Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Borgias

The DVD set of Season One just came out and I'm renting it. No one ever talks about this here, and I'm wondering if anyone here watches or has watched it.

Jeremy Irons, unfortunately, is an awful ham, and he reads all his lines with a Liza Minnelli slur. It's just become worse and worse over the years.

Joanne Whalley is pretty good as his cast-off mistress--I'm sorry Hollywood never really knew what to do with her. She's not untalented, and she's beautiful.

So far none of the younger men are very cute.

The costumes and CGI recreations of Rome are incredible--even better than what they had for THE TUDORS.

by Anonymousreply 6305/28/2013

I believe there was a thread about it here last year when it was first broadcast.

I think we talked a lot about French Canadian actor Francois Arnaud who plays Caesera Borgia. He is from Québec, is quite hot, and is rumored to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 103/31/2012

I really tried to get into it but found it to be dreadfully boring and neither of the older sons is hot in any way, shape or form. They're both bland and forgettable. I've watched other shows before that weren't that good because I found one of the male characters attractive. The Borgias fails on many different levels.

by Anonymousreply 203/31/2012

Most people I know seem to think that both Francois Arnaud and David Oakes are hot, and they both did some nudity last season.

by Anonymousreply 303/31/2012

Jeremy Irons' voice is becoming a distraction - it is so hoarse and scratchy because of all the chain smoking.

by Anonymousreply 503/31/2012

I know that Lurezia was little and blonde in real life, but the actress who plays her looks like a tiny china doll. She creeps me out.

by Anonymousreply 603/31/2012

I meant Lucrezia, not Lurezia--sorry.

by Anonymousreply 803/31/2012

Looking forward to season 2. I've re-watched some of season 1 on demand, and while it is not Emmy material, it is more than good enough to keep me interested. Irons paints a creepy, conflicted portrait of a dad, husband, lover and Pope. Arnaud as Cesare is hot, and very good in the role. The other siblings I can do without.

But my favorite supporting actor--putting the cute stable boy twink r7 mentions aside-- is Colm Feore as Borgia nemesis Cardinal De la Rovere (or whatever), who is delicious in his scheming against the crown.

by Anonymousreply 903/31/2012

Luke in pool with 4 guys:

by Anonymousreply 2203/31/2012

Luke in shorts:

by Anonymousreply 2303/31/2012

Luke jerking off:

by Anonymousreply 2403/31/2012

Luke's naked ass on 'The Borgias'

by Anonymousreply 2903/31/2012

Luke's naked ass on 'The Borgias'

by Anonymousreply 3003/31/2012

I appreciate the Luke Pasqualino spam. He is gorgeous.

Another Skins UK is going to be in this show. Sebastian de Souza, who played Matty.

by Anonymousreply 3303/31/2012

LOL how did this turn from a Borgias thread to a Luke Pasqualino thread?

by Anonymousreply 3404/01/2012

Luke has a google alert on his name, found the thread and "helpfully" provided pics of himself.

by Anonymousreply 3504/01/2012

So does anyone else agree that the pics above indicate Luke is gay?

by Anonymousreply 3604/01/2012

Lots of open minded straight kids have pictures of themselves "kissing" their other male friends. He's not actually kissing anyone in the pics either. Not mouth-to-mouth.

by Anonymousreply 3704/01/2012

Well, that would be going a bit far to do that in public, R37, but he's pretty much doing everything else - wrestling on the ground with other guys, licking their faces, nibbling their ears, wearing pink clothes etc.

by Anonymousreply 3804/01/2012

The producers said there won't be any hot Cesare/Lucrezia incest sex so I didn't even start watching it

by Anonymousreply 3904/01/2012

I really tried to like this, but I didn't.

I love period dramas and hate the Catholic Church, so you would think I would be the perfect demo.

I watched Season One, but am out.

by Anonymousreply 4004/01/2012

It's good...not great like Game of Thrones. For those who love period dramas with treachery and intrigue it is adequate. Even though Jeremy Irons is a ham, I do enjoy him.

by Anonymousreply 4104/01/2012

[quote]For those who love period dramas with treachery and intrigue it is adequate.

I love period dramas but I could not get through the first season. This show is even worse than The Tudors. It somehow makes treachery and intrigue BORING. I don't know if it's the writing, acting, or both, but it never clicked for me.

by Anonymousreply 4204/01/2012

Game of Thrones is decent, but it pales in comparison to I, Claudius and ROME.

by Anonymousreply 4304/01/2012

I like Rome but it too campy. Game of Thrones is more epic in scale also. Rome felt very rushed but then again if you only had 2 seasons to tell the entire story of Caesar and Augustus then it would make since that it all fell short. Damn HBO for canceling it.

by Anonymousreply 4404/01/2012

'Game of Throne's has moments where it is great and has epic potential, but I don't think it reaches the heights of 'The Lord of the Rings'.

It's writing is also very unmemorable. The only line that stood out from Season 1 was 'A Lannister always pays his debts'.

by Anonymousreply 4504/01/2012

Anybody getting excited about this coming back?

I was in Paris two weeks ago and there were promo posters for it; the living son and the daughter were featured, only behind them was another guy, not Jeremy Irons, dressed in white priest's robes. I don't know if Irons has left the show or if maybe the French version has another actor, or if maybe it's a new character.

Anybody know anything about this??

by Anonymousreply 4603/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 4703/04/2013

Anything on the guy who plays Cesare?

by Anonymousreply 4804/17/2013

So far there are no comments on the third season.

by Anonymousreply 4904/17/2013

Hey R49, I haven't seen a thread until now.

I think a lot of people are like me, they record the show and watch it during the week.

Saw the season premier two nights ago and it was okay. Yeah, there's going to be more of the same... The Borgias vs the Sforzas. How the Pope, whose power is so absolute, is somehow unable to put them down is beyond me. Doesn't he have an entire army?

From the previews they saw, it looks like Caterina Sforza makes nice (though not really I'm sure) with the Borgia Pope.

I LOVE some of the scenes.. The burning of the heretic priest last season... The grimy, gritty gay assassin who works for Cesare... I'm in love with him and want to see more scene of he and his apparent boyfriend. I think that character would have an awesome back story and obviously is hiding things and I'd love to see it explored.

We could do with less Lucrecia IMO, but looks like she's going to have the long suggested fling with her brother; apparently they're in love. I find her tiresome though.

LOVE the Pope's wife and wish we'd see more of her.

by Anonymousreply 5004/17/2013

If gay marriage is legal, could I marry Cesare?

by Anonymousreply 5104/17/2013

It's good, not great. I end up getting mad at it just about every time I watch it because of how dumbed down it is. Guess they figure no one knows the history. But I'm still watching

by Anonymousreply 5204/17/2013

Will this season give us more Michelino homosex?

by Anonymousreply 5304/17/2013

[quote]It's good...not great like Game of Thrones. For those who love period dramas with treachery and intrigue it is adequate. Even though Jeremy Irons is a ham, I do enjoy him.

Exactly as I feel. It's totally watchable when there's nothing else on. And I must say, it does look incredible. The sets and costumes are astonishing, especially when you compare them with their awful counterparts in DAVINCI'S DEMONS, which takes place at roughly the same time, yes?

by Anonymousreply 5404/17/2013

Da Vinci's Demons takes place roughly 25 years before The Borgias.

by Anonymousreply 5504/17/2013

I take it I'm the only DLer watching this?

Anybody else? What do you think? I love Micheletto but he's so friggen ugly. He has sex again with some hot guy in next week's episode (watched it on OnDemand).

Would it kill them to show the guy cleaned up a little bit. There's no way the Pope's son would have allowed his lieutenant to have gone around so messy and likely smelly.

Is Jeremy Irons not THE most campy, scene chewing actor in the world?

by Anonymousreply 5605/23/2013

[quote]Is Jeremy Irons not THE most campy, scene chewing actor in the world?

He certainly is. I've always said he is the gayest straight man on earth -- which made his recent comments about gay marriage even more ridiculous. I enjoy his scene chewing in this show, though.

I agree with you about Micheletto -- his naked body looked fine in this most recent episode, but his plastic-like face and stringy hair do him no favors. But the new boyfriend is a hottie!

by Anonymousreply 5705/23/2013

R57, I jump ahead to the next episode, not sure you're able to. If anyone wants spoiler/details of next week, I'll post.

Given this is a high camp, but deliciously fun series, with lost of nudity and some homosex thrown in, I'm really surprised more people on DL aren't talking about it. (Perhaps they should cast a 'Housewife' or Kardashian?)

Jeremy Irons seems to absolutely savor his high camp role and you can literally see him sucking on his lines after giving them heavy chews, loving every syllable. All those robes and finery only add to his enjoyment no doubt. I'd love it too I suppose.

The woman playing Catarina Sforza is beautiful but I'm growing tired of this entire storyline. It's getting difficult to believe that one woman or family would be able to so openly fight with and antagonize the Pope so personally before being eviscerated.

Also, I know that like all the characters, Micheleto is based on a real person but can't find anything on whether or not he was supposedly gay as he is on the show. I much more enjoyed the sex scene between him and his old boyfriend from back home, in the cemetery last season. That was pretty hot.

I'm still amazed Cesare (sp?) wouldn't command him to take a fucking bath every now and then, especially since Micheletto is seen as his top lieutenant.

by Anonymousreply 5805/28/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 5905/28/2013

I enjoy the show. Irons is having fun with it which is the right choice. The women are all superb. Gina McKee is extraordinary as Caterina Sforza. As is Steven Berkoff as Savonarola.

by Anonymousreply 6005/28/2013

They should get Fiona Shaw for next season.

Who would win the battle of the hams? Shaw or Irons?

by Anonymousreply 6105/28/2013

r61, Irons would eat her alive.

by Anonymousreply 6205/28/2013

Micheletto is NOT an attractive guy, but I find the fact he's so sexually aggressive very sexy.

by Anonymousreply 6305/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.