06/2013

Who knows R139....maybe yes, maybe no.

by Anonymousreply 14001/06/2013

The Beatles reading about Elvis and Elvis showing off Beatles from a magazine

by Anonymousreply 14101/09/2013

Elvis was never much of a drinker, although he did smoke. He liked cigarillos and his favorite cigarette brand was Tareyton, remember those?

by Anonymousreply 14201/09/2013

link to wiki entry with a section about his "devotion to his mother" ...pretty freaky. if he hadn't been musically gifted, it's easy to see how he'd have spent the rest of his life happily living with his mama in a one room shack, talking baby talk to each other and sleeping in the same bed. I bet she breast fed him years longer than was necessary and bathed him at least until he left home. he probably didn't have sex with her but there seems to have been a lot of cuddling and levels of abnormal physical/emotional intimacy going on.

by Anonymousreply 14301/09/2013

"link to wiki entry with a section about his "devotion to his mother" ...pretty freaky'

He was a mama's boy. There are plenty of those, especially in the South. They're pretty pathetic individuals. They live with their mothers their entire lives and let their mommies take care of them. It usually doesn't involve any sexual contact, although sometimes it does. Mama's boys are VERY fucked up people.

by Anonymousreply 14401/09/2013

Of course Elvis fucked his mother, have you ever seen a more sultry wanton sex goddess than Gladys Ermaline Presley??

by Anonymousreply 14601/10/2013

ROFL R146!

I laughed my ass off with what you wrote

by Anonymousreply 14701/10/2013

Elvis

Steve Mcqueen

Barbara Leigh

by Anonymousreply 14801/11/2013

I don't think Lisa Marie is as talented as Rosanne Cash - and she's not all that talented, but incredibly full of herself and thinks she's an important artist.

by Anonymousreply 14901/11/2013

R149 Lisa Marie has made good choices in her singing. She didn't sing garbage songs.

by Anonymousreply 15001/11/2013

Neither did Rosanne Cash - Tom Petty, John Hiatt. Rodney Crowell - it's just that their songs are much better than her own. Except "Seven Year Ache" which she claims to have written, I strongly suspect Crowell wrote most of it!

by Anonymousreply 15101/11/2013

Anne Murray was Elvis' favourite female singer. Read more down below...

by Anonymousreply 15201/13/2013

And now 'Snowbird' by Elvis!

by Anonymousreply 15301/13/2013

Elvis with Priscilla

by Anonymousreply 15401/13/2013

With Priscilla again

by Anonymousreply 15501/13/2013

No one sang the way Elvis did. He was the bridge between white and black people. He was so powerful when he was singing. So chilling. He really felt it and he really could put each song in your heart with his interpretation. He was a phenomenon. He still is. Not because of his popularity and the advertising but because of his incredible way of singing. I haven't heard a man with such power and sentiment in his voice and i have heard so many singers, really i have.

Elvis...you move me again and again and so many times you make me shiver the way you sing your songs.

by Anonymousreply 15602/11/2013

In his thirties, he was the sexiest man who ever strutted across the Earth (for proof, watch either his 1968 NBC TV Special or his 1970 documentary film, "That's The Way It Is". I still get hard watching him perform in those. The older he got, the sexier and more operatic his voice became. I was a late '60s teen and loved my Beatles, but Elvis was always an equal in my eye. I met Elvis in 1973 in Vegas. He was the nicest, funniest, most down to Earth and gracious guy you could ever meet (and was VERY sexy). Still a highlight of my life. I'll love him always!

by Anonymousreply 15702/11/2013

R3, "he didn't write or arrange music"

Actually, he arranged most of the songs he recorded. He was not a songwriter, but he did arrange.

by Anonymousreply 15802/11/2013

I always laugh at the idiots who claim that Elvis "stole" the black man's songs. Uh, no. He did not. He paid for the rights to every song he ever recorded. I tore into a guy at work one time who claimed that Elvis was a thief who stole poor Big Mama Thornton's "Hound Dog" and didn't pay her a penny in song-writer royalties. I laughed and explained to him that he paid her no royalties for the song because she did not write it. It was written by Leiber and Stoller. He paid the royalties to them.

by Anonymousreply 15902/11/2013

I have a sister-in-law who made my nephew into a "mama's boy" like Elvis, and I don't think there was ever any actual sexual contact, but there was always wide open nudity between the two of them, right up until he married in his 20s, and while she didn't kiss him on the lips, she was always kissing around on him, the cheeks, the neck, etc. She sabotaged his first marriage, and now she hates his second wife even more than the first. These women that raise "mama's boys" mess up their whole lives.

by Anonymousreply 16002/11/2013

Elvis actually did make some good movies and he could act. Granted, he was not Olivier, but he could hold his own. "King Creole" and "Flaming Star" were excellent movies. "Jailhouse Rock" was very good. "Follow That Dream" was an enjoyable comedy. "Charro" was a mediocre movie, but Elvis was quite good in it. He did mostly make the equivalent of 'beach movies', but a handful of his films were of good quality. I think it would have been interesting to see Elvis in "Midnight Cowboy." John Schlesinger wanted Elvis for Jon Voight's part. Elvis wanted to do it desperately, but the idiot Colonel forbade him to do it because it was a "queer" movie. Elvis was very disappointed that he could not do the film and decided at that point to finish up his movie contract and quit acting. Not being able to do "Midnight Cowboy" was one of his greatest disappointments.

by Anonymousreply 16102/11/2013

R161, I wish Elvis had had the balls and confidence to fire the Colonel. If he had different management, I think his life would have turned out quite differently. I think the Colonel was good for him in the fifties, but after he returned from the army, he should have shit-canned him. If the Colonel had his way, the '68 Comeback Special would have been a silly Christmas special with fake snow and Elvis singing to five year old kids. Luckily, the producer of the show took it in a much different direction (thankfully). The Colonel was quite pissed about that (until the ratings came in, then he took all the credit). It would have been cool to see Elvis in Midnight Cowboy. It would have been a career changer.

by Anonymousreply 16202/11/2013

I'm 20 and just discovered Elvis recently. I had heard the name and knew who he was, but my exposure to Elvis was mostly though impersonators in movies. He was kind of a joke. I began dating my guy last year and his parents are huge Elvis fans. One evening, after dinner, they put on The '68 Comeback Special on their TV and my partner and I were sitting on the sofa. I had no real interest, but I was soon blown the fuck away by his energy, sexuality and voice. I instantly became a fan and within two months I had 300 Elvis songs on my iPod. Huge fan now.

by Anonymousreply 16302/11/2013

My first gay crush. Well, second if you count Kent McCord on "Adam-12". My first 45 single was "Burning Love" (which, at the time, I called "Hunka-Hunka") in 1972, when I was seven. A few months later, I watched his Aloha from Hawaii Special with my parents and was hooked. Within two weeks my parents bought me his Golden Records Vol. I & II. I thought Elvis was the most beautiful person I had ever seen. I didn't know it was a "crush", but it definitely was. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 16402/11/2013

That's a sweet story, r163. I'm sure your partner's parents love that you can all bond over his music.

by Anonymousreply 16502/11/2013

SEXIEST. MAN. EVER.

by Anonymousreply 16602/11/2013

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elvis rocked and keeps on rocking our world.

I love the singer in him, how could not someone love the singer in him?

by Anonymousreply 16702/11/2013

He was a HUNKA HUNKA BURNING LOVE!

by Anonymousreply 16802/11/2013

Bingo R168!

:) You are sweet by the way.

by Anonymousreply 16902/11/2013

My 15 Favorite Elvis Songs:

1. One Night

2. Jailhouse Rock

3. Wearing That Loved On Look

4. Reconsider Baby

5. Suspicious Minds

6. Baby Let's Play House

7. Hound Dog

8. Lawdy Miss Clawdy

9. (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care

10. Burning Love

11. Big Hunk O' Love

12. An American Trilogy

13. Mystery Train/Tiger Man (Live)

14. Such A Night

15. Like A Baby

by Anonymousreply 17002/11/2013

R170 i like all the songs you mentioned and i also found your post super sweet.

Viva Elvis Presley fans!

You rock guys!

by Anonymousreply 17102/11/2013

Elvis did one of the best Funk songs I have ever heard in my life, believe it or not. In 1974, he did a song called "I Got a Feelin' in My Body" that is a funk as anything of that era by Ohio Players or Kool & The Gang. That fucking song will tear the antlers off of a bull moose at 200 paces. I wish he had done more songs like that in the '70s.

by Anonymousreply 17202/11/2013

R172, Holy Shit! I forgot about that song. My mom had that album (Good Times) in the mid-'70s. I used to play that song over and over when I was about ten-eleven years old. It was a scorcher.

by Anonymousreply 17302/11/2013

If I could go back in time and suck one cock, it would be Elvis'. I was too young when he was still alive, but I would get in my time machine and go back at my current age and suck his boner till his head caved in. That was a gorgeous fucking stud (even in his last year or so, when he gained weight). Yummy!

by Anonymousreply 17402/11/2013

yes, i love Elvis too! He's so much better than the musicians today.

His mother "smothered" him coz Elvis had a twin brother who was stillborn.

Elvis has a grandson who signed a 5 million contract a few years ago, wonder what happened to him?

by Anonymousreply 17502/11/2013

My favourite Elvis blues song was his 1971 Christmas song, "Merry Christmas, Baby" (especially the long version). That fucker is on my Christmas must-hear list every year at that time. I actually get a throbber listening to that song.

by Anonymousreply 17602/11/2013

LOVE that song!

Here you go, R172&R173:

by Anonymousreply 17702/11/2013

R177, YEAH! THANX!

by Anonymousreply 17802/11/2013

Anyone who says that Elvis was a 'mediocre talent' is either deaf, severely mentally challenged, or was too obsessed with Captain & Tennille and The Osmonds to know what true talent was. Jeez! I love the King, baby!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 17902/11/2013

Elvis was so sexy when he did that Aloha From Hawaii TV-Special (glassy eyes and all). I think that special was the first time I ever felt sexual attraction for anyone (and was the first hint that I would turn out to be gay). 1973. I can't believe it's been 40 fucking years. Damn! I remember sitting on the floor in front of the TV, watching with my wonderful parents and my dear brother. They're all gone now. Very special memories.

by Anonymousreply 18002/11/2013

"Number 47 said to number 3 You're the cutest jailbird I ever did see. I sure would be delighted with your company, Come on and do the jailhouse rock with me.

Lets rock, everybody, lets rock. Everybody in the whole cell block Was dancin to the jailhouse rock."

by Anonymousreply 18102/11/2013

"Elvis! Elvis! Leave me be. Keep that pelvis far from me."

by Anonymousreply 18202/11/2013

My all-time favorite singer. As a teen in the '70s, my friends made fun of me for loving Elvis. I loved Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Floyd, Purple and Sabbath too, but my friends never let me live down my love for Elvis. Fuck 'em. He's still the king.

by Anonymousreply 18302/11/2013

I didn't know about Midnight Cowboy until now. Wow, too bad Elvis didn't take the role Jon Voight played. That really would have been amazing. In'69 Elvis was still gorgeous and he really would have been something in that role.

by Anonymousreply 18402/11/2013

Elvis would have made one sexy-ass Joe Buck. I never thought Voight was attractive, but Elvis? MMMMM, MMMMM Good!

by Anonymousreply 18502/11/2013

R185 - If Elvis had played that part, I would have the scene where Joe Buck gets the blow job in the movie theater on a constant and continual loop on my TV for all eternity. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 18602/11/2013

Wow! Was Elvis considered for that role R184?

Yes, it would be sensational with him!(sighs)

Anyway, what he left behind is a great legacy, i have no complaints personally. What more a human being can offer in this life? Nobody can be perfect in all realms. Elvis reached perfection as a singer. He wanted so much to succeed as an actor but for some reason, he didn't. However, it's fun to watch him playing in the movies because he was sexy and he had really the mood to be there. Let's not forget that he was also singing in his films and that's a plus because that man was really such a charismatic singer.

I also disagree when i hear that in the 60's Elvis produced mediocre music work. That's a goddamn lie! He sung a lot of lovely songs during that decade. Even in the 70's Elvis chose a number of powerful songs to grace his career.'Promised Land' and 'Moody Blue' were decent albums, i don't understand why people expect from someone to be forever young on stage (sighs). Maybe because he got fat and performed some antics on stage while singing his songs some people felt the need to trash him as an artist. In reality he was always unique as an artist. He just grew old and got fat. That was the difference in Elvis.

I posted the link with this song before but i will post it once again. It fits the occasion.

by Anonymousreply 18702/11/2013

If Elvis had played the part, I hope that they would have had someone better looking than fucking Bob Balaban giving the B.J. though, R185. Maybe Brandon DeWilde or Don Grady (LoL).

by Anonymousreply 18802/11/2013

R186 I was just going to post that same thing. Imagine the theater blowjob scene with a young, hot Elvis. OMG that would have been too hot!

by Anonymousreply 18902/11/2013

Charming

by Anonymousreply 19002/11/2013

Tom Jones, seen here with Elvis and Priscilla Presley, has said that Elvis inspired him to become a singer.

by Anonymousreply 19102/11/2013

R187, True. Elvis did do a lot of mediocre material in the '60s, but he also did some of his best work (and some of the hottest recordings ever made):

Reconsider Baby, A Mess Of Blues, Such A Night, Are You Lonesome Tonight, Like A Baby, Feel So Bad, Memphis Tennessee, Tomorrow Is A Long Time, Guitar Man, Flaming Star, Follow That Dream, Devil In Disguise, Big Boss Man, Wearing That Loved On Look, Only The Strong Survive, Suspicious Minds, In The Ghetto, Surrender, Marie's The Name (His Latest Flame), Little Sister, Fame & Fortune, Long Black Limousine, Baby What you Want Me To Do, How Great Thou Art, Crying In The Chapel, Love Letters, It Hurts Me, Ask Me, Rubberneckin', A Little Less Conversation, Tiger Man, I'll Hold You in My Heart, Power Of My Love, Any Day Now, Stranger In My Own Home Town.

Very impressive, for being his "off" decade.

by Anonymousreply 19202/11/2013

I love all facets of Elvis. I'm going to be perfectly honest. I can watch and enjoy even the silliest of his movies. That man was "sex personified." I can watch anything he's in with no complaints. A previous poster mentioned "King Creole", "Flaming Star" and "Jailhouse Rock" as good movies. They are. Especially "Creole." He rocked that mother-fucker!

by Anonymousreply 19302/11/2013

excerpt from the link below

'Elvis and Gladys', one of the best researched and most acclaimed books on Elvis' early life, reconstructs the extraordinary role Gladys played in her son's formative years. Uncovering facts not seen by other biographers, Elvis and Gladys reconstructs for the first time the history of the mother and son's devoted relationship and reveals new information about Elvis--his Cherokee ancestry, his boyhood obsession with comic books, and his early compulsion to rescue his family from poverty. Coming to life in the compelling narrative is the poignant story of a unique boy and the maternal tie that bound him. It is at once an intimate psychological portrait of a tragic relationship and a mesmerizing tale of the early years of an international idol.

by Anonymousreply 19402/11/2013

I always thought he was sooooooo sexy in his movie "Live a Little, Love a Little." When I saw the movie at the drive-in back in 1968, I almost came in my pants at the thought of Elvis in the shower. You don't see anything, but the fantasy was almost too much for my 13 year-old gay brain to handle.

Here's something interesting about that movie:

Celeste Yarnall, who played Ellen, recalled the making of the film and her impressions of Elvis Presley:

"I adored Elvis. When I met him for the first time he immediately put me at ease. We had to film our kissing scene first and neither of us heard the director say, 'Cut!' For me, it was love at first kiss! We became very good friends. He was warm and kind and full of love. He had this tremendous desire to please people. We watched the funeral of Martin Luther King, Jr. together over lunch in his trailer. He cried. He really cared deeply. He was far more handsome in person with deep blue eyes and a Roman profile. He held jam sessions on the set and would play cars with George Barris or play football with the 'boys' who traveled with him everywhere. He was truly 'The King.'"

Lucky fucking bitch!

by Anonymousreply 19502/11/2013

If I had been Ann-Margret or Priscilla, I would have ridden that root night and day, until there was nothing left but a smoldering nub. God damn, he was sexy!

by Anonymousreply 19602/11/2013

I would have loved being in a sex sandwich between Elvis and Nick Adams back in the day. I doubt the rumours about the two of them were true, but it's hot to think about.

by Anonymousreply 19702/11/2013

Hell, I'm COMPLETELY gay, but I would have gladly partaken in a threesome with Elvis and Ann-Margret. She was a very sexy woman. Not Elvis sexy, but one of the only females I could do. They sizzled together.

by Anonymousreply 19802/11/2013

Elvis died in August of 1977. "Saturday Night Fever" came out several months later (in December). Do you think Elvis would have "gone disco"? On his last album, Moody Blue, the title track had a light disco-ish beat. I'm just trying to picture Elvis in 1978 or 1979 doing "Macho Man", "Let's All Chant", "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)", "Night Fever" or "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" Actually, I would have loved to see him sing "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?"

by Anonymousreply 19902/11/2013

R199, No, I don't think Elvis would have gone disco. He did record a Bee Gees song once (in their pre-disco days, he recorded the excellent "Words"). I always thought Elvis could have rocked a mean "Whole Lotta Love" (Led Zeppelin). I think that could have been a showstopper for him.

by Anonymousreply 20002/11/2013

I could never picture the King singing Let's All Chant or Macho Man, ROFLMAO. No, he wouldn't have gone disco.

by Anonymousreply 20102/11/2013

I think he could have done a spectacular version of Bowie's "Heroes". I would kill or die to have heard that. Bowie did write "Golden Years" with the intention of submitting it to Elvis to record. My two favorite singers of all time. I wish they hoad done a rocking duet.

by Anonymousreply 20202/11/2013

It is interesting to speculate what he might have done, had he lived. I suspect he would have gone deeper into country music. I hope not, but I think he might have. Disco? No. Maybe a disco-influenced track or two, but he wouldn't have reinvented himself as the king of disco. It's hard to fathom. If he had lived AND fired The Colonel, the possibilities would have been endless.

by Anonymousreply 20302/11/2013

I can totally hear Elvis singing Bowie's "Heroes" in my head, as well as "Golden Years." You're absolutely right, r202.

by Anonymousreply 20402/11/2013

Regardless of whether he had lived longer, or not, he left behind a perfect musical legacy. I have 4oo+ of his songs on my iPod (and little of that includes his '60s movie schlock). His legacy was second to none.

by Anonymousreply 20502/11/2013

If Elvis had lived, he should have shaved the sideburns (by '77 they had become cartoonish), ditched the jumpsuits, gotten back in shape, and rocked a little harder in the late-'70s. I would have loved to hear him with Bowie/New Wave influences and delving deeper into the Hard Blues and Funk.

by Anonymousreply 20602/11/2013

Thin Lizzy's Phil Lynott was a huge Elvis fan. He could have written some balls out great material for the King. I was just listening to Lynott's "King's Call" (written about Elvis' death) this morning. Very touching.

by Anonymousreply 20702/11/2013

Two of my favorite Elvis songs were recorded near the end of his life. "Hurt" (1976) and his cover of "Unchained Melody" (1977). Amazing and haunting. Another song, "Way Down" (1977) was a great rocker that showed that he could still rock out with his cock out. There will never be another.

by Anonymousreply 20802/11/2013

I have basically no idea who Elvis was outside of knowing a few of his songs. After reading this thread and another one about him liking only young women over the weekend I find myself really wanting to know more about him. He seems to have had a fascinating life, lived during an amazing time on history.

There seem to be a lot of people here that know quite a lot about him, so I hope I can get some Elvis 101 answers.

Does anyone know how or why he ended up an addict? When and how did his involvement start?

Having just realized, after a few years of pain management, that I may be more addicted than dependent on pain meds I wonder if he ever realized that he was just as much an addict as someone addicted to street drugs?

Can anyone recommend any biographic books on him that delve into his life from a psychological stand point? I would think that could be a fascinating read.

by Anonymousreply 20902/11/2013

209, The story goes that after he was drafted into the army, at the height of his rock 'n' roll career, he began to use speed when he was on night patrol while stationed in Germany to stay awake. After returning to the States in 1960, he continued to use speed to control his weight. He also began using pills to make him sleep, pills to wake up, etc. When Priscilla left him in late 1971, he really went off the deep end (as far as the prescription drugs were concerned). You can see a huge difference in his appearance and demeanor by watching his 1970 concert film "That's The Way It Is" and his 1972 concert film "Elvis On Tour". By 1973, he had already o.d.'ed at least once. His father did everything he could to stop him, to no avail. It is said that by 1974, he had passed the point of no return. His heart was damaged and his drug intake could stagger an elephant. It all ended on August 16, 1977. Tragic.

by Anonymousreply 21002/11/2013

There were other factors that lead to his early demise, as well. I honestly think that he would have lived years longer if he had:

A). Fired Colonel Parker in the '60s and told him to fuck the hell off forever.

B). Ditched the so-called Memphis Mafia. He wised up around 1976, when he fired three of them. He should have fired most or all of them. Bunch of leeches.

C). Quit drugs (easier said than done, but...)

by Anonymousreply 21102/11/2013

I'm glad to see an Elvis thread. I was born five years after he died, but I am the biggest Presley fan I know of. My parents were major fans and I grew up on his music. Love him, love him, love him.

by Anonymousreply 21202/11/2013

Elvis's horrible diet also contributed to his heart problems. His favorite snack was peanut butter and banana sandwiches that were deep-fried in lard! His entire diet was loaded with high amounts of fat and cholesterol.

by Anonymousreply 21302/11/2013

Elvis would've been 78 years old last month. I cannot even imagine him as an elderly man.

by Anonymousreply 21402/11/2013

When Elvis was between the ages of 33 and 39, he was the sexiest man who ever lived. Total beauty and sheer charisma. Yum, Yum.

by Anonymousreply 21502/12/2013

Search for "Elvis 1956" a tv documentary. Incredible. It has the legendary and notorious performance of "Hound Dog" that enraged America. I have to admit even I was shocked when I saw it--pure, raw sexuality so intense that it is beyond me what parents must have thought.

Also, watch the 1968 special. What people forget is the ending, when Elvis sings "If I Can Dream." Imho, one of the greatest performances ever recorded. No bullshit--just Elvis pulling out all of the stops and proving what an amazing singer he was.

It's sad that he is remembered today for the Vegas schtick. There is no way you can talk about post-war American and not mention him. Lennon was right--"before Elvis there was nothing." One more thing.

You honestly don't think that anyone on "American Idol" comes close do you? LOL. The truth is that the popular culture today is such garbage.

by Anonymousreply 21602/13/2013

Thanks R210 & R211

Repeating my other question only so it doesn't get lost in the thread:

Can anyone recommend any biographic books on him that delve into his life from a psychological stand point? I would think that could be a fascinating read.

by Anonymousreply 21702/13/2013

R209 There is a book called 'Down at the End of Lonely Street: The Life and Death of Elvis Presley'. Quite a balanced look at his life from birth to death. It doesn't try to be salacious because it doesn't need to - Elvis was a complicated and interesting guy. It is a good starting point for you and a good read. Lots of great details.

Totally agree with R216. People can knock Elvis but they can't knock his voice and how charismatic he was. I would give anything to travel back in time and be at one of his shows.

by Anonymousreply 21802/13/2013

True what was said earlier about the Mafia being a bunch of leeches. And every fucking one of them (that's still alive, at least) has written a book about their "brother" Elvis.

by Anonymousreply 21902/13/2013

R216 - I agree with everything you said. Elvis was amazing. I love that "Hound Dog" performance. Scorching hot!

by Anonymousreply 22002/13/2013

Every time some asshole mentions Elvis and calls him a "racist" (a lie perpertuated by the rap group Public Enemy in 1987 - they should have been sued for that untrue slander that people have fallen for for over 25 years), I suggest that they listen to "If I Can Dream", "Walk A Mile In My Shoes", or "In The Ghetto". That usually shuts them right the hell up.

by Anonymousreply 22102/13/2013

One of my favorite Elvis moments was the scene in the original "Men In Black", where Tommy Lee Jones puts on Elvis' rocking "Promised Land" as they are racing through the tunnel. Hilarious and so much fun. "Elvis is not dead, he just went home."

by Anonymousreply 22202/13/2013

"his '60s movie schlock)"

His 60s movie "schlock" includes some great tracks: Love Me Tender, I'm Evil, Crawfish, Can't Help Falling In Love. What'd I say, Viva Las Vegas etc etc.

Poser.

by Anonymousreply 22302/13/2013

[quote]Ditched the so-called Memphis Mafia. He wised up around 1976, when he fired three of them. He should have fired most or all of them. Bunch of leeches.

Agreed. At the very end of his life, that final summer, he was stressing out enormously about the tell-all book that the fired mafia members had written about him. The stress is part of what killed him imho.

by Anonymousreply 22402/13/2013

[quote]Can anyone recommend any biographic books on him that delve into his life from a psychological stand point?

The best books about him are Peter Guralnick's two-part biography. Last Train to Memphis covers Elvis life up until he joins the army, Part Two covers his army experience up to his death.

Your other question: Elvis started on drugs in the late 1950s when there was a very different mindset about chemicals and prescriptions and science. It was the era of "better living through chemistry," and it was believed that drugs/chemicals would make your life better, the way we tend to think of herbs and organic remedies now, as totally healthy, wonderful, beneficial etc. Little was said or thought about side effects, addiction etc

Anyway, he was started on drugs by someone above him in the army (speed to help him keep alert and stay awake). Many people in the army did it. Because he was Elvis, drugs--and lots of them--were just very available to him, he was surrounded by yes men and could always get whatever he wanted. A similar situation as Michael Jackson's, I would think.

by Anonymousreply 22502/13/2013

R223 - No, I am not a poser. If you will re-read my comment "little of that includes his 60s movie schlock." I have all of the songs you mentioned on my iPod, as well as "Dirty Dirty Feeling", "Put The Blame On Me", "Flaming Star", "Follow That Dream", "A Little Less Conversation", etc. He had quite a few decent movie songs in the sixties. The "schlock" I was referring to includes insipid crap like "Confidence", "No Room To Rhumba in a Sports Car", "Yoga Is As Yoga Does", "Ito Eats", "Poison Ivy League", "Dominic", and "Song of the Shrimp". Those songs are the "shlock". I don't think there are five people on Earth who would call "Confidence" or "Yoga Is..." as classic Elvis tracks.

NOT A POSER!

THAT IS ALL.

by Anonymousreply 22602/13/2013

I think a lot of people would be surprised by the wealth of material Elvis recorded in his final years in the '70s. Just off the top of my head --

The Wonder of You, Burning Love, I've Lost You, Polk Salad Annie, My Boy, Promised Land, Steamroller Blues, Merry Christmas Baby, Hurt, T-R-O-U-B-L-E, An American Trilogy, Bridge Over Troubled Water (best version ever recorded), Way Down, I've Got A Feeling In My Body, Walk A Mile In My Shoes, I Really Don't Want To Know, And I Love You So, My Way, For The Heart, Danny Boy, Got My Mojo Working, Solitaire, and his magnificent version of Unchained Melody from 1977.

What a talent. We'll never see the likes again.

by Anonymousreply 22702/13/2013

I never really paid much attention to Elvis before. I was reading this thread and it inspired me to check out some of his tunes online. I must have listened to 75 or 80 songs. Impressed, I was. I never realized how smokin' hot the man was until I looked at some photos online. What a stud.

by Anonymousreply 22802/13/2013

I was only teasing you, r226. ;-)

And you sound like the real deal.

by Anonymousreply 22902/13/2013

He really did have amazing talent, r228. There's an all Elvis internet radio station and it's surprising how long you can listen and not be bored or tire of his music. THAT is a sign of a true artist imho.

by Anonymousreply 23002/13/2013

I'm stunned that this thread has only just appeared. This guy is tailor-made for DL. Laughing at Public Enemy being sued for slander.

by Anonymousreply 23102/13/2013

R229 Lol. That's cool.

by Anonymousreply 23202/13/2013

I haven't been on DataLounge lately. I just watched Elvis' '68 Comeback Special last night. I opened up The Lounge and the first thing I saw was a thread on Elvis. What a talent, and what a sexy man. My nephew is 15 and listens mostly to stuff like Tool, Metallica and Opeth, but he is obsessed with Elvis. He listens to him daily and also has quite the crush on The King. He has great taste, just like his favourite uncle.

by Anonymousreply 23302/13/2013

[quote]Laughing at Public Enemy being sued for slander.

Why? Accusing someone of being a racist and a thief is pretty serious. If someone accused me of being those things in public, I'd want to seek legal redress. And if it were after I died, I hope someone would do the same on my behalf to clear my name.

I think it's a good point, regardless of whether or not there's really a genuine legal case there. It was damaging untrue accusation, thrown about cavalierly.

by Anonymousreply 23402/13/2013

how the fuck did this devolve into an ELVIS thread???? Answer the question of the last poster and then pose your own.

by Anonymousreply 23502/13/2013

how the fuck did this devolve into an ELVIS thread?

It was titled "Elvis!" and the OP proposed the famous singer as a topic of discussion?

by Anonymousreply 23602/13/2013

R235 - It clearly states at the top of the thread, "ELVIS!". What the fuck else would this thread be about? Harry Styles? Bieber? Babs? Liza? I think you took a wrong turn at Albuquerque, son.

What a maroon!

by Anonymousreply 23702/13/2013

Yeah, God knows we need another One Direction, soap opera or Reality TV thread. Finally, there's a decent thread about someone who actually has talent... ELVIS!

by Anonymousreply 23802/13/2013

I also recommend Peter Guralnick's two biographies of Elvis - they're very comprehensive and both are excellent reads.

by Anonymousreply 23902/13/2013

My favorite Elvis song is "Tomorrow is a Long Time" from 1967. It was written specifically for Elvis by Bob Dylan and is one of the most beautiful tracks ever recorded by anyone. Haunting and gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 24002/13/2013

Beautiful song, R240. Hard to believe the song was not a monster hit in its day. In 1967, RCA was issuing many of his best songs of the era as 'bonus tracks' on some of his worst soundtrack albums. Case in point, 'Guitar Man' and 'Big Boss Man' were lazily tacked onto the insipid 'Clambake' soundtrack album.

by Anonymousreply 24102/13/2013

It is amazing when you listen to his voice on his early songs and then listen to some of his later recordings how much richer his voice was in his later years.

by Anonymousreply 24202/13/2013

My parents were huge Elvis fans. I grew up listening to his albums. Love that man.

by Anonymousreply 24302/13/2013

My mom accidentally ordered his "In Person at the International Hotel" live album from a mail order record club, circa 1970. I was six years old. She didn't care for Elvis, so she gave me the record. I played it forever, day and night. I've been a huge fan since then.

by Anonymousreply 24402/13/2013

I prefer his purer, early material. I love the rocking stuff like Mystery Train, Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock, One Night, Big Hunk O' Love, Too Much, I Got Stung, Baby Let's Play House, Rip It Up, Ready Teddy, Got A Lot o' Livin' To Do, Blue Suede Shoes, and so on. I agree that his voice was stronger and better later on, but those early tracks were incendiary.

by Anonymousreply 24502/13/2013

So, how was Elvis hung? I know he had lots of women. Somebody had to have talked. I know he was uncut for sure. As far as size, I have heard conflicting reports of him being either average or quite large. I picture him being average length, thicker than average. Just wish I knew first hand. In my fantasies, I was always on my knees in front of him (LOL).

by Anonymousreply 24602/13/2013

R246, I am far too discrete about such matters. Sorry, Love. Talk to Cybill Shepherd, she's not as tight-lipped as I.

by Anonymousreply 24702/13/2013

Elvis was known to rent out Memphis' Memphian theater -- all of it! -- so that he could watch private screenings of new films with his entourage. And he apparently had great taste in films, too: his favorites, in chronological order, were The Ten Commandments, Rebel Without A Cause, Dr. Strangelove, The Pink Panther and Dirty Harry movies, and The French Connection. His all-time favorite, however, may have been Patton, starring George C. Scott; he memorized every line of it and could repeat it at will. And his Dirty Harry fixation led directly to his purchase of a .44 Magnum. The last movie he saw at the Memphian was the James Bond movie, "The Spy Who Loved Me", several evenings before he died.

by Anonymousreply 24802/13/2013

R248 interesting information on his personal life at the wiki link

by Anonymousreply 24902/13/2013

No shoe shine. Although the myth persists, there is NO TRUTH to the rumor that Elvis ever made any public or private disparaging remarks about African-Americans. In fact, the most notorious remark attributed to him, about blacks being fit only to "buy my records and shine my shoes," has been FULLY disproven.

For the full story, see Snopes, dated August 10, 2007. Elvis was NOT a racist.

by Anonymousreply 25002/13/2013

R251 - Fuck you right up your dirty ass! Not one of those four are fit to wipe Elvis' ass. All four have talent, but Elvis was a phenomenon. You need to have your hearing checked if you think any of those you listed are superior to E. On a sexiness scale? None of those are even close. Timberlake, White and Ocean are not attractive at all. Chris Brown is a nasty thug.

by Anonymousreply 25202/13/2013

R251, You must be kidding. Justin Timberlake is a passable singer, but nothing special. He's ugly as all get-up. Chris Brown, not even close. Jack White, talented, but he's one of the ugliest men I've ever seen. Frank Ocean, decent singer, semi-attractive, but no. Watch Elvis' 1968 Special and see what magic is.

by Anonymousreply 25302/13/2013

There are days that I put on Elvis' music and let it play all day long. He recorded so many songs in his career that there is rarely a track repeated (unless it's an alternate version or a live version). Such variety too. Driving Rock, Blues, R&B, Rockabilly, Pop, Funk, Soul, Country, Traditional, Gospel. The man was nothing short of amazing. He truly WAS the artist of the 20th Century.

My favorite Elvis album was easily his 1969 classic, "From Elvis In Memphis". Such a wide spectrum of music, and so much passion. Perfection.

by Anonymousreply 25402/13/2013

I love "From Elvis In Memphis", R254! A great selection of tunes and every one sung with passion and fire. I have listened to that album religiously for the last 44 years. Another great album was "On Stage - February 1970".

by Anonymousreply 25502/14/2013

"Suspicious Minds" is still a killer song all these years later, and I think it's one of the best songs Elvis ever recorded.

IMHO, Elvis's best work was in the late 60s/very early 70s during and right after the time of his '68 comeback special.

by Anonymousreply 25602/14/2013

Well, the only thing I have to contribute here is my best friend in the early 1970s father served with Elvis in the army and every year, without fail, they would get a Christmas card from him. According to the dad, he was a genuinely nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 25702/14/2013

Had he lived, he wouldn't have gone the Disco route. He would have gone more Boz Scaggs, Ronnie Milsap, Emmy Lou Harris. He was far more Country than Disco. And, of course, a few more Gospel records would have been recorded.

It would have been great to see him clean up. He had a lot yet to give. Addiction sucks.

by Anonymousreply 25802/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 25902/14/2013

I love Elvis' version of "Bridge Over Troubled Water". Even Paul Simon, after seeing Elvis live in Vegas, said it was the definitive version. Another favorite was "Stranger In My Own Hometown". God, I love that song. Also "Wearing That Loved On Look" and "Long Black Limousine." "Suspicious Minds" is, to me, one of the five greatest songs ever recorded.

by Anonymousreply 26002/14/2013

Oh, the memories. Seeing you mention "Long Black Limousine" takes me back to the Summer of 1970. My first love, Patrick, was killed in a car accident and I was devastated (a little old lady with dementia was driving without a license and ran a stop sign...). I was sitting in our apartment when I got the news that he was gone. The stereo was on and the album playing was side one of "From Elvis in Memphis". At the time of the call, "Only The Strong Survive" was on. I collapsed to the floor and I remember my despair as "I'll Hold You In My Heart", "Long Black Limousine" and "It Keeps Right On A Hurtin" played. All songs about loss. It was our favorite album, but after that day I was never able to listen to it again, until recently. Now I can listen and remember all the good times we had listening to that album. I still love you, Patrick, and I love you too, Elvis!

by Anonymousreply 26102/14/2013

Beautiful story 261. My thoughts are with you. Maybe Patrick is being serenaded by Elvis as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 26202/14/2013

[quote]Personally, I was never a big fan of the whole thing surrounding him at the beginning of his career back in the 50's

Christ on a stick, how old are you???

by Anonymousreply 26302/14/2013

R263. I've been alive forever. I wrote the very first song...

by Anonymousreply 26402/14/2013

According to a NY Times book review of James Brown's autobiography (or was it biography?), Brown states that he and Elvis were very good friends and would jam together whenever thier paths crossed.

Brown is quoted as saying of Elvis, "I loved the boy."

Take that for what it's worth on Elvis as a bigot.

On a personal note, I had a very hot, erotic dream about Elvis; so hot that when I awoke I was blushing. It was so vivid that I thought if anybody saw me sleeping while I was dreaming it, they would see what I was dreaming!

by Anonymousreply 26502/14/2013

LOL, R265. Sweet dreams!

by Anonymousreply 26602/14/2013

I have erotic dreams about Elvis all the time. He is the only celebrity that has ever affected me that way. He was balls-out gorgeous, and that voice... damn.

by Anonymousreply 26702/14/2013

We're caught in a trap I can't walk out Because I love you too much baby

Why can't you see What you're doing to me When you don't believe a word I say?

We can't go on together With suspicious minds And we can't build our dreams On suspicious minds

So, if an old friend I know Drops by to say hello Would I still see suspicion in your eyes?

Here we go again Asking where I've been You can see these tears are real I'm crying

We can't go on together With suspicious minds And we can't build our dreams On suspicious minds

Oh let our love survive Or dry the tears from your eyes Let's don't let a good thing die

When honey, you know I've never lied to you Mmm yeah, yeah

by Anonymousreply 26802/14/2013

R268 Love that song. Sheer bloody poetry!

by Anonymousreply 26902/14/2013

I am all for having Elvis cloned. We need him back, damn it!

by Anonymousreply 27002/14/2013

I love Suspicious Minds too. It's my favorite song of all time.

My Top Ten Elvis Tracks ---

1. Suspicious Minds - 1969

2. Reconsider Baby - 1960

3. Such A Night - 1960

4. Jailhouse Rock - 1957

5. One Night - 1957

6. Burning Love - 1972

7. Like A Baby - 1960

8. It's Now or Never - 1960

9. After Loving You - 1969

10. The Wonder Of You - 1970

by Anonymousreply 27102/14/2013

From 'Wild in the Country'

I think this was Elvis' personal favourite movie of his.

Guys, correct me if i'm wrong.

by Anonymousreply 27202/14/2013

Thought his favorite Elvis movie was KING CREOLE.

by Anonymousreply 27302/14/2013

My favorite Elvis song ever was "A Mess Of Blues" from 1960. What a perfect jam!

by Anonymousreply 27402/14/2013

Trivia: Elvis loved "Star Trek" and "Hawaii Five-O"

by Anonymousreply 27502/14/2013

My personal favorite. The first 45 single I ever bought and the sexiest song ever.

BURNING LOVE

Lord almighty, I feel my temperature rising Higher and higher It's burning through to my soul

Girl, girl, girl You're gonna set me on fire My brain is flaming I don't know which way to go

Your kisses lift me higher Like the sweet song of a choir You light my morning sky With burning love

Ooh, ooh, ooh, I feel my temperature rising Help me, I'm flaming I must be a hundred and nine Burning, burning, burning And nothing can cool me I just might turn into smoke But I feel fine

Cause your kisses lift me higher Like a sweet song of a choir And you light my morning sky With burning love

It's coming closer The flames are now lickin' my body Please won't you help me I feel like Im slipping away It's hard to breathe And my chest is a-heaving

Lord almighty, I'm burning a hole where I lay Cause your kisses lift me higher Like the sweet song of a choir You light my morning sky With burning love With burning love Ah, ah, burning love Im just a hunk, a hunk of burning love Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love

by Anonymousreply 27602/14/2013

My favorite sexual fantasy involves me, Elvis Presley (around the age of 33), and the ingredients for his favorite sandwich, the Fool's Gold Loaf. We tear each other's clothes off madly (in the Jungle Room at Graceland) and kiss passionately on the green shag carpet. We then slather each other's body with peanut butter, jelly, butter, and bacon, etc., while Elvis' In Person at the International Hotel and Live Onstage-Feb. '70 albums play loudly on the sound system. Then it really gets nasty from there (I will spare your the erotic details).

by Anonymousreply 27702/14/2013

Damn, he was fucking fine!

by Anonymousreply 27802/14/2013

Janet's Top Ten Elvis Songs

Suspicious Minds

Hurt

The Wonder Of You

You Gave Me A Mountain

An American Trilogy

Return To Sender

Pocket Full of Rainbows

Unchained Melody

Polk Salad Annie

Tomorrow Is A Long Time

by Anonymousreply 27902/14/2013

What the hell! I guess I'll list my favorites too. I liked his rockin' stuff. When I need an energy boost or a good kick in the ass, I play these:

01 - Hound Dog (1956)

02 - Blue Suede Shoes (1956)

03 - Jailhouse Rock (1957)

04 - Money Honey (1956)

05 - Lawdy Miss Clawdy (1956)

06 - Ready Teddy (1956)

07 - Big Hunk O Love (1959)

08 - King Creole (1958)

09 - Reconsider Baby (1960)

10 - (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care (1957)

by Anonymousreply 28002/14/2013

My favorite Elvis song is "I Was The One." I have special memories of my mother when I was a child in the early '70s. She was a beautiful woman, always happy and smiling. She would clean house while playing Elvis records. "I Was The One" was her favorite. She would drop her dust rag or broom and grab either my brother or me, and would dance us around the room and sing to us until it was over. Then we would laugh, hug, and go back to whatever we were doing.

by Anonymousreply 28102/14/2013

LOL, 281. Wonderful. My mom's favorites, back in the '60s, were 'Bossa Nova Baby', 'Return to Sender' and 'Can't Help Falling In Love'. My dad left us soon after I was born and she did a magnificent job of raising my two brothers, two sisters and me, all by herself (no help from anyone and no welfare-she worked very hard). Every Saturday night we went to the local drive-in theater to see a movie and always had such fun. When Elvis movies would play, we would usually watch the movie and then stay for the second showing. She loved her Elvis. She's very old now but she still listens to Elvis every day.

by Anonymousreply 28202/14/2013

I think Mr. Presley left the greatest musical legacy of anyone who ever recorded. I am 20 year old and I think he's the greatest singer ever. I wish I had been alive when he was. Oh well. His music will last forever.

by Anonymousreply 28302/14/2013

Trying To Get To You

Too Much

Jailhouse Rock

American Trilogy

Got My Mojo Workin'

I Got A Feelin' In My Body

Don't Be Cruel

Love Me Tender

Don't

Little Sister

by Anonymousreply 28402/14/2013

I always loved ALL SHOOK UP and BLUE SUEDE SHOES. Another favorite was always AIN'T THAT LOVIN' YOU BABY. Of course, SUSPICIOUS MINDS can't be beat either. I usually do not care for Gospel music but I really loved his take on HOW GREAT THOU ART. In his last years, I would likely pick either HURT or PROMISED LAND as a favorite. That man was a wonder.

by Anonymousreply 28502/15/2013

"Mystery Train"! The Sun years!

by Anonymousreply 28602/15/2013

Some of the songs I like best are movie songs like 'One Broken Heart For Sale' from 'It Happened At The World's Fair', "It's A Wonderful Life' from 'Follow That Dream', and 'Rubberneckin' from 'Change of Habit.'

by Anonymousreply 28702/15/2013

Cracking up

by Anonymousreply 28802/15/2013

If I wanted to talk about a fat old man that died on the toilet I would just talk about my aunt Mary.

by Anonymousreply 28902/15/2013

R289, Well, son. Shuffle on back to your Harry Styles/One Erection thread.

by Anonymousreply 29002/15/2013

My Favorites ---

I Want You, I Need You, I Love You

I Was The One

A Fool Such As I

Crawfish

A Big Hunk O' Love

Baby Let's Play House

Mystery Train

Hound Dog

Lawdy Miss Clawdy

That's All Right

by Anonymousreply 29102/15/2013

When it comes to Elvis, I'm more into his later years (1970-1977). A few examples of my faves are

* Promised Land *

* Are You Sincere? *

* T.R.O.U.B.L.E. *

* Hurt *

* The Wonder Of You *

* American Trilogy *

* Way Down *

* I Got A Feelin' In My Body *

* It's Midnight *

* My Boy *

by Anonymousreply 29202/15/2013

Some of my favorite memories of childhood involved sitting on the sofa with my mom on Sunday afternoons watching Elvis movies. I can remember distinctly, around the age of twelve, getting the first inkling that I might be gay. I had seen his movies many times, but this particular time, Elvis was singing and dancing and I felt my entire body get warm and tingly, and I thought he was the most perfect looking being ever. I once fell for a gorgeous auto mechanic who looked like Elvis. Black hair, sideburns, mmmm. Pure lust.

by Anonymousreply 29302/15/2013

I'm ecstatic that there have been several mentions of one of my favorite, lesser-known Elvis songs. Makes me wanna get up and shake my ass. Love it.

I GOT A FEELING IN MY BODY -- Elvis Presley

When Moses walked the children out of Egypt land Said now don't you worry, we're in the Lord's hands He's gonna walk beside us, the time is comin' near He's gonna wash away all our misery and our fear

I got a feelin' in my body This will be our lucky day We'll be releasing all our sorrow Leave it layin' along the way

When Daniel faced the lion there wasn't any doubt You got to be like Daniel and the Lord will help us out

I got a feelin' in my body This will be our lucky day We'll be releasing all our sorrow Leave it layin' along the way

Won't you lift your eyes up children Lift them to the sky Heaven stands before you, gates are open wide Shelter for the weary, comfort for the weak We'll leave the devil's evil, sweatin' on the street

I gotta, I gotta, I gotta I got a feelin' in my body This will be our lucky day We'll be releasing all our sorrow Leave it layin' along the way

Won't you lift your eyes up children Lift them to the sky Heaven stands before you, gates are open wide Shelter for the weary, comfort for the weak Leave the devils evil, sweatin' on the street

I gotta, I gotta, I gotta I got a feelin' in my body This will be our lucky day We'll be releasing all our sorrow Leave it layin' along the way

I wanna know, I wanna know, I wanna know right now, I wanna know Yeah. yeah, I got a feel I got a feelin' I got a feelin'

Elvis, 1974

by Anonymousreply 29402/15/2013

Heartbreak Hotel, One Night, I Want You-I Need You-I Love You, Guitar Man, Suspicious Minds, If I Can Dream, Stranger In My Own Home Town, A Mess Of Blues, Reconsider Baby, Big Boss Man, That All Right.

by Anonymousreply 29502/15/2013

The perfect tribute to Elvis was written two years after his death. Freddie Mercury had spent the afternoon listening to Elvis' music. He decided to take a bath and while sitting there, wrote the Elvis-inspired "Crazy Little Thing Called Love." Freddie and Queen recorded it in 1979 and had a massive #1 hit worldwide. I Wish Elvis had lived longer. I would have loved to hear Elvis sing a version of that wonderful song.

by Anonymousreply 29602/15/2013

“I wanted to say to Elvis Presley and the country that this is a real decent, fine boy.” -Ed Sullivan, during Elvis’ third appearance on his show, January 6, 1957

“There is something magical about watching a man who has lost himself find his way back home...He sang with the kind of power people no longer expect from rock ‘n’ roll singers.” -John Landau, Review of "Elvis" (1968 TV Special)

“It was the finest music of his life. If ever there was music that bleeds, this was it.” -Greil Marcus, From his book "Mystery Train," remembering the 1968 TV Special

“So what it boils down to was Elvis produced his own records. He came to the session, picked the songs, and if something in the arrangement was changed, he was the one to change it. Everything was worked out spontaneously. Nothing was really rehearsed. Many of the important decisions normally made previous to a recording session were made during the session. What it was was a look to the future. Today everybody makes records this way. Back then Elvis was the only one. He was the forerunner of everything that’s record production these days. Consciously or unconsciously, everyone imitated him. People started doing what Elvis did.” -Bones Howe, Recording Engineer, as quoted in Jerry Hopkins’ 1971 book, "Elvis, A Biography"

“A lot of people have accused Elvis of stealing the black man’s music, when in fact, almost every black solo entertainer copied his stage mannerisms from Elvis.” -Jackie Wilson

“He was an instinctive actor...He was quite bright...he was very intelligent...He was not a punk. He was very elegant, sedate, and refined, and sophisticated.” -Walter Matthau, who co-starred with Elvis in "King Creole," from a 1987 interview

“Before Elvis, there was nothing.” -John Lennon

“I wasn’t just a fan, I was his brother. He said I was good and I said he was good; we never argued about that. Elvis was a hard worker, dedicated, and God loved him. Last time I saw him was at Graceland. We sang Old Blind Barnabus together, a gospel song. I love him and hope to see him in heaven. There’ll never be another like that soul brother." -James Brown

"I remember Elvis as a young man hanging around the Sun Studios. Even then, I knew this kid had a tremendous talent. He was a dynamic young boy. His phraseology, his way of looking at a song, was as unique as Sinatra's. I was a tremendous fan, and had Elvis lived, there would have been no end to his inventiveness." -B.B. King

by Anonymousreply 29702/15/2013

R296, great story, I didn't know Elvis inspired that song. It makes sense though. I always thought CLTCL was a bit of a detour from Queen's usual stuff.

I've always loved the jaunty beat of Return to Sender.

I'm not a proper Elvis fan but I was a kid in the 80's who for awhile, listened to oldies' radio exclusively (I then discovered new wave). So I heard a lot of the Elvis' standards. This thread is inspiring to look further into his discography.

by Anonymousreply 29802/15/2013

"His kind of music is deplorable, a rancid smelling aphrodisiac...It fosters almost totally negative and destructive reactions in young people." -Frank Sinatra, 1956

"There have been many accolades uttered about Elvis' talent and performances through the years, all of which I agree with wholeheartedly. I shall miss him dearly as a friend. He was a warm, considerate and generous man." -Frank Sinatra, August 1977

"If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead." -Johnny Carson

"The highlight of my career? That's easy, Elvis recording one of my songs (Tommorow Is A Long Time)." -Bob Dylan

"The first time I met him I was blown away, I just looked at him and said, 'damn, son, you about the best looking thing I ever did see, kinda wish I was a girl right now, Elvis." -Jerry Reed

"No one, but no one, is equal, or ever will be. Elvis was and is supreme." -Mick Jagger

"The first concert I attended was an Elvis concert when I was eleven. Even at that age he made me realize the tremendous effect a performer could have on an audience." -Cher

"Elvis is the best ever, the most original. He started the ball rolling for us all. He deserves the recognition." -Jim Morrison in 1969

"Elvis was God-given, there's no other explanation. A Messiah comes around every few thousand years, and Elvis was it this time." -Little Richard

"When we were kids growing up in Liverpool, all we ever wanted to be was Elvis Presley." -Paul McCartney

"Elvis Presley's talent brightened millions of lives. He widened the horizons of my world certainly. The first record I ever owned was a 78 rpm of "Hound Dog" backed by "Don't Be Cruel" and when I listened to those tunes I felt about ten feet tall and I grinned so hard that I felt like the corners of my mouth would meet in the back and the tip of my head would simply topple off. All I know about Rock and Roll is that it makes people feel good. Elvis Presley more than made me feel good, he enriched my life and made it better." -Stephen King

by Anonymousreply 29902/15/2013

"Elvis is a major hero of mine. I was probably stupid enough to believe that having the same birthday as him actually meant something." -David Bowie

"Elvis is my man." -Janis Joplin

"Elvis will never contribute a damn thing to music." -Bing Crosby, 1956

"The things Elvis has done during his career and the things he has contributed and created are really something very important to the music business." Bing Crosby, (Eating his words in 1973)

"Describe Elvis Presley? He was the greatest who ever was, is or ever will be." Chuck Berry

"When I was 13, I saw Elvis perform live and I suddenly understood what sex is all about. I was screaming at the top of my lungs." -Raquel Welch

by Anonymousreply 30002/15/2013

"Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine." -Elvis Presley

"I ain't no saint, but I've tried never to do anything that would hurt my family or offend God...I figure all any kid needs is hope and the feeling he or she belongs. If I could do or say anything that would give some kid that feeling, I would believe I had contributed something to the world." -Elvis commenting to a reporter, 1950's.

“Don’t criticize what you don’t understand, son. You never walked in that man’s shoes.” -Elvis often used this adaptation of a well-known quotation.

“I’ve never gotten over what they call stagefright. I go through it every show. I’m pretty concerned, I’m pretty much thinking about the show. I never get completely comfortable with it, and I don’t let the people around me get comfortable with it, in that I remind them that it’s a new crowd out there, it’s a new audience, and they haven’t seen us before. So it’s got to be like the first time we go on.” -From a 1972 taped interview used in MGM’s documentary "Elvis on Tour"

“The first time that I appeared on stage, it scared me to death. I really didn’t know what all the yelling was about. I didn’t realize that my body was moving. It’s a natural thing to me. So to the manager backstage I said, ‘What’d I do? What’d I do?’ And he said “Whatever it is, go back and do it again.” -From a 1972 taped interview used in MGM’s documentary "Elvis on Tour"

"My mother, she never really wanted anything. She stayed the same through it all. There are a lot of things that have happened since she passed away. I wish she could have been around to see them. It would have made her very happy and proud, but that's life, and I can't help it." - Elvis

"I never felt poor. There were always shoes to wear and food to eat -- yet I knew there were things my parents did without just to make sure I was clothed and fed." - Elvis

"We were an affectionate family. My mother was the most wonderful person in the world. I always felt a little bit lonely --- maybe a better word would be 'incomplete' --- when I was little. But I could tell my mother about it, how I felt and then the feeling would go away. I suppose it might have been different if my brother had lived. But he didn't live, and I grew up alone. I guess my mother --- and my father, too, of course -- were trying to make up for that by giving me enough love for both." - Elvis

by Anonymousreply 30102/15/2013

"You only pass through this life once; you don't come back for an encore." - Elvis

"I enjoy reading. I don't usually read the type of books other people read. I read a lot of philosophy and some poetry. I just read a book 'Leaves of Gold.' It's by different people and their different philosophies on life and death. That type of stuff interest me, getting these different people's opinions." -Elvis

"To judge a person by their weakest attribute is like judging the ocean by 'one' wave." -Elvis

"I don't think I'm bad for people. If I did think I was bad for people, I would go back to driving a truck, and I really mean this." -Elvis

"Maybe it was the sideburns, but I just didnt fit in." (Elvis speaking about his youth)

"The closest I ever came to getting married was just before I started singing. In fact, my first record saved my neck." - Elvis, late '50s

by Anonymousreply 30202/15/2013

"I'm not trying to be sexy. It's just my way of expressing myself when I move around." -Elvis

"I knew by heart all the dialogue of James Dean's films; I could watch Rebel Without a Cause a hundred times over." - Elvis

"I hope I didn't bore you too much with my life story." - Elvis

"It says here "Elvis, we're to film you from the waist up. You are not to touch hands with body... uh, I mean body with hands (laughs)." -Elvis, '68 Comeback Special

“Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't going away.” - Elvis

"When things go wrong, don't go with them.” - Elvis

"Values are like fingerprints. Nobody's are the same, but you leave 'em all over everything you do” - Elvis

"If you let your head get too big, it'll break your neck.” - Elvis

"The image is one thing and the human being is another. It's very hard to live up to an image, put it that way.” - Elvis, 1972

by Anonymousreply 30302/15/2013

On May 11, 1974, Led Zeppelin (Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Bonham) attended Elvis Presley's evening concert at the Los Angeles Forum. During the concert, Elvis stopped a song and jokingly said: 'Wait a minute... If we can start together fellas, because we've got Led Zeppelin out there... let's try to look like we know what we're doing, whether we do or not'.

Bandmembers met Elvis when Zep's promoter at the time, Jerry Weintraub, took Jimmy Page and Robert Plant up to Presley's Las Vegas hotel suite. For the first few minutes, Elvis ignored them.

Jimmy Page—who had first picked up a guitar after hearing 'Baby Let's Play House' on overseas radio—began to fidget. What was going on? Did he really want to meet them? Should they say something? Elvis finally turned to them. 'Is it true', he said, 'these stories about you boys on the road?' Plant answered, 'Of course not. We're family men. I get the most pleasure out of walking the hotel corridors, singing your songs'. Plant offered his best Elvis impersonation. 'Treat me like a fool, treat me mean and cruuuuel, but looooove me...'. For a moment Elvis Presley eyed them both very carefully. Then he burst out laughing. Then his bodyguards burst out laughing. For two hours he entertained them in his suite. Elvis was a big fan of 'Stairway to Heaven'. 'I liked it', said Presley. Later, walking down the hallway from the hotel room, Page and Plant congratulated themselves on a two-hour meeting with the King. 'Hey', came a voice from behind them. Presley had poked his head out the door and sang, 'Treat me like fooool...'.

by Anonymousreply 30402/15/2013

Alice Cooper has revealed that Elvis Presley's obsession with guns could have come to an abrupt and ironic end by his hands in a Las Vegas hotel room in 1971. According to Cooper, "The King" asked the young star to point a gun at his head during their bizarre meeting, to display his prowess in martial arts.

The shock-rocker recalled the strange gathering in Presley's penthouse suite. Cooper said, "He had the penthouse -- this was when he was at the top of his game. I had always been a fan, so I jumped at the chance to go upstairs and meet him. When I got to the elevator I found it was me, Liza Minnelli and the porn actress Linda Lovelace."

Once inside things got stranger still. Cooper continued, "Elvis took me into the kitchen, opened a drawer and pulled out a loaded pistol, telling me to put it to his head. I recognized it right away, a snub-nose .32. I didn't know what to do. I had this gun in my hand and was expecting one of his security to come in any second, see me holding a weapon and shoot me dead.

"A little voice in my left ear was telling me, 'Go on, this is history, kill him, you'll always be the guy who killed Elvis.' In my other ear was another voice saying, 'You can't kill him, it's Elvis Presley -- wound him instead, you'll only get a few years!'"

Thankfully for Cooper he didn't have to worry for too long. "A fraction of a second later Elvis did a flying kick on the gun, and sent it flying, before tripping me and pinning me to the ground by my neck, announcing, 'That's how you stop a man with a gun, baby", and laughed.

(LOL, Elvis, Alice Cooper, Liza, and Linda Lovelace all in one room. I would have killed or died to be a fly on the wall).

by Anonymousreply 30502/15/2013

HE WAS DIVINE. HIS STAR WILL NEVER FADE AWAY. HE WAS SO ORIGINAL IN HIS PERFORMANCES. HIS VOICE GIVES EVERYONE GOOSEBUMPS.

by Anonymousreply 30602/15/2013

"A Star Is Born" was co-produced by Barbra Streisand and her then-partner Jon Peters for Barwood Films and Warner Brothers, with Peters as the main producer and Streisand as executive producer.

Both Streisand and Peters wanted Elvis Presley for co-starring role. They met with Elvis in March of 1975 and discussed the film, and he was interested in taking on the part, thinking it would revive his film career. Elvis' manager, Colonel Tom Parker, insisted that Elvis have top billing and asked for a substantial sum of money for the role, even though Presley had not had an acting role since 1969, and people were unsure of what kind of box office draw he would be, which essentially ended Elvis's involvement with the project.

Col. Parker also did not want to have Elvis portrayed as having a show business career that was in decline. This in fact was far from the truth, with Elvis playing to sold-out, packed auditoriums from coast-to-coast wherever he toured in the States at the time.

by Anonymousreply 30702/15/2013

Seeing the movie story above reminded me of something I read recently that I found interesting.

“When Marlon Brando bowed out of “Bus Stop”, starring Marilyn Monroe, the role was offered to Elvis Presley. It could have been a career-defining move in Hollywood for Elvis. Many producers in Hollywood salivated at the prospect of Elvis and Marilyn in the same movie. But his manager, Colonel Tom Parker, turned down the juicy role, preferring Elvis to remain in the exploitation films he selected for him”

Elvis’ film career was the most frustrating part of his life. After ”Wild in the Country,” Lee Strasberg, the celebrated dramatic coach of the most illustrious talents of theatre and films, such as James Dean, Marlon Brando, Marilyn Monroe, Al Pacino and Dustin Hoffman, told colleagues that Elvis was a 'great talent going to waste.'

by Anonymousreply 30802/15/2013

Cher admitted she had a fling with Elvis Presley between her marriages to Sonny Bono and Gregg Allman. She claims she rejected him when he asked her up to his room because, due to her inner insecurities, she was nervous about spending the night with him.

I'll bet that Cher kicks herself in the ass about that at least once a day. They would have created a beautiful baby. Sad, prior to Elvis, she was getting boned by fugly Sonny Bono, after Elvis she was getting schtuped by even-fuglier Gregg Allman. Regrets, she's had a few, but then again, too few to mention...

by Anonymousreply 30902/15/2013

Liza Minnelli reminisced about the time when she met Elvis Presley. She bumped into him while watching a show in Los Angeles and he invited her and some pals back to his hotel suite. They expected a wild party, and were amazed by what actually happened.

“A group of us, including Alice Cooper, Chubby Checker and Linda Lovelace were there and Elvis disappeared,” she explained. “Then suddenly the door flies open and he's there in full karate dress shouting, 'Hi-Ya,' and kicking in the air. He was great. A very sweet and funny man.”

by Anonymousreply 31002/15/2013

Elton John: I remember so well the day my mother came home with a copy of Elvis Presley's "Heartbreak Hotel". She said she'd just heard it in the record shop and she knew she had to buy it straight away. So she put it on for us both to listen to and I'd never heard anything like that before in my whole life.

It completely changed the way I listened to music forever. It was just so primal. Everything before was beautiful arrangements and bands and singers and this was like ... (very long pause) ... I'd never been around music like that, music that was so powerful. I'd certainly never heard an electric guitar played like that. I'd heard Les Paul and Mary Ford, but never heard anyone play like that. The echo on the record! Wow! I hadn't been around stuff like that. There wasn't anything else around like that, at least not in my family. There were no obscure blues singers or anything of that kind. The weird thing was, that week I'd been in the hairdressers in Pinner Green looking at 'Life' magazine and I'd seen a picture of this man I assumed must have come from outer space, but that was Elvis Presley. When I put the two together it was astonishing. He looked amazing and he sounded amazing and it changed everything for me. It was rock 'n'roll! This was what I wanted to be.

by Anonymousreply 31102/15/2013

Ed Asner: Elvis was very nice to work with. I worked with him twice. I worked with him on 'Kid Galahad', and I worked with him on 'Change of Habit'. In 'Kid Galahad', his hands were all bandaged and broken up because he was in his karate stage at that time, breaking bricks. But he was a delightful young man to be around, never offensive, always seemed to work hard. Then in 'Change of Habit', he was a different young man at that point and seeming to be concentrating very seriously on being an actor. A delight.

by Anonymousreply 31202/15/2013

I read a quote about Elvis in a magazine while waiting for my dental appointment last week.

"Barry White heard Elvis' "It's Now or Never" in 1960 when he was in jail for stealing tires. The song had such an impact on White, that it convinced him to pursue a career in music."

by Anonymousreply 31302/15/2013

LOL. In the song 'Jailhouse Rock', the line, "Number 47 said to number 3, You're the cutest jailbird I ever did see, I sure would be delighted with your company, come on and do the 'jailhouse rock' with me" was a sly reference to prison sex but was not offensive enough to create any controversy over the song.

by Anonymousreply 31402/15/2013

One of my favourite songs ever was Alannah Miles' "BLACK VELVET". It is about Elvis Presley.

lyrical analysis:

"Jimmy Rogers on the Victrola up high" - Jimmy Rogers, an early Blues singer, influencing Elvis at an early age. The Victrola is the record player, played loudly.

"Mama's dancin' with baby on her shoulder" - Gladys Presley dancing with the infant Elvis.

"Black velvet and that little boy's smile" - You can buy a black velvet Elvis painting at any respectable yard sale. Early female fans were drawn to his "Little boy smile."

"Black velvet with that slow southern style" - Elvis delivered some of his songs with slow, undulating hips.

"Up in Memphis the music's like a heatwave" - Sun Studios. The epicenter of early Rock music and where Elvis recorded.

"Mama's baby's in the heart of every school girl" - A reference to the baby in the early part of the song, being loved by all the young girls.

"Love Me Tender leaves 'em cryin' in the aisle" - Love Me Tender was a huge hit for Elvis in 1956.

"The way he moved, it was a sin, so sweet and true" - Elvis' legendary hips swivel, the Pelvis.

"Every word of every song that he sang was for you. In a flash he was gone, it happened so soon, what could you do?" - Elvis died suddenly in 1977.

by Anonymousreply 31502/15/2013

R315 I love Black Velvet. In all the years I have listened to the song it never clicked about the Elvis connection. After listening to Alannah's song for 23 years, I learned something I never knew about it. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 31602/15/2013

Here's a song about Elvis that's not so obvious and it might surprise you.

'PERSONAL JESUS' by DEPECHE MODE - The song was inspired by the book 'Elvis and Me' by Priscilla Presley. According to Mode songwriter Martin Gore:

It's a song about being a Jesus for somebody else, someone to give you hope and care. It's about how Elvis was her man and her mentor and how often that happens in love relationships; how everybody's heart is like a god in some way, and that's not a very balanced view of someone, is it?

by Anonymousreply 31702/15/2013

R315, It's actually Alannah MYLES. But I do love that song. Thank you for reminding me of it.

by Anonymousreply 31802/15/2013

My top Elvis song of all-time would be 'Surrender'. I love the way it builds and builds to an explosive climax. I also love 'Are You Lonesome Tonight'.

by Anonymousreply 31902/15/2013

I always loved Trying To Get To You.

by Anonymousreply 32002/15/2013

"He was an integrator, Elvis was a blessing. They wouldn't let black music through. He opened the door for black music." --Little Richard

"Nothing really affected me until I heard Elvis. If there hadn't been an Elvis, there wouldn't have been the Beatles." --John Lennon

"Even back then, when people would laugh at his sideburns and his pink coat and call him 'sissy' -- he had a pretty hard road to go. In some areas motorcycle gangs would come to the shows. They would come to get Elvis, but he never worried about it. He went right out and did his thing and before the show was over, they were standing in line to get his autograph too." --Carl Perkins

"You can't be greater than Elvis, change things as much as the Beatles, or be as original as Led Zeppelin. All you can do is rip them off." --Billy Corgan

"My favorite artists have always been Elvis Presley and The Beatles and they still are!" -Johnny Ramone

by Anonymousreply 32102/15/2013

Definitely gay.

by Anonymousreply 32202/15/2013

My parents met Elvis at the International Hotel in Las Vegas in 1970. They both said he was the nicest man you could ever meet. My mother said that as beautiful as he was in pictures and movies, he was far sexier in person. My dad even said Elvis was the most perfect specimen of manhood that you could ever find. They were already fans, but after meeting him they were fanatics. They had their picture taken with him and it still hangs framed above their fireplace.

by Anonymousreply 32302/15/2013

TRIVIA: Elvis’ natural hair color was blond (in his early years) and light/dirty brown; he dyed it black.

by Anonymousreply 32402/15/2013

I always thought it was interesting that Elvis never saw the movie "Jailhouse Rock" after its completion. During filming, he had become very close to his co-star Judy Tyler. Their relationship was purely platonic, as she had just gotten married. Right after the movie was completed, she and her husband finally went on their honeymoon. They were killed in a car accident on the way to their destination. He could never bring himself to watch the movie. Likewise, he never watched his movie "Loving You" after the death of his mother. Gladys appeared in the film as an audience member during one of his character's concert performances.

by Anonymousreply 32502/15/2013

If I were your parents R323 I'd have that photo printed on mugs and t-shirts! How cool!

by Anonymousreply 32602/15/2013

I was surprised to find out that Elvis had a long friendship with Liberace. I never knew that. As a matter of fact, it was Liberace who convinced Elvis to design his '70s jumpsuits to be more glittery and flamboyant. I never would have believed the story, but I saw quite a few pictures of them together over the years in an Elvis photo book.

by Anonymousreply 32702/15/2013

I love this homoerotic photo of Elvis and Johnny Mathis.

by Anonymousreply 32802/15/2013

I was slightly familiar with most of Elvis' major hits but this thread has inspired me to look deeper. I have been listening to him all day online. I am amazed how much great material he recorded. This man was something else.

by Anonymousreply 32902/15/2013

R328, Sexy photo. I love it!

by Anonymousreply 33002/15/2013

I became an Elvis fan in 1975. I was ten years old. I was into the big rock acts of the time like Kiss and Alice Cooper. My parents listened to Elvis. I liked some of his early songs but, to me, he was 'old people's music' (even though my parents were only in their 30s that seemed old to me). My parents came home one day with Elvis concert tickets for the whole family. I was none-too-excited. I begrudgingly went and I am thankful every day that I did. I had never seen anything like it. That concert was an epiphany. By the time the show was halfway over, I was a major fan. I still am to this day. I thank my parents for sharing the magic of 'The King' with me.

by Anonymousreply 33102/15/2013

Last year Elvis' daughter Lisa Marie listed her favorite Elvis songs on iTunes. I found it to be a pretty good list.

1.Just Pretend

2.Mary In the Morning

3.How Great Thou Art

4.Polk Salad Annie

5.It's Over

6.You Gave Me a Mountain

7.Such a Night

8.An American Trilogy

9.I'm Leavin'

10.Until It's Time for You to Go

11.Ku-U-I-Po

12.Kentucky Rain

(I would definitely list Polk Salad Annie on my list too. It's hilarious. I love that song)

by Anonymousreply 33202/15/2013

My vote for Elvis' best song:

"Wearing That Loved On Look" / Elvis - 1969

I had to leave town for a little while You said you'd be good while I'm gone But the look in your eye dun told me you told a lie I know there's been some carryin' on

Baby, you're wearin' that loved on look Shoop, shoop, shoop, shoop Baby, you're wearin' that loved on look

The ash trays are all full of ashes The floor needs a touch of the mop There's a man downstairs with a long bushy hair He said your party was a three days long

Baby, you're wearin' that loved on look Shoop, shoop, shoop, shoop Baby, you're wearin' that loved on look

Baby, if you ever loved me Then Bonnie and Clyde loved the law Well, a bird can't fly and I don't like apple pie And trees won't grow in Arkansas

I had to leave town for a little while You said, you'd be good while I'm gone But the look in your eye dun told me you told a lie I know there's been some carryin' on

Baby, you're wearin' that loved on look Shoop, shoop, shoop, shoop Baby, you're wearin' that loved on look Shoop, shoop

by Anonymousreply 33302/16/2013

R332 -- I love "Polk Salad Annie" too. I love when he performed it in his concert film "That's The Way It Is" - Elvis was so funny. A natural comedian.

by Anonymousreply 33402/16/2013

“I felt a real special relationship to Elvis Presley because he came from Mississippi, he was a poor white kid, he sang with a lot of soul. He was sort of my roots — “Heartbreak Hotel” and “Hound Dog” and “Don’t Be Cruel” and “Love Me Tender,” that was sort of the beginning of the awakening of America to rock and roll.”

-President Bill Clinton, 1997

by Anonymousreply 33502/16/2013

"Elvis Presley was the sweetest, most humble and nicest man you'd want to know" by Muhammad Ali

"I'm sitting in the drive-through and I've got my three girls in the back and this station comes on and plays "Jailhouse Rock", the original version, and my girls are jumping up and down, going nuts. I'm looking around at them and they've heard dad's music all the time and I don't see that out of them" by Garth Brooks

"Elvis was the only man from Northeast Mississippi who could shake his hips and still be loved by rednecks, cops, and hippies. by Jimmy Buffett

"Elvis Presley was the first and the best. He's my favorite of all time." by President Bill Clinton

"I had always wanted to be like Elvis, to be a rock 'n' roll star, but I couldn't sing, so I joined a mod band instead." by Roger Daltrey (The Who)

"Without Elvis, you're nothing." by Madonna

"Before Elvis, everything was black and white. Then came Elvis. Zoom! Glorious technicolor." by Keith Richards

(About Elvis' version of 'Bridge Over Troubled Water'): "It was unbelieveable, and I thought to myself, how the hell can I compete with that?" by Paul Simon

"I think Elvis was the sexiest man to ever walk the earth. I love him" by Britney Spears

"Elvis is my religion. But for him, I'd be selling encyclopedias right now" by Bruce Springsteen

"I love his music because he was my generation. But then again, Elvis is EVERYONE's generation, and he always will be" by Margaret Thatcher

by Anonymousreply 33602/16/2013

My Top Ten Elvis Songs =

1. Jailhouse Rock

2. Hound Dog

3. Don't Be Cruel

4. Suspicious Minds

5. Burning Love

6. A Little Less Conversation (JXL Remix)

7. Can't Help Falling In Love

8. Surrender

9. All Shook Up

10. Love Me Tender

by Anonymousreply 33702/17/2013

Most fans are aware that Elvis was offered some plum acting roles in his lifetime, chief among them the role Kris Kristofferson would play opposite Barbra Streisand in the second remake of A Star Is Born. But few know that director Robert Wise originally chose Elvis to play Tony in the landmark musical West Side Story. The Colonel, as usual, interfered, saying the role was wrong for his meal ticket. The producers then auditioned Warren Beatty, Tab Hunter, Anthony Perkins, Burt Reynolds, Troy Donahue, Bobby Darin, Richard Chamberlain, and Gary Lockwood before settling on Richard Beymer. Elvis would have been required to sing "Something's Coming" and "Tonight".

by Anonymousreply 33802/17/2013

It's a real shame Elvis had to hook up with Colnel Tom Parker. His career, especially his career in films, would have been so much better without him.

by Anonymousreply 33902/17/2013

ELVIS was obsessed with the British TV comedy series MONTY PYTHON and spent hours impersonating characters from the show, according to former girlfriend Linda Thompson. Thompson says, "He'd be doing perfect imitations of all the characters, all the voices, which is mind-boggling. He'd even do the ladies voices. It was a riot. In addition to the TV series, one of his favorite movies was 'Monty Python & The Holy Grail."

by Anonymousreply 34002/17/2013

Elvis' warmth and easy humor in his comeback special only highlights the sociopathic, narcissistic coldness of today's corporate performing drones. Begone auto-tuned illumanti androids! PRAISE THE KING!

by Anonymousreply 34102/17/2013

Elvis greatly admired his good friend, singer Jackie Wilson. When Jackie Wilson had a stroke in 1975 leaving him unable to perform and hospitalized, Elvis paid Wilson’s medical bills.

Another of Elvis’ friends James Brown is re-known for having an incredibly strong personality, supporting the struggle for Black Rights, and someone who wouldn't take any racist bullshit off anyone he met.

Coincidentally James Brown was charting with ‘Say it Loud, I'm Black & I'm Proud’ at the same time Elvis was recording 'In The Ghetto'. There would be no chance of James Brown spending any time with Elvis had he shown any racist tendencies and they stayed friendly acquaintances throughout the years. James Brown was so moved by Elvis' death that he requested, and was allowed, time alone with Elvis as he lay in his coffin at Graceland. James Brown was also the first entertainer to arrive at Elvis' funeral.

"We were friends for a long time, for twenty years. And he told me, he’d ride around Memphis around the streets he’d come up in, all alone at night. Ride around on his motorcycle when he was sure the rest of the world was asleep, just kind of hauntin’ them places he hung around in as a kid. He was a country boy and a good man." – James Brown.

by Anonymousreply 34202/17/2013

In 2003 Myrna Smith, one of Elvis' backup singers (with the Sweet Inspirations) from 1969-1977 was interviewed and was asked her about Elvis' supposed racism.

Interviewer - Some people like to make out that Elvis was racist in some ways. Is the story true that on a Texas Tour in the early '70s the promoters didn't want Elvis working with black backing singers and Elvis made the stand saying, "No Sweet Inspirations, No Elvis!"?

Myrna Smith - "That's the story. And the promoter's daughter was made to drive us in an open convertible to the stage! So that promoter never defied Elvis again! In fact, I don't think that we never worked with him again anyway. I know that no matter what color I was Elvis would have loved me just the same. As far as he treated me, there was not racist bone in his body. I mean in the early days he even sneaked into those black gospel churches in Memphis, which would have taken a lot of nerve. White boys just wouldn't go there, it was a brave thing to do but he was just determined."

by Anonymousreply 34302/17/2013

Elvis and Sammy Davis, Jr. had a friendship that lasted nearly 20 years. They first met on the set of 'Loving You' in 1957 and were, for a time, considered to be co-stars in the movie 'The Defiant Ones'.

Sammy Davis, Jr. noted in his autobiography that missing out on the chance of acting with Elvis in 'The Defiant Ones' was one of the great disappointments in his career and has discussed his friendship with Elvis with real affection.

'The Defiant Ones' was an Oscar winning 1958 move where the roles eventually went to Tony Curtis and Sidney Poitier.

by Anonymousreply 34402/17/2013

I read a piece a while back on Elvis' movie career. I was amazed by some of the roles he was offered, and turned down for some reason or other (usually Col. Parker's veto).

The Rainmaker (1956) - Was up for a role and Col. Parker asked for too much money.

Thunder Road (1958) - Robert Mitchum desperately wanted Elvis in the film. He begged Elvis and Elvis wanted the role. Once again, Col. Parker asked for too much money.

Sweet Bird of Youth (1962) - Elvis wanted the role of Chance Wayne, a gigolo and drifter. Col. Parker refused to let Elvis play a shady character. The role went to Paul Newman.

Valley of the Dolls (1967) - Author Jacqueline Susann wanted Elvis for the part of Tony Polar. The Col. vetoed.

Midnight Cowboy (1969) - Director John Schlessinger desperately wanted Elvis to play Joe Buck. Elvis wanted the part desperately. He begged Col. Parker, but Parker refused. He didn't want Elvis playing the part of a man with "homosexual tendencies." Upon the Colonel's veto, Elvis was disgusted at not being able to play the parts he wanted, so he decided to finish his film contract and to retire from movies. Jon Voight took the part and won an Oscar.

The Godfather (1972) - Elvis was a huge fan of Mario Puzo's novel and wanted to play the part of Tom Hagen. Negotiations fell through and the part went to Robert Duvall.

The most surprising to me was "Being There". The producer and director wanted Elvis for the part of Chauncey Gardner. Col. Parker refused, once again. The project ended up being temporarily shelved. In 1979, two years after Elvis' death, the project was revived and filmed, and starred Peter Sellers to massive success and acclaim.

Other parts that Elvis turned down (because of Col. Parker): West Side Story, Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, The Defiant Ones, Your Cheatin' Heart & A Star Is Born. Ah, what could have been.

by Anonymousreply 34502/17/2013

Someone mentioned the remix of A Little Less Conversation. Last night, my friends and I were at our favorite club and out of nowhere the DJ played that song. The dancefloor erupted. Prior to that song, there were maybe 10 couples on the floor, when they played Elvis the whole club poured out onto the floor. It was crazy.

by Anonymousreply 34602/17/2013

I've been looking at pictures of him online today. What a stud! Damn, he was sexy. I think he was sexiest in his 30s 1965-1975. Yowsah!

by Anonymousreply 34702/17/2013

I grew up in the seventies. My parents were Elvis fans, so his music was always playing in our house. I liked him then, but I really grew to appreciate him later when my musical taste expanded. He's now my favorite singer. My dad always loved 'An American Trilogy'. We played it at his funeral five years ago. It was a beautiful tribute to both my dad and Elvis, whom he loved so much.

by Anonymousreply 34802/17/2013

R348, My dad loved American Trilogy, too. When I hear the song mentioned I always think of him. I love seeing Elvis perform the song on the Aloha from Hawaii special from 1973. He was so sexy in the video and you could tell by the expression on his face how much he loved performing that song. I think of the instrumental break toward the end of the song where they show Elvis in profile. Sweat is dripping off his nose and he is so into performing and getting off to his wonderful band performing. You can see the adrenaline pumping. What a glorious song!

by Anonymousreply 34902/17/2013

I still remember vividly the day he died (I was 12 years old). I was watching TV in the late afternoon (I think it was a Hogan's Heroes rerun) and the promo for the evening news said, "Singer Elvis Presley, dead at 42. Coming up next." I was floored. To this day, Elvis is the only celebrity death I have cried over. I had been a fan since the 1973 Aloha from Hawaii TV-special and I remember going to my bedroom, closing the door and losing it. He was one of a kind.

by Anonymousreply 35002/18/2013

Why didn't Marlene Dietrich fuck Elvis? She fucked everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 35102/18/2013

R351, I think she was nearly 60 when Elvis hit the scene. I doubt he would have been too keen on boning her ass at the time. LOL. I would have thought that Marilyn Monroe would have made a play for him though.

by Anonymousreply 35202/18/2013

My sister mentioned once that Elvis and Natalie Wood were fucking for a while back in the '50s. That would've been cool to see.

by Anonymousreply 35302/18/2013

Cybill Shepherd claimed to have fucked Elvis but you really can't believe anything she says. She contradicts herself in interviews so much. I would like to think that Elvis had better taste than to shag Cybill. I hope he never boinked her.

by Anonymousreply 35402/18/2013

That's funny. I was just listening to Elvis and when I opened Datalounge he was the first thread I saw. I just finished listening to my fave Elvis song, Are You Lonesome Tonight?. I have the iPod on shuffling Elvis songs and now it's playing Love Letters. I'm home all alone so I guess it's just me and Elvis for the night.

by Anonymousreply 35502/18/2013

What a singer. The older he got, the better he got. There have been some great singers in the years since his death, but none can touch Elvis.

by Anonymousreply 35602/18/2013

r352, Dietrich was fucking into her 70s - many many men of all ages. In her 60s, she even did a young Jack Kennedy.

by Anonymousreply 35702/18/2013

I know that at the beginning Elvis didn't smoke. Do you know if he took to smoking later?

by Anonymousreply 35802/18/2013

He occasionally smoked cigars, as when Lisa Marie was born or when partying with the boys in the Memphis Mafia. I don't think that qualifies as 'being a smoker' in the sense you're asking though. He tried pot once or twice I believe, but remained pretty much anti-street drug throughout his life. His thing was really prescription drugs.

by Anonymousreply 35902/18/2013

R359, thanks for replying baby. Thank you a lot.

by Anonymousreply 36002/18/2013

MY FAVORITE...

POLK SALAD ANNIE - by Elvis Presley (1970)

Some of ya'll never been down South too much... Some of ya'll never been down South (laughs) I'm gonna tell you a little story, so you'll understand where I'm talking about. Down there we have a plant that grows out in the woods and the fields, and it looks something like a turnip green. Everybody calls it Polk salad. Now that's Polk salad. Used to know a girl that lived down there and she'd go out in the evenings to pick a mess of it, carry it home and cook it for supper, 'cause that's about all they had to eat, But they did all right.

Down in Louisiana Where the alligators grow so mean Lived a girl that I swear to the world Made the alligators look tame

Polk salad Annie 'Gators got your granny Everybody said it was a shame For the mama was working on the chain-gang What a mean, vicious woman

Everyday before suppertime She'd go down by the truck patch And pick her a mess of Polk salad And carry it home in a tote sack

Polk salad Annie 'Gators got you granny Everybody said it was a shame 'Cause the mama was working on the chain-gang Whoo, how wretched, dispiteful, straight-razor totin' woman, Lord have mercy.

Sock a little Polk salad to him Yeah, you know what, yeah, yeah

But daddy was a lazy and a no-count Claimed he had a bad back All her brothers were fit for Was stealing watermelons out of my truck

For once Polk salad Annie 'Gators got your granny Everybody said it was a shame For the mama was working on the chain-gang

Sock a little Polk salad to him You know what meets a meal mention You sock a little Hey, hey, hey, yeah, yeah Chic a bon, chic a bon, chic a bon bon bon bon Chic a bon, chic a bon, chic a bon bon bon bon Sock a little Polk salad to him You know what meets a meal mention Sock a little Polk salad to him You know what meets a meal mention Chinc, chinc, chinc, chin, ling, ling ling

by Anonymousreply 36102/18/2013

R361, I love that song, too. It's hilarious. I love to watch him perform it in "That's The Way It Is". I laugh so hard. What a gorgeous hunk-a man!!!

by Anonymousreply 36202/18/2013

Elvis - "Big Boss Man" (1967)

Big boss man, can't you hear me when I call? Big boss man, can't you hear me when I call? Can't you hear me when I call? Well you ain't so big, you know you're just tall that's all, All right Well you got me workin' boss man Workin' round the clock I wanna little drink of water But you won't let big Al stop Big boss man now can't you hear me when I call? All right I said you ain't so big, you know you're just tall that's all

Big boss man, why can't you hear me when I call? All right You know you ain't so big, I said you're just tall that's all, All right I'm gonna get me a boss man One who's gonna treat me right I work hard in the day time Rest easy at night Big boss man, can't you hear me when I call? Can't you hear me when I call? I said you ain't so big, you're just tall that's all I'm gonna get me a boss man One that's gonna treat me right I work hard in the evenin' Rest easy at night Big boss man, big boss man, can't you hear me when I call? I said you ain't so big, you're just tall that's all All right, big boss man It's all right

by Anonymousreply 36302/18/2013

I wish Colonel Parker had died while Elvis was in Germany in the late-50's. I think Elvis would have had a great decade in the '60s and ESPECIALLY the '70s, if the Colonel had just done the world a favor and croaked circa 1958.

by Anonymousreply 36402/18/2013

R364. I agree. I think the Colonel was good for Elvis in the pre-army years. By the time Elvis returned, the Colonel was seeing dollar signs and didn't care about integrity. I wish Elvis had had the confidence to ditch the Colonel. I know that by the mid-70s, Elvis and the Colonel loathed one another and Elvis did fire the Colonel around 1974/75, but didn't have the confidence to go it alone, so he rehired him after a few months.

When Joe Esposito called Col. Parker to inform him that Elvis had died, the Colonel replied, "Oh, no. My God!" After a pause, he said, "Well, this changes nothing. We'll move forward." What a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 36502/18/2013

My Favorite Elvis Tracks -

1 - Suspicious Minds (Live 1969)

2 - Mystery Train/Tiger Man (Live 1969)

3 - Guitar Man

4 - Big Boss Man

5 - A Mess Of Blues

6 - Reconsider Baby

7 - Jailhouse Rock

8 - My Babe (Live 1969)

9 - Crawfish

10 - It's Now Or Never

by Anonymousreply 36602/18/2013

Trouble

Suspicion

I Need Your Love Tonight

I Got Stung

T.R.O.U.B.L.E. (different 'Trouble' than the first one I listed)

Rubberneckin' (Remix)

A Little Less Conversation (remix)

Hound Dog

Jailhouse Rock

One Night --- MY FAVE ELVIS SONG EVER!!!!

by Anonymousreply 36702/18/2013

HEARTBREAK HOTEL

HOUND DOG

I WANT YOU, I NEED YOU, I LOVE YOU

DON'T BE CRUEL

LOVE ME TENDER

ALL SHOOK UP

JAILHOUSE ROCK

DON'T

I BEG OF YOU

(NOW & THEN THERE'S) A FOOL SUCH AS I

A BIG HUNK O LOVE

by Anonymousreply 36802/18/2013

I tend to prefer his bluesy stuff. These would be my favorites...

01 Reconsider Baby

02 Got My Mojo Working/Keep Your Hands Off Of It

03 Merry Christmas Baby

04 Like A Baby

05 A Mess Of Blues

06 Such A Night

07 My Babe

08 Steamroller Blues

09 Put The Blame On Me

10 I Feel So Bad

by Anonymousreply 36902/18/2013

Blue Moon (his version was eerie and haunting, love it)

And I Love You So

Surrender

It's Now Or Never

Are You Lonesome Tonight?

Love Me Tender

Hurt

The Wonder Of You

Make The World Go Away

I've Lost You

She's Not You

Spanish Eyes

by Anonymousreply 37002/18/2013

My favorite Elvis song was 'Always On My Mind' from 1972. Poignant and beautiful. Ten years later, Willie Nelson did a country version of it, but I didn't like his version that much. The same with another favorite, "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" from 1975. Elvis' version was incendiary, a rocking fire-storm. Country singer Travis Tritt had a hit country version in the early '90s, but he sheared all the balls off of the song when he redid it. Elvis' version rocked and cooked with fire. Elvis was the master!

by Anonymousreply 37102/18/2013

I so agree with r341. Looking at Elvis's concert clips on Youtube, he had so much charisma, personality and warmth (and of course talent) that today's pop acts just aren't even in the same league. Elvis was such a unique, singular talent there is nobody even remotely close to him today.

by Anonymousreply 37202/18/2013

I almost jizz my shorts whenever I watch Elvis in the 'Return to Sender' video. Oh, my God! There is nothing sexier. That sexy body, that lusty look on his face. Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 37302/18/2013

R373, that's the way I felt as a young teen watching the 1968 Comeback Special on TV. I sat on the floor with a throw pillow on my lap so my family wouldn't notice my throbbing erection. He looked so hot in that TV Special. I've never seen a man look hotter.

by Anonymousreply 37402/18/2013

Amen, R374! Same here.

by Anonymousreply 37502/18/2013

Elvis was a perfect specimen of manhood. The mold was definitely broken after him. There will never be another. My favourite Elvis tune will always be 'Hound Dog'. Almost 57 years after it was released, it still sounds fresh and rockin'.

by Anonymousreply 37602/18/2013

Britney was on track to become the female Elvis before her troubles last decade. Maybe it's not too late, since she'll be doing Vegas...

by Anonymousreply 37702/18/2013

It's a shame Elvis if was 100% straight. God, he was one hot stud. I can think of at least 10,000 things I would have done with him sexually. I hope he was at least bi. Damn! Damn! Damn!

by Anonymousreply 37802/18/2013

"Always on My Mind" is especially poignant because he recorded it around the time Priscilla left him.

by Anonymousreply 37902/19/2013

I know, r378. Elvis was by all accounts 100% straight. I've never heard any bi stuff about him, although I'm sure Johnny Mathis probably tried his best lol!

by Anonymousreply 38002/19/2013

Elvis was my first gay crush when I was around 8 years old (circa 1969). My favourite song by him will always be 'Tiger Man' (the version from the '68 Comeback Special). It first appeared on a budget album called "Elvis sings Flaming Star & Others". I played that album so much as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 38102/19/2013

R349, that's one of my favorite moments of Elvis on tape also.

Of course Bob Dylan did NOT write "Tomorrow is a Long Time" specifically for Elvis, R240. But he did say that Elvis's recording was his favorite cover (of a Dylan song).

R209 asked about bios from a psychological standpoint...

"Elvis Presley: A Life" by Bobbie Ann Mason adds understanding of the period southern and religious aspects of his upbringing.

"Treat Me Nice: Elvis, His Music and the Frankenstein Creature" by Howard Jackson (see Amazon UK) is highly recommended, from a psych standpoint takes on both Elvis's viewpoint and ours, meaning the societal/cultural view of him. Also excellent music coverage.

I think "Last Train" is superior to "Careless Love". The latter much more often parrots single sources in a superficial manner. Some believe (and I concur) that Guralnick's relationship with EPE for the second book led to some compromising esp. events involving Parker and Priscilla. Also he doesn't cover the music to the degree a bio of this stature should, it's overall just more removed, more workmanlike. LT is probably definitive but CL isn't.

My favorite Elvis songs today:

A Mess of Blues Any Way You Want Me Anyplace is Paradise Bossa Nova Baby Doin The Best I Can I Beg of You I Got Stung I'll Hold You In My Heart I Need Somebody to Lean On It Hurts Me Just Pretend Love Me Paralyzed Polk Salad Annie See See Rider Such a Night Suppose Suspicion That's All Right Trying To Get To You

by Anonymousreply 38202/19/2013

I would have let Elvis be my Teddy Bear any time. Yummy.

by Anonymousreply 38302/19/2013

Just for fun, back in the '70s, a friend of mine, who was an amazing singer and musician, recorded a version of Donna Summer's "Love To Love You Baby" as Elvis would have sung it. Hilarious. He really sounded exactly like Elvis and he did the entire song (moans, groans and all), using the original music from Donna's song with his voice replacing hers. My friend had a wonderful sense of humor. He used to play that reel-to-reel tape at parties and I swear, if he had released it commercially, it would've been a hit. I still have the tape in storage somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 38402/19/2013

Hahahaha great idea. That does sound hilarious R384. :)

For a completely different type of hilarious, there is Eilert Pilarm, the Swedish Elvis Impersonator. He got six albums out of it.

by Anonymousreply 38502/20/2013

He left his fortune to his father? What do you know about Elvis Presley's will?

by Anonymousreply 38602/20/2013

Interesting: According to Elvis' assistant, Marty Lacker:

Karen Carpenter's sole meeting with Elvis was in his dressing room in Las Vegas and there was about 12 people in the room. Elvis, Karen and her brother Richard, me and another guy were sitting at the big round table in the middle of the room and Karen was a bit of demanding arrogant, smart ass. Elvis said a few words to her and she interrupted him and shoved a stuffed doll she had with her towards him and said in a demanding way,"Sign This." I looked at Elvis and he had that look in his eye when he looked at me as if to say, "who the hell does she think she's talking to." Her brother sat there the 15 minutes they were there absolutely silent and it was easy to see she was the dominant of the two. Elvis then said to her,"I'll be happy to if you ask nicely and not demand that I do it."

by Anonymousreply 38702/20/2013

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during The Beatles meeting with Elvis in 1965 at Elvis' L.A. home. I wish recordings existed of their historic jam session. I know for sure that they played The Beatles' song "I Feel Fine", based on reports. I'll bet it peeled the paint off the walls.

by Anonymousreply 38802/20/2013

Elvis and the Beatles... that would have been something. My two all-time favorite acts.

by Anonymousreply 38902/20/2013

R389...YES, Elvis and The Beatles made the difference by being original and heartfelt in their songs. It wasn't only the songs. It was their approach too. They were giving life and fever to their performances! ENERGY!

by Anonymousreply 39002/20/2013

In August of 1965, Elvis and then girlfriend, Priscilla, met the Beatles at the door of Elvis’ L.A. home, and the group moved to the smaller of two den areas, which was equipped with a large Color TV (which The Beatles marveled at… they had never seen one), a stereo system and a bar. As everyone found a place, there was an awkward lull. The two greatest rock ‘n’ roll acts in the world were finally together, face to face. Now what was supposed to happen?

The Beatles were in awe, and Elvis’ presence put things on a certain level, and I think the Beatles could feel that. But Elvis knew how to handle it. He said, “If you guys are just going to sit around and stare at me, I’m going to bed.” That broke the ice and got a laugh out of everybody. Right away, the Beatles understood that Elvis was a guy with a sense of humor and a guy who really loved crazy British humor. It wasn’t too long before John and Elvis were talking about Peter Sellers and quoting favorite scenes from "Dr. Strangelove". Harrison was so nervous, he kept ducking out to the pool area with Memphis Mafia members to smoke pot.

With the mood loosened up, Elvis showed off one of his musical past-times to Lennon and McCartney, plugging a Fender bass into an amp to play along to records. Charlie Rich’s “Mohair Sam” was a favorite that summer, and Elvis nailed the boogeying bass line. There were guitars in the house, and there are varying accounts as to what extent the rock luminaries jammed, though a few Beatles songs were jammed. A few ‘50s oldies, not Elvis tunes, getting a run-through, though the left-handed McCartney had trouble doing much with a guitar strung for a right-hander.

by Anonymousreply 39102/20/2013

JOHN LENNON'S ACCOUNT OF THAT NIGHT:

Elvis tried to make us feel at home. He sat - Paul and me on one side of him and Ringo on the other. George sat cross-legged on the floor. A huge colour television was on in the middle of the room with the sound off, while a record player was playing the latest tunes. We could have just walked in on an average Elvis-at-home evening. Elvis obviously liked to treat everybody he met the same, whoever they were. He finally broke the silence that had fallen over the room. Look, guys', he said, 'if you're just going to sit there and stare at me, I'm going to bed'. He smiled, and we all laughed. 'Let's talk a bit, huh?' he went on. One of Elvis' staff brought us drinks, but while we all drank scotch-and coke or bourbon-and-Seven Up, Elvis only had Seven Up. He didn't touch any of the cigarettes that were offered around, either. Elvis took a bass guitar, and I took a rhythm guitar. George was busy looking over his instrument, and it was a few minutes before he joined in. If I remember correctly, it was Cilla Black's hit record 'You're My World' that we first got off together. After that I said, 'This beats talking, doesn't it' -- and we had at last found a way of communicating through music. Only Ringo looked a bit left-out. He could only watch us and drum on the side of his chair. 'Too bad we left the drums in Memphis', Elvis said, as if trying to console him.

by Anonymousreply 39202/20/2013

During a night of clubbing in his hometown of Memphis, Al Green dashed to the men's room to relieve himself. While there, he recognized another well-known Memphian.

"I was standing there at the urinal and I thought this fella looked like Elvis, so I asked him," Green said. "He said, 'I am Elvis Presley and you sure look like Al Green.'"

Green said he wanted to shake Presley's hand, but it didn't seem like the right time.

by Anonymousreply 39302/20/2013

After a 1976 gig in Memphis, Bruce Springsteen hopped the Graceland wall at 3:00 A.M., hoping to meet his idol, Elvis Presley. Just as he was about to knock on the front door, though, a guard stopped him, and Springsteen was quickly escorted off the property.

by Anonymousreply 39402/20/2013

Late movie icon NATALIE WOOD once pleasured herself with one of ELVIS PRESLEY's entourage after the King refused to have sex with her.

The stunning actress courted Presley on and off while he shot LOVE ME TENDER in 1956, and one night attempted to bed the rock superstar.

But 20 minutes into the romp, Wood came storming out of Presley's bedroom, accusing the singer of being "a homo" because he wouldn't have sex with her.

Presley's pal BYRON RAPHAEL was "forced" to make love to the frustrated actress instead, outside the singer's room.

He recalls, "'What's the matter with your boss?' she demanded, glaring at me. 'Doesn't he know how to screw? He's all hands and no action.'"

But Raphael insists Presley felt that full sex before marriage was a sin and feared he'd tear his foreskin if he indulged in anything but fellatio and masturbation. He felt he couldn't explain that to angry Wood.

He adds, "She kept on raving, 'I thought he was supposed to be the king of the sack... What's Elvis going to do, tell his buddies I'm not sexy enough for him?"

Wood then called Elvis and the members of his entourage "a bunch of homos" before demanding Raphael prove he didn't fit that category, in Presley's living room.

He remembers, "All of a sudden it hit me that I was actually fucking Natalie Wood."

by Anonymousreply 39502/20/2013

R395, I came across this recently.

According to Linda Thompson, a longtime girlfriend of Elvis, the superstar was great in bed. Linda, who dated Elvis for four years, responded to a question about Presley's skills in bed, saying he had "serious skills." Testimonies about Elvis' sex skills and prowess from his relationships have, however, been conflicting. One of Elvis Presley's girlfriends during the early years of his career Natalie Wood, once responded to a columnist's question about her romance with Elvis, saying, "He can sing but can't do much else." Although some of his girlfriends such as Anne Helm, said he was good in bed, it seems that Presley's sexual prowess was exaggerated to match his public image as a "sex symbol." Some of his early girlfriends Judy Spreckels and June Juanico , said he never had sex with them. Byron Raphael with Alanna Nash, in their In Bed with Elvis, published on Playboy Magazine in 2005, said, "He was far more interested in heavy petting and panting and groaning, some oral" and "he would never put himself inside one of these girls.. and within minutes after he’d be asleep." This claim seems confirmed by Playboy star and actress June Wilkinson, who claimed that when Elvis invited her to his hotel suite, he sat her on the bed and sang for two hours, and "that was it." Another woman who knew Elvis, Peggy Lipton, said he was "virtually impotent," and blamed his "impotence" on his boyishness and heavy drug abuse in the mid-‘70s. Cassandra "Elvira" Peterson, one of Elvis's one night stands, says all they did was talk all night. His wife, Priscilla Presley , has also admitted that Elvis was not "overtly sexually active" with her.

by Anonymousreply 39602/20/2013

What did Elvis Presley like in bed?

One answer is “the costars of his movies.” But the King loved to introduce the ladies to “Little Elvis,” and many of them wrote tell-all books, so we know a fair bit about his preferences. Some of them are unsurprising: Presley liked girls who could give “great head,” for example. Others confirm his status as a gentleman: his chosen method of birth control (with the few women he trusted to have intercourse with) was to pull out and finish with his hand. And some of Presley’s proclivities are legendary: he liked ladies in lacy white panties, with some pubic hair coming out the sides. His biggest turn-off was women who were mothers; if he found out a girlfriend had ever had a baby, he lost all sexual interest in her. This is why he showed so little interest in Priscilla after Lisa Marie was born.

As he got older, Presley sometimes just wanted a girl to sleep with – literally. He found it easier to fall asleep if there was a woman in the same bed. Presley preferred petite women; he especially didn’t want them to have large hands or feet. And although he was straight, Presley handled passes from gay men very kindly and gracefully, usually turning them down by saying, “Hey, that just ain’t my style, baby.”

by Anonymousreply 39702/20/2013

R396 Hell, if Elvis had taken me to his room, sat me on the bed and sang to me for two hours, sex or no sex, I would feel like the luckiest man on earth. Can you imagine sitting on Elvis' bed being serenaded by the sexiest voice in recorded music? Damn.

And, I know... MARY!

by Anonymousreply 39802/20/2013

I know several flight attendants who had Elvis on flights to Hawaii and they said he was always a gentleman and very generous. If you admired a ring or watch he was wearing he would take it off and say, "Here, it's yours".

by Anonymousreply 39902/20/2013

'Swing Low Sweet Chariot' is one of his performances i love the most. It makes me happy and i shiver a lot with his voice and with the lovely energy Elvis gives to this song.

by Anonymousreply 40002/20/2013

Hell, I think if the man had merely nodded his head and said hello to me that I would have instantly creamed my jeans. I saw him in concert (fifth row, center) when I was 18, in 1974, and I had a boner for nearly the entire show (had to keep my t-shirt untucked). He looked so sexy, and those moves... I felt like the luckiest man alive, just by breathing the same air as him for two hours.

by Anonymousreply 40102/20/2013

My fave Elvis Jams ---

A Mess Of Blues

Jailhouse Rock

Suspicious Minds

I Want You, I Need You, I Love You

One Night

Hound Dog

Such A Night

Tomorrow Is A Long Time

Steamroller Blues

Heartbreak Hotel

Mystery Train

by Anonymousreply 40202/20/2013

The. Sexiest. Man. Who. Ever. Lived.

Fucking Scorchingly gorgeous.

I would have licked him from head to toe, back and forth, all night long.

The ultimate stud of all time.

I LOVE ELVIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 40302/20/2013

My parents took me to see him in 1976. I was very young (11) but I am thankful for having seen him every day. By '76 he had put on weight but he still looked sexy. His voice was stronger than ever. Still the greatest concert event of my life and I have been to hundreds. The only other concert that came close was Queen in 1982.

by Anonymousreply 40402/20/2013

R404 My parents took my siblings and I to see Elvis at the Astrodome in Houston in February of 1970. I was 8 years old. It's my most vivid memory of my childhood. A Hot show. My parents were big Elvis fans and I heard his music all the time, but I became a life-long fan that day.

by Anonymousreply 40502/20/2013

Elvis slept with nearly all of his female co-stars. Mary Tyler Moore was the only one who turned him down.

by Anonymousreply 40602/21/2013

R406 I always knew there was something a little "off" about her. LOL. Just kidding, I love Mare. I can't imagine why she wouldn't shuck off her panties and get busy with him. I've read her reasons, but... THAT'S ELVIS FUCKING PRESLEY!!! I'm far from promiscuous, but given the chance to make sexy time with Elvis, I'd get on the stick ASAP (so to speak). He was the walking/talking definition of male sexuality. I wasn't a bad looking guy in my youth but I would have killed to have been half as hot as Presley was in 1969.

by Anonymousreply 40702/21/2013

Judy Tyler from "Jailhouse Rock" reportedly turned him down too, R406. She had just gotten married before filming started. They became very close friends, though. Unfortunately, after filming wrapped, she and her husband went on a belated honeymoon and were both killed in a car accident. Elvis was shattered and never saw "Jailhouse Rock." It was too painful for him to watch.

Somehow I doubt that he and Donna "Ellie May" Douglas rocked the trailer together either. She was a religious fanatic and VERY strange. I do think they were friends, but I don't think they bumped uglies.Maybe, but I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 40802/21/2013

I just know Elvis fucked the living shit out of Ann-Margret every chance he got. I would kill or die to see THAT sex tape. I am as gay as a man can be but Ann-Margret was so sexy I think I could have fucked her. I'm not bisexual at all but Elvis and Ann-Margret could be my all-time threesome fantasy (next to my threesome fantasy with Elvis and Robert Conrad).

by Anonymousreply 40902/21/2013

I read Elvis amd Me many years ago. One of the odd tidbits I recall was Priscilla finding a bunch of letters from groupies,one of them was signed "Lizard Tongue".

by Anonymousreply 41002/21/2013

Some purists prefer Carl Perkins' original of Blue Suede Shoes. I like his version, but I think Elvis' version has more energy, power, and stronger, more rockin' vocal. I worship Elvis' version.

BLUE SUEDE SHOES - Elvis Presley (1956)

Well, it's one for the money, Two for the show, Three to get ready, Now go, cat, go.

But don't you step on my blue suede shoes. You can do anything but lay off of my blue suede shoes.

Well, you can knock me down, Step in my face, Slander my name All over the place.

Do anything that you want to do, but uh-uh, Honey, lay off of my shoes Don't you step on my blue suede shoes. You can do anything but lay off of my blue suede shoes.

You can burn my house, Steal my car, Drink my liquor From an old fruit jar.

Do anything that you want to do, but uh-uh, Honey, lay off of my shoes Don't you step on my blue suede shoes. You can do anything but lay off of my blue suede shoes.

Well, it's one for the money, Two for the show, Three to get ready, Now go, cat, go.

But don't you step on my blue suede shoes. You can do anything but lay off of my blue suede shoes.

by Anonymousreply 41102/21/2013

R411 - Scotty Moore's screaming guitar solos rip like a mother-fucker on that song, too. Elvis and his band were cooking with grease on that jam. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 41202/21/2013

During the sessions for the Darkness On the Edge of Town album, one of his greatest ever, Bruce Springsteen recorded over 20 additional songs that didn’t make it onto the finished product. Among them was a somewhat bizarre sounding love song called “Fire.” What made it bizarre was that it didn’t really sound like anything Springsteen had ever released up to that point. There was good reason for that—he wrote the song with the intention of having Elvis record it.

Unfortunately, a lethal combination of years worth of prescription drug and fried peanut butter sandwich abuse intervened and Elvis never got to take a shot at it. Instead, it was recorded and released by The Pointer Sisters, who scored a number two hit on the pop charts in early-1979 with their version.

Elvis' version would have likely been ballsier and a bit more rocking and would probably have gone to #1.

Other songs Elvis should have recorded, if he had lived longer, in my opinion:

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me (Elton), Tiny Dancer (Elton), Heroes (Bowie), Hey Joe (Hendrix), Rip This Joint (The Stones), Wild Horses (The Stones), Can't Get It Out Of My Head (E.L.O.), Riders On The Storm (The Doors), We've Got Tonight (Bob Seger). Someone mentioned Zep's Whole Lotta Love. That would have been interesting.

by Anonymousreply 41302/21/2013

I always wanted to hear Elvis sing "Rainy Night in Georgia". His voice was perfect for that song. In his 1972 concert documentary, Elvis on Tour, he is being interviewed in a limo. He starts singing the chorus of the song. I would have loved hearing his rich, soulful voice pouring the song out, while playing piano, in front of a sold-out arena audience.

Incidentally, my favorite Elvis songs are:

Down In The Alley from 1966, Surrender from 1961, A Mess Of Blues from 1960 and his live version of Unchained Melody from 1977.

by Anonymousreply 41402/21/2013

I have often wondered what Elvis would have recorded if he had lived into the 1980s and beyond. It's hard to picture him singing Olivia's 'Physical', Sheena Easton's 'Morning Train (9 to 5), Ozzy's 'Crazy Train' (that would be interesting) or Duran Duran's 'Hungry Like The Wolf'. I would also hope he would not have recorded his own versions of country dreck like Kenny Rogers' 'Lady' or Johnny Lee's 'Wookin' Pa Nub'. I vomit at the thought of the King recording his own version of 'We Built This City', 'Wake Me Up Before You Gogo', Van Halen's 'Jump',or 'Walk Like An Egyptian'. I shudder to think. Maybe it's best that he died in '77, LoL.

by Anonymousreply 41502/21/2013

Definitely Rainy Night in Georgia, that seems like a natural for him. It would've been very sexy.

by Anonymousreply 41602/21/2013

I would have loved to hear him do Rainy Nt. in Ga.

by Anonymousreply 41702/21/2013

R409 That would be a hella fantasy threesome - with 1960s-era Elvis Presley and Robert Conrad. Jeez! My loins are getting hot just trying to imagine that. I guess Elvis would be a top, I've heard Conrad's a bottom. Sounds extremely hot!

by Anonymousreply 41802/21/2013

Barbara McNair turned him down too.

by Anonymousreply 41902/21/2013

I'm a 49 year old Lez and even I would not have turned down a shag with Elvis. He's the only man I have ever found close to sexually attractive. He was a beautiful man with a beautiful voice.

by Anonymousreply 42002/21/2013

Best concert I ever saw. April 1972. He was at the top of his game. His DNA needs to be gathered and cloned. We NEED Elvis Back, damn it!

by Anonymousreply 42102/21/2013

Britain's Q magazine (The Essential music guide) recently selected the finest voices in music history.

Presented as a list of the 100 Greatest singers, their 10 greatest songs were also nominated.

Johnny Cash made #14, Roy Orbison #23, Ray Charles #24, Tom Jones #71 and Smokey Robinson #95.

Here are the top ten with you-know-who at Number One!

1. Elvis Presley

2. Aretha Franklin 3. Frank Sinatra 4. Otis Redding 5. John Lennon 6. Marvin Gaye 7. Kurt Cobain 8. Robert Plant 9. Mick Jagger 10. Jeff Buckley

by Anonymousreply 42202/22/2013

Favorite Elvis Songs

1. That's All Right - Scotty Moore's stinging guitar helps take the boy where nobody had been before. 2. Baby, Let's Play House - So excited by the prospect of some naughtiness, he even acquires a stutter. 3. Mystery Train - Junior Parker's dark, ghostly original re-imagined as a pulsating, rocker. 4. Heartbreak Hotel - No reservations necessary as he convincingly sobs his way to his first million-seller. 5. One Night - Scorching hot stuff for 1958, leaving nobody in any doubt just what he's "praying for". 6. Jailhouse Rock - Irresistible Leiber & Stoller rocker, with a frantic Elvis shaking everything he's got. 7. It's Now Or Never - His version of 0 Sole Mio owing plenty to Mario Lanza, an unlikely Presley hero. 8. In The Ghetto - Beautifully poised, with just the right amount of anger and feeling to prove that he really cared. 9. Suspicious Minds - Proving that when given a song he truly believed in, he made it his own completely. 10. I just Can't Help Believin' - Recorded live in Las Vegas, Elvis the mature balladeer at his most commanding and awesome.

Honorable Mention:

Burning Love - His 1972 chart-topping single seethed sexuality and we could feel the burning in our own loins. Sung with such passion we could burn a hole where we lay.

by Anonymousreply 42302/22/2013

ORIGINAL LEAD-GUITARIST SCOTTY MOORE

Interviewer: How would you rate Elvis as a guitarist?

Scotty Moore: Fair. He had a great sense of timing and rhythm. He didn't know a whole lotta chords, but those he knew, he really could use 'em. And he'd play a little bass, a little drums...He had rhythm in his voice, he just had a natural thing about that. He could hear a song, and he knew what he could do with that song. And nobody else could do it. They're still imitating him today but they just can't do it right. They just don't have whatever it is that Elvis had.

by Anonymousreply 42402/22/2013

Scotty Moore was one bad ass guitarist. He cooked on those 50's/'60s tracks. James Burton, his lead guitarist from 1969-1977 was damn good too. Elvis Presley was the real deal. A good man, a great vocalist, a master showman and was gorgeous as hell.

My Favorite Elvis Jams -

It's Now Or Never

A Big Hunk Of Love

Jailhouse Rock

Hound Dog

Too Much

One Night

Tomorrow Is A Long Time

(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame

Little Sister

Ain't That Lovin' You Baby

by Anonymousreply 42502/23/2013

I watched his 1969 American-Spaghetti Western, "Charro", on TV the other day. I thought, besides being so fucking hot in the movie (love the beard), Elvis was pretty damned good as the hero. He did a pretty good acting job. The movie itself was entertaining (could have been great with a better director). Victor French played the villain and was quite good in the part. With a little tweaking here and there, that could have been a classic western. I still enjoy it a great deal. The title song, "Charro", was a kick ass song, too.

by Anonymousreply 42602/23/2013

R426, I liked that movie when I was in my early teens. I remember seeing it on the big screen back when it came out. I had a big crush on Elvis and one thing I loved about Charro was that it was very evident throughout the movie that Elvis was not wearing underwear under his pants. I noticed that right off, the first time I saw the film. Schwing!!!

by Anonymousreply 42702/23/2013

Actually, R427, Elvis rarely wore underwear, period. This is very evident in most of his movies, especially in the '60s when pants were much tighter. It always gave me a thrill. Still does when I catch his flicks on the telly.

by Anonymousreply 42802/23/2013

He was astonishing. That's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 42902/23/2013

Sweet Sweet Spirit

Lovely

by Anonymousreply 43002/23/2013

I watched about twenty Elvis videos this afternoon online. Elvis was fucking amazing.

by Anonymousreply 43102/24/2013

“Wait for me” photo of Elvis Presley before going into the Army

by Anonymousreply 43203/13/2013

Did Elvis ever met Marlon Brando or Marilyn Monroe?

by Anonymousreply 43303/19/2013

I'm 18. I just discovered Elvis about six months ago by accident. He was fucking amazing.

by Anonymousreply 43403/19/2013

Elvis ripped off Tony Joe White.

by Anonymousreply 43503/19/2013

R435 No, he didn't rip him off. He covered a couple of his songs, but White was paid royalties for songwriting. Say what you will about Elvis, but he wasn't a thief. Colonel Parker was a shitass, but Elvis was straight-up and the real deal.

by Anonymousreply 43603/19/2013

Here's TJW in a recent interview about Elvis. Take special note of the last line:

" Elvis’ producer Felton Jervis was a good friend of mine during the early days in Nashville. All of a sudden I released ‘Polk’ and it was a big hit single and then Felton called and invited my wife & me out to Las Vegas to see Elvis perform. He flew us out just to let us see Elvis do it live on stage! He did a good version of it, which of course he recorded for the live album. We hung out with Elvis for 2 or 3 days and just sat back in the dressing room and talked. We played a little guitar together – he really liked music. Elvis said, “Man, I feel like I wrote that song”. I said “You know, the way you do it on stage, it feels like you wrote it”. Elvis always treated me real good."

Why do people like r435 feel at liberty to make up any shit that comes to mind and then try to pass it off as a fact? It boggles my mind.

by Anonymousreply 43703/19/2013

Isn't it strange that Elvis never seemed to met Marilyn Monroe? They were both America's favourite idols and it's strange that Elvis hadn't met her until she died in 1966. Why so?

Brando was trashing Elvis and i think that's why they never met. But with Marilyn why they never met??????????????

by Anonymousreply 43803/19/2013

I'm not an Elvis fan but love that his cult exists. He was a true sexual liberator. And he was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 43903/19/2013

Marilyn died in 62.

by Anonymousreply 44003/19/2013

Ok, sorry, she died in 1962, alright. However, there was still time for her and Elvis to meet each other, don't you think, R440?

by Anonymousreply 44103/20/2013

Marilyn preferred older worldly men. She had no interest in pretty vulnerable boys like Elvis or Jimmy Dean. She responded to the illusion of stability in a man - a father figure.

by Anonymousreply 44203/20/2013

She slept with Brando though who was not much older from her

by Anonymousreply 44303/20/2013

She never slept with Brando. They were very good friends but more like siblings. Same with Monty. These guys loved Marilyn like a sister.

by Anonymousreply 44403/20/2013

But it is written that she slept with Marlon!

by Anonymousreply 44503/20/2013

Elvis did take sleeping pills, because he felt that he needed eight to 10 hours of sleep to perform well. Not too long before he died, he had a very complete physical examination. The doctors discovered that he had some liver damage, a colon problem and high blood pressure. He took prescribed medicine for his blood pressure and may have taken an occasional painkiller.

by Anonymousreply 44603/22/2013

The Last Kiss - elvis-and-priscilla-presley Photo

by Anonymousreply 44703/22/2013

i have a never ending love for the way he sung, the way he performed. A gifted, extraordinary singer.

by Anonymousreply 44803/22/2013

E-L-V-I-S-

P-R-E-S-L-E-Y

W-A-S

T-H-E

S-E-X-I-E-S-T

M-A-N

E-V-E-R

!-!-!-!-!

by Anonymousreply 44903/22/2013

R449 Agreed!

by Anonymousreply 45003/22/2013

What do you think of 'Elvis' the TV movie with Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Elvis?

by Anonymousreply 45103/31/2013

I can see why Meyers was hired but it mostly sucked, especially the performing scenes (where it was Meyers specifically who sucked).

There hasn't been a decent Elvis bio yet - i.e. one that came anywhere near to reflecting his actual personality.

by Anonymousreply 45203/31/2013

My funeral/memorial instructions contain a directive to have the audio of this played at some time during the service. It will be the only music.

That's right; even in death I'll be a manipulative bitch. I want'em bawling.

by Anonymousreply 45303/31/2013

R452, yes Meyers sucked at the performing scenes, true. Especially at the end of the movie by 'performing' If I Can Dream. He was like a spastic in that scene. Certainly Elvis was not performing this way. Lol.

But, as an actor Meyers is a good one. He managed to look like Elvis sometimes, the profile of his face reminded me of Elvis's at certain times of the film and he did a nice job with the speaking voice of Elvis(certainly not the singing though!)

by Anonymousreply 45403/31/2013

By the way, does anybody know how old was Priscilla when Elvis actually deflowered her?

Lol...

by Anonymousreply 45503/31/2013

Artist of the Century is not exaggeration at all. THIS MAN WAS THAT.

by Anonymousreply 45603/31/2013

I'M LOOKING FOR THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 45703/31/2013

~~~~~~~~~

by Anonymousreply 45804/02/2013

Define artist r456. I'll give you entertainer.

by Anonymousreply 45904/02/2013

R459 He was an artist. This man gave magic to simple songs with his expressive voice and his powerful stage presence. If you don't call that art, then you are deaf. His voice could be velvet and powerful, strong and dynamic as well. That's art for a singer. He had a versatile voice and personally i have never been moved so much by a male voice, like i have been touched by Elvis'.

by Anonymousreply 46004/03/2013

If Robert Pattinson (of Twilight fame) put on about 25 pounds and dyed his hair black - he could play a young Elvis.

by Anonymousreply 46104/03/2013

I just watched 'Jailhouse Rock'

Omg, Judie Tyler was just a natural beauty and a very expressive actress. Had she lived longer she could have been certainly more famous and she could have even won some awards for her presence in movies. I read that Elvis was infatuated with her and that he was devastated when he learned about her death. He refused to watch this movie because of Tyler's tragic accidental death in a car wreck July 4, 1957, three days after filming was completed. Does anybody of you know more about that?

It's also so tragic that Judy,as the leading lady of this film never made it to see the premiere of 'Jailhouse Rock' because she died in this terrible car accident before its release.

by Anonymousreply 46204/05/2013

Interview with Lance LeGaule who at the beginning was a double for Elvis Presley movies. He talks about 'Roustabout':

Barbara Stanwyck was terrific! Elvis liked her a lot. I had lunch with her one day on the set simply because we got in line side by side.

We had a lot of fun doing Roustabout. Elvis and I rode around the cow pasture on those Hondas. We had a good cast. And the carnival is always fun. Elvis seemed to really enjoy it. And I never heard him say anything negative about 'Roustabout' or anything else. Elvis was not a negative guy. You know he used to say, 'It's not my studio, and it's not my film. I just work here', and he would laugh. He got along real good with the other actors. Elvis never talked down to any of the actors regardless if they were just starting out or had been around a long time. He was one of the actors. That was his attitude. -

by Anonymousreply 46304/10/2013

Elvis was fucking beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 46404/10/2013

Yes R64 he was!!!!!!!

I love the alternate version of 'Sylvia'. How erotic and soulful! Elvis could make one shiver with the true feeling of his voice. How original he could be while he was singing! it amazes me!

by Anonymousreply 46504/10/2013

Elvis i love your songs. All the takes of your songs were beautifully performed. How your voice moves me!

*shivers

by Anonymousreply 46604/11/2013

Night Time in Car Candid

Signing Autograph and Holding Pen

by Anonymousreply 46704/11/2013

R467 Dreamy! Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 46804/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 46904/11/2013

Elvis Presley - Blue Moon of Kentucky - Alternate Take

Sweet Sweet Strong Voice, beautiful pictures

by Anonymousreply 47004/11/2013

The Best Singer Ever

UNQUESTIONABLY!

Too many questions, but this one is clearly answered in my mind.

*shivers once more...

by Anonymousreply 47104/24/2013

'The Impersonal Life' by Joseph Benner was perhaps Elvis' favourite book. It was certainly among of his favourites.

He also loved 'The Infinite Way' by Joel S.Goldsmith.

It is said that the book Elvis was reading at the time of his death was "The Scientific Search for the Face of Jesus" by Frank O. Adams.

by Anonymousreply 47204/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.