Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I decided to watch "Dallas" from the beginning, and it kinda sucks!

I was a kid when this first come on, and I LOVED it. Now, not so much. But I wanted to brush up before the new series starts this summer.

Things that I didn't remember about the show:

Victoria Principal is beautiful, but she's a TERRIBLE actress.

Charlene Tilton isn't the best actress, but she's little and cute, so I forgive her.

Patrick Duffy is so fucking HOT! How did I miss this?!?!

Linda Gray is pretty, and very talented.

Is Jim Davis wearing a toupee?

I'm on season two, and hoping it gets better...

by Anonymousreply 13112/03/2013

Are you watching DVDs or...? I am keen to see what I remember since I was so tiny when it aired.

by Anonymousreply 103/29/2012

Wasn't Lucy fucking Ray in the first season and it later was revealed that Ray's her uncle?

by Anonymousreply 203/29/2012

I'm watching the dvds. They seem to gather dust at my local library, so I decided to rent them.

Yes, Ray was involved with Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 303/29/2012

Patrick Duffy makes my mussy moist.

by Anonymousreply 403/29/2012

The first season is a half season, and it's indeed very dull. It gets a LOT better for the next eight seasons, and then it gets dull again for the last four. The last two seasons are without Linda Gray, and you can feel a loss in quality because of it - but it's still worth it if you've made it that far..

I enjoyed all the real estate talk and the oil deals, when I rewatched two years ago. All the scheming is more fun to witness when you're an adult and have witnessed similar scheming in your corporate life.

Linda Gray is a goddess, in my book, she's the perfect blend of beautiful, committed, sacrificing, vulnerable, fierce, angry, and camp all in one. She was seriously underrated as an actress, and she somehow always knew when to play which aspect of Sue Ellen. The series is worth it for her work alone. She takes the show into Grand Guignol territory at times, and that's what the show needed at those very times. There was some real brilliance there in letting things get campy, but not so much that you didn't feel for her.

Back in the day, and since she passed away, I remember everyone always saying how great an actress Barbara Bel Geddes was. I just don't see it. She was very one note, very 'lah de dah' and always sighed with exasperation for each and every line. Once in a while her character would get angry, and a couple of those times I thought she really hit the mark, but usually not. I think people are afraid to criticize the craft of a veteran actress from the Golden Age, but she's really overrated.

I feel Hagman and Gray were really the only truly good actors in the whole cast. Kercheval could be fun at times, though, but he was so homely, and you could almost smell cigarettes and whiskey on him through the TV screen! It was hard to sympathize with his plight when he was always doing much worse than J.R. in all his scheming...and he did it with such little charm most of the time.

I did love Audrey Landers as Afton Cooper, and how her character would come in and out of the show. Landers is no great actress, but her look for the time was so captivating. You just couldn't believe she would ever end up with Cliff, though.

Dack Rambo and his mammoth package is not to be missed OP...I think he's in seasons 7 thru 9?

I loathed April Stevens. God what a stupid boring character. She lingered way too long on that show.

I actually never thought Patrick Duffy was hot. He had a "mom ass" and big feathered hair, and seemed usually to be a weak character, and quite boring. I never got into his character or his looks. I think Chris Atkins, Dack Rambo, and that actor who played Lucy's boyfriend Mickey (forgot the actor's name) were the only good looking guys.

OP, it's worth watching the entire DVD series. I think that the show is one of the best in TV history, even given the weak moments in the first and last seasons. Hagman was world class, and it was his show. I think he was in every single episode, and it's a good thing he was.

by Anonymousreply 503/29/2012

Thanks OP, I will check my library.

Sue Ellen at the san-o-to-ri-um Again

Cliff Barnes and his lil takeout Chinese food boxes

Miss Ellie and her Peter-Pan collar dresses

Bawbee and his lush looks and steel blue eyes

All this and Pam's chestnut-burnished hair too!

by Anonymousreply 603/29/2012

I prefer the Ewing mansion in the first season. That looked much more like a house that they would have lived in as compared to that tiny ranch they shot at in all the seasons afterward.

My favorite season is season 6. Yeah, Lois Chiles kinda sucked but the way all the storylines came together in that climactic car accident with Sue Ellen and Mickey... wow. That was amazing. The fact that they ended the episode when JR is in bed with Chiles with Sue Ellen watching and there is NO background music is so effective.

And Sue Ellen looked so fabulous when she was arrested for shooting JR in that black and white dress.

by Anonymousreply 703/29/2012

It doesn't really get good till the lead up of the who shot JR storyline.

Victoria was (is) beautiful, but she sucked as an actress. Actually, the most beautiful was Kristin (Mary Crosby). I think there was another actress who played Kristin before Mary.

by Anonymousreply 803/29/2012

Bel Geddes received rave reviews for her two major Broadway hits, "Cat on A Hot Tin Roof" and "Mary, Mary."

I agree that she initially did not seem to add much to "Dallas," until Donna Reed tried and failed to play the part.

by Anonymousreply 903/29/2012

To listen to you snatches, you'd never know I was on the dang program!

by Anonymousreply 1003/29/2012

The template of the show and the back story created by David Jaocbs is nothing short of brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 1103/29/2012

One of the more impressive things about this show, moreso than any other prime time serial, is how they would manage to weave four or five different storylines that were unrelated at the beginning of the season, to culminate together at the end of the season in such a way as to make it believable and tragic...even in the worst seasons they managed to pull this off.

by Anonymousreply 1203/29/2012

Jenilee doesn't get on the show till late in the game.

R12, that's not true till season 3.

by Anonymousreply 1303/29/2012

Totally agree, r7. A few years ago, when the SOAP Network was still airing reruns of Dallas, I happened to catch that entire season. I really was their best, how every storyline, seemingly separate, all merged together at one moment. And it was brilliantly acted by Gray and Hagman.

Mickey was played by the beautiful Timothy Patrick Murphy, who sadly died of AIDS at the age of 29.

by Anonymousreply 1403/29/2012

Tina Louise is quite good in the first season as JR's secretary who falls off the roof of the Ewing Oil building.

Linda Gray was great. Originally her part was intended to be fairly small (she had been given only one big episode early on, where she gets held hostage and forced to dress up as Miss Texas again and sing in tears), but then as the season wore on the producers noticed how good she was especially in her reactions scenes around the living room in the famous cocktail hour scenes where everyone traded barbs with each other, and they decided to keep making her part bigger and bigger. By the end of the first season they had expanded her part enough that the season ending episode was about her alcoholism--Bobby and Pam became pushed a little to the side. (Originally, the show was mostly supposed to be about them and how JR interfered in their lives rather than about his relationship with Sue Ellen.)

I agree Miss Ellie sometimes did not have enough to do. Her best episodes by far are the ones where she has the mastectomy and also where she tries to break Jock's will and have him declared out of his right mind when he wrote it--she's terrific at the end of the episode where she loses, and her face shows the incredibly anguish of having dishonored his memory for nothing. But I agree in too many episodes she just didn't have enough to do.

Charlene Tilton was not a great actress, but she was hilarious delivering zingers back to JR at the cocktail hour. They never let him get the better of her there, and I always loved that.

Patrick Duffy had about the best body in the early 80s. He wasn't much of an actor though.

Victoria Principal is a dreadful actress and she always came across as cold and unpleasant. Her character was HUGELY helped when they brought in Priscilla Pointer to be Rebecca Wentworth, her mother who had abandoned her and Digger to run off with a Houston multimillionaire. Pointer was an excellent actress--very intense and commanding--and she gave something for Principal to work with in her scenes (Duffy gave her nothing, and Ken Kercheval was a big ham).

Campiest episodes of all were when Alexis Smith played Clayton Farlow's sister who had married an earl and then went nuts and kidnapped Miss Ellie and carried her away to a rural motel in the trunk of her car. Who can ever forget the San Angelo police department out in force after tracking her to her motel cabin, with the chief of police getting on the megaphone announcing (with a completely straight face), "LADY MONTFORD! WE HAVE YOU SURROUNDED! COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP!"

by Anonymousreply 1503/29/2012

"Charlene Tilton was not a great actress, but she was hilarious delivering zingers back to JR at the cocktail hour. They never let him get the better of her there, and I always loved that."

True, R15. She all had a wonderful curvy body at the time.

by Anonymousreply 1603/29/2012

[quote]Chris Atkins, Dack Rambo, and that actor who played Lucy's boyfriend Mickey (forgot the actor's name) were the only good looking guys.

You're forgetting Mitch Cooper, Lucy's husband.

by Anonymousreply 1703/30/2012

Priscilla was beautiful and a bad actress as well.

I loved spunky little Lucy and Pam's evil sister, also gorgeous, Morgan Brittany.

by Anonymousreply 1803/30/2012

It was always fun to watch JR destroy someone.

by Anonymousreply 1903/30/2012

Morgan was beautiful. I found her nose very attractive. She was on Lois and Clark too as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 2003/30/2012

I overlooked Patrick Duffy when the show originally aired. I seldom watched it, but caught the whole thing on Soapnet. Then I saw how delicious Duffy was. But Dack Rambo put him to shame. Dack's bulge should have gotten its own place in the opening credits! It was IMPRESSIVE. Victoria was an exotically beautiful woman during the first couple of seasons, but then started with the hair changes and face work, which ruined her beauty.

by Anonymousreply 2103/30/2012

Loved dallas when i was a teenager and dynasty for the matter. Cant be overestimated how popular these shows were in the early and mid 80s. Both shows were so outrageous, funny and over the top for that time. Dont bother watching dallas after victoria principal leaves in the car crash. Victoria is no meryl but she was perfect as pam. She brought just the right amount of sweetness and frailty to the role you couldnt help root for her. And her chemistry with patrick duffy was electric. The show would never be the same after her and linda gray left. Right up to patrick duffy leaving the show could do no wrong. Perfect casting and highly watchable and entertaining storylines. It really lost so much credibility after bringing duffy back and cheating the audience by telling you his death was a dream.

by Anonymousreply 2203/30/2012

I never understood why Barbara Bel Geddes was chosen to play the mother of Larry Hagman when he was only 9 years younger than her.

by Anonymousreply 2303/30/2012

About the same age difference as Angela Landsbury playing Lawrence Harvey's mother on The Manchurian Candidate.

by Anonymousreply 2403/30/2012

The last few seasons were pretty bad. The nadir came with Sasha Mitchell and Cathy Podewell. All those peripheral characters who started taking the center stage (April, Michelle, George Kennedy,...) contributed very little and sucked the life out of the show.

by Anonymousreply 2503/30/2012

R24 Exactly my point - it wasn't believeable and was laughable.

by Anonymousreply 2603/30/2012

Linda Gray and Larry Hagman made this show.

by Anonymousreply 2703/30/2012

Afton had a Melanie Griffith vibe. I forget who played her.

by Anonymousreply 2803/30/2012

Who has time to watch ALL of the Dallas seasons? OMFG Are you people eldergay shut ins?

by Anonymousreply 2903/30/2012

Ignore the troll.

by Anonymousreply 3003/30/2012

This thread brought back memories of the young Timothy Patrick Murphy who played Mickey Trotter.

I looked him up on wikipedia and learned he supposedly had an affair with the actor Brad Davis.

Also,his younger brother, Patrick Sean Murphy, was killed in the World Trade Center attacks of September 11, 2001.

by Anonymousreply 3103/30/2012

I remember scenes when Pam would be out having lunch with someone and just before the scene ended Pam would gurgle or make a face or something.

by Anonymousreply 3203/30/2012

R5 must be my grandmother. She thought that piece of shit was the best thing on TV, too.

by Anonymousreply 3303/30/2012

My favorite season of Dallas:

by Anonymousreply 3403/30/2012

ah, Patrick Duffy, The Man from Atlantis.

and...Linda Gray WAS great...by far my favorite actress.

by Anonymousreply 3503/30/2012

I remember Dack Rambo. Absolutely gorgeous. Didn't he have a twin brother. Died of aids. So sad

by Anonymousreply 3603/30/2012

I always thought this show was such a snoozefest. There was always an inordinate amount of time spent on business deals and money transactions. Blah! Give me the craziness of DYNASTY or FALCON CREST any day.

by Anonymousreply 3703/30/2012

I remember when Jenilee Harrison shows up and Bobby is by the pool in his Spedo looking amazing.

Harrison was awful on Three's Company but I could tolerate her more on "Dallas." Loved when she pushed Marilee Stone into the pool.

And those cocktail hour scenes were some of the best.

by Anonymousreply 3803/30/2012

One of the most pointless storylines they ever had was with Susan Flannery. Did they even know where they were planning on going with that story? She speaks with JR, tapes the conversations... and nothing.

by Anonymousreply 3903/30/2012

"Telephone call, Mr. Ewing."

"Thank you, Teresa."

by Anonymousreply 4003/30/2012

I know the actress who played Donna Krebs is a big fundie but I loved her.

by Anonymousreply 4103/30/2012

I really disliked the last few seasons of the show because - with all the original female leads gone (Pam, Sue Ellen, Lucy) and replaced with little more than appendages to the men, the show became VERY male dominated (and it was already a male leaning show). It literally was almost all about Bobby and JR and business deals. With each season that passed, the female characters became weaker and weaker and became nothing more than widow dressing.

by Anonymousreply 4203/30/2012

"Cant be overestimated how popular these shows were in the early and mid 80s."

The "who shot JR" mania made the cover of Time Magazine, back when Time was still a very influential publication.

by Anonymousreply 4303/30/2012

Tina Louise kept flipping that blowdried mane every few seconds. It got distracting.

by Anonymousreply 4403/30/2012

Actually it was Dack who died of AIDS. His twin brother Dirk died in a motorcycle accident years earlier.

by Anonymousreply 4503/30/2012

It's called an acting choice, R44.

by Anonymousreply 4603/30/2012

People also forget that Susan Howard was one of the best actresses on the show. Yes, I know we're supposed to hate her because she's some Jesus-loving right-wing fundie, but she was terrific on Dallas. She and BBG were the only two from the series to ever be nominiated for Emmys. Although that whole deaf child storyline during the dream season seemed really out of place on the show, she and Kanaly did some great work that season.

by Anonymousreply 4703/30/2012

Agreed, R47.

by Anonymousreply 4803/30/2012

[quote] She and BBG were the only two from the series to ever be nominiated for Emmys

Excuse me??

Linda Gray, Larry Hagman and the late Jim Davis

by Anonymousreply 4903/30/2012

I love how the first season or "miniseries' was shot during one of the coldest winters in Dallas in years and so everybody looks as though they're freezing. I believe Charlene Tilton even got pneumonia and was nearly replaced. Probably from the scene where she rides her horse to the mailbox in the snow.

by Anonymousreply 5003/30/2012

r15- Tina Louise is quite good in the first season as JR's secretary who falls off the roof of the Ewing Oil building.

I guess that supports the stories that Tina is hard to work with.

Producers: "We'll show that bitch, and push her off a roof in season 1".

by Anonymousreply 5103/30/2012

loved Dallas. But Falcon Crest was the underrated 2nd best.

For Lance Cumson and Cole Gioberti alone.

But, damn, if I didn't love Timothy Patrick Murphy, Chris Atkins, and esp Patrick Duffy.

How did I not know as a toddler I was gay???

by Anonymousreply 5203/30/2012

Actors on Dallas who died from AIDS:

Tom Fuccello Senator Dave Culver Dack Rambo Jack Ewing Timothy Patrick Murphy Mickey Trotter

by Anonymousreply 5303/30/2012

Tom Fuccello was sexy, would have loved to see him shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 5403/30/2012

Is this Tina Louise of Gilligan's Island fame?

by Anonymousreply 5503/30/2012

Excellent idea OP, it's supposed to be a rainy weekend and I have no money to do anything so I think I will see if I can get this at the library. My mother wouldn't let this "trash" on the TV when it was on so I missed the whole primetime soap era.

by Anonymousreply 5603/30/2012

I understand that Hagman was a big homophobe and made life difficult on the set for Rambo, who was openly gay.

by Anonymousreply 5703/30/2012

Hagman disputes that.

He said what Rambo said was so far-fetched and untrue it is not even worth arguing about.

by Anonymousreply 5803/30/2012

I loved how nobody ever said "Bye" when hanging up the phone. Anyone else notice that. I always laughed at how rude it seemed.

by Anonymousreply 6003/30/2012

Wait 'til you get to the J. Eddie Peck seasons. He was YUMMY as Tommy.

by Anonymousreply 6103/30/2012

I work in the building that is just above "ing" in "starring" in the opening credits from season 8.

The buildings that served as the fictional headquarters for Barnes-Wentworth, shown in the 3rd frame that slides by, are now completely surrounded by other businesses, apartment complexes, etc.

And, of course, Cowboys Stadium is gone.

by Anonymousreply 6203/30/2012

Fuccello appeared shirtless often when he was on OLTL.

by Anonymousreply 6303/30/2012

Brad Pitt had a small part in the later seasons, as well, non?

by Anonymousreply 6403/30/2012

I would love to have Charlene Tilton's hair.

by Anonymousreply 6503/30/2012

Damn you, Digger Barnes!

by Anonymousreply 6603/31/2012

Yeah, r64. Pitt played the boyfriend of the daughter of Jenna Wade (Priscilla Presley). He was only on for a few episodes.

by Anonymousreply 6703/31/2012

Jenna Wade is the best example for a damaged character. When Bobby died, she started crying and didn't really stop until she left for Switzerland. She was fun to watch initially being a great easygoing counterpart to the sweet but wooden and somewhat uptight Pam. But from Bobby's death on it was all about being miserable. The other women didn't fare better after Bobby came, which I thought was a much bigger crime than Bobby's resurrection.

by Anonymousreply 6803/31/2012

Aside from the decline in the ratings after Bobby's death, Larry Hagman reportedly felt that the show was becoming too female centered as that season saw Pam replacing Bobby at Ewing Oil and Sue Ellen finally standing on her own and shaking off the alcohol. It was actually a pretty good season, but Bobby's resurrection and the dismissal of the season as a dream destroyed the show. I stopped watching soon after, when Pam "died."

by Anonymousreply 6903/31/2012

Once you give up integrity, the rest is a piece of cake.

by Anonymousreply 7003/31/2012

[quote] It was actually a pretty good season, but Bobby's resurrection and the dismissal of the season as a dream destroyed the show.

Ratings dropped because that is the season the show went into a international intrigue storyline.

With the exception of Linda Gray and Susan Howard every single actor hated that year, as it got away from the original concept of the show. That being a Battling Texas family.

by Anonymousreply 7103/31/2012

I'd add the actor who played Sue Ellen's boyfriend Dusty to the list of good-looking Dallas cast members.

by Anonymousreply 7203/31/2012

I watched the entire series on DVD until a quarter of the way through the season when Bobby was dead. Way too much screen time for Barbara Carrera and George Maharis and Marc Singer. The only saving grace was BBG's return.

Apparently, the ratings went up the season Bobby returned but once they got rid of Pam, in the worst way imaginable...

Would love a shocking cliffhanger when Pam makes an appearance on the new series. Principal would never do it but she's had enough plastic surgery to successfully explain all the work that was done to her after the accident.

by Anonymousreply 7303/31/2012

Another hot guy was Randolph Powell, who played one of Lucy's boyfriends. Really great hairy chest.

by Anonymousreply 7403/31/2012

WEHT Barbara Carrera?

by Anonymousreply 7503/31/2012

R75 last i saw she was being fucked furiously by the beautiful michael pare whos ass i wanted to climb in . Some really bad direct to video 90s movie.

by Anonymousreply 7603/31/2012

Bobby's death wasn't "just a dream". It really happened on Knots Landing! The producers of Dallas never addressed that little issue.

Oh, and Mills was an insufferable bore.

by Anonymousreply 7704/01/2012

One of the producers once said in an interview that Dallas was a show that basically could have played just around the breakfast table. It was mostly talk just in different settings. I guess it's true, even compared to other nighttime soaps. Still, a nice guilty pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 7804/01/2012

Things really didn't start to get cooking until half way through season 3. It had become full on soap by then. IMO even the below par last three seasons are still better than most of the crap currently on television.

by Anonymousreply 7904/01/2012

For the rewatchers has anyone ever skipped the dream season and gone straight to the 1986-87 season? I'd be so curious to see how the continuity flows and if there are any jarring inconsistencies.

by Anonymousreply 8004/01/2012

R80 other than victoria principal, linda gray and priscilla presleys hair being longer not really. They did rename the steve forrest character who played the jock imposter. Of course donna reed magically changed into barbara bel geddes. I remember dusty came back into sue ellens life right before bobby " died" but after pams dream he was gone. You really cant pinpoint exactly when pam started dreaming at the end of the 85 season.

by Anonymousreply 8104/01/2012

I'm doing that right now R80, and they didn't miss a beat.

by Anonymousreply 8204/01/2012

"Dallas" Creator David Jacobs Says He's Been Excluded from TNT Reboot

David Jacobs, creator of “Dallas” and “ Knots Landing,” tells me he’s been excluded entirely from the coming reboot of the famous series on TNT. He will get to keep his “created by” credit, but nothing else, no money, and no participation. “I’ll get the $714 Writers Guild fee for a sequel,” Jacobs says. Jacobs tells me found out that “Dallas” was being restarted second hand. When he inquired about it, he says he told everyone — including new head writer Cynthia Cidre–that he was essentially retired and didn’t want to write the show. “I didn’t want any authority,” he told her at their one lunch. But he did think a consultancy wouldn’t be out of the question since basically, “Dallas” relies on all the characters he created in the 1970s–JR Ewing, Bobby Ewing, Sue Ellen, and their family, even the same Southfork Ranch set.

“All I said was that I’d like to be a presence. I told her if you need anything on the back story, I’m there. I never heard anything from her again until I heard TNT ordered a pilot.” Jacobs was involved with the failed John Travolta movie version, because the movie and TV rights had been separated in his original contract. “In the early 2000s, we took the movie to Warner Bros. They passed, and then New Regency bought the movie rights. But they didn’t make the movie.”

When Jacobs finally read Cidre’s script, he thought it wasn’t bad. “I said it wasn’t audacious enough. I made some notes.” But Jacob says after he submitted them to the network he was told they wouldn’t show them to Cidre. Why not? “I was told there were too many cooks. I was going to make a t shirt up that said, Too many cooks, get rid of the with the recipe.”

This year, when the producers put in for credits, they asked for “Developed by Cynthia Cidre, based on “Dallas” created by David Jacobs.” But the Writers Guild denied that, and ruled that the only credit was “Created by David Jacobs.” It was his show, still, at least at the Writers Guild.

Once the WGA ruled for him, the production extended a tiny olive branch–but with a proviso. “They offered me some money and a consultancy, but made it clear they didn’t care whether I didn’t do any consulting. But they asked me to waive all my rights.” He refused, so negotiations came to an end. “I asked to see Cynthia, and I asked her to meet me for a drink or lunch. And she said no. She refused me three times. I wrote a memo to her and said, I don’t want any authority.” Their lawyer told my lawyer I was too aggressive.”

After Jacobs created “Dallas,” he went on to run “Family,” an Emmy winning ABC drama of the 70s. But he always kept in touch with (the now deceased) Leonard Katzman, who ran “Dallas” for years. “I was around, that’s all I wanted, to be around.” For the record, he told Katzman that the famous Bobby Ewing shower scene–when Pam’s dream wiped out an entire awful season– was a “dumb idea.”

Jacobs says now the producers have cut him out completely. “I will not waive my rights. The material isn’t bad. But I read the scripts and found they were very plot driven. I thought she was going to have trouble down the road. The original “Dallas” and “Knots Landing” ran five years too long because the audience was so engaged with the characters. You didn’t need to come up with constant plot points. The scripts are good. But they should have been Bobby’s kid the bad one, and JR’s kld the good one. Bobby has a new wife, and she’s from Houston. She should have been from main line Philadelphia, or Boston or New York. Or very rich. But I never had the opportunity to express any of this.”

The revived “Dallas” launches on TNT on June 13th with a two hour premiere.

by Anonymousreply 8304/27/2012

Linda "Swellen" Gray was so fucking sexy. The only woman I ever wanted to fuck.

by Anonymousreply 8404/27/2012

Loved the first years of Dallas. I wish they could have held onto Mary Crosby. Kristin was a wonderfully manipulative bitch and could have made JR squirm for years.

But, as time wore on, with only JR, Bobby and Cliff left of the core cast, the show lost its direction and became just another show.

Linda Gray was amazing. She did so much with her eyes. Anybody remember her as a transexual on All That Glitters?

by Anonymousreply 8504/27/2012

Linda Gray does have beautiful large eyes. I am surprised that Mary Crosby didn't go further in her career. She had the beauty and the talent to play the vixen.

by Anonymousreply 8604/27/2012

Interesting article. David Jacobs was hardly involved with Dallas beyond the first couple of seasons. He wasn't responsible for any of the show's later must see plots. It sounds as if he feels his ass isn't being kissed enough by TNT and Cidre. Hate to hear they didn't make Christopher the villain in this. It seems like a missed opportunity but I'm still really looking forward to this.

by Anonymousreply 8704/28/2012

Chung Ho not like Victoria Principal, she is the much bitchness. She broken Andy Gibb's heart and made him into drugs and death. Not nice woman at all

by Anonymousreply 8804/28/2012

Jacobs created "Dallas", but "Knots" was always more his baby. I can see why the new head writer doesn't want to listen to his notes.

by Anonymousreply 8904/28/2012

Principal was incapable of engendering sympathy for Pam because her extreme bitchiness as a person came through in all she did. Her ugly-ass henna, Jhirmack shag didn't help.

I got to see Miss Gray in the altogether when she toured in The Graduate as Mrs. Robinson. This was years after Dallas and she was still in good shape.

The female cast in the final seasons was just so weak and so UNKNOWN! Why didn't they shell out for a name or two to replace the lost stars?

by Anonymousreply 9004/28/2012

Victoria principal leaving dallas in 87 still left a gaping hole in dallas from which it never recovered. It should have ended when she left. But hagman, the producers, writers and cbs wanted to drag it into the ground. I really enjoyed victoria on the show. Jesse metcalfe from the new dallas on tnt said recently producers would like to have her back. Victoria has said it depends on how the script is so hopefully they will get her back.

by Anonymousreply 9104/28/2012

I always felt there was unfinished business with the Bobby and Pam story. Maybe the new show will give us the reunion we've been waiting 25 years for.

by Anonymousreply 9204/28/2012

I didn't see Linda in The Graduate, but I bet she was really good. I liked her dalliance with Dusty on Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 9304/28/2012

I can see why they need to replace characters after a while. More than Pam, Sue Ellen really had done it (and them) all. Her story was really told after she divorced JR twice. And Pam could bitch at Bobby only so many times. The real failure in later years was that they indeed didn't replace worn out characters with interesting characters. All characters introduced in later years were introduced for one story line only and then they didn't know what to do with them anymore. I suppose there is a small risk of this happening again. With Dallas on cable we can probably look into five to seven seasons at max with 10 episodes each. Shouldn't be too difficult to come up with stories for 70 episodes with so many main characters who all have a rich background already.

by Anonymousreply 9404/29/2012

I had a HUGE crush on Jack Scalia, who played Sue Ellen's lover. That dimple on the chin of his handsome face made my heart race.

by Anonymousreply 9504/29/2012

Season one of the new series will consist of ten episodes. I'm thinking this will have to pull in 6-8 million viewers a week to get picked up for another year based on TNT numbers. I'm sure Duffy, Gray and especially Hagman aren't working for free either.

by Anonymousreply 9604/29/2012

R94 There were certain core characters that dallas couldnt do without. Jr, bobby , sue ellen, pam and probably cliff. In earlier seasons other stronger supporting characters were brought in that worked well because of the writing and were well cast. In latter seasons with the exception of barbara eden the characters were idiotic and the actors did not fit in with the show. Without sue ellen and pam jr and bobby were much less.

by Anonymousreply 9704/29/2012

Wow R5. Can you spell "delusional"?

by Anonymousreply 9804/29/2012

It's really hard to keep a show going beyond about 5-7 years.

by Anonymousreply 9904/30/2012

I'm on season three of the dvd's.

Pam has a poodle hairdo, and Lucy is now a model. GMAFB!

I've started to do a lot of fast-forwarding (AGAIN), but I'm still hangin in.

by Anonymousreply 10005/01/2012

Stop watching op after victoria leaves at the end of ninth season i believe. It goes downhill very fast!

by Anonymousreply 10105/01/2012

Strange fact about Dusty Farlow? That's the real name of porn star Berke Banks. (Dustin Farlow)

by Anonymousreply 10205/01/2012

I am watching one of the later seasons right now. The arc where Carter McKay is introduced was actually very well done. George Kennedy was great in that role and the way they did the war between his ranch and Southfork and his overall back story made him a very interesting character. Dallas had lots of flaws in the later seasons but McKay was a great asset. Scenes with Kennedy were always worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 10305/20/2012

Linda Gray is Lindsay Wagner's aunt.

by Anonymousreply 10405/21/2012

WAS.... by marriage only.

by Anonymousreply 10505/24/2012

The theme music was great!

by Anonymousreply 10605/24/2012

I thought then younger generation (Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe) were the stars...have they even been mentioned in this thread?

by Anonymousreply 10705/25/2012

If early buzz is any indication this thing is going to be a huge hit for TNT. "J.R." has a facebook account and posts updates daily. I've been shocked that these things literally get thousands of likes and comments on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 10805/26/2012

Charlene had a cute little figure, didn't she. She and JR were fun to watch together.

by Anonymousreply 10908/15/2012

marilee stone is hot looking she has hot looking feet would love her to rub them all over my face

by Anonymousreply 11012/02/2012

would like to get a footjob from her hot little feet

by Anonymousreply 11112/02/2012

After JR was shot, Bobby took he reins of the company. Here's a scene in which Bobby gets a phone call about a refinery deal coming through. JR, when alone with Sue Ellen, later throws a fit of Texan proportions.

by Anonymousreply 11212/02/2012

The gay episode where Lucy finds out the guy she was with was closeted was WAY ahead of its time. Booby was very sympathetic even threatening JR when he threatened to out the guy and calling him "more of a man" than his own brother would ever be. This was pretty revolutionary in 1978.

by Anonymousreply 11312/02/2012

Even though Dallas was a big success at the time, it wasn't my fave show. There was too much political shit. I wanted it to be more campy; that's why I ended up liking Dynasty better.

by Anonymousreply 11412/02/2012

Another thing about the show is that despite the ratings drop off, the last season of "Dallas" was good. Even stuff like Kim Foster shooting Susan Lucci were surprisingly dark where it could have played for high camp.

The actress who played Callie, JR's hillbilly bride, was very underrated. I'm surprised she never made it big in movies.

by Anonymousreply 11512/02/2012

I just ordered all of seasons 1 and 2 and I LOVE it. I can't really understand this fascination as I've never been one for soap operas. However, I find the characters and storyline more interesting than anything on mainstream telly right now and I just can't quit watching it! Ray Krebbs is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 11606/28/2013

Charlene Tilton (Lucy) in 2012.

You will not recognize her!

by Anonymousreply 11706/28/2013

the reboot needs to lighten up and be campier.

by Anonymousreply 11808/23/2013

I forgot I had started this thread!

I made it to season 11 and quit. Pam was gone, and the reboot was so boring to me that it just wasn't worth it.

I did enjoy some of the stories, though.

by Anonymousreply 11908/23/2013

R1116 - It gets a whole lot better.

by Anonymousreply 12008/23/2013

I don't know if Dallas fans are aware, but JR made several appearances on Knots and was instantly captivated by one Abby Cunningham! In other words, a female version of himself.

by Anonymousreply 12109/25/2013

Never was too keen on Dallas. I liked Linda Gray best but the men were not very appealing. Cliff Barnes anyone ? And some bizarre casting choices: the girl from Three's Company comes to mind. Dallas had a grey monotous look. No colors. And all this Ewing oil stuff was so boring. I don't think it'll stand the test of time. Oh I did like Jack Scallia. The only hot stud on the show.

by Anonymousreply 12209/25/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 12309/25/2013

R122 - Cliff Barnes was a great character at first, but they used him too often.

by Anonymousreply 12409/25/2013

[quote]Back in the day, and since she passed away, I remember everyone always saying how great an actress Barbara Bel Geddes was. I just don't see it. She was very one note, very 'lah de dah' and always sighed with exasperation for each and every line. Once in a while her character would get angry, and a couple of those times I thought she really hit the mark, but usually not. I think people are afraid to criticize the craft of a veteran actress from the Golden Age, but she's really overrated.

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 12512/03/2013

Not to mention Bel Geddes was as dowdy as all get out. It was hard to imagine her as the grande dame of South Fork that men would have been fighting over. And it was ridiculous that Howard Keel would want Suellen and then fall for Ellie.

by Anonymousreply 12612/03/2013

Blink Blink Geddes didn't even attempt a Texan accent. Reed was far more believable as Miss Ellie. It seems as though some people think just because Blink Blink Geddes originated the role she gave the superior performance.

by Anonymousreply 12712/03/2013

Just didn't like it, not handsome men, poor acting from most of the cast. I prefer the new series, Josh Henderson is a hottie in it.

by Anonymousreply 12812/03/2013

[quote]Just didn't like it, not handsome men, poor acting from most of the cast. I prefer the new series, Josh Henderson is a hottie in it.

I loved it. But, oddly enough, the general standard of acting on the show was quite poor:

Blink Blink Geddes - second only to Katherine Hepburn as the most mannered, affected actress who ever lived.

Linda Gray - Eh, she, eh, poured that Southern accent on way too thick at the start, then, eh, forgot about it. Eh, and, an editor's nightmare.

Patrick Duffy - One emotion: constipated.

Larry Hagman - Clearly on autopilot.

Charlene Tilton - She seemed nice, but she was no Meryl Streep.

Priscilla BEALUIEUAUIEAOUIE-presley - Did she think that middle name would make people take her seriously as an actress?

Susan Howard - So. Act. Tor. Y. Why? Why! [italic]Wh-yyy[/italic]? Did. She. Say. Sverything. Like. She. Was. Telling. Someone. Their. Family. Had. Just. Been. Killed.

Victoria Principal - Started off bad. (Then improved, drastically.)

Ken Kercheval was the only good main actor on the show. The general standard of acting on [italic]Knots Landing[/italic] was [italic]much[/italic] better. Joan Van Ark still has me crying over those babies. And, it had DL-fave Constance McCashin!

by Anonymousreply 12912/03/2013

R73, George Maharis was never on "Dallas"! Are you thinking of Glenn Corbett, who was on the show and who also replaced George on "Route 66"?

by Anonymousreply 13012/03/2013

R129 -

Ken Kercheval overacted.

by Anonymousreply 13112/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.