Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Frau Gets Internet Thrashing for Piercing Her Baby Girl's Ears... the request of her Nicaraguan husband.

by Anonymousreply 2403/19/2013

If you're going to do it, when they're tiny babies is the time. It's when they're older that they tug on them and get them infected. I personally wouldn't do it to my kid but I have a boy. And I didn't circumcise him either.

by Anonymousreply 104/03/2012

I agree it really is the business of the parents but...

I personally don't care for pierced ears on infants - it looks tacky. Let the kid get her ears pierced when she asks for it at whatever age that might be - 4, 8, 13 whatever. What is the rush with these people. Not to mention the choking hazard.

by Anonymousreply 204/03/2012

It's a custom in many countries where the predominate religion is Catholic & there's a strong Spanish influence -- the ones I'm familiar with are Mexico & the Philippines. It's harmless when done properly.

by Anonymousreply 304/03/2012

I think it's tacky, personally, but it's far from uncommon. Even my white-trash cousin (who's not Hispanic btw) did it for her four-month-old baby girl.

by Anonymousreply 404/03/2012

I would never think about this being odd. Male circumcision is common for many americans and that's more permanent than pierced ears on an infant.

This reminds me of my mom telling me the story of going to work one day and leaving me with my babysitter, per usual. She came home to my ears having been pierced. My babysitter had decided that it was time and never consulted with my mother. My mom is from the Caribbean and felt that she missed out on a seminal moment in a mom/daughter's life by not being there while it happened. Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 504/03/2012

It's very tacky and trashy to pierce a baby's ears.

by Anonymousreply 604/03/2012

Even trashier I saw some chavs the other day and the boy baby had a pierced ear!

by Anonymousreply 704/03/2012

It should be done as a right of passage. Your child may grow up to hate them and had no say as to it being done. Sometimes they close up most times they don't.

I especially hate it on baby boys.

by Anonymousreply 804/03/2012

I'm Hispanic, and my mother didn't pierce my ears as an infant even though everyone told her to. I asked to get them done when I was 8, and though I remember it being painful, it wasn't traumatic at all, and no one gave a shit that I didn't have earrings before then.

Why pierce anything on a baby unnecessarily? It's just weird to me.

by Anonymousreply 1004/03/2012

Some cultures are very keen on emphasizing femininity for girls and masculinity for boys.

Personally, I don't find this healthy-- it encourages girls to think of themselves as decorative objects and encourages boys to suppress their feelings.

I also find that emphasizing (and exaggerating) sex characteristics is far more common in lower-class groups.

by Anonymousreply 1104/03/2012

by Anonymousreply 1303/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 1403/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 1503/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 1603/19/2013

If you mean to deface your baby, why not get them tattoos, too?

by Anonymousreply 1703/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 1803/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 1903/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 2003/19/2013

My sister is dealing with this, her husband's family is European and they hassle her to pierce the baby's ears.

She says she thinks it's trashy-looking but might do it anyway to make them STFU about it.

by Anonymousreply 2103/19/2013

She might as well r21. I was born in the early 70's and didn't have mine pierced as a baby but I was pretty young, maybe 5 or 6. If the kid is going to end up getting earrings I guess she may as well get them young when she can't mess with them. My sister didn't let her daughter do hers till she was 10 and the kid totally messed with them, took them out too soon, wore crappy non hypo earrings and had infections all the time.

by Anonymousreply 2203/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!