Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Major Downton Abbey Character to Die in Season 3

I predict it will be Maggie Smith - from over-chewing the scenery.

by Anonymousreply 20402/18/2013

[quote]Maggie would be too predictable. And she brings too much to the show to get rid of her, unless she absolutely refuses to do it or unless her health prevents her from continuing.

Well, the last I heard was that she didn't sign up to Series 3. Like the forgettable guy who plays Matthew.

by Anonymousreply 204/06/2012

I really don't like Thomas much, of course. But he is the only major gay character. Even if he really was more asexual in Season 2.

I predict the one offed will be Carson.

by Anonymousreply 304/06/2012

Oh please, oh please, let it be Lady Edith.

If not her, then kill of Mrs. Pattmore. I've grown tired of her harping.

by Anonymousreply 404/06/2012

Hasn't Lady Edith suffered enough?

If Thomas goes, then O' Brien should as well. I can't imagine one without the other. And only fitting that they spend eternity with those ever-present scowls.

by Anonymousreply 504/06/2012

I predict Lady Sybil, in childbirth. Her still- estranged father will rush to her bedside to witness her dying breath, take the child to his bosom, and all will be forgiven with the lower-class chauffeur hubby. The child will be raised by Lady Mary and Matthew, who, despite his miraculous recovery, is shooting blanks in the jism department.

by Anonymousreply 604/06/2012

If Maggie didn't sign up for Season 3 they are going to have to kill off her character. Perhaps she'll do a guest appearance and kick it or perhaps she will have died before the season begins.

by Anonymousreply 704/06/2012

Matthew is GREAT! It won't be him.

Maggie Smith is getting very old and doesn't need the money. I can't imagine why she would want to stay and just get older and older.

It will be Bates or Sybil.

by Anonymousreply 804/06/2012

Maggie Smith did sign up for Season 3. Finally. She has no deal for seasons 4 and 5, however. They'll throw whatever money they have to at her to keep her on the show.

It'll be someone relatively inconsequential: Mrs. Pattmore, perhaps? R6 's suggestion is a good one.

by Anonymousreply 904/06/2012

The Jism Department!

by Anonymousreply 1004/06/2012

What are they going to do with Bates, really, he is a weak character and what can they do with him in the future?

I wish we could get a handsome, good gay character on the show. Thomas is so slimy and bad, plus I hate his smoking all the time.

I understand Sybil's husband is gay in real life.

by Anonymousreply 1204/06/2012

Mr Bates, with the rope, in the prison.

by Anonymousreply 1404/06/2012

Kill Bates. He's dull.

I love Thomas. He's so fumbling. They need a really good gay scandal at the mansion.

by Anonymousreply 1504/06/2012

Please let it be Daisy, getting run over and bloodily dismembered by a fleet of carriages.

by Anonymousreply 1604/06/2012

Lol, I can't stand Daisy, either.

by Anonymousreply 1704/06/2012

Kill that dolt Daisy. William's father runs her over with a tractor and Mrs Patmore cooks her up as a lovely stew for Lady Mary and Carson.

by Anonymousreply 1904/06/2012

I think it's the chauffeur. That gives Sybil the opportunity to return to Downton for Seasons 4 & 5.

by Anonymousreply 2004/06/2012

[quote]Maggie Smith is getting very old and doesn't need the money. I can't imagine why she would want to stay and just get older and older.

Stupidest post ever.

by Anonymousreply 2104/06/2012

Well, I think both Daisy & Mrs. Patmore are TREMENDOUS!

by Anonymousreply 2204/06/2012

Ethel the Drudge.

Fire crotched harlot.

by Anonymousreply 2304/06/2012

The major character will probably be either the doctor (the one who convinced Thomas to join the military in season one) or Matthew's butler (the one who asked the doctor to not let him serve in the military).

They'll never get rid of Lady Edith until we at Datalounge have a "Dear god, let Lady Edith be ok!" troll. It worked for Holly from Brothers and Sisters after all.

by Anonymousreply 2404/06/2012

Matthew will die.

Probably in the middle of surgery -- chin and jaw liposuction.

by Anonymousreply 2504/06/2012

Pamuk's spectral ghost will rape Thomas until HE dies of a heart attack in his bed. But at least he'll die happy.

by Anonymousreply 2604/06/2012

R12, where have you heard that Allen Leech (Branson) is gay? I do so want to believe this, but I could swear that in interviews he has discussed girlfriends, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2704/06/2012

Somebody else in the DL posted that about the driver. I couldn't verify it on the web and the person who posted it didn't post a follow-up...

by Anonymousreply 2804/06/2012

The driver played a nelly gay character in an indie called Cowboys and Angels.

by Anonymousreply 2904/06/2012

I wouldn't call the chauffeur a major character.

by Anonymousreply 3004/06/2012

It will be Elizabeth McGiovern. The other characters, sick to death of her incredibly annoying Chicago accent, will gather on a balcony and push a giant stone urn on her urn when she's out on the terrace having yet another of her interminable conversations with her husband about their daughters.

"Bet RAW-burt, whet abowt Lay-dee Merry?"... ***THUD!***

by Anonymousreply 3104/06/2012

But Allen Leech played a notorious pussy-hound in "The Tudors", so that proves he must be straight.

by Anonymousreply 3204/06/2012

Shirley MacLaine. I'm sure the cast are fed up by now with her "I am NOT Shirley MacLaine" shtick.

by Anonymousreply 3304/06/2012

If they bring back the Burnt Fraudulent Heir I will personally fly to the UK and strangle him with my bare hands until his Muppet voice is forever stilled.

by Anonymousreply 3404/06/2012

R33, at the very least they shouldn't have to pay her very much because she's not Shirley MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 3504/06/2012

I'm with r33 all the way.

Let it be Shirley, I beg of you!

by Anonymousreply 3604/06/2012

I wonder if people get paid more for not being Chevy Chase? If so Shirley should go with that instead of her past lives regression.

by Anonymousreply 3704/06/2012

If chewing scenery were something likely to be fatal to Dame Maggie, she'd have died at her performance at her christening.

BUT she is Mithridates to such stuff.

by Anonymousreply 3804/06/2012

R31 = O'Brien.

by Anonymousreply 3904/06/2012

1920's. Ireland's own civil war. Michael Collins and all that

by Anonymousreply 4004/06/2012

I've also heard that Branson dies in the rebellion. Don't know if he is considered a major character.

by Anonymousreply 4104/06/2012

Branson's death would be rather convenient for the actress playing Lady Sybil.

by Anonymousreply 4204/06/2012

Why would it be convenient, R42? She loved him enough to give up her fortune and her family and move to Ireland with him.

by Anonymousreply 4304/06/2012

I've heard that a meteor hits Downton in Season 4 and wipes absolutely everyone out except Cora and Daisy. But the place was heavily insured in her name (bless the Earl and fuck entailment), and Cora takes the money and moves back to the States, settling in Texas under an assumed name to avoid publicity. She meets a man named Jock. Daisy, who has gone with her, is inept and ends up pregnant by a man named Digger.

I am so brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 4404/06/2012

I love you, R44.

by Anonymousreply 4504/06/2012

[quote]Why would it be convenient, [R42]?

Because she gets a big storyline.

by Anonymousreply 4604/06/2012

Uh, oh, Dame Maggie labeled as "difficult" by one of the show's executive producers.

by Anonymousreply 4704/07/2012

Actually, chewing the scenery is not unhealthy. Quite the opposite--it's an excellent source of fibre.

by Anonymousreply 4804/07/2012

To r48 -

by Anonymousreply 4904/07/2012

Reading the article posted at R47, it sounds as if Rebecca Eaton has a touch of the Tourettes.

by Anonymousreply 5004/07/2012

The death that would change the dynamic the most would be Lord Grantham. How would the estate change under middle-class Matthew, in times that are changing anyway?

by Anonymousreply 5104/07/2012

Sounds as though Rebecca Eaton, an American producer, does not "get" old school British humor, especially the kind that is directed at Americans. I bet Dame Maggie has a blast jerking Eaton's chain.

by Anonymousreply 5204/07/2012

Must every day involve a fight with an American?

by Anonymousreply 5304/07/2012

FUck Rebecca Eaton; fuck her right in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 5404/07/2012

Is rebecca eaton considered a major character? let it be her, not Maggie. Never Maggie.

by Anonymousreply 5504/09/2012

It's not Maggie. Definitely Branson, but we'll learn in Ireland that he has an identical twin brother. A gay identical twin brother.

by Anonymousreply 5604/09/2012

Lord Grantham takes up with Daisy, seeks a divorce, and Daisy becomes the new Countess. When at the engagement announcement she holds out her hand to the Dowager to be kissed, adding: "You cun cull meh Daresay if ya lyke" the latter drops dead on the spot.

by Anonymousreply 5704/09/2012

Daisy is already gone...she went with William's father. I agree Carson will be the one to go...the already foreshadowed it with his breakdown in the dinner and his discussion with lady Mary as is was recovering.

by Anonymousreply 5804/09/2012

I'm rewatching the entire series, and this is what I'm wondering:

Why the intense animosity between Lady Mary and Lady Edith?

Was anyone else surprised that Lord Grantham hit on the maid? (Lord Grantham just gets hotter and hotter as the series progresses, IMO)

Why did O'Brien trip Lady Grantham, causing her to miscarry?

Will Edith EVER get lucky?

by Anonymousreply 6004/12/2012

[quote]Why did O'Brien trip Lady Grantham, causing her to miscarry?

She was pissed because she mistakenly thought Cora was firing her.

by Anonymousreply 6104/13/2012

So, it is Dame Maggie after all.

by Anonymousreply 6204/15/2012

kill the stupid Dr.

by Anonymousreply 6305/10/2012

Let it be Mr. Bates or Matthew. Both dull.

by Anonymousreply 6405/10/2012

I think it will be lord Grantham. That wil give a chance for Matthew to come in more and one spoiler said Hannah will be promoted to lady's maid which would mean Mary might be promoted as l. I LOVE MAGGIE SMITH

by Anonymousreply 6508/04/2012

It will be the Way Hot daughter. Jessica Brown Findlay isn't in Series 3 at all and will be shooting Winter's Tale in NYC this fall with Will Smith, Russell Crowe and Colin Farrell.

by Anonymousreply 6608/04/2012

Well, Lord Grantham is alive as of the series 3 Christmas special (as is Dame Maggie). They're shooting it now in Scotland. Hugh Bonneville is signed on for three more series, so it's probably not going to be Lord G.

by Anonymousreply 6708/04/2012

Maybe it is Carson. He always had health issues in the past. I don't like Mary (she is too harsh)

by Anonymousreply 6808/05/2012

Daisy moves to the States and marries. After her husband passes away, she becomes a housekeeper to a woman in Tuckahoe NY named Maude.

by Anonymousreply 6908/05/2012

"Lord Grantham takes up with Daisy, seeks a divorce, and Daisy becomes the new Countess. When at the engagement announcement she holds out her hand to the Dowager to be kissed, adding: "You cun cull meh Daresay if ya lyke" the latter drops dead on the spot."

This just about killed me on the spot. Please marry me.

by Anonymousreply 7008/05/2012

R69, excellent!

by Anonymousreply 7108/05/2012

Oh shit, R66. I had no idea Winter's Tale was beint turned into a movie until I saw your post. It's my favorite novel, and it's beauty is a function of its dazzling language. I can't imagine a movie version that's not a train wreck.

Hmm, just checked IMDB and saw Akiva Goldsman adapted the novel along with the author and is directing. Just maybe he can make it work, but Brown Findley is the only casting that makes any sense to me.

Back on topic, Sybil could be the character that bites it, but she could also be off screen because she's married Branson-the-chauffeur and they've left Downton.

by Anonymousreply 7208/05/2012

Probably Carson, because he's a fan favorite and would generate a lot of publicity.

by Anonymousreply 7308/05/2012

I love Maggie but if she chose not to come back, I hope they will keep the character and use another actress. I know people don't like that idea but when I'm attached to a character...I don't like to see the character die.

by Anonymousreply 7408/05/2012

No, pictures and blogs have definitely leaked that it will be Matthew :( the end of season 3 will be the announcing of the new heir.

by Anonymousreply 7508/14/2012

R75, I am a rabid spoiler hound and that is not true.

by Anonymousreply 7608/14/2012

Matthew is still alive at the end of Season 3.

He had a sex-change operation, so that's the reason they have to look for a new male heir.

by Anonymousreply 7708/14/2012

MTF Matthew looks shockingly like Lady Edith, which leads to a number of awkward situations with Lady Mary.

by Anonymousreply 7808/14/2012

I think it's gonna be Thomas.

He's hot, he's evil, he's gay.

by Anonymousreply 7909/04/2012

It's Elizabeth McGovern

by Anonymousreply 8009/04/2012

I hope it's not Maggie Smith, even though she's getting really old. I love the character of Lady Violet - she's the Barbara Bush of the Edwardian era.

by Anonymousreply 8109/05/2012

[quote]Thomas is so slimy and bad, plus I hate his smoking all the time.

Yes, it's a shame that he smokes instead of doing ab crunches and cardio in the 1910's. Why, he could have been Downton Abbey's trainer and had them all doing Zoomba in the Great Hall, right next to the World War I veterans!

by Anonymousreply 8209/05/2012

I honestly think it'll be Mrs. O'Brien only because in the trailers Thomas is shown crying while being comforted by Anna.

by Anonymousreply 8309/16/2012

I hope it's Lady Edith.

by Anonymousreply 8409/16/2012

[quote]Why the intense animosity between Lady Mary and Lady Edith?

Sibling rivalry because they're so close in age. PLUS, Lady Mary was unusually bitter because she knew she would likely never inherit Downton Abbey (though she is the eldest child) and she worried that her self-life as a debutante was ending without a suitable match, so she used Lady Edith as her punching bag. She was so cruel to Lady Edith that Lady Edith got her rvenege with sending the letter to the Turkish consulate revealing what she knew--and that created no end of problems between the two.

[quote]Was anyone else surprised that Lord Grantham hit on the maid? (Lord Grantham just gets hotter and hotter as the series progresses, IMO)

I thought it was mostly bad writing, to be honest. It was so unlikely. But I think the reasoning behind it is that Lord Grantham sees very few women in his life because he's trapped at the estate, and that this sympathetic and kind and pretty woman caught his eye because she needed help with her son.

[quote]Why did O'Brien trip Lady Grantham, causing her to miscarry?

She didn't really trip her: she neglected to pick up a stray bar of soap on the bathroom floor Lady Grantham might slip on (which is exactly what indeed happened). O'Brien mistakenly thought she was being fired as the head maid, and was bitter about it. Again, I think that was bad writing.

[quote]Will Edith EVER get lucky?

If they're true to the character, probably not, unless she meets someone and runs away with him. But most wealthy titled families had one daughter who was expected to stay home and not marry. Queen Victoria had her daughter Beatrice (who DID fall in love and get married--but the only way the queen consented to it was to insist Beatrice and her husband had to promise to live with her and help her in her duties), and the queen's eldest song Edward VII had his daughter Toria, who stayed to care for her parents.

by Anonymousreply 8509/16/2012

Didn't Lady Grantham slip on the bar of soap that had fallen on the floor as she was getting out of the the tub?O'Brien knew it was there but didn't warn her Lady because she wanted revenge for being slighted. O'Brien is the source of all evil doing in that house. And I love it.

by Anonymousreply 8609/16/2012

Well, everyone's still alive in episode 1 of season 3.

by Anonymousreply 8709/17/2012

Is this the official Downton Abbey thread?

Anyway.. saw the first episode today. I had no idea how much I missed the show. I'm really happy it's back. The Earl did some bad investments and lost most of his money. Downton is now in despair. Branson talked politics constantly and he felt out of place and not accepted. Branson wasn't this hung up on politics last season.. I understand a lot has changed in the mean time, but hell.. Branson is way over the top now imo. At least Branson and Sybil are adorable though. And Sybil is pregnant! Mary and Matthew are still the most boring couple ever. At least they finally got married, and hopefully they will sort out the money issue so they can save Downton. I like the fact that Cora's mother has arrived.. her constant disagreements with Maggie Smith are hilarious. Thomas is still being an asshole. I have a feeling the new footman might be gay and intended for Thomas. He still looks way too tall and out of place though. Bates is still in prison and Anna is still trying to get him out. I guess that sorta summed up the first episode.

by Anonymousreply 8809/17/2012

r. 88

Thanks for the update to the "Colonies." Please keep us updated every week.

TIA.

by Anonymousreply 8909/17/2012

Won't it be the American Mom?

They always describe characters as "major" when they're going to die.

by Anonymousreply 9109/17/2012

I liked the season premiere, but my one gripe is that the Bates in prison storyline is getting stagnant. I wonder if he's the one who's going to die this season.

by Anonymousreply 9209/17/2012

Best Elizabeth McGovern parody ever.

by Anonymousreply 9309/17/2012

It's Maggie, for God's sake. She is not signing for another season.

by Anonymousreply 9509/17/2012

Maggie Smith will die. She wants out of the contract.

Does the link work?

by Anonymousreply 9609/17/2012

The idiots over at TWOP got the Downton Abbey thread closed!

by Anonymousreply 9709/17/2012

R94, I wasn't surprised at all that he turned down her request. The kid's been a footman for few days, and a crap one at that, and she wants to make him a valet already? It wasn't done like that. Valets worked for *years* as footmen in order to learn the ropes. Being a valet was a privilege. Plus, Thomas is no doubt a tad jealous his surrogate mum is now mothering someone else.

by Anonymousreply 9809/17/2012

r97 - You still go to TwoP? What an idiotic message board. I left them years ago because of their silly rules. Really ow, it seems silly to have people put black spoiler bars on all their posts when it is easy to just highlight over them and read them. Besides, the show aired in the UK last night, so why should those people have to put spoilers on posts simply because it hasn't aired in the US as yet? If US people don't want to see what's happening o Downto, it's simple - just DON'T read TwoP!

I fid the DL mucg more interesting and open on TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 9909/17/2012

Fellowes has already said he's never killing the Dowager. If Maggie doesn't want to do another full series, he's said he'd send the Dowager off to a cottage by the sea, leaving the door open for her to come back for an episode or two if she'd like.

by Anonymousreply 10009/17/2012

r98. I don't think O'Brien expected Thomas to make him a perfect valet within days. She only wanted Thomas to give her a few pointers so Branson would get off Alfred's back. O'Brien's nephew does seem to have quite some ambition to better himself. It wouldn't surprise me if he hits on Thomas himself to climb up the downstairs social ladder.

by Anonymousreply 10109/17/2012

sorry:She only wanted Thomas to give him a few pointers ...

by Anonymousreply 10209/17/2012

She did expect that, r101. Remember she said Matthew was looking to be rid of Molesley and that opened up a spot for his valet? She wants Alfred to advance too quickly.

There's going to be a new footman called Jimmy Kent and that's who will be linked to Thomas this series. Alfred will be infatuated with a new kitchen maid, while Daisy becomes infatuated with Alfred. Thomas, of course, becomes infatuated with Jimmy.

by Anonymousreply 10309/17/2012

[quote]Remember she said Matthew was looking to be rid of Molesley and that opened up a spot for his valet? She wants Alfred to advance too quickly.

Gosh. I totally forgot about that scene. You are absolutely right.

by Anonymousreply 10409/17/2012

Do it started lastweek and I missed it?

by Anonymousreply 10509/22/2012

r105 it started in the UK last week but if you are in the US you can watch it at r96's link.

by Anonymousreply 10609/22/2012

People still watch this show? It got repetitive and boring from the first episode of season 2. Just put Gosford Park on loop. You'll be doing yourself a favor.

by Anonymousreply 10709/22/2012

It might come as a revelation to you, but tastes differ. No chance to feel superior here. Sorry. #not

by Anonymousreply 10809/22/2012

Thanks for the link, R96. Just watched it and I see nothing has changed. I still can't stand "Mary."

by Anonymousreply 10909/22/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 11009/22/2012

Lady Edith is actually attractive this season.

by Anonymousreply 11109/29/2012

Why can't it be O'Brien? I can't stand her.

by Anonymousreply 11209/30/2012

Not having read all the previous, and having seen the first 2 new episodes, it has to be the housekeeper Mrs Hughes, who is having tests over a lump in her breast - so I imagine there will be a teary exit with those upstairs all upset etc. as Carson holds her hand as she expires .... am I right or am I right?

by Anonymousreply 11309/30/2012

I think Mrs. Hughes is a red herring and I guess it's Bates who gets shanked in prison only moments after his innocence got proven thanks to Anna's investigations. Imagine all the 'aws' and teary eyes of the righteous man dying after Anna went through the turmoil and in the end not getting a satisfying reward.

Love that little scene of the Dowager reacting to the Shirley McLane character's singing right next to her after she dozed off for a bit.

by Anonymousreply 11409/30/2012

Dan Stevens has already announced that he's leaving England to try his luck in the States.

So, obviously, it's his character.

by Anonymousreply 11509/30/2012

What a shocker. I had no idea they were going to reveal O'Brien was really a man.

by Anonymousreply 11609/30/2012

Just because he's leaving England doesn't been he still can't work there. How long does DA film? Only 4 months?

I hope it is his wife on the show. When the show is bad she looks even worse unlike Maggie Smith who could entertain reading the phone book...

by Anonymousreply 11709/30/2012

I hate to think it, but I'm afraid O'Brian may be this season's death. She's becoming more sympathetic as she takes Alfred under her wing. And that clip of Thomas in tears may be him regretting how awful he's been to her, his only friend.

Have been streaming season 3. Last night was a doozy. Totally did not see the twist coming. Poor Edith!

by Anonymousreply 11810/01/2012

Having seen the 3rd episode it looks like Mrs Hughes was indeed a red herring as it seems she got the all-clear on her cancer test.

by Anonymousreply 11910/01/2012

What the hell? The new season hasn't started in the States yet, right?

by Anonymousreply 12010/01/2012

There are ways, R120.

by Anonymousreply 12110/01/2012

r120, wer're watching season 3 streaming online. These sites have been around for years, and I can't believe there are people who still don't know about them.

Edith getting stood up was really out of left field - did not see that one coming.

The Bates storyline needs to be resolved already - it's getting boring. The scenes with him and Anna in prison are really getting repetitive. Either get him released or get him shanked in prison.

by Anonymousreply 12210/01/2012

Agree about Bates. The pace of the show comes to a screeching halt whenever the focus is on him and his depressing story.

I think the new footman/love interest for Thomas will show up in the next couple of episodes.

Love the way Tom has just sort of become part of the family. He's wearing black tie for family dinners and having brandy and cigars with the men like he was born to it.

by Anonymousreply 12310/01/2012

Dan Stevens is leaving for the states???

by Anonymousreply 12410/01/2012

Stevens is performing on Broadway in The Heiress with Jessica Chastain, David Strathairn and Judith Ivey starting Oct.6. Since they probably won't start filming Season 4 til next year, I can't imagine he won't be able to make it back to England for a few months to do Downton.

by Anonymousreply 12510/01/2012

Maybe Dan Stevens wants to try for success in the US while he's still young enough and has some heat from Downton Abbey. US television series pay a shitload more money than those in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 12610/01/2012

OMFG, poor Lady Edith!!!! I couldn't stand her after the whole Turkish dude thing, but getting dumped at the altar, that was freaking harsh.

by Anonymousreply 12710/01/2012

It will be the shark when it is hit in the head by Dame Maggie's ski as she jumps it.

by Anonymousreply 12810/01/2012

Any place we in the Colonies can scream the new UK episodes?

TIA.

by Anonymousreply 12910/01/2012

I think it's Bates. Already this season it looks like he really did kill his wife.

by Anonymousreply 13010/01/2012

R129 here you go. Gorillavid or Nowvideo.eu are the best links, but sometimes when it starts you have to pause for five minutes for buffering issues.

by Anonymousreply 13110/01/2012

Umm.. can someone please explain Branson's sudden change in personality? He seems so completely out of character this season. Yes, he was a very strong and feisty character last season too, but it was never this bad. He's just way over the top now. They're almost portraying him like a bad guy, and he was never bad. It's like they're forgetting his personality and are willing to change him completely just to serve a plot. I don't believe Branson from season 2 would ever leave a pregnant Sybil behind. It's just very odd.

by Anonymousreply 13210/03/2012

I might as well tell you all, since all this upset is unnecessary for a fiction and others have suggested it already. Lord Grantham dies, suddenly, which alters everything at Downton and resets all the relationships.

Having a double-dowager situation is a bit much, it was recognized, but Cora remains as a strong character available for her own plot track. A few others are weeded out as new characters come in, but nothing as dramatic as the lord's demise occurs.

by Anonymousreply 13310/03/2012

I don't think so R133. There are pics of a cricket match that takes place in the season's last episode – the house vs. the town. Matthew, Robert, Tom, Thomas and the Dr. are all there. I'm betting it's the last scene of Season 3.

by Anonymousreply 13410/03/2012

Bet away, sir. Obviously you enjoy your suspense. Some people do.

by Anonymousreply 13510/03/2012

Please kill Elizabeth McGovern's character.

by Anonymousreply 13610/07/2012

I was surprised to learn in episode 2 that Matthew still works as a lawyer. I don't think they've mentioned his job since season 1.

by Anonymousreply 13710/07/2012

the guy who plays Branso ISNT GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 13810/10/2012

Bummer about the trailer for the next episode. Looks like Thomas isn't getting laid after all and it may lead to him crying (as shown in the 'this season' trailer) when he hits on the new footman.

by Anonymousreply 13910/10/2012

Does anyone know anything about Rob-James Collier, who plays Thomas? Is he really gay?

by Anonymousreply 14010/10/2012

[quote] Does anyone know anything about Rob-James Collier, who plays Thomas? Is he really gay?

What difference does it make? Straight and gay are equal, therefore it's not relevant. He's an actor playing a part and people shouldn't wonder if he is he or straight in real life. Both lifestyles are normal and ok.

He's not going to ask you for a date.

by Anonymousreply 14110/10/2012

They should gradually work all the characters from 165 Eaton Place into Downton Abbey and then kill them off one by one.

by Anonymousreply 14210/10/2012

They should cast Heidi Thomas as an evil bitch of some kind and then torture her in some remote room for the rest of the series this year. In the last show of the season she could thrown from a tower and eaten by the Lord Grantham's dog, Pharoah.

by Anonymousreply 14310/10/2012

Will Thomas ever get laid :(

by Anonymousreply 14410/10/2012

Maggie Smith's character dies.

The plot twist is that Thomas goes crazy, out of frustration at never getting laid, and thinks he is the Dowager Countess. He will spend all of Season Four wearing Maggie's left-over gowns.

by Anonymousreply 14510/10/2012

r141, what part of "gossip" don't you understand about this website?

by Anonymousreply 14610/10/2012

RIP Sybil :-(

by Anonymousreply 14710/14/2012

So we know now it is Sybil that's has passed away. Devastated

by Anonymousreply 14810/14/2012

Holy crap!

by Anonymousreply 14910/14/2012

It was pretty obvious it would be Sybil. Jessica Brown Findlay had long since left the show and is sbout to start shooting a movie in NYC with Will Smith, Russell Crowe and Colin Farrell.

by Anonymousreply 15010/14/2012

So, the only cute girl on the show gets killed off.

by Anonymousreply 15110/14/2012

I can't believe they killed her off :( But I had a bad feeling when she had a complicated birth. Fuck this shit. Branson and Sybil were the only reason I watched the show in the first place.. they were my favorite hetero couple in like... ever. I won't watch anymore now though.. Matthew and Mary are boring as hell, and the prison storyline is god awful. Oh well.. this season has mostly been shit anyways, and now they killed off my favorite couple. I'm done with it.

by Anonymousreply 15210/14/2012

Series 3 is the last of downtown unfortunately .... Not even a Christmas special :(

by Anonymousreply 15310/15/2012

Poor Thomas hasn't shot a load in three years. No wonder he's so bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 15410/15/2012

Wow. The latest episode sure gets you crying like a baby. It wasn't so much about Sybil's actual death, but how the characters who knew and loved her reacted (like Thomas or Granson). I bet that moment of the frail grief stricken Dowager Countess walking through the entrance hall (seeing only her back) will haunt me for quite some time (Mary! I know).

by Anonymousreply 15510/15/2012

Bullshit, 153. There will at least be a fourth series, and quite possibly a fifth. Then it will be over and out.

by Anonymousreply 15610/15/2012

Just read that on the IMDB message board for Downton Abbey

[quote]Just remember: When you have a tough decision ahead of you, think to yourself: WWLGD?

(What Would Lord Grantham Do? - isn't it Earl Grantham though?)

[quote]Then do the opposite of that. ALWAYS do the opposite!

by Anonymousreply 15710/15/2012

r155 here. I meant Thomas and Branson, of course.

by Anonymousreply 15810/15/2012

R6 called in, back in April. My guess is the story will play out with the baby as R6 stated.

by Anonymousreply 15910/15/2012

R157 - 'Lord Grantham' is a standard short form of 'the Earl of Grantham'. The Duke of Westminster isn't ever 'Lord Westminster', though. I don't know why it's different for dukes and earls, but it is.

by Anonymousreply 16010/15/2012

Just watched it. Sybil!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Another sad thing: it seems the cute blond twink is, in fact, straight and weirded out by Thomas's come-ons. Do we think he'll let Thomas pound his twink ass just to stay on "good terms" with him?

by Anonymousreply 16110/15/2012

[quote]Series 3 is the last of downtown unfortunately .... Not even a Christmas special :(

There is indeed a Christmas special and most members of the cast have signed up for the seasons four and five.

by Anonymousreply 16210/16/2012

[quote] I don't know why it's different for dukes and earls, but it is.

Here you go...

by Anonymousreply 16310/16/2012

Sobbing as I type. Episode 4 of Season 3, have your valet on standby with a hanky and a bucket to fill with tears.

by Anonymousreply 16410/19/2012

I swear, it's not playing on my PBS, I can't ever find it.

by Anonymousreply 16510/19/2012

sorry it's episode 5. Coming to PBS starting Jan 6, 2013.

"There could be nothing worse than this, my lady." - Carson

by Anonymousreply 16610/19/2012

Heartbroken about Sybil, but somewhat relieved it's not Thomas, Mr Bates or the Dowager Countess. Was hoping they'd bump off O'Brien instead.

by Anonymousreply 16710/19/2012

The trailer of next week's episode doesn't look well for Thomas. O'Brien's egging him on to make a move while being well aware that the object of Thomas' desire is disgusted by Thomas' hands all over him. Payback is a bitch, Thomas.

by Anonymousreply 16810/22/2012

My hope is Jimmy is overcompensating as he knows that O'Brien knows that Thomas is being touchy feely. Maybe he'll welcome the late night visit, but demand to keep things down low. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and Robert needs to shut his face. He's just awful this season with the mismanagement of the estate and the creepiness to Tom. And his dismissal of Edith's ambitions. He was such a sweetheart in Season 1. Very disappointing.

Bates is a bore.

by Anonymousreply 16910/22/2012

[quote]My hope is Jimmy is overcompensating as he knows that O'Brien knows that Thomas is being touchy feely. Maybe he'll welcome the late night visit, but demand to keep things down low. Fingers crossed.

Lol, Thomas is that you? That is some strong wishful thinking.

by Anonymousreply 17010/22/2012

Bates is really boring. What should they do with the character? Out of prison, he's still boring.

by Anonymousreply 17110/22/2012

It is Sybil, and Edith runs off with the driver!

by Anonymousreply 17210/26/2012

yep poor sybil dies in childbirth, feel so bad for branson (excuse me "tom") and baby!!!

by Anonymousreply 17310/29/2012

Has Shirley made an appearance yet?

by Anonymousreply 17410/29/2012

I missed it. What happened with Thomas?

by Anonymousreply 17510/29/2012

Thomas is gay.

by Anonymousreply 17610/29/2012

Thomas made a move on the new footman. Obviously being a "sodomite" is illegal and it is still unclear what the repercussions will be.

by Anonymousreply 17710/29/2012

Well, they wanted to get rid of Thomas anyway since Bates is back. The teaser for next week looks like Thomas is gonna get sacked. But I do wonder if Mr. Carson really wants the new footman to cause a scandal by eporting Thomas and what he was doing under his Lordship's home. Somehow Carson doesn't seem to like the footman at all.

by Anonymousreply 17810/30/2012

Surprisingly Julian Fellowes hates gay men and I am sure he's enjoying making the chief monster on the show a queer boy and the way to prison or worse.

by Anonymousreply 17910/30/2012

It's really odd how liberal the upper crust comes off on that show and yet we are to believe they draw the line at homosexuality?

by Anonymousreply 18010/30/2012

Sybil. WHY WHY WHY? I hate Mary. I like Edith in series two and three but Sybil was so nice.

by Anonymousreply 18111/04/2012

Season 3 started in the UK this past September. Certainly, someone must know by now.

by Anonymousreply 18212/11/2012

Yeah, but Sybil was pretty boring--especially this last season. On the plus side, we see a lot more of her handsome husband.

by Anonymousreply 18312/11/2012

The current Beg-A-Thon promises that if you donate $120, the local PBS station will send the DVD of Season 3.

by Anonymousreply 18412/11/2012

Question: If ANY of the girls bore a son, would that satisfy the provisions of the entail, or would it have to be a son of Mary's only?

by Anonymousreply 18512/11/2012

Well - it ended up being TWO major characters who died on Season 3. And I think they will be sorely missed.

by Anonymousreply 18612/28/2012

Its matthew and im 100 percent sure .... He dies in a carwreck

by Anonymousreply 18712/28/2012

well it was Lady Sybil which was such a shame she was my favourite character and was so nice and sweet and always kind to everyone! poor branson and then in the christmas speacial of series 3 Matthew is thought to be dead but will he survive???

by Anonymousreply 18812/28/2012

Why did you bother with question marks, R189?

by Anonymousreply 18912/28/2012

[quote]Yeah, but Sybil was pretty boring--especially this last season. On the plus side, we see a lot more of her handsome husband.

WTF? Sybil wasn't boring! The Sybil/Branson romance was my favorite. At least they were interesting! Matthew and Mary were so boring and clichéd. I stopped watching when they killed off Sybil. They barely got any screen time in season 1, and then they just decide to kill off Sybil? Nop. That's not ok.

by Anonymousreply 19012/30/2012

Anyone know the meaning to the phrase "her ladyship's soap" that Thomas told Bates to say to O'Brian to get her to back off?

by Anonymousreply 19101/01/2013

r192 - O'Brian caused Lady Cora's miscarriage in the first season by strategically placing a bar of soap on the floor by Cora's bathtub so she would slip and fall. O'Brian thought Cora was going to dismiss her and wanted revenge. She was horrified to discover, after causing the miscarriage, that Cora had no intention of getting rid of her loyal servant.

by Anonymousreply 19201/01/2013

Unfortunately, both Sybil and Matthew die in season 3.

Sybil dies during childbirth and Matthew dies in a car accident after Mary gives birth to their child.

by Anonymousreply 19301/08/2013

Hi it is reply 182. Now Matthew is dead and I hate lady Mary more than ever. Why oh why did they kill off the second nicest male (Branson the first). I know it's because dan Stevens signed a Hollywood contract :-(

by Anonymousreply 19401/13/2013

I just received the entire season 3 of downton and Sible dies in child birth. Mrs Hughes is okay with the cancer but the last episode Matt and Mary have a baby boy. Matt is so happy that he drive home, get into a car accident and it looks like he dies too. the very end he's laying in the wreck with blook running down his head and his eyes are open. never know but looks like he's gone too. thank goodness for branson. he's helping the abby since sible died.

by Anonymousreply 19501/19/2013

I guess we all know now!

by Anonymousreply 19601/28/2013

I think its Matthew. It would suck though. Him and Mary are so great together.

by Anonymousreply 19702/02/2013

R186, it had to be a son of Matthew's. Matthew is the heir to the Earl of Grantham. The children of his daughters don't count. Male succeeds male, so it goes Grantham, Matthew as the next male heir in line, then Matthew's sons.

by Anonymousreply 19802/02/2013

What a cad to say it should be Maggie Smith just because she's getting older and older and doesn't need more money! Must have been posted by a young un!

I was very sad to see Lady Sybil die in childbirth and I will definitely miss her goodness and sweetness in this series-she was like a breath of fresh air and yes, the sweetest spirit in all of Downton Abbey by far!

by Anonymousreply 19902/05/2013

I must quit watching this show!! It's killing me. it was bad enough Lady Sybil died, but now Matthew. I would have much rather seen the gay guy die while being shrivelous.

by Anonymousreply 20002/17/2013

Was he swimming in cold water?

by Anonymousreply 20102/17/2013

[quote]I would have much rather seen the gay guy die while being shrivelous.

I can't imagine Thomas being "shrivelous."

by Anonymousreply 20202/17/2013

Thomas would make an excellent zombie in The Walking Dead. He was such a bloody mess after that fight that Andrea would definitely have mistakenly shot him, like she did Darryl.

by Anonymousreply 20302/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.