Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I HATE, HATE, HATE my brother-in-law

My partner's sister is *the* quintessential hausfrau. She "works part time" doing god knows what and has three children, all under age 5, whom she dresses in color-coordinated outfits. She calls wine "mommy juice" and talks about "play dates" and is perhaps the most vapid person on earth. At one point, she was actually fun, but this is before she met...

the most dull man on earth, my brother-in-law. Dull is one thing. But he's also a smug, condescending, homophobe. He's always talking about his house and maintenance projects and then laughing with a jocular "But you wouldn't understand THAT!" punch to the arm (we live in the city)...He's the classic football star who then landed in some middle-management cubicle and thinks he's the hottest thing on legs. He wears pleated pants and has a small beer gut which he covers up with expensive sweaters bought my his wife.

I have tried to engage him in conversation about books, world events, etc. but he's basically incapable of having a conversation that doesn't involve some Will Ferrel reference or some snide comment about minorities, or gays...

They have a photo of a bathroom in their bathroom...done up by Sears...

I honestly cannot stand them, and GUESS WHERE WE'RE SPENDING EASTER?

Hold me Datalounge.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 5505/08/2014

You should go on Twitter and see if anyone there gives a shit, OP.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 104/08/2012

[quote]He wears pleated pants

What's wrong with pleated pants?

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 204/08/2012

Pleated pants make men look too curvaceous and fat.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 304/08/2012

He just sounds like a regular straight guy. You on the other hand...

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 404/08/2012

And yet, OP, you desperately want his approval.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 504/08/2012

Find their hamper and ejaculate in a pair of his dirty underwear.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 604/08/2012

Princess problems, OP.

As long as your partner's sister and her husband are not openly homophobic or surreptitiously trying to sabotage your relationship, you are luckier than many thousands of partnered gay people in the US.

And the fact you have a meal to eat today makes you richer than most people in the world.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 704/08/2012

Yes, yes make it a game to seduce him and ruin your relationship and hers. Fun!

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 804/08/2012

Oh r7, GET A GRIP.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 904/08/2012

[quote]What's wrong with pleated pants?

[italic]Leave this board.[/italic]

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 1004/08/2012

Yet another reason to be grateful that my father is an atheist: no family Easter dinners! We all stay in our own homes & eat chocolate eggs, which makes everyone happy.

Condolences, OP.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 1104/08/2012

Lol r10.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 1204/08/2012

Does your partner hate him, too? Why are you spending Easter with him? I really don't understand people who whine about how awful some other person is, and then put on the "It's faaaaaaamily, so I haaaave to" act.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 1304/08/2012

OP, you don't have to attend this family gathering. Make your own plans to do something else. Nobody is going to question you about this.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 1404/08/2012

You CHOOSE to spend time with him yet you want pity. Fuck you.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 1504/08/2012

1/10

Pedestrian

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 1604/08/2012

R1, in the future, leave "R1" to the professionals.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 1704/08/2012

It could be much worse, OP. At least your brother-in-law is ambitious and has a functioning brain. There a members of my partner's family who are clearly challenged mentally. Even though they are in their mid 20s, they don't work full time. They can't manage to inspire themselves to go to college and get a decent education. One of them collects some form of "disability", whatever that means. Does laziness qualify as a form of disability these days? God, I can't stand listening to them whine about their 'problems'! Try working for a living!

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 1804/08/2012

[quote]I really don't understand people who whine about how awful some other person is, and then put on the "It's faaaaaaamily, so I haaaave to" act.

Were you raised by a Siberian Tiger or a Polar Bear?

Unless you were, then you shouldn't have a problem comprehending the concept of "family obligation."

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 1904/08/2012

I have a very hard time understanding it. Why is it an "obligation"? What happens if the OP decides not to do it? Will they hire goons to come break his knees?

My family is a bunch of dysfunctional, hillbilly 'phobes and I disowned them all years ago. I got a couple of manipulative phone calls from my BPD mother and a nasty, Bible-thumping e-mail from my SIL before I changed my number & e-mail address. That was it.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 2004/08/2012

Such utter bullshit, r19. You're just mouthing a conventional heterosexual pietism, "family obligation," that means nothing.

Adults have little obligation (if any) to have to visit their family for holidays, and their partners certainly do not.

And before you ask: I'm very close with my own family. But our closeness is a pleasure, not an obligation.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 2104/08/2012

R19, but we CHOOSE not to be obligated, not to spend time with someone just because of some bit of DNA sputtered into the right woman at the right time.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 2204/08/2012

Thank you, R21. I was starting to feel like I'd entered the Twilight Zone.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 2304/08/2012

Anyone pushing the silly "family obligation" is displaying a fundie frau mentality.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 2404/08/2012

I hear people I work with at every holiday say things like one daughter and her husband won't be coming to the big family dinner or the single son went on a trip somewhere with his girlfriend, and every other possible version of someone-made-other-plans.

It's just a fact, if you don't want to go a family gathering, you don't have to, whether it's your own family or your partner's family.

If you choose to go, put on a nice face and stop complaining about it.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 2504/08/2012

Just because some here have successfully "cut off" their family doesn't mean everyone has or should. It is a process and takes time. It took me almost 15 years to successfully establish boundaries with my family after leaving home at 18. It can be especially difficult if there are family members you still care about. I still see my family occasionally but it because/when I want to.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 2604/08/2012

Why would it take 15 years to establish boundaries? You establish them and then you hold them. And if your relatives choose to not honor your boundaries, you leave. It took me 15 minutes to establish boundaries and only a couple of repetitions before they got the message.

And if they don't get the message, that's their problem, not yours. Life's too short to waste time with toxic relationships.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 2704/08/2012

I'm glad I like my family and they like me. Having to live your life in perpetual drama must suck. How many bring this on themselves by expecting too much?

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 2804/08/2012

[quote]What's wrong with pleated pants?

I HATE, HATE, HATE pleated pants on men.

[quote]And if they don't get the message, that's their problem, not yours. Life's too short to waste time with toxic relationships.

Good advice, R27!

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 2904/08/2012

I understand he actually speaks highly of you.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 3104/08/2012

In the old days, gays were cast out from their family, OP. They didn't have to be surrounded by their family on the holidays, because they had their asses kicked out of their family.

Now, they have to deal with the same thing straight people do - hang out with boring family members they have nothing in common with. Keep in mind, family is awfully handy when you need some support - emotional, timewise, or whatever, to help you get through life's shittiest moments. You may find the support of this "boring and tasteless" couple just the thing in case of family illness or emergency. Some things do matter more.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 3204/08/2012

R27, I actually love my siblings. However, I have a mother that rule the roost with a iron fist. I was always the rebellious one and felt badly that my siblings were often caught between the two of us. I was the second child and had three younger siblings that I still wanted to be a part of my life. So my choice was to walk away and miss a major part of their life or suck it up for awhile by dealing with my mother. Eventually, I made it clear to my then adult siblings that I loved them and wanted them in my life but I was not going to be forced to deal with my mother. We see each other away from my mother but that means I miss a lot of important events in their and their family's lives because they all remain close to her. The first few years it was painful but I have since got over it.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 3304/08/2012

I also hate my sister in law who is a bitch and tries to be manipulative and assumes Im just gonna be nice to her because she is my sister in law...well she got that one wrong.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 3404/08/2012

I really like you, r27. I could probably learn a lot from you. I try to set boundaries with my homophobic parents but somehow I can still get sucked into their poison. I have been with my partner for 15 years and they will have nothing to do with him. It is pretty sick.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 3504/08/2012

[quote]I try to set boundaries with my homophobic parents but somehow I can still get sucked into their poison.

Don't answer the phone every time they call. Don't reply to their e-mail for several days. After awhile they may wake up. If not, ignore all their phone calls and all their email.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 3604/08/2012

R35, the first lesson you have to learn is that you cannot change others. The only person whose behavior and attitudes you control is you.

The second lesson you have to learn is that you have to stand up for yourself and that you're worth standing up for.

The third lesson you have to learn is that sometimes you have to walk away, painful though that can be. Sometimes that walking away is temporary; sometimes it's permanent. And it's up to them, not to you, to decide which it is.

If your parents are homophobic, refusing to accept you as you are, refusing to accept your partner, denigrating you and your partner, poisoning the atmosphere when you're with them, you owe it to yourself and to your partner to refuse to tolerate their behavior.

The most important thing to recognize is that the threat, if there is one, cannot be an idle one. You cannot tell your relatives that you will not tolerate specific words or actions, then turn around and say and do nothing when they do it again as they've done many times before.

If it's a topic you don't want to hear, firmly and respectfully change the subject. If they don't take the hint, make it plain that you are bothered by the conversation and that you don't wish to hear such talk. If they still persist, either walk away or hang up. Repeat until they get it. And if they never do, be prepared to never speak with them.

If they refuse to accept or respect you and your partner, then you'll have to decide whether you want or need to take a stand. That's a decision that nobody can make for you. Personally, I would, but that's just me. My partner is an important part of my life. Anyone who refuses to respect that, and respect him, is denigrating me, as well. Either my partner is welcome, fully acknowledged as my partner, or I will not attend.

Again, if you decide to take this stand, you will have to be prepared for the consequences, including the consequences of never seeing that relative again. For some, this decision is easier than it is for others.

Be firm, don't give in to manipulation or attempts to lay a guilt trip on you, don't argue or defend your stand. Just lay it on the line and hold your ground, keeping your head held high.

Life is too short to spend time or energy on people who bring you down. Choose instead to surround yourself with people who love and accept you just as you are.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 3704/08/2012

OP must have decided he wanted to get piled on at DL today. Fun!

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 3804/08/2012

Thanks, r37. I appreciate what you wrote very much.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 3904/08/2012

So, OP, you hate these people (your partner's family members) based on their clothing, their home decor, and the fact that they have a different lifestyle and enjoy different TV shows than you do. I congratulate you on your utter shallowness.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 4004/08/2012

Read between the lines:

I want to fuck my brother-in-law and he won't give me the time of day!

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 4104/08/2012

R42. Yes, that's some e-caca...

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 4310/31/2013

Why did this get bumped?

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 4410/31/2013

"I was the second child and had three younger siblings"

Say what?

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 4510/31/2013

I think OP meant "I am the second of five children." At least that's what I got from it.

I love my dad, and we talk some, but I've never been to his house in the 8 years he's been married to my stepmother. They invite me, but he never acknowledges my BF, even though he has met him 3 times over the years. Never even asked why I had a different address all of a sudden when I broke up with my last BF after living together for several years. We talk about the weather, my job, my car, other relatives, but never about my personal life. He tells me he loves me, sends me money, birthday cards, etc., ..but has made it clear he doesn't approve of my "lifestyle choice." Southern Baptist, natch.

He was so loving and accepting when I came out years ago, but he went back to church and then things changed. I am close to my brother; he even stays with me and the BF when he visits. He goes to my dads house, with his THIRD wife, who he lived IN SIN with, but that was okay i guess since it's heterosexual.

Luckily my BF has the most wonderful parents who have taken me in and made me a part of their family. I know, get a blog! I decided a long time ago I can't change him. I know some people have it worse, some have it better.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 4610/31/2013

[He goes to my dads house, with his THIRD wife, who he lived IN SIN with, but that was okay i guess since it's heterosexual. ]

Now see, that really is a LIFESTYLE CHOICE. Maybe point that out to him.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 4811/01/2013

It's pretty obvious that OP never really hated some guy who's approval he craved.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 4911/01/2013

[quote]It's pretty obvious that OP never really hated some guy who's approval he craved.

It's pretty obvious you don't know what an apostrophe is for, r49.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 5011/01/2013

Whose approval he craved. Will that help you sleep better tonight, R50?

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 5111/01/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 5211/01/2013

How long does it take you to get the crease so crisp down the front of your pants, you torturer?

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 5311/01/2013

The OP is more jealous than Natalie was when Tootsie got her part in South Pacific.

by Considering drinking before I arrivereply 5505/08/2014
Need more help? Click Here.