Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Greta Gerwig

LOVE her. She hasn't always been cast correctly, but when she is she is fascinating. (Also, loved her deadpan the other night while having to endure sharing Jimmy Fallon's couch with a painfully unfunny Artie Lange.)

But did Noah Baumbach leave Jennifer Jason Leigh for her?

by Anonymousreply 2209/15/2014

No one knows the scoop, huh?

by Anonymousreply 104/26/2012

Saw her recently in Damsels In Distress at the Toronto International Film Festival. She was great.

by Anonymousreply 204/26/2012

The reviews for DIM are pretty horrible.

Another indie actress who I don't think is destined for a major Hollywood career.

by Anonymousreply 304/30/2012

Sorry, I meant "DID."

Freudian slip.

Didn't Whit Stillman used to be good?

by Anonymousreply 404/30/2012

Long profile of Gerwig and Noah Baumbach in The New Yorker. I think it's the first time they've discussed their relationship, and they seem at pains to insist that they only got together AFTER Baumbach split with Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Frankly, I wonder why they even bother. Neither is high profile enough to really be worried about public image. I don't really think the circles they run in (the privileged/indie film world) would really be that shocked if they admitted they had an affair.

I haven't liked Gerwig in anything I've seen her in, but I have heard very good things about their new film, Frances Ha.

by Anonymousreply 504/23/2013

Urf, when I see her face or name I'm reminded of that scene in Greenberg where Ben Stiller eats her out. Decent enough actress, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 604/23/2013

I've only seen her in Greenburg. I like her.

by Anonymousreply 704/23/2013

oh, I'm glad I skipped that movie, R6

She seems to have a lively, smart spark which I think is good and needed in movies today

by Anonymousreply 804/23/2013

It's kind of an open secret that they were together while JJL was pregnant with Baumbach's child. He is a notoriously narcissistic rat, and they both protest too much in the New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 904/23/2013

Are they going to have a baby that shits in the streets?

by Anonymousreply 1004/23/2013

I just watched "Frances Ha" on DVD. It's an hour and 26 minutes and it feels at least twice that length. It's like Noah Baumbach decided to film a "Girls" episode very slowly, without most of the humor, in black and white.

by Anonymousreply 1111/12/2013

I agree. Didn't like Frances Ha either. It was very well received here in England and I loved a few of his other films.

by Anonymousreply 1211/12/2013

Frances Ha was painful. Even though she's not supposed to be a lesbian, she clearly is one and hasn't figured it out. She spends most of the movie pining for her girlfriend and feeling incomplete without her. And how can someone have the smarts to get from Sacramento to Vassar but no ambition or direction once she graduates? This is a fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 1411/17/2013

I thought she was fuckin great in Greenberg. I haven't gotten through this new movie yet, . I've tried twice...but I'll reserve judgment until I do finish it

by Anonymousreply 1511/17/2013

R14

I knew Grea and she was scary smart and made it from Sacramento to Barnard and a writing fellowship at Vassar. And even so she may have had some ambition but no real direction or confidence.

I remember hearing that she was going out to Seattle to work on some film thing with friends. I thought, there goes one of those brilliant people who sink into the abyss and are never heard from again.

The aimlessness of the character is pure Greta. Everything happens to her by accident--but because she is brilliant and beautiful accidents happen all the time for her.

by Anonymousreply 1611/17/2013

[qute]beautiful accidents happen all the time for her

Like fucking a married director?

by Anonymousreply 1711/17/2013

Frances Ha was like an extended episode of "Girls" with a more attractive lead. I found it totally unbelievable that a Vassar grad could be so immature and idiotic without also being a hardcore heroin addict. And what was up with the character of Sophie (Frances' best friend)? She was so homely and obnoxious, yet her fiancee was gorgeous and wealthy? Okaaaaay.

Anyway, Greta has a charisma that is actually pretty endearing in small doses, but she needs to stick to supporting parts because a little goes a long way with her.

For the record: She totally fucked Noah Baumbach during the filming of Greenburg. That's why Jennifer Jason Leigh filed for divorce, and it's a shame that Noah only added to his wife's already warped view of men (thanks to her dad).

by Anonymousreply 1811/17/2013

I hated Frances Ha. It was listless, self-indulgent and not the least bit engaging.

I'm biased though. She reminds of so many mediocre yet well-to-do pretty girls that are a dime a dozen in the Brooklyn neighborhood where I live. They all have vague, unrealized notions of being artists but most just seem to walk around looking slightly confused with yoga mats shoved under their arms.

I hope she goes away. Sooner rather than later.

by Anonymousreply 1911/17/2013

x

by Anonymousreply 2009/15/2014

This terrible song is for you (and Greta), r19:

by Anonymousreply 2109/15/2014

OT: Here's a much better song about "Brooklyn Girls," except Charles Hamilton's voice is godawful:

by Anonymousreply 2209/15/2014
Need more help? Click Here.