Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone seen Ricky Martin in Evita on Broadway in NYC? see tweet below from latin singer Marc Anthony

Marc Anthony ‏ @MarcAnthony

Just saw @ricky_martin on broadway in EVITA WOW simply WOW so proud of my brother you gotta see it. WOW

by Anonymousreply 8006/14/2012

Katie Holmes and her mom Kathleen head out to catch the Broadway musical Evita together on Thursday (March 22) in New York City.

by Anonymousreply 104/02/2012

Michael Cerveris ‏

Didn't get to meet Shirley MacLaine when she came backstage #EVITA to see Ricky today...but will surely have the chance in another life

by Anonymousreply 204/02/2012

This thread is a non-story.

by Anonymousreply 304/02/2012

R3, if you have not gone to see Ricky Martin Evita currently on Broadway, then shut up.

The question was whether anyone has seen it and can report.

by Anonymousreply 404/02/2012

R4 A) There's already a thread on this and B) Including a tweet from Marc is the non-story. Of course he's gonna say he liked it just to be nice to his "brother".

by Anonymousreply 504/02/2012

Perez Hilton ‏

Just saw #Evita on Broadway with Ricky Martin! Review to come on!

by Anonymousreply 604/03/2012

R3 = needs to get laid REAL bad

by Anonymousreply 704/03/2012

Max von Essen ‏

Oh you know, just hanging out with Nick Jonas & Perez Hilton in Ricky Martin's dressing room at @EvitaBroadway. #excuseme?

by Anonymousreply 804/03/2012

I saw it last Friday, the night Marc Anthony attended (he was about 4 rows in front of me). Ricky Martin is no great actor, but he sang good and looked hot as hell. I loved the whole production except for Elena Roger who paled in comparison to Lupone. (BTW, Governor Cuomo was there, but I couldn't see if Sandra "Kwanza Cake" Lee was there with him).

by Anonymousreply 904/03/2012

Perez Reviews: Evita on Broadway - starring Ricky Martin!

What a treat!!!

Such a special way to end a special day in New York City yesterday!

We took Momma Perez to see Ricky Martin in Evita, playing Broadway for the first since the musical ended its original run in 1983, and both the Puerto Rican superstar and the production did not disappoint!

Like Newsies, Evita is a MUST see!

It has everything we LOVE and want in a Broadway musical - excellent songs (timeless ones by Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber), great singing, great dancing, great acting, big sets, fancy costumes, razzle dazzle and all that jazz!

But this production of Evita has more than just flash! It also has a lot of heart! And the show shines brightly mostly because of its two leads - Ricky as Che and in the title role is Argentinian actress Elena Roger, who not only brings authenticity but also gravitas to her performance.

At first we were a little puzzled by her casting. "She's not tall enough," we thought. "She doesn't posses the movie star looks this part demands," we also told ourselves. But all that soon melted away as Elena transcended and transformed! It was fascinating and thrilling to watch her go from unknown Eva to adored Evita. It was equally thrilling to see her so skillfully sing and dance and act, doing it all with aplomb and class. She wasn't acting. She was BEING!

Such believability!

We would vote for her!!!!

And Ricky, as the everyman narrator, definitely has our vote! It was so beautiful to see his beautiful spirit shine so brightly on the Broadway stage!

His interpretation of Che oozes with charisma, just as he does in real life.

We had never seen him "act" in anything before, and we were pleasantly surprised by how well he did! His singing was excellent. His acting was too. And he even showed off his dance moves!

The only critique we had about Martin's performance was that there were a few moments when the heartthrob went into "Ricky" mode and channeled his inner idol. HOWEVER, that is not a lazy choice on his part. The director told us backstage, when we mentioned that (because we like to be honest), that it was his idea for Martin to do that. To give the audience a little of Ricky along with Che. Because, let's be more frank, it is Martin that is helping Evita do huge box office business.

And it is the great production that will help it continue to flourish!!!!

P.S. We totally geeked out and LOVED that Eva sings You Must Love Me in this production - a song written for the feature film adaptation, starring the Queen Of Pop.

P.P.S. Such a pleasant surprise to run into our old pal Nick Jonas at the show!

by Anonymousreply 1004/03/2012

A woman portraying a man.

No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 1104/03/2012

R10 That vapid queen puts more exclamation marks in one review than appear in "Gone with the Wind."

by Anonymousreply 1204/03/2012

[quote]The director told us backstage, when we mentioned that (because we like to be honest), that it was his idea for Martin to do that. To give the audience a little of Ricky along with Che. Because, let's be more frank, it is Martin that is helping Evita do huge box office business.

That is so beyond cheesy. One of the leads breaking character in a period piece to pander to the audience? Pity Danny Kaye is dead.

by Anonymousreply 1304/03/2012

Q: Would Marc Anthony had been so inspired to "Tweet" this stupidity had Ricky Martin not been Latin?

A: No.

by Anonymousreply 1404/03/2012

What's stupid about loving EVITA or Ricky?

by Anonymousreply 1504/03/2012

Carson Kressley ‏

Go see #evita on bway. Ricky Martin is fantastico!

by Anonymousreply 1604/03/2012

Good for Skeletor. that was nice.

by Anonymousreply 1704/03/2012

R3 sounds like she would be a real BLAST at parties.

by Anonymousreply 1804/03/2012

Review – Ricky Martin in Evita – Curtain Call Photos – March 16, 2012

Evita just started previews this week and I was lucky enough to get tickets. Almost 20 years ago, Evita was my first Broadway show, and both Patti Lupone and Mandy Patinkin left a big impression. In fact, I vividly remember the production which makes it tough to judge this new revival.

Ricky Martin has charisma to spare. When he walks on the stage, the audience responds. He sounds great, looks great and really lives the viva part. The role of Che is a powerful one; he is Evita’s equal on the stage. He is both narrator and conscience. But, he also has some great zingers which Martin needs to practice delivering. (The audience failed to react to a great line because of his delivery.) Martin is playing it too nice and lacks Patinkin’s rage. Through his passion, the audience saw Evita through Che’s eyes in the original production. So far with Martin, you feel more like a bystander. Martin still has a month before the actual opening, so there is plenty of time to inject some spice.

I am more concerned about Elena Rogers as Evita. She is a petite dynamo, singing and dancing up a storm. But, I can’t help comparing her to Patti Lupone. Rogers does not have the vocal power or range of Lupone. Then again, few actresses do. In the Buenas Aires number, she was timid at some points and sort-of hit the right notes, lacking the power to pull it off. But, she is not new to the role, having played Evita in the 2006 London revival. Out of practice? Here again, there is a month to pull things together. Rogers is the first Argentinian to play the role which does add an authentic accent to her delivery. In fact, her accent is thicker than Martin’s (who is from Puerto Rico).

There is also a subtle shift in Evita herself. Lupone’s Evita was always a power-hungry woman who used Peron in her ambitious drive for power. This was obvious in A New Argentina when Evita begrungingly concedes, “We’ll … you’ll be handed power on a plate”. Rogers plays the line as the supportive wife, bolstering her husband’s ego while pounding his chest. Under Rogers, Evita’s quest to become Vice President is no longer the ultimate prize but a footnote in her bio. This more PC-Evita may be a deference to the leading lady who’s country still views Eva Peron as a icon. However, it is at odds with the vamp described in Good Night and Thank You, I’d Be Surprisingly Good For You and Peron’s Latest Flame where she’s called, among other things, tart, b*tch, slut and whore. Eva’s power climb was contrary to the chauvinistic Argentinian culture where women did not even have the right to vote. Perhaps Lupone’s Evita belongs to the days of Dynasty, but she certainly was more fun to watch.

Just as in the original, Another Suitcase in Another Hall is a show stealer sung by Peron’s former mistress evicted by Evita. Rachel Potter, in the new production, is perfection delivering this tremendous song. I expect big things from her in the future. She already survived being Wednesday in The Addams Family.

Evita is my favorite musical from the team of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice. Incredible songs and a powerful story will make an impact, especially if this is your first viewing. It was interesting to see how they updated the production with all the new stage tech. Mixing real video clips of Peron added an odd sense of realism to the production. Don’t Cry for Me Argentina is breathtaking and flawless, sung on a picture perfect balcony! The realistic sets are impressive, but I long for the cavernous space of the original Broadway Theatre production. When the descamisados organized in the original, it felt like a political rally with real signs instead of just waving handkerchiefs.

I was not impressed with the faux-wrestling in the Art Of The Possible – very awkward, oddly choreographed, and poorly performed … a literal misstep. I preferred the musical chair allegory of the original. But, I loved the ending of the new production which has more drama than the original. And, no, I am not going to spoil it!

Overall, this new production of Evita was a joy and will only get better as it approaches the official opening. If it is your first time (or if you saw the mediocre Madonna movie version), you owe it to yourself to see Evita on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 1904/03/2012

R10 Why are you posting a link to that idiot's website? He's sooooo 2008!

by Anonymousreply 2004/03/2012

[quote]It was interesting to see how they updated the production with all the new stage tech. Mixing real video clips of Peron added an odd sense of realism to the production.

Updated? I saw the footage of the real Eva in a production in Long Beach back in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 2104/03/2012

Ricky Martin - Signing Autographs at "Evita" on Broadway Stage Door in NYC

by Anonymousreply 2204/03/2012

Ricky Martin - The staff of @PFLAG loved @evitabroadway! Congrats to you, Elena, Cerveris and cast!

PFLAG is the original ally organization, promoting the health and well-being of LGBT people, their families and friends through support, education and advocacy.

by Anonymousreply 2304/04/2012

That clip of him swamped by so many fans they have to have barriers preventing them from mobbing him at r22 is amazing. I had NO idea anyone other than gay men even remembered who he is.

He still looks great, I'll give him that.

by Anonymousreply 2404/04/2012

Ricky Martin is something of a national hero in Puerto Rico. He's done tons of charity work for schools and orphanages. A friend of mine who lives there says the reaction to his coming out was amazing; no bad press and a general attitude of "he's our Ricky, leave him alone".

by Anonymousreply 2504/04/2012

I hope he's learned to shut up about spirituality. That was always the only thing I ever had against him--he'd blather on about that and sounded like an idiot. Otherwise he's a sexy and cool guy.

by Anonymousreply 2604/04/2012

[quote]Why are you posting a link to that idiot's website? He's sooooo 2008!

Why are you complaing about a link to Perez's website? That's sooooooo jealous-queeny.

by Anonymousreply 2704/04/2012

Laura Martinez ‏

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Ricky Martin is FANTASTIC in Broadway's #Evita... Here he is!

by Anonymousreply 2804/05/2012

r24 Martin has nearly 6 million followers on twitter. He made way too big of an impact on American pop culture to be forgotten so soon, and he's a legend in Latin music.

by Anonymousreply 2904/05/2012

The few 'fans' clamoring for Miss Martin's autograph in r22's link remind us strangely of the 'fans' lined up(and also paid to perform for the camera?) to beg for Tammy Cruise's autograph.

by Anonymousreply 3004/05/2012

R29 He has nearly 6 million followers on Twitter, yet his last album only sold 100,000 copies, the singles flopped, and his tour flopped in many cities where he couldn't even fill 5,000 concert halls (and that was in Latin America where he's supposedly still big).

by Anonymousreply 3104/05/2012

I'm just glad I was able to use him while he was, briefly, red hot.

by Anonymousreply 3204/05/2012

"On the Pollstar Top 50 Worldwide Tours of the first half of 2011, Ricky Martin ranked at number 42. His tour grossed $17.700.000, with 37 shows and 246,141 total tickets."

Tour had 82 shows in total.

by Anonymousreply 3304/05/2012

Andrew Lloyd Webber ‏

Looking forward to seeing Evita back on Broadway tonight. Best wishes to the cast and crew for Opening Night!

by Anonymousreply 3404/05/2012

Jesse Tyler Ferguson ‏

Very excited to see @MaxizPad's "Evita" opening tonight on B-way. It's going to take everything in my power not to sing along. Every. Thing.

by Anonymousreply 3504/05/2012

r31 You do realize that the album was 98% in Spanish right? What do you expect? The 100k was how much it sold in America, I can't find the # of worldwide sells but for a latin album in this day and age, that is amazing. The RIAA certifies spanish-language albums differently because obviously they sell less (as most of the country does not speak the language) and the album has a latin platinum certification. The singles flopped? nope. All three singles went top 10 on the latin charts, one of them went #1.

by Anonymousreply 3604/05/2012

R26, you've said that a million times about Ricky Martin on datalounge!

You are absolutely stuck on that idea, but you feel compelled to share it endlessly.

by Anonymousreply 3704/05/2012

He campaigned and performed at George W Bush's inaugural.

by Anonymousreply 3804/05/2012

R33 Ranking at #47 is supposed to be impressive? Why don't you mention the details of cities that he went to that had embarassing figures?

Rio de Janeiro - 3,430 tickets sold from 8,433 available = Filled 41% capacity

Lima - 6,326 tickets sold from 21,000 available = Filled 30% capacity

Guayaquil - 9,334 tickets sold from 23,000 available = Filled 41% capacity

Caracas - 4,164 tickets sold from 8,809 available = Filled 47% capacity

Panama City - 1,514 tickets sold from 6,259 available = Filled 24% capacity

San Jose - 4,903 tickets sold from 19,274 available = Filled 25% capacity

by Anonymousreply 3904/05/2012

R8 LMAO! Perez was hanging out in his dressing room? Wow, I always did think Ricky was dumb as a box of rocks, but the fact that he let that pig hang out in his dressing room with him after all the shit he said about him in the past confirms what an airhead he is.

by Anonymousreply 4004/05/2012

[quote]He campaigned and performed at George W Bush's inaugural.

Yep. Funny how the dickmatized queens on here conveniently forget that. He's a disgrace who didn't bother coming out until his career was finished.

by Anonymousreply 4104/05/2012

Didn't he even raise Dubya's hand and said something to the effect of "Best President Ever" after singing La Vida Loca?

by Anonymousreply 4204/05/2012

r39 I love how you only post a handful of shows that didn't sell so well. There were LOTS of shows that were sold out or nearly sold out. 6 bad shows doesn't make the whole tour a "flop".

by Anonymousreply 4304/05/2012

"Evita" Red Carpet:

David Hyde Pierce, Vanessa Williams and Barbara Walters

by Anonymousreply 4404/05/2012

Coliseo de Puerto Rico tSan Juan t53,953 / 54,081 (~100%) t$3,908,348[9]

Amway Center tOrlando t4,930 / 5,447 (91%) t$332,631

Bell Centre tMontreal t3,186 / 3,704 (86%) t$231,931

The Colosseum at Caesars Palace tLas Vegas t4,003 / 4,003 (100%) t$439,863

Nokia Theater tLos Angeles t13,505 / 13,792 (98%) t$882,376

Credicard Hall tSão Paulo t6,573 / 7,054 (93%) t$687,386

Forum de Valencia tValencia t5,385 / 5,904 (91%) t$1,294,980

Palacio de Eventos de Venezuela tMaracaibo t3,379 / 3,412 (99%) t$999,130

Coliseo de Puerto Rico tSan Juan t12,379 / 12,778 (97%) t$600,282

by Anonymousreply 4504/05/2012

Evita - Theatre Review by Matthew Murray:

Ricky Martin (who previously appeared on Broadway in Les Misérables) is spectacular, wielding a bewitching stage presence and a robustly theatrical voice that shreds through even Webber's trickiest passages and displays both the tenderness and impatience that characterize Eva's devoted adherents and harshest critics.

He contrasts beautifully with Cerveris, who unleashes a performance of terrifying weight in the frequently thankless role of Juan, radiating a power and perniciousness that are so magnetic you can easily understand how he bends an entire country to his will.

Magaldi may be a one-joke and one-song role, but von Essen invests it with such passion that he becomes a major and unforgettable figure. Potter appears onstage for but a few minutes, and does nothing but sing the plaintive "Another Suitcase in Another Hall," but does so with an unadorned, heartbreaking determination that drives home exactly the way Eva leaves victims in her wake.

by Anonymousreply 4604/05/2012

I'm a eldergay. Saw it with PL. Ricky is ok, but nbd. I suspect Mr. Brantley or Isherwood will trash it.

by Anonymousreply 4704/05/2012

Andy Cohen ‏

En route to Opening Night of Evita on Broadway with my hot date @kathygriffin - who is my guest live on #wwhl tonight! (photo)

by Anonymousreply 4804/05/2012

David Hyde Pierce, Andy HOen, Carson Kressley, Perez Hilton...oh, dear! The only gays coming to see Ricky are the Z-list queens.

by Anonymousreply 4904/05/2012

R49 = just another gay man who hates gay celebrities. Really sad.

by Anonymousreply 5004/06/2012

EVITA Opening Night photos:

Stage actors turned TV stars Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Cheyenne Jackson are here to support pal Max von Essen.

by Anonymousreply 5104/06/2012

Cheyenne loves Ricky:

by Anonymousreply 5204/06/2012

R52 Cheyenne is so ugly in that video. That hairstyle and lip-curl thing he does is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 5304/06/2012

Eva Longoria ‏

Ricky Martin was amazing in Evita! Everyone has to come to NYC to see him on Broadway! Te quiero Ricky!

by Anonymousreply 5404/07/2012

[quote]Ricky Martin was amazing in Evita! Everyone has to come to NYC to see him on Broadway!

OMG! Yes! Everybody needs to fly to NYC JUST to see Dicky Martin in Evita! It's SOOOOO important! He's like the most important person in the world!

by Anonymousreply 5504/07/2012

Matthew Rettenmund Boy Culture

"But speaking of Ricky Martin—a guy I've never thought of as a particularly gifted vocalist—he was fantastico. From the moment he appears on the stage, he owns it, never ceding it, not even to Roger, except for perhaps half of "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" (the first half is spine-tingling, the second half marred by more shout-singing). He is confident, sexy (but not to the point of being a silly distraction) and his vocals are perfect. He sounds amazing and tells the story. He understands the words fully, something I understand Roger did not do when she first took the role, learning it phonetically. (It should be pointed out that even factoring in the tricky phrasing in the songs, she is often hard to understand, while Martin's diction is perfect.)

Equally impressive is Cerveris as Juan Peron. He's totally lost in the man and his voice is out of this world. Also loved movie-star handsome Max von Essen as Eva's first useful lover, Magaldi, and Rachel Potter for her lovely "Another Suitcase in Another Hall."

by Anonymousreply 5604/09/2012

OUT magazine

Just looking at's promo video for the musical, it's clear that Martin will be laying it on thick as Che. I mean, he's already naturally charming — but there's something about him in this video which makes me think he has that extra X-factor to make this show a hit. Like, seriously.

Every time he raises an eyebrow, I melt a little bit. I'm not sure if it's the suspenders, or the way he leads Evita across the dance floor, or even the prospect of him singing. But whatever the case, this shit is for REAL.

Check it out for yourself: (video)

by Anonymousreply 5704/09/2012

I saw the show and I thought Ricky was okay, but nothing wonderful. Not sure what all the hype about him in this role is about. Decent enough show though.

by Anonymousreply 5804/09/2012

Legendary Actress Rita Moreno shows her support for Ricky Martin after EVITA presentation in NY

by Anonymousreply 5904/11/2012

Kristin Chenoweth

Long Live Evita! Had a lovely time seeing a show id NEVER SEEN! Gorgeous Production!!!!

Congrats to Michael, Elena and Ricky and COMPANY for an amazing night. EVITA. We love you.

@button_lip show is gorgeous. Eberyone should see it!!

@ricky_martin i lOVED it. You wonderful man! Actor and spirit. The whole thing, moving. Inspirational!

@cerveris loved it so babe. Really beautiful and heartwarming!

@MaxizPad incredible work!

by Anonymousreply 6004/21/2012

Jean Paul Gaultier ‏

Had the chance to greet Ricky Martin last night after a great performance of @evitabroadway! #NewYorkNewYork

by Anonymousreply 6104/28/2012

Sherri Shepherd

In my fantasies I'm 18 Ricky Martin is my prom date as we dance to the Menudo sounds. #Evita

by Anonymousreply 6205/01/2012

R62 Oh, that's a real joke coming from that homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 6305/01/2012

Sherri Shepherd is homophobic?!

What did she do?

by Anonymousreply 6405/01/2012

No, r42, you complete moron. There IS film, you know.

Moreover, you complete moron, why would anyone say this BEFORE ANY INAUGURATION EVEN HAPPENED?

"Wayne Newton, the country duo Brooks & Dunn and the Latin pop singer Ricky Martin (who would later turn against Mr. Bush over the Iraq war) performed at his pre-inaugural event."

by Anonymousreply 6505/01/2012

R64 For one thing, she supported Prop 8 because she said she was afraid churches would be forced to marry gays. Second, anytime gay issues come up on The View, she always has this look of disapproval on her face.

by Anonymousreply 6605/01/2012

Thanks R66!

by Anonymousreply 6705/01/2012

How could Sherri Shephard support Prop. 8 when she lives in NY? And she has a "look of disapproval?" That's your evidence of homophobia?

by Anonymousreply 6805/01/2012

She supported Prop. 8 just as millions of us, not living in California, were against Prop. 8.

"Support" and "vote" are two different things. I support same-sex marriage for Australia, though I live in the U.S.A.

Did you learn English as a second language?

by Anonymousreply 6905/01/2012

Lea Salonga ‏ @MsLeaSalonga

Congratulations Ricky Martin MaxizPad Elena Roger Cerveris on a fabulous night at Evita!!!

Kiki, I thought to send this... Looking at it made me so happy.

by Anonymousreply 7005/05/2012

I love how they only post pictures of themselves with just Ricky -- and embracing, to boot!

by Anonymousreply 7105/05/2012

Mario Lopez ‏

With my friend Ricky Martin shooting @extratv ! Just saw Evita... Amazing! He was incredible...

by Anonymousreply 7205/08/2012

Why do people keep posting stupid tweets from celebs who have seen the show? Do you really think they're going to say anything bad? Of course they're going to say he was wonderful, whether they did or didn't feel that way. I want to hear unbiased reviews from regular people on DL that have seen it.

by Anonymousreply 7305/08/2012

Regular gay people on DL hate gay male celebrities and can't be unbiased.

by Anonymousreply 7405/09/2012

Ricky Martin and Evita cast performed on "The View" yesterday. He was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 7505/09/2012

Well I saw it and I don't tweet. I have a friend who is in the ensemble making her Broadway debut. Happy for her. The show has beautiful set and lighting design. Ricky looks great, sings great but isn't really much of an actor. Michael Ceveris is fantastic, a real pro. Max Von Essen nails it with 'On this Night of a Thousand Stars.' Great ensemble work and choreography by Rob Ashford. Usually I hate his over the top dances (Promises, Promises- How to Succeed) but a really nice job in this show. Unfortunately Elena Roger who seems like a really sweet girl is just not very good as Eva. Can't hit the notes, hard to understand. Good dancer though. Plan to go back to see Christina DeCicco, the Eva alternate.

by Anonymousreply 7605/09/2012

I agree about Elena, r76, but I hadn't thought about seeing the US. Thanks for the tip!

by Anonymousreply 7705/09/2012

Christina DeCicco is Eva Wed eve. and Sat. mat.

by Anonymousreply 7805/09/2012

Judith Light

Ricky Martin met with President @BarackObama today & I met with @Ricky_Martin after his amazing show. Two heroes!!

by Anonymousreply 7905/22/2012

You Must Love Her!

Patti LuPone Meets the Cast of Broadway’s New Evita

Great photo!

by Anonymousreply 8006/14/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!