Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Hopper commercial -

Why do they all have thick Boston accents? They keep yelling "The Hoppah!"

Anyway, I'm in California but I fucking love hearing the accent. I've never seen an ad here though that had such pronounced accents.

by Anonymousreply 5803/21/2013

So, it's not just shown here in Boston? I thought maybe it was regionally targeted. I crack up every time I see it.

by Anonymousreply 204/05/2012

[quote]I thought maybe it was regionally targeted.

I thought most ads were regionally targeted, that's why I got such a kick out of this one playing in California. It must have done well or tested well here, because it's on a lot .. and it always cracks me up.

by Anonymousreply 304/05/2012

Ok, I realize I might set off the racist troll, but do black people who live in the Boston area have Boston accents?

by Anonymousreply 404/05/2012

[quote]do black people who live in the Boston area have Boston accents?

by Anonymousreply 504/05/2012

Some of them do, R4. Some don't. I wonder if it has anything to do with how deep-rooted their families are to the Boston area.

by Anonymousreply 604/05/2012

Oh my god. That is some accent! Here is the commercial. It even says BOSTON.

by Anonymousreply 704/05/2012

They're making fun of the accent.

r6, are there any on youtube? I don't think I've ever seen one.

by Anonymousreply 804/05/2012

Poor old grandpa lives in that tiny basement.

by Anonymousreply 904/05/2012

It's certainly a way of getting your product known. State what it does and say the name 10 times emphatically.

by Anonymousreply 1004/05/2012

I've seen the commercial in Maryland. I am originally from Massachusetts. I laughed wicked hard when I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 1204/05/2012

I think it's mean spirited. They're just all portrayed as angry bitter people. It's ugly.

That mcdonalds coffee commercial with the two guys was a better and more humorous version of the accent.

by Anonymousreply 1304/06/2012

It's a pissah

by Anonymousreply 1404/06/2012

r15, after more than one Bostonian says they like it, you tell the negative guy it's nice to hear a Bostonian take? I'm insulted.

by Anonymousreply 1604/06/2012

"Shaddup!" Love him.

by Anonymousreply 1704/06/2012

When I was a kid, I read a joke in Reader's Digest (I know, it was the only thing to read at my grandparents') about a woman shopping for earrings at a Boston department store. The punch line, such as it was, was that the clerk kept asking if the woman had "PSDS".

by Anonymousreply 1804/06/2012

I'm in California, R11, and I know it's a Boston accent. Which I guess goes to show that the humor actually crosses state lines, and people outside the Northeast are capable of getting "the jok," as you so brightly put it.

by Anonymousreply 1904/06/2012

[quote] the clerk kept asking if the woman had "PSDS".

My best high school friend went off to college in AZ in the 1970s. One night there was a party in one of the dorms, but she and her friends didn't know which room. She asked several people where the party was and they shrugged and looked at her as if she were crazy.

Finally one guy gave her and her friends very detailed instructions. They climbed flights of stairs, went down hallways and ended up at a women's bathroom.

They left and went back to find the guy. "Why did you send us to the bathroom, you idiot? Not funny!"

The guy was confused at her anger and said, "I sent you there because you asked me if I knew where the potty was."

by Anonymousreply 2004/06/2012

Does every female in Boston have red hair?

by Anonymousreply 2104/06/2012

I think R13 is referring to the commercials for McDonalds New England style coffee, which was advertised as "only available in New England".

There were a whole series of ads, but I remember seeing this one quite often when I was in Vermont... It's the one where the guy quizzes his friend on New England trivia before handing over the coffee.

by Anonymousreply 2204/06/2012

Why do they always make the Bostonians in movies and commercials Irish? Like there aren't any Italian-Americans or other ethnicity in town? I find this annoying even though I'm part Irish.

by Anonymousreply 2304/06/2012

yup that's it r22! Love those guys.

I guess the 'HOPPAH' people remind me too much of all the drunken idiots who wouldn't let gays march in their parade.

by Anonymousreply 2404/06/2012

Boston witness to a fatal stabbing.

A good citizen true em inna cah

by Anonymousreply 2504/06/2012

Real Housewives of South Boston

by Anonymousreply 2604/06/2012

I am convinced that the "Hoppah" commercial by DISH Networks portrays an Irish-American slur and I plan to file a class action suit on behalf of all Irish-Americans.

How about they do a series of spots with a stepped up Jewish-American accent or a thick African-American accent that only they can understand? Better yet, how about an Italian-American accent that pokes fun?

Huh? Think this would go down OK?

by Anonymousreply 2704/06/2012

Can't tell if you're joking r27, but it is kind of a slur. There's a fine line between a jokey representation of an ethnic type (like the McDonald's coffee commercial) vs laughing at and making fun of a group that is depicted as inferior to the viewer.

Real Housewives of South Boston, and the Rachel Dratch 'NOMAAAAAAH' skits were more examples the latter. It's just making fun of working class people. You can do it in a way that's not so mean. That meanness humor is troubling. very proto-fascist.

Reminds me of the scene in cabaret where Joel Grey is dancing with a gorilla, and the punchline at the end is "she doesn't look like a Jew to me!" and the audience roars with laughter.

by Anonymousreply 2804/06/2012

I'm Irish American and a card-carrying legal citizen of the Ould Sod. I love the Real Housewives of South Boston. I recognize some of my adolescent friends among them.

by Anonymousreply 2904/06/2012

How is anyone seeing that Hopper ad as racist and slur like??

by Anonymousreply 3004/06/2012

I'd get my ass kicked daily if I lived in New York, New Jersey or Boston because those accents crack me up and remind me of so many sitcom and movie characters - it's hard to take them seriously.

by Anonymousreply 3104/06/2012

That accent gives me an instant boner.

by Anonymousreply 3204/06/2012

U black, R30?

Then "Shaddup!"

by Anonymousreply 3304/06/2012

Even crazier:

In Bostonian slang, the word "hopper" (which of course is pronounced "hoppah") means toilet.

by Anonymousreply 3404/07/2012

Re: "Why do they always make the Bostonians in movies and commercials Irish? Like there aren't any Italian-Americans or other ethnicity in town? I find this annoying even though I'm part Irish."

Simply because Irish-Americans comprise the largest single ethnic group in Boston at nearly 16%. That's nearly double the number of Italian-Americans in Boston, at just over 8%.

by Anonymousreply 3504/07/2012

R22, there was another linked video where the two guys agree that the best Broadway musical is 'Wicked!' Funny.

by Anonymousreply 3604/07/2012

Proper Bostonians.

by Anonymousreply 3704/07/2012

I'm a Boston native. "Hopper" is slang for TOILET here. This ad is HILARIOUS!!

by Anonymousreply 3804/08/2012

r37, it looks like that was filmed in the 5th floor reading room of the Boston Athenaeum. It's worth a visit for anyone who visits. Amazing room.

by Anonymousreply 3904/08/2012

R39: It is terrific. For lovers of splendid rooms, it's almost difficult to go wrong in making the decision to visit any athenaeum.

by Anonymousreply 4004/08/2012

As opposed to the reading room at the Boston Public Library

by Anonymousreply 4104/10/2012

Or the reading room at Harvard's Widener Library, named after a Titanic victim.

by Anonymousreply 4204/10/2012

My family is as old the country as theirs, older even, and don't have such an accent. I think the Boston "Brahmin" accent is something of a fake, not handed down through the generations, but something created in the 19th century, self-consciously, and brought down to the present as a class marker.

by Anonymousreply 4304/10/2012

I'm from Boston but live in SC and think it's a total riot!!! It reminds me of my family living in Milton MA when I was a kid. Boston is a unique place and I miss it

by Anonymousreply 4404/14/2012

I'm from NH, I'm a hearty New Englandah through and through and have a deep hatred of Massachusetts (awful drivers, the rumors are true!) but this commercial is hilarious because that's exactly what a NE household is like.

They might be poking fun at the accent a bit, but just because we're angry and bitter, doesn't mean we don't see the humor too.

My boss talks about this commercial at least once a day, yelling "the hoppah!" while she does it. Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 4506/16/2012

I never realized they played this commercial outside of New England!! I'm from Massachusetts and I LOVE this commercial. It cracks me up every time. "Meatloaf!!! And some BEERS!!!!"

I've never heard anyone refer to a toilet as a hopper? Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 4606/24/2012

I am from Boston and I love it! I no longer live in Massachusetts, so it reminds me of home. Wicked funny.

by Anonymousreply 4707/03/2012

My dad has a Boston accent and he thought the people in the commercial were supposed to be talking in a new York accent

by Anonymousreply 4808/21/2012

There are few items with Dish Network's "The Hopper" Commercial. First, one of the guy is apparently from Maine (he quizzes another guy on the Capital of Maine; he was told by the grandfather to "start leaving"; and his accent is definitely pointing towards Maine). May be a cousin of the family?

Second, during the commercial with the driving scene, obviously that is no place in New England that I have been... looks like palm trees! Would have been nicer if they used a Boston landmark.

Third, most folks from New England know that the term "hopper" is used for the "toilet".

by Anonymousreply 4909/10/2012

I thought they were all Australian.

by Anonymousreply 5009/10/2012

They want to focus on the name "Hopper" because it draws attention to the unique feature of the service: It automatically detects commercials and "hops" right over them. I'd love that.

by Anonymousreply 5109/10/2012

I grew up in the North Shore and yes, black Bostonians (my Gramie) also called the toilet the "hoppah"

by Anonymousreply 5209/10/2012

Love da hoppah! Mom always reminded us to use it before we left for Reverah Beach.

by Anonymousreply 5309/18/2012

R45: If you think drivers in MA are bad I invite you to drive about 45 miles south into RI. We have without a doubt the worst fucking drivers in the country.

by Anonymousreply 5409/18/2012

All the people in the commercial are originally from the Boston area. Some live in CA now while others flew out there to film the commercial. So yes, the accents are real.

by Anonymousreply 5510/24/2012

That's definitely the Eastern Mass. ethnic blue collar accent. Irish people speak it, but so do the other assimilated ethnic groups (Italian, Polish, Portuguese, French-Canadians, Greeks, Armenians, Lebanese, etc. You could have filmed that in Boston, Medford, Lawrence, Lowell, Worcester or Brockton and they'd all have that same dialect. Watch episodes of "This Old House" and listen to the plumbers and electricians.

by Anonymousreply 5610/24/2012

We see 'em awl heeyah in Flawruduch. Wicked ahsum !

by Anonymousreply 5703/09/2013

Being a Long Islandet, I just assumed it was a NYC accent. lol

by Anonymousreply 5803/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!