Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Olivia de Haviland vs. Joan Fontaine

Who's the villain and who's the victim? Based on what I've read, Olivia is the former and Joan is the latter, but that's just a guess on my part.

I'm leaning toward cutting my mother out of my life entirely, and coming across the story of two sisters who haven't spoken in nearly 40 years has me fascinated...

by Anonymousreply 17206/09/2013

We don't really know if they are, or are not on speaking terms. I think their mother had a lot to do with their dysfunctional relationship.

by Anonymousreply 104/08/2012

I read Brian Aherene's autobiography & he seemed like a good guy. He had nothing nice to say about his ex-wife Joan Fontaine -- I don't remember details, but it rang true to me (& she never sued him for libel). I realize that he may have had an ax to grind, but it really didn't sound like he was just airing a grudge.

By contrast, I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Olivia de Haviland. Which doesn't mean she's a saint, but Hollywood does tend to indulge in cruelty whenever possible, so perhaps it's telling that she comes out fairly clean.

I do think they're both excellent actresses & I always enjoy their work.

by Anonymousreply 204/08/2012

Weren't they both molested by their step father?

by Anonymousreply 304/08/2012

R3, was that before or after Joan married Alfred Lunt? Or was that MARGOT Fontaine? But I think that Margot was married to Frank.

by Anonymousreply 404/08/2012

R3, just the pretty one, hence the animosity.

by Anonymousreply 504/08/2012

Who gives a shit, OP?

by Anonymousreply 604/08/2012

Here's a thread from a while back, OP. I haven't re-read it, but IIRC there was a lot of dish.

I always found their story fascinating. I'm an only child and always wanted a sibling. Their story makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 704/08/2012

Very detailed article in daily mail

They hated each other since childhood.

by Anonymousreply 904/08/2012

But it was in their professional lives that their mistrust reached a crescendo. Joan, keen to win the role of Melanie in Gone With The Wind, was considered ‘too chic! Melanie must be a plain southern girl’. ‘What about my sister?’ said Joan, a query that directly led to Olivia gaining the role, an indebtedness to Joan she would come to resent.

What a bitch! LOL

by Anonymousreply 1004/08/2012

r4, I saw Lunt and Fontaine in a movie from about 1930. It must have been a marriage of convenience, because Lunt was nellier than Marcus Bachmann.

And have you ever thought that they reconciled years ago, but kept it private to keep their names, no matter how occasionally, in the public eye? The "feud" will end when one shows up at the others death bed.

by Anonymousreply 1104/08/2012

There's a great clip of Joan Fontaine appearing on What's My Line? in the 1960s. The panel somehow manages to narrow their guesses down between the two sisters but then has to wriggle around clues to acertain if it's Joan or Olivia, much to Joan's chagrin.

by Anonymousreply 1204/08/2012

There's a dual biography coming out next week about these two bitches.

by Anonymousreply 1304/08/2012

Here the link , you lazy bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1404/08/2012

I wonder if some Hollywood queen is thinking about making a movie about the rivalry.

by Anonymousreply 1504/08/2012

I believe their story would make a great movie, opera or musical.

Tragic when you think of it, really.

Odd since they both REFUSE to die.

by Anonymousreply 1604/08/2012

They both were interesting actresses--exquisitely beautiful women who started out in demure roles and then blossomed to be able to do something more. They both could genuinely act. Joan was the more affecting and instinctive actress, and blossomed the earliest (by lucking out by getting the lead in "Rebecca," for which she genuinely earned the Academy Award given to her the next year for "Suspicion"), but De Havilland worked harder at getting better and soon outstripped her sister by becoming much more versatile. Her performance in "The Heiress" may be the single best ever to win the Best Actress Oscar during the Golden Age of Hollywood.

By all accounts the hatred for one another is deeply ingrained and goes all the way back to their childhoods. But Joan said very nice things about her sister when her sister famously broke her contract with Warner Bros. and said publicly, "All of Hollywood has much to be grateful to Olivia for."

by Anonymousreply 1804/08/2012

Thanks for posting the WML? clip r14!

Joan appears to have the beginnings of a dowager's hump in 1954! She was probably in her late 30s here but looks to be in her 50s.

by Anonymousreply 1904/08/2012

I saw Joan on an old Merv chat show and she could not have been more affected or mannered or actressy. She reminded me greatly of Celeste Holm whenever Celeste would do a talk show.

If Joan is like that in real life, I can only imagine what it is like to try to deal with her.

by Anonymousreply 2004/08/2012

r 20 reminds me of the story told on the 1st day shooting "All About Eve". Holm apparently walked up to Davis, and said " Oh Miss Davis, I am so thrilled to be working with you". Davis turned away, and said " Oh shit.....Good manners". They went on to throughly dislike each other.

by Anonymousreply 2104/08/2012

By all accounts, Celeste Holm was a mega bitch from hell on the set of "All About Eve."

Sidenote: Like the de Haviland sisters, she's still alive!

Continuing...

Bette and Anne Baxter remained good friends until Anne died.

by Anonymousreply 2204/08/2012

For a good feud to continue as long as this, it takes two gigantic egos to keep it going.

I'm sure both of them have been megabitches to each other and both of them have good arguments that the other one is the bigger bitch.

Olivia just covers it up better. Besides, she won the "mother loves me best" battle.

Hope their mother is rotting in hell for being such an utter failure as a mother.

by Anonymousreply 2304/09/2012

I disagree. It just takes one Narcissist for a lifelong feud, and good on you for getting away, Livvie.

by Anonymousreply 2404/09/2012

No offense to anyone posting, but I am 62 years old, and these women were well before even my time.

Who is the audience for this thread? Just wondering because threads about World War II era stars seem to come up regularly here.

by Anonymousreply 2504/09/2012

The audience for this thread is Winnie the Pooh and Tigger and Harry Potter and Ron and Hermione, R25.

Who do you think it's for? Fans of old films and the stars of old films.

Besides, they weren't way before your time. Livvie won her second Oscar in 1949. It's not like we're talking Theda Bara here, gramps.

by Anonymousreply 2604/09/2012

r25 doesn't grasp the concept of being interested in things prior to your birth...they call it "history" dear.

by Anonymousreply 2704/09/2012

Olivia-2

Joan-1

Olivia wins.

by Anonymousreply 2804/09/2012

R25, I'm the OP of this thread and I'm 31 years old. I love classic films and the de Haviland feud has recently started to interest me. When I started this thread I had initially wanted to find out if they live in the same general vicinity, but then I started to wonder more about their rivalry.

According to the Wikipedia entries for both sisters, it almost seems like Olivia is meant to be the instigator, but some of the responses in this thread have me believing that Joan might not be all that innocent. Regardless, I wish I would've added their mother as being the one to blame.

by Anonymousreply 2904/09/2012

Olivia has lived in Paris since the 1960s. Joan has lived in Carmel, CA, at least for the last 25 years.

So geography has certainly played a part in keeping them separated as there's been over 6000 miles between them in their elder years.

Joan apparently has become quite close to her neighbor Doris Day in Carmel. Like Doris, she is a dog lover and protector. Somebody needs to ask Doris about the Joan/Olivia feud in her next birthday radio interview.

by Anonymousreply 3004/09/2012

Olivia DeHavilland would have been simply delicious as old Rose in Titanic. How I long for just one more memorable film role for her to win a much deserved third Oscar. It would be the movie comeback of all time. And she's still spry enough to do it.

by Anonymousreply 3104/09/2012

Stick to the multiple Madonna threads, R25. Or maybe JLo is more in your frame of reference.

by Anonymousreply 3204/09/2012

I prefer it as a mystery, a la Blanche and Jane Hudson. I'm sure it will end with "all this time, we could have been friends." But unlike with Blanche and Jane clearly what is at its crux is petty drama. So who the fuck cares.

My guess is that Olivia was jealous of Joan's rise to stardom and first oscar. Joan didn't care as much about stardom as Olivia did, had a younger sister's quick resentment over her older sister's silliness and probably could have negotiated better, and the dynamic fed on itself.

Because their professional and public lives were so much bigger than their private and family ones so early on their sib rivalry never had the time to resolve itself in early adulthood and move on that it does for most people.

by Anonymousreply 3304/09/2012

R27, with all due respect, gossip from the 1940's can hardly be called history.

That said, my post was genuine curiosity. I thought possibly there were just a bunch of 90-year-olds still living the glory of their youth.

I'm glad there are film buffs interested in movies (and their stars) from that era.

by Anonymousreply 3404/09/2012

R31, do you think if Olivia had played Old Rose and been nominated (as Stuart had), do you think the Academy wouldn't have been able to resist giving it to her over Basinger? Stuart was a bit player back in the day and had long since quit acting by the time Cameron coaxed her out of retirement. But the nomination seemed to be her reward. However, Olivia had a respectable film career, 2 Best Actress Oscars, and a couple classic films under her belt. I think it would've been irresistible NOT to give her a 3rd Oscar, kind of like Ingrid Bergman won her 3rd (in supporting) for MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS.

by Anonymousreply 3504/09/2012

Of course gossip can be history:

1. the branch of knowledge dealing with past events.

2. a continuous, systematic narrative of past events as relating to a particular people, country, period, person, etc., usually written as a chronological account; chronicle: a history of France; a medical history of the patient.

3. the aggregate of past events.

4. the record of past events and times, especially in connection with the human race.

5. a past notable for its important, unusual, or interesting events: a ship with a history.

You aren't that bright are you r25? I like that in a man.

by Anonymousreply 3604/09/2012

R25 is a cunt. And a troll. Don't feed it.

by Anonymousreply 3704/10/2012

r33, I like the mystery as well... Honestly, their "feud" is all too simple to figure out though. Unless they are taking some deep dark secret to their graves it has been a simple case of sibling rivalry encouraged by dear Mother and they never over came it.

by Anonymousreply 3804/10/2012

Whichever one goes first, the other probably will have a good story to tell.

by Anonymousreply 3904/12/2012

R35, Gloria Stewart was the LEADING LADY in many a film, not a bit player.... She'd just left the business so long ago that no one cared.

by Anonymousreply 4004/12/2012

Joan left Paris and is with her daughter in California now. She still handwrites answers to her fan mail.

by Anonymousreply 4104/12/2012

Wow, just wow at all the bullshit, bile, spite and hate coming out of R25. 62 chronologically but you've got the nastiness of a much younger man.

by Anonymousreply 4204/12/2012

Olivia certainly was always the prettier of the two.

by Anonymousreply 4304/12/2012

Interesting, r43, I always thought Joan was prettier.

by Anonymousreply 4404/12/2012

r40, Gloria Stuart may have had a leading part in many films but they were not A pictures. Warner's did not hesitate to make her play second fiddle to actresses who were more popular back then. She was barely popular then and barely popular now. People just wont stop trying to make her happen.

by Anonymousreply 4504/12/2012

lol I thought the sororal rivalry between the two was just a DL meme or something, but it appears to be true.

This video is pretty interesting, as it shows how many forgettable Oscar winners there are, I certainly couldn't name a good deal of the supporting ones. They cheated though by putting in those honorary Oscar losers - poor Peter O'Toole at the end! I like how some of the cooler legends like Jane Fonda don't show up.

Anyway, guess who doesn't show up in this. The best thing about it is DL icon Luise Rainer of course.

by Anonymousreply 4604/19/2012

Are Olivia and Joan friends with Barbra Streisand?

by Anonymousreply 4704/19/2012

I've posted before, but my grandmother and cousin were friends with Olivia and Joan's aunt. The cousin even babysat for them (Lillian, the mother, and the father, Walt, were separated a long time before divorcing). And according to them and to their recollection of the family's talk, Olivia always was the favorite but it was for a reason. Joan was a little pill, and a tantrum thrower, and developed into being a liar and a sneak. She learned how to suppress her "less than/younger child" personality behind a blank stare, but Olivia knew her best and always was simply direct and to the point.

The "I knew I shouldn't have won, being the younger sister, and Olivia would hold it against me, and she didn't even congratulate me" routine when Joan won was something Olivia didn't buy. And she made it clear.

by Anonymousreply 4804/19/2012

R12, What's My Line was well before my time and I just found out about it this year, but I love watching it on YouTube. I like the way they spoke. They spoke the way that people write. But it seems like they knew who the celebrity guest was ahead of time. And I watched the one with Joan Fontaine as a celebrity guest.

by Anonymousreply 4904/19/2012

There's one thing that is quite telling about the sisters in regards to their husbands and children. Despite two divorces, Olivia remained on good terms with both of her former husbands: when second husband Pierre Galante became ill with cancer, she took him back into her house in Paris so she could take care of him until he died some years later. Also, Olivia's eldest child Benjamin Goodrich battled cancer as a teenager, but the treatments utlimately weakened his heart, and years later he died of a coronary as a young man. Fortunately, her daughter Gisele Galante is alive and well. As for Joan, she had bad divorces from Brian Aherne and William Dozier (who produced "Batman" for TV and had a long happy later marriage to Olivia's GWTW costar Ann Rutherford). She stopped speaking to both of her daughters (one natural, one adopted) for a while when she found out that they were in regular contact with their Aunt Olivia! I kid you not.

by Anonymousreply 5004/19/2012

But Joan is currently BFFs with Doris Day which says a lot in the film industry!

by Anonymousreply 5104/19/2012

"But Joan is currently BFFs with Doris Day which says a lot in the film industry!"

It's well-known that Doris has a soft spot in her heart for taking in stray bitches.

by Anonymousreply 5204/19/2012

Kids, we are gays.

We've traditionally ALWAYS cared about movies, arts, culture, actors and actresses.

I will be sad when the young gaylings stop caring. Oh wait. It's happened. GASP.

I work with many young gays. Asked some the other day about "Sunset Blvd." They had no idea what it was.

Dammit. I hate being old before my time.

by Anonymousreply 5304/19/2012

R52,

You fucking bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5404/19/2012

I sent her a fruit basket that I'd had around since the 80's.

by Anonymousreply 5610/24/2012

I think that Olivia de Havilland was a far better actress than Joan Fontaine. However, Joan was not a bad actress at all, it's just that Olivia was more well-rounded than her younger sister and had more depth in her performances than Joan. They are both lovely as ladies. No need for bearing grudges against each other. They know better, anyway, i don't!

by Anonymousreply 5711/12/2012

Olivia was briefly on 60 Minutes last night.

by Anonymousreply 5811/12/2012

'My Cousin Rachel' with Olivia and Richard Burton is simply one of the best films i have ever seen and believe me i have seen a lot. :)

by Anonymousreply 5911/12/2012

[quote]Olivia was briefly on 60 Minutes last night.

And she looked and sounded fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 6011/12/2012

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

by Anonymousreply 6111/12/2012

Olivia and not because she happened to play in the highly popular 'Gone with the Wind'. In my mind, she is among the list with the greatest actors and actresses. High five to Miss Havilland!

by Anonymousreply 6211/12/2012

Olivia de Haviland you are so classy!

by Anonymousreply 6311/14/2012

Olivia at 96 looks better than most women 25 years younger.

by Anonymousreply 6411/14/2012

R64 you are absolutely right!

by Anonymousreply 6511/14/2012

Gloria Stuart was a stunningly beautiful young woman. She was the love interest in "The Invisible Man," "Poor Little Rich Girl" and "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm."

And I'd be willing to bet money Livie and Joan talk all the time. Here they both are 96 and 95 and we are still talking about them.

The Golden Age actresses know how to work a feud.

by Anonymousreply 6611/14/2012

I like to imagine that Joan & Olivia are keeping alive only to outlive the other. The bitterness is invigorating.

by Anonymousreply 6711/14/2012

Olivia and Joan...

by Anonymousreply 6811/14/2012

You want more....?

by Anonymousreply 6911/14/2012

Joan's best revenge? Olivia is the fat one!

by Anonymousreply 7011/14/2012

Today, I need to give a vote to both of them. :)

I like more Olivia as an actress but i'm afraid that she was a bit unfair to Joan. She should be more tender with her younger sister and more protective of her from the beginning. Anyway,these two are great and lovely, they must forget the past and reconcile with each other now before they are gone... I love you ladies. Take care.

by Anonymousreply 7111/18/2012

That first pic at the link r69 provided says it all!

I'd forgotten how stunning Dorothy Lamour was in her youth.

by Anonymousreply 7211/18/2012

Wouldn't it be delicious for Olivia deHavilland to get one more great supporting screen role that wold net her a third Oscar, ala Ingrid Berman in Murder on the Orient Express and Sally Field in Lincoln in a few months.

by Anonymousreply 7311/19/2012

R73, yes sugar it would be swell!

by Anonymousreply 7411/19/2012

That bitch already has two. I want one first before she gets another one.

by Anonymousreply 7511/19/2012

I feel glad that they are both alive.

by Anonymousreply 7611/19/2012

Did you know that Olivia had a pet parrot?

by Anonymousreply 7712/16/2012

...and the Oscar goes to Olivia de Haviland!

by Anonymousreply 7812/18/2012

She could play an innocent angelic lady and a vicious jealous bitch equally well. Who is she?

OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND!

by Anonymousreply 7901/06/2013

A tribute to this angelic/demonic lady

by Anonymousreply 8001/06/2013

On the first day of shooting The Affairs of Susan, Joan Fontaine receives a joint bouquet from George Brent and producer Hal B. Wallis

by Anonymousreply 8101/09/2013

Joan Fontaine was awarded Oscar for her role in Suspicion, 1942

by Anonymousreply 8201/09/2013

Portrait of Joan Fontaine, 1940's

by Anonymousreply 8301/09/2013

Portrait of the sisters, Joan Fontaine and Olivia de Havilland, 1940's

by Anonymousreply 8401/09/2013

Joan Fontaine and Marcel Journet in "Letter from an Unknown Woman" directed by Max Ophüls, 1948

by Anonymousreply 8501/09/2013

Portrait of Joan Fontaine, 1940's

by Anonymousreply 8601/09/2013

Olivia de Havilland with Vivien Leigh

Gone With The Wind...(1939)

by Anonymousreply 8701/09/2013

Enjoy all the rest anyway! Lolz

by Anonymousreply 8801/09/2013

Oh cattish nails and Olivia!

by Anonymousreply 8901/09/2013

A big actress she was

by Anonymousreply 9001/09/2013

She was fucking fantastic in 'The Snake Pit'

by Anonymousreply 9101/09/2013

Omg, this is Olivia de Havilland!

by Anonymousreply 9201/09/2013

Omg! As much as i love Olivia as an actress she scares me in this photo with poor Joan.

by Anonymousreply 9301/09/2013

Radiant Joan Fontaine

by Anonymousreply 9401/09/2013

Joan Fontaine in 'Rebecca',

by Anonymousreply 9501/09/2013

[quote]Omg, this is Olivia de Havilland!

Omg?????? Why "Omg"?

by Anonymousreply 9601/09/2013

Wow, we have an Olivia de Havilland troll! And he's lost his marbles.

by Anonymousreply 9701/09/2013

What's the matter, OP? Did your mother get an Oscar nod before you did?

by Anonymousreply 9801/09/2013

Joan Fontaine in an older age.

by Anonymousreply 9901/09/2013

Oscar night, Joan Fontaine with Gary Cooper, winners of that night

by Anonymousreply 10001/09/2013

Joan Fontaine plays with her dog between shots of The Constant Nymph (1943).

Olivia was holding a cat in a photo i sent you before and here she is Joan holding a dog

Those sisters like fire and ice!

by Anonymousreply 10101/09/2013

I wish i could find somewhere 'The Constant Nymph'.

I have the feeling that it must be an amazing movie. By the way, i read that it's Fontaine's favourite of her movies.

by Anonymousreply 10201/09/2013

Meowing with Olivia...

by Anonymousreply 10301/09/2013

Olivia de Haviland is on the DVD of Best of Password

She used a racist statement when giving someone a clue.

The word was Laundry and her clue was 'Chinese'

by Anonymousreply 10401/09/2013

Lol, come one R104.

She is old come on and she is sweeter than ever now

Actress Olivia de Havilland with her copy of 'Washington Square' by Henry James

by Anonymousreply 10501/09/2013

*on

by Anonymousreply 10601/09/2013

I'm not evil

by Anonymousreply 10701/09/2013

What do you mean again Olivia? I'm the bad one?

by Anonymousreply 10801/09/2013

What's the truth? Who is to blame the most?

by Anonymousreply 10901/09/2013

You were always the edgy one Olivia

by Anonymousreply 11001/09/2013

Again? I'm not even sure I can tell them apart!

Don't tell to pass up the thread. This had to be said!

by Anonymousreply 11101/09/2013

No more hypocrisy Joan. I had enough from you. I never spoke derogatorily of you in the press, i just told them i don't want to talk about you anymore. On the contrary, you didn't have my tact. You slandered me. You were always the coward one Joan, deep at your weasel heart.

by Anonymousreply 11201/09/2013

What could you tell to the press about me Olivia? You were always the cruel one. You had nothing against me, only your jealousy. You were clever enough to hush it up with your adamant pride. You were never kind to me Olivia, i said the truth to the press, i didn't lie.

by Anonymousreply 11301/09/2013

Yes i'm Joan

by Anonymousreply 11401/09/2013

Ladies please! There is room for both of you. We love you.

by Anonymousreply 11501/09/2013

Decisive Olivia

by Anonymousreply 11601/09/2013

Decisive Olivia

by Anonymousreply 11701/09/2013

Put a smile on your face Olivia, i did that for both of us!

by Anonymousreply 11801/09/2013

It's over Joan. You have no respect for my private feelings, for my thoughts, but i guess that's because you have no respect for yours. Class and grace is what you always lacked anyway.

by Anonymousreply 11901/09/2013

1955 Joan Fontaine with daughters Press Photo

by Anonymousreply 12001/09/2013

Olivia DE Havilland and children Benjamin and Gisele 1971

by Anonymousreply 12101/09/2013

Olivia de Havilland and family 1964

by Anonymousreply 12201/09/2013

Joan Fontaine gets made up for 'The Duke of West Point'

Sexy profile, if you ask me!

by Anonymousreply 12302/20/2013

Still think a big clue is the fact Olivia's kids stll speak to her, and they have a great relationship - Joan's kids do not talk to their mother. Do the math. Joan's the more stubborn bitch.

by Anonymousreply 12402/20/2013

I understand that Olivia was supposedly very good friends with Bette Davis, even way past their movie prime. Now if one is to believe that Bette was a less than stellar individual then maybe Olivia was a bit nastier than Joan. Or maybe Olivia was just so sweet (like Melanie?)she saw Bette's good side and accepted her flaws.

by Anonymousreply 12502/20/2013

Lol, i love you guys!

by Anonymousreply 12602/20/2013

Oh dude!

by Anonymousreply 12702/23/2013

Would be kind of fun to see them both win a Kennedy Center Honor, especially the luminous Olivia.

Why are the older movie star legends overlooked nowadays? It seems like they get the shaft in favor of more contemporary artists.

Time for an AFI lifetime achievement award to go to either of them but that ain't gonna happen for whatever reason.

Sadly, they aren't considered hip enough to be recognized by any of the awards shows.

by Anonymousreply 12802/24/2013

R128. I agree with you. Olivia has been a luminous actress. She was obviously a better actress than her sister Joan Fontaine. She was not hammy as sometimes Fontaine was, Olivia was always more natural to her acting. She gave stellar performances.

However, i think that in their fight Olivia was strangely jealous of Joan, although she was far better than her and that's so awkward.

Of course, i could be wrong, maybe Joan was monstrous to Olivia, who knows.

by Anonymousreply 12902/24/2013

{quote} However, i think that in their fight Olivia was strangely jealous of Joan, although she was far better than her and that's so awkward.

I don't think Olivia is at all jealous of Joan. In fact I think the opposite is true. Joan was jealous that she wasn't the favorite daughter and still sees herself as the wronged party.

Although I'd say Olivia was jealous of Joan winning an Oscar before her especially knowing she was far less driven in career.

by Anonymousreply 13002/24/2013

Gary Cooper and Joan Fontaine with their Oscars - 1942

by Anonymousreply 13103/01/2013

'Errol Flynn? He never had his wicked way with me'...

by Anonymousreply 13203/11/2013

Loving the resurrection of this fabulous thread!

The sisters must be in their late 90s by now? How long before OLivia hits 100?

by Anonymousreply 13303/11/2013

Isn't it mentioned somewhere her, Liv is 96, Joan is 95. Do your thread homework befoe commenting please. Be professional - you have to stay on top of things.

by Anonymousreply 13403/12/2013

Yes, Lucille at R134. The twattas posting at the DL who can't take ten seconds to check a fact before either demanding information or misspeaking are legion.

And, although you probably know it, of course, aggressive scrubbing will remove the finish. Unless your fingernails tearing at the inside of that box have already accomplished that.

by Anonymousreply 13503/12/2013

lol!

by Anonymousreply 13603/12/2013

Simply Olivia! I mean i prefer her to Joan...but Joan is a good actress too. It's just that Olivia has been so much better and natural.

by Anonymousreply 13703/13/2013

Kisses to your cheeks Miss De Havilland!

by Anonymousreply 13803/13/2013

Olivia is one hell of an old woman. She is still mobile and coherent; occasionally gives an interview and comes across as the ultimate in class.

by Anonymousreply 13903/13/2013

Hmm...a quite provocative photo

by Anonymousreply 14003/13/2013

Olivia de Havilland and Bette Davis on set reading script for "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte"

by Anonymousreply 14103/13/2013

baby girl Olivia

by Anonymousreply 14203/13/2013

R141 I love that people used to dress and look great every day. Now films stars show up in sweatpants.

by Anonymousreply 14303/13/2013

Can we please let go of the fantasy that Olivia de Haviland was amazing in THE HEIRESS? She was okay in THE HEIRESS. But it's a nothing-special performance - particularly if you compare it to Cherry Jones's performance on Broadway, which actually was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 14403/13/2013

Hehehe R143

R144, i haven't seen Cherry Jones but de Havilland was great in 'The Heiress', c'mon!

Below she is talking with Errol Flynn...

by Anonymousreply 14503/13/2013

Closer...

by Anonymousreply 14603/13/2013

That pic in r118 reminds of a little something I read in some book about that Oscar ceremony.

Allegedly, Joan tried to shake Olivia's hand and congratulate her, but Olivia cut her dead and was heard to mutter: "I don't know why she insists on doing that when she knows how I feel."

So odd that they can look so sisterly in some pics of them together and still be on the outs most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 14703/13/2013

I don't know much about either honestly, but I think based on photos Olivia was a bit more beautiful. I find her very underrated in that way. She wasn't a sex symbol like say Marilyn or Rita but Olivia's more innocent type of beauty is just as valuable in my opinion =).

As for the two sisters' relationship, both are pushing 100 and still alive. If that's not a sign that they should make peace before they die, then what the hell is? Unless they have made peace and we don't know about it...

by Anonymousreply 14803/13/2013

Both were knockouts in their prime. Hard to think of a more beautiful pair of Hollywood sisters.

by Anonymousreply 14903/13/2013

Fontaine wins Best Actress for "Suspicion" at the 1942 banquet, beating a field of nominees that includes sister Olivia de Havilland in "Hold Back the Dawn."

by Anonymousreply 15003/13/2013

Olivia in thoughts...possibly dark ones

by Anonymousreply 15103/13/2013

Olivia with her friend Bette Davis and with Jimmy Stewart

by Anonymousreply 15203/13/2013

Olivia de Havilland, Jimmy Stewart, and Bette Davis at the Cocoanut Grove, 1939.

by Anonymousreply 15303/13/2013

Olivia de Havilland & Joan Fontaine with Margaret Lindsay 1940

by Anonymousreply 15403/13/2013

The most famous sisters of Hollywood

by Anonymousreply 15503/13/2013

'Suspicion'...

by Anonymousreply 15603/13/2013

After the knockout punches of Rebecca and Suspicion in consecutive years topped by an Oscar for the later, Joan never really made another film to equal either of those two.

by Anonymousreply 15703/13/2013

Why oh why cannot Olivia be offered one last juicy supporting role to garner her third Oscar? And don't get me started on how she should have been Old Rose in Titanic instead of that nobody piece of wood, Gloria Stuart.

by Anonymousreply 15803/13/2013

R155, Ha! Who are [italic]they[/italic] even??

by Anonymousreply 15903/13/2013

I was a teenage apprentice at a summer theater on what used to be called The Straw Hat Circuit in the early 1970s and Joan appeared at my theater in a silly British farce called Relatively Speaking that was one of the later stops on her tour.

We were all warned ahead of time that if Miss Fontaine showed up and was not happy with the set or if it clashed with her costumes, we would be up all night repainting it to her satisfaction.

Well, she loved the set and was perfectly gracious to everyone backstage. I'll never forget her winking at me as I pulled the curtain up on her opening night as she walked on stage for the first scene.

I remember her being very sporty. She was always off every afternoon to swim or play tennis or golf.

That summer we also had Shirley Booth, Van Johnson, William Shatner, John Gavin, Edward Mulhare, George Gobel, Noel Harrison, Patrice Munsel, Inga Swenson and Kerwin Matthews.

by Anonymousreply 16003/13/2013

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they made up years ago and have simply chosen to keep that private. Having people think you have family drama is more fun entertainers... and to r158, let it go already.

by Anonymousreply 16103/13/2013

R160, it's cool that you have personally seen these people. I'm glad that Joan Fontaine was far from bitchy to you. She seemed sweet from the way you described her. What a pity Olivia couldn't appeal to that sweetness of her little sister. Hehe. I really can't understand why these two ladies grew up so cold to each other after all these years. As i already stated before, i like Olivia far more as an actress that i like Joan but i know that they are both good in their craft.

However, as much as i admire Olivia as an actress and as a woman,(I like her a lot more than Joan)i suspect that their bad relations were caused more by Olivia's bitterness and lack of tenderness towards her little sister. For some reason, Olivia couldn't find it in her heart to be more approving of her sister.

I can't know for sure though. I only guess. Don't take my guess for the truth.

R161, i don't think that they have reconciled with each other. I believe that Olivia wouldn't mind to speak about that if that was the case.

by Anonymousreply 16203/14/2013

I have loving memories of my dear sister , Joan. I just not want to see that hideous, cunt now -

by Anonymousreply 16303/14/2013

My dear OLDER sister always had a way with words. She also had her way with almost every attractive young actor to hit Hollywood, in those wonderful 30's and 40's. They didn't refer to her as Miss de Had Her for nothing -

by Anonymousreply 16403/14/2013

Looool R164!

A photo of Joan below in an older age. Not too old but older.

by Anonymousreply 16503/15/2013

I'm planning a trip to Carmel and would love to find Villa Fontana. I thought I read a post in one of these threads of someone driving past Ms. Fontaine's home, but I can't seem to find that OP now. If you're around or if anyone else could answer, what road does she live on?? PS. Team Joan for the win.

by Anonymousreply 16603/21/2013

R166 hmm i don't know sugar sorry. :)

by Anonymousreply 16703/23/2013

r166, do not go stalking that woman. Leave her be.

by Anonymousreply 16803/23/2013

But but but... I have to at the very least try! I also am willing to bet the two sisters talk all the time. I kind of think Joan would have reached out to Olivia when her son Benjamin died in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 16903/23/2013

R169 amen! I hope they talk but....

*sighs

by Anonymousreply 17003/24/2013

Joan Fontaine looking through the window...

by Anonymousreply 17105/29/2013

Who's gonna croak first? Olivia or Joan?

Not familiar with either's work, but having finally saw GWTW (thank god!) and loving the super epic, I cannot fathom Joan being better than Livvy. The most idealised selfless character in film history. I think I liked her better than Hattie who brought the realness.

by Anonymousreply 17206/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.