Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mega Millions Mess in Maryland

Thanks to Mirlande Wilson.

This is EXACTLY why I don't do Lotto office pool. What a stupid idea.

by Anonymousreply 6904/22/2012

Because of the mess, they may cancel the next Mega Millions.

by Anonymousreply 104/03/2012

OP, the site you linked to is some fucking bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 204/03/2012

In the other Mega Millions thread someone said this might happen.

by Anonymousreply 304/03/2012

[quote]One man, who was identified only as Allen, said he went to Wilson’s house personally to caution her against not sharing her piece of the $656 million jackpot.

“These people are going to kill you. It’s not worth your life!” Allen said he told Wilson after knocking on her front door for about 20 minutes

Mirlande, you in danger girl!

by Anonymousreply 404/03/2012

According to Maryland lottery officials, she's lying about having the winning ticket

by Anonymousreply 504/03/2012

If she is lying she shouldn't have pissed off her co-workers.

by Anonymousreply 604/03/2012

In Maryland you can win the lottery and be anonymous. So she could collect and who'd know?

by Anonymousreply 704/03/2012

OMG, she won't turn in her lottery. They may cancel the Mega-Millions till things are cleared up.

by Anonymousreply 804/03/2012

Is that kind of attention really what people want? Does she think she now gets paid to show up at clubs and events for being famous or gets her own reality TV show?

by Anonymousreply 904/03/2012

Of course she's lying. She has all the numbers memorized when she can't even find the ticket?

by Anonymousreply 1004/03/2012

"So she could collect and who'd know?"

Oh? You mean the ten-foot-high weave and the hula hoop-sized gold earrings, plus the pink Cadillac won't be noticed when she drives up to de McD's and orders ten thousands Big Macs at the Drive-thru where she quit working?

by Anonymousreply 1104/03/2012

She bought her winning ticket separately, that's why she won't share her winnings to her co-workers.

by Anonymousreply 1304/03/2012

R13, do you always believe everything people say?

Even if she did buy a winning ticket (which is currently in doubt), the court will require her to share the proceeds with her co-workers.

by Anonymousreply 1404/03/2012

I would never, EVER buy a ticket "with" anyone. I buy one or two dollars a week just for fun.

by Anonymousreply 1504/03/2012

[quote]the court will require her to share the proceeds with her co-workers.

If she's holding the ticket, the coworkers can sue. Then the court will require them to prove their case. I hope they had something in writing to memorialize the agreement.

by Anonymousreply 1604/03/2012

I did an office pool, but then photcopied the tickets and gave everyone in the pool a copy of the tickets. If I wanted to buy tickets on my own, it would be easy to prove that they were indeed my own if I won.

by Anonymousreply 1704/03/2012

In our office pool, the person responsible for the tix goes out at lunch to get the tickets, prints copies of every ticket and distributes to everyone participating, just for this reason. It sounds like some people are too trusting and not too smart.

by Anonymousreply 1804/03/2012

How Many coworkers are involved?

by Anonymousreply 1904/03/2012

I think 30 of them.

by Anonymousreply 2004/03/2012

FWIW, if you work in an office of the federal government, it's supposedly illegal to participate in a pool on the premises. I cannot cite the regulation. Because of the huge lottery award, lots of articles appeared on lottery pools. One article mentioned the federal prohibition on pools conducted on site. That stuck because I was formerly a DOJ attorney and participated in an office pool years ago. No one there seemed to have any clue it was verboten.

by Anonymousreply 2104/03/2012

Mirlande is as good as dead.

by Anonymousreply 2204/03/2012

Fucking thief!

by Anonymousreply 2304/03/2012

I remember an office pool going back in the 90's when I refused to play they got mad at me. My reason was simply I wanted it(if I won) all to myself, but also because I didn't trust or like my co-workers. No one won but I knew then not to do anything like that.

by Anonymousreply 2404/03/2012

Would have been easier if everybody in the pool bought their own ticket all using the same set of numbers. That way, the lottery agency does the split and nobody can run off with the winning ticket.

by Anonymousreply 2504/03/2012

A Frau is the female version of a self righteous, simple minded, "mommy" focused, trend worshipping, chain email sending, potluck going, easily led sheep

by Anonymousreply 2704/03/2012

She's full of shit. The MD Lottery said the person who won bought a SINGLE ticket just 3 hours before the drawing.

by Anonymousreply 2804/03/2012

According to The Insider, she had a million dollar make-over, and still hasn't turned in her ticket. This story just gets weirder and weirder!

by Anonymousreply 2904/03/2012

R16, it's doubtful a court would require them to have an agreement in writing. Courts make decisions every day based on evidence submitted in affidavits.

by Anonymousreply 3004/03/2012

She's a cunt. 'Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 3104/03/2012

What's the deal in sharing her earnings? She's getting a mill already.

by Anonymousreply 3204/03/2012

So, she's getting shanked for nothing then?

by Anonymousreply 3304/03/2012

Greed, R32. Well, along with the fact that it's doubt she won anything and this is all about getting attention.

by Anonymousreply 3404/03/2012

r28, then that makes her story true.

I always made copies of the officee pool tickets and give them to the participants while I hold on to the originals because I like to get my own also.

If there were say 20 people buying in at $5 each then she got 100 tickets, the lottery people can tell if that winning ticket was part of group of tickets bought of if it was one lone ticket brought 3 hours before the drawing.

If that was the ticket then I believe her because after she did took care of the pool for the office, maybe on her way home, she popped into somewhere and bought one last ticket for herself.

by Anonymousreply 3504/03/2012

"After we reported last night that Mirlande Wilson was a no show at the Mega Millionaire’s office yesterday to claim her jackpot prize it seems that events have escalated with Wilson now no where to be seen. Apparently her co workers are now suspecting that Wilson has gone into hiding, fearing their reprisal and perhaps trying to hatch a plan to get out of having to pay her fellow co workers what many perceive to be their share of the winnings."

by Anonymousreply 3604/03/2012

She doesn't have the winning ticket. She probably doesn't have any ticket and burned through the office money.

by Anonymousreply 3704/03/2012

r37, but why the hell would she draw attention to herself then when she didn't buy a single ticket? All she could have said was that a) she bought them somewhere else or b) that she didn't pick the winning ticket and leave it at that would people really attack for to be a liar when she keeps her cool?

by Anonymousreply 3804/03/2012

If she doesn't have the winning ticket, girlfriend better start showing up to her shifts at McDonalds!!! She's got seven chirrens to feed.

by Anonymousreply 3904/03/2012

The flaky McDonald's worker who claims she has a $218 million-winning Mega Millions ticket called a huge press conference Wednesday - and then arrived late only to tell the press to leave.

Her lawyer announced to the mystified journalists packed into his Baltimore law office that the purpose of the press conference was "to ask you all to go home."

Mirlande Wilson, 37, of Maryland, [bold]who is said by coworkers to crave attention[/bold], hit one jackpot: a chaotic scrum of reporters and camera crews waiting to talk to her.

But she never spoke.

Asked if this was her plea for 15 minutes of fame, she shook her head.

Her lawyer, Edward Smith, said, "No, she doesn't want 15 minutes of fame."

Instead, he said, she would "like you all to go home."

"This needs to stop so she and her children can go back to a normal life," he said.

For the record, Smith says he hasn’t seen the purported ticket either.

[bold]"I cannot say with any certainty this ticket exists," he said, unreasurringly.[/bold]

Wilson, a Haitian single mother of seven who claims to be one of the three big winners of Friday's $656 Mega Millions jackpot, has told various conflicting stories about how she came by her alleged ducat.

She told a TV station she bought it at a 7-Eleven store for herself. Then she said a coworker purchased it for her alone while separately buying tickets for the pool organized at her McDonald’s in Baltimore.

"I thought I'd play one dollar by myself," she told the Daily News.

[bold]She has said she definitely won; she thinks she won; she has the ticket at home; she stashed the ticket at McDonalds; and she has it in another, unspecified secret "safe" place.

On Monday, she told the News that she hasn't even checked her ticket against the winning numbers.[/bold]

She declined Wednesday to say where it was, and Smith said he did not know.

On her Facebook page, [bold]where she calls herself Sheila Paraison for some reason[/bold], she wrote, "i don't want da money it made my life a living hell already im gonna give it all to rebuild haiti."

Employees of the McDonalds are split between being furious that she might be trying to cut them out of a win and skeptical that she actually won anything.

"She could not have hidden any ticket here," one of them said at the eatery. "She hasn't been back and she doesn't have any locker to hide it. She would not hide it in the bathroom or anything."

One of the three winning tickets was indeed bought in Maryland, and no one but Wilson had come forward, but lottery officials say they are dubious that she has it.

No one has yet come forward in Kansas or Illinois — the other two states where winning tickets were sold.

by Anonymousreply 4004/04/2012

When did she first come out about it. Maybe this is some April Fool's day joke gone wrong.

by Anonymousreply 4104/04/2012

R25 the point of a pool is to get more different numbers to increase your chance of winning. If you just get a bunch of tickets with all of the same number, you do not increase your odds.

Previous court cases have sided with the coworkers in these cases, when there is a dispute over which tickets where for the group. So the lesson is, if you buy tickets for a group, make copies of the tickets to distribute to the other people and let them know you will also be playing some on your own. So they will know ahead of time and can check the tickets themselves.

by Anonymousreply 4204/04/2012

[quote]Would have been easier if everybody in the pool bought their own ticket all using the same set of numbers.

How stupid would that be, to buy all of the same numbers????

by Anonymousreply 4304/04/2012

This won't end well for her. She should share the money and move on. Fucking people ad money. Make me sick.

by Anonymousreply 4404/04/2012

This crazy bitch is an attention whore.

End of story.

by Anonymousreply 4504/04/2012

Please don't let her be....oh.

by Anonymousreply 4604/04/2012

While everyone is looking around McD's to find that supposedly hidden ticket, she's outta the state by now! haha

by Anonymousreply 4704/04/2012

LOL! Of course, she made all this up. She's insane. Maybe she thought she could parlay this into some financial gain like a loan or a free weave, hairdo and press-ons at the salon.

Has pathetic creature procreated yet?

by Anonymousreply 4804/04/2012

I'm beginning to think the woman wanted her 15 minutes of fame. Otherwise, she would have turned in her golden ticket by now.

by Anonymousreply 4904/04/2012

She has 7 kids, R48.

by Anonymousreply 5004/04/2012

[quote]In Maryland you can win the lottery and be anonymous. So she could collect and who'd know?

Apparently, in Illinois, you can't be anonymous, which I think is just a terrible idea.

Granted, though not anywhere near as big as mega millions, various people win a couple of million regularly or win something like $2500 per week for life on a scratch-off, their pictures are on the lottery website, but everyone forgets pretty quick.

So, there's a good chance nothing happens to the winner, but with such a huge amount of money, it just seems stupid to publicize the winner and risk people targeting them.

What a pain in the ass.

I've always wanted to know, if you take a lump sum payment (say, $80 million dollars), where do you put it until you decide what to do with it. I mean, do you just put it in your checking/savings account or is there some special account the bank can set up until you decide how to spend, invest, save, and/or distribute it?

by Anonymousreply 5104/04/2012

They have video tape of the people who bought tickets at the time the tickets were sold. They can't tell the exact second, but they have narrowed it down to about 5 different people who bought tickets around the exact time the winning ticket was sold. That 7/11 gets about 1% of the winnings of the ticket sold

This person is a scammer. If she had the ticket she would turn it in. She's probably a welfare queen with all her kids (by different fathers). She's trash. Why would we let some piece of shit like that into our country?

by Anonymousreply 5204/04/2012

Having lived there before I KNEW there'd be trouble when I heard one of the winners was from Bawlmer.

by Anonymousreply 5304/04/2012

Can the other contestants claim their prize if she hasn't turned in her ticket yet?

by Anonymousreply 5404/04/2012

What is the upside of lying about having the winning ticket? I do think she's crazy, but even so, I can't figure out how someone would think there's any benefit to having the winning ticket.

by Anonymousreply 5504/04/2012

She did get her 15 minutes of fame....and her own thread on DL

by Anonymousreply 5604/04/2012

55, because she's not only insane, she's also stupid.

by Anonymousreply 5704/04/2012

[quote]Can the other contestants claim their prize if she hasn't turned in her ticket yet?

Of course! Why wouldn't they be able to?

And ... contestants???

by Anonymousreply 5804/05/2012

[quote]I can't figure out how someone would think there's any benefit to having the winning ticket

Really? I would think an upside of having the winning ticket would be the millions of dollars you just won.

by Anonymousreply 5904/05/2012

R51, stop dissing Illinois you crazy queen.

by Anonymousreply 6004/05/2012

Now she says she lost the ticket. Yeah, right.

by Anonymousreply 6104/06/2012

It's because she's black.

by Anonymousreply 6204/18/2012

Stupid bitch didn't have shit.

by Anonymousreply 6304/18/2012

She never had the ticket, she made it up and then went looking for an agent to get her a reality show since she was now famous. Backfired.

by Anonymousreply 6404/18/2012

R62, thank you for bumping this thread for the sole purpose of sharing that bon mot with us.

Idiot.

Let me save you the trouble:

by Anonymousreply 6504/18/2012

R65, go suck a goat.

by Anonymousreply 6604/22/2012

Some people have no sense of self-worth. And look like this woman.

by Anonymousreply 6704/22/2012

Has ANYBODY claimed the ticket?

by Anonymousreply 6804/22/2012

Yes, R68--the Baltimore winners were three teachers. They sounded like very nice people who would use the money wisely, not burn through it foolishly.

by Anonymousreply 6904/22/2012
Need more help? Click Here.