Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Haunted Houses

Has anyone ever lived in or stayed at a haunted house or other haunted location? I want to be scared so I'll have to sleep with the lights on.

by Anonymousreply 18011/04/2014

I used to live in one.

Then it killed me.

Now I haunt the house.

by Anonymousreply 104/06/2012

Ghosts don't scare me but shadow people do. Their intentions are often times evil. But the all-time worst ghoul is the hatman! He is seen all over the country but mostly in the southwest, for some reason. He is an evil spirit let loose in the form of a tall ghoul with either a top hat or fedora on.

The hatman may in fact be a curse let loose by native americans to frighten the whites (but everyone can see him). He seems to be a soul-sucker, same as the shadow people. However, it is the shadow people who are seen in hospitals entering or leaving the room of the dying.

If you see a shadow person just start prayin'. If you see the hatman either get a priest to come bless your house or a native person to handle it.

Both the shadow people and the hatman are willing to destroy you and your animals. they are soul-sucker, like I said, and seem to feed off of our life force.

by Anonymousreply 204/06/2012

My sister told me my 10 year old nephew regularly sees two ghost girls in their house. Didn't bother him until recently.

by Anonymousreply 304/06/2012

Seriously. Two weeks ago I stayed at the Hotel Bothwell in Sedalia, Missouri. A 1920s hotel that has been kept and restored in an unusually authentic way. And the fact that it has stayed on the courthouse square, seven stories worth, in a town of that size is a real credit.

I was in a large room facing the square. At around 2 a.m. I was still awake, listening to music. I felt weird and with the light peeking through the curtains from the street I saw the figure of a man, all in black, move from the door into the room and stop by the bed. I couldn't see the face but it looked like a black suit, black hat, like a palpable shadow. And it felt nasty, not like a blip or image but like something was there. And then it just disappeared.

I grew up in an occult-aware family but had never seen anything like it. I mentioned it to the clerk and she said they had many reports from staff and guests over the years, concerning a variety of things. (Speakeasy during Prohibition, K.C. mob used it for meetings, etc.) The housekeeping manager walked over and said, "He's usually up on seven." I was on three.

I had to return last week and I stayed there again, in a room right above the one I stayed in the first time. No sightings, no weird feelings. But right a 2:00 I woke up to use the bathroom. Before I got up, though, something let out a long, low growl in the room, from the location of the sofa. About 10 seconds worth. And that was that.

I said, "Fuck you," and got up to go pee. But I dutifully reported the experience when I checked out. Apparently the owners try to squelch the stories because they're Mormon and don't like that sort of thing. I guess they're out of touch with their roots.

by Anonymousreply 404/06/2012

I read about the "hat man" AND THAT IS TRULY SOME EVIL SCARY SHIT.

Apparently there are reports that even looking at images of the hat man on youtube or in photos is enough to summon him into your life.

by Anonymousreply 504/06/2012

sorry wrong link above

here's the link to The Hat Man Project

by Anonymousreply 604/06/2012

The hat man sounds like Baron Samedi, the voodoo death god.

Not really a ghost either, but this is one supernatural entity I don't want to see hovering outside my window in the middle of the night.

From "A Dictionary of the Occult," edited by Julian Franklyn:

In the Malay Peninsula, vampires consist of a human head, with the entrails hanging forth from the severed neck in a long streaming appendage. These horrors fly through the air, sucking blood wheresoever they may come upon an unprotected sleeper, their favourite victims being children.

by Anonymousreply 704/06/2012

My house is supposed to have seven or so ghosts. Some of the stories have been published, and the (mostly) old-timer neighbors always ask after them.

by Anonymousreply 804/06/2012

I used to live a few blocks from The Amityville Horror House, does that count?

by Anonymousreply 904/06/2012

My friend saw what I think is the hat man at her boyfriend's house. She woke up one night and saw a very tall man by the bedroom door with a trench coat on and a hat. She said his head was very small. She couldn't see his face but she could make out the buttons on his coat. She said that she was terrified and felt like she couldn't move. When she told her boyfriend the next morning he said that that ghost/shadow person whatever it was visited him all the time.

by Anonymousreply 1004/06/2012

[quote]When she told her boyfriend the next morning he said that that ghost/shadow person whatever it was visited him all the time.

"Visited him"? For what, a nice chat and some cheese and crackers?

by Anonymousreply 1104/06/2012

I had a friend who lived in a haunted house, but she...well, you know the rest.

by Anonymousreply 1204/06/2012

[quote]Apparently there are reports that even looking at images of the hat man on youtube or in photos is enough to summon him into your life.

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 1304/06/2012

I lived in one for a summer when I was a little kid. I had nightmares the whole time. My parents would hear and see things and would feel like someone was watching them nearby when they were alone in various rooms or even lying in bed. A girl who had lived in the house had died the summer before in an accident.

by Anonymousreply 1404/06/2012

I believe but I'm always suspect of people waking up in the middle of the night and seeing something. I saw a shadow person, plain as day and moving in a room in broad daylight so I know I wasn't dreaming.

by Anonymousreply 1504/07/2012

That hat man scares the shit out of me. Both of my sisters growing up had weird things happen to them sleeping in the basement of our house. They both felt hands going up and down their bodies in bed and the pressure of someone laying on top of them, also heard whispering in their ears. One of them was showering and the water turned off, she actually saw the knobs turning.

by Anonymousreply 1604/07/2012

My house has spirits fhat im used to.

I stayed at The Planters Inn in Savannah and nearly lost my mind from the ghost there.

by Anonymousreply 1704/07/2012

Many years ago when my older sister was very young ,and out on her own working and trying to find a place to live, a friend of hers suggested a house she owned which hadn't been occupied in a long time.She said she was eventually going to sell the house. My sister took her offer. It turns out, this house was haunted by a ghost of an old man ,and my sister saw it and in fact there was a cold spot in one room. But, this didn't bother my sister because she is pretty tough. However, when my mother and others came to visit my sister, they felt like their hair was standing on end and they literally got goose bumps. They came to visit my sister for the first time ,and they had no idea the house was haunted. They all felt this strong negativity of the house. My mother urged my sister to get out of there as soon as she could. I stayed over night at the house when I was a little kid ,and it was so weird because it had many levels of rooms going deep into the ground. It was just freaky. BTW, my sister didn't live there that long at all.

by Anonymousreply 2004/07/2012

creepy thread.

by Anonymousreply 2204/07/2012

What's the difference between ghost and shadow people?

by Anonymousreply 2304/07/2012

Places are not haunted, people are.

by Anonymousreply 2404/07/2012

R21 what does being atheist have to do with anything? I'm also an atheist but have had many paranormal experiences. It doesn't make me question or believe in an invisible sky fairy, just that there are other forms of energy that exist on ours and other planes, and that some are earthbound until they work out whatever they need to.

by Anonymousreply 2504/07/2012

My partner and I bought a house built in the 1800s and we heard all sorts of stories about the history of the people who lived there. One was about a father with children who tried to burn it down and wound up injuring most of his kids but killing his son. Another was a young mother who threw her baby down a well when she discovered her husband was unfaithful. A couple of others but the stories can't be proven 100%. Regardless, shortly after we moved in, we started hearing this noise within one part of a wall and it soon became a soft thumping. We thought it might be an animal so we followed the sound and came to a paneled crawl space. My partner removed the paneling and then crawled inside a little to have a look. He wasn't in the space for more than a moment when he began to freak out. (He's not one to panic and usually jokes about me not being to handle being scared.). After he scrambled out, he started to yell "there's something in there" and later said he saw something at the end of the space but then it darted towards him very quickly. We sealed up the space but have heard and seen things around the house. Most people who are aware of "things" in the house don't have anything happen to them but people who don't know or scoff usually attract attention.

by Anonymousreply 2604/07/2012

I would imagine in general atheists don't believe in anything other than the absolute physical, certainly not ghost or earthbound energies.

by Anonymousreply 2704/07/2012

r27 what a stupid thing to say. Science doesn't and cannot explain everything, yet. It has nothing to do with religion, how bizarre to think that someone has to believe in a God or other fairytales to accept that paranormal exists. Para-normal is something that cannot be explained as of yet.

If you see a curtain seemingly move on its own and it happens to be near an open window, you know right away it's because of the wind, even if you cannot see the wind. Someone explained the concept of the wind to you once and from them on for you it was normal. Now if you didn't understand the concept of it and saw a curtain move on its own you would freak the fuck out.

Now if you see a chair move on its own in the middle of a room, and there is no scientific reason for it to do so, then to you by definition it's not normal, it's paranormal. It means that it cannot be explained yet. Something that you cannot see is causing the chair to move, just like the wind causes curtains to move. The reason why, nobody has it. Yet.

What does that have to do with religion...?

by Anonymousreply 2804/07/2012

I've posted this here before but here goes. My brother's mother-in-law works for the historical society in their town and runs a very old plantation that was started in the 1600's. They even tried a witch and dragged her through the lake at the plantation. The house is supposedly haunted by several ghosts. The MIL once stayed there overnight and got the shit scared out her but the weirdest thing is my little niece who would spend her days with grandma at the plantation had a "friend" she talked to at the plantation. When questioned about who she was talking to she claimed it was a little boy who died there "a long time ago" and was lonely. Turns out a little boy did die of some fever there in the 1800's. The house supposedly has a grieving girl whose fiancee was killed or vanished, the little boy and several angry slave ghosts.

Maybe children are more receptive to the other side.

by Anonymousreply 2904/07/2012

R28, do you believe in life after death.

by Anonymousreply 3004/07/2012

[quote]atheists don't believe in anything other than the absolute physical

[quote]do you believe in life after death(?)

These would make good new threads.

by Anonymousreply 3104/07/2012

[quote]Turns out a little boy did die of some fever there in the 1800's.

Well of course he did, and other little boys and little girls, too, and people of all ages; probably a great many if the place was of the least size.

Descendants of the the family that owned my house for some 150 years recall that as late as the 1950s, the five-bedroom house had over 20 beds in it (all of them occupied in the summer months), multi-generations and extended relations spilling out into the hallways, along with the occasional pair of school teachers who needed a place to live. They recall oddball uncles who committed suicide, the regular use of of one of the best rooms for family funerals (and weddings.) Even people alive today recall children dying here as a not wholly surprising thing; in the 18th and 19thC, it would have been half-expected that a child born here might not reach adulthood. The family cemetery next door is filled with ample evidence, both of the numbers of people who lived and died here and the numbers of little boys who also died here.

That's 10 to 20 people living just inside a modest plantation house. In the first half of the 19thC, there were three dozen slaves living here at any one time as well, and a slave graveyard at the opposite end of the property.

That a little boy happened to have lived and died at a particular house in the 19thC shouldn't be a startling coincidence. It would only be surprising if one (more likely many) had not.

by Anonymousreply 3204/07/2012

Christ R32 I think we can all figure out that many people died there. Don't get so worked up about it. The point is she was talking to a little dead boy.

by Anonymousreply 3304/07/2012

Where do ghosts fit into Abrahamic religious doctrine? Where in the Torah, the Bible or the Koran is there anything whatsoever about ghosts? Other than Jesus, I guess. Ghosts are a folk belief that are unrelated to monotheistic faith.

by Anonymousreply 3404/07/2012

I am an atheist and I believe in life after death. What does "God" have to do with it?

Like R28, I don't believe that atheism and the paranormal are mutually exclusive. I've had too many unexplainable experiences and known too many other people who have.

by Anonymousreply 3504/07/2012

[quote]I am an atheist and I believe in life after death.

Those two things cannot co-exist.

by Anonymousreply 3604/07/2012

Which fundamentalist group do you belong to, R36?

by Anonymousreply 3704/07/2012

[quote]Those two things cannot co-exist.

First of all, yes they can.

Second, start a new thread. This one's about haunted houses.

by Anonymousreply 3804/07/2012

Why not R36? I think a soul is something that can go into another plane of existence or dimension.

by Anonymousreply 3904/07/2012

r21, your message has been bothering me since I read it early this morning. I need to ask you a question so I can settle down: did you go back to the room to get your stuff, did you not take your stuff into the room, or did you leave your stuff behind?

by Anonymousreply 4004/07/2012

R21 that story is creepy. Are you sure it wasn't some crazy guest who sneaked into your room somehow?

by Anonymousreply 4104/07/2012

Angels are a religious notion...but can a ghost be an angel or an angel be a ghost?

by Anonymousreply 4204/07/2012

R34, there are NO ghosts in the Bible or christianity, none at all.

by Anonymousreply 4304/07/2012

Belle Terre, our ancestral plantation home, has been haunted for generations. The restless spirits wander through the wisteria groves crying out for human companionship. Why just last night I sat up in bed and talked to my deceased Mammy for over an hour. She said the afterlife was dreadful - like how she remembered Cleveland. I would rather death be like Atlanta - or even Mobile.

Sometimes I feel mysterious, ethereal hands moving up and down my body through my gauzy underclothes. I cling in fear to the collonades and shiver in the misty darkness as my bosom and inner thighs are violated. I can sense the hunger of the ghosts waiting to caress my womanhood as if they long for one last fleshy touch.

by Anonymousreply 4404/07/2012

Maybe this? R42

by Anonymousreply 4504/07/2012

Well we Jewish people certainly don't believe in ghosts. Now if you'll excuse me i have to cook the Passover seder and splash some lambs blood on the front door to scare away the Angel of Death.

by Anonymousreply 4604/07/2012

Those who have had supernatural experiences might thereafter be more interested in the notion of the Holy Ghost.

by Anonymousreply 4704/07/2012

I am an athiest but I have had paranormal experiences. Obviously there are a lot of things that go on, that we don't understand. I still don't believe in a god but I kind of believe in other dimensions. It could explain UFOs also. I mean there have been many UFO sightings from reasonable people...how can we explain them?

by Anonymousreply 4804/07/2012

Thanks r45. So from this I take it that the only ghost that exists is Jesus himself. I guess that makes sense and leads more credence to rising from the dead and such.

by Anonymousreply 4904/07/2012

Why R47? I think ghosts could possibly be psychic imprints left behind or maybe time ripples.

by Anonymousreply 5004/07/2012

I'm surprised nobody has yet built a haunted-themed hotel, kind of like the Haunted Mansion and Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.

by Anonymousreply 5104/07/2012

Boo.

by Anonymousreply 5204/07/2012

I posted this once before in another ghost thread, but I saw a shadow man once. It was back in 1999 and one evening I came home from work very tired, and laid down on my bed for a nap, with my bedroom door open. I was sleeping on my back and a short time later I woke up with a start, but I could not move a muscle. Seriously, it was like I was paralyzed. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a tall, shadowy figure in profile in the hallway outside my bedroom door, and this thing was wearing a fedora-style hat. I was terrified, it was a horrible, primal fear that I'd never felt before or since. I must have lost consciousness because I woke up hours later and the thing was gone. I lived in that apartment for another 8 months and never had another experience, thank god. Whatever those things are, they are definitely real.

by Anonymousreply 5304/07/2012

Why would you let a ghost scare you out of your room? I have to admit, I'm such an angry person...any ghost would run from me in terror.

by Anonymousreply 5404/07/2012

sleep paralysis, r53. nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 5504/07/2012

There are Ghost Tours in all major cities. People believe in ghost.

by Anonymousreply 5604/07/2012

[quote]Those two things cannot co-exist.

I'm an atheist and I don't believe in life after death, but there's no reason they have to be mutually exclusive. I'm perfectly open to believing in an afterlife, but no one has given me enough proof.

Anyway, I don't believe in ghosts, but I find the idea of them fascinating. Please, more stories.

by Anonymousreply 5704/07/2012

Have you personally experienced "sleep paralysis", r55? I'm not r53, but I've been through some terrifying experiences with the hat man. I was told it was nothing more than sleep paralysis. I researched it and it did sound like it, but I don't understand why lots of people experience visits from the hat man during this supposed state of half-sleep. I've experienced (supposedly) SP several times, and on every occasion the hat man visited me. He even sat on my bed and leaned so close to my face that I could feel his breath on me. I have never, ever, in my life experienced the fear and presence of pure evil like I did when the hat man was in my room, during supposed sleep paralysis episodes. Call it what you want, but I know what I experienced, and all I can tell you is that Evil was there. A type of evil like no other.

by Anonymousreply 5804/07/2012

R53, this really sounds like sleep paralysis. It happened to me once also, and it is very disturbing—but it's not that uncommon.

by Anonymousreply 5904/07/2012

Are the clothes that ghosts wear the ghosts of deceased garments or do ghosts get a new set of clothes when they die? Do ghosts ever update their wardrobe? Do people ever see ghosts of people dressed as cavemen, or, for that matter, Jesus?

by Anonymousreply 6004/07/2012

I haven't seen the hat man but I did wake up once and thought I saw an animal like creature crouched next to my bed. It jumped on the bed and my bed shook. I'm assuming it was sleep paralysis but who knows. All I know is that SP is linked to aliens and demonic presence.

by Anonymousreply 6104/07/2012

I do think if a person was a mean son-of-a-bitch in life, he'll probably hang around and be a son of a bitch after death. It kind of makes sense that just because the body dies...it doesn't always follow that everything in the personality will die too.

by Anonymousreply 6204/07/2012

Well, I never knew anyone who said they saw God...even when they fucked a movie star...I have known a couple of people who said they saw a ghost and I believed them.

by Anonymousreply 6404/07/2012

Fanatical christians are more tiresome R63. I don't believe in a god watching over us personally. If there is some omniscient being it is uninvolved, uncaring and possibly unaware of our tiny little corner of the universe. We would be mere insects to it. And, yes, anything is possible.

by Anonymousreply 6504/07/2012

Sleep paralysis might account for some shadow/hatman encounters, but it certainly does not account for any of the ones people have when they are awake, and when there is more than one witness.

Those who instantly respond with "sleep paralysis" every time somebody mentions seeing this entity should read some of the accounts in the site linked to below. Let's see how glib you are then.

by Anonymousreply 6604/07/2012

R63, you're way off-topic. But since we're going there, thumbs up to R65.

by Anonymousreply 6704/07/2012

Our former 50s-style ranch house was haunted by a very "helpful" female presence (I always got the sense that she was someone's mom) who used to put things away in the strangest places: corkscrew in the dish cupboard, personal items like jewelry in the linen closet, etc. Sometimes when we came home at night there would be a light on that we hadn't turned on before we left.

Maybe I should have looked up the ownership history of the house before we left, but I liked our little mystery. She was a very benign presence, and I sort of miss her, although the incidents always freaked out my partner.

by Anonymousreply 6804/07/2012

[quote]Atheists are tiresome. Why not just believe in ALL of it, then, or just say that ANYTHING is possible, rather than all the selective "NO SKY FAIRIES but..possibly life after death. And maybe paranormal stuff is really true. And maybe ghosts exist. And there are a lot of things we haven't figured out that do exist. But DEFINITELY NO SKY FAIRIES. NO GOD. Because, you know, that's just insane."

Well, I can't speak for all atheists, and I find some of the louder voices obnoxious as well, but my answer about God is the same as my opinion about ghosts: Show me the proof. God, being a immensely more extraordinary claim requires more extraordinary proof than even ghosts.

by Anonymousreply 6904/07/2012

Someone posted here once about having an encounter in a store with some character who exuded pure evil, making all the hairs on his arms stand up. Another patron saw the same thing.

Can't remember what thread it was but it was really creepy.

by Anonymousreply 7004/07/2012

R63, what is the connection between a belief in God and a belief in an afterlife? Why would the existence of ghosts have any bearing on the existence of God any more than the existence of a living entity would?

If anything, a ghost is PROOF there is no heaven or hell - since it's a dead person, and it's not in either place.

by Anonymousreply 7104/07/2012

The idea, R71, is that a ghost is the spirit of a dead person who neither got into heaven nor was banished to hell. Some people surmise that such "lost spirits" are the results of people who died suddenly, tragically or unaware of their fate.

by Anonymousreply 7204/07/2012

What if there isn't a heaven or hell R72? Wouldn't it be more likely these are the spirits crossing over from another plane of existence?

by Anonymousreply 7304/07/2012

R21 here, I sorta edited the experience, when I jumped out of bed I leaned against the wall starting at him, I slowly moved to the door, he was watching me, as I looked down to get the door I looked back he was gone.

I was too afraid to go into the room so after a short while I gathered the guts to prop the door open with a chair, I was afraid it would shut on me, I grabbed my things a quick as possible and bolted, the room was empty and there was no other way in or out.

What I'll always remember is there was a sort simple look to his face, like he was you know a bit simple. But the experience came from no where, I was 34, I had never had any thing like happen to me before or since. Scared the shit out of me. I could feel my heart blasting in my chest, like it was going to smash the chest bone.

by Anonymousreply 7404/07/2012

It sounds frightening if you are 34 but by the time you reach a certain age, you feel ready to take on anything.

by Anonymousreply 7504/07/2012

You should have asked the manager or whatever of the guest house if they had a ghost or if it could have been a crazy guest who found another way into your room.

Whichever one it is a creepy story.

by Anonymousreply 7604/07/2012

R21, that wasn't a ghost. It was just the children of the owner concocting an elaborate prank to prevent the owner from selling their guest house.

by Anonymousreply 7704/07/2012

I don't understand how someone can claim to be an atheist and say they believe in life after death at the same time. I'm agnostic and don't believe in life after death.

by Anonymousreply 7804/07/2012

I understand it R78. You don't have to believe in a deity to believe that the soul gets recycled or whatever. More than likely though we just die and turn to dust. It will be like before we were born. Eternal unconsciousness.

by Anonymousreply 7904/07/2012

I'm a science dummy but aren't people a kind of energy and what they put out in life, love, goodness, hate, evil, also a kind of energy? If so isn't there something about energy not being able to be created or destroyed? (Now of course if that part is true it makes me ask if energy can't be created how would it get into the person in the first place) but if we and our emotions are a kind of energy, wouldn't that always stay around and maybe some people are able, after they die, keep their form sticking to their energy, good or evil.

That makes me also ask most of you here who have had a ghost experience seem to have had a frightening or evil feeling about the ghost. Has anyone had a really good, comforting experience, like a parent or sibling, friend or pet coming back to help or comfort?

by Anonymousreply 8004/07/2012

I'm an atheist who has had undeniable paranormal experiences. Haven't had them since I was a teenager, though.

When I was in high school, a bunch of my friends and I were really into using a ouija board. We eventually began to feel so threatened by the "spirit" we were "communicating" with that we burned the Parker Bros. board we had. But we were so addicted to it, we ended up making one out of a piece of cardboard or something almost immediately.

All of that sounds retarded enough, I know, but there were incidents that were pretty bizarre; I don't usually talk about them because I have a difficult time reconciling them with my atheism and general skepticism. One involved a request by me and my friend that the "ghost" extinguish the flame of a candle we had burning in the dining room where we were using the ouija board (it obliged). Another time, I was using the board with a friend who was beginning to grow weary of my near-obsession with it, and he kept his hand on the planchette while watching TV--not paying attention at all to what was being spelled out on the board. I had my own fingertips resting so lightly on the planchette that it was impossible for me to have been guiding it, and as I said, my friend wasn't even looking at the board. I find it hard to understand how the device could have worked as well as it did under those conditions.

This is to say nothing of the times when we got the "spirit" to raise up the pointed end of the planchette in mid air--again with neither of us exerting any sufficient pressure on our end to make it stand up so. If you have a board set, get it out and try it. It's a hard trick to pull off even if you're trying to fake it. Which we weren't.

by Anonymousreply 8104/07/2012

Dentist's offices are said to be the most haunted places along with hospitals. So I think the energy generated by the feelings of fear and pain (which is what people feel in both places) is what causes these "hauntings". They're just energy. No evil beings.

by Anonymousreply 8204/07/2012

My older sister and her family had frequent visits from entities in their old home. My sister actually chased what she referred to as demons around the interior of her house in the middle if the night. Her husband saw them as well.

by Anonymousreply 8304/07/2012

One other thing I just remembered, relevant to this thread: I suffered from sleep paralysis/hat man nightmares when I was a kid for about a year or so.

I used to have a recurring dream, probably when I was just starting to fall asleep at night, that there was a 'hat man' (to me, it appeared to be Freddy Krueger; it was the 80s, after all) lurking inside my bedroom closet. He'd appear in the dark of my room, standing in the doorway of the closet, and take several fake lunges at me -- forward into the room, closer to my bed, and then retreating -- until finally he made a leap through the air and almost landed on me as I was lying in bed, paralyzed and terrified. And then I'd wake up.

But always, at the moment of waking, the paralysis would continue, and I remember having the distinct feeling of levitating above my bed. Not an out-of-body experience per se, as I was not floating up by the ceiling looking down on myself. I actually felt like my entire body was levitating, and it looked it, too, from my vantage point. It was really quite a rush, but always terrifying. I had this dream so many times that eventually I decided I was going to put a stop to the "levitation" aspect of it, as that was the point at which I felt the most terror.

So the next time I had the dream, after "Freddy" lunged at me but before I could begin "levitating", I grasped tightly at the sides of my twin-size mattress and lo and behold, I did not experience the sensation of levitating.

After that, I never had the dream again.

by Anonymousreply 8404/07/2012

I had sleep paralysis and had the floating above my body experience as well.

by Anonymousreply 8504/07/2012

[quote] I was told it was nothing more than sleep paralysis. I researched it and it did sound like it, but I don't understand why lots of people experience visits from the hat man during this supposed state of half-sleep. I've experienced (supposedly) SP several times, and on every occasion the hat man visited me.

Yet it seems like you don't want to put two and two together, why?

It's a reocurring nightmare in a half-sleeping state. I have the same shit except that it's not a hatman, it's some sort of short man/gnome wearing a striped suit with a crazy rage-filled smile that would freeze your blood. He looks at me like terrifying me is the funniest thing in the world. And my eyes are wide open, and I can't move, and I know what that shit is, it will feel even longer and worse if Ive taken codeine or other stuff the night before. He doesn't "visit" me. It's brought on by my own brain. It's sleep paralysis.

It's awful but it's not paranormal.

Y'all have to figure out what movie you saw when you were kids with a hatman in it that traumatized your generation...

by Anonymousreply 8604/07/2012

'A Nightmare On Elm Street', R86!

by Anonymousreply 8704/07/2012

[quote]The point is she was talking to a little dead boy.

The point is, you're an idiot if you believe that.

by Anonymousreply 8804/07/2012

There is something in my house

by Anonymousreply 8904/07/2012

Oh Jesus fucking Christ. The hat man.

This thread just reactivated an old, old memory of mine.

In my teens, I used to go for long walks late at night, usually two to three hour walks at 2 or 3 in the morning.

One night, a couple months into these walks, I felt like I was being followed. I turned around and way off in the distance was a man, all in the black. He was a little taller than average, wearing a large-ish black hat. He was also wearing what looked like a cape. He completely freaked me out and I started walking faster to get the hell away from him.

But whoever it was kept following me. I then pretty much ran the rest of the way home.

It took me a couple of weeks to get up the nerve to go for another walk, and sure enough, the man in the hat and cape was there following me again.

Never went for a late night walk again after this second encounter. Getting chills down my spine just typing this.

by Anonymousreply 9004/07/2012

Where did you live r90?

by Anonymousreply 9104/07/2012

I "saw" the ghost of my mother shortly after her death twice. Once I was startled by a lampshade in a dark room and for a second interpreted it as being my mother (it was next to her favorite chair) and once when I dreamed that she came to me and scolded me for leaving her ashes at the funeral home (I called the next day and they had in fact been sitting around there and they'd forgotten to call and tell me they were ready.)

These experiences helped me understand why belief in ghosts is such a universal human experience and why even some very intelligent and well-informed people hold onto the concept so tenaciously. As living beings our survival depends on our ability to perceive the presence of potential dangers, and as social beings we are hyperattuned to perceiving and interpreting cues relating to the presence of other people. Sometimes we misinterpret these cues, or react to something we remember or imagine instead of what's actually there, or confuse phenomena like hallucinations or lucid dreaming with reality. And sometimes when we have strong feelings about a person who's died, or if they've just died and we're not used to the idea yet, they really are there for us for all intents and purposes, in our own minds. So ghosts are real in the sense that it's possible for anyone to experience them in some way or other. Do I "believe" in them? No. I think people die when their brains die. I don't think there's anything like a soul or psychic energy. And in fact I HOPE there's no such thing as ghosts because I wouldn't wish being a ghost on anybody. It sounds like a hellish torture.

by Anonymousreply 9204/07/2012

R26, could your partner have been playing a joke on you? What things have guests experienced?

by Anonymousreply 9304/07/2012

I've told this story here before as well, but I figured I'd share it again. It was 8-10 years ago, when I was still a real estate agent.

A client referred me to her sister who needed help in buying a new place, and selling her current home. The house was an old farmhouse that was in some disrepair. The woman had been divorced for a number of years, but wanted to stay there for her two kids who had grown up in the house.

I will point out that, I'm somewhat sensitive to paranormal phenomena, but still skeptical. I've lived in homes where I've had odd, unexplained things happen that were outside of anything I could ascribe a reason. Upon meeting the homeowner, she explained that the house had been investigated by Ed and Lorraine Warren, and written about. Apparently a number of ghosts were documented.

I never really asked too much and she was more concerned that we may have to disclose this to potential buyers. As we got to know each other further, she did talk more about it. There was one ghost who "defended" her from the former abusive ex. During a physical altercation in the kitchen, the freezer door of the refrigerator opened on it's own, and slammed him in the face knocking the ex unconscious.

By the time I was ready to put the house on the market, I had found her a new home, and my client and her kids were slowly moving out. At my office, I put in the notes of the showing instructions for our receptionist to make sure that while mainly vacant and easy to show, please respect the fact that the owner wasn't completely moved out.

I would review all the showings every week or so, and call the showing agents for feedback. One agent told me he was unable to preview the house. When I asked him why, he told me that as he pulled up, there was an older woman in one of the front windows on the second floor. He told me she looked extremely upset and was shaking her head, and waving her hand no. He got back into car and drove away.

I called my client to see what could have happened. The description didn't match her at all, by the way. She laughed when I asked her, and told me that it was one of the spirits there.

I never had anything happen to me there, and I was there often. There was a pervasive sadness that I felt, and I didn't like being there. I chalk it up to the woman's situation, and the overlay of emotional energy of an abusive spouse. I wonder if any of it could be the house and it's spirits. There were apparently several darker male energies along with at least one female that kept reign on the whole group. Who knows.

by Anonymousreply 9404/07/2012

That's an awesome story r94. When was this? Is the farmhouse currently occupied? Can you share any more details?

by Anonymousreply 9504/07/2012

anyone has a link to the old ghost stories thread?

by Anonymousreply 9604/07/2012

[quote]anyone has a link to the old ghost stories thread?

It was on page 1 about three hours ago.

by Anonymousreply 9704/07/2012

Hi R95.

What else to say. It was at least 8 years ago, maybe longer. The house eventually sold, but it took several years, in a good market, at a very reasonable price. I was not the selling agent. The owner after a year or so, found another agent and agency, and then another one.

I pass by the house from time to time, and it has been fully restored to it's former glory. I don't know who lives there currently, but it has been sold at least once since. I looked the house up on the Warren's website, and found descriptions that match it. They never published addresses and such. I know many people have supposedly debunked them, but especially here in New England, they're sort of local celebrities. Well, Lorraine at least, Ed's dead now.

by Anonymousreply 9804/07/2012

But some people really don't want to die, maybe they hang onto what ever energy they can find?

by Anonymousreply 9904/07/2012

Thanks, R97

by Anonymousreply 10004/07/2012

Once my boyfriend and I were spending the night with some friends. We were falling asleep and I heard what sounded almost like whispering in my ear, "Shoo, shoo, shoo." He said "Um did you hear that?" I said "Yeah, that was weird" and we cuddled up and laughed b/c we had goosebumps. We awoke a few hours later and agreed not to tell them, it was that scary. I even asked about it on DL (you all said I was crazy). Years later they moved to a new place and we told them exactly what had happened. They were totally nonplussed. A comment like "Gee, this is a mild winter" would get more of a reaction.

The other was a house I lived in and all my roommates always said it was haunted. Or had bad "vibes." One guy even burned sage. One day I came home from work convinced my roommate was sleeping. Finally after being quiet a few hours my dog poked the roommate's door open. Nobody there. She'd been talking about going to the beach so I assumed she'd gone. The whole next day and night I had a low grade panic attack and then finally what was probably a seizure (never had one before or since) I woke up with my mattress half on the bed, half on the floor and my tongue bitten pretty severely. I called my boyfriend at the time and told him I had to get out of the house (it was like 3 in the morning) That's how panicked I was, I finally went to my dad's house. On that Monday, I came home from work to find some strangers in the house. They'd broken into the house to look for my roommate who hadn't shown up for work. They'd found her hanging in the attic. She'd killed herself, probably that Friday after work. I will never forget how unsettled I was during those two days. I moved out immediately.

by Anonymousreply 10104/07/2012

Maybe we don't see ghosts of cavemen because their energy fades with time. The oldest ghost I've heard of is a Bronze Age horsemen that haunts Bottlebrush Down in Dorset.

by Anonymousreply 10204/08/2012

The real estate agent's story, which I dug immensely, reminds me of a segment on Unsolved Mysteries that I haven't seen in forever. It was probably the scariest of all their ghost segments. I remember there was a boy coming home from school one afternoon to his house, which if I recall correctly was on sort of a country road, secluded, and no one else was home. He heard the sound of people playing cards upstairs, and went up to investigate. The voices kept getting louder and louder, and then he ran downstairs and out the front door in terror. When he got to the end of the driveway, he turned and looked back at the house and saw someone peering through one of the windows at him.

Scared the HELL out of me!

by Anonymousreply 10304/08/2012

Yeah, why are most ghosts in the sightings usually from about the 18th century up to the 1940s? You never hear about a ghost decked out in parachute pants and a jheri curl.

by Anonymousreply 10404/08/2012

r104, there are many ghosts experiences relating to the nearly departed.

by Anonymousreply 10504/08/2012

"I haven't seen the hat man but I did wake up once and thought I saw an animal like creature crouched next to my bed. It jumped on the bed and my bed shook. I'm assuming it was sleep paralysis but who knows. All I know is that SP is linked to aliens and demonic presence."

This sounds exactly like a segment from BIO's "My Ghost Story". This woman felt things jumping on her bed while sleeping, but when she put on the lights, there was nothing there, so she set up a video camera. Sure enough, on the tape, there was a monkey like creature showing up on her film, it jumped on the side of her bed where her head was, then jumped back down. It was very creepy. It looked like a small capucine (sp) monkey.

Another part of the film showed footsteps across the bottom of her bend but nothing was making them.

Another aspect I never understand about ghosts, hauntings whatever you want to call it, why do these situations always seem to happen at night? No once ever seems to give an explanation as to why sightings are always late at night.

On "Ghost Hunters", "Ghost Adventures", Paranormal State" and every other ghost hunting show, the settings are always at night with the lights out.

Are ghosts and evil entities more perceptive to darkness?

by Anonymousreply 10604/08/2012

For the fear factor, r106! They could absolutely do it during the day. For the audience it's just creepier if it happens on some dark night vision camera. It's also creepier/scarier for the people who experience it : at night you pay more attention since the house and the neighborhood are asleep, hence, it's dead silent and you hear every little sound.

It's always frustrating on Ghost Adventures when they capture something interesting on camera, but because the freaking lights were off you can't see well. In this day and age you figure they'd find a way to have HD equipment, too...

by Anonymousreply 10704/08/2012

R106: Because that is the time of day when the veil to the underworld is at its thinnest.

by Anonymousreply 10804/08/2012

Not true 104. My brother and his friend rented an apartment in a not so interesting building from the 1960's. The type with exterior staircases and terraces to the front entrances surrounding a central courtyard and pool. When thy moved in they saw a young guy about their age sitting in the apartment next door. They were struggling with some of the boxes and were thinking that he might offer to help but no luck. When they got the sofa stuck on the stairs they went to his door and knocked but no answer, yet they could see him sitting on the counter of the kitchen through the part in the curtain. He then apparentley went into the bedroom to avoid them. They asked the landlord sometime later about the guy and found that the apartment had been empty for over twenty years. The building owners son had shot himself in there after he found his girl friend dead in the bed from an overdose. Several of the tenants had seen the ghost.

by Anonymousreply 10904/08/2012

I stayed once at The Myrtles Plantation in LA. It's said to be one of the most haunted homes in the country. Nothing happened, but the breakfast was really good.

by Anonymousreply 11004/08/2012

Well?

by Anonymousreply 11104/08/2012

I had episodes of sleep paralysis when I was growing up. Never saw any entities, though, but maybe sleep paralysis sometimes caused by visitations from these things.

by Anonymousreply 11204/08/2012

That was spooky! There were no responses after I re-loaded this page, then after a posted "well?", the responses to my posts, then showed up!

I just think it's rather bizarre, that these so-called paranormal experts are always ghost hunting, or whatever, during the dead of night. I think hauntings can happen anytime.

A relative lived in a haunted house in Queens, NY. I personally had a handful of experiences there and only one in the dead of night!

The hose was over 100 years old. It was completely renovated. It was bright, warm and not foreboding in the least, the relative did an open plan renovation on the first floor, so it was loft like.

From the first time I stepped in there, around 1977-78, I always felt a weird vibe in that place.

Their huge dog, part Irish Wolfhound, who was sweet and kind of dopey, was always hyper aware of the ghosts or whatever presence was there. He was always looking up to a small stained glass window on the side wall in the entrance area.

One afternoon, when I arrived earlier to help them with a party they were having evening, sure enough the dog detected something. He looked up and a few seconds later there was loud pounding on the wall over the stained glass window, near the ceiling.

The space between the house and the house next door was much too narrow for anyone but a very small child to squeeze through and certainly not get up to ceiling height outside the house, to make that sort of loud pounding noise!

When this happened there was no one in the house but me and the dog, my relative hand already gone out to pick up more items for the party.

Another time when I sleep over, I slept downstairs on a sofa. At night, about 3-4AM, I see this super bright light come from the back of the first floor, where the kitchen was. There was still an alcove doorway, so all saw was this blinding white light. The dog was going ballistic and I was just frozen, I couldn't move. There were no street lights bright enough to cause that sort of pulsating bright light.

The light eventually stopped and I went back to sleep, though I have to say if the large dog wasn't down there with me, I wouldn't have been able to sleep.

I discussed what happened to my relative, they told me there was definitely 'something' going on in their house.

I was shocked by their revelation as to what was in the basement when they bought the house, a gravestone! They bought the house with a gravestone in the basement, I would have have ran the other way. I don't care how cheap the house was in 1977-78, around $30,000, there was no way I'd buy any house with a gravestone in the basement, even if the house was $1,000!

I was figuring that person was buried somewhere in their backyard, which was already covered in concrete when they bought the house. I suggested they do a exorcism to get the spirit out, but they seemed content to lived with it until they sold the house about 16 years ago!

Another aspect which creeped me out about that house, no matter how noisy it was outside, even when they had barbecues with a boom box going, there was always a deathly quiet inside that house, I would barely hear what was going on outside. No, they didn't have particularly wonderful sound proofing windows. The dead quiet was always super creepy.

by Anonymousreply 11404/08/2012

Here is some info about SP. The creature in the first picture is very similar to the thing I saw crouched next to my bed. I had a feeling of terror but could not move. Next thing I knew I was awake and it was morning.

Weirdest thing that's ever happened to me.

by Anonymousreply 11504/08/2012

When I have had sleep paralysis it has always been during the day...taking a nap and I always feel like someone is breaking into my house and I can't get up to protect myself.

by Anonymousreply 11604/08/2012

"Here is some info about SP. The creature in the first picture is very similar to the thing I saw crouched next to my bed. I had a feeling of terror but could not move. Next thing I knew I was awake and it was morning."

Yes, that's pretty close to the monkey like creature in the BIO series segment about the woman who set up her video camera. It hoped on her bed, then went back to the floor, then it did the same movement again. It didn't jump on her body.

by Anonymousreply 11704/08/2012

Actually, r114, there are many claims of animal ghosts out there. I read a book about the subject many years ago. Mostly the accounts were of cat, dog, and horse ghosts.

by Anonymousreply 11804/08/2012

Boogey, boogey, boogey!

by Anonymousreply 11904/08/2012

After I had to put my cat down, that night as I was lying in bed, I felt something jump on the bed and the pressure against the crook of my legs. This happened to be where my cat always used to sleep. I don't know if it was the power of suggestion or my cat returning for a last comfort but it happened that once, on the night she was put down.

by Anonymousreply 12004/08/2012

I've had quite a few cats during my lifetime, but it wasn't until 2009 when our kitty died unexpectedly at age 3 (just dropped dead in the hallway for no apparent reason) that we began to have visitations. I remember walking into the house with my partner, just a few days after the cat died, when I heard the familiar sound of his collar jingling. I looked at my partner, and he looked at me & said, "Did you hear that?". Oh yes. It was a little spooky, but also comforting to think that he was still around in some form.

Since then, we've moved to a new place, but I think that cat has followed us. In fact, I had the same experience as you, R120. Probably 3 or 4 times I've been lying in bed and felt something jump on the bed, and walk around a bit before sort of snuggling up against my leg. The first time it happened, I thought perhaps I was dreaming. But it's happened a few times since when I was wide awake.

by Anonymousreply 12104/08/2012

R101, that was creepy about your roommate committing suicide in the attic. Any more details you could share?

by Anonymousreply 12204/08/2012

I was in Paris for 3 months a year ago. A couple of time I woke and thought someone next to my bed.

I now live in a residential hotel in Tucson. At least 3 times over 1 year, I have wakened to a dark mass (maybe a person). I always wake startled and shout at it. I'm afraid someone will call the police.

I'm also afraid it's following me. Once I woke and threw my arms up at it.

It's all that happens. Don't remember it happening before.

by Anonymousreply 12304/08/2012

[quote]Maybe we don't see ghosts of cavemen because their energy fades with time. The oldest ghost I've heard of is a Bronze Age horsemen that haunts Bottlebrush Down in Dorset.

There were sightings of a Roman soldier in the basement of a British pub many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 12404/08/2012

I've read several accounts of Roman soldier sightings in England. In one place they can hear the clanking of armor and hoofbeats of horses as large groups of Roman soldiers are moving through the region.

by Anonymousreply 12504/08/2012

R101, that is a seriously scary story. That can't possibly be true (the mattress and severely bitten tongue)? Or can it?

by Anonymousreply 12604/09/2012

Heard the story once of a woman looking around a grand house for sale in the English countryside. At the end of her viewing, she told the estate agent she'd had an odd experience: she was sure that passing one large room she'd glimpsed nurses, patients, soldiers. Couldn't account for it. The estate agent went white and then said that decades previously the place had been used as a hospital for troops wounded in WW1.

by Anonymousreply 12704/09/2012

"It's always frustrating on Ghost Adventures when they capture something interesting on camera, but because the freaking lights were off you can't see well. In this day and age you figure they'd find a way to have HD equipment, too..."

It's always so absurd, when on any of these shows, somehow the cameras or EVP machines don't seem to pick up the ghostly image, the objects flying across the room or whatever.

Can't they afford extra camera equipment to just set up and leave there while they are in other rooms? Not to mention, what about the film crew we don't see, the one who are filming the ghost hunters? These camera people can't pick anything up on their cameras?!

The ghost hunters are always seeing 'something', but somehow it's never on film!

"Ghost Adventures" gimmick is that the guys are locked in overnight.

IIRC, Grant's jacket pulling, by a spirit, on one older show, was debunked.

by Anonymousreply 12804/09/2012

My cousin lives in an old insane asylum that was converted to apartments. Don't know if it's haunted but it's creepier than shit. The same "cell" doors were left and the hallways are sterile and cold.

by Anonymousreply 12904/09/2012

Great thread.

I've only had one weird ghost experience in my life. I was in my early twenties, in university. I was living in a high rise student apartment building (Fenwick Tower in Halifax, NS). It was built in the 70s but it's across from a graveyard. I awoke one night and there was an old man standing over me, grinning. Whether it was a friendly or malicious grin I don't know. I was terrified but all I could think to do was pull the blankets over my head. I stayed that way for a long time, and when I looked again, he was gone. I lived in the same apartment for 2 more years but nothing like that ever happened again.

by Anonymousreply 13004/09/2012

A few years ago my partner and I had gone to Montreal for the day (we live in Vermont). We had been having fun with friends but stayed too long and found ourselves getting drowsy on the drive home. When we hit Plattsburgh we decided to find a cheap motel for a quick fuck, crash and then head out early the next morning.

The place was creepy as hell, the girl at the front desk said they didn't have any rooms available but her father insisted we could rent one on the side of the motel that was under renovation. They fought about it for a while in French and eventually the girl stormed off and the father let us into the room with a master key because there was not guest key for that room.

We get in the room and the atmosphere is weird, really weird, like we are under water or everything is in slow motion, very hard to explain. We take our clothes off and get in bed and agree that sex is out of the question and decide to go to sleep. We lay down and we both get the most overwhelming feeling that something isn't right. Immediately, all the hair on our body is standing up and we get full body chills. As we hug each other to get warm, my partner says to me "there is something fucked up with this room", he goes to turn the light on and we hear a loud noise and then the television turns on by itself and the water in the bathroom sink starts running, all three things at once. He turns on the light and the noise we heard was his set of keys that had gone from the table to the other side of the room. A bunch of other things happened, but in the end we sat huddled in the middle of the bed with all the lights on under the sheet praying for dawn. We flew out of there the second we saw morning, we didn't even check out.

The thing is, it wasn't the weird things that we normally would have thought would be kind of fun to experience, it was the feeling of dread and hatred, just unbelievable menace that freaked us out. To this day my partner refuses to talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 13104/09/2012

R130 I think ghosts like that sometimes appear only once to let people know that they are there and to let them know "you leave me alone, I'll leave you alone".

by Anonymousreply 13204/09/2012

Interesting, R132. I still don't know what to make of my experience. I'm skeptical as to whether ghosts exist, and I wonder if I was just stressed and I had a waking dream. I hope it never happens again.

by Anonymousreply 13304/09/2012

I grew up in a small town where basically everyone knew each other. When I was around 6 or 7, there was this girl named Ana from my grade who was last seen a friday after school. For the next week, she was all anyone would talk about. At school, some kids started a rumor that a creepy and gumpy man that worked at a nearby deli had been seen with her. Nobody liked this guy and he lived alone on the outskirts of town. My friend and I were dared to sneak into his house that following weekend while he was at work, and look for Ana. We snuck in one afternoon and were creeped out by his house. Lots of crosses and religious shit. Lots of candles. No electricity. This guy had a basement and my friend and I kept daring each other to go there. I finally agreed to go down and started slowly walking there while I saw my friend watching from the top. I almost made it to the bottom but heard him scream. I ran back up and he told me that he saw Ana run into a large closet near the kitchen. We're both freaking out and agree to go in together. Once we do, the door shuts behind us and we can't push it open (felt like someone was pushing back) for what seemed like an eternity but was probably more like a minute or two. The door opens up and we run the fuck out of the house instantly. When we made it outside, we saw the guy arriving in his car. We instatly ran as fast as we could and went home. My friend told his parents he saw Ana at the house and they called the cops. They found nothing, but a few days later they found Ana's body ditched closer to a different town. A few years later, that same guy was arrested for killing a little girl around Ana's age. He later confessed to killing Ana and another girl. My friend who saw Ana is messed up. He got into drugs at an early age and has been like that since he was a teen.

by Anonymousreply 13404/09/2012

Chilling, R134. Did they ever find Ana's killer?

by Anonymousreply 13504/09/2012

[quote]Chilling, [R134]. Did they ever find Ana's killer?

Illiterate much?

[quote]A few years later, that same guy was arrested for killing a little girl around Ana's age. He later confessed to killing Ana and another girl.

by Anonymousreply 13604/09/2012

R90, who is their right mind, goes out for 2 hr walks at 2 in the morning? You were nuts.

by Anonymousreply 13704/09/2012

...and r90, you went out again after the 1st scary man sighting? That is even worse then going out by yourself at that hour in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 13804/09/2012

*spooky bump*

by Anonymousreply 13904/10/2012

You guys are full of "boo-loney!"

by Anonymousreply 14004/10/2012

I have often gone out late at night for a walk and as long as I don't go into anyone's yard, I feel safe...of course I'm not a black teenage boy. I don't think they can ever feel safe.

by Anonymousreply 14104/10/2012

My mom lived in a small house with a roommate back in the 60s/70s that was very close to a large cemetery.

She said she had a problem with knives and kitchen utensils being moved or misplaced. However, it is very possible the roommate was moving stuff and then forgot she did.

Also, the day my uncle died, someone rang the doorbell at my aunt's apartment, and there was no one there. It never happened again. However, once again that could be explained by human activity.

by Anonymousreply 14204/12/2012

Move into this house and you'll die an agonizing death.

by Anonymousreply 14304/12/2012

My shoes are haunted.

by Anonymousreply 14404/12/2012

[quote]My shoes are haunted.

Lost soles?

by Anonymousreply 14504/12/2012

Every year my friends and I visit a haunted hotel. This year we're considering either the Brown or the Seelbach in Louisville. Anyone ever been there?

by Anonymousreply 14604/12/2012

How about the Lemp Mansion in St. Louis instead?

by Anonymousreply 14705/21/2012

Don't most reported haunted hotels tend to go for the "fake" haunted house schtick at Halloween?

by Anonymousreply 14805/21/2012

My college dorm was haunted. There was one room that nobody wanted to sleep in, as there were reports of doors slamming on their own, bedclothes pulled off by themselves, bath taps turning on and off, etc.

by Anonymousreply 14905/22/2012

I found a book on Haunted Places and noted my high school was one of them. According to the book, we had two ghosts there -- one of a gal who had jumped from a fourth floor railing down into the quad below after not getting invited to the prom, and another, who'd hanged herself backstage in our cavernous auditorium.

These two deaths occurred ten years or so before I attended that school, but I had never heard of any suicides. But also listed were the local theater, the public library, and a stand of trees on a hillside where the stoners used to congregate. I also noticed that all the ghosts tended to be in places where the immigrants or teens tended to congregate. There were plenty of ghosts in working class areas, but none in the rich neighborhoods or in the ghetto.

I looked up listings for all the places I had lived since high school. The patterns were the same there, except more middle class areas had ghosts wherever a crime had been committed. But some of the ghosts and crimes listed had never occurred -- there was some sort of church school massacre listed where a dozen fourth graders had been slaughtered, but I found no mention of such a crime in the newspaper archives. It had supposedly happened in the mid-60s, and if the whole country had heard of Richard Speck and the poor nursing students, I suspect a massacre of little kids would have gotten the same intense coverage in the news...

Better was an article I read in the New Yorker, where the writer wrote of growing up in a Scottish castle. It had two ghosts -- the best one would show up at their parties and carry on to the extend that people would come to complain to her mother about the young man in classic regalia who was quite rude.

by Anonymousreply 15005/22/2012

Where do you live, R150? High school (or city)?

by Anonymousreply 15105/22/2012

R150, is this the article?

by Anonymousreply 15205/22/2012

That's it R152 -- the whole article is interesting, especially the part where the mother ends up in an apartment after her oldest son inherited the estate.

by Anonymousreply 15305/22/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 15405/23/2012

Haunted Hearths & Sapphic Shades: Lesbian Ghost Stories

by Anonymousreply 15505/24/2012

W and W for r145 please, for those of you not obssessing about hatman and pals!

by Anonymousreply 15605/24/2012

Bump

by Anonymousreply 15810/24/2012

I think this thread is haunted. Half the responses are from other threads, i.e. r20, r21, r26, r28, r94, r101, r106 and r131

by Anonymousreply 15910/24/2012

I've suffered through sleep paralysis a few times and it was terribly frightening. I SWORE I was awake when I felt an invisible person on top of me and heard him say something to me. I also have felt as if I am trying to cry out in my sleep but cannot. I feel as if I can't breathe.

But then I woke up for real and everything was fine. Scared me, though. I get apnea if I go over on my back in my sleep. I think that's what causes the paralysis --- a lack of oxygen.

Once I took Zanaflex for back pain. The dr told me to take two because he didn't think one would work for me and he gave me a bunch of samples. About 2 hours after I took it, I turned off the light to go to bed and saw a hooded man run into my bathroom and hide behind the door. I flicked on the light and said, "that was a hallucination. I'm keeping the lights on." A few seconds later, I saw another hooded man run into my bedroom and hide behind my bathroom door. I knew it was a hallucination, but it continued to happen with the lights on. Even though I knew full well I was hallucinating as a result of the drug I'd taken, my heart was pounding and I was scared.

I put my pillow over my eyes and that stopped my hallucinating and I went to sleep. I threw away the Zanaflex after that.

I think most people who wake up and have some paranormal experience are hallucinating, but it seems very real to them.

by Anonymousreply 16010/24/2012

There have been several tales of ghosts in the White House and Camp David.

by Anonymousreply 16111/07/2012

When I was 6 one of my maternal aunts died after a battle with cancer. She lived in Denver and was divorced. Her two sons were both in the military and they decided not to sell the house right away in case one of them wanted to move back to Denver after getting out of the military. They asked another cousin if she would live in the house and she moved in. When I was 9, my parents and I went up to Denver for a family event and we stayed at my aunt's house. One night I went into the bathroom and after turning on the light my aunt appeared to me in the mirror for 10 seconds. It scared me and I never told any of my relatives about it. A few years after that my cousins sold the house.

by Anonymousreply 16211/07/2012

Abraham Lincoln supposedly haunts the White House, r161. Didn't Winston Churchill reportedly meet the ghost of Lincoln and chat with him or something?

Another famous historic American building reportedly haunted is Independence Hall. It served as a military prison when the British occupied the capitol city and a hospital 20 years after during the yellow fever epidemic.

by Anonymousreply 16311/07/2012

i must bump it for all the demons

by Anonymousreply 16405/29/2013

I don't believe in that stuff but if a ghost were to appear I would be surprised but not terrified. I'd rather enjoy it actually !

by Anonymousreply 16505/29/2013

My cousin spent the night at the Borden murder house in Fall River: nothing happened.

by Anonymousreply 16605/29/2013

Things that go bump in the night.

by Anonymousreply 16709/05/2013

My house is "haunted". But it's a benign ghost. There's also a ghost cat.

Yes, I know it sounds crazy. I've seen both the human ghost (male) and the cat (big and black).

When I first moved in, I had a strange feeling of being watched. Then I started getting bits of information - I can't really explain how this happens - it's like you suddenly "just know" something. I "suddenly knew" that the man (ghost) had a thing for bees.

I asked my neighbor (who has been in his house since 1953) and he confirmed that the original owner of my house was a bee keeper.

He doesn't come around as much now - I got the impression he is/was pleased that I started uncovering and restoring his original gardens.

The cat is actually buried in the yard near the fence. I found the tombstone when I was restoring some of the gardens in the area and asked the same neighbor.

This neighbor has no idea how I've come by the information about my house and I'm not about to tell him. He just seems surprised that I know so much about it when I haven't lived here for very long.

by Anonymousreply 16809/05/2013

I don't know how to tell you this, R168, but your neighbor's house has been empty for three years.

by Anonymousreply 16909/05/2013

Not a believer, but I've had some odd experiences in my house. First, I've heard someone in the hallway and heard/saw the doorknob turn. Worked up my courage and threw on the light and opened the door. No one was there. Searched the house and no one was in the house. I chalked it up to being half asleep.

My computer is in the basement on a corner desk. I sometimes get the sensation that someone is right over my shoulder watching me. I can be totally engrossed in what I am doing and suddenly it will strike. When it happens I leap up and fly up the stairs terrified that something is right behind me.

Also in the basement, a stack of my parents' old records that have been in the same spot for years collecting dust fell off the shelves for no reason. No one but me was there and I wasn't anywhere near them. No one had been down there but me in quite a while. Also, they fell spread out and further away from the shelves than they should have from just falling off.

I guess I should have said earlier that this is my parents' house. I moved back in after they passed and I inherited the place. Last thing I will mention, I chalked this up to a dream, but it didn't seem like one. I don't know what to think about it. Whatever it was, it was about 5 or 6am. I sat bolt upright in bed, suddenly completely awake. I immediately looked out my bedroom door, and a little way down the hall I saw a tall black shadow person. I 'felt' that it was male, and that it intended harm. It seemed to have its arms crossed over its chest and was putting its head back laughing at me in an unfriendly way, like some joke was on me. Without reacting to what I was seeing, I fell back to the bed and was immediately asleep again.

No one in my family had any experiences while we were living in the house before. So far I've chalked it all up to being weirded out about living in the family homestead again alone, as an adult, after my parents died (one in the house, one in the hospital).

by Anonymousreply 17009/06/2013

My dog saw a ghost while staying at the old Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. He was sleeping in the bed with me, when all of a sudden, he stood up and started staring intently and growling at an invisible presence in the living room. He did this for a good 10 minutes.

I've since seen the hotel on several TV ghost shows. Apparently it used to be a cancer hospital where an unethical doctor experimented on cancer patients, most of whom died there.

by Anonymousreply 17109/06/2013

Great thread. Only a few minor things (a few disappearing/very prominently reappearing objects) have happened in my house.

by Anonymousreply 17209/07/2013

I've also stayed at the Crescent Hotel. Late at night as my friends and I were talking we heard an eerie whistling. It sounded as if it were coming from between the beds.

by Anonymousreply 17309/07/2013

Growing up, a lot of strange things would happen in my family's house but it was only built in the 1950s and no known deaths or anything in the house before my parents moved in. However, when my sister and I went to a psychic (one time, just for fun with friends), she said spirits were drawn to us. Lots of strange things happened up to high school, after which they seemed to die off until early 30s.

My partner and I live in a semi-refurbished farm house and have had many strange occurrences. One night, I saw an old man who looked to be a farmer sitting on the steps of the porch. I turned for about two seconds to whisper to my partner and when I turned back, the man was gone. Strange noises, phantom smells, etc.

by Anonymousreply 17409/07/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 17509/08/2013

Boo!

by Anonymousreply 17609/08/2013

Bump for Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 17710/31/2014

long-legity beasties

by Anonymousreply 17810/31/2014

bump in the afternoon

by Anonymousreply 17911/02/2014

[quote]Also in the basement, a stack of my parents' old records that have been in the same spot for years collecting dust fell off the shelves for no reason. No one but me was there and I wasn't anywhere near them. No one had been down there but me in quite a while. Also, they fell spread out and further away from the shelves than they should have from just falling off.

Maybe the ghost doesn't like your taste in music and wants you to get out those old records. All the ones about moon and the ones about June. "Kitten on the Keys" and "Nola" on the old wind-up Victrola.

by Anonymousreply 18011/04/2014
Need more help? Click Here.