Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Panera Bread

Anyone eat often here? Their sandwiches, soups and salads are a bit overpriced, but worth it for the tasty freshness and variety. Also, their bagels and cream cheese are thisclose to heaven. They have really good pastries and breakfast sandwiches too.

by Anonymousreply 9509/22/2013

I find their tomato soup with asagio cheese croutons comforting.

by Anonymousreply 104/07/2012

EW. Panera is vile. What the heck, OP?

by Anonymousreply 204/07/2012

Vile? They use fresh ingredients and their food tastes great.

by Anonymousreply 304/07/2012

OP, let me tell you a secret -- their food simmers under HEAT LAMPS FOR HOURS.

by Anonymousreply 404/07/2012

Everything tastes the same at Panera.

by Anonymousreply 504/07/2012

You must be thinking of Burger King, R4. I've never seen heat lamps at PB. Their paninis and sandwiches are all made to order.

by Anonymousreply 604/07/2012

r6 - works at Panera or something. *backs slowly away*

by Anonymousreply 704/07/2012

Their bread is leaden. I find the food not fresh at all; salads have chicken with that awful old fridge taste. And they all have a bad smell when you walk in, like a school cafeteria. Maybe it's a franchise and the owners of the ones i've been to are lax.

by Anonymousreply 804/07/2012

Um, no Mr. Trolldar Yellow R2/R4/R7. But, as I said, I've never seen heat lamps at a Panera Bread.

by Anonymousreply 904/07/2012

My favorite the portobella and mozzarella sandwich was always packaged and frozen and had to be heated in a toaster. I never saw them make one fresh.

by Anonymousreply 1004/07/2012

If you have to ask this question, I'm guessing you eat alone there a lot.

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 1104/07/2012

What r8 says.

by Anonymousreply 1204/07/2012

I actually always take my food to go, R11. But thanks for trying.

by Anonymousreply 1304/07/2012

That little bag of potato chips are just vile. You can't make a healthy potato chip, so just cut out the nonsense and give me a bag of Lay's or Doritos, or drop the chips altogether.

by Anonymousreply 1404/07/2012

I find that it's inconsistent, but I do like some of their food. Actually their more "regular" sandwiches are really very good - much better than you'd get at a sandwich place. Don't care for their soup, salads or panini that much - although I get a cubano type one from time to time. The quality also varies I think from store to store -so if we're out and about far from home and need a quick, good, inexpensive lunch or even dinner we do go to Panera if we see one. It's certainly better than the alternatives for fast food. My mom loves it (she's 83) so my sister takes her there at least once a week.

by Anonymousreply 1504/07/2012

Typing from a Panera right now. I find their breakfast foods perfectly fine. The coffee is good. The pastries are good. The souffles are an nice change of pace, though high in calories. I hate the bagels, but then I am used real bagels that are smaller, dense, and chewy.

I am less thrilled with the lunch food. I find the sandwiches blah. The salads have a certain high school cafeteria quality to them. I have never had the chips, but the apples tend to be hard and sour.

I think the bread is fine, but then I expect good bread to be "leaden", not cotton candy. However, I did read something several years back that Panera's put something in the bread that makes it high in calories and not particularly good for you. I can't find the info at the moment.

The Panera Card is a good deal. It seems as if every third purchase or so,I get a free something or other. And, unlike Starbucks, the free offer is good for about a month.

would I prefer to go to a mom & pop cafe/bakery? Sure, but compared to the Coffee Bean, Dunkin Donuts, or Starbuck; Panera is just fine.

by Anonymousreply 1604/07/2012

Don't they now have a few stores where it is 'pay what you can afford'? I recall hearing something about them on public radio.

by Anonymousreply 1704/07/2012

And the founder of Panera Bread can currently be seen on Broadway playing the title role in Phantom of the Opera!

by Anonymousreply 1804/07/2012

I hate this place. My frau supervisor always orders from there when we have lunch meetings, and their food is REALLY overpriced and not very good.

by Anonymousreply 1904/07/2012

Panera is the new hangout for retirees because they give free refills of their coffee.

by Anonymousreply 2004/07/2012

DISGUSTING. And the staff at the White Plains NY one are loud rude and toothless.

Be very careful when ordering without onions. They LOVE onions on everything. NEVER get iced tea. They clean the machine once a year.

by Anonymousreply 2104/07/2012

At best bland, at worst outright nasty.

by Anonymousreply 2204/07/2012

"At best bland, at worst outright nasty."

A perfect description of Panera's headquarters city, St. Louis.

by Anonymousreply 2304/07/2012

[quote]DISGUSTING. And the staff at the White Plains NY one are loud rude and toothless.

White Plains, NY?

Oh, honey, you have a lot more to worry about than the state of your local Panera.

by Anonymousreply 2404/07/2012

I feel bad for OP. He seem to have expected to share in his love of Panera. But, for the most part, he was shot down with Panera-sucks comments.

by Anonymousreply 2504/07/2012

Decent enough food but overpriced for what it is.

The store I've patronized (once) gives you a beeper to let you know when your to-go order is ready. It squicked me out to think about all the germs on it and how they probably never wipe it off. I won't be going back.

by Anonymousreply 2604/07/2012

It is the Olive Garden of sandwich shops.

Subway is the McDonalds, of course.

And Quiznos is the Wendy's.

I feel sorry for people who don't have access to a wide variety of Mom & Pop joints.

by Anonymousreply 2704/07/2012

Eldergays with eating disorders are all over this thread.

by Anonymousreply 2804/07/2012

I'm actually getting a kick out of it, R25!

by Anonymousreply 2904/07/2012

I'll say one thing on their behalf - they put free WiFi in their cafes long before it was widely available.

by Anonymousreply 3004/07/2012

Quiznos super sucks. It is the White Castle.

by Anonymousreply 3104/07/2012

St Louis. That explains it.

by Anonymousreply 3204/07/2012

Their bagels are among the worst.

by Anonymousreply 3304/07/2012

White Plains NY is just fine, r24. When was the last time you were there or read about it? 1978?

by Anonymousreply 3404/07/2012

It sucks. Everything sucks.

by Anonymousreply 3504/07/2012

Anyone eat at Atlanta Bread? It's the same as Panera, a slight step up. Do NOT EVER order eggs, however, they heat up frozen omletes. I've never eaten anything so revolting.

by Anonymousreply 3604/07/2012

I eat there fairly often, and get something not on the menu but they make for me anyway: grilled cheese on ciabatta. It's great. But I go there for a few other reasons. They're a socially-concious company. They have at least one location where there are no listed prices, so you pay as much or as little as you want to. The objective is for homeless people to eat there for what they can afford. That's great. Also, and more important to me, my dad used to be one of their suppliers. When he got cancer, a competitor tried to muscle in and take his account, but Panera told the competitor to back off, and stood up for my dad. It's rare to see a company with a conscience, but they have one. Companies like that should be supported, even if there are better and less expensive options.

by Anonymousreply 3704/07/2012

I swear i found rat eggs in my salad there.

by Anonymousreply 3804/07/2012

If you live in Naples, Florida, go to Calistoga. A bit pricier and 10x better.

BTW, we just got Trader Joe's, the only one in Florida. I'm crying as I type.

by Anonymousreply 3904/07/2012

Forgot to mention -- the Panera chicken noodle soup was so old and had been in the heat for so long, the noodles had turned to MUSH. BLEECH!

by Anonymousreply 4004/07/2012

That is nice r37, but sounds like they should be running a charity instead of a business.

There's a reason that in some states it's illegal to not list prices: it's too easy for workers to just overcharge people and keep the extra.

by Anonymousreply 4104/07/2012

Lol at r24

I grew up in White Plains (been gone for many years now). It was a shit hole back in the 80s. Can't imagine what it's like now

Wait, rait eggs??? Lol

by Anonymousreply 4204/07/2012

R42, I've been in Westchester Cty on and off since 1965. You may be thinking of the demo and new office space being built in the late 1970s-80s - a late urban renewal project. Everything in White Plains has been changed over the past twelve years too, new stores, new restaurants, new movie theaters.

Off Main Street around Church St: one Panera Bread, one Atlanta Bread. Both suck.

by Anonymousreply 4304/07/2012

Bland, boring and suburban.

by Anonymousreply 4404/07/2012

I think they have sandwiches made on panera bread at Golden Corral.

by Anonymousreply 4504/07/2012

There's one in Denver that's great. Consistently good food and good service. It's always croweded, too.

by Anonymousreply 4604/07/2012

Pret-A-Manger is the best. Where is Panera Bread? Only in Westchester?

by Anonymousreply 4704/07/2012

[quote] I'll say one thing on their behalf - they put free WiFi in their cafes long before it was widely available.

Another reason why cheapass retirees hang out there. They spend hours drinking free coffee refills and using the wifi. They're too cheap to get an Internet connection at home.

Panera is the Starbucks of the over-65 set.

by Anonymousreply 4804/07/2012

They're all over, R47

by Anonymousreply 4904/07/2012

[qupte]Pret-A-Manger is the best

It's the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 5004/07/2012

Oh, that's a vile little chain. I pass by the one near the studios in Astoria sometimes. It smells.

It's disturbing what a lot of you consider to be good food. I grew up in a house where my mom or dad made us food everyday. Made our lunch to take to school, had dinner made for us, even if it was an omelet or a smorgasbord- Not packaged foods, not processed, not frozen.

I am not a health nut, but there is no reason to go to Panera Bread. It even sounds fake and nasty.

by Anonymousreply 5104/07/2012

If you're into carbohydrates, then Panera is for you.

by Anonymousreply 5204/07/2012

Well pardon us, O' Sanctimonious Food Snob R51. Many of us have also grown up in households with parents who cooked. That has nothing to do with wanting a quick bite while on the go and dropping in to a Panera to pick up a sandwich or a bagel. Also, just because the Panera Bread that [italic]you[/italic] happen by every day happens to smell does not mean that they all do.

by Anonymousreply 5304/07/2012

All the ones i've been in smell odd too. Not a draw-you-in bakery aroma, it's more like a weird processed food smell. You can tell they're baking something in there, and it probably has something to do with cheese and lunch meat.

by Anonymousreply 5404/07/2012

Good breakfast pastries.

by Anonymousreply 5504/07/2012

Hey. I never eat there, unlike some of you. And I have 100 locations to avoid.

by Anonymousreply 5604/07/2012

All tastes like cafeteria food

by Anonymousreply 5704/07/2012

Thanks r39. I do have a home there and will be checking this one out.

by Anonymousreply 5804/07/2012

OP, what were you expecting really? This is the Datalounge, where EVERYONE eats exclusively at "Mom and Pop" shops (like Mom and Pop don't serve slop), high end restaurants, or are cooking nightly in their own kitchens, snipping tomatoes and onions from their gardens in their fabulous professionally landscaped backyards.

I like Panera for the most part, but I do agree that they're overpriced for what they offer. I try to hit them up first thing in the morning, and I buy a couple of loaves of fresh bread so I can make my own sandwiches throughout the week. The Tomato Basil and Three Cheese are divine. The ciabatta is great for making your own breakfast sandwiches.

The pastry items look much better than they taste. I'm not tempted by them anymore.

Soups are okay, but nothing special. You can find better quality in your local grocery store for half the price. In fact, you can find refrigerated Paneral soup in your local Costco for half the price.

Buy their bread and make your own sandwiches OP. You'll be happier.

by Anonymousreply 5904/07/2012

[quote]BTW, we just got Trader Joe's, the only one in Florida. I'm crying as I type.

I saw that Naples and Sarasota have TJ now. That means Tampa/Orlando is finally on their radar.

by Anonymousreply 6004/07/2012

Trader Joe's on the east coast doesn't have the same wonderful sourdough bread as TJs in California but I'm still happy I have one nearby.

by Anonymousreply 6104/07/2012

I have relatives who live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. They love to eat at Panera. I usually end up at a Panera with them at some point each visit. There is a particular Panera on Randall Road that I have never had a good experience in - each time I have eaten there I have ended up either vomiting or having diarrhea immediately after. There's another Panera on 72 where I never had any problem.

by Anonymousreply 6204/07/2012

[quote]each time I have eaten there I have ended up either vomiting or having diarrhea immediately.

Mary! Why in god's name would you ever return to a restaurant after the first time this happened?

by Anonymousreply 6304/07/2012

I've only been to Panera Bread a couple of times, so I haven't tried a lot from their menu. I do like their Mediterranean Veggie sandwich. It's hummus & feta cheese, with loads of veggies. I'm a vegetarian, so I always appreciate when fast food chains actually have some meatless options on their menu. In the fast food world, that's kind of rare.

by Anonymousreply 6404/07/2012

You have no idea how powerful my family members are towards me when I visit. It's like some kind of Catholic redemption ritual Bataan Death March to their favorite dining establishments.

by Anonymousreply 6504/07/2012

I love their Thai chopped salad, Op.

by Anonymousreply 6604/07/2012

The last time I ate there was several years ago when I found an army of ants living in the slice of bread that came with my soup.

by Anonymousreply 6704/07/2012

It's the Olive Garden of sandwich shop/bakeries.

by Anonymousreply 6804/07/2012

Did someone say Olive Garden? YUM!

by Anonymousreply 6904/07/2012

It is VERY VERY expensive. I did like the steak and blue cheese salad. But recently someone I work with told me there was a fingernail in her salad. So, I'm done.

by Anonymousreply 7004/07/2012

"The store I've patronized (once) gives you a beeper to let you know when your to-go order is ready. "

WOW! I wonder if that's something any of the other 1493 locations might consider trying for themselves some day?

by Anonymousreply 7104/07/2012

when i was in Philly i went to a place called Corner Bakery Cafe that seemed to do the 'panera' concept well: bakery serving fresh food in a clean place in a fast-food setting. And it smelled like a bakery.

by Anonymousreply 7204/08/2012

If you're into carbohydrates, then Panera is for you.

Also if you're into sodium. Just check out the nutrition info on their site and you'll see what I mean. 1 sandwich can have as much sodium as you're supposed to eat for an entire day.

by Anonymousreply 7304/08/2012

r72, I love Corner Bakery. They have a breakfast panini with very thin bread that is about 300 calories. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 7404/08/2012

I like Cosi's bread better.

by Anonymousreply 7504/08/2012

I tried to use their Internet and I looked up the AIDS and it gave me a screen that says, "Go away gay, we at Panera have NO immunity to AIDS."

So I goes to the manager and he's all like 'Whatevers.' And I was all upset and says, "As if," and he was all in my face, "Chill out, bit for tuna."

by Anonymousreply 7604/08/2012

[quote]I find their tomato soup with asagio cheese croutons comforting.

'Oh Dear' troll... you're fired.

it's ASIAGO

not ASAGIO

by Anonymousreply 7704/11/2012

Those nasty-ass things they call potato chips are disgusting!

by Anonymousreply 7804/11/2012

Ok, I have to say this now: I love their potato chips! I've gone to Panera just to get the chips and nothing else!

Why do you hate them, why? They're so crunchy! I just adore kettle chips. Absolute heaven.

by Anonymousreply 7904/11/2012

You won't find a Panera Bread in Eastchester, NY!

by Anonymousreply 8004/03/2013

What spread goes best with Panera's pumpkin bagel?

by Anonymousreply 8109/21/2013

[all posts by flame bait troll (hates:men,women,muslims,gays,lesbians,jews and Obama, loves posting about stabbing women, bashing gays, killing jews etc.) #10 removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 8209/21/2013

R82 that is true of every restaurant/food serving establishment. Now grow up and move along.

by Anonymousreply 8309/21/2013

[quote]Those nasty-ass things they call potato chips are disgusting!

Their apples are always bruised all to hell too.

[quote]If I told you what goes on - you would never eat there.

Well, spill it.

by Anonymousreply 8409/21/2013

Bump for bagel spread recs.

by Anonymousreply 8509/22/2013

R85 Make your own with cream cheese in an electric mixer. Use the paddle attachment if you have a stand mixer, but a hand mixer will do the trick.

Do not use a Cuisinart unless you truly know what you're doing, or you'll have soup, which you'll have to re-refrigerate.

by Anonymousreply 8609/22/2013

OP has never visited Montreal. You'll go on a hunger strike on return to the States. They raise the bar up there.

by Anonymousreply 8709/22/2013

It's too bad they don't offer the sun-dried tomato cream cheese spread anymore, because when you spread it on the Asiago cheese bagel, it tasted just like pizza. Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 8809/22/2013

[quote]I worked at a Panera in college and I will never eat there.

Management is very focused on the surface appearance of freshness and cleanliness while behind the doors at Panera is a completely different story...

If I told you what goes on - you would never eat there.

So in other words you didn't do your job?

These "I worked in a restaurant once.." or "My roommate worked in a restaurant..." are just so fascinating.

Of course they never end with - "So I called the health department..." or "We were investigated for food poisoning...".

Kitchens get dirty. Some staff will mishandle food.

People eat out all the time - and I've yet to see the news story about national pandemic of food poisoning due to dirty kitchens.

by Anonymousreply 8909/22/2013

R88 Easy to make your own.

by Anonymousreply 9009/22/2013

This is a real fat-ass frau thread. Chain restaurant food described as Heaven. Bliss. Yum. Absolute heavenly.

I've never heard any adult who is less than 50 lbs overweight use these terms and no one less than 100 lbs overweight use these words to describe chain sandwich shop food.

Tuna salad made with HFCS! Yum!

Chemically laden bagels with fat saturated toppings! Heaven on earth!

by Anonymousreply 9109/22/2013

It is way overpriced, I'll stick with McDonald's.

by Anonymousreply 9209/22/2013

Panera Bread typifies "frau feed" - yummy, high-fat "comfort food" that is eaten on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 9309/22/2013

I hate "yummy."

by Anonymousreply 9409/22/2013

It's like an inverse sandwich

by Anonymousreply 9509/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.